Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 96 guests

Post #505881  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Belated welcome back to the forum and thank you for providing the historical items which have been missed by this poster. You will know this, but I believe it was writing about 'Boy' Bastin that launched the incomparable Brian Glanville's football writing career?

Brian Glanville is still alive. Getting on a bit, as he’s now 88.

When I was younger I always loved his writing. My favourite football journalist

Glanville seemed to try and hide his feelings about arsenal in his writings I think and over compensated but you’d Always enjoy his pieces.

Like I said previously being able to write like that is a true gift

Post #505882  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:56 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Darren wrote:
Agree with Bernard. Emery is just a bloke turning up for work until he’s told not to now. This is now all on the Football Executivw Committee or whatever they’re called and the Kroenkes. This has actually stopped being about Emery’s ability as a manager and is now squarely on those above him to manage this situation.

Absolute spot on in that assessment. It’s become ridiculous.

It beggars belief that Emery is still in the job. It says as much about the ineptitude of those above him as it does about Emery himself. I mean, can Edu not see what is going on in front of him?!

Post #505883  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:02 pm 

tomc wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Absolute spot on in that assessment. It’s become ridiculous.

It beggars belief that Emery is still in the job. It says as much about the ineptitude of those above him as it does about Emery himself. I mean, can Edu not see what is going on in front of him?!

I'm sure Edu can see what's happening, but also that he may be able to recommend getting rid of Emery, but without the power to actually sack him. That decision will be down to the person who will have to pay him off - Kroenke.

Post #505884  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:34 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:
...Anyway, here's an advert from the Picture Post today in 1938.
Belated welcome back to the forum and thank you for providing the historical items which have been missed by this poster. You will know this, but I believe it was writing about 'Boy' Bastin that launched the incomparable Brian Glanville's football writing career?

Hi OMOH.

Yes, and you can read it here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99068843@ ... 0109428779

Also this is a few (Arsenal relevant) pieces from a collection he edited https://www.flickr.com/photos/99068843@ ... 9383303896

Post #505885  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:56 pm 

Man U and spurs target Bruno Fernandes of Sporting has just signed a new deal with them with a buy-out clause of £100m

Post #505886  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:09 am 

This...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 24310/amp/

Post #505887  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:53 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Brian Glanville is still alive. Getting on a bit, as he’s now 88.

When I was younger I always loved his writing. My favourite football journalist

Glanville seemed to try and hide his feelings about arsenal in his writings I think and over compensated but you’d Always enjoy his pieces.

Like I said previously being able to write like that is a true gift

Did he write that book 'They used to play on grass'. Despite it being about Spurs it was a great read

Post #505888  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:53 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Did he write that book 'They used to play on grass'.

That was Terry Venables, Gaz

Post #505889  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:37 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Despite it being about Spurs it was a great read

I think you might be remembering 'The Glory Game' by Hunter Davies. It was indeed a great read and I remember it well. It's still widely regarded as one of the best books ever written on football, right up there with 'We All Live In A Perry Groves World'.

Post #505890  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:20 pm 

The guy from Wolves would be a fundamentally underwhelming appointment for us.

It wouldn’t shock me at all if he’s appointed though would be very Kroenke

Post #505891  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:30 pm 

Emery’s future will be judged on the Frankfurt & Norwich fixtures, according to @TeleFootball

It’s changing after every bad game

Post #505892  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:15 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Hi TG,

As someone on here pointed out the other day, there are a lot of elite (or would be elite) clubs looking for elite managers and there are not many around.

Everyone we've been linked with is flawed in some way and we are going to be rolling the dice that we hit on someone whose strengths can significantly outweigh their weaknesses once they take charge. Otherwise we will be back to square one in two years time.

Post #505893  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:17 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Emery’s future will be judged on the Frankfurt & Norwich fixtures, according to @TeleFootball

It’s changing after every bad game

He'e had more than enough time to show his mettle and it is just not working, he is not the right fit for this club, the way we want to play and where we want to get to.

Who is the right fit is another matter entirely.

Post #505894  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:33 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hi TG,

As someone on here pointed out the other day, there are a lot of elite (or would be elite) clubs looking for elite managers and there are not many around.

Everyone we've been linked with is flawed in some way and we are going to be rolling the dice that we hit on someone whose strengths can significantly outweigh their weaknesses once they take charge. Otherwise we will be back to square one in two years time.

Hi Soc

I think the 2 logical options are Allegri and Pochettino or alternatively go down a seperate route and take a Hail Mary on an ex player like Arteta or Vieira.

Just think that Nuno guy is underwhelming. Whilst he has done well at wolves his previous career was mediocre and middling.

That said I think pretty much anyone including fat Sam would be better than Emery. I’ve been in the US so missed the saints game but looked at the starting line and couldn’t believe it

Chambers, Luiz, Sokratis, Bellerin, Torreira, Tierney ALL in the same team at home v saints!

The bloke is just absolutely hopeless and I can’t for the life of me suggest why he hasn’t been fired yet.

Post #505895  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Not sure why .... :icon_scratch: from what I've seen he has Wolves playing nice and direct , press well when not in possession , has them punching well above their weight , knows the league already .

" A very Kroenke appointment " what does that mean .

We all thought ANYONE after Wenger would be an improvement we got that totally wrong .

When Wenger dynasty started to sour we could have had our pick of managers to replace Arsene .... We were considered up there with the elite .

These days sorting out Arsenal would be similar to rebuilding a classic Pierce Arrow that's run off the side of a ten thousand foot mountain and hit a dozen rocky outcrops on the way down .

If he had any brains Nunez would stay at Wolves anyway , far less stress .

Sorting out our log jam of mediocrity is going to take a super human effort .

Kroenke's LA Rams got absolutely massacred at home last weekend by the Baltimore Ravens

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92LgF8-WrQk :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #505896  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:14 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

:

An Unimpressive cheap option rather than being ambitious and making a statement of intent.

Reminds me of Emery mark 2. His best achievement was winning the championship with a team that was flooded with Jorge Mendes loan imports and backed by Chinese cash. Does this mean we should also consider Tony Pulis who got stoke promoted and to mid table.

Post #505897  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

:

An Unimpressive cheap option rather than being ambitious and making a statement of intent.

Reminds me of Emery mark 2. His best achievement was winning the championship with a team that was flooded with Jorge Mendes loan imports and backed by Chinese cash. Does this mean we should also consider Tony Pulis who got stoke promoted and to mid table.

He also seems very embedded in the Portuguese 'project' going on there. I'm with Kiwi in that I'm not sure he'd exactly jump at the chance, but maybe he would. I would suspect he's coming to the end of his contract otherwise exteicatung a manager from his contract can't be considered the cheap option.

Whoever we'd go for, it's literally impossible to tell what might happen. It might work it might not, unless it's someone in their prime, on the crest of a wave, at the elite end of success, it's always going to be a gamble and a huge ask. Clearly Emery has the major control over the team, the atmosphere at training, the lineup and captain etc, as Edu Sanlehi et Al seem to have had no influence at all over the team or performances, so we're asking someone to come in and effect culture and atmosphere change, not just someone who's a decent match day coach.

We're really looking for someone who has
1 A very strong personality to impose culture change
2 who knows the league
3 is a proven winner or someone who can be a winner (in the case of Vieira or Arteta)
4 plays with big club mentality and style

Anything else? Because I think we've already narrowed the field to no-one.

So we have to gamble simple as.

Post #505898  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:03 pm 

Thinking about the make up of our central midfield and just comparing it to Chelsea:
Arsenal: ceballos, Xhaka, torriera, Guendouzi, Willock
Chelsea: kante, Jorginho, kovacic, mount

It’s like chalk and cheese.

Liverpool: Fabinho, Henderson, Milner, winajldum, ox

Experience, discipline, strength, power. Everything we miss. Need a complete rebuild in that area

Post #505899  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:26 pm 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He also seems very embedded in the Portuguese 'project' going on there. I'm with Kiwi in that I'm not sure he'd exactly jump at the chance, but maybe he would. I would suspect he's coming to the end of his contract otherwise exteicatung a manager from his contract can't be considered the cheap option.

as.

His contract is only 3 million per year though. Emery’s is 6 million. When you consider that spurs are now paying Mourinho 15 million a year he’s a cheap option.

The appointment that’s would make sense is probably Pochettino of all people, out of work, used to working on a budget, decent football philosophy, already lives in London. He’s probably going to end up at a bigger club and yes you and kiwi are right that the arsenal job seems a less attractive proposition these days,

Post #505900  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:01 pm 

Ash wrote:
We're really looking for someone who has
1 A very strong personality to impose culture change
2 who knows the league
3 is a proven winner or someone who can be a winner (in the case of Vieira or Arteta)
4 plays with big club mentality and style

Anything else? Because I think we've already narrowed the field to no-one.

So we have to gamble simple as.
There are plenty of top managers out there. Using your criteria the field could include Ancelotti, Lauren Blanc, Conte and Rafa. For a temporary solution until end of season, an older guy like Hiddink could be considered. And then there are the national managers who could be chased after Euro Championships are over - Low, Koeman, Deschamps and my personal favourite, Mancini. Even Southgate could be considered.

Post #505901  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:16 pm 

DHD wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Despite it being about Spurs it was a great read

I think you might be remembering 'The Glory Game' by Hunter Davies. It was indeed a great read and I remember it well. It's still widely regarded as one of the best books ever written on football, right up there with 'We All Live In A Perry Groves World'.

I think you are correct. I hate getting old and things I read in the 70 & 80’s are a bit fuzzy. Embarrassing really.

Post #505902  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:19 pm 

Listened to some podcasts & they were talk as if the Frankfurt game is an easy win. Obviously they didn’t watch the first game because they absolutely took us apart in the first half and should have been out of sight by half time. I think we may struggle even though we are at home

Post #505903  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:42 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Listened to some podcasts & they were talk as if the Frankfurt game is an easy win. Obviously they didn’t watch the first game because they absolutely took us apart in the first half and should have been out of sight by half time. I think we may struggle even though we are at home

I wonder if he will pick the kids given how much pressure he’s under. If it’s essentially our first team you know he’s feeling the heat.

Would be nice to see some more of our 72 million pound winger who sits on the bench most weeks.

Post #505904  Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:14 pm 

"A very Kroenke type"
As long as those 2 are at the helm, anticipating a Simeone or Allegri calibre seems a bit out of reach, costly. Nothing against Nuno, Arteta, Benitez or Vieira at all. Just that KSE prefers someone who isn't demanding, let alone overly ambitious. After all, Stan stated he wasn't interested in trophies.

Post #505905  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:02 am 

Zed wrote:
"A very Kroenke type"
As long as those 2 are at the helm, anticipating a Simeone or Allegri calibre seems a bit out of reach, costly. Nothing against Nuno, Arteta, Benitez or Vieira at all. Just that KSE prefers someone who isn't demanding, let alone overly ambitious. After all, Stan stated he wasn't interested in trophies.

Well Stans wish has been granted because I feel a long way away from any trophy

Post #505906  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I’ve been in the US so missed the saints game

Should have popped around and given Stan Kroenke a few pointers while you were there . TG :icon_mrgreen1:

Pochettino would be my choice / Arteta next

Why isn't the Frankfurt game listed on BBC sport https://www.bbc.com/sport/football

Post #505907  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:39 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:

as.

His contract is only 3 million per year though. Emery’s is 6 million. When you consider that spurs are now paying Mourinho 15 million a year he’s a cheap option.

Sounds like the approach we've taken with our defence for the last 10 years.

Post #505908  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:30 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not sure why .... :icon_scratch: from what I've seen he has Wolves playing nice and direct , press well when not in possession , has them punching well above their weight , knows the league already .

We all thought ANYONE after Wenger would be an improvement we got that totally wrong .

When Wenger dynasty started to sour we could have had our pick of managers to replace Arsene .... We were considered up there with the elite .

These days sorting out Arsenal would be similar to rebuilding a classic Pierce Arrow that's run off the side of a ten thousand foot mountain and hit a dozen rocky outcrops on the way down .

If he had any brains Nunez would stay at Wolves anyway , far less stress .

Sorting out our log jam of mediocrity is going to take a super human effort .

Kroenke's LA Rams got absolutely massacred at home last weekend by the Baltimore Ravens

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92LgF8-WrQk :laughing7: :laughing7:

I think you exaggerate how much work it would take to fix things. I don't agree with people who attribute this to some deep malaise at the club that would take years to correct.

The matter is fairly simple. Emery has failed. This is for very specific reasons that are all too plain to see. Mostly, he tried to play a style of football that was very unlikely to work, firstly because it is not really suited to the Prem and secondly given the players at his disposal (particularly in central defense and central midfield). This has led to chopping and changing and players losing confidence and a general loss of direction. He wouldn't be the first continental manager to fail to adjust to the English game.

Post #505909  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:37 am 

I think it’s not that Emery hasn’t adapted he’s just not that good full stop. He just doesn’t know what he’s doing.

At PSG his moaning after about Neymar etc was ridiculous and despite having a ton more money he lost a title to Monaco’s kids.

At Spartak the chairman fired him in the dressing room in front of his own players.

The height of his achievements as a manager was a Europa league with Seville. How we got the PSG job I have no idea and He shouldn’t be anywhere near a club like arsenal

Post #505910  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:25 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I think it’s not that Emery hasn’t adapted he’s just not that good full stop. He just doesn’t know what he’s doing.

At PSG his moaning after about Neymar etc was ridiculous and despite having a ton more money he lost a title to Monaco’s kids.

At Spartak the chairman fired him in the dressing room in front of his own players.

The height of his achievements as a manager was a Europa league with Seville. How we got the PSG job I have no idea and He shouldn’t be anywhere near a club like arsenal

Tony Pulis it is then. Some people work and some don’t. Frankly I have no idea whether the next one will work and that’s before he’s appointed. Total lottery & either a truck of money or just plain old luck will decide it. Not much use losing it. What’s done is done & when we find a new manager let’s hope it works. Afterall 19/20 managers are actually duds every year in the epl.

Post #505911  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:03 am 

Nuno is a client of super-agent Jorge Mendes, as are a number of the Wolves team. The manager and players were parachuted in from Portugal by the new Chinese owners, pretty much as a job lot, in an effort to win promotion. Mendes was at the centre of the transformation that resulted in a successful return to the PL in 2018.

Mendes is apparently a close associate of Sanllehi and recently brokered the deal for Pépé, so there’s obviously some basis for the rumours.

However, Wolves under Nuno are a team who get by typically with a low percentage of possession. They defend in depth and rely on vigorous pressing. They are a defensive counter-attacking team and they do it very well. Arsenal have been the very opposite for a generation so if Nuno is appointed and pursues the same strategy, it would represent a fundamental change of style. At Arsenal, he wouldn't have the players for such tactics so he'd need several transfer windows. He certainly wouldn’t have the support from the fanbase who have grown up on something very different.

I really can't see it happening.

Post #505912  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:58 pm 

Arsenal sack Emery...only care what happens afyer this

Post #505913  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:59 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Arsenal sack Emery...only care what happens after this

Empty ground = empty brand = Kroenke worried

Post #505914  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:58 pm 

DHD wrote:
Nuno is a client of super-agent Jorge Mendes, as are a number of the Wolves team. The manager and players were parachuted in from Portugal by the new Chinese owners, pretty much as a job lot, in an effort to win promotion. Mendes was at the centre of the transformation that resulted in a successful return to the PL in 2018.

Mendes is apparently a close associate of Sanllehi and recently brokered the deal for Pépé, so there’s obviously some basis for the rumours.

However, Wolves under Nuno are a team who get by typically with a low percentage of possession. They defend in depth and rely on vigorous pressing. They are a defensive counter-attacking team and they do it very well. Arsenal have been the very opposite for a generation so if Nuno is appointed and pursues the same strategy, it would represent a fundamental change of style. At Arsenal, he wouldn't have the players for such tactics so he'd need several transfer windows. He certainly wouldn’t have the support from the fanbase who have grown up on something very different.

I really can't see it happening.

I can. Absolutely

I wouldn’t trust the guys running the club at all. It’s a testament that the board have even *%^@** up the sacking of Emery as you now have this very visible public charade taking place when he should have gone by now.

A swift decisive decision being made by the arsenal board to move quickly? . Ha ! Yeah right! I’ll believe it when I see it.

I have zero faith in them selecting the right character and something like Mendes feeding Raul the line of nuno being a great choice wouldn’t surprise me one iota. Being Portuguese is a tick in the box for edu too probably.

Also the stories coming out of the club are bizarre, O’Leary on the board ? The chairman wanting to resign. It sounds like people at Arsenal may suspect Raul Sanellhi has too much power. Somethings going on.

Right now I can’t see us getting an Allegri or a Pochettino (who makes most sense) and would rather we took a complete Hail Mary on an ex player than someone with a mediocre record.

Post #505915  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Well then perhaps you should inform yourself a little bit before posting. Emery is a very good coach with a great track record. He has been successful at every club bar Spartak. For whatever reasons it isn't working out with us.

Post #505916  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:21 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Well then perhaps you should inform yourself a little bit before posting. Emery is a very good coach with a great track record. He has been successful at every club bar Spartak.

Nah he’s pants, completely pants.

His team selection at the weekend has me doubting his sanity and if the barometer of success is bagging an odd Europa league then maybe we should have appointed Roy Hodgson because he got Fulham to a final with Bobby Zamora up front.

As Darron rightly said months back, he’s a bum as we got this one wrong. (Especially me)

Post #505917  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:33 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Well then perhaps you should inform yourself a little bit before posting. Emery is a very good coach with a great track record. He has been successful at every club bar Spartak. For whatever reasons it isn't working out with us.

Winning the Europa three times on the trot is an impressive achievement, and that's obviously a big reason why he got the PSG job. I would disagree that he was successful in France, and Spartak and of course Arsenal have been abject failures. Anyway, whatever his past he is obviously not the man for us and the sooner he collects his P45 the better.

Post #505918  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:56 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Winning the Europa three times on the trot is an impressive achievement, and that's obviously a big reason why he got the PSG job. I would disagree that he was successful in France, and Spartak and of course Arsenal have been abject failures. Anyway, whatever his past he is obviously not the man for us and the sooner he collects his P45 the better.

His achievements at all clubs bar Spartak and to a lesser extent PSG are impressive. He seems to have undermined at PSG by circus nature of the club and the fact Neymar had the owners ear. The guy has management talent only a fool would say otherwise. Why it's not working here I don't know. Maybe it is the language?

Post #505919  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:44 pm 

Wow, this is pretty amazing for the New York Times, arguably the newspaper with the highest pedigree in America doing an article on Arsenal Fan TV. You probably won't be able to read it due to the NYT may charge for it but the fact there is an article in the first place is kinda remarkable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/28/spor ... an-tv.html

Post #505920  Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:58 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

His achievements at all clubs bar Spartak and to a lesser extent PSG are impressive. He seems to have undermined at PSG by circus nature of the club and the fact Neymar had the owners ear. The guy has management talent only a fool would say otherwise. Why it's not working here I don't know. Maybe it is the language?

It's far too easy to blame Neymar because he comes across as an unlikeable character. He is one hell of a footballer though and was easily PSG's best player when Emery had his issues with him. Emery also had problems with Cavani, Ben Arfa and DiMaria.

I think it's fair to say that Emery has been terrible for us. Sometimes things don't work out. It is really on him though. Tactics, player management and making us far far less than the sum of our parts.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12645, 12646, 12647, 12648, 12649, 12650, 12651 ... 14269  Next