Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 38 guests

Post #480081  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:00 pm 

http://news.arseblog.com/2018/01/report ... m=facebook

Quote:
According to the Mirror, Arsenal could sell Francis Coquelin before the January transfer window closes.

Post #480082  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:09 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Daz wrote:

Literally is a figure of speech.

Although he might mean literally in the strictest sense anyway - it's hard to think of something that isn't right now.

Say it ain't so, Daz. If you concede - and you're throwing in the biggest, wettest, saddest, defeatistest towel if you do - that 'literally' can now mean either its accepted definition for a millennium - i.e. 'literally' - or its precise opposite as determined in recent years by idiots - i.e. 'not literally' - where does this leave us vis-a-vis your own relationship with language and with truth? Much like John Lennon with the Maharishi, I'm feeling a little violated right now.

That's literally an over-reaction, McQ. I don't mind literally used as an emphasiser so much because we accept many such hyperbolic devices and I find it slightly pedantic to obsess over it when everybody knows what the speaker means. Did Jay Gatsby literally glow as Fitzgerald said he did?

Things that annoy me far more:

Whilst

Data as singular

Methinks/hubby/chrimbo/see you anon/nibbles

Your/you're

Post #480083  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:10 pm 

Assuming that 4th place looks unlikely given how poorly the team is playing, surely winning the Europa League is Wenger's only possible salvation?

Post #480084  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:11 pm 

Our neighbours invited us round for Chrimbo drinks and nibbles and I had to be dragged there kicking and screaming.

Post #480085  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm 

I also hate the way my kids start every bloody sentence with "wait" and "so".

"Wait does that mean he's not playing Vibe and Sawyers" for example.

Post #480086  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:16 pm 

I don't feel that angry with Wenger over selection actually. Having big players on the bench doesn't always work when you fall behind, they can struggle to make an impact as Brentford discovered to their cost on Saturday.

Post #480087  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:17 pm 

john1 wrote:
I used to be a free kick geek back in the 70s. Spent hours practising them with my school goalie mate. The only time I managed an effect like that pen was when I slipped and double hit.

All the rest were top ins.... :icon_smile11:

Post #480088  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:21 pm 

Bored wrote:
Assuming that 4th place looks unlikely given how poorly the team is playing, surely winning the Europa League is Wenger's only possible salvation?

I would say so yes, I don't think the company (sorry, club?) would value it though if not for the fact that it is a passport back into the CL, however there are still some decent(ish) teams in it, especially AM, so I think the odds are against him, as much as I'd like to win the EL I would have to sacrifice it if it mean't more time for Wenger to endulge his fantasy about winning the CL, as with the FA cup wins it's just not a price worth paying.

Post #480089  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:28 pm 

Wenger won't win the Europa. He's hopeless at 2 legged ties and Milan,Lazio and others are still in the competition.

We seem to be selling Sanchez as well in January who has played a key role in winning the recent fa cups. Unless he is replaced in January with a serious match winner I can't see us having enough firepower going forward to win the league cup given Chelsea and city block our way or Europa.

We are surely finishing this year potless

Post #480090  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:35 pm 

Daz wrote:
I don't mind literally used as an emphasiser so much

How about "everything literally everything" as an emphasiser?

Post #480091  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:36 pm 

Daz wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Say it ain't so, Daz. If you concede - and you're throwing in the biggest, wettest, saddest, defeatistest towel if you do - that 'literally' can now mean either its accepted definition for a millennium - i.e. 'literally' - or its precise opposite as determined in recent years by idiots - i.e. 'not literally' - where does this leave us vis-a-vis your own relationship with language and with truth? Much like John Lennon with the Maharishi, I'm feeling a little violated right now.

That's literally an over-reaction, McQ. I don't mind literally used as an emphasiser so much because we accept many such hyperbolic devices and I find it slightly pedantic to obsess over it when everybody knows what the speaker means. Did Jay Gatsby literally glow as Fitzgerald said he did?

Things that annoy me far more:

Whilst

Data as singular

Methinks/hubby/chrimbo/see you anon/nibbles

Your/you're

I hear you, Daz. I saw a few 'whilsts' today in something I'm editing at work, and wondered whether I should literally sound the alarm. I didn't, though, because I don't have an alarm - so how could I sound it? Anyway, the book is about the First World War, so the usually overly formal 'whilst' kind of seemed in context. As for the likes of 'methinks/hubby/chrimbo/see you anon/nibbles', they're what are known in the book-publishing trade as Pommy words and should be avoided at all costs. As a rule of thumb, we try to imagine Dennis Lillee or Jeff Thomson uttering the phrase: if we can't picture Thommo casually chatting about nibbles, hubbies or chrimbo, it's out the window, mate. Quick smart.

Post #480092  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:48 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
wondered whether I should literally sound the alarm. I didn't, though, because I don't have an alarm - so how could I sound it?

Apps\Clock

Post #480093  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Wenger won't win the Europa. He's hopeless at 2 legged ties and Milan,Lazio and others are still in the competition.

Milan and Lazio aren't any great shakes.

Post #480094  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:55 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
As a rule of thumb, we try to imagine Dennis Lillee or Jeff Thomson uttering the phrase: if we can't picture Thommo casually chatting about nibbles, hubbies or chrimbo, it's out the window, mate. Quick smart.

Jeff Thomson played for Middlesex. Don't recall Lillee ever joining an English county (or Welsh with Glamorgan).

Post #480095  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 pm 

Niall wrote:
john1 wrote:
I used to be a free kick geek back in the 70s. Spent hours practising them with my school goalie mate. The only time I managed an effect like that pen was when I slipped and double hit.

All the rest were top ins.... :icon_smile11:

Of course! Wasn't known as Zico for nothing. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #480096  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:58 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
I hear you, Daz.

Good point - that too.

Post #480097  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:03 pm 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Are they better than forest ?

Athletico?

Post #480098  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 pm 

Daz wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
I hear you, Daz.

Good point - that too.

And that Aussie (?) thing of making every sentence sound like a question? You know? I was walking down the street? And a man came along? Asked me if I was known as Zico in my youth? So I said, like, yes?

Post #480099  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:10 pm 

john1 wrote:
Daz wrote:

Good point - that too.

And that Aussie (?) thing of making every sentence sound like a question? You know? I was walking down the street? And a man came along? Asked me if I was known as Zico in my youth? So I said, like, yes?

I was pretty sick last week. Was worried I may have picked up that Aussie flu that was doing the rounds. Knew a sneeze was on the way and wow when it came....."AAAAAAchoo, ya big gallah, AAAAchoo, ya bleedin' drongo, AAAAAAchoo, fair dinkum!".....think I'm all right now but my jokes haven't got any better.

Post #480100  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Niall wrote:

Are they better than forest ?

Debatable.

Post #480101  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:34 pm 

Niall wrote:
http://news.arseblog.com/2018/01/report-arsenal-ready-to-let-go-of-their-coq/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Quote:
According to the Mirror, Arsenal could sell Francis Coquelin before the January transfer window closes.

I thought the line about Coq's only start in the prem being away to Man City......as a centre back was funny. What on earth was wenger doing with his selection that day? No lacazette like Anfield I seem to remember as well.

Also the line Keown said in an earlier article link "you're always the last one to admit/know that you are past it"........Keown meant it for Mertesacker but it is more apt for Wenger as we know Per has called it quits at the end of the season

Post #480102  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:47 pm 

A small playlist for Arsene....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlTJrNJ5lA[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVT_3PEgDIM[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8_alfIHYI[/youtube]

Post #480103  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:49 pm 

I'm not sure chasing 30 year old Jonny Evans or 29 year ols Mahrez is exactly what we need right now - especially as the prices quoted would be a combined £60m!

Post #480104  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:22 pm 

Niall wrote:

We need to expand this.

https://open.spotify.com/user/hazuki/pl ... 6BjHLZChKd

Post #480105  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:23 pm 

Rich wrote:
Also the line Keown said in an earlier article link "you're always the last one to admit/know that you are past it"........Keown meant it for Mertesacker but it is more apt for Wenger as we know Per has called it quits at the end of the season

Keown is a tosser if he meant Mertesacker when saying that. Per was intending to retire last summer to go out on a high after the cup final. Wenger, someone who knows nothing about going at the right time, wanted him to give it this season before retiring as a player.

Post #480106  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 pm 

Shame on the FA for giving Wenger a 3 match touchline ban. I was hoping for a 6 month stadium ban.

Post #480107  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Niall wrote:

We need to expand this.

https://open.spotify.com/user/hazuki/pl ... 6BjHLZChKd

Love it!

Post #480108  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:39 pm 

Niall wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Love it!

So many - only got halfway through my playlist and some gems:

Everything's Ruined - FNM
Bad Habit - Foals (Alex Metric remix)
Happy Endings - Pulp
I Know Its Over - Smiths
Over Now - Alice In Chains
Feels Like We Only Go Backwards - Tame Impala
Shut Up and Let Me Go - Ting Tings
Basket Case - Green Day
The End Has No End - Strokes
If You Don't Want Me To Destroy You - S.Furry.A
A Head Full Of Dreams - Coldplay
Ful Stop - Radiohead
Why Go - Pearl Jam
Running To Stand Still - U2
Don't You Want Me - Human League
I Won't Let The Sun Go Down on Me - Nik Kershaw
You're History - Shakespears Sister
(It's Not War) Just The End of Love - Manics
Pedestrian At Best - Courtney Barnett

Post #480109  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:15 pm 

Bellerin needs to be transferred immediately. Totally disappeared up his own arse.

Off with his head. Liberation needed

Attachments:

Post #480110  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:25 pm 

Yes, how dare Bellerin look like he belongs to his own generation. And what about this instagram nonsense. We didn't have that when I was growing up so therefore it is bad.

Post #480111  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:35 pm 

I just watched the game again.

It's so odd for the second penalty kick. Both the comms said "It was a double kick and it should have been retaken".
Then they say it again a minute later about it should have been retaken.

and then a third time - "Two touches, it should have been retaken ..."
You'd think they'd know the rules.

Post #480112  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:48 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Yes, how dare Bellerin look like he belongs to his own generation. And what about this instagram nonsense. We didn't have that when I was growing up so therefore it is bad.

That belongs to no generation my friend. Shalom

Post #480113  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:57 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

That belongs to no generation my friend. Shalom

What generation is that? - Rupert Bear crossed with a Gnome?.

Post #480114  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 pm 

warrior wrote:
I just watched the game again.

*%^@*** hell !

Why the *%^@ would you do that! :laughing7:

Post #480115  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz, I couldn't see anything to suggest Welbeck's shot was going wide before being deflected in. His shot looked on target as far as I could see.

I also agree with Daz. VAR shouldn't have seen the penalty retaken. The evidence that he kicked it twice simply wasn't hard enough.

Very true. Because there is no way in the laws of the game that it should have been retaken if it was a double kick.

Post #480116  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:10 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Your view is based on an assumption that this is the only way the ball could have loped up like that. You nor the refs are not experts in this field, if there is such an area of study. It is not based on physical evidence that shows 2 kicks. Without that the decision could not be overturned. The ref got it right as did the linesman.

Seriously? He hits it with the instep of his left foot, it cannot possibly take the trajectory it did without a deflection, which on replay you can clearly see.

What if ..BECAUSE he slipped ......he kicked up the face of the ball instead of through it thus imparting top spin [ that's how it works in tennis ] wouldn't that produce the same result as the supposed double touch .

Post #480117  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:15 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bellerin needs to be transferred immediately. Totally disappeared up his own arse.

Off with his head. Liberation needed

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqXrAHuLksU[/youtube]

And when he pulls his frilly nylon panties right up tight.... I fear it will do little to assuage the envy of the northern refs.

Post #480118  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:22 pm 

To be honest our fashion sense can't also be winning the hearts and minds of these northern refs too. I'm pretty sure if Mike Dean glances at Bellerin arriving for the game in the tunnel dressed as a Rupert the bear themed Gardon gnome it wouldn't appeal to his northern grit.

This must be helping the referees association in their never ending genocidal quest to wipe out our club.

Post #480119  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:33 pm 

Daz wrote:
Everybody thinks Mike Dean was wrong to give that penalty. It was a hard one to deny. We all KNOW that some penalties are incorrectly given or not given, it's hardly major news. Happens in all sports even with technology. Saw an absurd one in the Lions v All Blacks at the death when NZ not given a clear penalty for offside that would have given them the series (just for you, KP!)

Yeah thanks Cobber ... I'd forgotten that ..the ultimate in screaming injustices ; would have won the series if not for that .
I loved Gatland when he was part of a very famous forward pack playing for my home team Waikato in the early 90s , but now he seems to have forgotten his Kiwi roots and turned into a snivelling little Quisling .

... but I moved on too much happening in life .

Yesterday a turkey arrives to check out building a new fence between us and the neighbours , I'm at the Op Shop .. wife says to him we agreed to get rid of that tree .... it's a source of ivy and all manner of sheight which will cover the new fence if left

" Whoa God ..... I dont fancy that , it's a big mother " ... he goes home "I'll be back in a week ".

I go out , climb a ladder ; tie two ropes high up the trunk ... hook it to tow bar of the Maxima ... take the weight ..a decent notch at the base ..... REV ... CRASH ... it's down .

Post #480120  Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:53 pm 

john1 wrote:
Daz wrote:

I know "I don't know" is an unfashionable term but I truly don't know. I do think it was almost a bizarre case of the slip bringing his feet together simultaneously and I don't know what the rules say on that. Is the "loop" only explicable by the second foot or could falling backwards provide that kind of uplift? I'm not a physicist so I don't know and I think the point Gaz is reasonably making is neither would the VAR refs so they would probably in the moment stick with a goal with no clear and decisive evidence to overturn. Obviously we may all disagree on what is clear and decisive but a bit like "umpire's call" in cricket we will just have to live with some decisions that are questionable not being overturned.

I used to be a free kick geek back in the 70s. Spent hours practising them with my school goalie mate.

The only time I managed an effect like that pen was when I slipped and double hit. No way that ball does that without hitting his other foot. Physics would suggest the same too. (The look on the Forest player's face suggests also that he thought it was a fluke)

not hard to put this one to bed .... free kick Geek you may well have been but were you any good ...?

Those half dozen admiring sheilas in their gym slips , hands clasped , ready to swoon " Oh John you are so talented " on the sidelines doesn't mean you reached Denis Bergkamp status .

The look on his face doesn't suggest a fluke ... he was laughing because in spite of the slip he still managed to put the ball in the net .

Plenty of our players Iwobi , Bellerin , Welbeck get the ball three as high as that with firm footing .

[ 570665 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12000, 12001, 12002, 12003, 12004, 12005, 12006 ... 14267  Next