Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], mcquilkie, warrior and 12 guests

Post #497521  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:35 pm 

OGS was right. We were going to bottle it. It's painful but if one can step away emotionally and be objective, Emery has done well considering everything. The bad news is if the rumors about money are true, it won't get any better. Emery has to be thinking 'what have I got myself into?'. If he were to go, we don't have the status anymore to bring in a top top manager. We can't offer money for transfers. Allegri's main reason for not coming. We will be one of those clubs with a history but no recent success. So the managers we would get are the ones that have done well at a smaller club and trying to step up to a bigger club. The Zindanes, etc. are not a reality for us. 2004 or 2005 we could pretty much get just about any manager. Now? No way.

Where is the on pitch leadership? We don't have an Adams or Vieira type of leadership any longer. Is Kos respected like that? I don't know.

This squad only gets up for Europa. They don't want to put in the work required to get into the CL proper. I'm not even interested in the City or Man Utd vs Chelsea game anymore. Why bother?

Post #497522  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:36 pm 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Ramsey’s injury cost us dearly and I bet Emery now regrets not trying to keep him.

I’d literally hand Ramsey Xhakas salary as a pay rise and play mainland miles next to him instead

I think Hodd's post recently explained that well. At some stage the club has to stop being held to ransom. Unfortunately it is Ramsey and he'll be a hard act to replace but that nonsense had to stop.

I totally agree and I’m not againest us deciding withdraw our offer but it’s just ironic that we missed him so much recently and he’s clearly been our best player

Post #497523  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:37 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Week in,week out, our final ball cannot find our own player. What does Emery practice with the squad? Oh, I forgot ..... our attacking players were training against our shite defence. No wonder Emery thought Iwobi and Mkhitaryan are excellent players.

When will you sort it out? The team is mentally weak. Lacazette is just like Giroud, falling over and grimacing and complaining all the time. Referees get tired of it and you will not get the benefit of their call.

Something is wrong with Aubameyang. I think he will request to leave this summer.

The passing is very bad it has to be said, basic passes going astray, opportunities squandered by a poor pass in the build up.

Post #497524  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:39 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Niall wrote:
I think Hodd's post recently explained that well. At some stage the club has to stop being held to ransom. Unfortunately it is Ramsey and he'll be a hard act to replace but that nonsense had to stop.

I totally agree and I’m not againest us deciding withdraw our offer but it’s just ironic that we missed him so much recently and he’s clearly been our best player

Yes he has been our best player recently, by a distance.

Post #497525  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:39 pm 

Palace, wolves, Leicester- 3 losses and these players are the ones who would walk in to our starting 11
Palace: zaha, milivojevic, sahko, Van aanholt
Wolves: jonny, boly, neves, moutinho, jota, doherty(with Bellerin injured)
Leicester: chilwell, Maguire, tielemans, ndidi, maddison

You could do this for virtually every team outside of the relegation zone

Why did we get Suarez in jan when Tielemans was available, I was keen for us to get this kid from anderlecht before he even went to Monaco

Post #497526  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:39 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Niall wrote:
Emery has done as well as he could with the players he inherited. He has some good results we probably would not have had under late AW against Spurs (h & a); Utd (h & a); Chelsea at home and Liverpool at home. Also got to include the win over Napoli which was a great result over the two legs. He's done fantastically well at the Emirates with two more big results needed at home against Brighton and Valencia.

He's tried away from home but we have been awful on the road bar the point at Spurs and we should have won at Old Trafford.

Wenger's last season away from home was also awful.

Basically, two managers have failed to make the team competitive away from home so it is clearly an issue with the players we have in the team rather than the coach.

We need a bit of excitement now which means Emery being given the tools to bring in new players and utterly dismantle this team. I can take 5th or 6th if I see a young team progressing with a new, exciting approach rather than the same old sheight served up by this bunch who lack the determination and nous to play away to some of the lower lights of the English Premier League.

Agree 100% with all of this.

To all the people complaining about Emery must be ignoring our progress. We look much better in big games than we did before but eventually our squad size and quality will let us down.

Iwobi doesn’t get in the first 11 of palace,wolves or Leicester yet he’s played more than most of our players this year.

No top 4 club would have Xhaka in midfield (he looked *%^@ again today)

We need to admit some of these players have had their chance and I would love to see more of willock in the last 2 games.

Time to follow the klopp model. Try youngsters, remove the over paid elder players clearly in their comfort zone and start afresh.

Last summer we just patched things up

Agree 100% regards blooding in the youngsters for the unmotivated and highly paid bums. Mkhitaryan is first on my list.

Post #497527  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
Not to pick on him because he’s nowhere near the worst but Guendouzi for that 3rd goal was pathetic. Dribbled last twice far too easy.

Bernard, it’s not the first time I’ve seen him done for pace or not tracked a runner defensively. It’s these things that concern me a bit about Guendouzi because for a top end midfielder these things should be naturally ingrained in you as a professional well before you are 19

I’m not saying I want Guendouzi to leave but I am saying that given £50-60m I would sell him. I fear for any player in our team without pace because the prem is more and more about pace!

I think Guendozi in his own is fine but you have Xhaka next to him. I couldn’t advocate selling the youngster whilst we have mustafi el nenny and xhaka on our books !!

I'd rather cash in on Bellerin/Lacazette assuming we can find replacements (and Aubameyang hangs around). Bellerin we know is good on his day going forward but is poor defensively. Lacazette hasn't convinced me he's a top quality striker and I'd take a good offer for him. Strangely his reputation still seems to be intact despite many average performances and a few bad misses in big games.

Marc Overmars doing his reputation no harm at Ajax.

Post #497528  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:43 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

This squad only gets up for Europa. They don't want to put in the work required to get into the CL proper. I'm not even interested in the City or Man Utd vs Chelsea game anymore. Why bother?

Everyone should watch city, our players should be forced to watch them. The most extensively assembled and gifted team but they are also the hardest working off the ball.
Bernardo Silva is a magician with the ball, a 10 who has changed his game to play wide or deeper and no player has run further than him in 90 minutes this season. He has the top 2 spots. And I think Eriksen is right up there as well. Just because you are good with the ball at your feet and the creative hub of the team doesn’t mean you shirk workrate. No excuse at all

Post #497529  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
Palace, wolves, Leicester- 3 losses and these players are the ones who would walk in to our starting 11

Why did we get Suarez in jan when Tielemans was available, I was keen for us to get this kid from anderlecht before he even went to Monaco

That 21 year old Leicester kid who looks like one of the Jackson 5 outplayed Xhaka and Torreira today.

I am wondering if Torreira is just too small for the PL despite his tenacity. He was bullied by Leicester.

Post #497530  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
Not to pick on him because he’s nowhere near the worst but Guendouzi for that 3rd goal was pathetic. Dribbled last twice far too easy.

Bernard, it’s not the first time I’ve seen him done for pace or not tracked a runner defensively. It’s these things that concern me a bit about Guendouzi because for a top end midfielder these things should be naturally ingrained in you as a professional well before you are 19

I’m not saying I want Guendouzi to leave but I am saying that given £50-60m I would sell him. I fear for any player in our team without pace because the prem is more and more about pace!

I think Guendozi in his own is fine but you have Xhaka next to him. I couldn’t advocate selling the youngster whilst we have mustafi el nenny and xhaka on our books !!

There is a difference between wanting a player gone and receiving a big offer for a player you want to keep. Certainly drive the likes of mustafi and Xhaka out of the club first but a big offer for even on of our best players can help a wider rebuild of the squad

Post #497531  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:35 pm 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
Really *%^@*** *%^@ week. Three awful performances. I really don't think the majority of the team are good enough for anything more than fifth or sixth position. Nine goals conceded in the last three games tells you all you need to know. First time since 1967 we have conceded three goals in three consecutive games. And if Leno had played like he did at Wolves, Leicester could have had five or six. Total lack of effort and application. Really poor from top to bottom of club. No *%^@*** plan on or off the pitch. *%^@*** jokers, all of them. No right back worth playing. Left back is too old and alternative cannot defend. Mustafi is a car crash waiting to happen. Sokratis getting on, Kos too old. Midfield are a bunch of fannies always falling over, rolling around or sh1%%&ng out of tackles. Good job we won't qualify for ECL because we would get well and truly shafted the first time we came up against a half decent team

We've become Spurs. Gutless flatterers ...

Post #497532  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:36 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

That 21 year old Leicester kid who looks like one of the Jackson 5 outplayed Xhaka and Torreira today.

I am wondering if Torreira is just too small for the PL despite his tenacity. He was bullied by Leicester.

Kante is no bigger, I believe Torreira will be better next season. Regards decisions on who we get in, I'm not sure who runs the club at the moment.

Post #497533  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:50 pm 

socrates wrote:
I thought Xhaka just stood and watched as Tielemans ran in from outside the box to score with the header. He was the nearest man and should have tracked his run, instead he just absolved himself of the responsibility.

I think that kind of attitude sums up far too many in our team. They don’t take the action themselves, instead passing it on to the next man or hoping the officials will give them whatever it is they are appealing for. Mustafi is exactly the same in defensive positions.
In attacking positions Özil and Mkhitaryan do this, “oh well he’s past me, we’ve still got 7 men behind me to defend that”
Midfielder making a run in to the box “that’s for the CB to deal with”
Long ball over the top “why hasn’t the GK charged 30 yards out of his goal to sweep up, I shouldn’t have to chase back for that!”

Passing the buck for far too long

Post #497534  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:51 pm 

Frustrating and ironic that the 3 players we lost to season long injuries are 3 of the few players in the squad with great attitudes and who relate well to the fans

Post #497535  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:06 pm 

Top 4 is really gone but if we want any chance then Man U v Chelsea has to be a draw.
Man U have Huddersfield and Cardiff - no matter how bad Man U have been they’ll win both of those
Chelsea have Watford and Leicester. Much tougher.

If today is a draw then we’re two behind Chelsea and 1 ahead of Man U. We can stay ahead of Man U by obviously winning both and can then beat Chelsea if they draw or lose one of their two.

Only a draw allows us to have a chance.....and to mess up that chance v Burnley on the final day

Post #497536  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
Top 4 is really gone but if we want any chance then Man U v Chelsea has to be a draw.
Man U have Huddersfield and Cardiff - no matter how bad Man U have been they’ll win both of those
Chelsea have Watford and Leicester. Much tougher.

If today is a draw then we’re two behind Chelsea and 1 ahead of Man U. We can stay ahead of Man U by obviously winning both and can then beat Chelsea if they draw or lose one of their two.

Only a draw allows us to have a chance.....and to mess up that chance v Burnley on the final day

Can I save you the thought?

It’s gone we won’t do it, it was gone after palace like I said. Also I bet Emery knows this and will act accordingly.

Now it’s all about Valencia but personally I hope the season ends as soon as possible and a solid part of me wants Valencia to beat us because losing to Chelsea in a European final would be horrendous.

Post #497537  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:35 pm 

Niall wrote:
Rich wrote:

I wouldn't sell Guendouzi, I saw so much potential in him in the game at the Ethiad that it would be madness to let him go. Yes he has made some mistakes but he brings an energy and a likeable passion to the team that could be invaluable going forward. I only caught a replay of the 3rd goal but there were 3-4 players culpable there, not one of them tried to actually tackle the opponent.

Thanks to Niall I don't have to do a detailed reply. Rich, you've gone on so much about us losing money in the transfer market, it's idiotic to want Guendouzi sold for £50m. That's a ridiculously low price considering his potential.

Also, he's not as slow as you make out. I'd bet Guendouzi to beat Ramsey in a race, that's for sure.

Post #497538  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:41 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ramsey’s injury cost us dearly and I bet Emery now regrets not trying to keep him.

I’d literally hand Ramsey Xhakas salary as a pay rise and play maitland niles next to him instead

To be fair though, as you have pointed out, Ramsey only started performing once he'd joined Juventus, albeit for next season. A coincidence, or an outcome of attitude?

Post #497539  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Can I save you the thought?

It’s gone we won’t do it, it was gone after palace like I said. Also I bet Emery knows this and will act accordingly.

[/quote]

I agree. If we had beaten Palace even now we would have been 2 points above Man U and Chelsea. I just hope this unfortunately timed collapse allows Emery to get some significant cash from Kroenke to rebuild the team.....not that I expect that to happen. I don't particularly like the CL thanks to our pathetic attempts to compete in it under Wenger, but we desperately need the additional cash it generates.

Post #497540  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Niall wrote:
I wouldn't sell Guendouzi, I saw so much potential in him in the game at the Ethiad that it would be madness to let him go. Yes he has made some mistakes but he brings an energy and a likeable passion to the team that could be invaluable going forward. I only caught a replay of the 3rd goal but there were 3-4 players culpable there, not one of them tried to actually tackle the opponent.

Thanks to Niall I don't have to do a detailed reply. Rich, you've gone on so much about us losing money in the transfer market, it's idiotic to want Guendouzi sold for £50m. That's a ridiculously low price considering his potential.

Also, he's not as slow as you make out. I'd bet Guendouzi to beat Ramsey in a race, that's for sure.

I don’t see the problem with going on about losing money in the transfer market? That along with idiotic defending have been two of our biggest and consistent downfalls in the last 10 years.
I would say that given our record sale is £35m that there is more chance of Guendouzi not being worth £50m than being worth £50m in his time with us. £50m based on today’s equivalent market in the future, because inflation may push his value up but then so would any player we need to buy.
I don’t want Guendouzi sold, my original point was that our players aren’t exactly in high demand, and we have a huge rebuilding job to do and if we receive a big offer for one of our players I would be keen to sell.
Sometimes I think we need to be open to take a hit in one area in order to strengthen the whole team. There are 15 first team players I’d sell before I sold him but very few of those are interesting the biggest clubs in the world.
I want a total rebuild at arsenal, I want rid of so many failing players. If we only have £40m to spend then we’re just looking at virtually exactly the same team for next season.
If you think £50m is ridiculously low then there should be queues of big clubs lining up to bid that or less this summer trying to nab a bargain?
Norwich wouldn’t have wanted to sell Maddison but they did, for big money and built a better squad that got them promoted. There is a method that can work by selling your best players.

Post #497541  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:20 pm 

Hey Kiwi. Great to see you back and it sounds like you've had a rough time. Hope things have sorted themselves out for you.

Post #497542  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’d literally hand Ramsey Xhakas salary as a pay rise and play maitland niles next to him instead

To be fair though, as you have pointed out, Ramsey only started performing once he'd joined Juventus, albeit for next season. A coincidence, or an outcome of attitude?

Emery only started putting him in the starting 11 in the second half of the season. Ramsey has been thoroughly professional in his approach.

Post #497543  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:32 pm 

Rich wrote:

You can pick players from opposing teams who are better than ours in certain positions. But let's be honest, Leicester, Wolves and Palace do not have better teams than us. Three defeats in a row conceding 3 goals in each. There's no way I give Emery a pass on this. He's had the squad for a season now. A week ago we found ourselves in a position where a few wins against weaker opponents would probably get us a CL spot. It's been pathetic and the manager is part of that. Let's not forget that he didn't put Özil or Ramsey in his first 11 for many many games while guys like Iwobi and Mkhitaryan are preferred. And the Suarez loan? WTF?

Post #497544  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
I don’t see the problem with going on about losing money in the transfer market? That along with idiotic defending have been two of our biggest and consistent downfalls in the last 10 years.
I would say that given our record sale is £35m that there is more chance of Guendouzi not being worth £50m than being worth £50m in his time with us. £50m based on today’s equivalent market in the future, because inflation may push his value up but then so would any player we need to buy.
I don’t want Guendouzi sold, my original point was that our players aren’t exactly in high demand, and we have a huge rebuilding job to do and if we receive a big offer for one of our players I would be keen to sell.
Sometimes I think we need to be open to take a hit in one area in order to strengthen the whole team. There are 15 first team players I’d sell before I sold him but very few of those are interesting the biggest clubs in the world.
I want a total rebuild at arsenal, I want rid of so many failing players. If we only have £40m to spend then we’re just looking at virtually exactly the same team for next season.
If you think £50m is ridiculously low then there should be queues of big clubs lining up to bid that or less this summer trying to nab a bargain?
Norwich wouldn’t have wanted to sell Maddison but they did, for big money and built a better squad that got them promoted. There is a method that can work by selling your best players.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Guendouzi will be worth much, much more than £50m is worth now. That's why I find your moans about us losing money in the transfer market not only ludicrous but hypocritical. Even with an extra £50m we cannot rebuild the whole team. For a start Guendouzi would need replacing. I bet if Arsenal announced his selling price as £50m, there'd be a stampede amongst the world's richest clubs because it's practically a give away price.

Post #497545  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:33 pm 

He is an easy target but Emery is not the problem. Has he made mistakes? Definitely. But when you look it all in the bigger picture he was also dealing with a lot of issues that I and possibly others have noted.

It will be a shame to see Ramsey go and if we are honest the money isn't the issue, its the player. If we were able to get a world class player in the same position we would gladly pay the same wage. Ramsey wasn't worth it. I get that. But lets not say its the amount. If Messi decided in some delusional state of mind he wanted to come to The Arsenal and forced a transfer for the same fee, we'd pay it.

And here is some hard truths. If what we know about the transfer budget situation for the summer is true and the fact Kroenke is an absentee owner in both mind and body, things won't get any better. We could be looking at falling lower down the table. We will sell a lot of players this summer and continue to roll the dice hoping the incoming players gel and somehow bring some esprit de corps mentality to the squad. I'm personally hoping we use more of the hungry and talented youth players.

The frustrating thing is the same squad that can win away in Italy in theory a side miles better than Wolves and Leicester can't win away in our own league. We won and kept a clean sheet at Sporting Lisbon and Napoli (as well as another side). And if for some miracle we win the Europa cup, I'm not sure how happy I will be? I am not saying I won't be happy but how much I can't say if this league collapse continues for the next couple games. Anti climatic is possibly a description that may be apropos.

And yes, I'll continue to say it sarcastically "thank you David Dein" for bringing Kroenke (and Usmanov) to The Arsenal. Ultimately the adage you get the club you deserve may apply to the amount of season ticket holders and buyers of merchandise who don't want to 'revolt'.

Post #497546  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:36 pm 

Can you imagine if Wenger was kept for this season? Wenger should thank the fates for leaving the way he did. It would have saved him the humiliation of being sacked mid season and there would have been odds at Ladbrokes about who would go first, Mourinho or Wenger.

We have gotten more points than we had all last season with 2 matches to go. Enough said about any questions if Emery is right for the job in lieu of recent results. Frustrating as they are.

Post #497547  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:37 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

You can pick players from opposing teams who are better than ours in certain positions. But let's be honest, Leicester, Wolves and Palace do not have better teams than us. Three defeats in a row conceding 3 goals in each. There's no way I give Emery a pass on this. He's had the squad for a season now. A week ago we found ourselves in a position where a few wins against weaker opponents would probably get us a CL spot. It's been pathetic and the manager is part of that. Let's not forget that he didn't put Özil or Ramsey in his first 11 for many many games while guys like Iwobi and Mkhitaryan are preferred. And the Suarez loan? WTF?

I think Suarez had nothing to do with Emery. Reeks of sanelhi who was ex Barca and brought in an ex player. We had no money for a permanent transfer so you are literally only going to get a player nobody wants.

There’s 15 points between us an Leicester who would never believe they are competing for top4 and have a Stadium half our size. I counted 4 players they had that literally walk into our side. That’s beyond any manager to change until the personnel changes

Post #497548  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:47 pm 

We owe mhikitaryan 20 million quid.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... s-16192382

Obviously this is down to Emery

Post #497549  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:16 pm 

Arsenal’s women win the league despite Man City having not lost a game so far

Post #497550  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:18 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

All true but only a few years ago you would struggle to name more than 2-3 players from below Arsenal in the table who we’d take ahead of our best 11. Now there are plenty. A combination of our poor team and lower teams being able to strengthen and spend very well

Post #497551  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:22 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Can you imagine if Wenger was kept for this season? Wenger should thank the fates for leaving the way he did. It would have saved him the humiliation of being sacked mid season and there would have been odds at Ladbrokes about who would go first, Mourinho or Wenger.

We have gotten more points than we had all last season with 2 matches to go. Enough said about any questions if Emery is right for the job in lieu of recent results. Frustrating as they are.

Basically, you seem to be saying that because Arsenal only achieved 63 points last season, the fact that Emery has 'already' got 66 (and we might just stagger to 70 points) 'proves' we dodged a bullet and should not look a gift horse (Emery) in the mouth ...

Actually, under Wenger, Arsenal dipped below 70 points on three occasions (four if you count 05/06 and 06/07 as separate occasions).
'97: after which we bounced back and won the league, albeit with only 78 point.
'06 and '07: after which we very nearly won the league.
'11, after which we didn't do much but hardly collapsed ...

So, while I agree that his exit was long overdue, you have no way of knowing what would have happened if Wenger had stayed another season. Once again you demonstrate your very irritating habit of taking a small sample and extrapolating into the future with aggravating certainly.

Post #497552  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:37 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The frustrating thing is the same squad that can win away in Italy in theory a side miles better than Wolves and Leicester can't win away in our own league. We won and kept a clean sheet at Sporting Lisbon and Napoli (as well as another side). And if for some miracle we win the Europa cup, I'm not sure how happy I will be? I am not saying I won't be happy but how much I can't say if this league collapse continues for the next couple games.

Firstly, if you are going to be happy as a football supporter you need to either (a) support Bayern or Barca or City so you can be sure that you team always meets your very high standards or (b) learn to focus on the good stuff and forget the results like today's. If we with the Europa league I will erase the feeble season end from my mind. Especially if we beat Chelsea in the final.
Secondly, I'm not actually sure that the likes of Napoli are that much better than the likes of Wolves, Watford and Leicester.

Post #497553  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:10 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
warrior wrote:
3 losses in a row now .... :36angers:

4 losses in 5 when there is so much to play for.

Blood some kids and kick people like Mki, Özil, Kolasinac and Mustafi to the kerb.

Judging by recent press conferences, Emery has every intention of doing so next year...

Post #497554  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:13 pm 

Niall wrote:
Bernard wrote:
You've obviously forgotten how bad we were last season. We have improved, even if not as much as you want.

Marginally Bernard. The Valencia game is a huge test, I looked at some of their recent results and they are impressive.

True - though Napoli were cruising through games against most opponents in Italy and last season set a higher points total than Arsenal every have despite being runners up. Just have to hope the team is better in a technical battle than it has been in physical ones.

Post #497555  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:14 pm 

Niall wrote:
lomekian wrote:

He deserves another year. Bellerin & Holding had taken big steps forward prior to their injury. Lacazette has improved. Bar Liverpool away we've been slightly better against better teams. But he needs to beat Valencia in a big way.

Agree the team looks a mess right now, but it was even worse last year. And, frankly, how many in this squad would you even keep?

Leno, Bellerin, AMN, Sokratis, Holding, Torriera, Xhaka, Özil, Iwobi, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Guendouzi - Maybe Kos, and one of the left backs for a transition period - and some of the kids. Some of those should be squad players at best, and others are projects. We need half a new team.

the rest are mid table level warm bodies at best, and even some of the above are in all honesty at that level.

I want so what an Emery signing looks like and how he wants to shape the team before I write him off. We can all love Pep's vision and tactical genius. But he's never had anything other than brilliant squads and a ton of cash. Let's at least see what Emery can do when the team is q little more his

Only ones worth building a new team with are Leno, Niles, Guendouzi, Holding and Aubameyang. Rest are average. Torreira not convinced by either. Major surgery needed. Needs physical players who can play away from home.

Don't you rate Hector or Lacazette?

Post #497556  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:19 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:
I haven't seen Daz, Haz or Kiwi on here lately.

Kiwi is probably back in solitary at the nursing home and unable to access the internet.

I assume everything is OK will all three.

Thanks for the concern you bedwetting old pansy .....

recently had about three months of hell healthwise ; visited four doctors before finally being diagnosed with a veratoxin e coli infection ...no cure just wait it out .
Massive stomach pains , didn't eat for a month , no sleep at all for a couple of four day periods , lost 18 kilos in weight , and wasn't that fat in the first place , heart beating all over the joint , no energy and looked like someone exiting a Jap prison camp .
Finally chucked me in hospital hooked up some jumper leads and got my heart back to normal

..... feel okay now but will be a cold day in hell before I drink rum again .

Hi mate,

Sorry to hear that you've been unwell. Sounds like a nightmare. I hope you are on the mend.

I expect every time those nurses bent over your blood pressure went through the roof so it was impossible to discharge you from hospital.

Some good news, though, in your absence I have taken Bernard under my wing and educated him about what makes a great defender and he is finally ready to admit that Mertesacker was a big useless lump.

Post #497557  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:23 pm 

We’re two goals conceded away from our worst ever defensive show in a PL season. Our away form is still disgraceful. Not seeing any tangible improvement imo. I wasn’t expecting miracles but when you see how quickly some managers can make a difference you do have to wonder about whether Emery is the guy. Give him the summer and then let’s see where we are by Christmas. The owner is a problem, we still have no technical director and haven’t replaced Sven either. We are a *%^@*** mess.

Post #497558  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:30 pm 

Emery will only be here short term I think. He’s a transitional manager for us imo.

Post #497559  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:33 pm 

Could it be that the the summer transfer window will be just as important in determining that Emery was the right man as much as his results and tactics? By that I don’t mean necessarily which players he signs because there are still factors out of his control - it’s more which players he dumps. What will he do with mustafi, Özil, Mkhitaryan, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Iwobi. And also look at the make up of the players bought in in terms of their character.

Right now I just want to see a change in attitude. I’m fed up of being out fought by less talented teams who just work harder than us. It isn’t as simple as bringing in a few players with good attitudes, it is the whole ethos of the club, the club needs to be shaken out of the over tolerant and lack of responsibility status that went through every aspect of the club for the past 6-8 years. Emery can’t do that over night but if he and the others in charge can get rid of everything still reeking of the old regime and being in leaders ready to excel with the new set of player standards slowly but surely we can turn the club around. All that needs to happen before we can even begin to think about having a team capable of title challenges

Post #497560  Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:34 pm 

Darren wrote:
Emery will only be here short term I think. He’s a transitional manager for us imo.

I know his pidgin english does not help and things are lost in translation but I see his interviews and have no idea of the message he is trying to get across. It sounds like a load of gibberish and his team plays like it.

[ 570665 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12436, 12437, 12438, 12439, 12440, 12441, 12442 ... 14267  Next