Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 98 guests

Post #501561  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:49 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
I should add: kudos for the 'Ceb-' shortcut you posted yesterday, Rog, but fans of the renegade 'Caballos' spelling are still running wild.

“Cellebaros” was my personal favourite :laughing7:

Post #501562  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:58 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Decent performance yesterday, all things considered. Our defense looked rocky in the first half, but improved in the second. I think the scoreline flattered Burnley a bit, without a couple of excellent saves from their keeper we would've killed the match a lot sooner.

Ceballos looked like everything I hoped for when we signed him. Absolute class. Pépé still looks to be some way off his best, but you can see the potential there. That little nutmeg he did in midfield had the crowd buzzing.

Job done for the first two games. If we can get a point at Anfield it's been a brilliant start to the season.

Same for me. I might be a little overly positive but felt that with a team that haven't played a lot together the odd mistake or gap was bound to happen. So many new a hungry players which opposition know little about gives us an unpredictability. I still wish we didn't regimentally persist with trying to play out from the back under pressure. Try and do that against City or Liverpool and it's asking for trouble and almost giving them a goal handicap because they will take advantage.

Post #501563  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:00 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
But the way van persie portrays it was that he would have signed a deal with us if it was offered.
I’m sure arsenal were slow at getting to the table but to suggest arsenal actively wanted rid of Van persie at that time and were 100% happy selling him to Man U for under market value is just not believable

Yes that seems unlikely but why don’t the club come out and reply

Do they need to? Van Persies own email to the world made it clear he'd made the call to leave. Contract on table or not he stated that he left due to differences of opinion over the club direction.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk › teams
Robin van Persie's official statement to Arsenal fans - Telegraph

Post #501564  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:03 pm 

Ash wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
I should add: kudos for the 'Ceb-' shortcut you posted yesterday, Rog, but fans of the renegade 'Caballos' spelling are still running wild.

Sorry I missed that one, Ash! I'll add it to the list.

Post #501565  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:19 pm 

Ash wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Glad you liked the nickname I created for Ceballos :42laughter:

Post #501566  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:40 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Decent performance yesterday, all things considered. Our defense looked rocky in the first half, but improved in the second. I think the scoreline flattered Burnley a bit, without a couple of excellent saves from their keeper we would've killed the match a lot sooner.

Ceballos looked like everything I hoped for when we signed him. Absolute class. Pépé still looks to be some way off his best, but you can see the potential there. That little nutmeg he did in midfield had the crowd buzzing.

Job done for the first two games. If we can get a point at Anfield it's been a brilliant start to the season.

Agreed, Haz. And congrats on getting Ceballos' name right. It's only a few weeks into his Arsenal career, but judging by the forum he's already the most misspelled player in club history. Caballos. Cellabos. Cellobos ... Rog, for the love of God, weave your magic...

I'm not sure, McQuilkie. There have been some classics in the past - Wiltshire, Carzola and the truly wonderful Yaya Sanomo.

Post #501567  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:08 pm 

dec wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Agreed, Haz. And congrats on getting Ceballos' name right. It's only a few weeks into his Arsenal career, but judging by the forum he's already the most misspelled player in club history. Caballos. Cellabos. Cellobos ... Rog, for the love of God, weave your magic...

I'm not sure, McQuilkie. There have been some classics in the past - Wiltshire, Carzola and the truly wonderful Yaya Sanomo.

Yaya Sanomo - that's quite poetic, dec. And, thankfully, Carzola lives on to this day, courtesy of one of our more eccentric forum members.

Post #501568  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:46 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:

Every time that I see his name I think of onions as in Cebollas.

Haven’t yet seen anyone come up with that variant fortunately.

Post #501569  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:59 pm 

With Ceballos’ great performance in a no.10 / no.8 position and the Xhaka missing what now is our best 11 if everyone is fit?
It might be a toss up between holding and Sokratis to partner Luiz
Guendouzi and Ceballos play in midfield, who is the 3rd midfielder? Özil? Torreira? Xhaka? Willock?
Front 3 must be Pépé, Aubameyang, Lacazette even though I don’t think either Aubameyang/Lacazette are as good out wide

Will be interesting to see our first Europa League team of the season

Post #501570  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:30 pm 

I hadn't realized he ended up at Derby. 38! How time flies.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49386282

Ashley Cole: Ex-Arsenal, Chelsea and England full-back retires

Post #501571  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:39 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Should that be Coal - just to prove that no name is immune.

Post #501572  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:00 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Cole was at LA Galaxy prior to Lampard luring him away to join Derby.

Post #501573  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:02 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:

Post #501574  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
With Ceballos’ great performance in a no.10 / no.8 position and the Xhaka missing what now is our best 11 if everyone is fit?

Some great options in midfield now, and it's hard to say who should be our main starters without seeing how they work together. I'd be tempted to start with Ceballos, Xhaka and Guendozi against Liverpool. Torreira doesn't look like he's 100% match fit yet, and Willock is definitely the odd man out for me at this point. He has shown incredible promise so far but should not be starting for Arsenal this early in his career.

Thought Guendozi had an understated but very good performance against Burnley, taking a backseat to Ceballos who had the ball a lot. Guendozi had close to a 95% pass accuracy and more interceptions than anyone on the team. Very solid.

Post #501575  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
You mean like they did with Ramsay and Sanchez. No meaningful negotiations until closer to the 12 month to go mark- no that can’t be right.

Also this is what an persie wrote on his own website at the time of his departure
“I’ve thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract,”

Well I would say same, however as politely as I could. Same could be applied if you're at a prominent, but stable, company. Being in high upper management with said company 8-10 years. Have provided solid aptitude encompassing broad areas of expertise, while maintaining competiveness in a structured environment. Now you want to expand your responsibilities, add new fresh personnel, broaden your field of expertise. Yet, your current company tells you that it isn't a possibilty right now, but maybe within 2-3 years. All they offer is continued annual salary increases, and whatever bonuses/recognition, depending on continued above calibre output to stay with current company. Not good enough. Along comes a multi-billion €£$ company with worldwide enterprises, wanting your vision and expertise. Offers you a project manager position, oversee continued international expansion, manage-supervise your own department, have 2 assistants to handle domestic operations. Well you have to as politely as possible state why you're resigning from your present company. Reasons are numerous. Same with RVP. Club couldn't or wouldn't provide or match his ambitions & expectations, so he said bye. Easier for him to say he wasn't offered a new deal from the club.
Apologies for the long post peeps.

Post #501576  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:04 pm 

Rich wrote:
Guendouzi and Ceballos play in midfield, who is the 3rd midfielder? Özil? Torreira? Xhaka? Willock?
Front 3 must be Pépé, Aubameyang, Lacazette even though I don’t think either Aubameyang/Lacazette are as good out wide

For me when everyone is fit my starting eleven would be Leno, Bellerin, Tierney, Luiz, Sokratis, Torreira, Guendouzi, Cellabos, Pépé, Aubameyang, Lacazette.

If we were playing a top side away I could understand an argument for dropping Lacazette for Xhaka to make midfield more solid and still leave us with Pépé and Aubameyang for quick breaks when we need pace. Cellabos gets in on his performance yesterday. The hard part for him is keeping it up. If he doesn’t I reserve the right to change my selection in a few weeks. I’m not even writing Özil off yet to replace him.

But I think the squad is really strong. From players not in my starting eleven above, the squad includes Martinez, Maitland-Niles, Monreal, Kolasinac, Holding, Chambers, Mustafi, Özil, Xhaka, Elneny, Mkhitaryan, Willock, Nelson, Martinelli. That’s one hell of a squad.

I admit I haven’t seen much of Martinez. I’ll be happily surprised if he is at Čech’s level last season, but let’s hope. Elneny may still leave, and I don’t think that will weaken us. Mustafi might also go, but he’s always struck me as having a good attitude (he went to the game yesterday to support us) and if he stays, then I’ve no problem with it.

Post #501577  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:28 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

This is what it invokes for me. The catchphrase seems apt.
https://www.cerebos.co.za/

Post #501578  Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:01 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

Some great options in midfield now, and it's hard to say who should be our main starters without seeing how they work together. I'd be tempted to start with Ceballos, Xhaka and Guendozi against Liverpool. Torreira doesn't look like he's 100% match fit yet, and Willock is definitely the odd man out for me at this point. He has shown incredible promise so far but should not be starting for Arsenal this early in his career.

Thought Guendozi had an understated but very good performance against Burnley, taking a backseat to Ceballos who had the ball a lot. Guendozi had close to a 95% pass accuracy and more interceptions than anyone on the team. Very solid.

I agree about Guendouzi and Ceballos. They are looking like they form a very good combination. The person who plays near them needs to step up because I suspect teams will be trying to mark both these players to slow us. Willock did okay the other day. The problem is getting the ball to them in a timely manner and before the attacking team can get back into position. We look too vulnerable when we continually role the ball out to our fullbacks who frankly struggle.

Post #501579  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:11 am 

Before each season as you all know, the league is listed in alphabetical order and ever since I've started watching the PL, Arsenal are always at the top. Has there been another club in the top flight was listed before us? I thought of Accrington Stanley but when I looked in wiki they don't seem to have been in the top flight unless I missed something.

Post #501580  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:01 am 

Slowly but surely, football is creeping into mainstream America.
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/og9l/captain-mo ... ited-chant

Post #501581  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:20 am 

After 19 prem games this season is it surprising that not a single penalty has been given for holding at set pieces? We have VAR for this, and we saw the impact at the World Cup on penalties given for holding.

Do we believe all defenders have instantly and successfully changed the way they mark at set pieces so there is no holding?

This is going to be my biggest frustration with VAR this year. It’s not in VAR interpreting odd rules when it is called on, that’s the rules fault, but there will be wild inconsistencies in terms of what is reviewed and what isn’t.

Post #501582  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:47 am 

Decaf wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Yeah. That works :53big-emoticons:

Post #501583  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:52 am 

Speaking of understated performances, I think Monreal has started this season very well with two really good performances. He has looked like his old self out there, and maybe reports of his demise as a top class full back were a bit premature.

Post #501584  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:01 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

For me when everyone is fit my starting eleven would be Leno, Bellerin, Tierney, Luiz, Sokratis, Torreira, Guendouzi, Cellabos, Pépé, Aubameyang, Lacazette.

If we were playing a top side away I could understand an argument for dropping Lacazette for Xhaka to make midfield more solid and still leave us with Pépé and Aubameyang for quick breaks when we need pace. Cellabos gets in on his performance yesterday. The hard part for him is keeping it up. If he doesn’t I reserve the right to change my selection in a few weeks. I’m not even writing Özil off yet to replace him.

Morning Bernard,

That would be my team as well, with the caveat that you have mentioned regarding Ceballos. Despite his stunning performance on Saturday he's not played enough games for us, especially away from home or against top quality opposition, to really judge.

I like the dynamics of a Torreira, Guendouzi, Ceballos midfield trio but it remains to be seen if it works well in practice.

Post #501585  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:08 am 

I think the phrase "Rome wasn't built in a day" is quite apt for us at the moment.

We've made some really exciting signings that appear to address problem areas and once everyone is fit and fully integrated we should see a move to a different level.

CBs is the one area that still needs addressing. Luiz could be an ideal short term fix but I think its the one part of the team that will continue to be exposed. Maybe Saliba will be the answer next year but he will still only be 19 so it would be a huge ask. If we can find one other top quality youngish CB then I think we will potentially have a really good side.

Of course keeping Ceballos if he has a great season will be a big issue and perhaps an impossible task.

Post #501586  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:39 am 

Decaf wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Blimey Decaf - Cerebos is truly a blast from the past.

Cerebos salt was part of my childhood though I haven't seen it in the UK for years. My nan had a chicken (called Fanny!) and I remember trying to shake salt on its tail, as the child shown on the tin was doing.

All poncey Maldon salt now. And pink Himalayan.

Post #501587  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:58 am 

DHD wrote:

We have pink salt. No idea where it comes from though.

Post #501588  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:09 am 

Cerebos salt - "It makes Richer Blood, Stronger Nerves"

Salt for heroes.

Attachment:

Post #501589  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:10 am 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Waitrose Bern

Post #501590  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:41 am 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Waitrose Bern

That’s correct. The Welwyn Garden City branch. Apparently the country of origin is Himalaya.

Post #501591  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:00 pm 

DHD wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Cerebos salt was part of my childhood though I haven't seen it in the UK for years. My nan had a chicken (called Fanny!) and I remember trying to shake salt on its tail, as the child shown on the tin was doing.

We still have it here. The Cerebos plant is fairly near where we live. There are often flamingos on the evaporating pools.

Love these old brands and their tag lines and images. Cerebos used used to make bisto too.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-south ... 85848.html

Post #501592  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:36 pm 

I'd bite off someone's hand for a draw at Anfield right now. I'm just hoping we show some spirit and fight.

Post #501593  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:47 pm 

Decaf wrote:
DHD wrote:

We still have it here. The Cerebos plant is fairly near where we live. There are often flamingos on the evaporating pools.

Love these old brands and their tag lines and images. Cerebos used used to make bisto too.

Attachment:

"Out of the strong came forth sweetness"

Buggered if I could ever figure out what that quote had to do with Golden Syrup or a fly-blown lion!

Post #501594  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:59 pm 

DHD wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Attachment:
Golden Syrup.jpg

"Out of the strong came forth sweetness"

Buggered if I could ever figure out what that quote had to do with Golden Syrup or a fly-blown lion!

Samson’s riddle from the book of Judges

He killed a lion - some bees made a hive in the carcass.

Post #501595  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:53 pm 

Since we are only 2 matches into the season I hadn't looked at the table but just took a peek and didn't know we are tied for first. Battle for the top of the table commences Saturday. :58big-emoticons:

Post #501596  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:08 pm 

Check out Reuben Neves strike against Utd.

Post #501597  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:17 pm 

Ash wrote:

I didn’t watch it but good news that Manchester United dropped two points tonight.

Post #501598  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

I didn’t watch it but good news that Manchester United dropped two points tonight.

Yep, Pogba missed a pen (or had it saved) at 1-1! :42laughter:

Neves strike is a beaut though. Somehow hits the bar twice.

Post #501599  Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:57 pm 

Just watching an interesting news report about an englishman described as Prince Andrew and a Jeffrey Epstein, who appears to have been a good friend. Interesting video of the said Prince Andrew peering out of doorway. The implication of the report seemed to be that a rather young woman/girl was leaving the residence with the said Epstein.

Very fortunate that the said Epstein is now dead and will never be able to tell us what happened. Might also have been able to tell people something about an apparent friend of Andrews called Virginia Roberts.

Post #501600  Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:08 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just watching an interesting news report about an englishman described as Prince Andrew and a Jeffrey Epstein, who appears to have been a good friend. Interesting video of the said Prince Andrew peering out of doorway. The implication of the report seemed to be that a rather young woman/girl was leaving the residence with the said Epstein.

Very fortunate that the said Epstein is now dead and will never be able to tell us what happened. Might also have been able to tell people something about an apparent friend of Andrews called Virginia Roberts.

He was meeting with Epstein 2 years after his first conviction.

Whilst it will never likely be proven now his behaviour is obvious and damning. If it looks like a duck and quacks like one it’s a duck.

Lizards everywhere

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12537, 12538, 12539, 12540, 12541, 12542, 12543 ... 14269  Next