Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gooner7, warrior and 64 guests

Post #497681  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:01 am 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
A few articles have cropped up in the media criticising Emery’s tactics quoting player sources. Interesting, wonder why this is happening.

If you look at the journo's dropping the quotes, there are quite a few Spurs fans, Spurs journo's among them. Not the usual suspects for a boardroom leak.

There’s definitely something going on in the press,

Articles criticising Emery all over the place. Even one criticising a team huddle of something trying to make out we are religious fanatics or something.

Really hope we win tomorrow if nothing else to shut up some of the daft criticism.

Post #497682  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:51 am 

lomekian wrote:
Spurs have been incredibly fortunate with injuries (and dodgy penalties!) for the last 3 years. Playing at high physical intensity with limited rotation will always start to catch up on team (which I think has contributed to Arsenal's recent form collapse a lot too).

Spurs haven't been "fortunate". They have a good manager who gets the best out of players.

Post #497683  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:52 am 

Rich wrote:
Concussion in football needs to be taken far more seriously. The ref asked spurs if Vertonghen was ok to continue last night, they said he was and he went back on - within 30 seconds he took himself off and could barely stand up!

Maybe there needs to be an independent doctor who assesses all head injuries, and perhaps the team with the man down call be allowed to temporarily substitute a player on whilst he is being assessed.

That was really bad. I didn't see the first half but saw the replay of it at HT. It was really distressing to see Vertonghen unable to walk. His legs just stopped working. Really awful to see.

Post #497684  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:53 am 

Gunfire wrote:
lomekian wrote:
Spurs have been incredibly fortunate with injuries (and dodgy penalties!) for the last 3 years. Playing at high physical intensity with limited rotation will always start to catch up on team (which I think has contributed to Arsenal's recent form collapse a lot too).

Spurs haven't been "fortunate". They have a good manager who gets the best out of players.

Agree. He's done a fantastic job there.

Post #497685  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:11 am 

While not football related I want to mention 25 years since the death of the person I personally regard as the greatest sportsman of my era - Ayrton Senna RIP.

https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/video ... 061661809/

Post #497686  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:22 am 

I also have to agree on spurs but also Liverpool

Whilst we procrastinated and complained about financial fair play, refs, politics and what not for years they rebuilt impressively.

What both teams seem to get is that they are working to a budget and prepared to blood young players in certain Areas of the pitch like full back but then spend big in core areas like centre half and goalkeeper.

Look at Klopp s first team he picked and think what changes have to be made to get them where they are now.

Liverpool’s starting XI v Spurs: Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Leiva, Can, Milner, Lallana (replaced by Allen), Coutinho (replaced by Ibe), Origi
Subs: Toure, Allen, Ibe, Bogdan, Sinclair, Vilaca Teixeira, Randall

Also it helps when you have a manager and scouting team that can pick up bargains and Salah, Mané, Firmino and Son Heung Min all be signed for around 30 million are absolute bargains. This summer aside I can’t think of the last medium priced player we signed that turned out to be a real hit probably going back to Cazorla and Monreal which was some time ago.

Post #497687  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Whilst we procrastinated and complained about financial fair play, refs, politics and what not for years they rebuilt impressively.

What both teams seem to get is that they are working to a budget and prepared to blood young players in certain Areas of the pitch like full back but then spend big in core areas like centre half and goalkeeper.

Look at Klopp s first team he picked and think what changes have to be made to get them where they are now.

Liverpool’s starting XI v Spurs: Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Leiva, Can, Milner, Lallana (replaced by Allen), Coutinho (replaced by Ibe), Origi

Also it helps when you have a manager and scouting team that can pick up bargains and Salah, Mané, Firmino and Son Heung Min all be signed for around 30 million are absolute bargains. This summer aside I can’t think of the last medium priced player we signed that turned out to be a real hit probably going back to Cazorla and Monreal which was some time ago.

Funnily enough, I posted on Twitter that I thought Emery wasn't the right guy after Sunday's shitshow. A scouser mate of mine said it took Klopp three years to get close and we should be patient. Whilst I agree with that sentiment, I have this nagging sense that we won't get close to the title with Emery. I think as Bernard and a couple of others suggested, his remit is one of transitioning us back into the CL places.

Post #497688  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:30 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Funnily enough, I posted on Twitter that I thought Emery wasn't the right guy after Sunday's shitshow. A scouser mate of mine said it took Klopp three years to get close and we should be patient. Whilst I agree with that sentiment, I have this nagging sense that we won't get close to the title with Emery. I think as Bernard and a couple of others suggested, his remit is one of transitioning us back into the CL places.

I agree Emery won’t get 3 years. I fully expect him to complete next season then the club deciding against taking up the option for year 3 in his contract.

Some of our fans are behaving like Chelsea supporters now moaning about all and sundry and it’s evident he won’t get the time. You can only scream about showing passion so much but passion can only get you so far if you don’t have the technicians in the team.

I think it’s not possible for him to be here for a long time. For a few reasons but mostly that bar 5 players he needs to move on his entire squad of playing personnel and replace it on a minimal budget.

Then consider that we don’t have a director of football, no Gazidis, no Mislintat. It’s an equation that doesn’t add up in the timescales required.

At the end of the next season it might be best for the club to recruit an ex player like Henry or Vieira who would get far more patience and understanding from the supporters and media than Emery has because of their status as legends.

I think this is part of it, Emery doesn’t feel very ”arsenal” to us right now so it’s easier to be more critical when things are going badly.

Post #497689  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:08 am 

lomekian wrote:
...I want to see how he does this week and next with his balls really against the wall.
And the same goes for the players. Provided he selects them, they, not the manager, are on the pitch, and must take responsibility. Emery made a poor call in selection against Palace, but his players have since had opportunities to rectify that mistake, without much suggestion they have it in them to take the club where it needs to be. Even when Arsene's lesser teams had a bad run I always felt they would get a result when needed. I am not too confident of it happening now, but live in hope.

Post #497690  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:14 am 

Rich wrote:
Concussion in football needs to be taken far more seriously. The ref asked spurs if Vertonghen was ok to continue last night, they said he was and he went back on - within 30 seconds he took himself off and could barely stand up!

Maybe there needs to be an independent doctor who assesses all head injuries, and perhaps the team with the man down call be allowed to temporarily substitute a player on whilst he is being assessed.
In cricket now a blow to the head results in an immediate stoppage in play and an examination of the player. Useful for us dodgy-bladdered old-timers as it gives a chance to go for a slash and not miss any action. Mind you, the way Surrey played yesterday, may as well have stayed in the toilet.

Post #497691  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:38 am 

Darren wrote:
Since we last won the league, bar the marvellous Leicester City, it has only been won by the massively rich clubs with their deep squads. Even the giant Liverpool has been looking through the window for nearly two decades, although they might finally win it this time. Until Arsenal can spend like City, United and Chelsea, a top four place is our realistic high point. When our previous manager said as much, it was considered sacrilege, but truth is he was speaking what virtually all non-Arsenal fans knew was the truth. If you don't have the right manager or squad of players even the Europa place is not guaranteed.

Post #497692  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:22 pm 

https://arseblog.news/2019/05/ornstein- ... b6WE3VDMf8

Ramsey has played his last game.
Ah well.

Post #497693  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:25 pm 

Niall wrote:
https://arseblog.news/2019/05/ornstein-ramsey-has-played-his-last-game-for-arsenal/?fbclid=IwAR2ZGjRyW81WgvRyYv8eWksSJjnyQrx8X9EYNeh4bUqkuGfklb6WE3VDMf8

Ramsey has played his last game.
Ah well.

Our poor form coincides with his absence. May be more difficult to replace than we thought.

Post #497694  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Sanchez didn't turn out too bad for us.

Post #497695  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:40 pm 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I suppose Sanchez too, he was 32 million.

He scored 1 in 2 games and we had his best years. Aside from those 3 players there’s not many you could suggest we’re an unquestionable hit

Post #497696  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:42 pm 

Understand the debate about head injuries but bloody hell that guy shouldn’t have been allowed back on the pitch. He looked like he’d been hit by a train.

Gross incompetence by spurs you wouldn’t have caught Gary Lewin doing that.

Post #497697  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:46 pm 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yeah - Sanchez was a match winner and at his peak form with us would have walked in to whoever won the title in those seasons. His value at his peak and with years left on his contract was definitely £80m+, madness that we turned down £60m from City when he only had 12 months left.

If the new regime is serious about making decisions, new contract/sell, on players when they reach their last 2 years we are going to have a few interesting decisions coming up. Mustafi for example has 2 years left on his deal, what if no-one wants to buy him, do you offer him a new deal to avoid losing him for nothing!? This is what Man U have been doing with players clearly not good enough such as Young and Phil Jones

Post #497698  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Liverpool's rebuild has been massively helped by some hugely over inflated sales which has been basically like handing free money to Klopp. The squad above generated £208m in fees alone. Big Klopp sales are:
Coutinho £140m, Sakho £25m, Benteke £30m, Ibe £15m Joe Allen £13m and Ings and Solanke have gone for £19m a piece each. Danny Ward the gk sold for £12m. They even got £5m loan fee for sending Origi out on loan!
If we could sell 8-9 players we don't want for £200m we'd be laughing as well

Post #497699  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Liverpool's rebuild has been massively helped by some hugely over inflated sales which has been basically like handing free money to Klopp. The squad above generated £208m in fees alone. Big Klopp sales are:
Coutinho £140m, Sakho £25m, Benteke £30m, Ibe £15m Joe Allen £13m and Ings and Solanke have gone for £19m a piece each. Danny Ward the gk sold for £12m. They even got £5m loan fee for sending Origi out on loan!

How did they get such bloody huge fees ?

They sold well where we literally chucked millions down the drain selling players like Gnabry, chesney and Wilshere for absolute peanuts.

Post #497700  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

They sold well where we literally chucked millions down the drain selling players like Gnabry, chesney and Wilshere for absolute peanuts.

It's something that hopefully we would rectify post-Wenger, Dick Law and Gazidis... AOC for 35m was quite good.

Post #497701  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:37 pm 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It's something that hopefully we would rectify post-Wenger, Dick Law and Gazidis... AOC for 35m was quite good.

If we had only just managed to get fees for Ramsey, Wilshere and Sanchez. Would have made such a massive difference. That would have given us 100 odd million and we could have had another 3 proven players in our side right now. I hope Gazidis chokes on his Gnocchi in Milan

Post #497702  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
If we had only just managed to get fees for Ramsey, Wilshere and Sanchez. Would have made such a massive difference. That would have given us 100 odd million and we could have had another 3 proven players in our side right now. I hope Gazidis chokes on his Gnocchi in Milan

It seems like gross financial negligence.

Post #497703  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:28 pm 

Wilshere? Ah c'mon lads. We had no chance of getting a big fee for him. He's been crocked for years.

The Coutinho fee was a monster one for Liverpool. They have spent an awful lot though. Allison, Fabinho, Keita and VVD. Worth mentioning too that Klopp hadn't much interest in Salah at all. He didn't particularly rate him. He got very lucky there.

Post #497704  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Understand the debate about head injuries but bloody hell that guy shouldn’t have been allowed back on the pitch. He looked like he’d been hit by a train.

Gross incompetence by spurs you wouldn’t have caught Gary Lewin doing that.

That was shameful. The Tottenham medics should be questioned about that. Looks like medical negligence. Football really needs to grow up when it comes to concussion.

Post #497705  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:39 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Darren wrote:

I agree Emery won’t get 3 years. I fully expect him to complete next season then the club deciding against taking up the option for year 3 in his contract.

Some of our fans are behaving like Chelsea supporters now moaning about all and sundry and it’s evident he won’t get the time. You can only scream about showing passion so much but passion can only get you so far if you don’t have the technicians in the team.

I think it’s not possible for him to be here for a long time. For a few reasons but mostly that bar 5 players he needs to move on his entire squad of playing personnel and replace it on a minimal budget.

Then consider that we don’t have a director of football, no Gazidis, no Mislintat. It’s an equation that doesn’t add up in the timescales required.

At the end of the next season it might be best for the club to recruit an ex player like Henry or Vieira who would get far more patience and understanding from the supporters and media than Emery has because of their status as legends.

I think this is part of it, Emery doesn’t feel very ”arsenal” to us right now so it’s easier to be more critical when things are going badly.

If my memory is correct, Klopp did make his mark on Liverpool playing style pretty much immediately. Can we say the same about Emery?

I'm all for giving him the benefit of the doubt for another season or two. But I think the comparison with Klopp is a bit wishful.

Post #497706  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:09 pm 

dec wrote:
Wilshere? Ah c'mon lads. We had no chance of getting a big fee for him. He's been crocked for years.

You could have got a fee of 5 to 10 million for him, point wasn’t about him specifically but the host of players walking out the door with no fees

Post #497707  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:11 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

If my memory is correct, Klopp did make his mark on Liverpool playing style pretty much immediately. Can we say the same about Emery?

I'm all for giving him the benefit of the doubt for another season or two. But I think the comparison with Klopp is a bit wishful.

Don’t you remember his first 2 seasons? He finished 8th in his first season

Their defence was all over the place like we are and they were doing the whole “outscoring thing” with their opponents as we do.

It took them a couple of years to get back on track

Post #497708  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Their defence was all over the place like we are and they were doing the whole “outscoring thing” with their opponents as we do.

That isn't the point.

I read somewhere that, statistically, Emery and Sari are right near the top in terms of first seasons in the prem (certainly better than the likes of Ferguson and Klopp, and similar to Maurinho and Pep). However, the point is that with Klopp and Fergusson there was a real buzz about their appointments.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ol-manager

Post #497709  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:33 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I read somewhere that, statistically, Emery and Sari are right near the top in terms of first seasons in the prem (certainly better than the likes of Ferguson and Klopp, and similar to Maurinho and Pep). However, the point is that with Klopp and Fergusson there was a real buzz about their appointments.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ol-manager

Not sure that was the original point but yes I mean he’s a far better media character and story than Emery.

Speaks great English, is quite funny, his touchline antics are entertaining. He’s a far easier character to get behind. I think Liverpool fans bought into his project because of his character and the way he communicated.

I’m not sure that is the case with Emery who unfortunately isnt fluent in the lingo but critically can’t impart what his objectives are on the fans. A harder character to get behind undoubtably

Post #497710  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:32 pm 

Barca 1-0 Liverpool. Great goal from Suarez.
And so called world best CB Van Dijk could see suarez’s run right in front of him and didn’t follow him and allowed him the shot at goal.

Obviously VvD is a fantastic defender but if that is mustafi all you would hear is how mustafi has not tracked his runner again. I suppose when you’ve put enough good stuff in the bank you don’t get criticised for those mistakes

Post #497711  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:35 pm 

Messi's looking electric tonight.

Post #497712  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:39 pm 

Liverpool look like they carry a threat too good chance missed by Mané. You'd think they need an away goal tonight.

Post #497713  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:47 pm 

Rich wrote:

Obviously VvD is a fantastic defender but if that is mustafi all you would hear is how mustafi has not tracked his runner again. I suppose when you’ve put enough good stuff in the bank you don’t get criticised for those mistakes

I dunno you just look at the pass from alba. Superb.

One of those inviting passes ahead of the player begging to be smashed in.

It’s not quite the same as Mustafi walking on the pitch with his flies undone from the start then getting his a****** podgered by Zaha with no lube

Post #497714  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:36 pm 

Barcelona looking more interested in keeping a clean sheet than pressing for the second, Liverpool pressing hard but without troubling Ter Stegen too much, so far at least. Huge last 20 minutes coming up which could determine the outcome of the tie.

And there's the second, Liverpool hit with the sucker punch.

Post #497715  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:45 pm 

Messi, bloody hell. Absolute peach.
:53big-emoticons:

Post #497716  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:01 pm 

Liverpool picked off 3-0. Given a lesson by Barca. Barca should have put the tie to bed they had 2 3v1’s in added time and couldn’t score the 4th.
Can’t see anyone but Barca winning the champions league this season and for that I am very very glad

Post #497717  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:07 pm 

This one is done and dusted. No matter what miracles Tottenham perform in the 2nd leg, I can be fairly confident they won't win the ECL.

Post #497718  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:28 pm 

In a one-off game, as the final will be, anything can happen. Anyway, he hopefully won't if Tottenham do get through but who's to say Messi won't pull his hamstring and miss it? It may be unlikely, but it's certainly not impossible.

Post #497719  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:23 pm 

Apparently Wenger criticised Van Dyke on TV for the way he lost his man. The person who presided over assembling the worst Arsenal defence that I have ever seen has pure hide to even mention defence critically.

Post #497720  Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:07 pm 

I don't think either of the CL semi's is done and dusted yet. Barca are not always that good away from home as PSG once proved. And Ajax have often played better away in the big CL games. Would be very happy with a Barca Ajax final.

Unlike Bernard I do like Messi and this year some of his goals are just amazing. It is a pleasure to watch him in action. Loved the free kick.

[ 570667 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12440, 12441, 12442, 12443, 12444, 12445, 12446 ... 14267  Next