Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 8 guests

Post #497601  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:39 pm 

Letter to f365 today

Arsenal bed-wetting
A simple message on the Arsenal circus. As ever, a lot of bed-wetting taking place.Look I think Emery isn’t blameless and has to drastically improve defensive organisation, absolutely. What I don’t get though, is the comical entitlement of Arsenal fans.

Let’s get one thing straight, it’s a minor miracle Arsenal are in with half a shout at top 4, because with that shower of s***, they should be nowhere near it. I think Arsenal fans need to understand how drastically Wenger harmed that club – some of us called it as far back as 2006. I was saying to a mate yesterday that Wolves, Leicester and Watford have as good/better players than Arsenal. Don’t believe me? Delofeu would breeze past Iwobi. Doucoure is superior to Xhaka + Mkhitaryan put together. At Wolves, Neves is better than any Arsenal midfielder, and Jota, Cody, Moutinho and Boly all walk into the Arsenal team. Keane at Everton is better than Koscielny and even relegated Tielemans of Leicester is excellent. Maddison more productive than Özil. Fulham have better defenders than Mustafi ffs. SAD!

Emery walked in to not only find this dross, but to find out he wouldn’t have money to spend on upgrades because some fraud opted to pay that rabble £200m a year in wages! Wow. So put it this way, if you gave Pep or Klopp: Mustafi, Özil, Xhaka, Mkhitaryan, Welwide, Koscielny, Jenkinson, El-Nenny, Monreal etc. Would they be outperforming Emery? I say no chance. We saw how badly Klopp struggled with Moreno, Lallana, Lovren and Mignolet – not to mention Pep only just scraping 4th with Sagna, Clichy, Navas and Mangala!

Until Emery can clear out all the shockingly overpaid rubbish Wenger left behind, Arsenal will be shopping in the bargain bins. Pochettino has also exposed what a con-job Arsenal under Wenger was, because with half the wage budget, he built a new stadium and is superbly competitive in the PL and CL (FA Cup? LOL). It’s hilarious mind, because for years we heard uninformed bollocks about Kroenke “denying Arsene funds”. If only he had!
Stewie Griffin (If Emery somehow won the EL, he’d have eclipsed Wenger’s entire 30-year European career in his maiden season)

Post #497602  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Letter to f365 today

Arsenal bed-wetting
A simple message on the Arsenal circus. As ever, a lot of bed-wetting taking place.Look I think Emery isn’t blameless and has to drastically improve defensive organisation, absolutely. What I don’t get though, is the comical entitlement of Arsenal fans.

Let’s get one thing straight, it’s a minor miracle Arsenal are in with half a shout at top 4, because with that shower of s***, they should be nowhere near it. I think Arsenal fans need to understand how drastically Wenger harmed that club – some of us called it as far back as 2006. I was saying to a mate yesterday that Wolves, Leicester and Watford have as good/better players than Arsenal. Don’t believe me? Delofeu would breeze past Iwobi. Doucoure is superior to Xhaka + Mkhitaryan put together. At Wolves, Neves is better than any Arsenal midfielder, and Jota, Cody, Moutinho and Boly all walk into the Arsenal team. Keane at Everton is better than Koscielny and even relegated Tielemans of Leicester is excellent. Maddison more productive than Özil. Fulham have better defenders than Mustafi ffs. SAD!

Emery walked in to not only find this dross, but to find out he wouldn’t have money to spend on upgrades because some fraud opted to pay that rabble £200m a year in wages! Wow. So put it this way, if you gave Pep or Klopp: Mustafi, Özil, Xhaka, Mkhitaryan, Welwide, Koscielny, Jenkinson, El-Nenny, Monreal etc. Would they be outperforming Emery? I say no chance. We saw how badly Klopp struggled with Moreno, Lallana, Lovren and Mignolet – not to mention Pep only just scraping 4th with Sagna, Clichy, Navas and Mangala!

Until Emery can clear out all the shockingly overpaid rubbish Wenger left behind, Arsenal will be shopping in the bargain bins. Pochettino has also exposed what a con-job Arsenal under Wenger was, because with half the wage budget, he built a new stadium and is superbly competitive in the PL and CL (FA Cup? LOL). It’s hilarious mind, because for years we heard uninformed bollocks about Kroenke “denying Arsene funds”. If only he had!
Stewie Griffin (If Emery somehow won the EL, he’d have eclipsed Wenger’s entire 30-year European career in his maiden season)

Can't help but jump in on this. Wenger has destroyed Arsenal and being spewing bollocks to his fans for more than a decade. Almost all the top players left during those years, and he never replaced them.

He had wasted so much of the transfer funds and wages on useless players. So many dodgy buys. Too many bought, loaned out and never played for Arsenal. He kept pointing out his good nose for value, but depleted available funds. No guts to pay top dollars for the best, and yet deplete so much for terrible players.

Post #497603  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:10 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Letter to f365 today

Arsenal bed-wetting

Can't help but jump in on this. Wenger has destroyed Arsenal and being spewing bollocks to his fans for more than a decade. Almost all the top players left during those years, and he never replaced them.

He had wasted so much of the transfer funds and wages on useless players. So many dodgy buys. Too many bought, loaned out and never played for Arsenal. He kept pointing out his good nose for value, but depleted available funds. No guts to pay top dollars for the best, and yet deplete so much for terrible players.

Not this again, sorry but it is quite simple really, Kroenke allowed Wenger to stay around way beyond his sell by date and waste all those funds, how is that Wenger's fault?, managers generally don't sack themselves!.

It is total futility blaming Wenger, Kroenke backed Wenger far too much and should now admit he got it wrong but he won't, instead we'll be back to saving the pennies, all because he got it wrong, now we all have to suffer because he is 'hands off' aka knows f*ck all about football so allowed Wenger to run things into the ground.

Keep blaming Wenger though, that is exactly what Stan wants....

Post #497604  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:24 pm 

..and being petty over the years. We could have had Anelka for a few productive years a dozen years ago or so but he said no. We could have had Fabregas for a few productive years but he said no.
Old news. We had a captain that wasn't good enough to start (BFG, even though I liked him personally).

I still say you can't put the blame totally on Wenger. Wenger isn't the board. Wenger isn't the owner. Kroenke and the board let Wenger do whatever people are blaming him for. I said it then, that what owner and board would not have called Wenger in for a chat during that time? The first time they really stood up to Wenger was last season. Several years too late.

You lead from the top and Kroenke is an absentee owner who I still say couldn't name any position by its proper name past goalkeeper and defense. If he did, he's using ice hockey references because the positions are almost the same. How insane is it to have an owner who doesn't under the sport? The Emirate sheiks understand the sport. We are the ONLY club in the league whose owner doesn't know jack schitt about the sport. That's the real problem. You can't yearn for trophies in a sport you don't understand. I would not be shocked if he came to an away match and had to ask which team is ours because neither are in red. I am not joking either. Because I'd be surprised if he was in the loop to approve new strips.

The squad could and should be better, especially if we are going to try for top 4 in earnest and at least challenge for the title for part of the season. We do need fresh blood, anyone can see that. However, its good enough to. Our form in Europe and against the top 6 recently (admittedly a lot of that at home) suggests we do have it in us and we must take into account the injuries. They are a huge factor (Bellerin, etc). If the present squad had some balls on them we'd be favorites for a top 4 spot right now and possibly vying for 3rd place. Even when losing Sperz looked miles better when we are losing. We don't look like we have a shot at all when we are losing but you can see Man Utd, Chelsea and Sperz look like they could pull something out of their games when losing. We look outplayed. I don't know how to solve that mental strength issue but it desperately needs solving because good players have come in and we still lack it.

When City got their money they were spending hundreds of millions and still bottled plenty of games for a while until they put it all together. They brought in good players during that time. They lacked mental toughness but now have it.

Maybe its a matter of pride for us. Who on the squad can you say are fighting for the shirt? That they truly love the club like the players years ago did? Or even close?

Post #497605  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:50 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Not this again, sorry but it is quite simple really, Kroenke allowed Wenger to stay around way beyond his sell by date and waste all those funds, how is that Wenger's fault?, managers generally don't sack themselves!.

It is total futility blaming Wenger, Kroenke backed Wenger far too much and should now admit he got it wrong but he won't, instead we'll be back to saving the pennies, all because he got it wrong, now we all have to suffer because he is 'hands off' aka knows f*ck all about football so allowed Wenger to run things into the ground.

I get all that and I hate Kroenke too and yes he took way too long to sack Wenger but it was only in the last couple of seasons where the majority of our fans wanted Wenger out and started being vocal. I used to get chewed out on here for suggesting it.

It wasn’t kroenke who spunked 100 million on perez, Xhaka and Mustafi or let Ramsey and Sanchez run their contracts down.

Post #497606  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:51 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:

After having Wenger in post for 22 years, I can now see Arsenal becoming a sacking club. Poor performances on the pitch, driven to a significant extent by the lack of funds Kroenke lets them spend, could lead to the head coach being dismissed at regular intervals after the fans got irate with him.

It's a way of deflecting blame from Kroenke. A sort of 'look, I have done my bit by sacking an underporming manager after a bad seson or two. So do not blame me as I am not to blame'.

Post #497607  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:34 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:

After having Wenger in post for 22 years, I can now see Arsenal becoming a sacking club. Poor performances on the pitch, driven to a significant extent by the lack of funds Kroenke lets them spend, could lead to the head coach being dismissed at regular intervals after the fans got irate with him.

It's a way of deflecting blame from Kroenke. A sort of 'look, I have done my bit by sacking an underporming manager after a bad seson or two. So do not blame me as I am not to blame'.

I can see that too.

Enabled by fans having ago at managers because the players aren’t showing enough pashun (whilst clearly not being good enough)

Post #497608  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:

I hadn't thought of that but you could be right, the only thing that might stop this happening is having to pay up the remaining years of the contract should he sack them, we all know how cheap Stan is, maybe he'll keep giving out 1 year rolling deals to any Tom, Dick or Harry so that he doesn't have to!.

Post #497609  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:46 pm 

...on a side note.

Game of Thrones!!! Epic Episode 3

If the show's characters were Arsenal.

The Mad King - Kroenke
Jon Snow - Emery (put in an impossible situation)
Hand of the King (former) - Gazidis
Robert Barotheon - Wenger (Started off great but ended in disaster)
Littlefinger - Dein (machinations that eventually backfired)
The small council - The Arsenal board that sold us out.

Post #497610  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:08 pm 

In the 2015/16 season Emery's Sevilla went the whole season without winning a single away game.

Post #497611  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:35 pm 

socrates wrote:
In the 2015/16 season Emery's Sevilla went the whole season without winning a single away game.
That was Arsene Wenger's fault...

Post #497612  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:55 pm 

Can we stop with the Emery inherited dross and any manager is bound to fail with this lot narrative? He, along with a bunch of other managers, applied for the job knowing full well what he's getting himself into. He's confident of doing the job required of an Arsenal head coach, and if he can't, it simply means he and the board had over-estimated his capability.

Post #497613  Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:10 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
That is the same storybook that has Mustafi as a very good player. He is a politican who is saying what the masses want to hear. He does not believe it.

Oh yeah :laughing7: ..... and who pray tell me .... in the masses wants to hear / or agrees that Mustafi is a very good player ....?

Post #497614  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:29 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
That is the same storybook that has Mustafi as a very good player. He is a politican who is saying what the masses want to hear. He does not believe it.

Oh yeah :laughing7: ..... and who pray tell me .... in the masses wants to hear / or agrees that Mustafi is a very good player ....?

People may not agree but it is softening the ground for when he is still at the club at the start of next season. Wants us to believe that there is a very good player in there who is about to be released.

By the way what home remedy did you try that almost ended your time with us? And the reaction of your missus - do you want to tell us?

Post #497615  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:37 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
However that aside I can’t get the thought out of my head that this squad is one of the most mediocre we have had in years. There’s absolute dross in the squad because Gazidis let Wenger run his squad down. I don’t even think our players are even as good as the ones we had a few seasons back?

Would you swap Kolasinac for clichy ?
Would you swap mhikitaryan for Walcott?
Would you swap Iwobi for the OX?
Would you swap Xhaka for Cazorla?

I would and some of those players who left are hardly world beaters, the team is visibly worse than a few years back.

Do you think a 5th or 6th place finish would be disappointing from Emery considering the circumstances? I think Chelsea and spurs have far better players than us and are underachieving in the league.

Apart from the other burning issues you raise (eg Kolasinac or Clichy?), why do you think that Chelsea, Spurs and for that matter, Manchester United, are struggling so much in this league?

Post #497616  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:00 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
However that aside I can’t get the thought out of my head that this squad is one of the most mediocre we have had in years. There’s absolute dross in the squad because Gazidis let Wenger run his squad down. I don’t even think our players are even as good as the ones we had a few seasons back?

Would you swap Kolasinac for clichy ?
Would you swap mhikitaryan for Walcott?
Would you swap Iwobi for the OX?
Would you swap Xhaka for Cazorla?

I would and some of those players who left are hardly world beaters, the team is visibly worse than a few years back.

Do you think a 5th or 6th place finish would be disappointing from Emery considering the circumstances? I think Chelsea and spurs have far better players than us and are underachieving in the league.

Apart from the other burning issues you raise (eg Kolasinac or Clichy?), why do you think that Chelsea, Spurs and for that matter, Manchester United, are struggling so much in this league?

Chelsea and United due to continuous managerial instability. (Particularly united as Chelsea are more used to it) . They are better than they have shown this year with the personnel they have.

Tottenham due to their attention being consumed by the champions league and loss of focus by all the stadium nonsense

Post #497617  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:38 am 

Goonie wrote:
Can we stop with the Emery inherited dross and any manager is bound to fail with this lot narrative? He, along with a bunch of other managers, applied for the job knowing full well what he's getting himself into. He's confident of doing the job required of an Arsenal head coach, and if he can't, it simply means he and the board had over-estimated his capability.

What were the expectations of Emery given the players he had and the £60m odd he had to spend?
Some people say if he got back in the top 4 at the first time of asking it would be a miracle, others too 4 was the expectation.
Getting back in the champions league was his brief for me. I’d much rather he does that via the Europa League cup win than the league!

Post #497618  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:55 am 

Trying to remain positive

In the summer if we could flog Mustafi, Chambers and el Nenny for about 40 million we could have a transfer pot of around 80 or 90. That would give Emery the money he needs for about 4 players if spent wisely like we did last summer. No matter what we say this is surely possible and then going into next season with renewed hope could be possible.

Post #497619  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:59 am 

Goonie wrote:

The narrative we were given was that he is an incredibly studious and driven manager who would leave no stone unturned in his pursuit of excellence. By all accounts he came to his interviews with dossiers on players and explained how he was going to improve them.

Well, injuries aside there is little improvement to be seen defensively. We are top of the league for mistakes leading directly to goals.

I know people were incredibly bored by Wenger's tippy tappy football but when you see us outplayed and outfought by Leicester, who enjoyed the lion's share of the possession and frankly made us look second rate both physically and technically, I find that pretty hard to stomach.

When Emery arrived it seemed he was promising exciting high tempo football with us on the front foot most of the time. I get that we have some limited players but even so we are quite stodgy in our play, even at home, and the less said about our away performances the better.

Post #497620  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:06 am 

So let’s say we fire Emery. Who do we get to replace him?

What manager out there can draw better defensive performances from Mustafi, Monreal and Xhaka.

Even George couldn’t get that lot defending

Post #497621  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:13 am 

Personally I think many of the players look dead on their feet at the moment. They had 2 pretty big games against Napoli (people talking about wot progress ? Arsene would have lost that)

Incidentally I don’t think the Europa league is helping us get a higher league position. Imagine if we didn’t have to play all those games this season. Surely top 4 would have been a genuine possibility

Post #497622  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:24 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

What manager out there can draw better defensive performances from Mustafi, Monreal and Xhaka.

They are still international footballers. Surely, they cannot be as bad as they look?

I am not advocating sacking Emery but I am increasingly underwhelmed by his management. Now we could end the season with a european trophy, although getting past Valencia is certainly no gimme with some of the bottlers we have, which would be amazing. We could also have a fantastic summer of transfer activity, both ins and outs.

I think what I am really saying is that the signs are a little disappointing at the moment but I don't think we have any choice but to see how the rest of the season and the summer plays out before we can draw any meaningful conclusions.

Post #497623  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:47 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I think it's unfair to mention Monreal if you're not going to name Koscielny through an act of respect for the latter. Both fine players in their day but the fact is they've grown old together. I'd actually be surprised if Koscielny hasn't given away more goals this season than Monreal.

They both need replacing, so why mention Monreal but not Koscielny? Because if it is due to respect for Koscielny, which I completely understand and inded share, then Monreal deserves exactly the same respect.

Post #497624  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:51 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

They are still international footballers. Surely, they cannot be as bad as they look?

I am not advocating sacking Emery but I am increasingly underwhelmed by his management. Now we could end the season with a european trophy, although getting past Valencia is certainly no gimme with some of the bottlers we have, which would be amazing. We could also have a fantastic summer of transfer activity, both ins and outs.

I think what I am really saying is that the signs are a little disappointing at the moment but I don't think we have any choice but to see how the rest of the season and the summer plays out before we can draw any meaningful conclusions.

I think the last 4 league games have been unacceptable. I’m on the fence about him as he’s made mistakes but I just don’t believe many other managers getting more out of Mustafi and Xhaka and co.

I just look at our weird line up for the Everton game,

Xhaka and Torreira, basically 2 midfield anchors not really a distribution hub,

Then ..

Iwobi Plus Mhikitaryan who just run down alleys.

It’s simply not a recipe to create chances and then you look on the bench and there’s barely anything there. You couldn’t criticise the starting line up.

There is no dynamic player in our squad, nobody who can deliver a final ball of any quality or who can manipulate the ball like an Ericsson.

I’m really not sure from a managerial position he could have done anything more in that game yet he’s getting pelters. If you can’t retain possession your defence will be under the cosh.

Post #497625  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think it's unfair to mention Monreal if you're not going to name Koscielny through an act of respect for the latter. Both fine players in their day but the fact is they've grown old together. I'd actually be surprised if Koscielny hasn't given away more goals this season than Monreal.

They both need replacing, so why mention Monreal but not Koscielny? Because if it is due to respect for Koscielny, which I completely understand and inded share, then Monreal deserves exactly the same respect.

I think they are both decent servants who have had their time but for me Monreal looks the least preferable to be able to deliver at the level we need right now. Kosielny could be brought in for 5 to 8 games a season as an experienced head.

Post #497626  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:55 am 

Rich wrote:
Getting back in the champions league was his brief for me. I’d much rather he does that via the Europa League cup win than the league!

Me too. Trophy wins are more memorable and enjoyable than a top four finish. They end up on the clubs honours list. The only top four finishes that do are when you actually win the league.

Post #497627  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think they are both decent servants who have had their time but for me Monreal looks the least preferable to be able to deliver at the level we need right now. Kosielny could be brought in for 5 to 8 games a season as an experienced head.

I disagree. Moreover, Koscielny is even older than Monreal and has lost his pace, such a strong quality for him once. We've seen it this season, most recently with Vardy's first at Leicester. If he plays eight games next season we're in just as much trouble as if Monreal does.

Post #497628  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I disagree. Moreover, Koscielny is even older than Monreal and has lost his pace, such a strong quality for him once. We've seen it this season, most recently with Vardy's first at Leicester. If he plays eight games next season we're in just as much trouble as if Monreal does.

Thinking more on the lines of 8 games in the Europa or league cup.

Think Mertesackers last year with us.

Post #497629  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:37 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Thinking more on the lines of 8 games in the Europa or league cup.

Think Mertesackers last year with us.

We could probably get away with Monreal in some of the Europa League group games and some of the League Cup games too.

Post #497630  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:32 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Both Kos and Monreal have probably been shielded somewhat by simply not being the worst of a bad bunch.
Arsenal fans are generally happier when Koscielny is in the team but he is still prone to errors.

For the future Arsenal defence it feels like a whole new one is required. bellerin, Holding, leno can be built around. Sokratis is ok but still makes match-losing mistakes. Mustafi should be sold, Koscielny can't play as much as we need, Monreal is out of contract and I don't trust Kolasinac to play left back.

Ideally you want a minimum of 8 defenders for your squad, 2 for each position and some flexibility with a CB who can play RB/LB or vice versa. There is no way we're buying 5 new defenders this summer but in order of minimums I'd say we need
1. a CB
2. a CB and a LB
3. a CB, a LB and a RB (move AMN in to midfield)
4. 2 CB, a LB and a RB
No. 2 is most likely I'd say. Both players should be aged around 23-24, bags of pace and power and if they could actually display some leadership skills that would be nice!

Post #497631  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:00 pm 

I’m surprised more wasn’t made of Maddison’s blatant dive to get AMN sent off. He clearly wasn’t touched, no problem him jumping out of the way if he thinks he’s going to be touched, but he then rolled around on the floor screaming and holding his ankles. The replays show AMN going up to Maddison and saying “that’s not good Mads” they must be mates from the U21 set up.
Diving and feigning injury to get a player sent off of far worse than diving to win a penalty in my book.

Hope the Emirates crowd remember that when Maddison plays there next season

Post #497632  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:46 pm 

Not sure anyone has mentioned that we’re playing against Gabriel and Coquelin on Thursday. Both are first choice for Valencia.

If I’ve remembered them both correctly I’m looking forward to a series of reckless challenges when already on yellow cards, plenty of misplaced forward passes and general lack of concentration when one of our players makes a run in the box

Post #497633  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:27 pm 

A few articles have cropped up in the media criticising Emery’s tactics quoting player sources. Interesting, wonder why this is happening.

Post #497634  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Afternoon Bern

But they're not that old.

Lee Dixon played until he was 38. Nigel Winterburn left us at 37 to play 3 more year at West Ham. Martin Keown played for us until he was 38 then left to play for Leicester. Tony Adams retired at 36 and David O’Leary left for Leeds at 35. Rio Ferdinand played for Man U until he was 36, then played another year for QPR.

Monreal and Koscielny are both 33. That's not old for defenders.

Post #497635  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:50 pm 

Rich wrote:
Not sure anyone has mentioned that we’re playing against Gabriel and Coquelin on Thursday.

So Aug 2016, Mustafi from Valencia to Arsenal for £35m. Aug 2017, Gabriel from Arsenal to Valencia for £10m.

Hmmm...

Post #497636  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:02 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Afternoon Bern

Lee Dixon played until he was 38. Nigel Winterburn left us at 37 to play 3 more year at West Ham. Martin Keown played for us until he was 38 then left to play for Leicester. Tony Adams retired at 36 and David O’Leary left for Leeds at 35. Rio Ferdinand played for Man U until he was 36, then played another year for QPR.

I think if you have any aspirations of winning a title you can’t have a 37 year old full back in your regular starting 11. In Dixon’s last season he played about a dozen times if I recall so was used sparingly.

He was 37 when he got roasted by Michael Owen in that cup final. Total mismatch and it was obvious we needed reinforcements

I think centre halves can get by on their wit and positioning a little but full backs have to do literally tons of running so if you have one older than 33 they can’t be first choice. When Ashley Cole came into the side the more energy we had was visible

Post #497637  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:04 pm 

I'm afraid I don’t look for next season's saviours amongst the injured list. Rob Holding has appeared 31 times for us over 3 seasons; he made 15 starts this season, often because he was the last option, but was he really particulalry impressive? Wellbeck has started just once for us in the PL this season. Nice bloke but even when picked, has he ever maintained even a reasonable period of good form? Of our returning wounded, only Bellerin could be confident of selection based on performances.

Someone here mentioned how we have missed Cazorla, and I agree. We haven't had much quality - if any - in central mf since he got crocked. He would have improved us.

Post #497638  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:09 pm 

Wenger out!

Oh, he already is. Thank goodness :12hello-bye:

Post #497639  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:13 pm 

DHD wrote:

Someone here mentioned how we have missed Cazorla, and I agree. We haven't had much quality - if any - in central mf since he got crocked. He would have improved us.

That was me

I think we miss him almost as much as Sanchez. I think him and Coquelin are a far better midfield base than Torreira and Xhaka which is too defensive as they are too similar.

I just used to love how Santi would be able to take the ball off our centre halves and hit passes off either foot that would start attacks (not square it via a cross field ball but put the ball forward) since he went Out of the side I don’t think we really are able to control games the way we did.

A Santi + Torreira midfield would have been perfect (if a little short :laughing7: )

Post #497640  Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Afternoon Bern

I think if you have any aspirations of winning a title you can’t have a 37 year old full back in your regular starting 11. In Dixon’s last season he played about a dozen times if I recall so was used sparingly.

He was 37 when he got roasted by Michael Owen in that cup final. Total mismatch and it was obvious we needed reinforcements

I think centre halves can get by on their wit and positioning a little but full backs have to do literally tons of running so if you have one older than 33 they can’t be first choice. When Ashley Cole came into the side the more energy we had was visible

Evening TG

Cole is still playing at 38 - not as well, obviously but at 33 he was a regular in Chelsea's first team until he was edged out because his contract was expiring. I agree Dixon was past his best against Owen - but he was 37. I can't be certain but I'm pretty sure it would've been a different story if he'd been 33, which I maintain is not particularly old for a fullback.

[ 570666 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12438, 12439, 12440, 12441, 12442, 12443, 12444 ... 14267  Next