Fixtures Tuesday April 23rd - Chelsea - Emirates Stadium - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 205 guests

Post #507721  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:54 pm 

Well that lasted longer than expected at least ... :36angers:

Post #507722  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:55 pm 

socrates wrote:
Arteta should have made subs earlier, it was clear a Chelsea goal was coming.

We lost control of the midfield and Luis and Mustafi is just a recipe for disaster I'm afraid.

At fault for the goal. Turned the wrong way. I recall he did the same in a match not so long ago. Mavrapanos must be poor if he can't get ahead of him.

Post #507723  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:57 pm 

Gutting because we put serious effort in. Torreira ran himself daft and Özil finally put a shift in.

If you look at the strength of their bench though versus ours. We just lack a bit of quality. Willock really hasn’t Done much. People will rightly point at the defence but I think we are missing some ball playing midfielders who can provide incisive moments.

I’m still bemused why we don’t utilise Pépé. If you need some legs there’s no point waiting till the 86th minute.

Post #507724  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:57 pm 

Out fouled comfortably yet again but yet we still pick up more yellow cards.

Post #507725  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:58 pm 

socrates wrote:

We lost control of the midfield and Luis and Mustafi is just a recipe for disaster I'm afraid.

It's a goalkeeping error and a goal from a player who shouldn't have been on the pitch.fine margins in these games and the decision not to send off Jorginho was both appalling and crucial.

Post #507726  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

True but unlucky to lose chambers so early. When you’re down and in a bad run don’t expect to catch any breaks because football has a knack of booting you when you’re down not giving you a hand up

When it was clear things weren't going Chelsea's way Lampard hooked Emerson and put on Jorhgino. A lesson learned for Arteta.

Post #507727  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:58 pm 

Bollox excuses. If Lacazette didn't miss so many sitters we'd be better off.

Post #507728  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:59 pm 

Gutted

Post #507729  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:00 pm 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football ... type=share

Post #507730  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:02 pm 

Rich wrote:
Out fouled comfortably yet again but yet we still pick up more yellow cards.

Shocking refereeing.

Post #507731  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:04 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Rich wrote:
True but unlucky to lose chambers so early. When you’re down and in a bad run don’t expect to catch any breaks because football has a knack of booting you when you’re down not giving you a hand up

When it was clear things weren't going Chelsea's way Lampard hooked Emerson and put on Jorhgino. A lesson learned for Arteta.

A substitution which wouldn't have looked clever at all if Jorginho had been sent off, which he should have been.

Post #507732  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:04 pm 

We really need another player who can score goals other than Aubameyang with Lacazette out of form...

Post #507733  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:07 pm 

Shame neither Willock nor Torreira were able to convert the chances...

Post #507734  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gutting because we put serious effort in. Torreira ran himself daft and Özil finally put a shift in.

If you look at the strength of their bench though versus ours. We just lack a bit of quality. Willock really hasn’t Done much. People will rightly point at the defence but I think we are missing some ball playing midfielders who can provide incisive moments.

I’m still bemused why we don’t utilise Pépé. If you need some legs there’s no point waiting till the 86th minute.

Chelsea certainly have a better squad, better individuals and better balance, but we had a lot of players out injured today, Bellerin, kolasinac, Tierney, holding, Sokratis, Xhaka, martinelli

Arteta has made improvements to the shape and workrate but that is the easier part, now we need better players

Post #507735  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:10 pm 

Mustafi has a habit of being turned that way by forwards but he is what he is, brave as a lion but lacking the qualities of a topclass CB.

Post #507736  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:11 pm 

Lampard did well changing Chelsea’s shape but considering we were forced in to an early sub of chambers and had a fairly sparse bench I’m not sure what more Arteta could have done. Should he have changed the shape of a team to something that he probably hasn’t had any time to work with? Does he bring on Pépé who seems to have not yet bought in to the workrate side of things.....the only feasible thing to stem the tide was Willock on to add some more legs.
As a manager there is a fine line, if you’re winning and hanging on and make very defensive subs and draw/lose you get panned, if you hold on to win no one mentions the subs you made.

Post #507737  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:11 pm 

Refereeing, injuries and other Uncle Sally straws aside, Arsenal in twelfth position on 24 points and a minus 4 goal difference after 20 games is an absolute f****g shameful disgrace!!

Post #507738  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:12 pm 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:

It's a goalkeeping error and a goal from a player who shouldn't have been on the pitch.fine margins in these games and the decision not to send off Jorginho was both appalling and crucial.

Absolute stinker to lose in that way. Earlier in the 2nd half Leno was giving Lacazette a right old bollocking about allowing him to get to the ball to punch it clear and then they give him the space and he comes up with that howler.

100% Jorginho should have been off although Guendouzi also escaped a dead set penalty as well.

A rip roaring match although Chelsea totally dominated the 2nd half and Arteta didn't change anything.
Hopefully lessons will be learnt.

But at least I felt something other than apathy in this match and so many positives despite losing.

Post #507739  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:12 pm 

dec wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

A substitution which wouldn't have looked clever at all if Jorginho had been sent off, which he should have been.

Subs were needed earlier, Dec, because it was clear we had run out of legs, the midfield had lost any semblance of control and a Chelsea goal was inevitable without something changing. Chelsea had 65% of the possession second half.

Post #507740  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:15 pm 

For years and years Arsenal have continually been out worked and out run in games, we are not a fit, quick and mobile team. You can’t change fitness levels over night. It’s clear from the two games Arteta has managed is that he’s asking more from the players and they are absolutely gassed at 70 mins. In the long term this is good, give Arteta time and a pre season to absolutely beast these players, ditch those who don’t tow the line and bring in players who already have the natural fitness, desire and workrate and we’ll be far better off.

As for this season it needs to be used for 3 things, 1 make sure we aren’t relegated, 2 go all out for the Europa League, 3 try things out for next season

Post #507741  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:19 pm 

thofman wrote:
Refereeing, injuries and other Uncle Sally straws aside, Arsenal in twelfth position on 24 points and a minus 4 goal difference after 20 games is an absolute f****g shameful disgrace!!

And something that has been coming for the past 10 years, and perfect downward trajectory, getting worse and worse every year. Each decision worse than the last and the need for a complete reset not being taken, even papering over the cracks has had poor decisions.

Not seen a club this badly managed in comparison to their resources and standing in the game since Leeds in 2003(ish) it’s all been coming and now it is coming home to roost. Hard to feel too upset about it because it all feels so inevitable

Post #507742  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:21 pm 

Rich wrote:
For years and years Arsenal have continually been out worked and out run in games, we are not a fit, quick and mobile team. You can’t change fitness levels over night. It’s clear from the two games Arteta has managed is that he’s asking more from the players and they are absolutely gassed at 70 mins. In the long term this is good, give Arteta time and a pre season to absolutely beast these players, ditch those who don’t tow the line and bring in players who already have the natural fitness, desire and workrate and we’ll be far better off.

As for this season it needs to be used for 3 things, 1 make sure we aren’t relegated, 2 go all out for the Europa League, 3 try things out for next season

We were noticeably fatigued, Rich, and you are right we had little on the bench. However, surely Pépé would have been a decent introduction. What we really need is more options in central midfield because Torreira ran his legs off but Guendouzi was poor I thought, especially after having picked up an early yellow.

Can't question the effort, just so frustrating to lose in that manner.

Post #507743  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:22 pm 

Rich wrote:

1 and 3 yes absolutely

2 ? Not on your nelly. That competition is a disease that hampers our league form with the un natural times of games. It’s also a ready made excuse for weak managers like Emery to get wins to pretend they have turned the other hook. I hope we don’t qualify

It’s premier league or bust. Ignore the cups from now on.

Post #507744  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
thofman wrote:

And something that has been coming for the past 10 years, and perfect downward trajectory, getting worse and worse every year. Each decision worse than the last and the need for a complete reset not being taken, even papering over the cracks has had poor decisions.

Not seen a club this badly managed in comparison to their resources and standing in the game since Leeds in 2003(ish) it’s all been coming and now it is coming home to roost. Hard to feel too upset about it because it all feels so inevitable

Indeed.

As an example, if Xhaka leaves without a replacement having already been signed it is just pure stupidity given the lack of resources we have in central midfield.

Post #507745  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

1 and 3 yes absolutely

2 ? Not on your nelly. That competition is a disease that hampers our league form with the un natural times of games. It’s also a ready made excuse for weak managers like Emery to get wins to pretend they have turned the other hook. I hope we don’t qualify

I think he means go all out for the Europa League this season, TG.

Post #507746  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:29 pm 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:

True ... his second foul would have got him a dead set yellow if he hadn't already recieved the first .

The ref bottled it big time ....but Chelsea were the better team they used the ball far more intelligently and a goal was coming , gift wrapped by Leno playing Santa Claus wasn't the best way for it to happen .

Our movement and passing needs to improve massively if we are to compete with anyone .

Bit down with the result but very heartened that Mikel in such a short time has injected some heart into the team .

Couple of decent buys in the transfer window we'll see improvement .
At least relegation will be avoided which I saw as odds on if Emery or Ljungberg had stayed in charge .

The future is bright :26encouragement:

Post #507747  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:30 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

1 and 3 yes absolutely

Ah ok to win it not qualify. Got it.

I can’t see that either :laughing7:

That seems too ludicrous to even contemplate right now.

Post #507748  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:31 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

We were noticeably fatigued, Rich, and you are right we had little on the bench. However, surely Pépé would have been a decent introduction. What we really need is more options in central midfield because Torreira ran his legs off but Guendouzi was poor I thought, especially after having picked up an early yellow.

Can't question the effort, just so frustrating to lose in that manner.

Lacazette was also knackered by the 75th minute. Aubameyang could have gone up top(he deserved a rest by then) with Willock on the left and Pépé on the right. But I think most others are right and there wasn't much could be done to sure up central midfield apart from put on Smith Rowe but that would have been a huge gamble.

Post #507749  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

What does Guendozi do for the team? He is running all over but not effective.

Post #507750  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:43 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

What does Guendozi do for the team? He is running all over but not effective.

I think he’s a work in progress to be honest and his effort can’t be faulted but he generally just provides energy in the middle of the park and recycles the ball not much else.

He’s not a goal scorer by the looks of it and he certainly isn’t a creative attacking midfielder. I think he can do some things well but he’s a development player that should be building up his game by being intermittently being called on to play.

I think if he was around maybe 3 years ago when we had ox, Santi and Wilshere we’d have likely loaned him out to help him develop because he wouldn’t be getting many games.

Post #507751  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:56 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

1 and 3 yes absolutely

He knows that you dopey old klutz ...... and his given his reasons for not wanting Euro football

Let's get our house in order domestically ; so we can sort these uppity little sh**ts like Wolves , Norwich , Watford etc

When we have Euro football ..... a nice little mid week trip to another country , "making sure you passport is valid , I - Pod is fully charged , take your toothbrush etc etc "
provides a distraction which ensures the weekend's loss to one of these minnows is quickly glossed over

.... when it should **&&^%$ burn in their brains forever ......York City , Swindin , Walsall .

Rebuilding the Arsenal where we aren't considered a soft touch by all and sundry .

Post #507752  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:48 pm 

Haven’t come away from a game feeling disappointed like that for a while. That’s a positive at least! I did feel we ran out of steam early in the second half so would have changed things earlier.

Appalling referring for the Jorginho shirt pull. Not even a marginal call, was blatant. Leno has been so good this season it’s a shame he made the error for the equaliser. Mustafi was a disaster for the winner. The guy is just so, so poor. But, we’re down to the bones at the back.

Positives were the kids, Özil and Torriera. Lacazette is bang average right now and I think I would much rather see Martinelli in the side when fit.

It does feel like something has changed though in terms of style and attitude.

Post #507753  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:13 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Willock should have scored. I could have scored that.

Really?

I'd have needed less chances than some people needed to duplicate Bergkamp's FA cup goal vs. Newcastle. :42laughter:

Post #507754  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:20 pm 

socrates wrote:
Mustafi has a habit of being turned that way by forwards but he is what he is, brave as a lion but lacking the qualities of a topclass CB.

Mustafi the lion with Leno and the central defenders.

Attachments:

Post #507755  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:22 pm 

Gut wrenching loss, but the take away is that Arteta has a good system so far and its just a matter of the players being fit enough and getting the right players in the transfer window to fit the system.

Post #507756  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:06 pm 

Could someone please remind me what Bergkamp’s goal against Newcastle in the FA Cup was like? I remember him scoring at St James’ Park in a 0-2 win (Sol Campbell got the other) in the Premier League. But an FA Cup goal against Newcastle escapes me.

Post #507757  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

1 and 3 yes absolutely

I think we have a chance of winning Europa that has to be taken, a massive step in rebuilding this club is getting champions league football back, even if we fail to get out of the group and it costs us a few points in the league the money that champions league brings in (I think all English teams will earn £60-70m minimum this season) will be much better for us in the long run.

When Arsenal needed resetting every decision should have been against a long term plan, too many decisions have been panic decisions to thrust us back in to the champions league whilst we buried our head in the sand with more pressing matters

Post #507758  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:50 pm 

Well, my wish for at least beating Chelsea looked decent for most of the match. We'll take another bite of the apple vs. Man Utd.

Post #507759  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:13 pm 

Yep , great energy levels in the team which was the only positive I saw in the match. Last year we actually won this match. Refereeing terrible but some of the misses when we had chances was a real problem. I was pissed off we didn’t get a win but once Leno made a mistake the momentum continued only one way.

Tactically our manager was not up to it. Every player on that pitch is capable of real howlers that cost the team big time and the regularity of it is disturbing.

I saw good things today but in reality Arteta will need a run of wins from here or he could be gone by Easter. Because we look like a third rate team.

Man Utd - a must win. A draw would not be good enough.

Post #507760  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:15 pm 

Torriera has a fine game but he lost Jorginho for the goal. Obviously the main mistake is Leno, and I’d have to check if Jorginho hauled down as they jostled for position. Having seen it a few times I’d be surprised if a pen was given so you can’t expect a free kick.

[ 571903 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12691, 12692, 12693, 12694, 12695, 12696, 12697 ... 14298  Next