Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 104 guests

Post #506801  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:49 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Dear God ...you two fairies are exactly why the world is in such a **&&^% mess ..... " sports psychologist "

FFS .... use the money to buy some hard arsed players ...... do you think Dave Mackay , Norman Hunter , Peter Storey and Chopper Harris needed a shrink

If we had those players instead of the current bunch of snowflakes then nobody would even consider a sports psychologist.

Unless, of course, they were accepting of modern successful practice and not rooted in a sepia tinted past. :12hello-bye:

:laughing7: ' Mama Mia ' ..... hark at this geriatric old faggot trying to appear all modern and avant - garde .

Why not get rid of the bloody " snowflakes " instead of catering for their needs ....... ?

Post #506802  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:50 pm 

Rich wrote:
That was the first time since 2011 that we’ve been behind at half time away from home and come back to win the game. 8 years!

That soon? :1laughter:

Post #506803  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:02 am 

Decaf wrote:

Was thinking that Peter Storey certainly could have used a shrink ...

What ..? ....... running a brothel , trying to mint counterfeit gold coins , married four times

........ sounds like a well rounded character to me .

Post #506804  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:17 am 

Rich wrote:
Chambers and Torriera may not be the answer at CB and holding mid but at least it is putting round pegs in round holes and picking two players who have natural defensive attributes. No dribbling out of defence, no long range passing just defend and give it to someone responsible for the attack. Small steps

Both deserve to stay in the team in those positions

Yes, agree.
Think one or both of Özil and Xhaka to be "rested". AMN too. The rest to keep their starting places.

Post #506805  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:43 am 

Martinelli must have a role to play against City.

Post #506806  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:34 am 

Is Özil in any of the goals celebration? Certainly didn't see him for the Aubameyang goal.

Post #506807  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:11 am 

bubblechris wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Dear God ...you two fairies are exactly why the world is in such a **&&^% mess ..... " sports psychologist "

FFS .... use the money to buy some hard arsed players ...... do you think Dave Mackay , Norman Hunter , Peter Storey and Chopper Harris needed a shrink

Was thinking the same. We don't need an ologist we need a Psycho...................................

:laughing7: not bad Chris .

Post #506808  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:18 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I need to see us play a reasonable team before I start thinking we are thru the worst.

:laughing7: That's the ticket Gaz ...why on earth celebrate the fact we got a much needed win when you can see a possible gloomy event further on down the track .

We beat West Ham ... okay so they aren't up to much at the moment but I'll tell you something for nothing their fans would have been ecstatic if they'd beaten us .

I'm happy :26encouragement:

Post #506809  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:42 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I need to see us play a reasonable team before I start thinking we are thru the worst.

:laughing7: That's the ticket Gaz ...why on earth celebrate the fact we got a much needed win when you can see a possible gloomy event further on down the track .

We beat West Ham ... okay so they aren't up to much at the moment but I'll tell you something for nothing their fans would have been ecstatic if they'd beaten us .

What concerns me is the 60 minutes of dross. We do that against better teams then we will pay. When I see a committed and flowing team effort I will celebrate

Post #506810  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:43 am 

kiwipete wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
If we had those players instead of the current bunch of snowflakes then nobody would even consider a sports psychologist.

Unless, of course, they were accepting of modern successful practice and not rooted in a sepia tinted past. :12hello-bye:

:laughing7: ' Mama Mia ' ..... hark at this geriatric old faggot trying to appear all modern and avant - garde .

Why not get rid of the bloody " snowflakes " instead of catering for their needs ....... ?

Dash. I was hoping to fool you into thinking that I was hip and cool. :1laughter:

Post #506811  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:28 am 

Not a single yellow card for us last night makes a change.
Xhaka, Guendouzi, Sokratis and chambers are all 1 card away from a suspension

Post #506812  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:29 am 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:
Chambers and Torriera may not be the answer at CB and holding mid but at least it is putting round pegs in round holes and picking two players who have natural defensive attributes. No dribbling out of defence, no long range passing just defend and give it to someone responsible for the attack. Small steps

Both deserve to stay in the team in those positions

Yes, agree.
Think one or both of Özil and Xhaka to be "rested". AMN too. The rest to keep their starting places.

Don’t think we can rest AMN, with Bellerin injured and chambers at CB AMN will have to play.

Post #506813  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:19 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
A tactic I've rarely, if ever, seen employed in football but I have seen it as a strategy in basketball is a quick throw in catching the opposition either unawares, unfocused or disorganized.

Never really understand why I've never recalled seeing it.

Venereal disease, old age, drink, etc. Possibly even all of the above. There are many reasons for fading recall.

Post #506814  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:33 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

What concerns me is the 60 minutes of dross. We do that against better teams then we will pay. When I see a committed and flowing team effort I will celebrate

I share your concerns. But hopefully both the players and especially management will be feeling confident and will actually believe they can get results against City, United, and Chelsea, etc at home. That first win was massive.

Liege, Everton and Bournmouth away .. could be a lot worse.

Provided the usual injury curse doesn't strike, we could get a little bit of momentum.

Post #506815  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:54 am 

Replace Özil with Willock. Replace Xhaka with Guendozi. And we will have a more mobile fighting unit. It will also strengthen our defensive play when we lose the ball.

Post #506816  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:06 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Replace Özil with Willock. Replace Xhaka with Guendozi. And we will have a more mobile fighting unit. It will also strengthen our defensive play when we lose the ball.

Absolutely not. Özil should be playing . The second half he was excellent. Finding space putting balls through. Willock is nowhere near good enough to replace him. I also thought Xhaka played quite well.

Post #506817  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:24 pm 

So that's what a win feels like. Rather nice.

Hope the injury to Tierney isn't serious.

Post #506818  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:36 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Absolutely not. Özil should be playing . The second half he was excellent. Finding space putting balls through. Willock is nowhere near good enough to replace him. I also thought Xhaka played quite well.

Ok, I might not have noticed Özil as closely in the second half. But Xhaka was misplacing passes a lot in the second.

Post #506819  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:59 pm 

We are off to one of our worst starts in the league in years but it doesn't feel like it to me. Yes, its bad but we have been mediocre for several years now.

Post #506820  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:13 pm 

Paulo Sousa.....

Attachments:

Post #506821  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:10 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Ok, I might not have noticed Özil as closely in the second half. But Xhaka was misplacing passes a lot in the second.

Hi g7,

Xhaka has certainly perfected the art of the misplaced crossfield pass that not only goes straight to an opponent but sets them off on a dangerous counter-attack. I have literally lost count of the number of times he has done it since he's been here :laughing7:

Post #506822  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:12 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Yeh, when he wasn't misplacing passes or ducking out of headers he was quite good.

Post #506823  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:14 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I don't think we can afford to have Özil in our team, Gun. He's a stroller who no longer does enough offensively to offset the defensive issues he brings.

Post #506824  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:25 pm 

socrates wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I don't think we can afford to have Özil in our team, Gun. He's a stroller who no longer does enough offensively to offset the defensive issues he brings.

Don't agree at all. His vision to pick out a pass and his appreciation of where everyone is is second to none. He was never great defensively even on his best day.l

Post #506825  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:21 pm 

socrates wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Yeh, when he wasn't misplacing passes or ducking out of headers he was quite good.

Be fair to the fella, Soc. It's perfectly understandable for him to duck out of headers. Look what happened to him last night when the ball hit him in the head. He was seeing double (although he didn't seem to see any West Ham players)

Post #506826  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:40 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

Don't agree at all. His vision to pick out a pass and his appreciation of where everyone is is second to none. He was never great defensively even on his best day.l

Unfortunately I agree. Özil was terrible in the first half yesterday but would Willock or Guendouzi have played those weighted passes in the final 3rd in the build up to the 2nd and 3rd goals ? I doubt it as they are more about energy. I just don’t think anyone else can offer us the ability to connect our midfield to attack.

It’s as frustrating as hell because he’s going through the motions most of the time but until we sign a more creative midfielder with more incisive passing he has to play because there’s nobody else.

Post #506827  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:22 pm 

One of the more bizarre decisions emery made (and Ljungberg for 2 games) was not to have Pépé as a permanent fixture in the starting 11. He needs time to get up to speed with the league, the tactics and team mates but he’s still miles better than anything else we have and a threat every time he plays.

He was basically in the team up to those two match winning gun free kicks, where you would have thought he’d gain his confidence and be rating to go - then dropped

Post #506828  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
One of the more bizarre decisions emery made (and Ljungberg for 2 games) was not to have Pépé as a permanent fixture in the starting 11. He needs time to get up to speed with the league, the tactics and team mates but he’s still miles better than anything else we have and a threat every time he plays.

He was basically in the team up to those two match winning gun free kicks, where you would have thought he’d gain his confidence and be rating to go - then dropped

Yes it’s the worst decision made this season.

He’s pretty much our only creative outlet outside of the strikers with the absence of decent midfielders

Post #506829  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:08 pm 

Decaf wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Was thinking the same. We don't need an ologist we need a Psycho...................................

Was thinking that Peter Storey certainly could have used a shrink ...

Maybe but his two goals against Stoke when we were two down in the 1970 FA Cup Semi Final were priceless. Keeping his cool taking a penalty against the best goalie in the world after Frank's header was handled on the line.....brilliant stuff. Kept the double alive. Nice one Snouty.

Post #506830  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:46 pm 

Like the look of Hwang Hee-Chan from Salzburg. Pace, tricky, direct, runs all day.
6 goals and 7 assists in 14 bundesliga games. Has the profile of versatile quick forward I like.

Post #506831  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:52 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Greeny wrote:
Yeah, I went through the list and thought exactly the same

Not to mention Kiwi himself :laughing7: :laughing7:

:icon_mrgreen: I'd be keen if it was the same bird who was checking Tony Soprano .

Lorraine Bracco

Post #506832  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:10 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Dash. I was hoping to fool you into thinking that I was hip and cool. :1laughter:

Arriving at club on the mobilty scooter clutching the "Rex Hartwig" wooden racquet , coughing up the false teeth on court ..... probably goes a long way to destroying that image

Post #506833  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:13 pm 

Nketiah on the bench again for Leeds tonight. We need to recall him and send him to a club that are going to start him every week

Post #506834  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:55 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

True .... but life is a confidence thing .

Maybe it's a blessing the first chance fell to Martinelli ... he not being infected by the first teams multiple diasasters of late and that released the shackles of doubt .

Unless we go on a giant unbeaten run I'd be disappointed if Fred was appointed full time .

I find he is a bit too " tra la la la saccharine Gooey " if you get my drift ...

I like managers to be a bit more down to earth with a slight abrasive edge .

Post #506835  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:07 pm 

Rich wrote:
Nketiah on the bench again for Leeds tonight. We need to recall him and send him to a club that are going to start him every week

It is frustrating

What’s even more crazy is the amount of goals he’s scored coming off the bench and yet they still haven’t bothered starting him for a full 90

We should drag him out of there

Post #506836  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:15 pm 

Looks like there will be some good teams dropping in to the Europa, Dortmund, benfica, Ajax- but none of the really big sides.

Man U will be our biggest competition in the Europa i think, hopefully by the time the knock out rounds come (and assuming we don’t lose 5-0 on Thursday) we’ll have improved our form.

Post #506837  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
Like the look of Hwang Hee-Chan from Salzburg. Pace, tricky, direct, runs all day.
6 goals and 7 assists in 14 bundesliga games. Has the profile of versatile quick forward I like.

How about this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ntamS59EY

Post #506838  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

It is frustrating

What’s even more crazy is the amount of goals he’s scored coming off the bench and yet they still haven’t bothered starting him for a full 90

We should drag him out of there

He can be our supersub next season.

Post #506839  Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:38 pm 

Napoli sack Ancelotti despite Champions League progress

Arsenal want to speak to former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti over vacant manager's job after his Napoli sacking with Everton also interested in Italian

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... s-job.html

Post #506840  Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:17 am 

warrior wrote:
Napoli sack Ancelotti despite Champions League progress

Arsenal want to speak to former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti over vacant manager's job after his Napoli sacking with Everton also interested in Italian

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... s-job.html

That's another possibility added to the numerous hopefulls. Maybe Pellegrini will join them shortly. What an Xmas shopping list for Arsenal, Everton, MU to have.
:1laughter:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12668, 12669, 12670, 12671, 12672, 12673, 12674 ... 14269  Next