Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris and 110 guests

Post #499481  Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:23 am 

warrior wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
My Dad was in the Navy in the Med and Pacific theatres. Never spoke about action, always the good bits. Here he is a young man boxing training on his ship in Shanghai.

Quick touch up for you ...

1946 on HMS Barfleur at Shanghai.
Thank you Warrior - much appreciated.

Post #499482  Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:32 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
...Who was the last player who started with us as say an 11yo and actually became a great player. Maybe the whole system needs an overhaul.
That would be a good question to put to every English professional football club, not just Arsenal. Buying rather than growing is so much easier with all the obscene money in the game.

Post #499483  Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:31 pm 

Mannone talking about Lehmann and Almunia
“I was the youngster and those two were always fighting so it was a nervous situation for me to try and deal with. Every training session was like a Champions League final. You couldn’t miss a ball or do anything wrong."

More of that sort of standard setting required!

Post #499484  Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
I'd echo those who would rather we go with youth than middle of the road type signings. I can't think of too many players at 25-26 who weren't already at a top club who went on to suddenly become world class when signing for a top club.

We should be in the U23 market, identifying the top talent and potential and realising we can't swoop up these players for sub £10m

I would be forgiving if we played very talented youth players. What I wouldn't want to see is the likes of the youth players we had after the stadium was completed and others who were around much too long. We kept on some very mediocre young players.

Post #499485  Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:09 pm 

Okay, so England lost a semi final to Holland. Holland! It's not like the country lost to Faroe Islands. The FA always saw Southgate as a stop gap until he won and wouldn't provide them a good reason. Just one 'outsiders' view.

Post #499486  Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:12 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Okay, so England lost a semi final to Holland.

Can't say I care one way or the other tbh but there is an underlying message here.

The UEFA Nations League Finals may be a bit of a mickey mouse tournament (wouldn’t have been if we’d won it) but they were de facto the best 4 teams in Europe. 100+ players in the four squads, yet only one Arsenal player was involved - Xhaka. If they’d doubled the size of each squad, we wouldn’t have been better represented.

You can say that France, Germany and Spain weren’t involved, but we probably wouldn’t have increased our presence if they had been.

It’s a reasonable measure of how far the quality of our squad has dropped.

Post #499487  Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:20 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Iwobi is not a young player but he fails to deliver and makes a lot of mistakes. How many mistakes and really poor performances should we tolerate?

Iwobi is only 23... most players only start to realise their potential in their mid-20s. I'm not saying he'd be at Salah or De Bruyne's level, but even those players "struggled" in their early 20s. Iwobi should play the role of an important squaddie but it seems he has been "fast-tracked" to be a first team player. If he can give us 5 goals and 10 assists (in the league) next season I'd say that would be a good season for him.

Post #499488  Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:40 pm 

There is a lot of talk on podcasts about Emery and his abilities as a manager. A number of people have questioned his credentials.

Given that Sarri, at Chelsea, has never won anything, it is not clear to me what people want in a managers history that would make them acceptable.

At Arsenal, I can't understand the management structure at all. Perhaps some on here can assist. Does Emery merely indicate to someone I need a good CB, I need a speedy winger etc. I have no place for Özil, Elenny etc. Then does some other person look at what is available and purchase if possible and try and sell.

Or does Emery say I want player X from Sampdoria to fill a position.

If someone else is picking the players and negotiating -who is this mystery person (well mystery to me)?

Post #499489  Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:48 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Iwobi is not a young player but he fails to deliver and makes a lot of mistakes. How many mistakes and really poor performances should we tolerate?

Iwobi is only 23... most players only start to realise their potential in their mid-20s. I'm not saying he'd be at Salah or De Bruyne's level, but even those players "struggled" in their early 20s. Iwobi should play the role of an important squaddie but it seems he has been "fast-tracked" to be a first team player. If he can give us 5 goals and 10 assists (in the league) next season I'd say that would be a good season for him.

How are things over your way. All good in North Queensland.
Looking at the squad we have a lot of squaddies and not many players good enough to be first choice. With Iwobi, he lacks ability to score, often panics and loses the ball too often plus he very rarely makes assists (a problem across the whole squad). He needs to really step up in the first few months if he is to be a regular. At 23yo, in this team, he needs to perform or go IMO.

Post #499490  Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:19 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Goonie wrote:

How are things over your way. All good in North Queensland.
Looking at the squad we have a lot of squaddies and not many players good enough to be first choice. With Iwobi, he lacks ability to score, often panics and loses the ball too often plus he very rarely makes assists (a problem across the whole squad). He needs to really step up in the first few months if he is to be a regular. At 23yo, in this team, he needs to perform or go IMO.

All good here in Singapore too.

I agree that we have a very good bunch of squaddies. If I were Emery I'd be looking to add leaders into the team in defence and midfield. Signings like Arteta and Mertesacker would help this squad a lot.

Post #499491  Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:32 am 

DHD wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Okay, so England lost a semi final to Holland.

Can't say I care one way or the other tbh but there is an underlying message here.

The UEFA Nations League Finals may be a bit of a mickey mouse tournament (wouldn’t have been if we’d won it) but they were de facto the best 4 teams in Europe. 100+ players in the four squads, yet only one Arsenal player was involved - Xhaka. If they’d doubled the size of each squad, we wouldn’t have been better represented.

You can say that France, Germany and Spain weren’t involved, but we probably wouldn’t have increased our presence if they had been.

It’s a reasonable measure of how far the quality of our squad has dropped.

I fear we (Arsenal fans) have an elevated view of where we really are in the football universe. We are looking at our present state with Invincible era and prior lens. We are firmly a 2nd tier club below the league's elite.

We are not on a road map to get back. If anything, we are on a downward spiral. Its fairly slow (or a little fast for some of us) downward process, akin to Chinese water torture. We will put on a good display against a Tottenham, Chelsea, Man Utd or even Liverpool or City ever so often, but so do Wolves, Burnley and Everton.

We can't (or won't) compete financially and for the most part with very few exceptions (Tottenham) that's how you get in the top 3 or 4. Klopp has done a fantastic job but he's also spent a pretty penny. Even without Roman, Chelsea will spend. Man Utd obviously has no issue opening up the purse, albeit, it's not been successful lately but if I've not known too many clubs who spend like they do who have not eventually bought themselves back into contention for honors.

The big difference between our American owner and theirs is, at least theirs understands enough about football that he needs to keep them competitive and vying for trophies. If we had the money, I'm not so sure Pogba would come to us. Man Utd, as lowly as they are now table wise can still attract top players. It's not just their pedigree, we all (top clubs) have a history. Top players know they have ambition and are willing to spend as evidence of it.

We are at a precipice right now. If we don't get it right, we will slip farther down. If we slip but its part of a larger, longer term plan (youth policy) that's one thing. But if its the path we are presently on, its going to be a dark period.

Post #499492  Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:05 am 

Read we are linked to Celtic FB Kieran Tierney

Post #499493  Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:09 am 

I've traveling and catching up on the transfer rumors. So we are close to getting Carrasco?

Post #499494  Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 am 

Carrasco looks like he'd be a quality signing, I'd be very happy with that one. Tierney highly regarded as well as is Andersen I believe from Sampdoria. Some of the links are quite exciting at the minute, hopefully we'll see some action soon.

Post #499495  Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:36 pm 

Niall wrote:
Carrasco looks like he'd be a quality signing, I'd be very happy with that one. Tierney highly regarded as well as is Andersen I believe from Sampdoria. Some of the links are quite exciting at the minute, hopefully we'll see some action soon.

Agree on those 3.
Carrasco is 25, has spent 18 months in China because Athletico needed some easy cash. If we were signing him direct from Athletico for £25m we'd be very excited. From what I can see he's versatile, tricky, pacey, experienced, provides goals and assists and is two footed. Could probably play right, left or central. £25m, full international and 25 years old- you would struggle to find much better anywhere.
Tierney is exactly the sort of signing we should be making, young, home grown, very experienced for his age, quick and room for improvement - hopefully he could be our Robertson
Anderson I know less about. My only concern is his rumoured last of pace, the italian league isn't known for needing a lot of pace in defence, england is. He's a big lad at 6ft 4 and has excellent passing ability. For £20-25m we would probably struggle to do better

Post #499496  Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:30 pm 

My guess (and hope) is that Emery is trying to build Sevilla II at Arsenal. Young, dynamic squad that comes to play each match, tough to get a result from.

Post #499497  Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:28 pm 

Interesting to hearWilshere say how his injury in 2015 took him a lot longer to come back from because he neglected his rehab because his son was quite ill and having seizures, meaning Wilshere and his wife understandably stayed up at night to watch him and spent a lot of time in hospital.
Often easy to forget players have lots of other things going on in their life that can affect performances on the pitch

Post #499498  Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:41 pm 

Just seen that Lemar at Athletico scored just 2 league goals for them last year after a €60m move, after Monaco turned down €90m bid from us! Can you imagine if we’d made that signing

Post #499499  Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
Interesting to hearWilshere say how his injury in 2015 took him a lot longer to come back from because he neglected his rehab because his son was quite ill and having seizures, meaning Wilshere and his wife understandably stayed up at night to watch him and spent a lot of time in hospital.
Often easy to forget players have lots of other things going on in their life that can affect performances on the pitch

Post #499500  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:02 am 

Rich wrote:
Just seen that Lemar at Athletico scored just 2 league goals for them last year after a €60m move, after Monaco turned down €90m bid from us! Can you imagine if we’d made that signing

Yes, he will score tons for us. Then get sold for 200m the following season.

Post #499501  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:05 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
My guess (and hope) is that Emery is trying to build Sevilla II at Arsenal. Young, dynamic squad that comes to play each match, tough to get a result from.

I hope so. We need more energy in our play. Getting really bored with the over passing game. Cut Özil out, with him, it is always going to be the passing game. He will hold on to the ball, or do useless triangles until he finds that opening for a beautiful sliderule pass. Either Lacazette and Aubameyang are not in-sync with him, or he is now slower to spot their runs. It is not working for him anymore.

Post #499502  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:34 am 

Özil adjusted as best he could to the league. And us. He improved a lot. I will give him credit for that. He became much tougher. Not sitting and crying for 5 minutes after a hard foul. He scored more than he usually did or so it seems. I was always critical on why we bought him when we did (we bought him in my opinion because we didn't buy a RvP replacement at the time).

But we got the best he could offer. Mentally, he wasn't a leader, wasn't tough enough in that respect but that was never in his locker. We were asking for what he wasn't and that is the club's fault.

So, we should part ways so we can free up that money for someone who can. Carzola and Fabregas were the last two in that playmaker position that worked.

So far, I like the type of player we are linked to far. I'll be more secure once we start signing more but its still fairly early.

Post #499503  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:23 am 

We have/will clear a lot of money off the books. So, its official then? Our first two signings? Praet and Andersen?

https://talksport.com/football/555417/a ... 1560002972

Post #499504  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:27 am 

So after benching Ospina when he reached 24 games, 1 short of the compulsory purchase clause, Napoli are now arguing over the £3.5m fee. Just put Ospina up for general sale to all clubs, he’s only 30, young for a GK, international Gak, vast experience, surely we can get more than £3.5m for him

Post #499505  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:42 am 

Rich wrote:
So after benching Ospina when he reached 24 games, 1 short of the compulsory purchase clause, Napoli are now arguing over the £3.5m fee. Just put Ospina up for general sale to all clubs, he’s only 30, young for a GK, international Gak, vast experience, surely we can get more than £3.5m for him

Agreed. Let's see what the market will pay. We should have been on top of that once we saw he was stopped at 24 games and ask Napoli what are their intentions. We could have lined up buyers. Maybe we have but this is Arsenal. I don't put anything past us in terms of competence n transfer matters.

Post #499506  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:58 am 

Rich wrote:
30 year old international keeper.

That’s ridiculous. He’s got to be worth 6-7 million in the current market surely.

Post #499507  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:04 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

That’s ridiculous. He’s got to be worth 6-7 million in the current market surely.

Trouble is he's *%^@.

Post #499508  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:59 am 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Trouble is he's *%^@.

Bit of a stumbling block.

Literally (or is it figuratively?).

Post #499509  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:49 pm 

Fixtures out tomorrow. Always see some leaked first day fixtures, one from The Secret Footballer has us away to Palace on the first day

Post #499510  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:47 pm 

What games do you look for first? For me, I start with Tottenham and then Man Utd in the old days but these days Tottenham first, then Chelsea and Man Utd. City? Doesn't really matter. They are so much farther ahead of us, it doesn't matter.
I do look for what game we have preceding Tottenham, Chelsea and Man Utd. We always seem to catch Man Utd after a European match. Or so it seems.

I'm also getting a bit more optimistic about the season judging by who we are signing and heavily linked to. I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.

Post #499511  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:46 pm 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Trouble is he's *%^@.

Hit the nail on the head DHD. On the face of it I see Top Gun’s point. But as you imply, Ospina is utter garbage. I remember a friend of mine outside the forum once described him as ‘another Almunia in the making’. To me she just about summed him up.

Post #499512  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Hit the nail on the head DHD. On the face of it I see Top Gun’s point. But as you imply, Ospina is utter garbage. I remember a friend of mine outside the forum once described him as ‘another Almunia in the making’. To me she just about summed him up.

I’d take Ospina over Almunia any day.

He’s just a 2nd keeper that’s all, actually he’s one of the better 2nd keepers we have had. Remember Rhys Wilmot

Not good enough to play regularly for a side like ours but reasonable back up.

Post #499513  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
He’s just a 2nd keeper that’s all, actually he’s one of the better 2nd keepers we have had. Remember Rhys Wilmot

Not when our second keepers are first choice for three cup competitions, which are the only three competitions we’ll have any chance of winning next season. Wilmot wasn’t first choice for anything. Get rid of Ospina, he’s rubbish.

Post #499514  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not when our second keepers are first choice for three cup competitions, which are the only three competitions we’ll have any chance of winning next season. .

Well that’s just a stupid decision and rule we make

Rotate a bit but my goodness you shouldnt change your defenders or keepers for key games

Post #499515  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Not when our second keepers are first choice for three cup competitions, which are the only three competitions we’ll have any chance of winning next season. .

Rotate a bit but my goodness you shouldnt change your defenders or keepers for key games

Stupid decision or not it’s what Arsenal do, and have done for some years now. It’ll mean Ospina being in goal for the only competitions we have a realistic chance of winning. I don’t want that because he’s not good enough. My vote is get rid of him.

Post #499516  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Stupid decision or not it’s what Arsenal do, and have done for some years now. It’ll mean Ospina being in goal for the only competitions we have a realistic chance of winning. I don’t want that because he’s not good enough. My vote is get rid of him.

Don't think Ospina wants to come back either. If Napoli is the only club interested in him, just let him go for whatever fee we can get.

Post #499517  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:38 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Don't think Ospina wants to come back either. If Napoli is the only club interested in him, just let him go for whatever fee we can get.

That’s my attitude. Get rid of him. It’s noticeable Napoli dropped him to stop him reaching the number of appearances that would have compelled them to buy him (I thought someone said words to that effect earlier). So they can’t rate him that highly.

Post #499518  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:57 am 

Anyone thinking of buying a pair or would wear it?

Attachments:

Post #499519  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:37 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

By all means get rid but Personally I’d try Martinez for a season.

We will end up paying a lot more than 2.5 million for a reserve keeper Ospina will leave for and we are desperate for more outfield players.

Papers speculating this morning saying Torreira wants to leave as he hasn’t settled in England, he strikes me as a Reyes type player who won’t hang around a lot but I hope he stays

Post #499520  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:38 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Anyone thinking of buying a pair or would wear it?

Yep these bad boys will have the hot chicks hovering around you like flies to manure

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12485, 12486, 12487, 12488, 12489, 12490, 12491 ... 14269  Next