Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris and 101 guests

Post #481121  Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:36 pm 

Ash wrote:
Just saw that Bayern have quietly, to me anyway, signed Goretzka to be completed in the summer. Don’t know if people had twigged that. They really are Man Utd circa 1990-96 aren’t they. A giant Barvarian Hoover roaming Germany talent sucking everyone else dry.

I was going to post it yesterday. I was hoping a while back that Arsenal might get him, but someone (think it might have been Hazuki, but if it wasn't apologies to him) pointed out to me that if Bayern wanted him, that's where he would probably go. But if Arsenal weren't going to get him, I'm delighted Bayern have. I think Goretzka is at the right place to develop his game. At Arsenal it's likely he'd have been Wengerised.

Post #481122  Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:00 pm 

Sanchez & Mika is a straight swap, no cash involved.

Not exactly the deal of the century.

Post #481123  Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:03 pm 

Mkhitaryan having a medical in next 48 hours according to Sky Sports News.

Bloody good deal if you ask me. If we'd got rid of Sanchez when I said we should we would have been in a far better position now but then some of you didn't want that did you..........................

Post #481124  Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:39 pm 

socrates wrote:

Indeed. It probably reflects the standing of both clubs.

Post #481125  Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:52 pm 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:

More likely it reflects the contract status of both players. At this point we're lucky to get anything for Sanchez. Getting a talented player with serious question marks surrounding him seems about right.

Post #481126  Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
If we'd got rid of Sanchez when I said we should we would have been in a far better position now but then some of you didn't want that did you..........................

To be fair, most of the forum wanted him sold in the summer and you have spouted some awful nonsense about him from time to time.

Post #481127  Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Bloody good deal if you ask me. If we'd got rid of Sanchez when I said we should we would have been in a far better position now but then some of you didn't want that did you..........................

No we didn't and funny enough those Bournemouth and Nott Forest performances were down to the players you want at the club. The proof will be in what happens from here. I understand hat we will now be challengers from here to the end of the season.

Post #481128  Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:17 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:
Just saw that Bayern have quietly, to me anyway, signed Goretzka to be completed in the summer. Don’t know if people had twigged that. They really are Man Utd circa 1990-96 aren’t they. A giant Barvarian Hoover roaming Germany talent sucking everyone else dry.

I was going to post it yesterday. I was hoping a while back that Arsenal might get him, but someone (think it might have been Hazuki, but if it wasn't apologies to him) pointed out to me that if Bayern wanted him, that's where he would probably go. But if Arsenal weren't going to get him, I'm delighted Bayern have. I think Goretzka is at the right place to develop his game. At Arsenal it's likely he'd have been Wengerised.

Hard to argue with that Bernard, more’s the pity. Young player with a few seasons under his belt in the top flight, everything suggests he will develop at Bayern into a star for club and country. It was the quiet inevitability of them acquiring him that struck me.

Post #481129  Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:24 pm 

socrates wrote:

Is that right? I was expecting cash to be coming our way as well as Mkhitaryan. It'll be interesting to see how Mkhitaryan works out. Fabulously gifted, but can flatter to deceive. Reminds me a bit of Alan Hudson. Okay, to be pedantic maybe he doesn't quite have Hudson's technique but he does have Hudson's inconsistency and his tendency to disappear from games.

I didn't realise Mkhitaryan is basically the same age as Sanchez. Sanchez had his 29th last month on the 19th December. Mkhitaryan has his 29th birthday tomorrow on the 21st January.

Post #481130  Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:31 pm 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:

Indeed. One goes on to play in CL, the other in EL.. :angel8:

Post #481131  Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:35 pm 

So if Mikhi really was tearful when leaving MU, I can understand why. He could still be playing in EL next season. At the same time, Alexis paying still in CL. :icon_mrgreen1:

Post #481132  Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:47 pm 

Zed wrote:
So if Mikhi really was tearful when leaving MU, I can understand why. He could still be playing in EL next season. At the same time, Alexis paying still in CL. :icon_mrgreen1:

Do we get in the Europa League if we finish sixth, because I see that as our most likely position at the end of the season?

Post #481133  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:10 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Do we get in the Europa League if we finish sixth, because I see that as our most likely position at the end of the season?

5th is the only league position to guarantee Europa league, but this season 6th will almost certainly get the league cup place unless Bristol City can pull off 2 miraculous results. If arsenal win the league cup then 7th will get Europa as well I think

Post #481134  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:13 am 

socrates wrote:

It was this or lose him for zero in the summer. We backed ourselves in to this and in the end salvaged the equivalent of £30m for a player with 6 months left on his deal.

I’m more concerned by the £60m profit we’ve made in transfers so far this season not being spent. Maybe we’ll spend all that on Aubameyang but that still only bring a us to a zero spend. We have loads more money to invest, this underinvestment for years and years is what has pushed arsenal backwards every year

Post #481135  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:31 am 

bubblechris wrote:
If we'd got rid of Sanchez when I said we should we would have been in a far better position now but then some of you didn't want that did you..........................

What is this "Mirror , mirror on the wall who is the wisest of them all" routine ...... myself , Bernard and plenty of others were screaming SELL when figures of 60 million were bandied around .

Post #481136  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:41 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

No we didn't and funny enough those Bournemouth and Nott Forest performances were down to the players you want at the club. The proof will be in what happens from here. I understand hat we will now be challengers from here to the end of the season.

hey Big Guy .... flicked the Pontiac 350 off ..bought it for $600 ... gave it a clean and a paint sold it for $1000 . Could have got more but thought what the hell ...... get rid of

Post #481137  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:57 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

hey Big Guy .... flicked the Pontiac 350 off ..bought it for $600 ... gave it a clean and a paint sold it for $1000 . Could have got more but thought what the hell ...... get rid of

Good business. Better to sell when an offer comes along or else you might have to take much less. Funnily enough a bit like Alexis deal

Post #481138  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:18 am 

I remember we used to tie up Fabregas with more than a year left on his contract, sometimes 2 years out. Henry as well until he didn't. It should be the first sign a player is looking elsewhere if negotiations are dragging, stalled on their end. Özil, Sanchez and the big names should be on long contracts. At least 18-24 months out, start negotiations and if they are not committing, then plans drafted to sell them rather than go to the last season and they have all the advantages.

Post #481139  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:34 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I remember we used to tie up Fabregas with more than a year left on his contract, sometimes 2 years out. Henry as well until he didn't. It should be the first sign a player is looking elsewhere if negotiations are dragging, stalled on their end. Özil, Sanchez and the big names should be on long contracts. At least 18-24 months out, start negotiations and if they are not committing, then plans drafted to sell them rather than go to the last season and they have all the advantages.

So following that thru those who expire in less than 18 months ,we get rid of Wilshire Özil,Ramsay Giroud, Čech, Monreal, Ospina immediately. I am not debating who we should keep just pointing out those that fall under the 18 month mark now.

Post #481140  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:36 am 

I recall when I first discovered The Arsenal. Knew nothing about football (and some would claim its still the case :icon_mrgreen: ), I didn't know we were a large club. Loved the name, was working with some Londoners at the time in Japan and new and was hanging out with them. They were big Chelsea supporters and I was bored sh*tless like a respectable Yank should be about the sport...lol..and thinking, why are you supporting a club named after a girl?

I kept seeing Arsenal vs..whomever on other screens, and they caught me attention when we were down 1-0 to a bad penalty and Tony Adams was yelling for us to move up and be more attacking. Barking orders. I loved our pluck. I thought we were some small club in the north somewhere. Underdogs. Chose us right than and there. I was sorely disappointed initially we were one of the big clubs. I didn't choose Man United specifically for that reason. I was >>>this close<<< to choosing Palace having visited the area and some arcane Benny Hill reference.

Point I am belaboring to make is Sanchez and others before or that will come like him who will disrespect the club by going to a direct rival (another reason I don't have as much enmity for Henry or Fabregas when they transferred) is they can 'frack' (any Battlestar Galactica fans on here?) off to where ever. I'd take a committed bunch who loved the club and gave their best who could do no better than 5th than the ingrates we've been getting.

The Arsenal I fell in love with had players who were happy as peaches to be playing or the club and wanted to end their careers there. Yeah, I know in this era of big money, sugar daddy owners and such that its not the case as much as before but darn it, lets get as close as possible.

I'm feeling much closer to Brentford these days. I'll definitely see a match when I come to London (sooner than you think).

Post #481141  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:57 am 

kiwipete wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

What is this "Mirror , mirror on the wall who is the wisest of them all" routine ...... myself , Bernard and plenty of others were screaming SELL when figures of 60 million were bandied around .

Quite right kiwipete. Didn't Hazuki also imply last night that there were quite a few of us who wanted Sanchez sold last summer? And there were.

Post #481142  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:02 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

I'm feeling much closer to Brentford these days. I'll definitely see a match when I come to London (sooner than you think).

Billy B.ulls.hit alert

Post #481143  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:10 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Quite right kiwipete. Didn't Hazuki also imply last night that there were quite a few of us who wanted Sanchez sold last summer? And there were.

I think pretty much everyone wanted him sold. I advocated keeping him for most of the summer and I don't remember many people agreeing with me.

Post #481144  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:35 am 

The problem in selling Alexis to United is that we have probably just handed then a guaranteed top four finish. They needed that extra bit of firepower and moments of magic that he will give them. I would have said fair enough if it had been some sort of fantastic deal involving cash + a player but basically we've swapped a worldclass player for a very good player.

Selling to any top four team would be hard to stomach but at least City were basically out of the top four equation from our point of view.

I hope we sign Aubameyang or someone of that ilk because at this moment we are looking weaker, and we were long shots for a top four spot even before selling Alexis.

Post #481145  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Iirc I was saying that Sanchez should have gone way before we were offered 60 million but that's not the point. The point is you were all saing what a great player he was when I was criticising the effect he was having on the team, remember when the shoulder shrugs started and the throwing his rattle out of the pram started? Had he gone then I don't think we would have had such an awful last few months.

Btw I also said it was time to get rid of Welbeck some time back and you vehemently disagreed so should he go or should he stay?

Post #481146  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:48 am 

Lacazette’s goal return would look a fair bit better if we had some of those penalties we don’t seem to get. Looked like another nailed on one at the end yesterday.

Post #481147  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:56 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Iirc I was saying that Sanchez should have gone way before we were offered 60 million but that's not the point. The point is you were all saing what a great player he was when I was criticising the effect he was having on the team, remember when the shoulder shrugs started and the throwing his rattle out of the pram started? Had he gone then I don't think we would have had such an awful last few months.

Btw I also said it was time to get rid of Welbeck some time back and you vehemently disagreed so should he go or should he stay?

Selling our best player by a country mile in recent seasons during the summer only made complete sense if we were going to spend the money on top class replacements. Getting £60m for him at the end of August and sticking it in the bank was not good business from a footballing perspective.

Obviously the situation was handled poorly and we should never have found ourselves in the situation of our two best players having only one year left on their contracts.

We are in a rut and in my view the only quick solution is to go on a spending spree both now and in the summer and hope we can buy our way out of it. To try to gradually rebuild a team in the current climate where others are spending massively is just pissing in the wind I think. Of course the danger of a spending spree is that it doesn't work and you are left with a crap team as well as big wages to pay but there has to be some sign of ambition, especially when fans are paying the highest ticket prices in the world.

Post #481148  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:30 am 

socrates wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Selling our best player by a country mile in recent seasons during the summer only made complete sense if we were going to spend the money on top class replacements. Getting £60m for him at the end of August and sticking it in the bank was not good business from a footballing perspective.

It wouldn’t take a genius to predict that getting Sanchez so close to his transfer and it not going through was going to lead to some lesser, stroppier performances from Sanchez. Even if we hadn’t got a replacement but had taken the £60m I can’t think of too many points Sanchez has ‘won’ us. (Palace away, Burnley was a pen so someone else could have taken that) Team spirit would have certainly improved.

For me Arsenal’s approach to this whole situation has been a 1/10 score, doing the deal with Man U for Mkhitaryan has taken that to a 2/10 score......leaving him to go for £0 in the summer takes it to a 0/10 score.

Our new contracts man needs to work his balls off making sure we tie down Özil, Wilshere and Ramsey. Welbeck could go in the summer for a decent price

Post #481149  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 am 

socrates wrote:
The problem in selling Alexis to United is that we have probably just handed then a guaranteed top four finish.

Bingo!

Post #481150  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:34 am 

We’ve been linked previously with the Bilbao GK Kepa Arrizabalaga, then Real Madrid looked like they were going to get him. He ha a £20m release clause and Real Madrid are also holding out for Courtois or DeGea in the summer. If we’re serious about Kepa we should go in with a bid now, force Real Madrid to make a decision instead of waiting for them and picking up the scraps

Post #481151  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:35 am 

The table doesn't change at the top if he went to City. Was it worth the difference in money to hand Man Utd Sanchez? The strategy domestically this winter is not to be complicit in strengthening the clubs above us and below City in midseason if you really want a decent shot at CL football.

Post #481152  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:48 am 

bubblechris wrote:

Before this season the effect Sanchez was having on the team was positive, and it's laughable to claim anything different. Welbeck should stay in my view and I hope he does. In general he hasn't got back to his earlier form since picking up an injury at Watford. Before that he'd turned himself into a first team regular. But I hope he can get back to the form that made him a first choice and at this point I think it would be verging on idiotic to want him to be got rid of.

Post #481153  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:04 am 

Myles palmer (remember him) suggesting he's heard that Wenger is going to move upstairs this summer. Probably bollocks however it's what many feared. If we have a new manager, new head scout and new director of football what would he actually do ? It wouldn't surprise me if Kroenke made him chairman as Sir Chips always struck me as a temporary appointment rather than a long term decision. My god that would be a disaster with Wenger vetoing managers decisions and all sorts

Post #481154  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:21 am 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

It wouldn’t take a genius to predict that getting Sanchez so close to his transfer and it not going through was going to lead to some lesser, stroppier performances from Sanchez. Even if we hadn’t got a replacement but had taken the £60m I can’t think of too many points Sanchez has ‘won’ us. (Palace away, Burnley was a pen so someone else could have taken that) Team spirit would have certainly improved.

For me Arsenal’s approach to this whole situation has been a 1/10 score, doing the deal with Man U for Mkhitaryan has taken that to a 2/10 score......leaving him to go for £0 in the summer takes it to a 0/10 score.

Our new contracts man needs to work his balls off making sure we tie down Özil, Wilshere and Ramsey. Welbeck could go in the summer for a decent price

We've basically handed United a top four finish though, Rich, so if we had any aspirations to finish top four we've certainly not helped ourselves, infact you might argue that we've shot ourselves in the foot.

Post #481155  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:15 am 

We are 11 points behind Man Utd. We were never going to bridge that gap unless they collapsed.

Post #481156  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:17 am 

Morning socrates. We're 11 points behind Manchester United. That's one hell of a deficit to overturn in 14 games. I don't see the swap making any difference to their or our chances of getting into the Champions League next season. Even with Sanchez and without Mkhitaryan I don't think we'd finish in the top four, and even without Sanchez and with Mkhitaryan I think Manchester United would have done.

Post #481157  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:19 am 

dec wrote:
We are 11 points behind Man Utd. We were never going to bridge that gap unless they collapsed.

Exactly my view.

EDIT: Swansea and West Brom are the only two sides without a mathematical chance of still winning the league. But realistically we all know City won't be caught. Yes we still have a mathematical chance of overtaking Manchester United. But sorry socrates, I'm having big problems in considering it a realistic chance.

Ignoring the mathematical chances of everyone from third to eighteenth in the league, United in second place are 12 points behind City. That's only a single point further behind City than the 11 we're behind United. Sorry, it ain't gonna happen socrates.

Post #481158  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:19 am 

Second goal yesterday was better when you consider that Lacazette was calling for the ball and in an offside position but Monreal put it behind him to Iwobi who coolly scored.

Confidence is a wonderful thing..................

Post #481159  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:21 am 

The impression I got from yesterday's game was that the team are playing with more freedom,there was no pressure to get the ball to Sanchez anymore, the players were able to do their own thing and play more as a team. Özil and Wilshire were able to express themselves instead of looking for Alexis all the time, also we were able to keep possession longer without you know who giving it away. Long may it continue.

Post #481160  Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

We've basically handed United a top four finish though, Rich, so if we had any aspirations to finish top four we've certainly not helped ourselves, infact you might argue that we've shot ourselves in the foot.

I take your point but he alternative of keeping an unhappy sanchez and man u keeping mkhitarian - do you think we had a chance of catching man U?
I think we;ve got a better chance of winning the europa league than getting top 4 - and mkhitarian should help that (assuming he can play as he's only played champions league)

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12026, 12027, 12028, 12029, 12030, 12031, 12032 ... 14269  Next