Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 100 guests

Post #484321  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:01 pm 

dec wrote:
That figure for Özil couldn't be accurate. He signed a three and a half year deal. £177m would equate to close to £1m per week. Most of the press reported that Özil's deal puts him as the second highest player in the PL, but quite a bit behind Sanchez, whose deal is absolutely enormous.

It does sound excessive, although don't forget what might have been a massive signing on fee that would have been part of the £177m. But it's what the AST's financial expert said.

Post #484322  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:15 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
No.

(Doesn’t require an explanation)

I'd say it does require an explanation. I see Mertesacker as Arsenal through and through, even if he wasn't at Adams and Keown's level as a player. Retiring from playing doesn't change that.

I see him as an Arsenal man. He followed the team as a kid. Didn't he have an aunt living in London and used to come here in the summer and was an Arsenal fan as a result? Also, that FA Cup final against Chelsea was something special and will live long in the memory.

He comes across as an intelligent guy and because he was far from a natural athlete, he had to use his brains to defend. Hopefully he will have the ability to pass that onto younger players.

Post #484323  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
No.

I'd say it does require an explanation. I see Mertesacker as Arsenal through and through, even if he wasn't at Adams and Keown's level as a player. Retiring from playing doesn't change that.

"When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence." Wenger

... then to answer your question why not in involve him and choose per instead who will probably teach the kids how to duck out of crosses at anfield

Post #484324  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:29 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
"When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence." Wenger

... then to answer your question why not in involve him and choose per instead who will probably teach the kids how to duck out of crosses at anfield

Being outstanding at something doesn't necessarily mean you can teach it. As well as being an Arsenal man Mertesacker strikes me as potentially a better coach than Adams. I think your last sentence is unfounded nonsense.

Post #484325  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Being outstanding at something doesn't necessarily mean you can teach it. As well as being an Arsenal man Mertesacker strikes me as potentially a better coach than Adams. I think your last sentence is unfounded nonsense.

Really ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... field.html

:15laughter:

Post #484326  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Really ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... field.html

Yes, really. That picture doesn't mean he'll teach youngsters to duck out the way of the ball, which was your idiotic claim. I'm sure Per could give a valid explanation why he was crouching at that point anyway that wouldn't include ducking.

Post #484327  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
lomekian wrote:
Sánchez signed a 4½ year contract with United to June 2022 that is worth around £600,000 a week once a £20 million signing on fee, bonuses and image rights are factored in. It makes him comfortably the highest paid player in Premier League history. Total contract value £140m.

I'm sure the AST said last week that Özil's new deal is worth 200m Euros. That's just over £177m.

That simply isn't and cannot be correct. The very highest estimate of his contractual worth (including signing on fees etc) is £350k p/w. For 3 1/2 years. which totals at £63m.

Your figure for the length of Özil's contract would make him on £972k p/w and by far the highest paid player in the world. I'd suggest that either you've remembered it wrong or someone said something that is inaccurate to a spectacular degree.

Fact is, We have less than 1/2 invested in Özil as Man U have in Sanchez.

Post #484328  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:49 pm 

Decaf wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Injuries and lack of funds were a factor, but no....Cesc wasn't as good as Xavi, who is the best passer of through balls I have seen in my life, bar perhaps Dennis. Also, lets face it, Barca were great, but most of their domination is down to Messi. Playing that kind of football is a lot easier with a generational genius. The guy isn't a striker, but by the age of 30 he has 600 career goals and about half as many assists. To think, his family were in discussion with Wenger when we got Cesc....

I agree. Xavi was superb. My point (and obviously Wengers thinking) was that Cesc was at that level. Also, if Xavi hadn't been around and Cesc had played with Iniesta and Messi in his formative years instead of being allowed to become the prima donna at Arsenal, he might have approached Xavi's level of effectiveness.

(The only reason I mentioned Xavi is that it would be ridiculous to compare Cesc to Iniesta let alone Messi ... )

I still think its unlikely. Xavi was for a few years the best playmaking number 8 in the world. Not trying to diminish Cesc, who is a fabulous passer, but Xavi consistently played passes that very few other players can. It must have been an absolute dream to play in front of him.

Post #484329  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yes, really. That picture doesn't mean he'll teach youngsters to duck out the way of the ball, which was your idiotic claim. I'm sure Per could give a valid explanation why he was crouching at that point anyway that wouldn't include ducking.

He often ducked. Did it againest villa and all sorts.

How is he supposed to teach kids how to defend if he can't conquer his personal fear of the flying ball?

Post #484330  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
How can you have Per Mertesacker taking a role at the academy but choose to not utilise the experience of Tony Adams or Martin Keown who are arsenal through and through. It just makes zero sense

Presumably Adams because he has very public aspirations to manage the club, and having him, a club legend, in a prominent position would make Wenger more vulnerable. Keown of course was jettisoned after being given the credit for our great defensive run in 06. Wenger likes to reward those loyal to him, but is never prepared to share the glory except with his players.

Mertesacker, however has made it very clear he has no interest in being a club manager, and academy development is far enough from the first team to be safe. Also in fairness, Mertesacker seems to have a more holistic view of developing young people which would not only appeal to Wenger, but also helps the club meet some of its targets about responsibility to those who don't make it. To be fair, Mertesacker's thoughts on developing young people, when you collate them are quite impressive. Maybe it helps that he represents someone who was never fancied to make it and was quite academic, who went from debating whether or not to go to university to playing for Germany in 18 months, ahead of much more fancied contemporaries.

I reckon a new manager would be more likely to bring in the old guard to the club to the coaching staff, because also there wouldn't be the difficulty of being challenged by people who you used to manage (and Wenger is famously anti-conflict).

Post #484331  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:58 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
would any of you lot go to the World Cup in Russia this summer? :laughing7:

I wouldn't

Surely it's a recipe for absolute disaster that's about to happen

To be fair as a fairly politically vocal actor with brown skin, long hair and friends who are ex-russian, there are a LOT of reasons why I wouldn't go!

Post #484332  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:00 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
No.

It does.

If Martin Keown is Arsenal through and through (despite his travels) why not Per?

Both were massive Arsenal fans as kids! Though Keown came through alongside Adams rather than choosing Tone's shirt as a kid like the BFG.

Post #484333  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:
A friend of mine was at the England v Russia game in the Euros. He is Irish but was over in France for 10 days so went to that match and one of Ireland's games. He said the aftermath out on the streets was very scary. Black vans with blacked out windows would pull up. Six or seven Russians jumped out and starting kicking the shite out of the nearest supporters for a few minutes. Back into the van and onto the next street. It was completely orchestrated.

the government and football association must be really concerned.

I can just see thousands of drunken England fans rocking up singing songs about the spy and no surrender(all the usual guff) and what could occur could be very serious.

Any English fans who start that whole 'no-surrender' idiocy in Russia would have to be monumentally stupid - I mean going to Russia and goading the Russians with the old school hooligan nonsense is akin to applying for a Darwin award.

Post #484334  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:02 pm 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
would any of you lot go to the World Cup in Russia this summer? :laughing7:

I wouldn't

Surely it's a recipe for absolute disaster that's about to happen

To be fair as a fairly politically vocal actor with brown skin, long hair and friends who are ex-russian, there are a LOT of reasons why I wouldn't go!

:laughing7:

Post #484335  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:
That figure for Özil couldn't be accurate. He signed a three and a half year deal. £177m would equate to close to £1m per week. Most of the press reported that Özil's deal puts him as the second highest player in the PL, but quite a bit behind Sanchez, whose deal is absolutely enormous.

It does sound excessive, although don't forget what might have been a massive signing on fee that would have been part of the £177m. But it's what the AST's financial expert said.

If he did say that, he's no expert! No one would be insane enough to pay Özil nearly twice what Messi gets.

Post #484336  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Because when Adams was finally offered a job leading the u18s, he turned it down for a better one for some Chinese owners of smaller clubs.

Post #484337  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 pm 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

the government and football association must be really concerned.

I can just see thousands of drunken England fans rocking up singing songs about the spy and no surrender(all the usual guff) and what could occur could be very serious.

Any English fans who start that whole 'no-surrender' idiocy in Russia would have to be monumentally stupid - I mean going to Russia and goading the Russians with the old school hooligan nonsense is akin to applying for a Darwin award.

Mate seriously I followed England before and away in Berlin they did the old German bombers songs, no surrender etc etc many still do it today except sing no surrender to the taleban rather than IRA. Total morons England fans still think it's the 80s

It's bound to kick off on so many levels.

Post #484338  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:17 pm 

Update, we are about to expel 23 Russian diplomats and the royal family won't be attending the World Cup. (They probably are worried about getting their heads kicked in too)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43402506

Post #484339  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:19 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I'm sure the AST said last week that Özil's new deal is worth 200m Euros. That's just over £177m.

That simply isn't and cannot be correct. The very highest estimate of his contractual worth (including signing on fees etc) is £350k p/w. For 3 1/2 years. which totals at £63m.

Your figure for the length of Özil's contract would make him on £972k p/w and by far the highest paid player in the world. I'd suggest that either you've remembered it wrong or someone said something that is inaccurate to a spectacular degree.

All I can say is that he said 200m euros. I'm pretty sure of that. I'm not saying the AST figure is right and he didn't say what made it up. But to repeat myself, I'm pretty sure it's what he said.

Post #484340  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
He often ducked. Did it againest villa and all sorts.

How is he supposed to teach kids how to defend if he can't conquer his personal fear of the flying ball?

Well I don't remember him often ducking. Are you trying to subtlely change your slant from him not being an Arsenal man to him not being qualified to coach because you think he ducked against Liverpool and Aston Villa?

I'll make two points. I consider Per a big Arsenal man. And his personality gives me the impression he'll be a good influence on young players.

Post #484341  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
the royal family won't be attending the World Cup.

All in all, a dreadful day for football.

Post #484342  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:
lomekian wrote:

All I can say is that he said 200m euros. I'm pretty sure of that. I'm not saying the AST figure is right and he didn't say what made it up. But to repeat myself, I'm pretty sure it's what he said.

If so the AST goes down in my estimation because that figure is cloud cuckoo land. And dangerous to put out there for obvious reasons.

Post #484343  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:44 pm 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Post #484344  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:49 pm 

Besiktas lose 1-8 on aggregate to Bayern.
Better than we managed. :20hospitals:

Post #484345  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:09 pm 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

:laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #484346  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:11 pm 

warrior wrote:
Professor Stephen Hawking has died, aged 76

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/pro ... 4z4c4.html

what is it first up in the Warrior household .... coffee , toast and a nice little half hour reading the obituary column ...?

Post #484347  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:26 pm 

Sanchez has given the ball away 247 times in his 10 games for Man U....over 100 times more than the next Man U player.

He gave he ball away 43 times having only had 68 touches of the ball against Seville

Fair to say it hasn’t gone well for him so far....

Post #484348  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:43 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Bloody hell I mean that's pretty damning. There's probably 10 to 15 major catastrophic disaster that should have called for Wenger getting the boot and the 10-1 was one of them.

Post #484349  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Bloody hell I mean that's pretty damning. There's probably 10 to 15 major catastrophic disaster that should have called for Wenger getting the boot and the 10-1 was one of them.

Please!10-2

Post #484350  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:27 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I see him as an Arsenal man. He followed the team as a kid. Didn't he have an aunt living in London and used to come here in the summer and was an Arsenal fan as a result? Also, that FA Cup final against Chelsea was something special and will live long in the memory.

He comes across as an intelligent guy and because he was far from a natural athlete, he had to use his brains to defend. Hopefully he will have the ability to pass that onto younger players.

Whether he is rated as an Arsenal man the point IMO. He wasn't a great defender, never marshalled a proper defence, was silent as a captain, never stood up to Wenger and had some real flaws. Yes I loved the FA cup against Chelsea and what he achieved. But there were too many nights against teams like Man U, Man City, Bayern and Barca to not inject some reality into the discussion.

Personally would not have him as a defensive coach let alone even talk of him as a future manager. He would have to win a few trophies at other clubs before the word manager and him could be mentioned in the same sentence.

Post #484351  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:58 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Please!10-2

Sorry pete forgot that second goal had them rocking for a moment :laughing7:

Post #484352  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:37 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Whether he is rated as an Arsenal man the point IMO. He wasn't a great defender, never marshalled a proper defence, was silent as a captain, never stood up to Wenger and had some real flaws. Yes I loved the FA cup against Chelsea and what he achieved. But there were too many nights against teams like Man U, Man City, Bayern and Barca to not inject some reality into the discussion.

Personally would not have him as a defensive coach let alone even talk of him as a future manager. He would have to win a few trophies at other clubs before the word manager and him could be mentioned in the same sentence.

I can understand the bit about wanting him to have a bit of success at other clubs before getting the manager's job. But I thought lomekian said he doesn't want it anyway.

But I think you underestimate him as a player and as a man. However, whatever he's like as a player is largely irrelevant if he does ever become a manager. Ferguson is arguably the best manager in the history of the game and had an ordinary career as a player. Mourinho has had huge success as a manager yet was little more than a pub team player. The best players do not always become good managers.

Post #484353  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:32 am 

warrior wrote:
Professor Stephen Hawking has died, aged 76

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/pro ... 4z4c4.html

RIP Professor Stephen Hawking, brilliant man.

Post #484354  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:36 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
How can you have Per Mertesacker taking a role at the academy but choose to not utilise the experience of Tony Adams or Martin Keown who are arsenal through and through. It just makes zero sense

That is just Wenger. He wants Arsenal to be his club, his legacy. He is too self centred to allow other past luminaries to lay stake to any claim.
That said, I like Per, and hope he does marvelously well.

Post #484355  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:47 am 

Rich wrote:
Sanchez has given the ball away 247 times in his 10 games for Man U....over 100 times more than the next Man U player.

He gave he ball away 43 times having only had 68 touches of the ball against Seville

Fair to say it hasn’t gone well for him so far....

The only thing going well for him, is his wages. Smart man, smart move. Stupid Mourinho. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #484356  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:29 am 

kiwipete wrote:
What is it first up in the Warrior household .... coffee , toast and a nice little half hour reading the obituary column ...?

Yeah I'm a big news hound. I've seen people post things here first before I've heard about them elsewhere.
They get in quick - just doing my part.

Post #484357  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:48 am 

warrior wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
What is it first up in the Warrior household .... coffee , toast and a nice little half hour reading the obituary column ...?

Yeah I'm a big news hound. I've seen people post things here first before I've heard about them elsewhere.
They get in quick - just doing my part.

You've got the power , shut the site down just before you go to bed then crank it up again only after you've perused the morning headlines ... that way you'll always be first :icon_mrgreen:

Post #484358  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:29 am 

gooner7 wrote:
That is just Wenger. He wants Arsenal to be his club, his legacy. He is too self centred to allow other past luminaries to lay stake to any claim.
That said, I like Per, and hope he does marvelously well.

Kev W reckoned in his piece the other day that per’s appointment was not made by Wenger anyway, which whilst not cast iron I know from the feelers he has is a strong possibility , and fits in with the new broom of Sven and the Barca guy

Post #484359  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:39 am 

Mark Hughes new manager at Southampton. Ridiculous how often average prem teams just go back to failed British managers.

Post #484360  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:41 am 

Wenger says he has a fully fit squad apart from Lacazette, who is back training.
Good news on Monreal and Mustafi who were injury doubts

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12106, 12107, 12108, 12109, 12110, 12111, 12112 ... 14269  Next