Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 103 guests

Post #548561  Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Jesus, Raphinha, Martinez….plus Vieira, Turner and it’s easy to forget Saliba - little hype now but of we’d just bought him for £27m after the season he’d had at Marseille being voted young player of the year in France and in the French team of the season and just been capped - everyone would be very excited.

Those 6 would cost about £160m before any outgoings.

To compare to Spurs(as we need to) they’ve bought Perisic, Foster, Bissouma and will have to pay to make the Romero and Kulesevski deals permanent. So they’ve spent £100m to add just the first 3 in that list

As I understand it Spurs don't have to pay for Kulusevski until next summer. Romero I'm not sure.

Post #548562  Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:27 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Jesus deal seems like a 9/10 certainty at the moment.

The only thing that puzzles me a little bit is that it looks like we might not go for an outright central midfielder. Martinez can play there, and the club might see Vieira as an option in the no 8 role, but I would've liked to see a top, top player come in for that position. Our record with and without Partey speaks for itself, when we can control the midfield we're at another level.

I think this is a concern. At Newcastle our midfield 2 were overpowered and outplayed. Even after the summers transfer prospective activity right now it looks we will have the same players Partey, xhaka and Lokonga there. Not sure this helps us

Post #548563  Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
I wouldn’t give up on Tielemans yet. I think Arsenal are playing hard ball on that to knock down the price as much as possible towards the end of the window. 1 year left on his deal, Leicester can’t afford to lose him for free next year

Yeah, I'm not giving up yet. Might just be that it's an easier deal to make, with less competition, so we're focusing on the bigger deals first. If we really want Tielemans I think we'll get him. That being said, I'm not sure he's in that 'top' category I was talking about either, though he does have some interesting qualities that we lack.

Post #548564  Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:58 pm 

Both Ornstein and Fabrizio Romano are now saying full agreement between City and Arsenal for Gabriel Jesus, £45m.

Post #548565  Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:28 pm 

Darren wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Not on the Arsenal official website.

Are you on dial-up?? It got announced on the official site about 4 days ago! He's got the number 21. It's still on the front page.

Maybe mine didn't refresh because until I posted that was the first day it came up. But as for internet, our neighbourhood did not get the same system (NBN) as other parts of Australia and it is really poor with dropouts regular and slow speeds.

Post #548566  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:19 am 

Bored wrote:
A little video of Gabriel Jesus goals and skills. Clearly not an average player and I think he could easily go up another level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiZXpyjZvwc

I'm hugely impressed with his ability to time his jumps to head in so powerfully.
Fantastic mobility to get free of defenders.
Definite a 1000% better than Pépé's dribbling. Stays on his feet well.

Get him!

Post #548567  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:03 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Darren wrote:
Are you on dial-up?? It got announced on the official site about 4 days ago! He's got the number 21. It's still on the front page.

Maybe mine didn't refresh because until I posted that was the first day it came up. But as for internet, our neighbourhood did not get the same system (NBN) as other parts of Australia and it is really poor with dropouts regular and slow speeds.

Vieira’s signing was formally confirmed on Arsenal.com last Tuesday, the 21st June 2022. Although I’ve never looked at it, apparently the transfer was also confirmed on Arsenal Direct, another official site for selling shirts and merchandise, the very same day.

Post #548568  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Vieira’s signing was formally confirmed on Arsenal.com last Tuesday, the 21st June 2022. Although I’ve never looked at it, apparently the transfer was also confirmed on Arsenal Direct, another official site for selling shirts and merchandise, the very same day.

Thanks - missed it . Checked Arsenal.com a couple of times but maybe it was an open tab and I didn't refresh it.

Post #548569  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:04 am 

Never knew Rapinha and Gabriel started their careers at the same club at 18. Now both in the national squad together with Martinelli. That’s gotta have a pull along with Edu.

Post #548570  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:14 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Jesus deal seems like a 9/10 certainty at the moment.

Several sources reporting it's close to being done for around £45m - very good fee. Turned 25 not long ago, six seasons of PL experience, Brazilian international.

The only thing that puzzles me a little bit is that it looks like we might not go for an outright central midfielder. Martinez can play there, and the club might see Vieira as an option in the no 8 role, but I would've liked to see a top, top player come in for that position. Our record with and without Partey speaks for itself, when we can control the midfield we're at another level.

Still, if we get Jesus, Raphinha and Martinez over the line I certainly wouldn't complain, that would be an excellent window.

Hi Haz,

Totally agree, Haz, in the unlikely event that we do get Jesus, Raphina and Martinez over the line you would have to say its a real statement of intent. However, so many games in the PL, especially away from home, are dictated by who wins the midfield battle and generally that involves a large degree of physicality and athleticism. Without Partey I don't feel we are well equipped to win those battles, as the Newcastle game showed and also the fact that we lost 13 games last season.

Post #548571  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:24 am 

It feels like we had two choices this summer, try and sign an out and out no.9 who could get 20+ goals a season (not many around and even fewer available to a side without CL football) with a massive cash outlay or sign two or more top forwards/wingers who are not really no.9s but can each get a decent number of goals and thus spread the goals around the side.

Jesus, should be get him, feels like a compromise. He might well explode as a no.9 but more likely he will score say 15 goals and hence the desire to add someone else like Raphina to add more goals to the equation.

Post #548572  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:27 am 

If/when the Jesus deal goes through he’ll be just the second player Arteta has signed for the front 3 positions and the first one we’ve actually paid a transfer fee for.

Turner, Vieira, Jesus, Raphinha, Martinez would be a tremendous summer

For me that would just leave 3 areas of the squad to make it feel like a truly elite level squad
1. Additional physicality and athleticism in central midfield
2. Additional physicality and height at centre forward
3. A better right back back up than Cédric

We’ve certainly splashed the cash last summer and look like doing the same this summer. We’ve transformed the quality of the squad. Shows you what can be achieved with money and we’re still miles off what the likes of City, Chelsea and Man U have spent on their squads

Post #548573  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:32 am 

Just looking at schedules for Europa League and EPL in October and November.

I know the EPL will be fiddled with but assume they are the same date as listed we will have

October
2 Spurs
6 Europa
9 Liverpool
13 Europa
16 Leeds
19 Man City
23 Southampton
27 Europa
30 Notts forest

Novemeber
3 Europa
6 Chelsea
13 Wolves

Interesting times ahead.

Post #548574  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:41 am 

Rich wrote:
If/when the Jesus deal goes through he’ll be just the second player Arteta has signed for the front 3 positions and the first one we’ve actually paid a transfer fee for.

For me that would just leave 3 areas of the squad to make it feel like a truly elite level squad

We’ve certainly splashed the cash last summer and look like doing the same this summer. We’ve transformed the quality of the squad. Shows you what can be achieved with money and we’re still miles off what the likes of City, Chelsea and Man U have spent on their squads

Any further news on Zinchenko and Hickey?

Post #548575  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:59 am 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Several sources reporting it's close to being done for around £45m - very good fee. Turned 25 not long ago, six seasons of PL experience, Brazilian international.

The only thing that puzzles me a little bit is that it looks like we might not go for an outright central midfielder. Martinez can play there, and the club might see Vieira as an option in the no 8 role, but I would've liked to see a top, top player come in for that position. Our record with and without Partey speaks for itself, when we can control the midfield we're at another as level.

Still, if we get Jesus, Raphinha and Martinez over the line I certainly wouldn't complain, that would be an excellent window.

Hi Haz,

Totally agree, Haz, in the unlikely event that we do get Jesus, Raphina and Martinez over the line you would have to say its a real statement of intent. However, so many games in the PL, especially away from home, are dictated by who wins the midfield battle and generally that involves a large degree of physicality and athleticism. Without Partey I don't feel we are well equipped to win those battles, as the Newcastle game showed and also the fact that we lost 13 games last season.

Morning socrates. If Jesus, Raphina and Martinez are the only arrivals still to come, doesn’t it mean Arteta must feel deeper midfield is already strong enough with Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga and Elneny? Perhaps Maitland-Niles can be added to the mix too? Or at least strong enough to prioritise other parts of the side?

If the list of aforementioned possible arrivals are the case, we spent an absolute fortune in the transfer market in the last couple of years or so. I find it hard to believe the money hasn’t been spent on those positions that Arteta wanted prioritised and the players he desired? For example, why did we sign Vieira, a creative skilful talent, and not go for Bissouma? After months of clickbait linking us with Bissouma, we apparently leave Tottenham to sign him dirt cheap without even being turned down after going for him.

If the reports of us going off the idea of buying Tielemans are true, which I accept may not be, why is that? I am quite certain that the players Edu signs are those guys Arteta wants and approves us recruiting. I reckon the days of Sanllehi buying Pépé when Emery wanted Zaha are long gone.

I’ve said before it’s probably best to sit back and wait until the transfer window expires (11pm 1st September) to assess the strength of the squad. If our options in deep midfield are Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga and Elneny (possibly Maitland-Niles also) while we spend big bucks on other areas of the team, then I believe the most rational conclusion to draw is that Arteta is comfortable with those four or five options for deep midfield.

Post #548576  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:01 am 

john1 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Any further news on Zinchenko and Hickey?

Both have gone very quiet

Post #548577  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:04 am 

Jesus would be the 12th Brazilian to play for us in the Prem. can anyone name the other 11 without google?

Post #548578  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:11 am 

Rich wrote:
Jesus would be the 12th Brazilian to play for us in the Prem. can anyone name the other 11 without google?

Martinelli, Willian, Gabriel, Gilberto, Edu, Baptista, Sylvinho, David Luiz, Andre Santos, Gabriel Paulista...blanking on the last one.

Post #548579  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
I’ve said before it’s probably best to sit back and wait until the transfer window expires (11pm 1st September) to assess the strength of the squad. If our options in deep midfield are Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga and Elneny (possibly Maitland-Niles also) while we spend big bucks on other areas of the team, then I believe the most rational conclusion to draw is that Arteta is comfortable with those four or five options for deep midfield.

I largely agree with this, but I think it should be noted that Martinez is a genuine option in central midfield. He's not just a centre back who can do a job in midfield, he spent the majority of the 19/20 season at Ajax as a DM before being moved to CB which then became his primary position.

Post #548580  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:23 am 

Rich wrote:

Martinelli, Edu, Gilberto, Gabriel, David Luiz, Willian, the other Gabriel, Wellington (I think), Andre Santos.... that's 9, now I'm stuck.

Ah, Haz - how could I forget Silvinho and the Beast.

Post #548581  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:26 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Martinelli, Edu, Gilberto, Gabriel, David Luiz, Willian, the other Gabriel, Wellington (I think), Andre Santos.... that's 9, now I'm stuck.

Denilson?

Post #548582  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:27 am 

john1 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Denilson?

Of course.

Post #548583  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:30 am 

Rich wrote:

Saka isn't but he plays like one.

Post #548584  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:31 am 

Seems we are meeting a lof of our transfer goals. If we get most if not all our targets, that will obviously raise the expectations for the squad. If we get all our targets save 1, whomever that 1 is, what place is the minimum for us to finish?

Post #548585  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:46 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

Martinelli, Willian, Gabriel, Gilberto, Edu, Baptista, Sylvinho, David Luiz, Andre Santos, Gabriel Paulista...blanking on the last one.

Good work on getting 10 straight off the bat....

Post #548586  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:47 am 

john1 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Denilson?

....and Denilson makes it 11

Post #548587  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:51 am 

Bernard wrote:

I’ve said before it’s probably best to sit back and wait until the transfer window expires (11pm 1st September) to assess the strength of the squad.

We kick off on the 5th of August. I think we should all transfers in place by then. Too often we engage in last minute dashes after we have lost a few of the opening games and end up on the back foot for the season.

Post #548588  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:06 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I’ve said before it’s probably best to sit back and wait until the transfer window expires (11pm 1st September) to assess the strength of the squad.

We kick off on the 5th of August. I think we should all transfers in place by then. Too often we engage in last minute dashes after we have lost a few of the opening games and end up on the back foot for the season.

I certainly wouldn’t argue with that. It’s just after the window closes, we finally know what we’ve got to work with until the mid-season window.

Post #548589  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:36 pm 

England is better than Spain and Netherlands? Ok

Attachments:

Post #548590  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:39 pm 

Rich wrote:

While I am thinking of Brazilians and I can only think of maybe a handful, would Eduardo count?

Post #548591  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:45 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
England is better than Spain and Netherlands? Ok

Well, yes. Quite clearly so at the moment.

Post #548592  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:52 pm 

Good riddance. Was he pushed?

https://theathletic.com/news/mike-riley ... Cl22WBSZk/

Post #548593  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:02 pm 

99 starts in the Premier League

CF: 78 starts, 40 goals, 14 assists
RW: 15 starts, 9 goals, 8 assists
LW: 6 starts, 4 goals, 1 assist

A player with those stats, who has won 4 titles and is still only 25 is very good and would normally be worth double what we’re paying

Post #548594  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:34 pm 

Rich wrote:

A player with those stats, who has won 4 titles and is still only 25 is very good and would normally be worth double what we’re paying

Why do you think Guardiola’s getting rid of him then? Okay he’s getting a huge pay rise at Arsenal, but the idea City can’t match, let alone exceed, what Arsenal will pay him opens up the possibility Guardiola doesn’t feel he’s worth well over £200k a week.

City have bought Haaland but Jesus was a squad back up to Aguero, so why not Haaland too?

If you think City are selling him cheap, doesn’t that support the idea Guardiola wants rid, or at least doesn’t give a damn about his departure? After all, I very much doubt City are being charitable to Arsenal by selling him cheaply.

Furthermore he’s scored 58 Premier League goals for City in total. So only 5 goals have come when in the 58 appearances he hasn’t started?

Post #548595  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:43 pm 

Rich wrote:

Didn’t know that.

He’s 1 in every 2 starts at CF in the premier league. That’s wrighty and aubameyang type stats. That’s very good

Post #548596  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Why do you think Guardiola’s getting rid of him then? Okay he’s getting a huge pay rise at Arsenal, but the idea City can’t match, let alone exceed, what Arsenal will pay him opens up the possibility Guardiola doesn’t feel he’s worth well over £200k a week.

Jesus is reportedly the one pushing for a move, as he wants to be a starter. He only has one year left on his contract, so they either sell him now for £45m or lose him for free in a year. With Haaland and Julian Alvarez arriving, they don't really need Jesus. Not being a nailed on starter for City isn't necessarily a sign that a player isn't quality, players like Sterling, Bernardo Silva, Grealish and Mahrez have had long periods of being rotational players.

Post #548597  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:14 pm 

Rich wrote:
Juan - who could forget that young lad! Edit - he only played in cups.

Post #548598  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:06 pm 

Raphinha feels like the least talked about of our three signings that look the most likely. It's probably because we already have good options for his position, but I'm really excited about the prospect of signing him. 25 years old, with several years of experience from the PL, Ligue 1 and Portugese league, he's at that age where he could be an immediate improvement, but still have several good years left in him.

He has an interesting set of qualities too; pacey, great dribbler, very direct and with good end product, but also good defensively for a winger, a tireless worker, and very good in the press. He will cost a lot, but if the club can afford it I don't really care. The way he's been playing for Leeds in the last two years, it's hard not to see him as an immediate improvement on Pépé.

Post #548599  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:39 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:
Juan - who could forget that young lad! Edit - he only played in cups.

Good point! And, amazingly, seven years after his only two appearances for Arsenal, Juan made it into the Brazilian national team.

Post #548600  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:31 am 

The 14th amendment:
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

has been used to rule on cases making abortion legal as well as gay marriage legal. The recent ruling led by Justice Clarence Thomas led the unprecedented act of the court to reverse a previous ruling arbitrarily. It's a stunning act. Something no court has attempted. Chief Justice Roberts, who would personally like to see legal abortion end, was not only completely against taking such actions but voted with the minority against the act. Why? He valued the legitimacy of the court more than his personal views. The Supreme Court, the last real bastion of fairness now has an approval rating lower than Biden, 25%, and has seemingly lost its legitimacy.

Justice Thomas has not only written an opinion supporting ending abortion but also took the extreme and also completely unprecedented act of hinting at ending other rulings that legalized gay marriage citing the 14th amendment.

What makes his comments particularly hypocritical is that the same 14th amendment was used to end, or more precisely, make illegal, a case where the state of Virginia (similar to other former slave states) outlawed interracial marriage. Thomas, a black justice is married to a white woman. His marriage could and should be made illegal by the same reason(s) [14th amendment] if he was consistent.

I've long said America is no longer a functioning republic. All of its federal institutions have ceased to have any legitimacy. My guess? America will be balkanized eventually the way the far right envisions it to become. Have its own version of Iraq where it operates like Kurdistan. Technically part of the country but in reality runs its own area any way it deems fit. They no longer have the numbers and are losing numbers. On the other side, the Democrats are completely incompetent, corporate owned and have neither the will to fight and seemingly the intellect. Parts of its base are either voting more and more for Republicans (Asians, Latinos, some Gays) or not voting at all (Blacks). We will likely see a functioning 3rd (or even 4th party). Possibly the Green party.

When the dollar is no longer the world's reserve currency and the country suffers a massive economic crash that is now regarded as a matter of when not if, the veneer will be gone and America will be exposed fully as facade. The empire (as opposed to emperor) will truly have no clothes.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13712, 13713, 13714, 13715, 13716, 13717, 13718 ... 14269  Next