Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 103 guests

Post #510281  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:39 am 

Goonie wrote:
Ash wrote:
Yes I’m going to start banging the drum for this guy or Doucoure at Watford. I think he’d do the job nicely for us. Youngish but not too young, premier league experience, keeps it simple and really mobile. Here’s a performance from February against Chelsea

I’d be very happy with a signing like that. Although I’m guessing it’d take about £30m in today’s market if he’s got a long contract.

Doucoure would be good for us I think. We sure can do with a centre mid chipping in with at least 5 goals a season. Wylan Cyprien at Vieira's Nice could be a cheaper option. Or we may already have the solution at the club. Willock and Emile Smith Rowe both look capable of becoming consistent scorers from midfield.

Willock started with a promise. It has been whittling away. IMO, he is not effective. While Saka grew as he played more, Willock hasn't moved forward. He is too tentative and hasn't had any assist lately. I wish he had the guts to try threading the balls to the forwards, or take some shots near the penalty area. But he is too tentative. Maybe he is too afraid to fail with his crosses and shots. And the way to improve your consistency is to stay back after training, and keep practicing. Just like golf, to get consistency with a certain club, shoot 200 balls regularly at the range. You will learn your ills and correct them along the way. I hope he takes ownership of his footballing career, because he can make it.

Post #510282  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:38 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
This coronavirus is looking really serious now. If cases rise exponentially, which seems likely once it takes hold, then you would think that major sporting events would have to be postponed.

Look at what is happening in Italy.

I've heard experts say that its a mild illness comparable to flu but I've also seen interviews with people who have now recovered after suffering with the virus and they have said how bad it is.

If this becomes a worldwide pandemic, if it's not already, then who knows what will happen.

A pandemic of sorts is the very kind of "black swan" event that will trigger a global economic crash with it. The main people dying from it are those over 60, elderly largely due to having diminished immune systems and people with existing health issues that have over stressed immune systems.

If you are relatively young and healthy you won't probably die from it. The very curious thing is that there are some areas with a lot of Chinese that have very few cases, especially sub Saharan Africa even though they have by far the largest number of expat Chinese working there. 10s of thousands but no real outbreak among the native populous. Same with India, Thailand and Philippines. The latter two having many Chinese tourists.
South America seems curiously unaffected as well. Its mainly Europe, northern Asia and America.

We are rather worried about what winter will bring.

Post #510283  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:49 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Doucoure would be good for us I think. We sure can do with a centre mid chipping in with at least 5 goals a season. Wylan Cyprien at Vieira's Nice could be a cheaper option. Or we may already have the solution at the club. Willock and Emile Smith Rowe both look capable of becoming consistent scorers from midfield.

Willock started with a promise. It has been whittling away. IMO, he is not effective. While Saka grew as he played more, Willock hasn't moved forward. He is too tentative and hasn't had any assist lately. I wish he had the guts to try threading the balls to the forwards, or take some shots near the penalty area. But he is too tentative. Maybe he is too afraid to fail with his crosses and shots. And the way to improve your consistency is to stay back after training, and keep practicing. Just like golf, to get consistency with a certain club, shoot 200 balls regularly at the range. You will learn your ills and correct them along the way. I hope he takes ownership of his footballing career, because he can make it.

I think that's a very harsh assessment of Willock, who has shown himself to be a legitimate squad member. Give the kid a chance.

Post #510284  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:00 am 

Decaf wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

A pandemic of sorts is the very kind of "black swan" event that will trigger a global economic crash with it. The main people dying from it are those over 60, elderly largely due to having diminished immune systems and people with existing health issues that have over stressed immune systems.

If you are relatively young and healthy you won't probably die from it. The very curious thing is that there are some areas with a lot of Chinese that have very few cases, especially sub Saharan Africa even though they have by far the largest number of expat Chinese working there. 10s of thousands but no real outbreak among the native populous. Same with India, Thailand and Philippines. The latter two having many Chinese tourists.
South America seems curiously unaffected as well. Its mainly Europe, northern Asia and America.

Viruses struggle to survive for very long in hot environments. That is not to say it will not occur in those places but it survives for shorter periods outside the body. But the virus has already mutated and there are 2 strains. If you have any respiratory problems , you may be in danger. For many it is a flu experience but there is no telling. I have consulted different medical people as I was due to travel to Europe in 10 days. My insurance policy has an exclusion for pandemics and it looks like if we travel we will not have health cover if we get it. Summer in the Southern Hemisphere means transmission is limited they believe but despite that people to people transmission is starting to push the numbers up already. Hope everyone is okay over this period. The economy of the world is going down the gurgler with the consequences that will flow.

Post #510285  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:13 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I think that's a very harsh assessment of Willock, who has shown himself to be a legitimate squad member. Give the kid a chance.

Not meaning to be harsh on him. Just facts about his inabilities right now. I'm rooting for him to be better. Definitely a keeper for Arsenal right now. But if he does not improve his assist rate, then not going to be useful.

Post #510286  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:20 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Viruses struggle to survive for very long in hot environments. That is not to say it will not occur in those places but it survives for shorter periods outside the body. But the virus has already mutated and there are 2 strains. If you have any respiratory problems , you may be in danger. For many it is a flu experience but there is no telling. I have consulted different medical people as I was due to travel to Europe in 10 days. My insurance policy has an exclusion for pandemics and it looks like if we travel we will not have health cover if we get it. Summer in the Southern Hemisphere means transmission is limited they believe but despite that people to people transmission is starting to push the numbers up already. Hope everyone is okay over this period. The economy of the world is going down the gurgler with the consequences that will flow.

It could get very nasty here with our weak health systems.

On a lighter note, the Aussis* surprising struggling against the boere in the cricket and looking likely to be whitewashed in the ODI series. Its the sort of turnaround that makes me cling to the slender hope that we'll somehow qualify for Europe or win the cup.

*(with the exception of your boy Marnus from Klerksdorp)

Post #510287  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:31 am 

I wouldn’t mind signing Dacoure, I think he’s the style of player we miss in the middle and has prem experience.....but, watford will ask for £30m plus, and I can’t believe there isn’t a player as good for half that price. The scouting network need to really find some gems.

Post #510288  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:33 pm 

The only thought I really had about Coronavirus was that somehow it brought people together a bit and all of a sudden people realised what was good about their lives rather than what was missing.

Then you see this ..

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11118861/ ... australia/

There’s no hope. Actual adults fighting. Some people are controlled entirely by what newspapers feed them

Post #510289  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:48 pm 

Liverpool down a goal and the commentators are talking as if its a major blow and they may not come back. Before their loss, it would be commented as it was a matter of when not if they would equalize and win.

I actually have no problem is they win the rest of their games (except for us). The feeling (from afar) is the loss may put a wee bit of a damper (yes, I love saying "wee bit" :42laughter: ) on the title celebrations.

It was clear that Klopp put a lot of pressure on them to win every game to the point a draw wasn't good enough. He wanted perfection and you can't ask that of a team in a sport where literally anything can happen and luck and happenstance plays a factor in things. My view with all my obvious experience as a top level manager :1laughter: is Klopp should have downplayed the possibility of going unbeaten. He was chasing too many things, the league, the FA and European cups. The league was won in the new year. City wasn't going to win it, that was clear.
Concentrate on the cups. Relieve the pressure on the need to win every league game.

Post #510290  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:10 pm 

In the Liverpool game there is an overbite pass to Mané, sailing over his head and Mané just catches it, knowing he won’t get it. The ref gives a free kick for handball but doesn’t book him for deliberate hand ball.

Liverpool are the team in the league who are allowed to get away with the most fouls per yellow card

Post #510291  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:19 pm 

Well, Liverpool going back to their old form.

Post #510292  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:56 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Not meaning to be harsh on him. Just facts about his inabilities right now. I'm rooting for him to be better. Definitely a keeper for Arsenal right now. But if he does not improve his assist rate, then not going to be useful.

While high assist rates make a midfielder sound sexy, we have to remember that being a midfielder isn’t just about providing assists. Patrick Vieira provided 29 assists in 367 games for Arsenal. That equates to one assist every twelve and two-thirds of a match (1 assist every 12.66 games). Doesn’t sound that many. But I rate Vieira as the best midfielder I’ve seen play for the club.

Post #510293  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:25 pm 

This Liverpool game highlights what I’ve been saying about them this season. Amazing team but things just seem to fall for them. 2 horrendous unforced errors to gift Liverpool goals, then right at the end Wilson with an open goal from 6 yards steps on the ball instead of finishing for 2-2. Watford did the same when they played at Anfield.

They’ve won a lot of games ‘just’

Worthy champions and will be remembered for some time because of the relentless winning but they just haven’t blown teams away

Post #510294  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:26 pm 

He’s definitely putting a lot of stock in Nketiah

Post #510295  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I think he's giving him a run to see how if he will be in next year's squad, with either or both of Lacazette and Aubameyang gone

Post #510296  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:35 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think he's giving him a run to see how if he will be in next year's squad, with either or both of Lacazette and Aubameyang gone

probably the most logical explanation. Looks pretty ominous in that case

Post #510297  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:38 pm 

No Mustafi :58big-emoticons: No Lacazette :icon_eek1:

Post #510298  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

probably the most logical explanation. Looks pretty ominous in that case

I'm not too pushed about it really. Aubameyang is a top striker but his age is a factor and once his pace goes or injuries starting becoming frequent, he would be a very expensive player to have on the books. Lacazette never did anything for me. Good work ethic but not terribly difficult to replace.

Post #510299  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:50 pm 

Any links for the game?

Post #510300  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:01 pm 

https://live.olahraga24.com/srv-1/?utm_ ... raga24.com

Post #510301  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:17 pm 

Ceballos has changed the midfield. When he receives the ball he's looking to play it forward instead of immediately playing it back to the central defender. He's looking for runs. So you have both he and Özil looking for runs and to get it to players in attacking positions.

I like how we have more bodies in the box. (Wasn't there a forumite in here with that name?). Slowly we are changing to a more direct side. Far from the finished article but its evident we are different than we were in the first half of the season.

Post #510302  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:19 pm 

It's also obvious Ceballos isn't Real Madrid quality as well.

Post #510303  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:22 pm 

How did Sokratis miss that?

Post #510304  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:22 pm 

Wake up Pépé your not on the same wavelength as your team mates so far

Post #510305  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:23 pm 

West ham should be 2 up. Our defending is a joke.

Post #510306  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:30 pm 

Pépé hasn’t found a team mate yet. Not at the races

Post #510307  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:32 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Pépé hasn’t found a team mate yet. Not at the races

We are looking distinctly average again.

We keep giving the ball away and WH look really dangerous on the break against our paceless defence.

Post #510308  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:42 pm 

WH should have scored 3, we are living dangerously.

Mari decent on the ball but looks too slow for the PL.

Post #510309  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:44 pm 

Saka has had lots of decent crossing opportunities but yet to hit the killer ball.

Post #510310  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:49 pm 

I’m always amazed how quick the VAR decisions are made when it is possibly a penalty to Arsenal.

Post #510311  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:55 pm 

Well, we were pretty poor. West Ham looking distinctly dangerous from counters and set pieces. Pépé has the beating of his man but really looks like a headless chicken.
Good news is we're still level and have the chance to change the pattern of the game after the break.

Post #510312  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:56 pm 

Poor all round really. Plenty of the ball but lacking that end product and extremely vulnerable when WH counter attack.

Özil taking Pépé's space and making it too crowded on the right side.

Our left side is the most dangerous with Saka's overlaps but his crossing is not up to his usual standard.

Post #510313  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:04 pm 

Sok is not suitable as a right back. With him there, opposition knows there won't be any overlapping attacks down that wing. He prefers to pass back, and prefers the easier pass.

Post #510314  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:08 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Sok is not suitable as a right back. With him there, opposition knows there won't be any overlapping attacks down that wing. He prefers to pass back, and prefers the easier pass.

Yes, it's not helping our attacks down that side.

Post #510315  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:15 pm 

Another big chance for WH, could easily have scored 4.

Post #510316  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:18 pm 

Our central midfield is so one-paced.

Post #510317  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:21 pm 

Saka has been our main threat.

Post #510318  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:26 pm 

Arteta would appear to not rate Martinelli that highly.

Post #510319  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:28 pm 

Why oh why do we need to make a fetish out of passing out from the back. No point when they are being pressed closely. It will cost us.

Post #510320  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:30 pm 

Beginning to have serious concerns about Arteta's team selections and substitutions.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12755, 12756, 12757, 12758, 12759, 12760, 12761 ... 14269  Next