Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 92 guests

Post #497201  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:11 am 

Decaf wrote:
...We blew the palace game because Emery gambled and it didn't pay off. The gamble was a bit reckless considering that Palace have been upsetting top six teams all season.
Yes, it was an error which could prove very costly. Strange to not play his strongest cards in a London derby at home as the league campaign reaches its climax. Few managers would do that.

Post #497202  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:14 am 

Bernard wrote:
I wouldn't support naming any ground after any former manager. Be it this one, the last one retrospectively, or the next one...
I agree. Arsenal Stadium would please me.

Post #497203  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:55 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Easier fixtures - mate if ever a team can turn an easy fixture into a nail biter we can because of arrogance (failure to pay respect to our opponents) or the number of mistakes we make.

The fact we are still in with a chance of fourth means we have improved from last year IMO but our carefree attitude persists. The no personal responsibility that permeates the current generation, has been allowed to develop and grow at the club. Changing that is the first challenge.

Do an exercise we used to do in Oz when we were playing cricket against the great West Indies sides and fast bowlers - who would you want to bat for your life. Look at the current Arsenal team and tell me who you would select to play for you if your life depended upon it. It is difficult to select 11 players. You know the Tony Adams, David Oleary, Dixon, Henry, or even someone like Perry Groves or Giles Grimandi would try their guts out for you. Whose attitude would you prefer Patrick Viera or our current teams.

When managing change, like Emery is trying to do, you cannot change culture of a business in under three years. We have a long way to go.

I disagree. Özil is the only player whose attitude one might question. And there is nothing specifically 'modern' about being something of a maverick.

The problem with El Neny, Jenks, Mavrapanos and Mustafi is that they are just not quite good enough, for whatever reason.

Kos, Sokratis, Monreal, ANM, Torriera, and Xhaka are seriously nuggety characters. Monreal and Kos are getting on, but who can deny that they've been admirable characters and great servants to the club? Its not their fault that we haven't been more successful.

We blew the palace game because Emery gambled and it didn't pay off. The gamble was a bit reckless considering that Palace have been upsetting top six teams all season.

Totally disagree. Watch how they started off the game. No chasing down no effort - just drifting. Now watch the Man City players and even the Spurs players. It is not a matter of lack of ability - it is lack of application. Otherwise we would beat Southhampton, CP, and a host of others

Post #497204  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:36 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:
I wonder what the plans are for next season... surely we can't rely on Monreal and Koscielny to be first-teamers still?

I very much doubt it. Doesn't Monreal's contract end this summer? If so I suspect he'll move on. I think Koscielny's contract ends in the summer of 2020. So I think he'll stay but next season will be his last at Arsenal.

Here's my guess of what will happen with the defence for next season. Mustafi will be sold this summer. A new central defender will be signed from somewhere, probably a player in his early twenties who shows big promise which will push the price up without being a Van Dijk type cost. The other possibility is someone like Boateng. In his day great but the rumours I'm getting is he's had a poor season and Bayern are willing to let go. But the younger player is, I reckon, more likely.

Whether we play four or five at the back (with two or three central defenders), I suspect the new player will be the obvious first choice. Alongside him will be either Sokratis or Holding in a back four or both with a back five. Koscielny and I hope Medley will be used to cover injuries, suspensions, and resting players. I see Mavropanos going on loan somewhere.

If Monreal goes we're left with Kolasinac who's decent going forward but can't defend to save his life. So I expect a new left back to arrive. With Bellerin and Maitland-Niles (I'm sure Lichtsteiner will go) that should hopefully be enough at right back. Maybe Jenkinson will be kept for dire emergencies or will be sold. I think it could come down to when his contract ends, which I don't know.

So we definitely need a new left back if Monreal's contract is not renewed.
Not confident about Mustafi being sold - which club would buy him? Fifth choice CB and third choice RB role for him, I guess.
We need a new GK too. Unless both Emery and Martinez are happy with Martinez as second choice GK.
Wonder if Chambers will be part of the squad next season.

Post #497205  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:02 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I very much doubt it. Doesn't Monreal's contract end this summer? If so I suspect he'll move on. I think Koscielny's contract ends in the summer of 2020. So I think he'll stay but next season will be his last at Arsenal.

Here's my guess of what will happen with the defence for next season. Mustafi will be sold this summer. A new central defender will be signed from somewhere, probably a player in his early twenties who shows big promise which will push the price up without being a Van Dijk type cost. The other possibility is someone like Boateng. In his day great but the rumours I'm getting is he's had a poor season and Bayern are willing to let go. But the younger player is, I reckon, more likely.

Whether we play four or five at the back (with two or three central defenders), I suspect the new player will be the obvious first choice. Alongside him will be either Sokratis or Holding in a back four or both with a back five. Koscielny and I hope Medley will be used to cover injuries, suspensions, and resting players. I see Mavropanos going on loan somewhere.

If Monreal goes we're left with Kolasinac who's decent going forward but can't defend to save his life. So I expect a new left back to arrive. With Bellerin and Maitland-Niles (I'm sure Lichtsteiner will go) that should hopefully be enough at right back. Maybe Jenkinson will be kept for dire emergencies or will be sold. I think it could come down to when his contract ends, which I don't know.

So we definitely need a new left back if Monreal's contract is not renewed.
Not confident about Mustafi being sold - which club would buy him? Fifth choice CB and third choice RB role for him, I guess.
We need a new GK too. Unless both Emery and Martinez are happy with Martinez as second choice GK.
Wonder if Chambers will be part of the squad next season.

Yes, with Čech retiring a decision will need to be made about the reserve keeper. Martinez or someone new. As long as it isn't bloody Ospina coming back, I'll be happy anyway. I was focussing on defenders though. Think there are plenty of clubs who would pay a transfer fee for Mustafi. The Palace game is fresh in our minds, but up to then he hadn't had a bad season. We won't get our money back, but he isn't 'non-sellable'.

Chambers! Are you being serious? My Fulham supporting relatives say he's been worse than useless. Terrible defender who won't even be good enough for Fulham in the Championship.

Post #497206  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Chambers! Are you being serious? My Fulham supporting relatives say he's been worse than useless. Terrible defender who won't even be good enough for Fulham in the Championship.

I think that's a little unfair, Bernard. He's played the majority of the season in midfield as a DM and from what I have seen and read has been one of Fulham's best performers, if not the best performer, over the course of the season.

That said I would expect him to be sold if a decent offer comes in.

Post #497207  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I wouldn't support naming any ground after any former manager.

Totally agree ridiculous to do otherwise.

New Highbury, or The Arsenal stadium but stadiums will be sponsor forever and always now anyway.

The skodran Mustafi stand or whatever sounds ridiculous.

How about the Mustafi Big Top, sponsored by Billy Smart.

Roll-up, roll-up.

Post #497208  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:45 pm 

A great defender - and attacker - RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMnFrVk1rrM

Post #497209  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:42 pm 

Man U have lost 6 of their last 8, and the two they won 2-1 at home to Watford and West Ham they were second best and very lucky to win. They should be on a run of 8 straight defeats

I was pretty happy when they gave Ole a 3 year deal. He came in and did the obvious things, all out attack, positivity, gave players like pogba freedom....but I always felt he was riding the crest of a wave as the results even in that early period were better than performances suggested.

No doubt another tonne of money will be thrown at the problem in the summer

Post #497210  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:54 pm 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think that's a little unfair, Bernard. He's played the majority of the season in midfield as a DM and from what I have seen and read has been one of Fulham's best performers, if not the best performer, over the course of the season.

That said I would expect him to be sold if a decent offer comes in.

I don't think it's unfair at all. I mentioned fairly recently that my relatives thought he'd been less bad in midfield. But as a defender they don't consider him 'fit to wear the shirt' (and we're talking of Fulham's shrt). Shocking defender. Blimey, knowing how you go on about our defenders/defending, if Chambers came back you wouldn't have any time to eat or sleep. Y,ou'd be writing posts here twenty four hours a day moaning about our defending.

Post #497211  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:56 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I disagree. Özil is the only player whose attitude one might question. And there is nothing specifically 'modern' about being something of a maverick.

The problem with El Neny, Jenks, Mavrapanos and Mustafi is that they are just not quite good enough, for whatever reason.

Kos, Sokratis, Monreal, ANM, Torriera, and Xhaka are seriously nuggety characters. Monreal and Kos are getting on, but who can deny that they've been admirable characters and great servants to the club? Its not their fault that we haven't been more successful.

We blew the palace game because Emery gambled and it didn't pay off. The gamble was a bit reckless considering that Palace have been upsetting top six teams all season.

Totally disagree. Watch how they started off the game. No chasing down no effort - just drifting. Now watch the Man City players and even the Spurs players. It is not a matter of lack of ability - it is lack of application. Otherwise we would beat Southhampton, CP, and a host of others

I agree on the comparison with city and spurs, the attitude to start fast is there in nearly every game. Liverpool as well, incredible intensity.

If emery wants that style he certainly didn’t inherit a group of players who have the natural attributes for it. Off the top of my head, I’d say the following players suit the sort of high tempo, high press,fast paced game employed by city/Liverpool: Leno, Bellerin, Sokratis, torreira, Ramsey, maybe Iwobi and AMN.

But that kind of football and attitude doesn’t guarantee you beat the lesser lights. City have lost to Newcastle, palace and Leicester this season. Maybe their attitude was switched off in those games?

The attitude needs to be better and more consistent. The fast starts in the home games v spurs, Man U, chelsea, Napoli....and the other two European Ko games is how we should approach every game. But there is also a big lack of ability in many of our squad.

Many wanted to see a new man take the same players and see what he can get out of them. Emery has improved some. Those who were poor before and are still poor now will, I suspect, be shown the door this summer

Post #497212  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:00 pm 

There is no reason why there shouldn’t be clubs willing to buy Mustafi. I mean other clubs manage to buy big, he’s a total flop and still shift him on for a decent fee.
Benteke at Liverpool is one that springs to mind.

Maybe a team that doesn’t play such a high line and rely on defenders to make 1v1 decisions might think Mustafi can do a decent job. His rep is probably a lot stronger abroad as well.

He’s a must sell. Pointless keeping him as 5th CB, the £20m we might get for him can be used better in the squad than having him as a 5th CB

Post #497213  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:44 pm 

Rich wrote:
There is no reason why there shouldn’t be clubs willing to buy Mustafi

Exactly. The suggestion that nobody would buy him was a strange one. As I said, I can't see us getting back what we paid for him. But that doesn't mean no-one would buy him.

Post #497214  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
There is no reason why there shouldn’t be clubs willing to buy Mustafi.

Oh absolutely but he might have to switch continents, word gets about quickly these days !

Post #497215  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:10 pm 

wtf? This is batty
http://www.sportbible.com/football/news ... fV8KAY-riA

Arsenal Fan 'Proves' That Shkodran Mustafi Is Having A Better Season Than Virgil Van Dijk

Post #497216  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:11 pm 

I can think of a few reasons why most fans in the league want Liverpool. Among them City's money.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/reac ... 2PrCRvAADM

Liverpool fans: Liverpool 100% - 0% Manchester City

Manchester City fans: Liverpool 0% - 100% Manchester City

Tottenham fans: Liverpool 53% - 47% Manchester City

Arsenal fans: Liverpool 53% - 47% Manchester City

Chelsea fans: Liverpool 47% - 53% Manchester City

Manchester United fans: Liverpool 36% - 64% Manchester City

Everton fans: Liverpool 33% - 67% Manchester City

Watford fans: Liverpool 56% - 44% Manchester City

Leicester fans: Liverpool 60% - 40% Manchester City

Wolves fans: Liverpool 72% - 28% Manchester City

West Ham fans: Liverpool 71% - 29% Manchester City

Crystal Palace fans: Liverpool 62% - 38% Manchester City

Newcastle fans: Liverpool 64% - 36% Manchester City

Bournemouth fans: Liverpool 72% - 28% Manchester City

Burnley fans: Liverpool 50% - 50% Manchester City

Southampton fans: Liverpool 48% - 52% Manchester City

Brighton fans: Liverpool 52% - 48% Manchester City

Cardiff fans: Liverpool 59% - 41% Manchester City

Fulham fans: Liverpool 73% - 27% Manchester City

Huddersfield Town fans: Liverpool 75% - 25% Manchester City

Post #497217  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:14 pm 

kinda cool
https://www.facebook.com/SkySports/vide ... 667709029/

Post #497218  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:34 pm 

Spurs score very very late, surely going to beat Brighton 1-0 now.

Post #497219  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:02 pm 

Rich wrote:

Just knew they would... their luck seemingly never runs out.

Post #497220  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:33 pm 

Argghh! :36angers: Thought Brighton could hold on with some luck. The fact it went this late for sperz to win is surprising given the opposition.

Sperz aren't who we are competing against anyway. I've pretty much conceded 3rd to them. Its Man Utd and Chelsea we have to worry about.

Post #497221  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:40 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Just knew they would... their luck seemingly never runs out.

Late goals are the signs of very good teams, but you can’t keep relying on them. Both spurs and Liverpool have won lots of games very late this year.

Post #497222  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:43 pm 

The way we are playing, should we see a draw as a good result?

Post #497223  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:02 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Had we beaten Palace yes but now we really need a win.

Post #497224  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:15 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
A great defender - and attacker - RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMnFrVk1rrM

Thanks for that Old Man. What a player and what a career. Top player and top man.822 games for Celtic and played every minute .…never ever substituted Part of the brilliant Celtic team that did actually do the quadruple. Love the incredible statistic that 10 of the team who won the European Cup were born within 10 miles of the ground(Bobby Lennox was born 30 miles !). I can still remember seeing Tommy Gemmell’s rocket shot in the final.
Travel well Billy.

Post #497225  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:28 am 

Wow, a quadruple!

Post #497226  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:41 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Had we beaten Palace yes but now we really need a win.

Do you really think we can win at Wolves in the form we are in...and they are in? They have been giant killers. I am hoping the squad surprises me but I'm not confident. They need to play this match like that overused adage 'a cup final'.

Post #497227  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:57 am 

The most concerning headline I have read today is Emery defending Mustafi and describing him as a very good defender; still young and still improving. FFS there is no evidential basis of that at all.
https://www.goal.com/en/news/i-want-to- ... o5fl0d60w0

I understand his need to deflect the heat from Mustafi but if he truly believes any of this I am very concerned that he intends to keep him. It is more of the Wenger era of making players not accountable at all.

Look at Man U after the Everton debacle. Players having to get on social media and apologise and acknowledgements their efforts were not good enough. They lost 4-0 not 8-2. A result from which never once did Wenger, the players or the club apologise. Or did I miss a full blown apology.

The Wolves game is really d-day for the club and in particular our defence but Mustafi in particular.

Post #497228  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:28 am 

Sokratis back for tonight. Emery has been playing back 4’s away from home at times. But he’s also gone ultra conservative with only 3 attacking players recently.

No doubt in my mind that no matter who we are playing now we have to be playing attacking line ups:
If that is 5 at the back or 4 at the back we must be both strikers

Post #497229  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:00 am 

Only 56,251 people at spurs home game last night. There were more at West Ham’s home game this week!

Post #497230  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:11 am 

Rich wrote:
Only 56,251 people at spurs home game last night. There were more at West Ham’s home game this week!

Tottenham's fan base isn't as big as Arsenal's, not by a long way. Who's that wind-up presenter on Talksport associated with being anti-Arsenal even though his wife supports us and he buys her season ticket? I remember, Adrian Durham. Even he said it a few months ago. Most of the Tottenham fans I know admit it.

Post #497231  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:30 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Tottenham's fan base isn't as big as Arsenal's, not by a long way. Who's that wind-up presenter on Talksport associated with being anti-Arsenal even though his wife supports us and he buys her season ticket? I remember, Adrian Durham. Even he said it a few months ago. Most of the Tottenham fans I know admit it.

I wonder how well their corporate side of things will do. It was rumoured that a fully filled club level and boxes at the emirates takes more money per game that the whole of Highbury.
Anyway, how many of the corporate types who like to take clients to games are going to want to consistently trek up to Tottenham, the area isn’t great and the public transport is awful.

Post #497232  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:35 am 

Ok, so here’s my take on who could go and what should come in. Özil and Mkhitaryan are in there based on the need to shift high wages off the book and neither seemingly being Emery men.

Obviously the list is high fantasy and no way can I see this much of a turnaround this summer but you’d have to think at least 8-9 or so of the out list are really on their way. 9 of the ones listed have contributed enough to this season to need to be replaced in the first team

Chambers £20m
Özil £25m
Mustafi £20m
Mkhitaryan £20m
Elneny £10m
Ospina £4m
Bennacer £3m (sell on fee we are due)
Jenkinson £0
Monreal £0
Lichtsteiner £0
Čech £0
Ramsey £0
Welbeck £0
£102m

New back up gk £10m
New LB £20m
New CB £30m
New Ramsey replacement £40m
New left wing £40m
New right wing Nelson £0m
New young striker/wide man £10m
Promote Willock to replace Elneny
£150m

Post #497233  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:14 am 

Rich wrote:

Is that because not enough people wanted to go or was the capacity slightly limited.

I vaguely recall somebody's new stadium operating at slightly below capacity for the first few games as some sort of security measure or something.

Post #497234  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:18 am 

Players out of contract as of 30/06/19:

Welbeck, Saurez (on loan), Monreal, Jenkinson and Lichsteiner.

Čech retiring and Ramsey is off to pastures new.

Koscielny is the only player out of contract as of 30/06/20

We are stuck with Elneny until 30/06/22 but would imagine he's moved on by then.

Post #497235  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:20 am 

Rich wrote:
Ok, so here’s my take on who could go and what should come in. Özil and Mkhitaryan are in there based on the need to shift high wages off the book and neither seemingly being Emery men.

Chambers £20m
Özil £25m
Mustafi £20m
Mkhitaryan £20m
Elneny £10m
Ospina £4m
Bennacer £3m (sell on fee we are due)
Jenkinson £0
Monreal £0
Lichtsteiner £0
Čech £0
Ramsey £0
Welbeck £0
£102m

New back up gk £10m
New LB £20m
New CB £30m
New Ramsey replacement £40m
New left wing £40m
New right wing Nelson £0m
New young striker/wide man £10m
Promote Willock to replace Elneny
£150m

If we lose both Özil and Mkitaryan, we'll need a new creative player as well as a Ramsey replacement. Unless Guendouzi, who despite his recent loss of form I still consider a brilliant prospect, can fill either role, that will be expensive.

Post #497236  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:21 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Argghh! :36angers: Thought Brighton could hold on with some luck. The fact it went this late for sperz to win is surprising given the opposition.

Sperz aren't who we are competing against anyway. I've pretty much conceded 3rd to them. Its Man Utd and Chelsea we have to worry about.

But we're only 4 points behind them with a game in hand. And the squeaked a home win against Brighton. Their form is worse than ours so why the defeatist attitude????

There's every chance we will beat Wolves tonight, if we get a decent side on the pitch we show some purpose and the ball bounces the right way for us. Of course we could easily draw or lose too. Its football.

Post #497237  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Is that because not enough people wanted to go or was the capacity slightly limited.

I vaguely recall somebody's new stadium operating at slightly below capacity for the first few games as some sort of security measure or something.

Possibly, but I think they got 60,000for one game, 2.5k under capacity. It would be strange to cap capacity on a 62,500 stadium to 60,000 for safety measures. Quite a small percentage.

But after spurs made such a fuss of having a stadium with more capacity than ours it will be interesting to see if they actually ever beat our capacity at any point

Post #497238  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:49 pm 

Bernard wrote:
If we lose both Özil and Mkitaryan, we'll need a new creative player as well as a Ramsey replacement. Unless Guendouzi, who despite his recent loss of form I still consider a brilliant prospect, can fill either role, that will be expensive.

Fair comment. Perhaps my £40m left wing can be the versatile creative player who can drift to the wing - we used to have loads of those at one point. There are rumours around a brazilian kid called Martinelli who is left wing/striker for £10m. - or we could give Welbeck a 2 year deal....?

If Özil, Mkhitaryan and Ramsey all leave then we certainly do need some serious investment in those creative positions.

It would leave us with attacking players of Lacazette, Aubamayang, Iwobi, Nelson and youth team players.

I think one thing is for certain is that it should be a very busy summer for Arsenal. Last summer felt quite refreshing, 5 first team transfers and that was before Emery had had chance to assess the squad competitively. No one really knows the transfer budget either. Champions League will certainly bolster it and attract better players so it is absolutely vital we get it

I would guess if we did offload Özil and Mkhitryan then their save on wages could boost the transfer pot(?) It would save £28m in wages alone over 1 season. Theoretically that could add £18m to a transfer kitty and pay £100k per week to 2 new players

Post #497239  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:10 pm 

I think it would be exceptionally hard to sell Özil and mhikitaryan.

Özil is on 350k a week. There’s probably less than 14 clubs in europe or even globally who can pay a salary like that. Plus he’s 30

Henrik is 31 in January on a 170k a week contract plus the club would want a transfer fee for him as his contract has time to run.

I just can’t see anybody coming in and taking these 2 guys off our hands anytime soon. I’ll be shocked if they aren’t with us next year

Post #497240  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:14 pm 

This is kinda interesting to watch. Which nation's players has scored the most in the European cup/CL over the years. Hungary had a ton of goals in the 50s and 60s because of their great teams of that era and then the advent of Brazil later coming into Europe in numbers. Germany always up there though.

https://www.facebook.com/GiveMeSport/vi ... 730222993/

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12428, 12429, 12430, 12431, 12432, 12433, 12434 ... 14269  Next