Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: warrior and 94 guests

Post #516481  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I agree. Liverpool away is on paper our hardest game of the season. We lost but after being completely outplayed in the first half, we at least gave them a game in the second half.

If Liverpool don’t walk the league this year it will be a massive upset, as big as when Man U were in their pomp.
They are the only settled, injury free top team with no weak areas and have only deepened and strengthens their squad. Thiago, Jota and the back up left back. A couple of youngsters who are coming through, they are stronger than last year.
Everyone else has a big area of weakness, too small a squad, bedding in new players, or a Manager who can’t influence matches.

Liverpool by 20 points again.

Maybe injuries will slow them down.

Post #516482  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:00 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:
If Liverpool don’t walk the league this year it will be a massive upset, as big as when Man U were in their pomp.
They are the only settled, injury free top team with no weak areas and have only deepened and strengthens their squad. Thiago, Jota and the back up left back. A couple of youngsters who are coming through, they are stronger than last year.
Everyone else has a big area of weakness, too small a squad, bedding in new players, or a Manager who can’t influence matches.

Liverpool by 20 points again.

If they lost van Dijk it would, but they just don’t get long injuries or any to their key players. Van Dijk has played 90odd straight games in the prem, salah/Mané/firminho have only missed something like 30 of the last 300 games combined. Trent and Robertson similar.
But I think they are set up to cater for injuries better than any team as well.
I’d still like to see it though, especially when you see us have at least two season ending injuries to an important player every season

Post #516483  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
Goonie wrote:

If they lost van Dijk it would, but they just don’t get long injuries or any to their key players. Van Dijk has played 90odd straight games in the prem, salah/Mané/firminho have only missed something like 30 of the last 300 games combined. Trent and Robertson similar.
But I think they are set up to cater for injuries better than any team as well.
I’d still like to see it though, especially when you see us have at least two season ending injuries to an important player every season

I've been hoping for injuries to their key players for a couple of seasons now. :1laughter:

We've been unlucky with injuries for about 15 years now. :20hospitals:

Post #516484  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:22 pm 

I think our recent wins over Liverpool encouraged them to take the game very seriously tonight such was the intensity of their pressing and commitment throughout the entire match.

Can't really complain about the result but that wouldn't be much craic would it?

First up, the referee was a complete homer tonight. Possible red for Mané early on and quite a few blatant fouls not given particularly on counter attacks in the second half. Par for the course at Anfield then, even without the Kop influencing things.

Second, thought Luiz should have got back into position a lot quicker for Liverpool's equaliser after his tussle outside the box. Also think Leno could have done better with the shot.

Finally, I read Ornstein on Twitter tonight saying Roma had made an unacceptable offer for Lacazette. Some of you may remember I wanted us to sell him before last season and I'd be quite happy for Nkietiah to get an opportunity ahead of the Frenchman in the next few weeks. Agreed with the Sky analysis on his first offside effort being lazy and overall I thought he had a poor game and would have hooked him much earlier despite his goal. Wiltord would have buried that chance he had in the second half!!

Overall though to be fair, I thought the team put in a respectable performance against a top side and certainly it was pleasant not to witness a complete farce in the second half as we have seen there before. Ceballos not starting would seem to be the biggest selection regret on the night. Hopefully we will bag these two players before the window closes, a lot of Arsenal fans happiness resting on that but the finances cannot be good at all for us in the current situation.

Post #516485  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:23 pm 

Niall wrote:
Finally, I read Ornstein on Twitter tonight saying Roma had made an unacceptable offer for Lacazette. Some of you may remember I wanted us to sell him before last season and I'd be quite happy for Nkietiah to get an opportunity ahead of the Frenchman in the next few weeks. Agreed with the Sky analysis on his first offside effort being lazy and overall I thought he had a poor game and would have hooked him much earlier despite his goal. Wiltord would have buried that chance he had in the second half!!

Although his build up play is decent, I’m struggling to see reasons why we shouldn’t try and sell Lacazette. As I discussed with socrates, he has little pace, gets caught in offside positions a frustratingly high number of times, and his finishing isn’t consistent (in a positive sense anyway).

The trouble is I’m a long way from being convinced about Nketiah. Lightweight and if he doesn’t score, adds very little to the team. Can’t head the ball, a less good work rate than Lacazette, not strong on hold up play, and not blindingly quick either. I know some people love him, like DHD whose opinions I have great respect for. But to use the phrase that Hazuki made about Holding being a mid-table defender, which I agree with him about, at this moment to me Nketiah looks at best a Newcastle or West Ham sort of level player. If that. I hope I’m wrong but we’ll see.

Post #516486  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:23 am 

Thought Bellerin was poor defensively. Constantly drifting into the middle and leaving the right exposed to players sneaking around to the back post.

Post #516487  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:50 am 

This match was really about Liverpool playing some of their best football. Yes, we could and should have done better but they were at their best. I think this is down to how well we have progressed over the last few months. Klopp took this match very seriously and it was evident. We beat them not too long ago and he was loathe to see that happen again.

I like Holding but he was way out of his depth. He must have had a talking to at half time. He's fine against lower opposition but this was way too much. To be fair, Liverpool were the type of Liverpool that would have been as good or better than Barcelona, Bayern or PSG last night. Holding clearly out of his depth and the same would have happened to Mustafi. Luiz has seen it all so is a bit calmer.

Liverpool's keeper did what a keeper on a side like Liverpool was supposed to do. He wasn't going to have much to do except stop the 2 or 3 great chances of the opposition and he did his job well. That said, in a game like this, the only way to get something out of it, was for your attackers to take advantage of any halfway decent chance at goal. It was going to be one of those types of games where you may only have 3 or 4 good looks at goal and you needed to score on them to win or a couple of them to get something out of the game. We've all seen matches where a team only has 2 or 3 looks and scores on all of them despite not having anything close to meaningful possession and playing in their own half the entire game. This was one of those games. We will have to make a decision on Pépé after this season. It's going to be very difficult to write off part of that 70 million but we may have to make a harsh decision. In hindsight, Zaha would have cost less and been a better fit possibly. Pépé needs a lot of coaching. He needs someone to look at game films with him and identify shortcomings. And he may also need some man managing to work on his mentality.

Liverpool aren't going to play like this every game. Like most teams they get up for the big games and are not as focused on much weaker opposition. The one takeaway from this is that we have Klopp's respect. He was very happy because he has a great deal of respect for Arteta and he has seen a massive change in just a few short months.

Partey and Aouar now look like must buys if we are serious about top 4 and challenging seriously in the upcoming years.
I'm not going to make much out of a game this early in the season away to a team that is possibly the best in the world or very, very close to it.

Post #516488  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:12 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Thought Bellerin was poor defensively. Constantly drifting into the middle and leaving the right exposed to players sneaking around to the back post.

I think that is because the players ahead of him do not chase back. Willian & Pépé did nothing defensively or offensively. Tierney had M-N doubling up for him but he still struggled. Make no mistake Liverpool put us thru the hoops but I don’t think much of our game plan or the way we used it.

Post #516489  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:59 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
People on twitter blaming Leno for the third goal.

Leno must think he’s living in a Christopher Nolan movie where he’s being judged on his actions that are occurring in a parallel dimension not the actual present day.

Blamed for not saving a shot that went in off the post? or not coming to claim the cross?

It was Luiz's poor header and lack of cover on the edge of the box to blame. I see CB make those headers, they cant quite get enough power on it so they should just be heading it back out towards the touchline rather than in to the centre of the goal

I watched this again and again. The ball was not well hit and bounced 3 times before crossing the line. He was unsighted initially but I would have expected he would have at least moved to try and stop the ball. His reflex’s were too slow- he might not have saved it but the fact he did not move is difficult to defend. But carry on defending him. 2 poor games from him out of 3 in my book. Nibble nibble. Waiting waiting...

Post #516490  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:24 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I like Holding but he was way out of his depth. He must have had a talking to at half time. He's fine against lower opposition but this was way too much. To be fair, Liverpool were the type of Liverpool that would have been as good or better than Barcelona, Bayern or PSG last night. Holding clearly out of his depth and the same would have happened to Mustafi.

I’m putting that comment at the end down that to your personal dislike of Mustafi. He showed before his injury that he’s comfortably better than Holding.

Post #516491  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:15 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
Blamed for not saving a shot that went in off the post? or not coming to claim the cross?

It was Luiz's poor header and lack of cover on the edge of the box to blame. I see CB make those headers, they cant quite get enough power on it so they should just be heading it back out towards the touchline rather than in to the centre of the goal

I watched this again and again. The ball was not well hit and bounced 3 times before crossing the line. He was unsighted initially but I would have expected he would have at least moved to try and stop the ball. His reflex’s were too slow- he might not have saved it but the fact he did not move is difficult to defend. But carry on defending him. 2 poor games from him out of 3 in my book. Nibble nibble. Waiting waiting...

Ridiculous nobody was saving that, it was right in the corner.

Attachments:

Post #516492  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:24 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

He did not move - just watched. Anyway putting aside the third goal - I suggest you list to the Tuesday Club about their views which happen to coincide my own.

Post #516493  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:29 am 

Im still thinking we are making a mistake playing Aubameyang and Lacazette in these difficult away games. Aubameyang is good but if your not going to get the ball up to your striker enough your better off playing an industrious type like Willian or Saka on the left instead and pushing Aubameyang up top.

Post #516494  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:30 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He did not move - just watched. Anyway putting aside the third goal - I suggest you list to the Tuesday Club about their views which happen to coincide my own.

He didn’t move because it’s bang in the corner.

The latest Tuesday club?

Post #516495  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:32 am 

Has anybody checked the foul throws, were they they illegal if so why? I noticed watching the kids this weekend the young refs giving foul throw ins and couldn't see a fault. Have the rules changed?

Was Jota's a handball or not?

Post #516496  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:38 am 

No sense getting too down-hearted about a good thumping away from home by the current Pool. They're really really good, and we've pulled their tails recently so we were due a poke in the eye.

Agree with John about Pépé. From minute one of his Arsenal career I've thought he has the look of a complete bell-end, and despite obvious talent he hasn't delivered consistently. I think most professional footballers can do the tricks and flicks that he tries to pull off, they just choose not to because its high risk and not what the modern game is about. It's not like he has Mbappe pace to go with it so he never really beats his man. Head down player, rather than head up. 3 more years of that joker too.

Lacazette the same. He's a party-boy and consumer of laughing gas for starters which is a massive red flag, and all-round average Joe with square feet, little pace and patchy scoring record. If Mbappe is keeping you out of the French team then ok, no shame there. If Greizmann is keeping you out then we're entering questionable territory. If OllyG is keeping you from getting in the squad then you're bang average.

For me, Leno, Kieran, Big Lumpinho, Hector, Granit, Dani, The Conservative MP for Arsenal, Saka, Aubameyang, Martinelli, and Willian when he's on it are the players we can say are up to scratch. Big Dave, Shkods, Elneny and Eddie bring a level of ok-ness to proceedings, but the rest either have flaws in their game that they are never gonna fix, havent played enough to make an impression, or probably aren't gonna be good enough. If we could lose Pépé, Lacazette and Özil from the squad that would save us about £35m on wages and lets be real, we are not getting anything approaching value on that outlay at the moment.

So that's where we are, and I think Tets deservers huge credit for getting a decent tune out of this 3 string guitar. Only Saka and Aubameyang wouldn't look out of place in the Invincibles, although I can't fault Martinelli's contributions when he was fit, the boy is a playa, and Kieran also looks mighty fine so far in fairness. We've got a ways to go yet before we really start looking like a contender, but we've got the right guy in charge. I wouldn't change managers with any team in the Prem bar Klopp, and that includes Pep who is a proper mental spanner. So we've fixed the head, lets give the guy a few years to really sort the squad out. We can get Top4 because except for Pool all the rest are flawed or have squads like ours.

Post #516497  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:07 am 

Pompey Gooner wrote:

For me, Leno, Kieran, Big Lumpinho, Hector, Granit, Dani, The Conservative MP for Arsenal, Saka, Aubameyang, Martinelli, and Willian when he's on it are the players we can say are up to scratch. Big Dave, Shkods, Elneny and Eddie bring a level of ok-ness to proceedings, but the rest either have flaws in their game that they are never gonna fix, havent played enough to make an impression, or probably aren't gonna be good enough. If we could lose Pépé, Lacazette and Özil from the squad that would save us about £35m on wages and lets be real, we are not getting anything approaching value on that outlay at the moment.

Good post john, agree with a lot of this.

Felt like watershed moment for Lacazette and Pépé late night. Pepes transfer looks a complete disaster now and people will be watching him very closely in the next game.

Post #516498  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:08 am 

I don't think we were great defensively last night, even though I thought David Luiz was excellent bar that clearing header for the 3rd goal. He was the only defender calm enough in possession to beat the Liverpool press.

If you add Aouar and Partey to our central midfield then suddenly (on paper at least) we look a yard quicker, stronger and more progressive. Sadly, I think we we will be lucky to get one of them if any.

Post #516499  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
Niall wrote:

Although his build up play is decent, I’m struggling to see reasons why we shouldn’t try and sell Lacazette. As I discussed with socrates, he has little pace, gets caught in offside positions a frustratingly high number of times, and his finishing isn’t consistent (in a positive sense anyway).

The trouble is I’m a long way from being convinced about Nketiah. Lightweight and if he doesn’t score, adds very little to the team. Can’t head the ball, a less good work rate than Lacazette, not strong on hold up play, and not blindingly quick either. I know some people love him, like DHD whose opinions I have great respect for. But to use the phrase that Hazuki made about Holding being a mid-table defender, which I agree with him about, at this moment to me Nketiah looks at best a Newcastle or West Ham sort of level player. If that. I hope I’m wrong but we’ll see.

Hi Bernard,

Nketiah is an old fashioned fox-in-the-box. His work rate is commendable, he's quite quick and he has that uncanny knack of getting into positions to score goals, quite often tap-ins. The downside is that he isn't especially strong with his back to goal thus is hold-up play is not great. As you point out in playing him you gain some things but lose some things as well.

Post #516500  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:17 am 

Listening to the Tuesday club, it’s good but I disagree with the sentiment on Leno. Surely Uber critical to criticise his role in the first goal, also I can’t agree with the passing out from the back stuff. In certain moments maybe too hesitant sure fair enough but it didn’t cost us a goal and had nothing to do with our midfield not being good enough to hold on to the ball or Lacazette not being able to hit the net.

I think they made decent points about moving Aubameyang up top, bringing Saka on and the quality of Ceballos when he came on.

My overriding thoughts on this game this morning are we simply need 2 new midfielders and unfortunately a new striker now and not to replace our goalkeeper.

Post #516501  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:29 am 

socrates wrote:
Hi Bernard,

Nketiah is an old fashioned fox-in-the-box. His work rate is commendable, he's quite quick and he has that uncanny knack of getting into positions to score goals, quite often tap-ins. The downside is that he isn't especially strong with his back to goal thus is hold-up play is not great. As you point out in playing him you gain some things but lose some things as well.

Agree with that. The trouble for us is Nketiah is a finisher of moves, so is Aubameyang and so to some extent is Pépé. All of them like to be on the end of moves, rarely the fulcrum of the move itself. I think that is where Lacazette has the edge on Nketiah and it is more to do with team balance

If you play 3 up top at least one of them needs to have a different skillset and to be a creator as well as chipping in with goals. That should really be Pépé but it hasn't worked for him so far.

Post #516502  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:33 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Has anybody checked the foul throws, were they they illegal if so why? I noticed watching the kids this weekend the young refs giving foul throw ins and couldn't see a fault. Have the rules changed?

Was Jota's a handball or not?

I think both foul throws were because Bellerin didn't release the ball from behind his head, it is easy to do when you're trying to do a 'slow' throw in to someone quite close to you.

No way of telling if Jota's was handball because we weren't given the chance to look at the frame by frame VAR review. That is the annoying part, give it the full treatment as every other goal incident has this season and if the ref still can't make a firm decision then let the goal stand, no problem with that, but at least review it.

Post #516503  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I think they made decent points about moving Aubameyang up top, bringing Saka on and the quality of Ceballos when he came on.

My overriding thoughts on this game this morning are we simply need 2 new midfielders and unfortunately a new striker now and not to replace our goalkeeper.

Yep, get two high quality central midfielders in and the team definitely moves from top 6-8 to potential top 4. It would be great if we could address other issues as well but we'll have to do things in priority order over a period of time on a limited budget, just like Klopp has had to do at Liverpool.

Next season look at a new striker and make a decision on the futures of Nketiah, Holding and Nelson. We will probably also be looking for another CB to replace Luiz (assuming Soktrais, Chambers, Mustafi are all gone by then as well). I also think we could revisit the right back position if teams like PSG are still interested in Bellerin, £20m next year. That Castagne at Leciester looks a great purchase for £25m, he won't be moving to use next year but using it as an example of value in the market for players who just seem suited to the league

Post #516504  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:42 am 

socrates wrote:
If you add Aouar and Partey to our central midfield then suddenly (on paper at least) we look a yard quicker, stronger and more progressive. Sadly, I think we we will be lucky to get one of them if any.

I think we will get Aouar. The Lyon president has made enough noise to suggest they will sell but wants a good price. My gut feeling is something around 40 million with add ons will do it but Lyon will drag it out to at least make it look to their fans that they didn't sell too easily.

Partey or another is going to depend on sales. Such a shame we can't find the buyers or permanent deals for Torreira and Guendouzi. That could be enough to buy Partey if we could sell at market rate. You'd hope if Atletico want Torreira that some deal can be struck there.
Also so annoying that Özil is happy to just waste his time and not go and play football somewhere, even if we covered 50% of his wage it would be £9m to add to the transfer pot.

There are sales to be made that could still generate good money

Post #516505  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:05 am 

Pompey Gooner wrote:
We can get Top4 because except for Pool all the rest are flawed or have squads like ours.

Agree with that. I really want us to get Partey and Aouar, to get us to that next level where we can challenge for the title in the near future, but we can get top 4 even without them. Liverpool and Manchester City will be firmly out of reach for anyone else, but Manchester United aren't all that looking beyond their front three, and Chelsea for all their money spent look dreadful so far. Rode their luck against a Brighton side that outplayed them for big parts of the game, and were crap against Liverpool and WBA. Leicester looking like the biggest threat so far, with Everton as an outsider, but we should definitely be in the fight.

Post #516506  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:09 am 

Pompey Gooner wrote:
No sense getting too down-hearted about a good thumping away from home by the current Pool. They're really really good, and we've pulled their tails recently so we were due a poke in the eye.

Agree with John about Pépé. From minute one of his Arsenal career I've thought he has the look of a complete bell-end, and despite obvious talent he hasn't delivered consistently. I think most professional footballers can do the tricks and flicks that he tries to pull off, they just choose not to because its high risk and not what the modern game is about. It's not like he has Mbappe pace to go with it so he never really beats his man. Head down player, rather than head up. 3 more years of that joker too.

Lacazette the same. He's a party-boy and consumer of laughing gas for starters which is a massive red flag, and all-round average Joe with square feet, little pace and patchy scoring record. If Mbappe is keeping you out of the French team then ok, no shame there. If Greizmann is keeping you out then we're entering questionable territory. If OllyG is keeping you from getting in the squad then you're bang average.

So that's where we are, and I think Tets deservers huge credit for getting a decent tune out of this 3 string guitar. Only Saka and Aubameyang wouldn't look out of place in the Invincibles, although I can't fault Martinelli's contributions when he was fit, the boy is a playa, and Kieran also looks mighty fine so far in fairness. We've got a ways to go yet before we really start looking like a contender, but we've got the right guy in charge. I wouldn't change managers with any team in the Prem bar Klopp, and that includes Pep who is a proper mental spanner. So we've fixed the head, lets give the guy a few years to really sort the squad out. We can get Top4 because except for Pool all the rest are flawed or have squads like ours.

Good post.

We competed far better last night, and gave Liverpool a fright. As both you and Niall mention, we've given them a couple of black eyes recently so they were extremely motivated for this one. They played far far better than they did against Leeds, so the claims that Leeds gave them more of a game are unfair imo. At least it feels like we give enough of a toss now.

We need a bit of patience and give Mikel time, just like Liverpool gave Klopp.

Post #516507  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:18 am 

The passing out from the back should be a tactic not a fetish. If you have Aubameyang a few balls over the top would not go astray to keep the Pool defence honest.

Post #516508  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:24 am 

john1 wrote:

Yes, let's not forget Liverpool finished 8th the season Klopp took over as manager, and in the following two seasons they finished 4th. It's going to be a gradual process where we need to strengthen our team and build our way of playing up bit by bit. I think we've seen enough from Arteta to be quite positive that he's the guy to lead us at least, can't say the same for Chelsea, United and Tottenham.

Post #516509  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:02 am 

Gunfire wrote:
The passing out from the back should be a tactic not a fetish. If you have Aubameyang a few balls over the top would not go astray to keep the Pool defence honest.

I agree with this. Playing out from the back gets increasingly dodgy the better the opposition is at closing players in possession down. Although there were no errors from that to give a goal away, Liverpool are close to the finished article in closing players down. Hence it was always going to be quite risky last night.

Post #516510  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:05 am 

This upcoming international break could be quite well timed for us. Sheffield United at home is definitely a game we should win with our current squad, but then it's two weeks until we're up against City. If we get a signing or two done before the window closes chances are they will be ready to play by then. Leicester looking like an early key fixture.

Post #516511  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:50 am 

If this is true Aoua, can go where ever but not to us. I only want people committed to the fight. He'll have a good year and use that as a bargaining chip to eff off to City.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... ews-gossip

Post #516512  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:41 am 

Hazuki wrote:
john1 wrote:

Yes, let's not forget Liverpool finished 8th the season Klopp took over as manager, and in the following two seasons they finished 4th. It's going to be a gradual process where we need to strengthen our team and build our way of playing up bit by bit. I think we've seen enough from Arteta to be quite positive that he's the guy to lead us at least, can't say the same for Chelsea, United and Tottenham.

I am far more positive about Arteta than any of Lampard, Ole or Jose. Jose will get good results but he's too confrontational and us against the world, his routine doesn't work now so it'll end in tears. Ole and Lampard just strike me as managers who can pick a team of his best players and that's about it, I just don't see anything from either of them that tells me they can influence their teams beyond the individual skills of the players they pick.

Also the comparisons with Klopp, 8th and patience are fair but we started in a worse position than Klopp for 2 reasons. 1) We have way more millstones around our neck, just bad players on big contracts we can't shift. 2) we don't have a golden goose we can shift for £140m to Barca, That was really the catalyst for Klopp to get his GK and CB that turned them from pretty good to world class team.

Post #516513  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:42 am 

Lyon have agreed a deal to sign Lucas Paquetá from Milan - he's an attacking central midfielder. Aouar replacement.....?

Post #516514  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:03 pm 

Rich wrote:
Also the comparisons with Klopp, 8th and patience are fair but we started in a worse position than Klopp for 2 reasons. 1) We have way more millstones around our neck, just bad players on big contracts we can't shift. 2) we don't have a golden goose we can shift for £140m to Barca, That was really the catalyst for Klopp to get his GK and CB that turned them from pretty good to world class team.

I would say we had a better squad when Arteta took over than Liverpool had in October 2015. Mignolet as first choice keeper, Lovren, Sakho and Skrtel as their three main central defenders, and Coutinho their only player with a little attacking flair, Klopp really had to build them from the ground up. You could argue players like Henderson, Firmino and Milner were already there, but nobody really rated them until Klopp made them work in his team.

Post #516515  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:06 pm 

thought Maitland Niles did enough yesterday to get a chance at starting in the right wing. then Saka can start on the left. Think that both of them offer more than what Willian or Pépé did this morning and also both are more committed to tracking back.

1st half was hard to watch but it was against the best team in the league.

Commentators (maybe Jim Beglin or Peter Drury) were constantly talking about playing it over the top as there was a lot of space so think we were a bit too conservative in the 1st half and could have caused a few more problems. It might also have pegged their midfield back a little bit.

Glad to see the 2nd half a lot different and Arteta will improve this team more in the coming months.

Post #516516  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:21 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

I would say we had a better squad when Arteta took over than Liverpool had in October 2015. Mignolet as first choice keeper, Lovren, Sakho and Skrtel as their three main central defenders, and Coutinho their only player with a little attacking flair, Klopp really had to build them from the ground up. You could argue players like Henderson, Firmino and Milner were already there, but nobody really rated them until Klopp made them work in his team.

Yeah I can see that argument. But the best comparison would be if we sold Özil for £140m. A player who is talented but doesn't fit in the managers formation or style of play so was expendable. If we sold Özil for £140m I think we'd be much better set to emulate Klopp's team than we are currently, even if we started with a superior squad.

Post #516517  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:23 pm 

Boubakary Soumaré will leave Lille this summer, their president has said he'll leave. Lots of clubs have been after this guy. 6 years younger than Partey with a similar price tag I think

Lyon set us a Friday deadline to agree the Aouar deal and rumours are we've nearly given up on Partey as Atletico don't want to budge on any negotiation. Don't sell or loan them Torreira then, he's got offers to go back to Italy.

Post #516518  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:25 pm 

I'd expect the league cup team to be similar to Leicester.
Runarsson should get a run in goal
I'd like to see Saliba, Gabriel, Kolasinac (only to protect others)
Saka and AMN as wing backs
Willock and Ceballos in midfield
Pépé Nketiah Nelson up front

Post #516519  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:35 pm 

Worth noting in the Leno/Martinez debate which I'm sure will rumble on every time Leno is perceived to make a mistake. Martinez dropped a total clanger in the Fulham game last night, Villa were 3-0 up but he fumbled a pretty routine shot and Fulham tapped in the rebound, it was wiped out because Mitrovic fouled someone in the box - but the mistake was still there from Martinez.

I still think the club made the right decision. Who knows if anyone was even in for Leno anyway? Martinez had a 15 game sample and there was £20m on the table for a player who's value was unlikely to be higher.

He's playing for a team where he will likely face lots of shots and make lots of saves so I'm sure the media will throw it back at Arsenal every time he makes some saves, he's a good GK, sometimes transfers can mean both teams are winners.

Post #516520  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:36 pm 

Rich wrote:
I'd expect the league cup team to be similar to Leicester.
Runarsson should get a run in goal
I'd like to see Saliba, Gabriel, Kolasinac (only to protect others)
Saka and AMN as wing backs
Willock and Ceballos in midfield
Pépé Nketiah Nelson up front

That is not a bad lineup, and it will be interesting to see Liverpool's side. Thiago will probably start if he's fit, but as scary as Anfield is they're bound to rest at least a couple of their key players. They have good replacements, but it's not just about the individual quality with them, their starting eleven is very well-drilled and knows exactly how to play together. Shift 4-5 players around and it's a slightly different beast.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12910, 12911, 12912, 12913, 12914, 12915, 12916 ... 14269  Next