Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], Decaf, Googlebot, warrior and 163 guests

Post #501001  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:23 pm 

Rich wrote:
The market for prem clubs is crazy. Teams are paying £15-20m for players who got relegated or have never even played at a higher level than the championship.

It is madness, Rich. Inflation is killing the game.

It will probably only get worse with increasing tv money. More and more money chasing what seems to be a smaller and smaller pool of genuine talent.

Raul and Edu are probably looking at the outrageous prices now and thinking they might be 50% higher next summer. That's how crazy the market is.

Upamecano valued at £70m and he's still a kid. Rugani valued at £50m and he doesn't even get in Juve's team.

We overpaid for Pépé but it was realistically the only way we could get him. It's what big clubs have to do to get in-demand players they really want.

We should be getting £10m for Jenks but I bet we don't.

Post #501002  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:36 pm 

Rich wrote:
The market for prem clubs is crazy. Teams are paying £15-20m for players who got relegated or have never even played at a higher level than the championship.

10 years ago £80m got you Cristiano Ronaldo. Today it gets you Harry Maguire.

Post #501003  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:40 pm 

Nottingham Forest interested in taking Jenkinson. This needs to happen

Post #501004  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:56 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

It is madness, Rich. Inflation is killing the game.

It will probably only get worse with increasing tv money. More and more money chasing what seems to be a smaller and smaller pool of genuine talent.

Raul and Edu are probably looking at the outrageous prices now and thinking they might be 50% higher next summer. That's how crazy the market is.

Upamecano valued at £70m and he's still a kid. Rugani valued at £50m and he doesn't even get in Juve's team.

We overpaid for Pépé but it was realistically the only way we could get him. It's what big clubs have to do to get in-demand players they really want.

We should be getting £10m for Jenks but I bet we don't.

But last season we paid "reasonable" transfer prices for Leno, Torreira and Sokratis... I think next season the club should try for such "bargains" again.

Post #501005  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:57 pm 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We did but if Aubameyangs pen against spurs goes in then we are back in the champions league. The line between success and failure is thin. If we had got back in the CL it would have been a terrific achievement from Emery considering the hand he was dealt.

True TG but you could balance that by considering if we'd lost at Watford, as our performance that day deserved.

Fact is we played like drains in April and May. For no obvious reason, our form just fell off a cliff.

Yep. You can pick a defeat and say if only. The fact is that after we drew with Tottenham we were still in a position where we were in great shape for Top 4. It was the relegation standard football at the end if the season that cost us. The culmination of that was the second half of the Europa League final.

Post #501006  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:10 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Stupid gits on Twitter. Almost everyone that's on there, vomits an opinion and thinks that anyone gives a toss about what they have to say.

Good thing that doesn't happen on here.

:12hello-bye:

Post #501007  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:42 am 

Rich wrote:
Apparently we’ve been quoted £70m for Upamecano and £50m for Rugani. Those two would sort out our defence. Add in Tierney for £25m. Obviously dropping £145m on those 3 defenders is never going to happen but it makes you realise what a leg up City and Chelsea had, both have spent those sums of money regularly on players and can drop that in one summer to sort out a defence....as City did.
So for years and years we work within our means and just a financially doped £150m, maybe 1/10th of what City have spent could/would have us right back in business with the best in the league.

It's a amazing just how much the press ignores the amount of money City (and Chelsea to some extent) have at their disposable. Money they were given. Man Utd is onerous but they were self financed. They developed a brand and earned their money traditionally.

Everyone just seems to ignore the Middle East money that built City. They will never recoup it nor care and now City sells a lot of merchandising, etc, but it stems from them being artificially enhanced financially. Not by their own brand and play on the pitch. Chelsea's budget now is as a result of Roman. Its frustrating and sickening.

Post #501008  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:45 am 

Anyway, I hope we pull off these big money (at least big for us) transfers. I don't mind if we have go into debt or whatever to do it.

Post #501009  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:23 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
His sole redeeming quality is that shot of his. And unless he's going to employ it a bit more, what else is there?

He has a great passing range, is generally positionally sound, has great attitude and adds some much needed physicality to our side. He’s slow and has an annoying tendency for brain farts, but it’s ridiculous how some only want to see his flaws. Not really sure why all player analysis these days seem to suggest a player is either a star or absolute *%^@, but managers such as Emery, Favre, Hittzfeld and Wenger rates him highly so he clearly has something.

Post #501010  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:25 am 

warrior wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
Stupid gits on Twitter. Almost everyone that's on there, vomits an opinion and thinks that anyone gives a toss about what they have to say.

Good thing that doesn't happen on here.

:12hello-bye:

:laughing7:

Post #501011  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:31 am 

dec wrote:
DHD wrote:

True TG but you could balance that by considering if we'd lost at Watford, as our performance that day deserved.

Fact is we played like drains in April and May. For no obvious reason, our form just fell off a cliff.

Yep. You can pick a defeat and say if only. The fact is that after we drew with Tottenham we were still in a position where we were in great shape for Top 4. It was the relegation standard football at the end if the season that cost us. The culmination of that was the second half of the Europa League final.

Hi Dec,

It was just a pathetic effort all round. The easiest run-in and we made it look like we were playing prime Barca every week. Shockingly inept and one of the reasons why I think the jury is still out on Emery.

If we finish the window with another decent defensive signing then the ball is in Emery's court so to speak. No excuses.

Post #501012  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:34 am 

socrates wrote:
It was just a pathetic effort all round. The easiest run-in and we made it look like we were playing prime Barca every week. Shockingly inept and one of the reasons why I think the jury is still out on Emery.

If we finish the window with another decent defensive signing then the ball is in Emery's court so to speak. No excuses.

Agree with this. I rate Emery and I’m excited to see what he can do with the squad we’re assembling, but there are no excuses for our collapse last season. Certainly can’t blame it on Wenger. The transfer team seems to be doing their job this summer, up to Emery and the players to do their bit.

Post #501013  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:43 am 

Hazuki wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
His sole redeeming quality is that shot of his. And unless he's going to employ it a bit more, what else is there?

He has a great passing range, is generally positionally sound, has great attitude and adds some much needed physicality to our side. He’s slow and has an annoying tendency for brain farts, but it’s ridiculous how some only want to see his flaws. Not really sure why all player analysis these days seem to suggest a player is either a star or absolute *%^@, but managers such as Emery, Favre, Hittzfeld and Wenger rates him highly so he clearly has something.

Absolutely correct Hazuki. Xhaka is a long way from perfect and I wouldn’t lose any sleep if he left. But bloody hell, the way some people talk you’d think he was another David Hillier.

Post #501014  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:47 am 

Bernard wrote:
Absolutely correct Hazuki. Xhaka is a long way from perfect and I wouldn’t lose any sleep if he left. But bloody hell, the way some people talk you’d think he was another David Hillier.

And for the record, before I get jumped by his detractors, I’m not even sure I’d have Xhaka as a starting player for us with everyone fit. Plenty of exciting midfielders at the club, and depending on what formation we play, how Ceballos adapts to England, and the development of players like Guendozi and Willock, there may not be room for Xhaka in the starting eleven.

Post #501015  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:52 am 

socrates wrote:

Morning Socrates. If we pay the sort of money it’s being reported that Leipzig want for Upamecano, I wonder how long it”ll take for us to be accused of being financially doped? Whether the accusation is fair or not, I can see it happening.

Post #501016  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:58 am 

Koscielny has supposedly agreed terms with Bordeaux and they have agreed a fee of £5m with Arsenal. Could go through today

Post #501017  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:08 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

And for the record, before I get jumped by his detractors, I’m not even sure I’d have Xhaka as a starting player for us with everyone fit. Plenty of exciting midfielders at the club, and depending on what formation we play, how Ceballos adapts to England, and the development of players like Guendozi and Willock, there may not be room for Xhaka in the starting eleven.

Completely agree with that, Haz.

Post #501018  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:09 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

Morning Socrates. If we pay the sort of money it’s being reported that Leipzig want for Upamecano, I wonder how long it”ll take for us to be accused of being financially doped? Whether the accusation is fair or not, I can see it happening.

I can't see that deal going through, Bern, not at this late stage in the window. They wouldn't have much time to replace him for a start.

Post #501019  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:11 am 

socrates wrote:
I can't see that deal going through, Bern, not at this late stage in the window. They wouldn't have much time to replace him for a start.

I think the Bundesliga window closes on Sept 2nd, so that would give them a couple of weeks. But it's weird that we've left it so late, if this type of big transfer was what we wanted to do.

Post #501020  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:21 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

I think the Bundesliga window closes on Sept 2nd, so that would give them a couple of weeks. But it's weird that we've left it so late, if this type of big transfer was what we wanted to do.

You're right, I forgot their window is open longer.

Post #501021  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:26 am 

Rich wrote:
Koscielny has supposedly agreed terms with Bordeaux and they have agreed a fee of £5m with Arsenal. Could go through today

Confirmed by Ornstein. He also mentioned we're still after a central defender and Tierney, and we're in advanced talks with Nottingham Forest regarding Jenkinson.

Post #501022  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:36 am 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Completely agree with that, Haz.

Agreed that I would like, and would hope that our midfield is moving towards a more athletic, mobile structure with players who can 'beat the press', this set up is much more suited to the Prem.
I still do think there is a place for Xhaka in the side, but not as an automatic starter. For games where teams lack pace and will just sit deep against us (Burnley at the Emirates for example) there is a key role for the holding midfielder to recycle possession and spread or switch play to stretch these teams as much as possible. I think the one thing we're missing in our central midfield is a powerhouse dribbler, someone to break the lines but is also strong and good in the air. I think Ndombele at Spurs is a great signing for them in this respect.
Adding Ceballos and Willock to the first team gives so many more options to our central midfield. You would also hope that both Torreira and Guendouzi have room to improve on their first season now they are settled.

Post #501023  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:50 am 

Bennacer made his £14m move to AC Milan, meaning Arsenal pick up £4.5m from a sell-on clause we had for him.
Add the Koscielny fee and a nominal fee for Jenkinson and it all helps boost the spending power.
I think we will have made £25m from selling fringe players

Post #501024  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:23 am 

Rich wrote:
Bennacer made his £14m move to AC Milan, meaning Arsenal pick up £4.5m from a sell-on clause we had for him.
Add the Koscielny fee and a nominal fee for Jenkinson and it all helps boost the spending power.

Just goes to show how important the selling side is, Rich, it all adds up.

Imagine if we'd got decent fees for Rambo and Welbeck. That would have been £50m more in the pot.

Post #501025  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:25 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Wenger paid £35m for Xhaka. Now that figure may be chicken feed now but 3 years ago it was a hell of a lot of money. He has done nothing to justify that outlay.

Hillier didn't cost £35m did he.

Post #501026  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:28 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

Confirmed by Ornstein. He also mentioned we're still after a central defender and Tierney, and we're in advanced talks with Nottingham Forest regarding Jenkinson.

Anyone know anything about this chap from Leipzig? He is only 20 so how could can he be?

Post #501027  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:35 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Anyone know anything about this chap from Leipzig? He is only 20 so how could can he be?

Not seen him play, but he’s one of those names that makes people on the internet go nuts. Started for a good Bundesliga club at 18, and for France in the U21 Euros this summer, so he's clearly a highly rated young player. Wouldn't expect him to improve us much this coming season, but promising for the future.

Post #501028  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:53 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Just goes to show how important the selling side is, Rich, it all adds up.

Imagine if we'd got decent fees for Rambo and Welbeck. That would have been £50m more in the pot.

Yep, imagine having that £50m, plus £60m from Sanchez and no Mkhitaryan.
Plus all the other pitiful fees we got for players. I think we have easily thrown away £200m in transfer fees over the last 5-6 years

Post #501029  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:02 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Not seen him play, but he’s one of those names that makes people on the internet go nuts. Started for a good Bundesliga club at 18, and for France in the U21 Euros this summer, so he's clearly a highly rated young player. Wouldn't expect him to improve us much this coming season, but promising for the future.

Just watched a 9 minute compilation of about 100 tackles from him nd he went to ground... once :love4:

Looks strong and pacy and decent on the ball. Seems like we've left it a tad late tho.

Post #501030  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:21 am 

Ornstein saying that Nketiah will be loaned out, possibly to Bristol City.
Also saying we’re still trying to offload Mustafi. Given that Koscielny is leaving, then we surely must be picking up a central defender.

Post #501031  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:23 am 

Ash wrote:
Just watched a 9 minute compilation of about 100 tackles from him nd he went to ground... once :love4:

Looks strong and pacy and decent on the ball. Seems like we've left it a tad late tho.

The £70m valuation is crazy, but when Lewis Dunk is valued at £50m and James Tarkowski at £45m then it suddenly starts to look like good value in a twisted way. At least there’s a chance he turns into world class.

Post #501032  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:46 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Ash wrote:

The £70m valuation is crazy, but when Lewis Dunk is valued at £50m and James Tarkowski at £45m then it suddenly starts to look like good value in a twisted way. At least there’s a chance he turns into world class.

Have RB stated that valuation? A lot of the end cost seems to hinge on the length of contract left. Hazard aside.

The thing that struck me was that he moved from ‘sister’ side RB Salzburg. Having effectively a B team is a huge advantage in developing young players.

Post #501033  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:43 am 

And having said that, he only has two years left.

Post #501034  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:52 pm 

Rich wrote:

Which is precisely why I think we could have gotten more for Bielik from another club. His stock surely had gone up after his performances over the summer.

Post #501035  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:15 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Which is precisely why I think we could have gotten more for Bielik from another club. His stock surely had gone up after his performances over the summer.

I’m sure if richer clubs than Derby were interested and willing to pay us more than £10m we would have accepted.
Bielik is talented but is only proven at league 1 level. The fees I’m mentioning above are for players at 1 or 2 divisions above Bielik

Post #501036  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:28 pm 

L’Equipe now saying Coutinho is joining Arsenal on loan. Any other transfer window and I would’ve dismissed it immediately.

Post #501037  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:32 pm 

Attachment:

All gone

Post #501038  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:34 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
L’Equipe now saying Coutinho is joining Arsenal on loan. Any other transfer window and I would’ve dismissed it immediately.

Just heard the same separately from 2 mates on different continents.

Seriously don't get that - but what do I know?

Post #501039  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:39 pm 

DHD wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Seriously don't get that - but what do I know?

Me neither. He's quality, but don't get what place they see for him in the squad. And it's so different from most of the moves we're making this summer, when we're clearly targeting young quality players.

But I guess it's pointless to complain too much about a top class player joining Arsenal. If the rumour is legit.

Post #501040  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:40 pm 

DHD wrote:
Attachment:
Class of 2012-2013.JPG

All gone

2012, DHD? Wow. Farewell the Unconvincibles.

Some decent memories nonetheless.

[ 571920 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12523, 12524, 12525, 12526, 12527, 12528, 12529 ... 14298  Next