Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 49 guests

Post #524521  Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:30 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Just saw this on a cousin's feed. He wasn't even born at the time of the recording so surprised he had this or knew about it. This is cool as hell! No idea who she is, but know the tune. Cherry Wainer?! Transporting myself back to 1966 in a time machine to be my crush. :53big-emoticons:
...and Don Storer on drums. First time knowing about him too.

few years earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIekZvhyrsk

Post #524522  Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:31 pm 

:58big-emoticons:

I'm a bit embarrassed I've never heard of her. I like this one. Going to have to find more of her music. I had to look her up on wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Wainer

So, she married the drummer! Influenced by the great Jimmy Smith. Smith is from Philadelphia (or precisely a suburb), where a cousin of mine went to...oh, so that's why that same cousin had it on his feed? I've sent him a message. He went to the HS of that town. Can't wait to hear back from him.

Post #524523  Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:21 pm 

I only realised last night that Burnley had a midweek game so much less rest than us before our game v them at the weekend.
Having so many fresh players really helped us overrun Leicester who had to pretty much play the same players from their midweek European game.
We need to make this count v Burnley, we should have the legs on them so need to press high and force mistakes

Post #524524  Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:13 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

I'm a bit embarrassed I've never heard of her. I like this one. Going to have to find more of her music. I had to look her up on wiki

So, she married the drummer! Influenced by the great Jimmy Smith. Smith is from Philadelphia (or precisely a suburb), where a cousin of mine went to...oh, so that's why that same cousin had it on his feed? I've sent him a message. He went to the HS of that town. Can't wait to hear back from him.

That was a fascinating video post AG and churned up a lot of memories. I recognised Cherry (though I didn't know her name) immediately from that clip based on a dim and distant TV programme I saw in the '50s. I too have googled her. I must have seen the 'Oh Boy' programme to remember her but I have no real recollection of it.

Not sure why but I do remember Lord Rockingham's 11 - and her. She is quite mesmeric and obviously made an impression on me. I've never heard anything else from her though she seems to have had quite a career. Everyone in Britain knows the 'Hoots Mon' song.

LTG and the Old Man will fill in the blanks.

Post #524525  Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:24 pm 

DHD wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

That was a fascinating video post AG and churned up a lot of memories. I recognised Cherry (though I didn't know her name) immediately from that clip based on a dim and distant TV programme I saw in the '50s. I too have googled her. I must have seen the 'Oh Boy' programme to remember her but I have no real recollection of it.

Not sure why but I do remember Lord Rockingham's 11 - and her. She is quite mesmeric and obviously made an impression on me. I've never heard anything else from her though she seems to have had quite a career. Everyone in Britain knows the 'Hoots Mon' song.

LTG and the Old Man will fill in the blanks.

Count me out. Until today I had never heard of either of them.
My interest/passion in music started with The Shadows.

And the first single that I ever bought was Telstar by The Tornados.
First album was With the Beatles.

Post #524526  Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:54 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Might be wrong but I think my first album was Electric Warrior by T. Rex.

Post #524527  Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:59 pm 

Mustafi and Kolasinac get mentions.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/03/former-s ... IKzRihHIgQ

Post #524528  Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I had quite a lot of albums by that point (1971).

All to do with being aged. :1cry:

Post #524529  Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:29 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I had quite a lot of albums by that point (1971).

All to do with being aged. :1cry:

Don’t worry about it. Getting old is way better than the only alternative.

Post #524530  Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:57 pm 

I don't recognize the group but the song is familiar to me. I've heard it before.

Post #524531  Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:10 pm 

Can we play Liverpool next?

Post #524532  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:57 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I always had you down as a "glam rocker", Bernard. :laughing7:

Post #524533  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:04 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't recognize the group but the song is familiar to me. I've heard it before.

Look up Joe Meek. He’s an interesting case.

Post #524534  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:23 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Sad to read. Ever since January, I've come to like Mustafi a whole lot more. Club legend. :58big-emoticons: I've always liked Kols actually. Tough guy.

Post #524535  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:41 am 

Wow, ltg! Interesting indeed. HAHA I listened to "I hear a new world" and the song from the artist he produced John Leyton's Johnny Remember Me'. I like that song.
He lived in Islington for a time. Possible gooner? :icon_mrgreen: Sad to think how your sexual preference was criminalized in those days. Not too long ago. Obviously a troubled man. Tragic.
"Meeks' inability to play a musical instrument or write notation did not prevent him writing and producing successful commercial recordings." Amazing.

From Wiki:
Meek became fascinated with the idea of communicating with the dead. He would set up tape machines in graveyards in an attempt to record voices from beyond the grave, in one instance capturing the meows of a cat he believed was speaking in human tones, asking for help. In particular, he had an obsession with Buddy Holly (saying the late American rocker had communicated with him in dreams). By the end of his career, Meek's fascination with these topics had taken over his life following the deterioration in his mental health, and he started to believe that his flat contained poltergeists, that aliens were substituting his speech by controlling his mind, and that photographs in his studio were trying to communicate with him.

Meek was affected by bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, and, upon receiving an apparently innocent phone call from American record producer Phil Spector, Meek immediately accused Spector of stealing his ideas before hanging up angrily. His professional efforts were often hindered by his paranoia (Meek was convinced that Decca Records would put hidden microphones behind his wallpaper to steal his ideas), depression, and extreme mood swings. In later years, Meek started experiencing psychotic delusions, culminating in him refusing to use the studio telephone for important communications due to his beliefs that his landlady was eavesdropping on his calls through the chimney, that he could control the minds of others with his recording equipment, and that he could monitor his acts while away from the studio through supernatural means.

Meek was also a frequent recreational drug user, with his barbiturate abuse further worsening his depressive episodes. In addition, his heavy consumption of amphetamines caused him to fly into volatile rages with little or no provocation, at one point leading him to hold a gun to the head of drummer Mitch Mitchell to 'inspire' a high-quality performance.

Meek's homosexuality – at a time when homosexual acts were illegal in the UK – put him under further pressure and he was particularly afraid that his mother would find out about his sexual orientation. In 1963 he was convicted and fined £15 (equivalent to £316 in 2019) for "importuning for immoral purposes" in a London public toilet, and was consequently subject to blackmail. In January 1967, police in Tattingstone, Suffolk, discovered two suitcases containing mutilated body parts of Bernard Oliver. According to some accounts, Meek was afraid of being questioned by the Metropolitan Police, as it was known they were intending to interview all of the gay men in London. This was enough for him to lose his self-control.

On 3 February 1967 (by coincidence, the eighth anniversary of Buddy Holly's death),Meek killed his landlady Violet Shenton and then himself with a single-barrelled shotgun that he had confiscated from his protégé, former Tornados bassist and solo star Heinz Burt, at his Holloway Road home/studio.

After Meek's death, the thousands of recordings he hid at his studio remained unreleased and preserved by Cliff Cooper of the Millionaires. Subsequent to his suicide in 1967, Cooper is said to have purchased all of Meek's recordings for £300 (equivalent to £5,485 in 2019). These recordings were called the "Tea Chest Tapes" among fans

Post #524536  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:18 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi socrates. I did like much of the ‘new romantic’ music.

Changing subjects, I was sorry to hear the actress Nicola Pagett died of a brain tumour a couple of days ago (3rd March). Best known for Upstairs Downstairs which I never really saw, unlike my mum. But I most associate her with The Sweeney as she was in one of the episodes (Stoppo Driver). Sad to hear she once suffered from serious mental health issues.

Apparently she had manic depression which in 1997 coincided with her becoming totally obsessed with prime minister Tony Blair’s press secretary Alastair Campbell. She hadn’t even met him. It was set off by seeing Alastair Campbell on the telly.

Post #524537  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:46 am 

Just been reading about the team formerly known as The Washington Redskins changing their female cheerleaders group to become ‘gender neutral’ in keeping with modern times.

Of course Arsenal used to have something very similar and not at all offensive. I guess that many of us here will remember the Metropolitan Police Band marching up and down the pitch at half time, and us all hoping that the guy up front would drop his baton when he launched it into the air.

Back in the days of getting half time scores from A,B,C etc in the corner of the ground (and needing a programme to tell which match was represented by each letter).

Post #524538  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:49 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Just been reading about the team formerly known as The Washington Redskins changing their female cheerleaders group to become ‘gender neutral’ in keeping with modern times.

Of course Arsenal used to have something very similar and not at all offensive. I guess that many of us here will remember the Metropolitan Police Band marching up and down the pitch at half time, and us all hoping that the guy up front would drop his baton when he launched it into the air.

Back in the days of getting half time scores from A,B,C etc in the corner of the ground (and needing a programme to tell which match was represented by each letter).

"Constable Alex Morgan" - the North Bank giving him pelters when he threw the baton up :1laughter:

Post #524539  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:14 am 

tomc wrote:
"Constable Alex Morgan" - the North Bank giving him pelters when he threw the baton up :1laughter:

Well remembered. I’m impressed.

Post #524540  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:39 am 

long time gooner wrote:

:5encouragement:
How ridiculous.

Post #524541  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:59 am 

With regards to the Redskins, I try not to be too PC but in fairness, the term Redskins is pretty bad. Native, aboriginal nicknames for teams have been assigned to teams at all levels, from youth, HS, uni to professionals for over a century.

The term Braves (Atlanta baseball team for example) is a complimentary term. Cleveland's baseball team were simply 'Indians' which is just descriptive. Redskins is bad. The owner vowed never to change it. Then the BLM movement became national (and international) and even he had to bend the knee. They are no longer known as the Redskins officially.

The cheerleader thing is the LBGTQ community's doing. 40 years ago or so, the woman's rights movement had an issue with scantily clad women being cheerleaders. That's pretty much gone. There is a very large, viable cheerleading competition among girls as young as 7 or 8. One of my best friends, a couple has had their daughter doing cheer since she was 7. There are movies about HS cheering. There are uni competitions that are nationally televised and include males.

There is a middle ground somewhere in there. Societal norms are sometimes like a pendulum when changes happen. A movement goes to the extreme left or right before it 'rights' itself. While I'm fully supportive of gay marriages and have a very close friend married to his partner, I personally draw the line at trans boys competing in girls sports. There are women's wrestling in some schools and there have been serious harm done to girls from trans boys or is it trans girls? I don't know but the point is made. Interestingly enough, you rarely if ever, hear of issues of girls or women who live as boys or men and hear of controversies of them wanting to play boys sports or going to the boys restroom. I know of one person who has a daughter who wants to self identify as a boy. I haven't heard of any social issues other than looking ambiguous gender wise and people not sure what his/her gender is. "His" name is Kai, which I see a pattern of in such manner.

One of my favorite shows, Billions has such a character that I wasn't sure about the gender when the character appeared. One of my fave characters actually and the actor is similarly uncommitted to a gender in real life.

It seems the current state of America is if you make your money from the public, be it a sports team, tech company whatever, you address any accusation or concern by taking the action that addreses the concern in full.

Mr. Potato Head is being stripped of his gender identifier I hear. And he's getting married to his partner.

When I worked in LA and I sometimes part of the interview process, we would sometimes get someone whose gender was ambiguous. And I recall the first time seeing the CV in the group interview and the name was 'Chris' or 'Jamie', the HR rep would immediately take the initiative to say "So Jamie Smith", what is your preferred pronoun?"

Post #524542  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:06 am 

...and I recall when team names became an issue in the 80s or 90s, but the counter argument was "Well, I'm Tom Ercison, the Minneosta Vikings could be disrespecting my heritage too?"

Up through the 1960s, the Negro baseball league self described their teams such as 'Black Barons', 'Black Yankees', and finally the head scratcher "Black Crackers' :42laughter: who were based in Atlanta. I wonder if it was painted on the side of their bus while traveling in the deep south? :icon_eek1:

In the end, I suppose things will sort themselves out. There are far more pressing issues in America than this.

Post #524543  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:26 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
In the end, I suppose things will sort themselves out. There are far more pressing issues in America than this.

Indeed.

Post #524544  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:

First LP for me was Frank Zappa - Hot Rats in 1974
First single was Dancing in the Moonlight by King Harvest in 1973

I was gonna ask the missus if she remembers the first 12" she got but probably best not.

Post #524545  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:56 pm 

warrior wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I was gonna ask the missus if she remembers the first 12" she got but probably best not.

Hot Rats is an absolutely brilliant album.
And like you Bernard Electric Warrior was my first album - first one I bought with my own money anyway.

Post #524546  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:33 pm 

Recently found video of my first concert. :42laughter:
https://www.facebook.com/jayneubauer/videos/10159361491767456

Post #524547  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:25 pm 

It warms my heart to know that this govt has its priorities in order.

NHS staff getting a whopping 1% payrise as reward for risking their lives to care for Covid victims whilst Carrie Symonds sets about spending £200,000 revamping no 10.

Post #524548  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi socrates. I did like much of the ‘new romantic’ music.

Changing subjects, I was sorry to hear the actress Nicola Pagett died of a brain tumour a couple of days ago (3rd March). Best known for Upstairs Downstairs which I never really saw, unlike my mum. But I most associate her with The Sweeney as she was in one of the episodes (Stoppo Driver). Sad to hear she once suffered from serious mental health issues.

Apparently she had manic depression which in 1997 coincided with her becoming totally obsessed with prime minister Tony Blair’s press secretary Alastair Campbell. She hadn’t even met him. It was set off by seeing Alastair Campbell on the telly.

Very sad.

Mind you Alastair Campbell is from the Piers Morgan school of absolute wankers.

Post #524549  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:21 pm 

Just seen the Fulham hand ball that VAR justified as hand ball and disallowed their equalizer.

I've never seen anything so ridiculous in my life. How anyone in their right mind can call that handball is beyond me. The ball hits the Fulham player side on when his arm is down the side of his body so if it hadn't hit his arm then it would have hit his body.

I have a feeling that there get out is the Law. Iirc wherever or however it is handball in the area and it results in a goal it is irrelevant whether it was meant or not. I think it's another asinine rule created by the FA that never should have been said.

That Spurs benefitted from the decision makes it even worse.

Post #524550  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:23 pm 

socrates wrote:
It warms my heart to know that this govt has its priorities in order.

NHS staff getting a whopping 1% payrise as reward for risking their lives to care for Covid victims whilst Carrie Symonds sets about spending £200,000 revamping no 10.

Stick to football.......................

Post #524551  Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:43 pm 

warrior wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hey. You were late getting to Hot Rats then. :tweety:

PS And I never knew that the Toploader song was a cover.

Post #524552  Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:19 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Hey. You were late getting to Hot Rats then. :tweety:

Sure was. I was in middle school at the time. The 'cool' teacher we had would let us listen to his music after we had finished whatever assignment for that day.

After I did mine, on came this in those headphones...

Post #524553  Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:22 am 

Arsenal declare £47m in losses as coronavirus pandemic threatens club's finances even further

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/arsenal ... vbskeksopu

Post #524554  Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:42 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Just seen the Fulham hand ball that VAR justified as hand ball and disallowed their equalizer.

I've never seen anything so ridiculous in my life. How anyone in their right mind can call that handball is beyond me. The ball hits the Fulham player side on when his arm is down the side of his body so if it hadn't hit his arm then it would have hit his body.

I have a feeling that there get out is the Law. Iirc wherever or however it is handball in the area and it results in a goal it is irrelevant whether it was meant or not. I think it's another asinine rule created by the FA that never should have been said.

I get this feeling that the FA is pro Spurs and anti us

Post #524555  Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:45 am 

3-0 to us today

Post #524556  Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:50 am 

warrior wrote:
Arsenal declare £47m in losses as coronavirus pandemic threatens club's finances even further

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/arsenal ... vbskeksopu

The cost of the players for that season suggests we paid a lot more money than previously claimed for some players. 182.2 paid in total. Tierney -25, Saliba - 27, Pépé 72 means 60 mil for Luiz, Mari and Martenelli. Did we get Soares as well. Plus our wages are still at CL level which we seem to continue to do. There is some speculation on various podcasts this year will be 140 loss. This means 3 losses in a row and this year would be 4 years. So I assume Kroenke has to pick up the tab otherwise we will become insolvent and trading when insolvent would be an offence I would suspect.

Not sure where people think we will have a transfer kitty this year. I suspect a lot of other clubs will be in the same position so any players we sell will have low values.

Post #524557  Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:56 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

:5encouragement:
How ridiculous.

Waiting for public apologies from Virgil and Dick Advocaat. Young Boys is offensive to Catholics.

Post #524558  Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:11 am 

bubblechris wrote:

The rule was changed to penalise any touch by the hand or arm that directly leads to a goal on the back of the spurs goal by Llorente than knocked City out of the champions league 2 years ago. Now it seems the rule is being changed back from the start of next year to a more sensible approach but not one that will stop the arguments

Post #524559  Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:30 am 

gooner7 wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I get this feeling that the FA is pro Spurs and anti us

Bizarre taste and tragic if true!

But only the second most bizarrely tragic exhibit on the page. No, I'm not talking about people's tastes in music ... I'm talking about someone becoming morbidly obsessed with Alistair Campbell.

This is truly mindboggling, considering there are billions other people, and an unlimited number of other animate and inanimate objects, with which one could become obsessed.

Post #524560  Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:47 am 

gooner7 wrote:
3-0 to us today

Full strength, rested, with a bit of momentum and against weak opposition who played 3 days ago. This surely can't be a banana-skin? I'll be bitterly disappointed if Arsenal bungle this one.

The odd screw up like the games against Wolves :1cry: and Villa is to be expected from time to time. However, this needs to become a lot more rare for us than it is at present.

[ 570665 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13111, 13112, 13113, 13114, 13115, 13116, 13117 ... 14267  Next