Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 91 guests

Post #510641  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
,..... aaaand normal service is resumed.

Could someone be hasn’t blocked tell him the big majority of his posts are ignored. So why is that bullying? Sounds more like him wanting to act like a victim, even though he’s not.

AG, for your reading pleasure :42laughter:

Post #510642  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:53 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
my best friend in grade school became my best friend because he was severely bullied.

I was bullied at school too. And I was home schooled.

'straightens tie ...'

Post #510643  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:10 am 

lol...you sound like Rodney Dangerfield.

Post #510644  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:09 am 

dec wrote:
A few people have commented that it's getting real in response to the suggestion that COVID 19 is being over-hyped.

Here's my current version of real.....I sat next to a work colleague for 30mins at a meeting on Wednesday. I came into work yesterday morning to learn that she was now self-isolating and waiting to be tested because her partner tested positive on Wednesday evening.

My 92 year old father suffered a mild stroke 3 weeks ago. He is back in his own house this week. I am his only proper family support. I have to now try my best to apply the contact guidelines but obviously have to keep calling to him. If he contracts COVID19, he is unlikely to survive it.

Still, probably best to let it all pass naturally rather than wrecking the world. *%^@*** hell.

Hi Dec,

I'm very sorry to hear about your father's stroke. It is very difficult to cope with the everyday needs of the elderly whilst at the same time keeping them safe from potential infection. I hope that things work out well for you and him.

The whole situation is a complete nightmare.

Post #510645  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:58 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Isolation stops the spread. As much of it as possible. If you have 60 thousand people mingling and integrating in a small area of course you are enabling the spread of the virus.

Your right closed doors still enables the spread of the virus but on a much smaller level, probably a good few hundred rather than thousands. You can’t stop people buying food and essentials but there are measures to reduce exposure that have been ignored.

To achieve herd immunity you need to infect 60% of the population, that means putting around 5 million in hospital to be treated and killing 200 to 400 thousand people.

How many people attend football matches? A pretty tiny proportion of the population would be my guess, and I’d bet my life savings on it. Think of the countless millions who have to come into contact with others for different reasons. Sorry, I honestly think you’re being diverted from the reality of the situation. As I’ve said, my own choice would be to abandon the season. But do I think that would save anyone from dying from the virus? Probably not.

Really ! On the basis the Arsenal manager himself is infected and probably has infected others in the camp? That type of situation isn’t increased if you put huge crowds into the mix,

There’s a reason they are cancelling the large gatherings now.

Our government started off by dealing with this well, now they have reverted to full blown Tory mode where they will kill any amount of poor people to try and stop damage to the economy

Post #510646  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:37 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
...in addition, my best friend in grade school became my best friend because he was severely bullied. I will not ever, ever, give in to bullies and be bullied off here. Ever. The irony is that if their child endured the same online trolling from classmates they would be speaking to the headmaster about it.
I'm made of sterner stuff.

Someone left me off the soapbox. :42laughter:

Suck my massive, spunky .....

Post #510647  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:59 am 

DHD wrote:
I miss Brexit

Haha

Post #510648  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:55 pm 

Abu wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...in addition, my best friend in grade school became my best friend because he was severely bullied. I will not ever, ever, give in to bullies and be bullied off here. Ever. The irony is that if their child endured the same online trolling from classmates they would be speaking to the headmaster about it.
I'm made of sterner stuff.

Someone left me off the soapbox. :42laughter:

Suck my massive, spunky .....

Welcome back Abu. I've missed your thoughtful, considered contributions.

Post #510649  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:29 pm 

We have all seen movies that take this current crisis to an extreme level. I'm being told in America, toilet paper is a luxury item now. People are actually on craigslist selling it at marked up prices.

Every country with cases are spending money on it, and it will be in the billions if it hasn't already. It will turn to trillions soon enough. Trump has infused the share markets with 1.5 billion to prop it up and give the veneer that the drop is controllable and we will go back to 'normal' whatever "normal" is and "normal" wasn't great either. It's not only the health issue but the economic impact that is also very worrisome. You can avoid the virus but be out of job if its a job interacting with the public. The lasting economic impact is worrying.

In previous crashes due to an economic bubble or war, wars end and we have a history of what do and not to do in recessions or depressions, like in 2008.

How do you come back from a steep recession when people aren't interacting? How does Tesco, Marks & Spencer, keep people on payroll if a very reduced number of people are going there? This is new and the lack of public interaction makes an economic recovery extremely difficult. Economists haven't dealt with this. Sure, we have places like Zaire and other African countries that had ebola but their economies were already fragile. Not much of a road back to the norm after the scare is over when the economy was poor to begin with.

Western and industrialized nations haven't had to encounter this. Where is the blueprint? We are far more interconnected now than we have ever been in the history of mankind.

Our leaders have a lot to mull over. A lot. This situation is one of the reasons you vote for who you vote for. To keep a level head and seek wise counsel. I don't know enough of Boris Johnson, Merkel and others to make an informed opinion but I do know for sure we have the wrong man for the times. In 2016 Hillary Clinton once said "I'm the only thing between you and an apocalypse" and people thought she was being hyperbolic. She said she had been around ex Presidents, foreign leaders and even the ones in the opposition party she knew they were always going to do what was best for the people. Even if she didn't agree with the foreign leader they were going to do the wise thing for the betterment of their people. She knew Trump for years. Everyone did. He was a known entity to politicians and the elite. They knew he didn't have the wherewithal for the job and that he had a massive ego and was a narcissist. He only acted in his own self interest. He didn't expect to win from all reports and was as surprised as everyone he actually won the d@mn thing.

His decisions are based on re-election. That is the scary thing. The rumours are his advisers are pleading, suggesting, anything they can to have him focus on what is needed and not what is expedient. I wasn't a fan of Hillary Clinton but she was right. And what is much, much scarier than Trump is that his sycophants are enabling him. Fox News, which polling says are almost exclusively what his supporters watch are exasperating the issue. Giving bad health advise, minimizing the enormity, suggesting criticism is based on ending his presidency.

If at anytime, the UN and world leaders need to share information, concerns and find any and all common ground to help us all, it is now.

Post #510650  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:29 pm 

Thanks for the good wishes, folks.

Pity we have no Arsenal performances to distract us from whatever is facing us in the next few weeks and months.

Post #510651  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:09 pm 

Have to agree.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51889682
Coronavirus: Premier League 4 April return hard to imagine - Brighton chief executive

In a strange way the world could use the distraction. So many variables. How many fans will show up? How will it affect the play on the field? I recall when Magic Johnson had HIV came back to play and the first rough incident where there may have been blood was a 'hold your breath' moment.

The virus may become the norm. It may be something we have to deal with on an ongoing basis and if its close to the flu, then it will have a season where its prominent, likely the same as the regular flu season, the winter months.

So many different things to consider. Anyway, that April 4th date seems an arbitrary one for the league to do a 'wait and see'.

Post #510652  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 pm 

I suspect football as we know it will change forever. I think that a lot of teams particularly in the lower leagues are just hanging on week to week. This could be the end for them with. I am not sure we won’t have some problems as well.

Post #510653  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:53 am 

If they called the EPL null and void as from now would you have any objection if the teams current position determined CL and Europa League places for next year. It would be totally against us as we would not qualify but personally I would not object. And maybe those comps will not happen in any event. Liverpool would not be awarded the title and I would not relegate anyone, promote 3 and next year 4 would go down and 4 down in the following 2 years.

Post #510654  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:01 am 

By the way this is a recommendation from me. I had booked an overseas holiday and had to cancel last week. Where I was entitled to refunds, a couple of places responded immediately upon my cancellation and refunded me within days. A shout out to Booking.com, Mytrips and Caminoways. I wish I could say the same about some other big companies who really played some games. Yep will still drop a lot of money in non-refundable things but its a first world problem. All the people who will lose their jobs or lives across the world are the hard done by. But just thought I would pay tribute to those that were good to deal with.

Post #510655  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
If they called the EPL null and void as from now would you have any objection if the teams current position determined CL and Europa League places for next year. It would be totally against us as we would not qualify but personally I would not object. And maybe those comps will not happen in any event. Liverpool would not be awarded the title and I would not relegate anyone, promote 3 and next year 4 would go down and 4 down in the following 2 years.

I would support that decision fully, if your idea was implemented. Tough on the teams trying to get promoted and what a piece of luck for Norwich and others likely to go down. But if it stops Liverpool winning the league, that’s great. American said he hoped the other clubs would get together and agree to award them the title. I don’t. Stuff Liverpool.

Post #510656  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:34 am 

If the season is declared null and void, no league results should count. It should be a full rewind to the end of last season. That would be very tough on Liverpool, Leeds and West Brom, but I think it is the fairest approach.

If this goes on for months, I think the days of huge salaries and transfer fees might be gone, at least for a while. Clubs are all losing revenue and the tv companies that generate so much income for the clubs will lose millions in advertising revenue.

Post #510657  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:45 am 

People still talking about if this season will go ahead ?

Id talk about next season. Your going to need a substantial effort of sterilisation and isolation required to bring it under control that may stem several months. This hasn’t even peaked in the U.K yet and our tactics are completely reactionary.

The government seem to be abdicating decisions and leaving them to the private sector. Simply incredible

Nevermind if Liverpool will win the league or not, this is going to affect sport for a while. William hill have resorted to taking bets on the weather

Post #510658  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:48 am 

dec wrote:
If the season is declared null and void, no league results should count. It should be a full rewind to the end of last season. That would be very tough on Liverpool, Leeds and West Brom, but I think it is the fairest approach.

If this goes on for months, I think the days of huge salaries and transfer fees might be gone, at least for a while. Clubs are all losing revenue and the tv companies that generate so much income for the clubs will lose millions in advertising revenue.

Now that I did think about ! Say Lacazette and Aubameyang as an example.

If the season is voided are the club going to sit down with them and agree a contract extension of 300 k a week ish if they don’t even know when they can open their ground again ?

Post #510659  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:53 am 

dec wrote:
Clubs are all losing revenue and the tv companies that generate so much income for the clubs will lose millions in advertising revenue.

Wouldn’t it be nice if it makes Kroenke decide to sell the club. No reason to think he will, but I’d like to hope he will.

Post #510660  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:15 am 

I think the coronavirus is a massive wake-up call to the world and it's legacy in terms of it's effects on lives and businesses could last for years.

I keep hearing the govt talking about following the science but doesn't the rest of the world have access to this same science, and if they do why have they chosen a different path?

Post #510661  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:45 am 

socrates wrote:
I think the coronavirus is a massive wake-up call to the world and it's legacy in terms of it's effects on lives and businesses could last for years.

I keep hearing the govt talking about following the science but doesn't the rest of the world have access to this same science, and if they do why have they chosen a different path?

They are new generation Tories, how we could do with a Thatcher, Major or Blair type right now as imperfect as they were. This lot are just being new generation Tories.

Economy over lives, they are scared of a recession however a recession at this point is inevitable.

Post #510662  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:12 pm 

Attachment:

Finally, a solution to the toilet roll crisis.

Edit: Kiwi, did you knock this up in the shed?

Post #510663  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:31 pm 

Odd, that the while rest of the world are closing down their cities and indeed their countries - schools, universities, shops, entertainment, transport and travel - we alone are taking a different approach, closing and restricting very little. We seem to be encouraging a “controlled” mass outbreak to infect an enormous number early-on so as to achieve ‘herd immunity’.

The suggestion is that a 60-80% infection rate is required to achieve that; this equates to 40-50 million people. Of course the overwhelming majority will recover, but that’s still a very high risk strategy for many. It’s pretty high risk for the country as well.

Roll the dice, eh? Typical Boris.

Post #510664  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:43 pm 

There is no herd immunity for flu and the common cold.

“Herd immunity” is clearly a public slogan being used by Dominic Cummings to simply try and justify why they want to ignore the virus because of the terrible state of the economy and them not wanting to shut everything. People will die because of the strategy or lack of one

Post #510665  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I would support that decision fully, if your idea was implemented. Tough on the teams trying to get promoted and what a piece of luck for Norwich and others likely to go down. But if it stops Liverpool winning the league, that’s great. American said he hoped the other clubs would get together and agree to award them the title. I don’t. Stuff Liverpool.

My guess is that this season will be declared null and void so there’ll be no winner and no relegation, but Leeds & WBA will be promoted. That will mean a 22 team league next season with 42 games - 4 more than we’ve had for many years now.

All this should see the end of the League Cup and a re-jig of the FA Cup with no replays. 4 down and 3 up for the next two seasons will get the PL back on track.

Post #510666  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

“Herd immunity” is clearly a public slogan being used by Dominic Cummings to simply try and justify why they want to ignore the virus because of the terrible state of the economy and them not wanting to shut everything. People will die because of the strategy or lack of one

I hope I’m wrong, but Cummings ideas on eugenics and genetics may well be behind this. Which makes the policy all the more chilling.

And as regards the policy, even if our CMO and chief scientific adviser agree with it, they still seem to be very much in the minority of medical opinion worldwide.

And as for that YouTube bucket video, I’d love to know who that bloke is. He makes the policy sound so logical, apart from one MASSIVE mistake; his whole argument forgets that the NHS is already, without Covid-19, at breaking point.

This should be declared a national emergency now, and we should be requisitioning private hospital beds, not paying £2.4 million a day for them. And Richard Branson can feck right off.

Post #510667  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:12 pm 

At the very least we should be in lock-down to allow time for the manufacture of more ventilators that would save lives.

Not to do so is unforgiveable.

Post #510668  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:14 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

My guess is that this season will be declared null and void so there’ll be no winner and no relegation, but Leeds & WBA will be promoted. That will mean a 22 team league next season with 42 games - 4 more than we’ve had for many years now.

All this should see the end of the League Cup and a re-jig of the FA Cup with no replays. 4 down and 3 up for the next two seasons will get the PL back on track.

To be honest, DHD, I think football is a complete inconsequence at the moment, until we get this virus under some sort of control.

Post #510669  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 pm 

john1 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I hope I’m wrong, but Cummings ideas on eugenics and genetics may well be behind this. Which makes the policy all the more chilling.

And as regards the policy, even if our CMO and chief scientific adviser agree with it, they still seem to be very much in the minority of medical opinion worldwide.

And as for that YouTube bucket video, I’d love to know who that bloke is. He makes the policy sound so logical, apart from one MASSIVE mistake; his whole argument forgets that the NHS is already, without Covid-19, at breaking point.

This should be declared a national emergency now, and we should be requisitioning private hospital beds, not paying £2.4 million a day for them. And Richard Branson can feck right off.

Hi john1,

We are effectively betting the lives of our elderly and those with underlying medical conditions on our scientists being right and everybody else being wrong.

If few of the world's most esteemed scientists and epidemiologists think its the right approach, many to the point of being horrified, I would suggest the strong likelihood is that it isn't.

Post #510670  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:23 pm 

john1 wrote:

Sorry John, but that sounds like an extremely implausible conspiracy theory, and there are plenty doing the internet rounds at the moment, as you might expect.

Post #510671  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:32 pm 

Yes, I'm going to bleat on about the FA giving Liverpool the title (if the majority of owners/coaches agree) if the season is null and void. As much as Liverpool gave me ulcers with their weekly wins, the achievement thus far is nothing short of...well, I can't come up with any adjectives to describe it. It should be recognized.

As for the virus, the global deaths on the news said about 5,400. I don't believe that number for a second. China said 2800 roughly. They have zero transparency. I think its multiple times that and they gave a low ball number to make it seem like they have it in control. The level and degree they went to, shutting down an area with millions on millions and it being at point zero, I believe it spread so fast and was so deadly, they couldn't keep it under their hats because of the possible pandemic. My guestimate is their number of deaths are double the global number. They knew the economic hit they would take if they talked about it but it was out of their hands. Too many people, including foreigners saw the effects and the strong possibility the world would have a pandemic would ensue a global depression they would lose out economically anyway.

Japan says the Olympics are still going on but even if it does, it's going to be very, subdued. It's too soon after the hysteria to give anyone comfort. But Iguess after you spend so much money in advance to host it, you can't write it off...just yet.

The few experts out there are saying the world needs a cultural change to fight it. People are simply going to have to change their personal habits, gloves, washing hands, preventative measures. And its going to change how we raise kids. Parents let their kids do all kinds of things so they can have a happy childhood. Kids will sneeze, cough and spread germs like its nobody's business. If one kid gets something at day care, like the cold they all have it because of how kids are with each other as an example.

If this becomes something we are going to have to live with seasonally and like its cousin, it will mutate and need a different vaccine periodically to fight a new strain, then its going to get much worse before it gets better.

But Liverpool deserves their due. :1laughter:

Post #510672  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:38 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Sorry John, but that sounds like an extremely implausible conspiracy theory, and there are plenty doing the internet rounds at the moment, as you might expect.

Why is it implausible if we are literally the only country on the planet that seems without an interest in stopping the spread of a deadly disease.

Open airports, schools and no testing on countries coming in that have been infested with it.

To the rest of the planet that’s inexplicable and even the more liberal countries have enforced draconian measures so why is that so far fetched to suggest. There’s a reason we are behaving differently. The morality of the government is in question

Post #510673  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Why is it implausible if we are literally the only country on the planet that seems without an interest in stopping the spread of a deadly disease.

Open airports, schools and no testing on countries coming in that have been infested with it.

To the rest of the planet that’s inexplicable and even the more liberal countries have enforced draconian measures so why is that so far fetched to suggest. There’s a reason we are behaving differently. The morality of the government is in question

That's rubbish TG. It may be that you disagree with the strategy, it may be that the strategy is wrong. However, the idea that Boris and Cummings are trying somehow to cull the population is bonkers.

Post #510674  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:49 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

That's rubbish TG. It may be that you disagree with the strategy, it may be that the strategy is wrong. However, the idea that Boris and Cummings are trying somehow to cull the population is bonkers.

A cull ? Probably not, I think they just don’t give a *%^@.

Cummings type of people he recruits ? Weirdos who like coding, he has bizarre views and doesn’t hesitate to employ people who believe in eugenics ffs.

So a cull ? Probably not ? However it’s not that much more mental than a country not bothering to protect itself from a deadly virus

Post #510675  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:16 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Hi Brom,

Just for clarity's sake, I don't mean Cummings is responsible for the actual virus, but his ideas on eugenics may well be a driving force behind our govt's policy.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong and I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories. But there's a lot about Cummings that is to say the least, questionable.

If anyone can reassure me on this, please do.

Post #510676  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:20 pm 

john1 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Hi Brom,

Just for clarity's sake, I don't mean Cummings is responsible for the actual virus, but his ideas on eugenics may well be a driving force behind our govt's policy.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong and I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories. But there's a lot about Cummings that is to say the least, questionable.

This is the kind of thing I've read which worries me:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/pete-s ... ccounter=1

Post #510677  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:40 pm 

john1 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Hi Brom,

Hi John
I understand that some of Cummings' ideas are very questionable. I just think that the idea that there's any kind of link between Cummings' thoughts on genetics and UK coronavirus response is very far fetched.
But, obviously, what do I know.

Post #510678  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:51 pm 

No football and fearful times but we can alleviate some of that with a little reminiscing.

Post #510679  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:05 pm 

I love hearing ex pros talk about these matches. I would love to hear other players. A little disappointed Keown doesn't 'hate' Tottenham. I'd love to see a panel with Sherring'scum', big Tone, John Terry all talk about the Derbies.

Post #510680  Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:08 pm 

All pubs and bars in Ireland closing tomorrow for at least two weeks. Tuesday is St Patrick's Day. Unprecedented times.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12764, 12765, 12766, 12767, 12768, 12769, 12770 ... 14269  Next