Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DHD, warrior and 38 guests

Post #514281  Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:22 pm 

DHD wrote:
Rich wrote:
On the basis Luiz, Saliba and Mari are the ones who are safe and with us for next season - I would be trying to sell Sokratis and Holding and Kolasinac, even if we replace them with just a single left sided centre-back we'd be better off. Gabriel Margheles at £20-25m is highly rated and attracting a lot of interest. You could sell those 3 above and replace for the same price you generate. .

errrr...who in their right minds would buy any of them, Rich?

I get it they are difficult to shift, but so many other big clubs manage to move on the players who have constantly failed. Teams like Sunderland, Everton and West Ham seem to just snap up any old has been as long as he comes from one of the big 6

Post #514282  Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:29 pm 

I could see a club like palace or Brighton taking a punt on rob holding but sokratis and Kolasinac are on over 100k a week. Surely nobody would be that stupid to offer them a contract paying anywhere near that.

They are Mesut Özil type situations whilst they run their contracts down.

Post #514283  Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:11 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
Hi Rich,

Almost every area of our team needs improvement.

I feel this is a pivotal summer of recruitment because with United and Chelsea making top four the spending power amongst those four clubs will make it incredibly difficult to bridge the gap.

Chelsea appear to be dining at the top table again transfer-wise. Werner, Ziyech and potentially Kai Havertz as well. If they get a new keeper and CB then they look capable of moving to the next level.

United will always have huge spending power. If they get it right this summer they too could move up a level.

Clearly spending big is no guarantee of success, as we've seen with United in recent seasons and even with our own Pépé deal. The most astute deals do not always cost the most money. I just hope that we are putting in place a worldclass scouting network because relying on Raul's contact book of superagents is not the way to go in my opinion.

The Mirror are reporting that Arteta’s been told the transfer budget is £30m. I would hope that’s a net figure, but regardless of that if anyone thinks we’re going to see loads of the positions improved that they feel require strengthening, try overdosing on the new ‘enhance your realism’ tablets that have just come out.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... id=2184360

Maybe they're just saying that to try and keep the sellers prices at a realistic level. I remember when we were in the CL and everyone knew we had tonnes of cash, prices were adjusted up accordingly. Not to mention wage demands.

Post #514284  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:43 am 

We are a club in transition ........................... again!
For how long have we been in transition? I think it started when Stan bought the club. Holding up hopes that Arteta gets us out of the transition loop next season. Then again, the same was said when Emery was appointed. I am hoping Arteta has the guile and guts to make the right but difficult decisions for his squad.

Post #514285  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:48 am 

I was thinking that our handling of the Saliba situation might come back to haunt us sometime in the future. We failed to do whatever we can to let him play in the Final. We should have empathised with his thinking. When would he ever get into another French Cup Final again? It was his first chance of a major silverware, and we did not do our best to give him that chance. And if we continue on our ambition-less ways, he will soon look elsewhere, or his head will be turned whoever is calling. I expect him to impress in the Arsenal team (difficult not to, given who we have), and make MOM in many games. He will surely attract interest.

Post #514286  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:48 am 

Arsenal star David Luiz caps off horror season with unwanted Premier League record

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... 1695c708a8

Luiz has now given away a whopping FIVE penalties this season - the most a single player has given away in one season.

Post #514287  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:00 am 

warrior wrote:
Arsenal star David Luiz caps off horror season with unwanted Premier League record

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... 1695c708a8

Luiz has now given away a whopping FIVE penalties this season - the most a single player has given away in one season.

Congratulations to David. it is not easy to achieve at such a high level. What is remarkable is the fact that Arteta decided to have another year of him. What a salesman he is.

Post #514288  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:34 am 

"...and Mustafi said 'Had I been healthy the record would have been mine. Let's see about it next season.[ "

Post #514289  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:01 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
"...and Mustafi said 'Had I been healthy the record would have been mine. Let's see about it next season.[ "

Is he still knocking off your girlfriend then?

Post #514290  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:44 am 

On the discussion about selling players, we need to be smart about it this summer. Looks like our budget won't be that big this summer so offloading the right players might be essential.

For example, we have too many central defenders. With Luiz extending, Mari being signed permanently and Saliba coming over you have to figure those three are penciled in to feature a lot. We probably need two more in the squad, so that leaves two spots for Sokratis, Mustafi, Holding and Chambers. I would be looking to sell Holding and Chambers. I like them both but it's clear they're not going to be the top players we hoped for. With them being 25 and homegrown they're worth money, I'd say about 20m each under normal circumstances, and it makes no sense to have valuable assets like that in backup roles when we need to strengthen.

Other players who we might get good money for that seem expendable are Torreira, Lacazette and Martinez. Arteta is looking like a really good manager prospect, so it's really important to get this summer right and give him a squad to work with.

Post #514291  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:30 am 

Hazuki wrote:
On the discussion about selling players, we need to be smart about it this summer. Looks like our budget won't be that big this summer so offloading the right players might be essential.

For example, we have too many central defenders. With Luiz extending, Mari being signed permanently and Saliba coming over you have to figure those three are penciled in to feature a lot. We probably need two more in the squad, so that leaves two spots for Sokratis, Mustafi, Holding and Chambers. I would be looking to sell Holding and Chambers. I like them both but it's clear they're not going to be the top players we hoped for. With them being 25 and homegrown they're worth money, I'd say about 20m each under normal circumstances, and it makes no sense to have valuable assets like that in backup roles when we need to strengthen.

Other players who we might get good money for that seem expendable are Torreira, Lacazette and Martinez. Arteta is looking like a really good manager prospect, so it's really important to get this summer right and give him a squad to work with.

I do wonder if selling some of the young players might be an option.

People tend to over rate the young players. I don’t see much in willock that suggests he will make it at the highest level. Nelson looks quite good and has pace but seems to constantly run down blind alleys or just recycles possession. We dont seem to be harnessing his potential. Nketiah ? I’m sorry but if Lacazette was turning in those performances he would be getting ripped.

If you sold Nketiah, Maitland Niles and willock you might be able to get 10 million each from a championship club.

Maybe it’s me but I don’t see the blinding potential others seem to and actually they all look a bit lightweight in my eyes.

Post #514292  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:53 am 

Saw a funny headline today. "Chelsea willing to listen to offers of over £50m for Kepa" He's been awful. That price tag is solely set based on how much they paid for him rather than his ability.
That would be the 3rd highest transfer fee for a GK of all time, Kepa is barely worth £15m based on his performances this year.

This is the difference between the uber rich and the rest. Chelsea can loan him out, or take a big hit on his transfer fee and are uneffected by the loss. If everyone else makes these sorts of mistakes they have to either live with the poor player or any loss made in selling them seriously dents their ability to strengthen the squad.

Post #514293  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:33 pm 

I thought I would have seen all of them but I haven't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGloYtTZvTk&list=WL

Post #514294  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:03 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/premie ... -liverpool
A relegated 11

Interesting to note Liverpool have signed a player from a relegated club in each of the last 5 seasons.

Ake looks the best buy here but I think he's Man City bound

Post #514295  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Is he still knocking off your girlfriend then?

Post #514296  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:01 pm 

:icon_mrgreen:
If I'm found bound and gagged, there is one prime suspect...and he will have accomplices.

Attachments:

Post #514297  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:20 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-relegated-xi-aarons-ake-sarr-liverpool
A relegated 11

Interesting to note Liverpool have signed a player from a relegated club in each of the last 5 seasons.

Doucoure would be a cheaper (can't imagine he'd cost £45m) alternative to Partey, knows the PL and is literally right on our doorstep. Or over the hedge, if you prefer (training ground observation there). His performances may have dropped off a bit at the end of the season but he is very talented player, and at 27 should be approaching his peak.

Post #514298  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:27 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-relegated-xi-aarons-ake-sarr-liverpool
A relegated 11

Rich....who are the 5 ? ...Robertson the left back...I'm guessing.....Gomez,Shaquiri,?

Post #514299  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:34 pm 

:1laughter:

Post #514300  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:37 pm 

Have not seen enough of Mari to know if he'll be good enough. I'm excited about Partey. The fact we bought a person of his calibre for that position gives me hope. Saliba? Well he comes with a good reputation, but he's young and who knows how he will pan out. I am optimistic.

Post #514301  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:44 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm excited about Partey. The fact we bought a person of his calibre for that position gives me hope.

Eh? Is that a fact now?

Can’t find any corroborating info.

Post #514302  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:06 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
:1laughter:

Is that the tune Mustafi thinks of when you’re online then?

Post #514303  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:22 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Rich wrote:
A relegated 11

Rich....who are the 5 ? ...Robertson the left back...I'm guessing.....Gomez,Shaquiri,?

Robertson, Shaquiri, Winaldum, Ings......and they bought that young lad Harvey Elliot from Fulham when Fulham were relegated.

A player not mentioned in the list who I like is Delafauo from Watford, out with a long injury at the moment. Very much a 5/10 one week and 9/10 next week player so I'm not advocating his signing, but a tricky winger who can frighten the life out of teams. Similar to Sarr on the other flank at Watford, destroyed Liverpool but then you don't hear about him for 4 games.

I wonder if anyone will look at Buendia from Norwich. I think only De Bruyne created more chances than him this season. A good creator in a poor team with poor finishers can be overlooked. We certainly need some creativity.

Post #514304  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:39 pm 

Rich wrote:
We certainly need some creativity.

My money will be on you having to be satisfied with a longer deal for Ceballos.

Post #514305  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:08 pm 

Surprise surprise the red card given to a Brentford player, Ricoh Henry, for one of the worst sliding tackles you'll ever see, against Swansea has been rescinded........................

Post #514306  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:04 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
For how long have we been in transition? I think it started when Stan bought the club. Holding up hopes that Arteta gets us out of the transition loop next season. Then again, the same was said when Emery was appointed. I am hoping Arteta has the guile and guts to make the right but difficult decisions for his squad.

Hi Gooner7
In transition...more like in stagnation.

Post #514307  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:09 pm 

Zed wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Hi Gooner7
In transition...more like in stagnation.

You’ve earned yourself laughing emoji Zed.

Post #514308  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:27 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm excited about Partey. The fact we bought a person of his calibre for that position gives me hope.

Eh? Is that a fact now?

Can’t find any corroborating info.

Oh it can happen if, big if, Arsenal pay the £45.6m release clause prior to Atletico (Riojiblancos) doing any business with them. The £22.5M bid remains rejected by AM.

Post #514309  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:50 pm 

Right ltg, its not a done deal. I misspoke (or wrote). Still in negotiations. Knowing us, we won't end up getting him and he'll be in a sperz shirt with our luck.

Post #514310  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:54 pm 

I'm not looking forward to the cup final be honest. I just can' bear to watch Chelsea beat us. Yes, I'm pessimistic. I'll watch but if it looks bad early, I'll go over to HGTV and see what patterns the host picks for her renovations. That would be more interesting than seeing Chelsea lift the cup.

It would be almost as painful if we lose on PKs as well. I hope and pray we win and there are at least a couple cup finals I can recall us winning when it looked like we were outclassed but I'm not optimistic.

Post #514311  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
We certainly need some creativity.

My money will be on you having to be satisfied with a longer deal for Ceballos.

I'm sure that is on the cards.
I'm also expecting us to thrash out generous terms on a loan deal for Coutinho and a free transfer for Willian. And any other client of Joorabchian.

Willian has said "if chelsea offer a 3 year deal give me the pen and i'll sign the deal' They've only offered 2 years. His sole motivation is getting that 3rd year on a hefty contract - by which time he'll be 35. Is that really the route we want to take?

Post #514312  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:07 pm 

Saw some excited Arsenal fans on twitter because Arsenal were filming some kind of promotional video by the Henry statue, lots of stage smoke etc. Excitable fans piecing together than Henry was No. 14 and Aubameyang is No.14 so this is the clubs way of announcing his new contract!

Stranger things have happened, Arteta has certainly been making positive noises and you'd think he'd just stay on the fence on the matter if negotiations weren't going well. Arsenal have a habit of suprising us, good and bad, recently.

I'm not convinced, but I decide to post this to cover both bases and refer back to this post if it is true!

Post #514313  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:12 pm 

If it is true that Arsenal have offered Guendouzi + £22.5m for Partey instead of paying the £45m release clause then Arsenal must value Guendouzi at 'only' £22.5m. He has his limitations but given his age and his skillset (which is actually quite a rare set of skills for young central midfield players) I would expect us to be valuing him more than £22.5m.

Sell him for £30m plus and put that cash towards the Partey deal if Atletico want straight cash

Post #514314  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:17 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Right ltg, its not a done deal. I misspoke (or wrote). Still in negotiations. Knowing us, we won't end up getting him and he'll be in a sperz shirt with our luck.

Ah. I just got excited for a moment. Thought it was a done deal.

No idea if he’d improve us though. After all I got excited about Pépé coming.

Post #514315  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:20 pm 

Rich wrote:
If it is true that Arsenal have offered Guendouzi + £22.5m for Partey instead of paying the £45m release clause then Arsenal must value Guendouzi at 'only' £22.5m. He has his limitations but given his age and his skillset (which is actually quite a rare set of skills for young central midfield players) I would expect us to be valuing him more than £22.5m.

Sell him for £30m plus and put that cash towards the Partey deal if Atletico want straight cash

Hi Rich,

I don't think anyone is quite sure how to value players post Covid but £22.5m seems utterly ridiculous for a player of his age and talent.

Our transfer policy these days seems to be selling players for as little as possible whilst silmultaneously signing any clients of the superagents on fat contracts no matter how old or useless they might be.

Post #514316  Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:54 pm 

Rich wrote:
I'm also expecting us to thrash out generous terms on a loan deal for Coutinho and a free transfer for Willian. And any other client of Joorabchian.

Willian has said "if chelsea offer a 3 year deal give me the pen and i'll sign the deal' They've only offered 2 years. His sole motivation is getting that 3rd year on a hefty contract - by which time he'll be 35. Is that really the route we want to take?

We’ve all been waiting to see the back of Özil, even if it won’t happen until the end of his contract on 30th June 2021. All that signing Coutinho would do is give us two Özil’s next season. Another talented, bone idle player who stinks the place out. He was terrible at Bayern this season and was terrible at Barcelona before that.

If we do sign Willian on a three year deal and Coutinho, then in my view Sanllehi deserves to be looked at very seriously for his relationship with their agent Kia Joorabchian. He’s got to be on back handers from Joorabchian, surely?

Post #514317  Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

We’ve all been waiting to see the back of Özil, even if it won’t happen until the end of his contract on 30th June 2021. All that signing Coutinho would do is give us two Özil’s next season. Another talented, bone idle player who stinks the place out. He was terrible at Bayern this season and was terrible at Barcelona before that.

If we do sign Willian on a three year deal and Coutinho, then in my view Sanllehi deserves to be looked at very seriously for his relationship with their agent Kia Joorabchian. He’s got to be on back handers from Joorabchian, surely?

I don’t think you can describe Coutinhos loan at Bayern terrible!

8 goals and 6 assists from a midfield player in a new league isn’t a bad return, better than our entire midfield put together. I think it’s fair to say he hasn’t reached the expected heights however he’s got more talent than our entire midfield put together right now.

https://youtu.be/RiKf1E6YNXU

Willian is another matter completely. Wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole I actually think Pépé is a better player anyway

Post #514318  Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:13 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I don’t think you can describe Coutinhos loan at Bayern terrible!

8 goals and 6 assists from a midfield player in a new league isn’t a bad return, better than our entire midfield put together. I think it’s fair to say he hasn’t reached the expected heights however he’s got more talent than our entire midfield put together right now.

https://youtu.be/RiKf1E6YNXU

Willian is another matter completely. Wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole I actually think Pépé is a better player anyway

Terms like ‘terrible’ are subjective for footballers. I’ve said I don’t watch Bayern as much as I used to, but do follow chat rooms for their fans that are translatable to English (I don’t speak German).

I’ve seen enough from Bayern fans who do watch them, and whose opinions I have grown to respect, that makes me comfortable with using terrible as a subjective description of his time there. Also, the club had the option to sign him permanently and firmly decided against it.

All I can say is that I wouldn’t go near Coutinho with a barge pole. I think the chances are we’d be doubling up our problems with Özil next season by having two highly talented players with little or no motivation. My vote is for staying well clear of him.

Post #514319  Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:38 am 

I think some well structured loan deals can be helpful to us next year. Ceballos has played well recently but wasn't much cop at the start of the season, but without him we'd have been worse off. We certainly can't afford to sign a player of his calibre AND sort out the other areas of the team. So if that means taking a couple of carefully thought through loans, with loan fees and wages then I think it is the way we have to play the current market.
Rumours are we're looking to secure another year loan for Ceballos which is good. If Coutinho came on loan - assuming the ridiculous paper talk of £30m loan fee is absolute rubbish I'd be ok with that as well.

Post #514320  Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:00 am 

The tactics for the cup final have to be pretty similar to the semi final.

One key area will be using Lacazette to man mark or cut off the passing channels in to Jorginho, as he did to City's deep midfielder. Joringho didn't start the game at the Emirates when we dominated for 30 mins then Jorginho came on we sat off him, didn't have the stamina to press and chelsea came back and won it late on.

If Arteta can get the high but controlled press working alongside the deep defensive block then we have a chance.

Chelsea's main difference to City is they have a target man in Giroud that they can go longer to and then tricky players like Mount, Willian, Pulisic who can pick up the pieces around him. If they do that and those 3 get behind our midfield pair then it's curtains for us.

[ 571670 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12855, 12856, 12857, 12858, 12859, 12860, 12861 ... 14292  Next