Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 107 guests

Post #507521  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
Lacazette has to score there. Finishing has been really poor today. Could have even gone down and got their man sent off

We would not have got a penalty. Lacazette is known to dive too easily.

Post #507522  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:37 pm 

Looks like Pépé is coming on

Post #507523  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:37 pm 

Lucky us

Post #507524  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:38 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Lacazette has to score there. Finishing has been really poor today. Could have even gone down and got their man sent off

We would not have got a penalty. Lacazette is known to dive too easily.

No pen as outside the box but clean through so would have been a red

Post #507525  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:38 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Thank God the transfer window is just around the corner .

You thinking Arteta will want to transfer somewhere else ?

Post #507526  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:44 pm 

Filthy foul on Pépé, surprised the ref gave it as he hasn’t given us much in the last 15

Post #507527  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:45 pm 

That was a reducer on Pépé from Lewis Cook. Sliding in from behind really nasty. Pépé suddenly doing a lot less

Post #507528  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:45 pm 

Saka and Nelson really need to improve their delivery from wide areas. I can understand why we cross so little as a team. No one can!

Post #507529  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:50 pm 

So so careless on the counter. We’ve had countless opportunities. And can only shoot tamely at the gk

Post #507530  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:51 pm 

Proper home ref since we’ve scored. Joke yellow for Lacazette, doesn’t even attempt the tackle

Post #507531  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:51 pm 

Pépé should be a starter. Saks is not a FB.

Post #507532  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:52 pm 

Ref didn't give us anything. He's such a *%^@........

Post #507533  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:53 pm 

Lump the ball forward for one last attack in the last minute. Instead, they pass round the back. Disappointing lack of urgency.

Post #507534  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:53 pm 

Referee telling Leno to wait before taking the free kick doing Kings job for him wasting time then immediately blows the whistle. Some of this refereeing just seems to play into the hands of clogger football.

Post #507535  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:58 pm 

Ash wrote:
Referee telling Leno to wait before taking the free kick doing Kings job for him wasting time then immediately blows the whistle. Some of this refereeing just seems to play into the hands of clogger football.

Such a pet peeve of mine. So many refs know the rules but lack any basic understanding of the game or the mindset of footballers.

Post #507536  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:14 pm 

Ash wrote:

:laughing7: To focus on something that happened in the 94 minute ..when as G7 points out we were hardly brimming with urgency just prior .

I thought the ref had quite a good game let the game flow wasn't conned by our serial floppers Lacazette and Torriera . When bodies collided he didn't dish out free kicks .

Aubameyang's goal celebration was more fitting for winning the final of the Champions league rather than an equaliser at Bournemouth .... bit strange .

Good start for Mikel .... application much better at the start although we lapsed back into our time wasting ways near the end .

Hindsight call ... might have been a game changer if he's introduced Pépé a lot earlier when Nelson was having a horror show .

Post #507537  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:16 pm 

Leicester beat Pool, and it will be a good day

Post #507538  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:24 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Ash wrote:

:laughing7: To focus on something that happened in the 94 minute ..when as G7 points out we were hardly brimming with urgency just prior .

I thought the ref had quite a good game let the game flow wasn't conned by our serial floppers Lacazette and Torriera . When bodies collided he didn't dish out free kicks .

Aubameyang's goal celebration was more fitting for winning the final of the Champions league rather than an equaliser at Bournemouth .... bit strange .

Good start for Mikel .... application much better at the start although we lapsed back into our time wasting ways near the end .

Hindsight call ... might have been a game changer if he's introduced Pépé a lot earlier when Nelson was having a horror show .

Why, they would have just put in earlier reducers with some impunity and pushed him out of the game, and good on them and the ref from your point of view :rollseyes:

Post #507539  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:33 pm 

Happy to see a lot more fight and effort than the last few months. Frustrating watching the misplaced passes and erratic shots and crosses but that damage has been done over months so expecting it to change after 2 training sessions is too much to ask.

Arteta has a very tough job of trying to keep the teams heads up when they have some tough matches coming up and results might be similar today or likely worse.

Lots of problems to fix which Arteta acknowledged in the interview so can only work on a few at a time. At least saw improvments in 2 of the most important ones.

A bit of luck and a bit of confidence and a couple of those chances today would have been buried.

I'm hopeful for the future but equally think it will take time.

Post #507540  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:08 pm 

Ash wrote:
and good on them and the ref from your point of view :rollseyes:

My apologies Ash ....
You see when I first started watching English soccer it was a man's game never mind the names of the normal hard arses like Norman Hunter , Storey , McKay , Harris etc that usually get bandied around ...

There were others ; every team had them Jim Holton . Joe Jordan , David Cross . Billy Bonds , Mike England , Peter Osgood , Larry Lloyd , Kenny Burns , Bob Latchford , Kenny Hibbett , Alan Ball , Bobby Moncur , Mick Mills , Tommy Smith , John Toshak
Guys who dished it out and took their punishment in equal measure and didn't fall over in a great heap feigning injury every time there was " a coming together "

Quite correct to roll your eyes .

Post #507541  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:25 pm 

Lacazette lacking confidence in front of goal? Aubameyang central and Pépé/Martinelli wide instead next game? We need the rest to start contributing goals - can't always rely on Aubameyang.

Post #507542  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:34 pm 

Well the positives were Arteta has already had an effect on the squad in just 3 training sessions. The work rate and attitude were a marked improvement on recent games. Also it was noticeable how the ball moved forward much more quickly and there is the obvious stat that we had more attempts on goal than any away game this season.
I thought Torreira was very good breaking up play, Xhaka was decent alongside him passing the ball quickly and forward. Özil, particularly first half found acres of space between the lines.

The negatives were the lack of confidence when we were in the penalty area and the final ball from wide positions. Lacazette was the main culprit. I’ve said it before but I think in our entire squad I would only rely on to hit a shot cleanly, with power and on target is Aubameyang.

I can see Nelson was probably picked over Pépé for his tracking back but Pépé is a much bigger threat going forward. At the moment it’s tough to pick Pépé and Özil in the same team, but that’s what Arteta needs to change

Post #507543  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:46 pm 

Amazing how often Liverpool’s front 3 make something happen from what I’d consider a bit of a punt downfield from their defenders. They play a lot of long accurate passes as well but those front 3 are so intelligent, mobile and hungry. They know how to use their body to beat the bigger man to a punted ball

Post #507544  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:56 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Ash wrote:
and good on them and the ref from your point of view :rollseyes:

My apologies Ash ....
You see when I first started watching English soccer it was a man's game never mind the names of the normal hard arses like Norman Hunter , Storey , McKay , Harris etc that usually get bandied around ...

There were others ; every team had them Jim Holton . Joe Jordan , David Cross . Billy Bonds , Mike England , Peter Osgood , Larry Lloyd , Kenny Burns , Bob Latchford , Kenny Hibbett , Alan Ball , Bobby Moncur , Mick Mills , Tommy Smith , John Toshak
Guys who dished it out and took their punishment in equal measure and didn't fall over in a great heap feigning injury every time there was " a coming together "

Yes I’m sure Pépé is a RADA trained actor with that performance of fakery after Cook took him out from behind at pace and then followed through. Oh for the days when players like him had their sights lowered and their legs snapped for trying anything as poncey as... trying a skill... or beating their man with ...actual footballing ability, oh the horror.

You can’t encourage the skill based side of the game without clamping down on the reducer which is a cowards way to play. And guess what you get booked for diving too nowadays. Probably why there wasn’t any in this game.

Post #507545  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:00 pm 

Rich wrote:
Amazing how often Liverpool’s front 3 make something happen from what I’d consider a bit of a punt downfield from their defenders. They play a lot of long accurate passes as well but those front 3 are so intelligent, mobile and hungry. They know how to use their body to beat the bigger man to a punted ball

Everytime those balls get fired up to Salah Mané and Firminiho I’m constantly amazed when they control it as I’m far more used to it just bouncing out. They get immediate attacking possession That front three are astonishing frankly. B*stards :laughing7:

Post #507546  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:30 pm 

Wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool ends up unbeaten, maybe 3 or draws, well over 100 and possibly even a treble. 30 years from their last title, the press going ape sh*t. And us? Don't want to think about it.

Post #507547  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:31 pm 

So, what are you expecting from Arteta for the rest of the season to say he ended the season successfully?

Post #507548  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:34 pm 

For me, beat Tottenham and either Chelsea or Man Utd but not lose to any of them. If we go on a bit of a run with a bit luck finish ahead of Tottenham and Man Utd but that's asking for too much.

Post #507549  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:40 pm 

My goals for Arteta is assuming that we have gotten some intangibles like 'belief'. We can see the attitude changing.

Post #507550  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:46 am 

I'm completely guessing but just how it appears to me. It seems that Emery was 'controlled' by the club. I don't think he felt or even had much say. However, I don't get that with Mikel. I think he will be a bit more vocal and likely given more latitude than Emery. I hope he is.

It also seems we will have a more active January window than we expect. I wouldn't be shocked to see Özil, Xhaka, Mustafi and Aubameyang gone. And a few players coming in, possibly some stop gap players to get us to the summer and then the big buying happening then.

I hope the Napoli defender rumors are true. Really hoping.

Post #507551  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:51 am 

If Liverpool lose a match, its probably going to be a game no one expects them to lose or even draw.
https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... 0-17477204

Post #507552  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:03 am 

I wish The Sun was more reliable.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... a-zarzana/

Post #507553  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:39 am 

Ash wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
My apologies Ash ....

Yes I’m sure Pépé is a RADA trained actor with that performance of fakery after Cook took him out from behind at pace and then followed through. Oh for the days when players like him had their sights lowered and their legs snapped for trying anything as poncey as... trying a skill... or beating their man with ...actual footballing ability, oh the horror.

You can’t encourage the skill based side of the game without clamping down on the reducer which is a cowards way to play. And guess what you get booked for diving too nowadays. Probably why there wasn’t any in this game.

Alright get off your high horse ... I didn't actually see the 'reducer' I was in and out getting myself some breakfast .

Post #507554  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:06 am 

One of my first impressions of Pépé is that he needs to toughen up a bit and cut out the histrionics. However, the last few matches he has been on the receiving end of 2 borderline dangerous fouls at speed which could easily have seen him suffer a serious injury. Let’s hope the refs protect him as it looks like it may be an opposition tactic.

Post #507555  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:20 am 

Greeny, join the club (a pretty big one). I strongly suspect you are blocked by our friend from across the Atlantic. You probably were yesterday but if not, I’m sure you will be now.

Post #507556  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:33 am 

Just watched extended highlights Leicester v Liverpool .... we could very easily do the same as Liverpool ...all we have to do is
[a] up the accuracy of our passing
[b] control the ball better
[c] shoot far more crisply .and on target
[d] shoot whenever the chance arrives
[e] and attack at pace ... I mean we are nearly there .
Liverpool have 79 points out of a possible 81 .

I'm going out on a limb and make a Socretean type prediction here ...... I reckon they'll win the title .

Post #507557  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:08 am 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

Everytime those balls get fired up to Salah Mané and Firminiho I’m constantly amazed when they control it as I’m far more used to it just bouncing out. They get immediate attacking possession That front three are astonishing frankly. B*stards :laughing7:

So Klopp has watched Wimbledon videos and now all is amazing in the world. He didn't discover it. You just have to have the right players for your system.

Post #507558  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:26 am 

Really would hate losing to Chelsea....again...but we are dire. Too soon for Mikel to turn us around in time. I'd take a draw right now. I often said I would take mid table if it meant we were eventually going in the right direction. Mikel seems to be the right direction as much as I liked Emery.
till, this all starts at the top and eventually a decision will have to made where we can't go to the next level (assuming we turn things around) unless the Kroenke's spend. I think Josh will but not his father.

Post #507559  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:55 am 

Fair play to Liverpool. I always envisioned City to be the one in their position. Bottomless financing. The best manager in the world. But credit to Klopp and the Liverpool board for going along. i recall people on here saying Klopp wouldn't be a good manager for us. Especially when he had a bad season at Dortmund. And its not like they have more money than anyone else. City has more monetary resources for sure. I'd be surprised if Man Utd doesn't have more and even Chelsea even though Roman has backed away a bit.

Post #507560  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:22 am 

Greeny wrote:
I'm looking forward to my almost annual greek holiday watching olympiakos v. The Arsenal, but I'm not sure if maybe missing out on Europe for one season might not be exactly what we need.

Let's imagine we don't win the Europa League and finish outside the European places. What would happen?

Aubameyang etc., would probably leave, but with the cash made available we could invest in some players and build something here with Arteta.

We need a major shake-up, that seems to be clear to everyone. Kroenke isn't going, and we have to rebuild. OK. So we're starting now, and I can't wait for the transfer window to open.

Happy Days!

At this point in time, I am more concern about relegation. Our form is relegation form. The team has been unable to find the winning form. Very scary situation.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12686, 12687, 12688, 12689, 12690, 12691, 12692 ... 14269  Next