Fixtures Tuesday April 23rd - Chelsea - Emirates Stadium - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 149 guests

Post #501161  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:08 pm 

Nketiah on loan at Leeds.

Although we’ve had a good window the jury’s still out as to who’s had the best.

Post #501162  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:13 pm 

Ash wrote:

Unrealistic I suppose to expect Nketiah and Willock to get much of a look-in this season given the signings, but I was particularly looking forward to seeing more of those two.

Post #501163  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
Watford have signed that lad Sarr who was impressive against us playing for Rennes last year. £35m. Good young player but not in Pépé’s class

They also signed Welbeck earlier today..............

Post #501164  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:20 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Iwobi to Everton for £45m could be on

If we sell iwobi for the same price we buy Tierney, Luiz, Martinelli, and have £6m change then that is some decent business

Being reported as “could still happen”.

Totally baffled, as always, as to what the deadline actually is.

Would much rather mkhitaryan went but the reality is there was no way we could drop £130m this summer without getting something more substantial back.
Similar to Ox there will be the regret that he may turn in to something better at only 23, but the reality is we’ve sold a player for £40m who wasn’t ever first choice and who’s end product was often severely lacking.

Post #501165  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:33 pm 

I have mixed feelings about the Iwobi sale but every player has his price and what we have allegedly got (35m+) is about his price. Put it this way, if you asked me how much we'd get for Iwobi at the start of the window I'd have said his price was about 20m or so, mainly due to a lack of end product. Obviously the market has inflated over the last few weeks but even so 35m is quite a lot of money, although still less than half the Pépé fee. Let's hope Pépé proves to be the real deal.

I'm actually a little surprised he was prepared to go but perhaps the arrival of Pépé and the financial package on offer from Everton were enough to persuade him that his future lie elsewhere.

He seems like a great kid and always gave his all so I genuinely hope he improves his end product and goes on to have a stellar career and makes us regret selling him.

Good luck Alex.

Post #501166  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:47 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal: Pépé, Ceballos, Luiz, Tierney, martinelli, saliba(next year)
Spurs: ndombele, Sessegnon, lo Celso, Clarke
Man U: Maguire, wan-bissaka, James
Man City: Rodri, angelino, Cancelo
Chelsea: pulisic, kovacavic
Liverpool: none

Arsenal have definitely had the best window

All City can do is mild tweaking to their team. They have spent a king's ransom...or more specifically an Emir's ransom on the best players that would take their money at each position...twice over. With the exception of Messi or Neymar or someone in that class, its tough to bring in anyone.

Liverpool surprised me a bit. I'd think they needed a player or two get over that hump to get to City.

Chelsea surprised me as well. Their fans are not confident going into the season from what I gather at their forums. They don't rate Luiz much because in their opinion, the defense is the problem...like us. Lampard has a lot of goodwill as capital and he'll get some time but their fans are desperate. If he doesn't do well fairly soon, there will be moans.

Man Yoo...hmmm...Pogba staying will be interesting to see if he's settled in again.

Man for man, we had the worse side of the top end of last season maybe. Chelsea and us vied for the worse side. Chelsea's issue may have been more Sarri than the squad. We'll have to wait and see.

Post #501167  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:49 pm 

DHD wrote:
Ash wrote:

Unrealistic I suppose to expect Nketiah and Willock to get much of a look-in this season given the signings, but I was particularly looking forward to seeing more of those two.

I like both players and hope getting first time minutes in a decent team and league will improve them and come back to us ready for first team football.

Post #501168  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:51 pm 

Iwobi was frustrating at times. The price is a decent one. Maybe too late to get some other business done and if so, it gives us some money to play with next transfer window.

Post #501169  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:54 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
DHD wrote:

I like both players and hope getting first time minutes in a decent team and league will improve them and come back to us ready for first team football.

Our Willock is Joe, I believe it's his brother Chris who's on loan to West Brom from Benfica.

Post #501170  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:03 pm 

Slightly worrying that Luiz hasn't been announced yet, the window is shut now. Let's hope we've got the deal done.

Post #501171  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:03 pm 

Apparently Aubameyang and Lacazette signed new contracts with the club today. Seems like we’re really getting our house in order

Post #501172  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:06 pm 

If 4 years ago we’d signed a 19 year old winger who then scored 15 goals in 150 appearances......and then we sold him for £35-40m we’d surely be relatively happy with that business if it was necessary business to balance the books

Post #501173  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:09 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Slightly worrying that Luiz hasn't been announced yet, the window is shut now. Let's hope we've got the deal done.

They’ve said the ‘deal sheets’ were submitted. It should get done

Post #501174  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:26 pm 

Completely forgot about Chelsea's transfer ban. They couldn't really afford to lose a defender right now since they have identified that as the position most in need of strengthening. Apparently, Luiz and Lampard had a falling out.

Well, he needs to start against Chelsea for sure. :58big-emoticons:

Post #501175  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
Apparently Aubameyang and Lacazette signed new contracts with the club today. Seems like we’re really getting our house in order

That is most encouraging. Both from a financial perspective and a club morale/motivation one.

Post #501176  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

They’ve said the ‘deal sheets’ were submitted. It should get done

And it has. A good window.

Post #501177  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:42 pm 

Right, over to you Unai. You've been backed to the hilt, now you need to show us you whether you are the real deal or not. No excuses.

On paper one of the best windows we've ever had. Quality signings in key areas and mainly youthful ones too.

Of course, there are no guarantees and players may fail to settle or prove to have been overhyped but if things pan out well we may have lifted ourselves to the next level. Not City or Liverpool's level just yet but hopefully strong contenders for a third place finish and closing the gap on the top two.

Fingers crossed.

Post #501178  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:17 pm 

Astonishing to think of the player turnover since the winter 2017 transfer window.
Roughly speaking, and in terms of genuine first team squad players I make it that those 4 transfer windows have seen 15 players out and 13 players in.
Best 11 now
Leno
Bellerin-Sokratis-Luiz-Tierney
Xhaka-Ceballos
Pepe-Ozil-Aubameyang
Lacazette

Second 11
Martinez
AMN-Chambers-Holding-Kolasinac
Torreira-Guendouzi
Nelson-Willock-mkhitaryan
Martinelli

Post #501179  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
Astonishing to think of the player turnover since the winter 2017 transfer window.
Roughly speaking, and in terms of genuine first team squad players I make it that those 4 transfer windows have seen 15 players out and 13 players in.
Best 11 now
Leno
Xhaka-Ceballos
Pepe-Ozil-Aubameyang
Lacazette

Second 11
Martinez
Torreira-Guendouzi
Martinelli

Not sure I agree with your first eleven. Mine would be Leno, Bellerin, Sokratis, Luiz, Tierney, Torreira, Guendouzi, Ceballos, Pépé, Lacazette, Aubameyang.

Post #501180  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:22 pm 

We should get Raul Sanllehi to handle the Brexit negotiations.

Post #501181  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Best 11 now
Leno
Xhaka-Ceballos
Pepe-Ozil-Aubameyang
Lacazette

Second 11
Martinez
Torreira-Guendouzi
Martinelli

Not sure I agree with your first eleven. Mine would be Leno, Bellerin, Sokratis, Luiz, Tierney, Torreira, Guendouzi, Ceballos, Pépé, Lacazette, Aubameyang.

That would be mine too.

Post #501182  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Best 11 now
Leno
Xhaka-Ceballos
Pepe-Ozil-Aubameyang
Lacazette

Second 11
Martinez
Torreira-Guendouzi
Martinelli

I was going by what Emery will pick. An at his best Özil would be in the starting 11, but I’m minded to agree with your 11. At the start of the season it wouldn’t surprise me if Willock starts

Post #501183  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:10 pm 

Liverpool have been widely praised for waiting for Van Dijk when they could sign him when they wanted. If Arsenal’s main CB targets weren’t available at the right price, then I’m glad we’ve not splurged £30-40m on a ‘maybe’ CB. Signing Luiz for £8m on a 2 year deal is a very good stop gap.

Post #501184  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:11 pm 

Some really good deals although the proof will be in how they perform particularly in the defence. Will be very interesting as to how we set up and play this week-end. Mustafi would still be my reserve in the defensive middle. I am not sure Luiz is much of an improvement but I recognise that defensive combinations work not because you have the best players but because players gel together and work well in combination with each other. lets hope we get some more cohesive defending.

Newcastle, Burnley, Liverpool and Spurs in the next month.

Post #501185  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:46 pm 

So predictions for this year:

Liverpool, Man City, Spurs, Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea in that order

Post #501186  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
Apparently the reports that Tierney is injured for 8 weeks are not quite true. It now seems more like 2 weeks

So I suppose this report in the Metro must be wrong. proof will be in when he starts and how many games he misses. one thing is for sure he better not play for Scotland before he plays for us.

Ghttps://metro.co.uk/2019/08/08/kieran- ... -10542835/

Apparently from comments on here he should be a cross between Maldini, Roberto Carlos and Breitner so looking forward to him playing for us.

Post #501187  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:54 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Arsenal above Spurs for me. They seemed to skate under the radar of criticism but barely performed better than us last year.

Post #501188  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:06 am 

Finally, some reinforcements for the defensive side of the team.

I believe Luiz will be a marked improvement over Mustafi, and will not mess up as much. Tierney has always performed at a very low level league, whose only tough challenge is from Rangers. Hopefully Emery will bring out another level or two of him for the EPL.

Bye bye Iwobi, mixed about you, though you would have sat on the bench most times.

Post #501189  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:09 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Optimistic we will be higher than Spurs. The window is great, and Emery now has the players to work his wonders.

Post #501190  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:33 am 

Feel Iwobi leaving is quite sad.

Clearly an effort to balance the books because we couldn’t shift el Nenny and mhikitaryan. Some of the most average players we have seen. Always played with his heart.

I’d be interested in seeing a net spend calculation for the club for this window as it won’t be far off the 45 million budget that was being quoted.

Despite this being a decent window I’m still not sure if we are making enough investment to get back to the top. A twitter ITK type was suggesting we will spend the Iwobi money in January on Upmanecano or whatever his name is. Whilst I’d like to believe this is true the jury is still out a little bit for me. Just a little.

Post #501191  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:06 am 

I wish both Iwobi and Jenkinson all the best for the future and acknowledge that both of them always tried their best IMO.

As for Jenkinson you got to live the dream -70 appearances for your team - well done and I hope it goes well at Forest.

Post #501192  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:34 am 

When Bellerin returns we'll have two quality book ends at full back. Just need to get the central defense sorted.

Post #501193  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:00 am 

The additions of Luiz and Ceballos will certainly help us keep the ball better in dangerous areas. If you have the ball you can’t concede.

Pépé has been signed to help us on the counter attack in away games. Too often last year we carried barely any threat away from home and you knew if we conceded first we’d lose 1-0.

Tierney seems a good purchase at left back. Kolasinac and Monreal both have weaknesses that mean they aren’t what we need in a back 4.

Iwobi going is sad only because he’s a youth product. But he has only ever scored 3 league goals a season for us. It also really opens a pathway to first team football for Nelson, Saka and martinelli

The next aim must be to shirt the remainder of the dead wood, mkhitaryan, mustafi, elneny....and then you need to see if Özil can recapture some form. Including him in that list and you’re shifting another £700k per week, or £36m a year off the wage bill and drastically lowering the age of the squad.

Post #501194  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:54 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Arsenal above Spurs for me. They seemed to skate under the radar of criticism but barely performed better than us last year.

Hi Gaz, granty,

They've made some good signings as well. If they keep Eriksen I think they will be very decent again.

Their run to the CL final probably took its toll on their league results for a while.

Post #501195  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:56 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I was going by what Emery will pick. An at his best Özil would be in the starting 11, but I’m minded to agree with your 11. At the start of the season it wouldn’t surprise me if Willock starts

Hi Rich,

I think Willock should start and probably will alongside Xhaka. The likes of Torreira, Ceballos, Pépé and Guendouzi are perhaps still a little away from full match fitness after their summer breaks.

Post #501196  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:06 am 

socrates wrote:
Right, over to you Unai. You've been backed to the hilt, now you need to show us you whether you are the real deal or not. No excuses.

Quite right. It’s important to acknowledge how difficult it is to take over after someone who has been at the club for 20 years, and in the middle of a pretty substantial re-organization, but Emery still has a lot to prove. He has been firmly backed now, so let’s see how he performs. First thing I will look for is what he decides our starting formation and first choice eleven is. Last season there was way too much swapping, it felt like a rarity to start three games in a row with the same lineup and that surely doesn’t help players perform.

If Ceballos was a permanent transfer and we got a better central defender than Luiz it would’ve been hard not to give us full marks for the transfer window. As things stand now, it’s still not far off from perfect. On paper we’ve improved our defense, midfield and attack, we’ve added a couple of young players who looks to have huge potential, and we’ve gotten rid of some players who doesn’t have a place in the squad anymore.

The overhaul we’ve managed in just one summer is spectacular, and even more importantly I think the club has won a lot of fans over on their side again. There is genuine optimism surrounding the club now, which we haven’t seen in years and I don’t think that should be underestimated.

Post #501197  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:12 am 

Can't wait to see our new look side all fit and fully integrated. Will obviously take a while but it should be exciting times.

Post #501198  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:17 am 

Rich wrote:
Iwobi going is sad only because he’s a youth product. But he has only ever scored 3 league goals a season for us. It also really opens a pathway to first team football for Nelson, Saka and martinelli

Really have high hopes for Nelson this season, with the squad as it stands he’ll get to play. But I think a lot of Arsenal fans are overrating our teenagers. I’ve seen people suggest that Iwobi and Mkhitaryan can easily be replaced by the likes of Saka, Martinelli and Smith-Rowe and I think those are ridiculous expectations for players who have barely played any first team football at all. It’s one thing to make a few good runs and crosses in a pre-season friendly, another thing entirely to be relied upon to contribute in the Premier League grind.

Post #501199  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:20 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

Quite right. It’s important to acknowledge how difficult it is to take over after someone who has been at the club for 20 years, and in the middle of a pretty substantial re-organization, but Emery still has a lot to prove. He has been firmly backed now, so let’s see how he performs. First thing I will look for is what he decides our starting formation and first choice eleven is. Last season there was way too much swapping, it felt like a rarity to start three games in a row with the same lineup and that surely doesn’t help players perform.

If Ceballos was a permanent transfer and we got a better central defender than Luiz it would’ve been hard not to give us full marks for the transfer window. As things stand now, it’s still not far off from perfect. On paper we’ve improved our defense, midfield and attack, we’ve added a couple of young players who looks to have huge potential, and we’ve gotten rid of some players who doesn’t have a place in the squad anymore.

The overhaul we’ve managed in just one summer is spectacular, and even more importantly I think the club has won a lot of fans over on their side again. There is genuine optimism surrounding the club now, which we haven’t seen in years and I don’t think that should be underestimated.

The window has far exceeded even the most optimistic fan's expectations and I don't think anyone can now accuse the club of not showing enough ambition.

Those who participated in the WeCareDoYou campaign are claiming this forced the Kroenke's hands but I think that's bollocks. Most of the deals will have been in planning for weeks if not months.

If anything the WeCareDoYou campaigners should issue an apology.

Post #501200  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:23 am 

Very little said about spurs now having Vertonghen, Alderweireld AND Eriksen in the final 12 months of their contract. In 6 months all 3 can sign pre-contract agreements with foreign clubs and leave for free. To replace those 3 mainstays of Spurs team for eh last 5 years would take £150m in today’s market for players of equal quality

[ 571790 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12527, 12528, 12529, 12530, 12531, 12532, 12533 ... 14295  Next