Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gaz from Oz, Googlebot, warrior and 187 guests

Post #477121  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:17 pm 

54Macey
2Debuchy
35El Neny
16Holding
61Nelson
34Coquelin
69Willock
30Maitland-Niles
14Walcott
10Wilshere
12Giroud
Substitutes
3Osei-Tutu
32Akpom
33Cech
43Da Silva
58McGuane
62Nketiah
65Sheaf

:22encouragement: come on you reds

Post #477122  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:45 pm 

Goonie wrote:
dec wrote:
That made me laugh. We have a very ordinary team. City have far better midfielders and forwards. If they play like they have been all season, they will probably trounce us. It could be another 4 or 5 goal drubbing away from home.

Our away form is horrible but the Everton win should boost confidence somewhat that we can get something out of the Man City game. I'm hoping freshness vs fatigue will be a factor in our favour.

To be fair Goonie, you are very positive about this team and you don't moan about them much at all. I have no faith in them because I don't think they are much good. City are much better and while anything can happen on the day, the likely result is another comprehensive defeat away to a top 6 side.

Post #477123  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:20 pm 

Wilshere is running freely and well. Time to test him for a longer playing period in the EPL?

Post #477124  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:33 pm 

Pretty standard Europa League performance from us. No real structure, Little penetration, looking like a team that has been picked based on ‘who won’t start v city’, lots of square pegs in round holes. Just looks like the best 11 players wenger wants to pick rather than actually trying to create a proper team and formation to play to its strengths

Post #477125  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
Pretty standard Europa League performance from us. No real structure, Little penetration, looking like a team that has been picked based on ‘who won’t start v city’, lots of square pegs in round holes. Just looks like the best 11 players wenger wants to pick rather than actually trying to create a proper team and formation to play to its strengths

That's par for Wenger

Post #477126  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:45 pm 

I’d have Nketiah on here instead of Walcott in a heartbeat

Post #477127  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:46 pm 

Macey with a great tip on to the bar. Needed all his height and reach for that one

Post #477128  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:52 pm 

Walcott is so poor. He has regressed so much. Not even his speed can make him a decent player.

Post #477129  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:52 pm 

Rich wrote:

Agree :53big-emoticons:

Post #477130  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:57 pm 

The amount of basic mistakes in possession by arsenal players is huge. No one is putting any pressure on the first 11 here.

This is a real show of how far wenger has let the squad deteriorate.
Walcott, coq, elneny are all tryers but not good enough for our club. Debuchy has actually performed ok but shouldn’t still be here. Wilshere should probably have been moved on a while ago with his injuries. Giroud is an effective plan b but offers very little when he has little creativity behind him. Then it is 4/5 youngsters - if just 1 of those makes it as good enough for the first team we have done really well. Nothing against those young players it’s just the fact that it’s rare for an academy player at a club like arsenal to make it let alone 5 of them

Post #477131  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:59 pm 

Lucky not to be 2 down. Defence very porous. A quality team would have punished us.

Post #477132  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:04 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Lucky not to be 2 down. Defence very porous. A quality team would have punished us.

Not just quality teams. We’d be at least 1 down to every prem club with that half of football

Post #477133  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:24 pm 

If wenger was intent on playing wing backs this season and using/needing Monreal mostly as a centre back then he has left the squad short of back up right and left wing backs.
I feel sorry for maitland-niles and nelson getting their chance and having to play there

Post #477134  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:28 pm 

Couple of good penalty shouts for us there. The second one ended up with their player lying flat on the pitch with the ball 6 inches from his head. I’m sure I’ve seen that happen in the middle of the pitch and you give away a free kick that - sort of endangering yourself

Post #477135  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:30 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Agree :53big-emoticons:

Your wish is coming true now

Post #477136  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:50 pm 

People actually pay to watch this sh*t?.

Well about 30,000 of them anyway by the looks of it..

Post #477137  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:58 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
People actually pay to watch this sh*t?.

Well about 30,000 of them anyway by the looks of it..

I sacrificed my sleep to watch this slumber, what an irony :icon_mrgreen:

Post #477138  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:04 pm 

Well that was insanely dull. God help us when we get our usual injury crisis.
Such a woeful uninspiring performance.
Wenger has built this squad with too many “ok as a squad player” types. Every squad needs a few, but we seem to have about 10 in our 23 Man first team squad.

When Sanchez and Özil go this lot that played tonight will be representing us on a much more regular basis. I’ve never seen the arsenal squad so full but with such drastic need of a massive overhaul.

Will wenger do it? No. Would I trust him to do it properly even if he wanted to? No

Post #477139  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:30 pm 

I am away from home & did not see the game. From media reports I was lucky. Was Walcott captain because a lot of people on Twitter were not happy with his performance. But I saw no one suggesting Wilshire was great. Time to seriously cull some of the long term non performers.

Post #477140  Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:40 am 

I'm going to look at this match in context. Young players mixed with starters. With the exception of the young players, everyone looking ahead to City. Mish mash of players who haven't played with each other in with a few players like Wilshere who hasn't played much for a while. Also that we will be going through to the next rounds so very little need to have to actually win the match, just don't lose it. Taking all that into consideration a draw is a fair result given that both sides should have scored at least 2 or 3 goals a piece if not more.

Walcott looks like he's possibly lost half a yard of pace from all the injuries to his cruciate, etc.

Post #477141  Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:40 am 

The best thing about last night was Everton getting knocked out. Arsenal are now England’s sole Europa representative meaning we get a much bigger share of the money.
I don’t think there was much difference between the prize money earned between arsenal and Man U last year.

Post #477142  Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:00 am 

Last night I sat next to some Bayern fans who having been to Celtic Park, then on to Wembley to see the mighty Madrid, ended their UK soccer tour with our game. They were completely bemused by the lack of atmosphere in the ground. He kept asking why we weren't singing, what was the problem, why weren't we supporting the team? I tried to explain Arsenal fans aren't that bothered by the Europa league, and how expensive it is, and that its a second string team. However, at the end of our stunted chat (which was like a dramatized version of google translate) the fact is we just don't have that sort of fan culture. Part of it may be because we've never had supporter groups like in mainland Europe, who will vocally back their team for 90 mins regardless of how their team is playing. But part of it must be our increasingly diverse, yet ageing fan base who are largely there to be entertained by the team and enjoy the 'match day experience' (cringe). Watching the atmosphere generated by 3000 loud Belgrade fans who were basically just having a party, not really caring about the football, do you think its possible to re-energize our home support?

Post #477143  Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:26 am 

Its all good and well about being the only English club in there. Not belittling it. However, we have lowered our ambitions. We will likely be a Europa league club for the next year or two. Sp, although its a good thing in terms of money, in terms of where we want to be its depressing.

Also, there are likely going to be some very, very good clubs in the competition after the CL group stages are finalized. Clubs you would expect to see in the knock out such as Atletico, Napoli perhaps, Monaco, Dortmund.

Even more depressing, is Tottenham have a very good chance of getting a weak draw. I'm hoping they draw Bayern obviously but with their luck, they'd get Basel or Shakhtar.

Post #477144  Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:10 pm 

Lloris is injured for a couple of weeks and is apparently a big risk for the N.London derby......I fully expect him to be in their starting line up in 2 weeks

Post #477145  Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:16 pm 

Bored wrote:
Last night I sat next to some Bayern fans who having been to Celtic Park, then on to Wembley to see the mighty Madrid, ended their UK soccer tour with our game. They were completely bemused by the lack of atmosphere in the ground. He kept asking why we weren't singing, what was the problem, why weren't we supporting the team? I tried to explain Arsenal fans aren't that bothered by the Europa league, and how expensive it is, and that its a second string team. However, at the end of our stunted chat (which was like a dramatized version of google translate) the fact is we just don't have that sort of fan culture. Part of it may be because we've never had supporter groups like in mainland Europe, who will vocally back their team for 90 mins regardless of how their team is playing. But part of it must be our increasingly diverse, yet ageing fan base who are largely there to be entertained by the team and enjoy the 'match day experience' (cringe). Watching the atmosphere generated by 3000 loud Belgrade fans who were basically just having a party, not really caring about the football, do you think its possible to re-energize our home support?

I don't understand going to a game and not supporting your team to the hilt. Baffling. Also, why the disappointment about last night's result? We did what we needed to, qualify for the next round, with maximum efficiency. The unconvincing performance has no bearing on Sunday's game. I think we have a reasonably chance of getting something from City.

Post #477146  Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:17 pm 

Bored wrote:

I've been reading various accounts of the game from our fans and it sounds *%^@*** horrendous. People so bored they were playing sudoku etc

Simply if your paying 60 quid to watch that *%^@ you should literally be allowed to do anything you want without judgement.

I think the whole situation is a symptom of the apathy our fans feel right now. The whole club is boring, our boring manager, boring players, boring bored.

To answer your question without sounding depressing I'd say it's not possible to re energise our support now. The club would need to reduce our ticket prices but I think a lot of our hardcore fans don't feel an affinity with Arsenal anymore. It might change when Wenger goes but I'm not sure. Think a fair bit of damage has been done

Post #477147  Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:57 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bored wrote:

I've been reading various accounts of the game from our fans and it sounds *%^@*** horrendous. People so bored they were playing sudoku etc

Simply if your paying 60 quid to watch that *%^@ you should literally be allowed to do anything you want without judgement.

I think the whole situation is a symptom of the apathy our fans feel right now. The whole club is boring, our boring manager, boring players, boring bored.

To answer your question without sounding depressing I'd say it's not possible to re energise our support now. The club would need to reduce our ticket prices but I think a lot of our hardcore fans don't feel an affinity with Arsenal anymore. It might change when Wenger goes but I'm not sure. Think a fair bit of damage has been done

Indeed, even our academy is boring now, who is emerging that can excite us about the future?, apart from Nketiah and we nicked him from Chelsea.

I'm shocked that they (just about) manage to sell out the Emirates most of the time, for a while after I stopped going I felt tempted to go back, now I am so far away from having any urge to return at all.

The maliase set in as soon as we accepted top 4 as a 'trophy', from that moment around a decade ago, pretty much everything at the club went into stagnation and once next summer comes around and we lose our two best players, we'll see the full consequences of that.

Wenger will have fully destroyed his legacy and we'll be back where we were in 1996 - a 5th placed club with an average squad, lack of decent young players and no real likelihood of competing at the top level without something massive changing.

Sadly I don't think "another Wenger" can get us back there as the game has changed too much and we're owned by a disinterested American who only sees us as an investment opportunity while our rivals have far more dynamic vision, call it doping if you like (in some cases), but I'm afraid that doesn't change the fact they prioritise winning while Arsene PLC is a corporation first and a football club second.

"There used to be a football club over there".

Post #477148  Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:55 pm 

Been reading the articles on Santi Cazorlas injury problems and can't help but feel a huge amount of sadness and sympathy for a brilliant player.

Few recent players aside I think he's been one of our best in recent times and probably is our natural team captain, the free kick he scored in the final was superb and if he hadn't played for arsenal during Wengers Alzheimer's period we would be remembering him in even more fond terms.

Post #477149  Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:37 am 

I fear our match against City. We will probably try to make a match of it, but quick goals from City will put paid to our challenge. Fact is, City can get breakaway goals or team-play goals against us. They can breakaway quickly from our broken down attack. Or they can play team football through our porous midfield and shaky defence. I'm being realistic with my assessment. But, if Wenger suddenly comes up with a great tactical play and win it, I am very happy to eat humble pie.

Post #477150  Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:41 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Been reading the articles on Santi Cazorlas injury problems and can't help but feel a huge amount of sadness and sympathy for a brilliant player.

Few recent players aside I think he's been one of our best in recent times and probably is our natural team captain, the free kick he scored in the final was superb and if he hadn't played for arsenal during Wengers Alzheimer's period we would be remembering him in even more fond terms.

Sad for Cazorla and Arsenal. Wenger needs to realise he needs to replace him sooner, rather than later. Jack isn't able to play at his level. Definitely not Ramsey. Xhaka is far far off. Le Coq or Elneny are nothing but hardworking players, trying to impose themselves. Özil, hot and cold. Alexis is not the central midfield type. Iwobi looks lost most times.

Post #477151  Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

It is devastating. Not only is he an amazing footballer but seems to be an amazing human being as well.

Post #477152  Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:55 am 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Sad for Cazorla and Arsenal. Wenger needs to realise he needs to replace him sooner, rather than later. Jack isn't able to play at his level. Definitely not Ramsey. Xhaka is far far off. Le Coq or Elneny are nothing but hardworking players, trying to impose themselves. Özil, hot and cold. Alexis is not the central midfield type. Iwobi looks lost most times.

Wenger’s loyalty to under performing players, or his belief that injured players coming back will answer all his prayers has been a theme of the last 10 years.
It is certainly admirable to stand by injured players rather than cast them aside but when we know a player is out for a long time sign a top quality replacement. Cazorla is so important to the function of our game a replacement had to be signed this summer. If Cazorla made a miracle recovery well now you have brilliant strength in depth, the weaker player won’t get as many games, the better player plays and Arsenal football club are better for it.
The amount of years diaby was relied on as a squad number expected to make a contribution was ridiculous. If you want a 23 man squad players like diaby and Rosicky should have been seen as bonuses to that squad not integral to it

Post #477153  Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:47 am 

I no longer consider myself an Arsenal supporter which is why I haven't contributed here of late and probably won't again in the future. Those who say you are not a true supporter if you want your team to lose are absolutely right. I despise the club now and most things about it. I literally cannot stand the sight of Wenger in the dugout. He has strangled all the life from the club to gratify his stubbornness and monomaniacal ego. I wasn't upset when Tottenham beat Madrid I was pleased and enjoyed the match. I hope City spank Arsenal on Sunday. These are not the sentiments or words of an Arsenal fan or indeed the person I once was - I try and remind myself of the time when I loved the club so much that defeats would cause me sleepless nights, but that time has gone.

I came to this realisation when I not only stopped caring about Arsenal results but stopped watching the games altogether. The Red Star game was on in the house but I didn't care who won, switched off halfway through to play some music and didn't bother checking the result until much later. I still have the thrill of caring about a club through Brentford, I still can't stand it when they lose which is pleasing because a) I am not not a "glory hunter" or entitled and b) I still love football. I go to most of their home games and when you do that it is almost impossible not to make that club the one you support, I don't believe in polygamy when it comes to football.

Maybe this will change although I think once you get to this stage the game is pretty much up. I don't think I'm the only one either. It doesn't make me the devil, I can't help the way I feel about it. But it's pretty much over for me now.

Post #477154  Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:52 am 

I also partly blame Sanchez and Özil - they were certainly two important nails in the coffin of my dwindling support.

Post #477155  Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:31 pm 

Daz wrote:
I no longer consider myself an Arsenal supporter which is why I haven't contributed here of late and probably won't again in the future. Those who say you are not a true supporter if you want your team to lose are absolutely right. I despise the club now and most things about it. I literally cannot stand the sight of Wenger in the dugout. He has strangled all the life from the club to gratify his stubbornness and monomaniacal ego. I wasn't upset when Tottenham beat Madrid I was pleased and enjoyed the match. I hope City spank Arsenal on Sunday. These are not the sentiments or words of an Arsenal fan or indeed the person I once was - I try and remind myself of the time when I loved the club so much that defeats would cause me sleepless nights, but that time has gone.

I came to this realisation when I not only stopped caring about Arsenal results but stopped watching the games altogether. The Red Star game was on in the house but I didn't care who won, switched off halfway through to play some music and didn't bother checking the result until much later. I still have the thrill of caring about a club through Brentford, I still can't stand it when they lose which is pleasing because a) I am not not a "glory hunter" or entitled and b) I still love football. I go to most of their home games and when you do that it is almost impossible not to make that club the one you support, I don't believe in polygamy when it comes to football.

Maybe this will change although I think once you get to this stage the game is pretty much up. I don't think I'm the only one either. It doesn't make me the devil, I can't help the way I feel about it. But it's pretty much over for me now.

I feel the same frankly but still intend to continuing to speak here. I haven't attended a match this season and rather than feeling anger towards the club which I did at one point I feel numb to it all. What is a new phenomenon is that I can't even be arsed to watch our games on the telly anymore let alone attend in person when it used to be the highlight of the week. I literally couldn't give a toss where we finish this season and actually I find the triple Mongolian cluster fack the manager and board have made of the club quite amusing.

I was thinking about where we are as a club this week and came to the conclusion we are Spurs in the late 90s when they were mid table and changing their manager every season apart from we don't have the guts to do that.

I stopped believing the lie Wenger was telling us years ago and literally have zero respect for him now.

Post #477156  Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:36 pm 

It will change Daz, Arsenal is still in your system, even though you obviously don't like, or hate what the club stands for these days. You're not the only one, there's loads of people who think like you. But a football club is not like a wife, you just can not divorce and forget about her, it will always be a part of you, a football club is in your veins, not in your heart.

Post #477157  Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:57 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Daz wrote:

I feel the same frankly but still intend to continuing to speak here. I haven't attended a match this season and rather than feeling anger towards the club which I did at one point I feel numb to it all. What is a new phenomenon is that I can't even be arsed to watch our games on the telly anymore let alone attend in person when it used to be the highlight of the week. I literally couldn't give a toss where we finish this season and actually I find the triple Mongolian cluster fack the manager and board have made of the club quite amusing.

I was thinking about where we are as a club this week and came to the conclusion we are Spurs in the late 90s when they were mid table and changing their manager every season apart from we don't have the guts to do that.

I stopped believing the lie Wenger was telling us years ago and literally have zero respect for him now.

I can understand people going to the stadium and protesting, or boycotting. I can understand why people might be apathetic or have lost interest. What I don't understand is reaching a point where one is too apathetic to support the team or cheer, and yet still goes to the game.

Post #477158  Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:59 pm 

Supporting the club financially by buying tickets and merchandise but not actually supporting it? That's not going to do any good.

Post #477159  Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:51 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think a fully fit Wilshere can be as good as Cazorla. Remember his performance against Barcelona? Like Cazorla, he can form an effective partnership with Coquelin - they did in the academy if not mistaken. Not sure if Wilshere can stay fit throughout a season, so there'd be plenty of games for Xhaka. Ramsey will take Özil's position.

Post #477160  Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:47 pm 

I like Jack personally. Love his personality. He's a fighter. Different player than Carzola and I'd definitely say Carzola is better but that's no knock on Jack. At their best each, I'd take Carzola each time. Jack is far more mobile and the superior defensive player. Carzola the better vision and passe and I'd even say scorer. Plays deeper.

That said, Jack would need to be more mature in his game, he's instinctual but not mature, not a thinking man's midfielder. He goes into things a bit too aggressive and for the length of the career he'd like to have and for his game, he'd do himself a lot of good to be more patient. He's not a kid any longer. He's 25, in his prime.

I'd love to him succeed with us and for a time I saw him as a future captain.

[ 571644 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11926, 11927, 11928, 11929, 11930, 11931, 11932 ... 14292  Next