Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 137 guests

Post #488641  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:17 am 

Hazuki wrote:
I would normally have wanted England to win, but there's something about this Croatia team I really like. They are resilient, play good football and Modric is a player I wouldn't mind seeing raise the trophy. Sublime player. The winner tonight will be the team I'm hoping wins the whole thing.

I admire Modric but I am always suspicious of Croatian football which is riddled with bigotry and nationalism. They still haven't really cast off the stench of Mamic and Simuric.

Post #488642  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:17 am 

rotterdamnation wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
I would normally have wanted England to win, but there's something about this Croatia team I really like.

Really, with scumbags like Vida around? Bit of a fascist smell there

You got there first! It is still a massive part of their football establishment.

Post #488643  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:30 am 

rotterdamnation wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
I would normally have wanted England to win, but there's something about this Croatia team I really like.

Strictly football reasons, try not to care too much about the players personal lives as that would mean I couldn't enjoy any team. You know half the English team are racist *%^@ (not because they're English, just because that's the way people are) and probably all of them treat women horribly, because that's what professional athletes do.

That being said, I'm not really invested at all and will most likely not even watch the game.

Post #488644  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:41 am 

Hazuki wrote:
You know half the English team are racist *%^@ (not because they're English, just because that's the way people are) and probably all of them treat women horribly, because that's what professional athletes do.

Erm...

....you quite sure about those statements?

Post #488645  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 am 

I'm not really talking about players personal lives I'm talking about a football establishment that is genuinely steeped in bigotry, nationalism and - in the case of a few recently-departed faces - criminality.

Post #488646  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 am 

Daz wrote:
I'm not really talking about players personal lives I'm talking about a football establishment that is genuinely steeped in bigotry, nationalism and - in the case of a few recently-departed faces - criminality.

Let's hope England beats them then.

Post #488647  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:52 am 

I enjoyed the clip on the BBC last night on Italia '90 with Bobby Robson.

Such a nice guy he was, shamelessly hounded out of the job.

Personally, I have found nothing I dislike about this England team or their manager. Even the yobs seemed to have stayed at home.

Post #488648  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 am 

Hazuki wrote:
I would normally have wanted England to win, but there's something about this Croatia team I really like. They are resilient, play good football and Modric is a player I wouldn't mind seeing raise the trophy. Sublime player. The winner tonight will be the team I'm hoping wins the whole thing.

They aren't a patch on the '98 team imo.

Post #488649  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:58 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Daz wrote:

Weirdly a bit of me won't mind if England go out - it's all gone way too far now, this is like some parallel universe. Plus if we play France the Brexit bollocks will be absolutely unbearable...

Post #488650  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:07 am 

socrates wrote:
I make us favourites tonight.

I think Croatia have had some tricky games to navigate and have looked leggy in the last couple of matches. Technically gifted but not great defensively and perhaps not the forwards to complement their excellent midfield. The two lots of extra time have done them no favours either.

By contrast England have had an easier passage thus far and their youth and energy could be the deciding factor.

Can't really argue with that either, I make Croatia favourites, but only slightly.

England have the best striker on the pitch in Kane and a threat in the runs of Sterling, Ali and Lingard. Up to now though they haven't been able to service Kane with enough chances and have relied on set pieces - even against mediocre opposition. No opposition team has had the ability to attack England yet so we also don't know how they will handle pressure from a technically gifted side. Sweden had a good 10 minutes and created a few chances but that was it. I also wonder if England will get overrun in midfield if they continue to commit two of the midfield players high which could leave gaps to be exploited.

No doubt it will be a cagey affair. England do like to start fast but I can imagine another 20 minutes of both sides sussing out the opposition before hopefully the game will come to life.

Post #488651  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 am 

Niall wrote:
socrates wrote:

I think Croatia have had some tricky games to navigate and have looked leggy in the last couple of matches. Technically gifted but not great defensively and perhaps not the forwards to complement their excellent midfield. The two lots of extra time have done them no favours either.

By contrast England have had an easier passage thus far and their youth and energy could be the deciding factor.

Can't really argue with that either, I make Croatia favourites, but only slightly.

England have the best striker on the pitch in Kane and a threat in the runs of Sterling, Ali and Lingard. Up to now though they haven't been able to service Kane with enough chances and have relied on set pieces - even against mediocre opposition. No opposition team has had the ability to attack England yet so we also don't know how they will handle pressure from a technically gifted side. Sweden had a good 10 minutes and created a few chances but that was it. I also wonder if England will get overrun in midfield if they continue to commit two of the midfield players high which could leave gaps to be exploited.

No doubt it will be a cagey affair. England do like to start fast but I can imagine another 20 minutes of both sides sussing out the opposition before hopefully the game will come to life.

Yeah message to the aliens who are holding Niall, please return him - we can tell these moderate and sensible comments cannot possibly belong to him.

Post #488652  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Daz wrote:

So we are to judge a football team on past nationalist sentiments of players bearing in mind they came out of war. Rather sad. Would like to see England go all the way. Added bonus is that will piss of Guardian and New Statesman opinion writers who won't be able to handle all the patriotic outbursts.

Post #488653  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 am 

Mattéo Guendouzi

Arsenal have signed French midfielder Mattéo Guendouzi from Lorient for a £7.1m initial fee.
He joins the youth ranks, taking Arsenal's net spend to -£70.6m so far.

Post #488654  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:43 am 

Daz wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Weirdly a bit of me won't mind if England go out - it's all gone way too far now, this is like some parallel universe. Plus if we play France the Brexit bollocks will be absolutely unbearable...

I’m the other way

I hope England keep winning. Anything to keep the Brexit stuff out of my reading material.

If I see another article about farage, Johnson, may, people stockpiling food, etc etc etc it’s quite possible I could go bonkers.

Ooh quick update my Scottish uncle just sent me a text saying he hopes Croatia win tonight due to what happened at Bannockburn in 1314, the passing of 700 years hasn’t done much to provide unity to local sporting vigour.

Post #488655  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:49 am 

socrates wrote:

France, Belgium and Brazil have been the best teams at the tournament but in a one off game against France anything can happen. Especially as you never quite know which France is going to turn up, the one from last night or the one from some of their stodgy earlier games.

I am wondering if this might be like the year Leicester won the EPL or Chelsea the CL - it was written in the stars. If it does happen I would be very happy for Southgate who seems a genuinely nice, well grounded person and it would be justice for him given all the crap he was given over that missed penalty and even when he got the job.

Post #488656  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:38 am 

Gunfire wrote:
So we are to judge a football team on past nationalist sentiments of players bearing in mind they came out of war.

I can think of cases where this would be eminently reasonable, yes.

Post #488657  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:42 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I’m the other way

I hope England keep winning.

Yeah only a bit of me.

Although England actually winning it would be mental - the nation would just become like tigers running around a tree and turning into butter (this happened in a book I had as a kid called Little Black Sambo which for rather obvious reasons has not been read by my own children).

Post #488658  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:44 am 

Also I'm not entirely sure that all the racism and homophobia of the Croatian football establishment - and many of their fans - came out of war.

Post #488659  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:45 am 

My fear is, if England does win the WC the press could treat the returning players as untouchables and as a consequence the referees will undoubtably follow suit. It’s difficult enough now watching Spurs getting a free ride with the media let alone if half their team come home with a winners medal

Post #488660  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:47 am 

Personally I’m just gutted the team haven’t used the obvious opportunity presented when celebrating a goal so far..

Kane prods ball home ....

Sterling runs over to him to celebrate and cocks his leg in the air...

Kane grabs it and pretends to shoot it like a machine gun.

Would have been superb.

Imagine the thermo nuclear explosion of judgement from the nazis at the express and Mail. Fantastic stuff

Post #488661  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:49 am 

azinoz wrote:
My fear is, if England does win the WC the press could treat the returning players as untouchables and as a consequence the referees will undoubtably follow suit. It’s difficult enough now watching Spurs getting a free ride with the media let alone if half their team come home with a winners medal

Mate unless Emery performs a miracle I’m not sure it matters. We have a couple of seasons of rebuilding ahead and a few decisions here and there are hardly the issue. If they win it as far as I’m concerned they can pull down nelsons column and do one of Trippier instead

Post #488662  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:03 pm 

Having said that I love Croatia and you find some of the best and least nationalistic people there too who are cheering on their team for the normal reasons.

The problems lie more with its football establishment which never really escaped the stench of Mamic (currently on the run).

Post #488663  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:11 pm 

France shaded it but I thought Hazard was the best player on the pitch among several good performances on both sides including both keepers.

Belgium had a great shape ay first but France has too much quality. Giroud didnt finish well for the final ball. I still like him and he must credit Chelsea for giving him the opportunity to get a spot on the team.

Mbappe is scary. And to think if Lacazette and Martial fulfill their potential France has a bright attacking future.

I really like this English side and Im guilt ridden for even cheering for the scum players. However, as much as a France vs England final would be captivating, I still think Croatia will win and I go back to what I wrote about 2 prior matches, their wins over Nigeria and Argentina. Two sides they beat who did things much better than they did. Nigeria had more pace and a certain amount of power. Argentina had infinitely more technical ability. The Croats admirably coped with both. Other than 2, maybe 3 players they are a team of unknowns who are well drilled and disciplined.

I think England's dream ends here. If Im wrong I get to enjoy a much better final than I thought.

Post #488664  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:14 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
France shaded it but I thought Hazard was the best player on the pitch among several good performances on both sides including both keepers.

He had some good moments but he disappeared from the game for a large period in the second half.

Post #488665  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:27 pm 

If you include the entire Torreira fee even though it’s being paid in instalments then we have spent around 70 million. I can’t see us signing anymore players unless there is a major departure like Mustafi or Ramsey.

Post #488666  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:33 pm 

It seemed like every time Hazard got a touch 2 French players closed him down. At times he was dribbling through the French defense and had to be fouled to be stopped.

The Giroud foul shpuld have been a free kick and was wrongly waved off.

Post #488667  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:46 pm 

Ok whose on the sauce already?

Post #488668  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:51 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
rotterdamnation wrote:

Strictly football reasons, try not to care too much about the players personal lives as that would mean I couldn't enjoy any team. You know half the English team are racist *%^@ (not because they're English, just because that's the way people are) and probably all of them treat women horribly, because that's what professional athletes do.

That being said, I'm not really invested at all and will most likely not even watch the game.

Croatia for me too, now that Belgium are sadly departed. Modric really does deserve this accolade. I like Mandzukic too. He has the same cadaverous, laconic manner as Ivan Lendl.

I've got nothing against this England team, but they haven't set the pulse racing.

As for France, although Griezman would a worthy winner, I really don't want Pogba and especially Mbape to win it, good though they no doubt are. Giroud is also beginning to grate a just a bit.

Post #488669  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:53 pm 

Niall wrote:

:laughing7:

Post #488670  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:57 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
If you include the entire Torreira fee even though it’s being paid in instalments then we have spent around 70 million. I can’t see us signing anymore players unless there is a major departure like Mustafi or Ramsey.

Wow. He looked workmanlike to decent ... but crickey that must be more $ per inch than Ronaldo. :icon_eek1:

Post #488671  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:58 pm 

To all our English friends, here's a few minutes of Harry Kane's cousins (seriously) in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwxpjSenGE4

Post #488672  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:01 pm 

Anyways, hope ye go all the way now and trounce Belgium at the weekend. :icon_rabbit:

Post #488673  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:07 pm 

The new Beckham!!!

Post #488674  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:09 pm 

Niall wrote:

Who’s

Post #488675  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:10 pm 

That was a fantastic free kick

Post #488676  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:19 pm 

I made a loud involuntary noise somewhere between “Goal” and “Aaaaahhhh” and I’ve been playing this cool all day. :laughing7:

Post #488677  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:23 pm 

And I was so convinced by Lovren’s righteous indignation!

Post #488678  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:28 pm 

Ref helping us cos he's doing his job. Shame he's Turkish but if he keeps this up I'd welcome him here as a prem ref.

Post #488679  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:32 pm 

Should be 2-0. Croatia offering nothing at the minute.

Post #488680  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:32 pm 

Ashley Young is not a defender. Just thought I share that.

[ 571633 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12214, 12215, 12216, 12217, 12218, 12219, 12220 ... 14291  Next