Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 110 guests

Post #522321  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:39 pm 

As I can't watch as much football as I'd want I always enjoy and put some weight to these useful stat heavy graphs.
This is a graph for La Liga's most progressive passers. X axis is number of passes in to the penalty area per 90 minutes and the Y axis is passes in to the final third per 90 minutes.

So players in the top left create a lot of good chances, players in the bottom right progress the ball well (typically deeper midfield players). The very best at both find themselves in the top right of the graph where we find Messi and interestingly Ødegaard pretty much out on their own.

Also nice to see Cazorla standing out there as well.

Attachments:

Post #522322  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:00 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Zed wrote:
Frank Lampard to be sacked. Enjoy yourself Thomas Tuchel.

Bad news. Tuchel could do something with them.

Hi Gunfire,
I was being a little facetious. Tuchel no doubt knows what he's getting himself into. He'll need to throw all he's got to make it work. Added to the totem pole of managers.

Post #522323  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
As I can't watch as much football as I'd want I always enjoy and put some weight to these useful stat heavy graphs.
This is a graph for La Liga's most progressive passers. X axis is number of passes in to the penalty area per 90 minutes and the Y axis is passes in to the final third per 90 minutes.

So players in the top left create a lot of good chances, players in the bottom right progress the ball well (typically deeper midfield players). The very best at both find themselves in the top right of the graph where we find Messi and interestingly Ødegaard pretty much out on their own.

He's also still so young, these numbers will only get better. I see zero, absolutely zero chance of us signing him permanently at the end of the season. Another loan if Real still want to wait, maybe, but other than that, I'd bet whatever you like on this being 6 months and done.

Post #522324  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:20 pm 

Most bizarre thing about that graph is Joaquin up there to the left, incredible he's still going.

Post #522325  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:40 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:
If we manage to pay off Mustafi that’d be a massive positive. He can’t leave soon enough the useless cart horse.

You must think Wenger was a right prat, being it was him that paid £35m for him?

The signings Wenger made that summer of 2016 ultimately cost him his job.

Signings 3 such absolute turkeys was always going to be the end of him

Post #522326  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:23 pm 

I know Tottenham have this whole idea of not playing football much and just have Kane and Son win games for them, but they have 30% possession tonight against Wycombe Wanderers - a team that's currently dead last in the Championship.

Post #522327  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:31 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
I know Tottenham have this whole idea of not playing football much and just have Kane and Son win games for them, but they have 30% possession tonight against Wycombe Wanderers - a team that's currently dead last in the Championship.

That would be funny if only it were true.

Current stats (at 86 mins) shows Tottenham as having 72% possession.

And as I type that I see that they’ve just scored.

And again as well...

Post #522328  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:37 pm 

....and again. 4-1 now. Possession up to 73%.

Wish that I hadn’t turned on for the last 10 minutes.

Post #522329  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

That would be funny if only it were true.

Current stats (at 86 mins) shows Tottenham as having 72% possession.

Wasn't watching the game, just looked at the stats which was at 70-30 in favor of Wycombe after like 75 minutes! The fact that it was actually likely says a lot about Mourinho though.

Post #522330  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:36 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

He's also still so young, these numbers will only get better. I see zero, absolutely zero chance of us signing him permanently at the end of the season. Another loan if Real still want to wait, maybe, but other than that, I'd bet whatever you like on this being 6 months and done.

If it was any club other than Real Madrid I’d agree 100%. However because it’s Madrid they have a history of being impatient and always wanting the marquee signing and with that ditching promising players who are right under their noses

Post #522331  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:47 am 

Rich wrote:
Sokratis has signed for Olympiacos. We might meet him in the Europa league

Wish him nothing but the best. I like him. Very driven player who would bust a gut for the team. Unlike some .............. (no names mentioned, his name, W....., has been mentioned too often.

Post #522332  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:49 am 

Zed wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Bad news. Tuchel could do something with them.

Hi Gunfire,
I was being a little facetious. Tuchel no doubt knows what he's getting himself into. He'll need to throw all he's got to make it work. Added to the totem pole of managers.

Let's hope he wants Willian back in Chelsea

Post #522333  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:50 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
You must think Wenger was a right prat, being it was him that paid £35m for him?

Penny wise, pound foolish signings. Missed the forest for the trees.

Post #522334  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Xhaka looked okay to start with. One forum member even said:

'Xhaka looks a very good signing. His left foot is an absolute wand and he was taking the ball off our back four and distributing it brilliantly.'

I wonder who that was.

Post #522335  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:50 am 

Rich wrote:
If it was any club other than Real Madrid I’d agree 100%. However because it’s Madrid they have a history of being impatient and always wanting the marquee signing and with that ditching promising players who are right under their noses

Real Madrid considers themselves more than a football club they (and some will argue it is is so), see themselves bigger than the sport, iconic. And therefore has become a marketing enterprise as well as a club. They bought Becks purely to sell shirts. They want their stars to 'move merch' (merchandise) as we say in the states.

So, if they can make a young player a household name when he makes it to the first team, fine. If they have someone else who can do the same function but sells shirts, I'm inclined to be cynical enough to think they would sell that young player who doesn't move shirts if they can get a good price.

Maybe I'm too cynical. Maybe its not so, but its what I think I have seen over the years when I became a fan. The Dallas Cowboys were (are) like that. They were nicknamed "America's team" (not sure if its still apt). Great marketing for a team in a country where nationalism is so strong, Goebbels coiuld learn a thing or two.

Post #522336  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:04 am 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Penny wise, pound foolish signings. Missed the forest for the trees.

Mustafi and Xhaka were not cheap. We narrowly missed out out Vardy in that window too.

Post #522337  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:34 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

'Xhaka looks a very good signing. His left foot is an absolute wand and he was taking the ball off our back four and distributing it brilliantly.'

I wonder who that was.

After one game. After 5 everyone realised he was actually diabolical which is the dilemma of the myth of the player overall. In fact after 5 I think he had already been dropped

Post #522338  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

I wonder who that was.

After one game. After 5 everyone realised he was actually diabolical which is the dilemma of the myth of the player overall. In fact after 5 I think he had already been dropped

Xhaka played in 32 out of 38 Premier League games that season. Moreover he was sent off in two of them, which accounted for some of the games he missed (I presume two at least, perhaps four, or maybe even all six depending on the ban he got for each case).

To be fair I think the most you can say is that “everyone realised he was actually diabolical” except Wenger.

Post #522339  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:51 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Xhaka played in 32 out of 38 Premier League games that season. Moreover he was sent off in two of them, which accounted for some of the games he missed (I presume two at least, perhaps four, or maybe even all six depending on the ban he got for each case).

To be fair I think the most you can say is that “everyone realised he was actually diabolical” except Wenger.

I think that he flatters to deceive. There are some games where he looks like a class act. Those are the games where his deficiencies aren’t exposed. Truly a frustrating player.

Post #522340  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:58 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think that he flatters to deceive. There are some games where he looks like a class act. Those are the games where his deficiencies aren’t exposed. Truly a frustrating player.

every 5 or 6 games a performance will occur where he does reasonably well and we win and everyone seems to forget his bad games. That paired with him lamping a 30 yarder in once every 3 seasons it keeps alive the myth that he should be playing anywhere near a club like arsenal

Post #522341  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:03 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No i think even wenger remember by October he had been dropped I recall so when he was recalled against forest and scored a 30 yarder he gave it to the fans by giving a "talking hand" Celebration. Even early doors there were issues.

We've had to play him out of necessity really. He's all we've got type thing.

Post #522342  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:08 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I’m not saying how good or bad he is myself. I just don’t think it’s right to say “everyone realised he was actually diabolical” after five games. If Wenger thought that, dare I suggest he wouldn’t have kept picking him.

Post #522343  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:25 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Just looked it up, Xhaka missed 5 prem games through suspension in his first season and was on the bench for a home game v Southampton in the 4th game of the season. He started every other Prem match

Post #522344  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:26 am 

Aubameyang, Mari and Ceballos all definitely out for tonight. Most worryingly Tierney is being assessed and may miss the match. I'd go from a 6/10 level of confidence down to a 3/10 level of confidence if Tierney is missing.

Post #522345  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:31 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Just looked it up, Xhaka missed 5 prem games through suspension in his first season and was on the bench for a home game v Southampton in the 4th game of the season. He started every other Prem match

Really. they must have took him out the team for saints and a series of cup games or something. remember his talking cupped hand type celebration

Post #522346  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

No i think even wenger remember by October he had been dropped I recall so when he was recalled against forest and scored a 30 yarder he gave it to the fans by giving a "talking hand" Celebration. Even early doors there were issues.

Our midfielders that season were Xhaka himself, Özil (who was also a regular starter in those days), Cazorla, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Iwobi, Wilshere, Coquelin and Reine Adelaide. I’d say those nine (or eight if you want to exclude Reine Adelaide as he didn’t play a single Premiership game that season) gave Wenger plenty of opportunity to not keep picking him.

Post #522347  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:37 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

If you get banned for either one or three games for each sending off, maybe he missed at least one for sufficient bookings?

Post #522348  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:37 am 

For me Xhakas biggest flaw will always be his lack of speed and mobility, which is a clear limitation playing in those compact midfield areas. He's got other qualities that still makes him a very good player though, he's positionally sound and a great passer - he sometimes gets accused of only playing it safe, but the stats below shows he makes more progressive passes per 90 minutes than almost every midfielder in the league.

All in all he's comfortably the best midfielder we have behind Partey who looks to be in a league of his own, but I would also say it's an area where we should look to strengthen in the summer. If we can get someone in who can compete with or even displace Xhaka, our midfield would become a real area of strength.

Post #522349  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Our midfielders that season were Xhaka himself, Özil (who was also a regular starter in those days), Cazorla, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Iwobi, Wilshere, Coquelin and Reine Adelaide. I’d say those nine (or eight if you want to exclude Reine Adelaide as he didn’t play a single Premiership game that season) gave Wenger plenty of opportunity to not keep picking him.

Look at that list of midfielders !

Would swap our current lot for that in a heartbeat.

Arteta out, Clearly his fault

Post #522350  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:48 am 

Hazuki wrote:
For me Xhakas biggest flaw will always be his lack of speed and mobility, which is a clear limitation playing in those compact midfield areas. He's got other qualities that still makes him a very good player though, he's positionally sound and a great passer - he sometimes gets accused of only playing it safe, but the stats below shows he makes more progressive passes per 90 minutes than almost every midfielder in the league.

All in all he's comfortably the best midfielder we have behind Partey who looks to be in a league of his own, but I would also say it's an area where we should look to strengthen in the summer. If we can get someone in who can compete with or even displace Xhaka, our midfield would become a real area of strength.

Interesting stat. What counts as a progressive action because i only ever see Xhaka making 2 passes

Pass 1= Xhaka takes the ball off tierney/left back in close proximity and makes a 5 yard pass to Gabriel sideways

Pass 2= Xhaka is on the right flank and hits a cross field hollywood ball with his instep that lands with his left back.

thats it. ... nearly every game...............forever. for the rest of our lives

Post #522351  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:58 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Interesting stat. What counts as a progressive action because i only ever see Xhaka making 2 passes

From the website that guy pulled his stats from:

"Completed passes that move the ball towards the opponent's goal at least 10 yards from its furthest point in the last six passes, or any completed pass into the penalty area. Excludes passes from the defending 40% of the pitch"

Post #522352  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:28 pm 

Xhaka is our midfield iteration of Mustafi, a brain fart away from the next calamity, pick them both you have the perfect storm.

Post #522353  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:59 pm 

(Talking to mysel)...c'mon AG, fight the urge not to type a comment on Mustafi)

Attachments:
fighturge.jpg
fighturge.jpg [ 28.47 KB | Viewed 5769 times ]

Post #522354  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:07 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Xhaka is our midfield iteration of Mustafi, a brain fart away from the next calamity, pick them both you have the perfect storm.

To be fair to him though, I think he has cut that out of his game to a big extent. I can't remember many mistakes that lead to a goal or good scoring chance from the past two seasons or so at least.

Unfortunately Elneny seems to have picked up that mantle instead, there's been a fair number of occasions this season where he's put the team in trouble...

Post #522355  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:24 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:

To be fair to him though, I think he has cut that out of his game to a big extent. I can't remember many mistakes that lead to a goal or good scoring chance from the past two seasons or so at least.

Really ? He’s been shocking mate, cost us the game at Burnley. Terrible performances especially away at spurs. Abysmal.

Post #522356  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

If you get banned for either one or three games for each sending off, maybe he missed at least one for sufficient bookings?

He got 2 x 3 game bans for his two red cards but served 1 game of the first 3 match ban in a cup game, so missed 5 league games through suspension

Post #522357  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

He got 2 x 3 game bans for his two red cards but served 1 game of the first 3 match ban in a cup game, so missed 5 league games through suspension

Thanks.

Post #522358  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:18 pm 

Tierney misses out, Cédric at left back.

Pépé in for Aubameyang. Huge chance for Pépé as he’s playing with 5 midfielders and forwards who are first choice and playing well. Can he perform up to their level?

Post #522359  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:23 pm 

We'll see if this loan comes to fruition.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55784051

Post #522360  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:48 pm 

We should go for another left back in the summer. Cédric, Maitland-Niles and Saka can all play there, but Saka is wasted at the back, and the other two are right footed which means they will never provide the level of crossing Tierney does. Tyrick Mitchell is available on a free since his contract with Crystal Palace is running out in the summer, and his profile seems pretty perfect to me; young, homegrown, talanted and with PL experience.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13056, 13057, 13058, 13059, 13060, 13061, 13062 ... 14269  Next