Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 165 guests

Post #480961  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 am 

Wenger said he doesn't think Malcom will happen in January, which is hardly the same as saying we won't sign him at all.

Post #480962  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:42 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Maybe when you eventually wake up Hoy you'll see what's staring me, and almost everybody else including tomc, in the face.
That he is an unlikeable man? That is rot. ZZZZ

:laughing7: I actually admire your stand Old Man .... like a lone decrepit Maunsell Fort standing bravely against the relentless anti Wenger waves

but let's face it in basic terms; be he .....postman , mechanic , airline pilot ......
turnip farmer [ Johnny Boy ] bu*lshit artist [ Oz Gaz ] misguided hardarse [ Top Gun ] referee overseer [ Richie , Lom ] hair splitter [ Bernard ]
historian [ Exiled ] mole digger [ Hoxton ] wine waiters at Raffles Goonie & G7 ,

Reindeer herder [ Hazuki ] Computer whizz kids [ Warrior & Granty Boy ] Wiltord watcher [ Niall ]

Wishes he was a Kiwi [ John 1 ] wishes he knew something about football [ Socrates ] some half arsed consultant DHD , eater of king Cobras [ Decaf ]

general dogbodies Bored , Brom , Zed , Master of the Short Word [ Abu ] my old sparring partner [ Harlow ] ... worse than Socrates [ Bubblechris ]
Still plays with a personally signed wooden Pancho Gonzales racquet [ Long Time ] wanna be John Grisham [ McQ ]
scriptwriter and general fairy floss [ Daz ] Irish nice guy Dec , Frank's son in law Darren ; dearly departed Mee, Fishbar

plus TomC .. worker from hell Kurty Burt ... would all agree no -one should hold a job position on past glories ..... if you can't hack it at the present time ...... you should go .

Let's face it if you as Bingo caller down the church hall , keep f***up the calls ... you should be replaced .... ?

We are in the main playing laboured unattractive football , it's time for change , and if you can't see that .......well have this in your dotage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA_0v78e_fw ...greatest musician of all time

Post #480963  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Wenger said he doesn't think Malcom will happen in January, which is hardly the same as saying we won't sign him at all.

As usual you have missed the point Rich was trying to make. The investment in the team for this season just isn't there. There's always tomorrow with us isn't there but it's more likely Malcolm will end up smashing a load of goals for the remainder of the year prior to a 60 million pound summer move to Bayern Munich.

Post #480964  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:58 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
As usual you have missed the point Rich was trying to make.

That's a strange conclusion considering I didn't comment on the point Rich was trying to make.

Post #480965  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:07 am 

According to Wikipedia these are the appearances and goal figures for Mkhitaryan.

2006–2009 Pyunik 70 (30)
2009–2010 Metalurh Donetsk 37 (12)
2010–2013 Shakhtar Donetsk 72 (38)
2013–2016 Borussia Dortmund 90 (23)
2016– Manchester United 39 (5)

In his last year for Dortmund he got 11 goals in 31 games his best season with them. These are all league figures - they do not include the cup games.

He might be Theo's replacement but I have serious doubts.

Post #480966  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:10 am 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
As usual you have missed the point Rich was trying to make.

That's a strange conclusion considering I didn't comment on the point Rich was trying to make.

You did it in a separate post and are now backtracking to try and make it look like your not the fool that you are

Post #480967  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:10 am 

Rich wrote:
£60m profit in the transfer market this season, with any fee for Sanchez to be added to that.
I would bet arsenal go and spend that £60m this window and dress it up as a success and a sign that we are ambitious “look we spent £60m on Aubameyang!” Totally ignoring a net spend of zero when even average teams around us are shelling out £50-60m minimum

Leicester have spent £110m net in the last 2 seasons. Nobody can tell me Arsenal can’t match that kind of spending

People seem to have missed the fact when the last transfer window closed all the stories were that we would be back for Lemar in January. What happened?

Post #480968  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:22 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
You did it in a separate post and are now backtracking to try and make it look like your not the fool that you are

So, to make this clear:

Wenger says he doesn't think we'll sign Malcom in January.

You claim Wenger has said we won't be signing Malcom.

I point out the discrepancy between the two statements.

You take this as me defending the problems with Arsenals entire transfer strategy as described in a completely separate post from another poster.

And now I'm the fool? Yeah, nice try.

Post #480969  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:26 am 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

So, to make this clear:

Wenger says he doesn't think we'll sign Malcom in January.

You claim Wenger has said we won't be signing Malcom.

I point out the discrepancy between the two statements.

You take this as me defending the problems with Arsenals entire transfer strategy as described in a completely separate post from another poster.

And now I'm the fool? Yeah, nice try.

It was a commentary you made on the previous 2 comments that were aimed at squad investment mainly. Ouch you missed the point and are looking silly by continuing it, I'd suggest stopping.

Post #480970  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:32 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
It was a commentary you made on the previous 2 comments that were aimed at squad investment mainly.

Thanks for trying to tell me what I was commenting on, but you're wrong. I think Rich was right from start to finish in his post, so I didn't need to comment on that.

I was just pointing out your misrepresentation of Wenger, as misrepresenting the words of others is such a pattern of yours. You're probably aware of this and embarassed of being caught out again so you're throwing a hissy fit. The press conference with Wenger is available for free on arsenal.com for anyone to listen to so you don't have to admit you're full of it.

Post #480971  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:05 am 

kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: I actually admire your stand Old Man .... like a lone decrepit Maunsell Fort standing bravely against the relentless anti Wenger waves

Wishes he was a Kiwi [ John 1 ] wishes he knew something about football [ Socrates ] some half arsed consultant DHD , eater of king Cobras [ Decaf ]

Hey Kiwi, you appear to have made a typo regarding me....... what you obviously meant to write was "incredibly handsome, intelligent and knowledgeable (Socrates)".

Post #480972  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:18 pm 

This rule about being able to pay 7% extra on wages year on year seems to be a load of bollox where Man U are concerned.
Looking at all the high profile players that Jose has brought in who would be paid more than players who are there and now he is bringing in Sanchez at gawd knows how much a week.
Yes I know he offloaded Rooney but I wouldn't mind betting they had to pay a big chunk of his wages for him to go to Everton.

Post #480973  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:05 pm 

goonerguru wrote:
This rule about being able to pay 7% extra on wages year on year seems to be a load of bollox where Man U are concerned.
Looking at all the high profile players that Jose has brought in who would be paid more than players who are there and now he is bringing in Sanchez at gawd knows how much a week.
Yes I know he offloaded Rooney but I wouldn't mind betting they had to pay a big chunk of his wages for him to go to Everton.

Funny how we include all staff wages yet most other PL clubs only the players?, a cynic might conclude this is a convenient way of Arsenal not spending too much on wages and thereby allowing Kroenke to attain more profit whilst pointing to it just being a case of "adhering to the rules", surely not..

Post #480974  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:20 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
£60m profit in the transfer market this season, with any fee for Sanchez to be added to that.
I would bet arsenal go and spend that £60m this window and dress it up as a success and a sign that we are ambitious “look we spent £60m on Aubameyang!” Totally ignoring a net spend of zero when even average teams around us are shelling out £50-60m minimum

Leicester have spent £110m net in the last 2 seasons. Nobody can tell me Arsenal can’t match that kind of spending

People seem to have missed the fact when the last transfer window closed all the stories were that we would be back for Lemar in January. What happened?

Speaking of Leicester, Mahrez isn't our target any more?

Post #480975  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:27 pm 

lomekian wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
I for one won't miss Theo. He's been consistently poor in my opinion whatever the 'numbers' say. I've also been reading (on Twitter admittedly) that he's a 'legend'. What a load of old rubbish that is.

Meh. He's a guy who could be devastating when the team played to his strengths and he was feeling confident, but equally could be rather pathetic and invisible when not. He's had runs of really impressive form and runs of shockingly bad form, and a lot of Ok in between. Had he been luckier with injuries and shown the mentally he had in the first half of last season and in 2012/13 with greater consistency he could have been a very very good player for us. As it happened he was an average player who did have the handy knack of scoring goals.

Time was right to part for both parties, but I will miss the fact he had a good goalscoring record against Chelsea and a decent one against City, Utd & Spurs.

Amazing pace, decent first touch, good finisher and did that one run between Centre-back and full back as well as any wide player I've seen. Sadly did precious little else except an assist flurry when RVP turned gold and they developed an understanding.

A decent Arsenal career, but one that leaves all parties slightly disappointed.

With 19 goals last season I thought he would get more starts in the league this season. Guess Lacazette's signing was the end of the road for him. Still think Walcott would have benefitted more if we play two upfront. Strange that two upfront is so out of fashion.

Post #480976  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:35 pm 

lomekian wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:
On what basis do you make this conclusion?

It entirely depends on the specifics of his role I'd assume? He clearly would be learning on the job, so you'd want him bedded in slowly and with as much quality support as possible. Naturally it would be better if this wasn't his first non-playing role, but in terms of character and the way his own career developed, the long term potential is there. Would I have been more comfortable if he'd been brought in alongside someone more experienced! Yes...hopefully this is where the chap from Reading comes in?

Has Luke Hobbs been a popular & successful interim?

If he is to be successful he will need good people around him - he doesn't have any knowledge about how academies work - or should I say how they have to work in this country.
There are many facets to having a successful academy and having an Ex-Pro running it isn't high on the list of qualifications.
He may be excellent, but is a huge gamble.
I'm not getting at anyone, but it does "amuse" me that people make the assumption that because someone has had a good playing career that they will automatically be a good coach, academy manager or some other non-playing role.
Liam Brady was my idol, and someone I have utmost respect for in terms of our academy, but, in my opinion put on some really poor coaching sessions.

Post #480977  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:14 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Maybe when you eventually wake up Hoy you'll see what's staring me, and almost everybody else including tomc, in the face.

Arrogant (his post match press conference at WBA last season after an abject display was a triumph in that respect), egotistical, greedy, selfish (to the point where he refuses to accept what the world and his wife knows, to the detriment of the club he professes to love so much). Not qualities that I find particularly likeable in a person but as Daz says, each to their own. And I'll save you the bother....ZZZZ

Post #480978  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think the clue here is the highlighted word.
The press really know zero about transfers when it comes to Arsenal.

Post #480979  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:58 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
goonerguru wrote:

Funny how we include all staff wages yet most other PL clubs only the players?, a cynic might conclude this is a convenient way of Arsenal not spending too much on wages and thereby allowing Kroenke to attain more profit whilst pointing to it just being a case of "adhering to the rules", surely not..

The biggest difference is we include all payments to staff, which others don't - e.g. image rights

Post #480980  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:00 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:

So it's a level playing field at least.

Post #480981  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:30 pm 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

It's surely a matter of opinion and taste.

I share tom's. I think Wenger is selfish, elitist, affected, petulant and small-minded. None of which are qualities that particularly appeal to me. He has the unattractive type of greed of men who lack the imagination to think of ways to indulge the fortunes they accumulate. And to hold a club in hock to his inability to face up to retirement is almost singularly pathetic.

Plus he dresses like a *%^@ and has a weird-shaped head.

It must be tricky for you though - a member of the massive silent majority who can see all Wenger's great qualities and has to watch through disapprovingly pursed lips at the way an "Arsenal man through and through" has his skilful stewardship of the club rewarded. So much racket from that noisy minority of pretty much every observer (including the vast majority of Arsenal fans venturing an opinion) in alliance with the mainstream media and northern refs!

To be honest, if I had come up with the utter nonsense you did on our enemies in the north hating us successful sophisticated southerners so much they were unable to restrain their bias against our top club (even though we aren't) I might keep my finger away from the Z key for an Atlee-esque period of time and go and listen to some Sibelius.
Its OK to like Arsene Wenger and Sibelius. 'Love and only love will endure. Hate is everything you think it is.' Hate on, losers.

Post #480982  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:32 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
goonerguru wrote:

We only include staff wages in our accounts and reports, not for the basis of this rule.

Post #480983  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:39 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
lomekian wrote:

It entirely depends on the specifics of his role I'd assume? He clearly would be learning on the job, so you'd want him bedded in slowly and with as much quality support as possible. Naturally it would be better if this wasn't his first non-playing role, but in terms of character and the way his own career developed, the long term potential is there. Would I have been more comfortable if he'd been brought in alongside someone more experienced! Yes...hopefully this is where the chap from Reading comes in?

Has Luke Hobbs been a popular & successful interim?

If he is to be successful he will need good people around him - he doesn't have any knowledge about how academies work - or should I say how they have to work in this country.
There are many facets to having a successful academy and having an Ex-Pro running it isn't high on the list of qualifications.
He may be excellent, but is a huge gamble.
I'm not getting at anyone, but it does "amuse" me that people make the assumption that because someone has had a good playing career that they will automatically be a good coach, academy manager or some other non-playing role.
Liam Brady was my idol, and someone I have utmost respect for in terms of our academy, but, in my opinion put on some really poor coaching sessions.

For sure, if Mertesacker is not supported sufficiently, and tries to change too much too quickly it could be a disaster. Hopefully his role will be more of a figurehead one, making more macro than micro decisions, at least until he has been in the role for a while. He's obviously been hired for his character, work ethic and demonstrated desire to embed himself in the fabric of the club rather more fully than most. I guess it will be inspiring for kids to get advice from someone who can say that they went from being a limited amateur at school to world cup winner due to intelligence, dedication and self awareness. Not as cool as having Thierry about but possibly more useful, because Mertesacker exceeded the ceiling his physical and technical gifts should have imposed.

Post #480984  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:41 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I think the clue here is the highlighted word.

Yeah...the only one who is reliable is Ornstein because he is happy to break a story later to be more accurate.

Post #480985  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:41 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Its OK to like Arsene Wenger and Sibelius. 'Love and only love will endure. Hate is everything you think it is.' Hate on, losers.

It is although your level of denial of the problems afflicting our club is kind of the other extreme really.

Neil Young's done some ropey old *%^@ in his time as well.

Post #480986  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:47 pm 

I hasten to add that I don't HATE Wenger. It's only football. I just think he's overrated in some quarters, stinking the fridge out like five day fish, and a bit of a plank.

He said another thing today that makes no *%^@*** sense at all and yet delivers it with the kind of solemnity that makes suckers like you (hey if you can go around zzzzing everybody and calling them losers then have some sauce you old gander) lap it up and consider him a Solomon.

When asked whether Aubameyang would fit in, he replied: "Yes because a character can be of a very positive note and can be a very negative note.

"I believe that overall you look at the achievement of a player during his career and usually when a career has been very positive, the character has been used in a positive way."

Wenger specialises in this kind of barely coherent guff.

Post #480987  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:35 pm 

So if we do sign Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan how do we set up with those two AND Özil and Lacazette? Because surely the later two can’t be dropped?
That is 4 players who thrive centrally. Can anyone recall where Mkhitaryan played and in what formation when he was at Dortmund?

Is this the culmination of wenger’s obsession with central players and he’ll play 4-2-2-2 with zero width at all?

Post #480988  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:10 pm 

Daz wrote:
I hasten to add that I don't HATE Wenger. It's only football. I just think he's overrated in some quarters, stinking the fridge out like five day fish, and a bit of a plank.

He said another thing today that makes no *%^@*** sense at all and yet delivers it with the kind of solemnity that makes suckers like you (hey if you can go around zzzzing everybody and calling them losers then have some sauce you old gander) lap it up and consider him a Solomon.

When asked whether Aubameyang would fit in, he replied: "Yes because a character can be of a very positive note and can be a very negative note.

"I believe that overall you look at the achievement of a player during his career and usually when a career has been very positive, the character has been used in a positive way."

Wenger specialises in this kind of barely coherent guff.

It's just spin, Daz. Asked an awkward question about a potential signings character, he turned it into a positive which the player will undoubtedly like.

Post #480989  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
So if we do sign Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan how do we set up with those two AND Özil and Lacazette? Because surely the later two can’t be dropped?
That is 4 players who thrive centrally. Can anyone recall where Mkhitaryan played and in what formation when he was at Dortmund?

Is this the culmination of wenger’s obsession with central players and he’ll play 4-2-2-2 with zero width at all?

I thought Mkhitaryan was a right sided midfielder when he played for Dortmund but am happy to be corrected.

Didn't he miss a couple of great chances against us in one of the fixtures in Germany?

Post #480990  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:38 pm 

Niall wrote:
I thought Mkhitaryan was a right sided midfielder when he played for Dortmund but am happy to be corrected.

Didn't he miss a couple of great chances against us in one of the fixtures in Germany?

Yeah, think he's been primarily used on the right side and as a no 10 throughout his career. Whenever I've seen him he's always looked quite ambidextrous, so he can probably play all across the front line.

Plenty of reports from Germany that Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan are as good as done deals. Hope we at stil give Malcom a real try, loan him back for the rest of the season if it's the only way. We need to build for the future, not just sign stop gaps, however good they are.

Post #480991  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:50 pm 

I wonder if our new chief scout can tempt some more Dortmund players over. Reus has been admired by Wenger for years - he's got a classic Arsenal injury record as well.

I'd be more interested in Pulisic and Weigl. Two very good young midfielders.

Post #480992  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:10 pm 

Niall wrote:
It's just spin, Daz. Asked an awkward question about a potential signings character, he turned it into a positive which the player will undoubtedly like.

It's gibberish.

He's meant to be smart according to his hagiographers.

Post #480993  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:11 pm 

Niall wrote:
am happy to be corrected.

Hmmm...

Post #480994  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:25 pm 

Daz wrote:
It's gibberish.

You're not wrong, but at this point it kind of feels like I'm fluent in Wenger gibberish. I think the point Wenger was trying to make was that Aubameyang has been accused of being selfish and having a bad attitude (which was what the question was about) but seeing as he's had a very successful career he's managed to turn his attitude into something positive.

Although if I wanted to make that point I would probably not use the sentence "I believe that overall you look at the achievement of a player during his career and usually when a career has been very positive, the character has been used in a positive way."

Post #480995  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:46 pm 

kiwipete wrote:

Since we don't get those down here, and I presume they haven't featured in any Indian cuisine I have enjoyed, I take it you mean that as a metaphorical reference to my potency and prowess in battle?

Post #480996  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:51 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Have to wonder how the position he's played for basically his entire professional career is not considered his right one.

:53big-emoticons: top marks to Bjorn Borg ... thought myself before frantic activities took me away .... "Oh he's playing out of position " :laughing7: .......... who decided that .....?

Well in between trimming his beard , fitting a new earring , wondering what sort of tattoo would make him look mean , admiring the new Porsche Theo apparently decided

...... "I dont want to be Marc Overmars I'll be Thierry Henry "

.... unfortunately he never remotely did enough work to match either but suddenly our American friend in between cleaning the .357 , bazooka and M16 .......feels Theo's been hard done by .

American may have a point. Did Theo ever have a 'right position' to be out of?

Post #480997  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:52 pm 

I think Wenger can be compared to a modernist artist. One person looks at his work & interprets it as the artist was trying to get X message across. Then along comes someone else who says he was expressing anger at the modern society.

Then along comes a number of people who ask ‘ what the f is that supposed to be.’ Well my interpretation of the latest press conference is in line with the last group.

Post #480998  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:04 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Daz wrote:
It's gibberish.

You're not wrong, but at this point it kind of feels like I'm fluent in Wenger gibberish...

Perhaps you should be our next back-room appointment. As a translator.

I've been thinking for some time that this might be the root cause of many of our on-field problems. While it's easy to blame them on a lack of coaching, Wenger being unable to motivate the players, Bellerin's pusillanimous hairdo, etc, could it be that the players simply have no idea what on earth the manager is going on about?

It's noticeable that the coherence of his spoken English has declined markedly in the last few years. Of course 21 years in the English game will do that to anyone, but he's no Trevor Brooking, that's for sure.

Post #480999  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:10 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I think Wenger can be compared to a modernist artist. One person looks at his work & interprets it as the artist was trying to get X message across. Then along comes someone else who says he was expressing anger at the modern society.

Then along comes a number of people who ask ‘ what the f is that supposed to be.’ Well my interpretation of the latest press conference is in line with the last group.

Exactly my point. Substitute "press conference" for "team talk" and look what you get.

At this point I'm not even confident of 6th place, though still hoping to be spectacularly wrong.

Post #481000  Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:07 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

You're obsessed with Arsene Wenger. Is that good for you?

[ 571641 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12022, 12023, 12024, 12025, 12026, 12027, 12028 ... 14292  Next