Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 219 guests

Post #518201  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:02 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
The current good form of Elneny makes you realise that the career of a professional footballer can be a fragile thing. There he was, largely forgotten by the fans, and when remembered, usually on our disposals list. It is always warming to see an underdog have his day. He is clearly a man of character so best of luck to him. Well done to Arteta for perceptive management.

Well said

Post #518202  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:05 am 

Rich wrote:
It remains for me the single biggest disgraceful refereeing performance I've ever seen which hasn't been proven to be corrupt
I don't usually go on about refs because their job is the hardest one in football, and back then it was even harder for them - no VAR to assist. However, as you say, the officiating in that match was so one-sided it leaves the stench of corruption. Anyone will accept the ref being up against it at Old Trafford, what with the crowd, Ferguson and huge media bias in favour of United, but that day was plain wrong. Inevitablty The Invincibles would have to lose, and United were always a team likely to do it, but Riley was their key asset.

Post #518203  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:16 am 

john1 wrote:
Maybe corrupt is not the word, but Riley had been got at somehow by Ferguson. No doubt in my mind about that.

I suspect you’re right john1. To me, ‘corruption’ often implies some kind of backhander. Routinely financial, of course, but there are plenty of things other than money that can given. More than Manchester United paying funds into Riley’s bank account, giving him a new car, a free holiday or whatever, myself I wonder if it might have been linked to Riley being unduly influenced by Ferguson.

I’m not even suggesting that Ferguson directly contacted Riley to tell him to favour Manchester United during the game. I reckon it might have been down to Riley feeling intimidated by Ferguson. Even a bit frightened by him, making him eager to avoid giving decisions that Ferguson wouldn’t approve of. Basically, Riley wanting to keep in Ferguson’s good books.

Post #518204  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:26 pm 

john1 wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
The current good form of Elneny makes you realise that the career of a professional footballer can be a fragile thing. There he was, largely forgotten by the fans, and when remembered, usually on our disposals list. It is always warming to see an underdog have his day. He is clearly a man of character so best of luck to him. Well done to Arteta for perceptive management.

Well said

:58big-emoticons:

Post #518205  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:53 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Be interested to see Artetas starting line up in our next league game.

Only downside for me was Willian who doesn’t seem to be able to affect a game. Pépé looks a far better option for me and more likely to provide an incisive moment.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence the first game where we won the midfield battle and dominated that part of the field was when there was no Xhaka in the side.

I think you're being a little hard on Willian who I thought played well today. Maybe not as explosive as Pépé but an intelligent team player. Unlucky not to put us ahead as well.

I'd love to have seen the legend that is Pépé in his day.

Post #518206  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:14 pm 

Are we still supposed to finish 11th or worse? :1laughter:

Post #518207  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:18 pm 

Elneny is a great example of why Arteta stands above Solskjaer and Lampard (as similar 'new' Prem managers). Arteta has not only improved individual players who were seemingly surplus to requirements he's built a clear system and has taken a group of players who were deemed 'uncoachable' by many in the media (and fans - include myself in that) and made them in to an organised group off the ball. Oh, and he's also won 2 trophies.

Lampard and Ole deserve credit for the sporadic performances they have got but compare the resources each has had and the starting point or squad each inherited and Arteta has simply out coached both

Post #518208  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:30 pm 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1323022003109023750

Absolutely brilliant

Post #518209  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:32 pm 

Attachments:

Post #518210  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:36 pm 

This is going to sound crazy and I'm prepared to be criticised for it, but I'd take Pogba if he was willing to come and accept Arsenal level wages.

I think there is a good player in there. Mourinho broke his spirit. OGS hasn't gotten the best out of him. I think Arteta could get more out of him that Man Utd has.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54774068

Post #518211  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:39 pm 

I didn't think losing to Leicester City was as bad as it seems or this win means we have turned a corner. It's all part of the process. We are going to have bumps on the road to being a consistently good team again.

Post #518212  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:03 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
This is going to sound crazy and I'm prepared to be criticised for it, but I'd take Pogba if he was willing to come and accept Arsenal level wages.

It doesn't sound crazy, it is crazy. Everything Pogba is goes against everything Arteta is and is putting in place.
Talent alone is not enough

Post #518213  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:16 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

I think there is a good player in there. Mourinho broke his spirit. OGS hasn't gotten the best out of him. I think Arteta could get more out of him that Man Utd has.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54774068

Pogba is a lighter version of Özil. Your mad.

Post #518214  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:30 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

It doesn't sound crazy, it is crazy. Everything Pogba is goes against everything Arteta is and is putting in place.
Talent alone is not enough

Totally understand how it sounds. I think otherwise though.

Post #518215  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:32 pm 

david.d wrote:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1323022003109023750

Absolutely brilliant

That's as good to watch as a 30 yard screamer or a brilliant bit of passing.

Post #518216  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:45 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I didn't think losing to Leicester City was as bad as it seems or this win means we have turned a corner. It's all part of the process. We are going to have bumps on the road to being a consistently good team again.

It is early days of course Gabriel/Party/El nene might turn out to be a flash in the pan ... gelatinous rather than Teleostomi yes yes yes.

But it just feels right somehow. I think we may well look back to the Leicester game as a Eureka moment for Areteta's thinking about our midfield, as someone has pointed out.

Post #518217  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:05 pm 

Did anyone see Roy Keane make a complete tit of himself on sky sports again yesterday ? Claiming the players didn’t respect Arteta because they called him by his first name. Utter 1980s jumbo gumbo garbage, I honestly have no idea why they have that guy on he embarrasses himself every week.

No progressive pundits on Sky May as well get saints and greavsie on

Post #518218  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Did anyone see Roy Keane make a complete tit of himself on sky sports again yesterday ? Claiming the players didn’t respect Arteta because they called him by his first name. Utter 1980s jumbo gumbo garbage, I honestly have no idea why they have that guy on he embarrasses himself every week.

Respect for manager? Hilarious coming from him.

“You’re a *%^@*** wanker. I didn’t rate you as a player, I don’t rate you as a manager and I don’t rate you as a person. You’re a *%^@*** wanker and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. I’ve got no respect for you. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your bollocks.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.3480613

Post #518219  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:03 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

“You’re a *%^@*** wanker. I didn’t rate you as a player, I don’t rate you as a manager and I don’t rate you as a person. You’re a *%^@*** wanker and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. I’ve got no respect for you. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your bollocks.”

Absolutely ! Him of all people, it was totally ridiculous, Tim Cahill too embarrassed to speak. Blokes a fruitcake not in a hard way just makes a *%^@ of himself

Post #518220  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:03 pm 

Just saw Torriera's goal for AM. Guendouzi made a good if unspectacular debut. Hope these players continue to do well. A win-win situation for the club.

Post #518221  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:34 pm 

Got to give credit to Leicester and Rodgers, they’ve got a lot of injuries particularly in defence and lose a key player every season but they are still a very good side. 2-0 up away to Leeds already

Post #518222  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
Got to give credit to Leicester and Rodgers, they’ve got a lot of injuries particularly in defence and lose a key player every season but they are still a very good side. 2-0 up away to Leeds already

I’m more pleased about Fulham beating West Brom. Have relatives who support them and they’ve always been my second favourite London club.

EDIT: Leeds have pulled a goal back early in the second half. Hope you didn’t praise Leicester too early.

Post #518223  Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Absolutely ! Him of all people, it was totally ridiculous, Tim Cahill too embarrassed to speak. Blokes a fruitcake not in a hard way just makes a *%^@ of himself

Keane is box office. That is why Sky have him on. He doesn't care about calling Man Utd players rubbish, including English players...which no other pundit does. Whether he is correct or not doesn't matter.

BTW, he is hard. No two ways about that.

Post #518224  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:43 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I’m more pleased about Fulham beating West Brom. Have relatives who support them and they’ve always been my second favourite London club.

EDIT: Leeds have pulled a goal back early in the second half. Hope you didn’t praise Leicester too early.

West Brom could hardly expect to win if they turn up looking like Partick Thistle. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #518225  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:04 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

West Brom could hardly expect to win if they turn up looking like Partick Thistle. :icon_mrgreen:

Good point. Actually, those colours always make me think of Lens, and that navy blue shirt we wore against them at Wembley in 1998.

Post #518226  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:08 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Keane is box office. That is why Sky have him on. He doesn't care about calling Man Utd players rubbish, including English players...which no other pundit does. Whether he is correct or not doesn't matter.

He really isn’t. Total myth. He’s about as intimidating as a packet of extra value Tesco economy burgers

Every time he goes off on one the other pundits give each other a look that screams “nans had one to many sherry’s again” and then follow 2 distinct choices, either be quiet and let grandma have his rant or in Ian Wright and Micha Richards case burst out laughing because it’s so ridiculous

Post #518227  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:36 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

He really isn’t. Total myth. He’s about as intimidating as a packet of extra value Tesco economy burgers

Every time he goes off on one the other pundits give each other a look that screams “nans had one to many sherry’s again” and then follow 2 distinct choices, either be quiet and let grandma have his rant or in Ian Wright and Micha Richards case burst out laughing because it’s so ridiculous

Keane is certainly intimidating even if people don't consider him 'hard'. Too many presenters and pundits are intimidated by his views. Two of the few who laugh him off are the two you mentioned Wright and Richards. I think Keane secretly likes Ian Wright but won't ever admit it but Wrighty is one of the very few people Ive ever seen get a hint of a smirk out of Keane.

Plenty of pundits have been employed over the years because they speak their mind and have strong polarising opinions. It is a pre-requisite for being on talksport. It doesn't mean he's a great pundit because the act wears thin - which is actually why I thought it was interesting that Keane chose to praise Partey at the weekend describing him as an all round central midfielder. Keane has a complete distaste for central midfielders being labelled as only defensive mids or only attacking mids because in his day you played 4-4-2 and central midfielders had to do everything - which is why if you asked Keane to name the best central midfielders in the prem he'd instantly pick players from his era, Vieira, Scholes, Petit

Post #518228  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:44 am 

Arteta on Elneny
“Obviously I played with him so I know his qualities and who he is as a person, and what he brings to the squad. I like players that have zero ego, who play for the team, who want to contribute regardless of what it is, whether that’s one minute or 96 minutes or just by being there and giving positive feedback all the time.”

Post #518229  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:19 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Good point. Actually, those colours always make me think of Lens, and that navy blue shirt we wore against them at Wembley in 1998.

I’d probably dismissed Lens from my memory. I can remember the excitement of going to all those Wembley European nights but it never worked out did it. We had a hell of a team and yet we managed to keep stuffing it up. Lens was a huge disappointment.

Post #518230  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:53 am 

long time gooner wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

I’d probably dismissed Lens from my memory. I can remember the excitement of going to all those Wembley European nights but it never worked out did it. We had a hell of a team and yet we managed to keep stuffing it up. Lens was a huge disappointment.

Yep, it was a disaster - one of many in Europe. I saw the team photo for the 2000 UEFA Cup final recently. How did this XI not beat Galatasaray: Seaman; Dixon, Adams, Keown, Sylvinho; Parlour, Petit, Vieira, Overmars; Henry, Bergkamp.

Post #518231  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:01 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
I saw the team photo for the 2000 UEFA Cup final recently. How did this XI not beat Galatasaray: Seaman; Dixon, Adams, Keown, Sylvinho; Parlour, Petit, Vieira, Overmars; Henry, Bergkamp.
Barca bound Petit and Overmars not giving a toss on the night and Keown missing an open goal didn't help!

Post #518232  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:14 am 

Sharing some special personal news - Annie born on the weekend both her teams won, to my son and daughter-in-law living in Canada. Our first grandchild.

Attachments:

Post #518233  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:28 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Sharing some special personal news - Annie born on the weekend both her teams won, to my son and daughter-in-law living in Canada. Our first grandchild.

What a little stunner, congratulations Old Man, being a Grandparent is a very special feeling.... enjoy.

Post #518234  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:41 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

That's a coincidence Old Man. On Sunday I was with my first grandchild - also named Annie. She's in her first term at Cambridge University and we had to bring forward our lunch appointment by a week because of lockdown. It meant I missed the Man U game but priorities change. Like you, I won't get to see Annie for a while now.

Sounds like you were a late starter, Hoy. I was married with children by the age of 11.

Post #518235  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:47 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
I saw the team photo for the 2000 UEFA Cup final recently. How did this XI not beat Galatasaray: Seaman; Dixon, Adams, Keown, Sylvinho; Parlour, Petit, Vieira, Overmars; Henry, Bergkamp.
Barca bound Petit and Overmars not giving a toss on the night and Keown missing an open goal didn't help!

Compared to the fish in that 5-1 defeat at White Hart Lane in the League Cup semi, Petit and Overmars worked their socks off that day.

Congratulations on the grandchild.

Post #518236  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:57 am 

Rich wrote:
Arteta on Elneny
“Obviously I played with him so I know his qualities and who he is as a person, and what he brings to the squad. I like players that have zero ego, who play for the team, who want to contribute regardless of what it is, whether that’s one minute or 96 minutes or just by being there and giving positive feedback all the time.”

:53big-emoticons:

Post #518237  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:33 am 

Well not a great deal happening in the football at the moment.

Hey AG, anything interesting happening over your way in the US ?

Post #518238  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:35 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Yep, it was a disaster - one of many in Europe. I saw the team photo for the 2000 UEFA Cup final recently. How did this XI not beat Galatasaray: Seaman; Dixon, Adams, Keown, Sylvinho; Parlour, Petit, Vieira, Overmars; Henry, Bergkamp.

Did you listen to the last Tuesday club with Wenger on it ?

He told Alan Davies the referee forced both teams to take the penalties at the Galatasaray end despite it being a war zone for safety reasons. (Ie they thought there would be a riot from their fans)

They subsequently changed the rules after so this couldn’t be done anymore. More than a significant advantage

Post #518239  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Did you listen to the last Tuesday club with Wenger on it ? He told Alan Davies the referee forced both teams to take the penalties at the Galatasaray end despite it being a war zone for safety reasons. (Ie they thought there would be a riot from their fans) They subsequently changed the rules after so this couldn’t be done anymore. More than a significant advantage
No missed that, but I was at the match. The Gala fans were incredibly loud - made Liverpool and Dortmund seem mute in comparison. We did our best but it was no contest really. My memory is of the authorities making life difficult for Arsenal fans - over-marshalled, made to walk around and also wait in the rain before being allowed to enter the ground. They also made us take the sticks out of our small flags. Once inside the Gala fans were already set and had not had their flag sticks confiscated. So added to their monster flag were scores of others, flourishing very impressively. We were waving ours like handkerchiefs!

As for the match I stand by my view that certain Arsenal players, most noticeably Petit and to a lessed extent Overmars, were pretty disinterested. It wasn't a good game but when Hagi was sent off we should have made the most of it. And with the names on our team sheet you would have expected it never to go to penalties. Just a few years on and down to ten men in the ECL final we showed far more resolve.

Post #518240  Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:16 pm 

DHD wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

That's a coincidence Old Man. On Sunday I was with my first grandchild - also named Annie. She's in her first term at Cambridge University and we had to bring forward our lunch appointment by a week because of lockdown. It meant I missed the Man U game but priorities change. Like you, I won't get to see Annie for a while now.

Sounds like you were a late starter, Hoy. I was married with children by the age of 11.
Is your real name Jerry Lee Lewis?

[ 571657 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12953, 12954, 12955, 12956, 12957, 12958, 12959 ... 14292  Next