Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 100 guests

Post #503441  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:55 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Really great showing again from the second string eleven. I think a big difference between this side and our starting eleven is how they're playing without any pressure, they can just go out and play.

Martinelli motm obviously, he looks like this years Guendozi in the way he comes from absolutely nowhere and plays without any fear. He just looks like he belongs on this level. Thought Nelson did better as well, lots of things still doesn't come off for him but he looked more direct and full of confidence. Willock very good again, Tierney should have the left back spot nailed down as soon as he's completely match fit. Holding needs to go straight back into central defense as well, Sokratis and Luiz just doesn't work well as a pair.

Lots to be positive about. We could actually be looking at a situation where 3 or maybe 4 players from the same youth crop becomes regular players for us. Thet's extremely rare these days.

Plus even the ones that don’t make the first team will sell for big money. I think the new admin at Arsenal will make sure we have a lot more sell on clauses for those that go.

Post #503442  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:13 am 

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2019/10/0 ... -transfer/
‘Agent Lacazette’ – Some Arsenal fans think star man can help seal quality £53m transfer

Aouar has been earning rave reviews for his fine performances for Lyon, the classy midfielder is one of Lacazette’s former teammates.
The 21-year-old will be on the brink of being called up to France’s senior squad if he can continue to impress in Ligue 1,

Post #503443  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:14 am 

While I wouldn't mind making our midfield stronger, I'd love to read similar stories about rumors for top central defenders

Post #503444  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:45 am 

Very impressive performance last night. Every single player did well, without exception from Mustafi to Nelson. Martinelli was the star of the show and it’ll be interesting to see his progression. Could his development, if it continues, lead to a willingness to cash in on Lacazette in the not too distant future?

I think it was Hazuki who pointed out the other day that Nelson has gone from arguably the youngster most likely to make it to further down the pecking order. But credit to him; I don’t remember him having a better game in the first team than that before.

Am I right in thinking Manchester United poached a kid called Willock from us a while back? Maybe a year or two, although I’m not sure when? Or am I imagining it? If not, what happened to the brother (I assume) there? Anyway, if a brother did go there, I’m glad it wasn’t Joe that Manchester United signed. Having said that, I think it’s ridiculously early for anyone to start comparing Willock to Vieira, which I noticed someone (was it gooner7) do? His physical presence and ball winning potential is light years behind Vieira.

Post #503445  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:09 am 

Bernard wrote:

Am I right in thinking Manchester United poached a kid called Willock from us a while back? Maybe a year or two, although I’m not sure when? Or am I imagining it? Having said that, I think it’s way too early for anyone to start comparing Willock to Vieira, which I noticed someone (was it gooner7) do?

I think you are correct that Man U did poach one of the Willock brothers from Arsenal. Not sure what happened to him as I think he was highly rated.
I agree also, that its waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to start comparing Willock to Vieira. Vieira was one of the finest midfielder's of his generation with wonderful power, grace and remarkable consistency. Willock is very promising and looks to have a good career ahead of him, but there is a very long road ahead until he can be placed alongside PV4.

Post #503446  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:40 am 

Bernard wrote:
Am I right in thinking Manchester United poached a kid called Willock from us a while back? Maybe a year or two, although I’m not sure when? Or am I imagining it? If not, what happened to the brother (I assume) there? Anyway, if a brother did go there, I’m glad it wasn’t Joe that Manchester United signed. Having said that, I think it’s ridiculously early for anyone to start comparing Willock to Vieira, which I noticed someone (was it gooner7) do? His physical presence and ball winning potential is light years behind Vieira.

You are referring to the oldest of the 3 Willock brothers, Matthew.
He wasn't poached - we didn't offering him a scholarship and they stepped in.
He's a lovely lad, but unfortunately not at the same level as the younger 2.

He was given a couple of relatively low level professional contracts by united and spent his entire time there outside of the 1st team group.

They released him this summer and he has now joined Gillingham, which is probably his level.

Post #503447  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:54 am 

long time gooner wrote:
What a cracking goal!!!
Yes, that was Radford-good.

Post #503448  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:58 am 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Willock can progress into the same level as Viera

That is some prediction!! If Willock becomes even half the player Vieira was he’ll be a very good player for us.
Vieira for me was one of if not the best central mid in the world at his peak. You don’t get central mids like him in the game anywhere anymore. You’re a destroyer like kante, deep passer like de Bruyne or a box to box late arrival in the box like alli (when he was good) Vieira was all 3 and would destroy the current CM in the league
Yes, Paddy was a one-off - the complete midfielder in every respect. He could do it all at the age when most players are still learning.

Post #503449  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:05 am 

Ash wrote:
John Hartson I thought would have praised that astonishing header for the first goal a bit more considering his MO when he was playing, for a player described as winger before and after he signed that's, as i say, astonishing...
Indeed. I know my references back to John Radford might prove tiresome, but Big John began as a winger until his phenomenal holding up and heading skills turned him into one of our great strikers. Martinelli knows how to head a ball. That goal reminded me of Shearer at his deadliest.

All big praise - let's not kibosh the lad!

Post #503450  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:08 am 

socrates wrote:
Standard were very poor...
Sub-Standard Lieige?

Post #503451  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:12 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

You are referring to the oldest of the 3 Willock brothers, Matthew.
He wasn't poached - we didn't offering him a scholarship and they stepped in.
He's a lovely lad, but unfortunately not at the same level as the younger 2.

He was given a couple of relatively low level professional contracts by united and spent his entire time there outside of the 1st team group.

They released him this summer and he has now joined Gillingham, which is probably his level.

Thanks Hodd.

Post #503452  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:18 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Ash wrote:
John Hartson I thought would have praised that astonishing header for the first goal a bit more considering his MO when he was playing, for a player described as winger before and after he signed that's, as i say, astonishing...
Indeed. I know my references back to John Radford might prove tiresome, but Big John began as a winger until his phenomenal holding up and heading skills turned him into one of our great strikers. Martinelli knows how to head a ball. That goal reminded me of Shearer at his deadliest.

Your defences to Radford are not tiresome to me, at all. With regards traditional tall centre forwards who were strong in the air, I rate him and Stapleton as the best two I’ve seen in an Arsenal shirt - so even ahead of Smith. You’re right, he did start on the right.

Post #503453  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:50 am 

Bored wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Am I right in thinking Manchester United poached a kid called Willock from us a while back? Maybe a year or two, although I’m not sure when? Or am I imagining it? Having said that, I think it’s way too early for anyone to start comparing Willock to Vieira, which I noticed someone (was it gooner7) do?

I think you are correct that Man U did poach one of the Willock brothers from Arsenal. Not sure what happened to him as I think he was highly rated.
I agree also, that its waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to start comparing Willock to Vieira. Vieira was one of the finest midfielder's of his generation with wonderful power, grace and remarkable consistency. Willock is very promising and looks to have a good career ahead of him, but there is a very long road ahead until he can be placed alongside PV4.

He seems more attacking minded than Paddy to me, bit more Rocastle?

Post #503454  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:20 pm 

Whilst it was great to see Bellerin back in action for us, I think some of his play serve as a reminder to us fans that he's been out for a very long time and we can't expect him to get back to his top level immediately no matter how desperate we are for him to.
There were a few misplaced passes or a bad touch, generally he had a good game - and those little things will come back. It is just a reminder that we can sometimes expect someone to hit the ground running after an injury and it isn't realistic.
Tierney was fantastic but his injury lay off was nowhere near as serious or as long.

Bellerin's minutes will still need to be carefully managed and I wouldn't expect him to start v Bournemouth this weekend as he played 90 minutes and there is a 2 week international break around the corner to build his fitness. Full-back isn't really a position where you have a pre-planned substitute if someone isn't 100% fit either so I expect Kolasinac back in on the left as well

Post #503455  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:13 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Ash wrote:

Any reminder of Raddy could hardly be classed as tiresome. No proper Arsenal supporter could fail to raise a smile when reminded of John Radford leading the line. Arsenal through and through. What a player. Absolute super centre forward.

Post #503456  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:51 pm 

socrates wrote:

Martinelli scored two absolute crackers. I can't remember the last time I saw a header as good as that from an Arsenal player (perhaps the one he scored against Forest :laughing7: ).

Post #503457  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:12 pm 

How does Tierney get a 7? He set up goals.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/arsenal/sto ... -in-europe

Martinelli 9/10, Tierney 7/10 as newcomers shine for Arsenal in Europe

Post #503458  Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:32 pm 

OGS is done.

Attachments:

Post #503459  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:57 am 

Bernard wrote:
Very impressive performance last night. Every single player did well, without exception from Mustafi to Nelson. Martinelli was the star of the show and it’ll be interesting to see his progression. Could his development, if it continues, lead to a willingness to cash in on Lacazette in the not too distant future?

I think it was Hazuki who pointed out the other day that Nelson has gone from arguably the youngster most likely to make it to further down the pecking order. But credit to him; I don’t remember him having a better game in the first team than that before.

Indeed, it was me. Being an optimist (for a change) :42laughter:

Post #503460  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:58 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
socrates wrote:
Sub-Standard Lieige?

good one :58big-emoticons:

Post #503461  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:40 am 

gooner7 wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Sub-Standard Lieige?

good one :58big-emoticons:

Attachments:
MyLiege.jpg
MyLiege.jpg [ 8.82 KB | Viewed 2868 times ]

Post #503462  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:21 am 

Tough night of fixtures but come on Brighton & Leicester. Until Liverpool have a defeat this season I have to barrack for a number of clubs I don’t particularly like.

Post #503463  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:47 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
socrates wrote:
Sub-Standard Lieige?

:laughing7:

Post #503464  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:36 am 

Lloris really bad arm injury he'll be out for months.

Post #503465  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:38 am 

Tottenham can't catch a break at the moment. Huge blunder by Lloris leading to 1-0 for Brighton, and he injured himself badly in the process.

Post #503466  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:04 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Tottenham can't catch a break at the moment. Huge blunder by Lloris leading to 1-0 for Brighton, and he injured himself badly in the process.

I will just wipe the tears away for them.

Post #503467  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:07 pm 

Brighton 2 up. Judging by the radio commentary they're dominating as well.

Post #503468  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:13 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Brighton 2 up. Judging by the radio commentary they're dominating as well.

Let’s hope for another surrender by them.

Post #503469  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:53 pm 

Watching Spudz being played off the park by potential relegation fodder is a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Post #503470  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:57 pm 

3 0. Spurs look absolutely shot of confidence. Brighton are all over them.

Post #503471  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:58 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Watching Spudz being played off the park by potential relegation fodder is a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

3-0 now. Excellent.

Post #503472  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:04 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
3 0. Spurs look absolutely shot of confidence. Brighton are all over them.

Deserved as well

Post #503473  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:09 pm 

The clock is ticking on Poch

Post #503474  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:56 pm 

Well done BHA! :58big-emoticons: :53big-emoticons:

Post #503475  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:54 pm 

Leicesrer's Chaudhry takes out Salah and only gets a yellow. Xhaka twice got reds for similar tackles.

Bloody Liverpool then get a pen in extra time to win :36angers:

Post #503476  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:54 pm 

Good result for us though :42laughter: :12hello-bye:

Post #503477  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:00 pm 

Looked a dive to me was surprised Var gave it.

Post #503478  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:04 pm 

Agreed but oe of Riley's top refs gave it. The one an only Antony Taylor...................

There was a slight touch of his left heel but not enough to take him or make him go down. Def not a pen imo.

Bet you Gallagher backs the ref......

Post #503479  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:26 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Bet you Gallagher backs the ref......

And did he?

Liverpool getting some spawny wins atm. Something that will catch up with them or just ride it out and start improving? I’d choose the first one please.

Post #503480  Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:30 pm 

Mike Riley is to refereeing what a diseased yak testicle is to haute cuisine.

-Abraham Lincoln

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12584, 12585, 12586, 12587, 12588, 12589, 12590 ... 14269  Next