Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 93 guests

Post #480481  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:18 pm 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

They can't have been very effective, I watched him at Barnet and he came back from summer training vastly over weight.

Just read those comments he made which are bizarre and would indicate he may have however wasn't he the Russian captain ? It's par for the course he's going to say something pro Russia as Putin has a habit of putting bullets in heads of those who oppose the state.

It's the only explanation I can find for his dramatic decline in form after a few months. He went from top class to bang average.

He was good in his first full season too. I wouldn't put it down to drugs, as there should have been more than just Arshavin.

An issue I have with the Russian doping scandal is that the rest of the world is pointing fingers as if everyone else is clean. There was obviously something underhand happening in Spain. You have the Nike stuff in US athletics and now British cycling is looking very dodgy. Personally, I think athletics is still riddled with it and I think rugby has issues too. Football is just too financially monstrous to be clean.

Post #480482  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:31 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Best signing must be Henry for me. Vieira, Pires, Petit, Anelka, Campbell all great, but Henry more than anyone gave us a chance to win against any team. Didn’t matter how good they were, with Henry on the pitch there was a chance he’d score a goal or two (or three) against anyone when he was on his game. Best player in the world for several years. He could’ve cost twice as much and I’d still see him as our best signing.

He was absolutely robbed of at least two Ballon d’Ors as well, just look at the top three from Henry’s best years:

2002: Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Oliver Kahn
2003: Nedved, Henry, Maldini
2004: Shevchenko, Deco, Ronaldinho
2005: Ronaldinho, Lampard, Gerrard
2006: Cannavaro, Buffon, Henry

The only one who come even close to Henry those years are Ronaldinho, with a nod to Kahn and Buffon as it’s hard to compare keepers and outfield players. Henry was the man.

100%. Ronaldinho was the only competitor and even that was dubious. Henry is a country mile the best striker Arsenal has ever had and porbably will have for a long time.

Post #480483  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:32 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The gooner seem pretty sure Ancellotti is coming this summer

http://onlinegooner.com/article.php?sec ... lig9tGnyhA

Although Kevin was also sure Wenger would leave last summer, too!

Post #480484  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:38 pm 

Wenger was great at seeing undervalued players who could play his style and overwhelm opposition in attack. The opposition caught up tactically and then he had no idea how to deal with it. That's about years 1 -10 and 10 - 20 in a nutshell for me.

Post #480485  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:41 pm 

I wanted Ancelotti after Chelsea got rid of him and think he'd improve the current squad by 20% without too much trouble.

Post #480486  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
If Allerdyce is desperate for Theo we should squeeze the money from them. Everton have lots of money, time for us to be a bit more ruthless. £20m isn't enough. Liverpool want £30m for Sturridge

Eff Fat Sam. The guy is a brutish man who has some deep rooted hatred for Wenger. its personal with him.

Post #480487  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:22 pm 

Alexis Sanchez: Arsenal target Bordeaux's Malcom as they prepare to sell Chileanhttp://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42657272

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG9a9xCl0mM

Post #480488  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:08 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
If Allerdyce is desperate for Theo we should squeeze the money from them. Everton have lots of money, time for us to be a bit more ruthless. £20m isn't enough. Liverpool want £30m for Sturridge

Eff Fat Sam. The guy is a brutish man who has some deep rooted hatred for Wenger. its personal with him.

:laughing7:

Post #480489  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Wanyama is a brick outhouse, but can barely pass more than 15 yards and is a totally different player, who without Dembele or Ericsson looks ordinary as hell. Kante? Very good at certain things, but has only won 1 game against Arsenal since coming to England, and has generally been outmanouvered by our midfield. Would probably be a very good partner for Xhaka. Xhaka is defensively suspect and not mobile. Kante is mobile, defensively great but has a very limited passing range.

Xhaka may not be Petit 2.0 as he was advertised, but he's a lot better than people realise. There is a reason Bayern were looking at him before Vidal became available.

I wouldn't say Kante has limited passing. Yes wanyama is a destroyer but was always good againest us when playing for saints but I'd still prefer him to Xhaka.

The reason why I would be saying Xhaka is mainly due to the fee and importance of the role on our backbone. I'm not saying he's our worst ever player just signing. If we'd spent 15-18 million on him I wouldn't consider him Wengers biggest mistake in the market at all as we would be able to get most of that back when selling him but it's double that which should ensure we are getting proven quality. He's better than El Nenny for example but was 25 million pounds more expensive, for that 25 million you get some slightly better passing and a little more aggression and that's it.

We really needed him to be good and he's just been largely a liability. It really hasn't been a good piece of business and Wengers inability to restructure our midfield has been a major problem in recent seasons

Without getting into a drawn out one here, I totally disagree with what you say here to the degree that would suggest we have fundamentally different understandings of the game...

Post #480490  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:28 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Interesting who the forum thinks is wengers worst ever signing?

Has to be Jeffers for me. Arshavin is a good shout, but he at least had a good first year or so before he fell off a cliff. Jeffers was pretty expensive at the time, and made absolutely no positive contribution at all. Baptista is a candidate based on expectations, but as it was only a year-long loan it didn’t really matter all that much. Stepanovs has to be mentioned for sheer uselessness as a footballer.

Reyes would be another one for me – like Arshavin he had a great first year or so but then completely fell off. Considering transfer fee, expectations etc he’s definitely up there, and I think him not panning out really hurt us. Watched him sometimes for Atletico and later for Sevilla and he could still completely take over a game when he wanted to (which was usually once or twice per season). Infuriating player.

We got most of our money back on Reyes though, and his late contribution was vital for going undefeated in 2004, so for that reason, he'll always be worth it for me, despite not panning out. He also is our 3rd best number of assists in a season I think.

Post #480491  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:30 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Sanchez and Walcott out with Malcom (not Malcolm!) and Lemar in would be a great transfer window for me. Would be kind of fun to see Sanchez go to United and still not win any big titles (they’re going nowhere with Mourinho) but I hope we do not want Mkhitaryan in an exchange deal. Just the money will do.

If we somehow got Mkhitaryan and any cash, I'd bite as I think he'd be twice the player under Wenger. Not sure he'd take the necessary pay cut though, having been pushed by his agent into turning us down for Utd in the first place.

Post #480492  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Other bad signings Eboue and Denilsen. Both didn't financially didn't cost much but denilsen played about 100 times for arsenal and Eboue 132 so it took Wenger and awfully long time to realise those 2 players were not up to scratch to the detriment of our team.

To be fair, Eboue was excellent in his first season when Wenger deigned to allow Keown and Bould do defensive coaching (and lest we forget, a lovely dive to win the free-kick from which Sol scored in the Champion's League final before that *%^@ linesman screwed us for Barca's equaliser - as Almunia did for their winner!).

Denilson? Very good as an occasional squad player, but when he stepped up to the gig full time, he wasn't up to it.

Both would have been excellent signings if relied on rather less than they were.

Post #480493  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:16 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Here's my New Year wish list ......... For once I'm more eager to see people f*** off than us make new signings because any new signing would soon be programmed to play the same insipid Wengerball .

Have a major clean out Walcott , Sanchez , Bellerin , Özil , Coquelin , Čech , Ospina , Mertesacker , Cazorla , Wilshere

Promote the kids have a mediocre season , finish eighth ...Wenger f****s off ...... doesn't hang on as a scout , manager , director , advisor , tea boy ....... nothing ......and the new season we get a new manager , who makes his own signings , adopts much more direct style , learn to defend cohesively and I can get back to liking Arsenal Football Club .

If Walcott goes I'll be drunk for a week .

So Pete, it'll be a normal week for you if Walcott goes...

Post #480494  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:46 pm 

Talking about duff signings. What about that player from the German fifth division? What the hell was that about?

Post #480495  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 pm 

Rich wrote:

I wouldn't be playing high stakes Texas Hold Em on this ocassion ...we save 7.2 million a year on his wages .

The opportunity to see the useless little pr*** warming up in someone elses colours is too good to blow .

He should be donating half his wages to charity every week the amount of effort he puts in or gaoled for robbery .

Post #480496  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Wenger was great at seeing undervalued players who could play his style and overwhelm opposition in attack. The opposition caught up tactically and then he had no idea how to deal with it. That's about years 1 -10 and 10 - 20 in a nutshell for me.

We went from a team of talented Titans ......Bergkamp , Henry , Pires , Edu , Campbell , Lehmann , Vieira , Petit , Senderos all over six feet to a team of f***&^***f midgets .

The opposition didn't catch up ...Wenger lost the plot

Post #480497  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 pm 

John wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
If Walcott goes I'll be drunk for a week .

So Pete, it'll be a normal week for you if Walcott goes...

:laughing7: I might paint the picture of the hard arse no nonsense drunk of the month Johnny Boy but the rum vodka etc doesn't feature much these days ...stinking hot day three or four beers is good .

How's the turnip harvest this year ... didn't you have a few problems with striped flea beetle a while back .

Post #480498  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:53 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Rich wrote:

I wouldn't be playing high stakes Texas Hold Em on this ocassion ...we save 7.2 million a year on his wages .

You found the abacus then?

Agree wholeheartedly with your comment - he's a cheat for taking those wages. In any other business he'd have been performance managed out a long time ago. And as for those empty platitudes (is that the right word) to the press, the club should have banned him from speaking.

Post #480499  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:01 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Eff Fat Sam. The guy is a brutish man who has some deep rooted hatred for Wenger.

and what's so wrong with that .... most of this forum hate Wenger .

I'd rather sit down for a chin wag with Big Sam than Arsene any day of the week .

Post #480500  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 pm 

john1 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly with your comment - he's a cheat for taking those wages. In any other business he'd have been performance managed out a long time ago. And as for those empty platitudes (is that the right word) to the press, the club should have banned him from speaking.

True John .... I worked for dude once , making some large farm gates , hand rails etc ... made a complete pigs ear of the job took four days to eventually get everything ship shape ........... I said pay me for two .

I struggle to see how someone can happily accept huge wages for doing so little .

You retired yet ...?

Post #480501  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:57 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

True John .... I worked for dude once , making some large farm gates , hand rails etc ... made a complete pigs ear of the job took four days to eventually get everything ship shape ........... I said pay me for two .

I struggle to see how someone can happily accept huge wages for doing so little .

You retired yet ...?

Not just yet - but down to months now. 11 months and 20 days to be exact! :laughing7:

Post #480502  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:07 pm 

Wenger confirms that Alexis will go if they can find a replacement;that he would have sold him earlier if a replacement could be found; that he would do things the same again.
https://www.arsenal.com/news/wenger-giv ... 50568C0DF1

Post #480503  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:07 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Talking about duff signings. What about that player from the German fifth division? What the hell was that about?

Stefan malz and alberto Mendez. 2 bizarre signings. Amaury bischoff too

Post #480504  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:15 pm 

The man doesn't seem to see the world burning around him. We are literally sat around waiting for 2019 to come

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ssion=true

Post #480505  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The man doesn't seem to see the world burning around him. We are literally sat around waiting for 2019 to come

“Why should I change”

Says it all

Post #480506  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Stefan malz and alberto Mendez. 2 bizarre signings. Amaury bischoff too

Kim kaalstrom

Wenger has nearly always made do with a hopeful punt who brings no pressure to be a success.

Post #480507  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Alberto Mendez! I remember an interesting story about him. Apparently he was brilliant in training - technically one of the better players - but used to get so nervous about games he always played within himself.

Post #480508  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:54 am 

Warrior, I know this is asking a lot but is there any way you can put up a countdown clock to the end of Wengers current contract. It will have to be in GMT and not Aust time. If its not possible I understand.

Post #480509  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:41 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Warrior, I know this is asking a lot but is there any way you can put up a countdown clock to the end of Wengers current contract. It will have to be in GMT and not Aust time. If its not possible I understand.

haha, good one. After it is set up, link it to his mobile phone.

Post #480510  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

haha, good one. After it is set up, link it to his mobile phone.

All the latest stories suggest he is going nowhere so a phone reminder for him would be very helpful indeed.

Post #480511  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:30 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

“Why should I change”

Says it all

“So in every single decision I make what is right for the club. Do I stay for one year or ten years it is exactly the same"

He simply doesn't see it. Totally delusional, he thinks it's is his club and he owns Arsenal. He doesn't care about the damage being done.

Post #480512  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:37 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

I'm not as convinced as you appear to be that he will go in 2019. Kroenke isn't bothered about trophies. In my view, he's made that clear. If they happen - great it's a bonus, but that's it.

He presumably cares far more about the Premier League gravy train and under Wenger, Arsenal surely won't be relegated. So the TV money will still come rolling in with steady old Arsene at the helm. I accept winning trophies is crucial for maximising profits via increasing the world wide fan base, expanding merchandising and sponsorship revenues, as well as inflating demand for tickets. But Stan may think such increases aren't nearly as important as staying in the Premier League, and Arsene with his flat track bullies can be relied on for that.

Post #480513  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I'm not as convinced as you appear to be that he will go in 2019. Kroenke isn't bothered about trophies. In my view, he's made that clear. If they happen - great it's a bonus, but that's it.

He presumably cares far more about the Premier League gravy train, and under Wenger Arsenal surely won't be relegated? So the TV money will still come rolling in with steady old Arsene at the helm. I accept winning trophies is crucial for maximising profits via increasing the world wide fan base, expanding merchandising and sponsorship revenues, as well as inflating demand for tickets. But Stan nay think such increases aren't nearly as important as staying in the Premier League, and Arsene with his flat track bullies can be relied on for that..

I have no doubt that Stan realises that winning umpteen trophies and being the best team in the land is going to increase profits, but I think he knows it will take an awful lot of money, sustained big spending, to reach that point - which isn’t even guaranteed after he’s spent the money. As you say, far easier to take the low risk approach of just staying 6th and taking the guaranteed profits rather than risk chasing more

Post #480514  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 am 

Tomorrow could be City’s biggest test for going the season unbeaten. There are more consistent teams, as the table proves, but at their best Liverpool are better than all but City in my opinion.

Putting aside bias, if city go unbeaten how would that rank against our unbeaten season? Looking at just the results it could be deemed to be better because the league has more really good teams whereas we had a strong Man U, and emerging Chelsea under abramovic and also rans. But in the wider context of what City have spent vs how much we put that squad together for there is only one winner. The quality of the football would be hard to separate

Post #480515  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:05 am 

Rich wrote:
Tomorrow could be City’s biggest test for going the season unbeaten. There are more consistent teams, as the table proves, but at their best Liverpool are better than all but City in my opinion.

Putting aside bias, if city go unbeaten how would that rank against our unbeaten season? Looking at just the results it could be deemed to be better because the league has more really good teams whereas we had a strong Man U, and emerging Chelsea under abramovic and also rans. But in the wider context of what City have spent vs how much we put that squad together for there is only one winner. The quality of the football would be hard to separate

For the reasons you give, I suspect most Arsenal fans would rate our one more highly. But if City drop fewer points in what, as you say, is probably now a harder league (in the context of a bigger number of better sides), I'd expect most people would rate City's more highly.

As time moves on I think financial doping will be seen as less of a negative about the success of clubs.

Post #480516  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:20 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

He presumably cares far more about the Premier League gravy train and under Wenger, Arsenal surely won't be relegated. So the TV money will still come rolling in with steady old Arsene at the helm. I accept winning trophies is crucial for maximising profits via increasing the world wide fan base, expanding merchandising and sponsorship revenues, as well as inflating demand for tickets. But Stan may think such increases aren't nearly as important as staying in the Premier League, and Arsene with his flat track bullies can be relied on for that.

I have to say I am not sure he will go but I want to grab onto any shred of hope that I have left. If you told me tomorrow that he had another 6/8 years left at the club I think I would just stop watching.

I am sure Wenger will be already planting the seed at board level that with so many players leaving only stability at manager level can keep the club going. It might explain why he has let the contracts run down on so many players. I know that sounds really unlikely but with some of his current ravings I rule nothing out.

Stan Kroenke is an old man. He might see the same challenges he faces from his own son. Faced with being succeeded him and Wenger might be making the last stand.

Post #480517  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:50 am 

Niall wrote:
Ljungberg also. Watched him vs England and signed him immediately for £3m. That was Wenger at his best too, taking an ingenious punt. The result, one of the best goalscoring widemen in the era with important goals and assists |(one in particular) that will live in the memory banks forever.

Overmars and Petit in '97 also have to be up there despite the fact their spells were relatively short.

Not wrong there Niall ... did he score on his debut v Man U .
Says a lot for our squad today Ramsay would be a poor man's Ljungberg .

That goal in the Cup Final ... most these days would be content to with a theatrical collapse and win a free kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_PhjPCeIzs

Post #480518  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:05 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Stan Kroenke is an old man.

Steady on he's only 70 that's not old .

We gave the Pakistanis a tune up in the third one dayer today , chasing our score of 251 ; at one stage they were 7 for 3 :laughing7: and after eleven overs they'd scored eleven runs .

They were eventually all out for 74 .

Post #480519  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:27 am 

kiwipete wrote:

Ljungberg in todays Arsenal would look terrible, and Ramsey supplied by Bergkamp, Henry and Pires would be scoring for fun. It's a very unfair comparison considering the difference in quality between Arsenal now and then.

Post #480520  Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:45 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Niall wrote:
Ljungberg also. Watched him vs England and signed him immediately for £3m. That was Wenger at his best too, taking an ingenious punt. The result, one of the best goalscoring widemen in the era with important goals and assists |(one in particular) that will live in the memory banks forever.

Overmars and Petit in '97 also have to be up there despite the fact their spells were relatively short.

That goal in the Cup Final ... most these days would be content to with a theatrical collapse and win a free kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_PhjPCeIzs

I also saw the game against Sweden. As far as I'm concerned he never played that well again. It was a superb performance and as a result, by comparison, I always felt a little underwhelmed by his displays in an Arsenal shirt.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12010, 12011, 12012, 12013, 12014, 12015, 12016 ... 14269  Next