Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 105 guests

Post #509921  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:04 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Rich wrote:
Smith-Rowe impressing for Huddersfield again tonight. 2 assists from the No. 10 position. Set up a goal for Chris Willock who has found his way to Huddersfield after his move to Benfica from us

The Huddersfield fans seem pleased. Here are a few comments from one of their forums:

'Chuffed to bits with the result but a bit sad that I'll only see Emile Smith Rowe pull a Town shirt on a maximum of 11 more times. What a player.'

'Emile Smith Rowe will play for England. Only Chilwell comes close in terms of young talents we've had on loan. The kid is absolute quality.'

'He's got the X factor. The way he glides with the ball and moves away from groups of players is staggering. More surprisingly, given his Arsenal roots, is the shift he puts in.'

Hi mc.

Great to see him doing well on loan.

Hopefully, we will see him do a Saka next year and get some decent game time at Arsenal.

We definitely need a few more players who can beat a man or two and create space for others.

Post #509922  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:25 am 

Watching the top german teams in action this last couple of weeks has been a real eye opener.

I don't think we have a single player who would get in the Bayern side. That shows how far standards have fallen or conversely how far standards of other teams has risen.

Post #509923  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:45 am 

socrates wrote:
Watching the top german teams in action this last couple of weeks has been a real eye opener.

I don't think we have a single player who would get in the Bayern side. That shows how far standards have fallen or conversely how far standards of other teams has risen.

Serve Gnabry continues to remind us that he is one who got away. How we could use someone like him right now.

Post #509924  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:49 am 

socrates wrote:

Morning Soc, I’m confused....I thought Gazidis promised that we’d be up there with Bayern.

In all seriousness though, Bayern look absolute top quality. It’s where I’d be putting my money to win the whole thing

Post #509925  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:14 am 

socrates wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
FFS - Wenger telling others about how they should run their games against Bayern.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/26/arsene-w ... wsnow-feed

If we had regularly beaten Bayern he can give advice.

Hi Gaz,

Incredible comments really considering the comprehensive beatings that Bayern have dished out to us.

We regularly lost the midfield battle against all manner of opposition let alone CL teams.

I just shook my head. Talking about reinventing history.

Post #509926  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:41 pm 

socrates wrote:

I think most German teams are bang average. Bayern excepted I'd fancy us to beat any Budesliga team.

Post #509927  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:50 pm 

Had Wenger not loaned him out and let him play first team we might have been able to keep him. He got first team at Bremen and then Bayern.
Fabregas got to start as a teen, and Gnabry the few times I saw him, lacked very little, it was obvious he was quality.

Post #509928  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:03 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Had Wenger not loaned him out and let him play first team we might have been able to keep him. He got first team at Bremen and then Bayern.
Fabregas got to start as a teen, and Gnabry the few times I saw him, lacked very little, it was obvious he was quality.

Shades of Nketiah here. Gnabry was loaned to West Brom and not deemed good enough to get playing time. So just like Nketiah at Leeds Utd this season.

Post #509929  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:04 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

I think most German teams are bang average. Bayern excepted I'd fancy us to beat any Budesliga team.

I think we’d lose a ding dong ‘we score, you score’ game against Dortmund. And RB Leipzig handled higher in the table than us Spurs pretty easily.

Post #509930  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:06 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Rich wrote:
Smith-Rowe impressing for Huddersfield again tonight. 2 assists from the No. 10 position. Set up a goal for Chris Willock who has found his way to Huddersfield after his move to Benfica from us

The Huddersfield fans seem pleased. Here are a few comments from one of their forums:

'Chuffed to bits with the result but a bit sad that I'll only see Emile Smith Rowe pull a Town shirt on a maximum of 11 more times. What a player.'

'Emile Smith Rowe will play for England. Only Chilwell comes close in terms of young talents we've had on loan. The kid is absolute quality.'

'He's got the X factor. The way he glides with the ball and moves away from groups of players is staggering. More surprisingly, given his Arsenal roots, is the shift he puts in.'

Cheeky shites!! :laughing7:

Post #509931  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:24 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

Serve Gnabry continues to remind us that he is one who got away. How we could use someone like him right now.

Gnabry always seemed to be running for bus he couldn't catch at Arsenal. He'd play a blinder and his potential was obvious but then he'd get injured and we were back to square one. I think he was destined to go back to Germany whatever happened. Good luck to him. Whatever mistakes (if any) were made with him let's hope the club ensure they don't repeat them with Saka. Get the lad signed up.

Post #509932  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:26 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Gaz,

Incredible comments really considering the comprehensive beatings that Bayern have dished out to us.

We regularly lost the midfield battle against all manner of opposition let alone CL teams.

Seriously the more Wenger speaks, the less I listen. Garbage.

Post #509933  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:28 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

With respect Gunfire I'd say most teams in the Premier League are bang average too. Including us, at this point, although the signs of improvement under MA are there.

Post #509934  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:58 pm 

tomc wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Gnabry always seemed to be running for bus he couldn't catch at Arsenal. He'd play a blinder and his potential was obvious but then he'd get injured and we were back to square one. I think he was destined to go back to Germany whatever happened. Good luck to him. Whatever mistakes (if any) were made with him let's hope the club ensure they don't repeat them with Saka. Get the lad signed up.

Just been reminding myself about the details of his leaving here:

https://www.skysports.com/share/11825357

Interesting read.

Post #509935  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:45 pm 

tomc wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

With respect Gunfire I'd say most teams in the Premier League are bang average too. Including us, at this point, although the signs of improvement under MA are there.

That's about it. Leipzig and Dortmund could beat us but any team lower we'd beat. The Bundesliga just isn't that good.

Post #509936  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:47 pm 

In theory with more money in the league top to bottom and bottom half of the table sides breaking club records for transfers, that the quality has gotten better. Far, far more foreign players than when I first started watching. Maybe the league is average, but logic dictates there is more skilled players in the league and the level of play is better. Last season, possibly for the first time ever, I don't know, just guessing, where both European competitions had an all EPL final. Hmm...who knows.

Post #509937  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:40 pm 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-ars ... 03138.html
Report: Arsenal to let Lacazette leave for a Champions League club

Post #509938  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:38 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

He looks ace.

Post #509939  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:06 pm 

tomc wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Seriously the more Wenger speaks, the less I listen. Garbage.

I thought Wenger had said something really controversial... he was just stating the obvious.

‘What has he [Lampard] learned… but he knew already, because you don’t lose five home games if your team is superior to every other team,’ Wenger told beIN Sports.

‘But at that level, to give possession away you’re punished at some stage because they make you run too much, and you cannot survive for 90 minutes.

‘In the Champions League, if you lost the midfield you’re in trouble, it’s rule number one.

‘Because you play against good teams, if they can feed the strikers you, at some stage, will pay for it.

‘And we’ve all gone through that but when the team is really superior that’s what happens.’

Post #509940  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:09 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-arsenal-let-lacazette-leave-142803138.html

I think we can afford to lose him. Hope we get good money and reinvest in midfield and defence.

Post #509941  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:00 pm 

Mustafi should go before Lacazette does. Not that both go, but I'm not confident in the current Mustafi form. I think all it should be seen as is to make it easier to sell him in the summer and not have to beg or give him away. I'm not buying he has some how been coached into a solid defender.

Lacazette and Aubameyang are good friends and Lacazette going will make Aubameyang more willing to leave. Still, I agree we can afford to get rid of Lacazette. That said, I wonder if things change if we get into the Cl next season?

Post #509942  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:04 pm 

My (realistic) wish list for the rest of the season.

1. Liverpool loses a league match.
2. We win the FA cup / Europa double.
3. If we get knocked out of the FA cup before the final, then Liverpool wins it on the way to a treble.
4 Sheffield United gets into either the CL or Europa. I like seeing things shaken up a bit.
5. Leicester finish 2nd.
6. We can some whow catch Tottenham or Man Utd....preferably the former.
7. We don't lose another league match this season .
8. Bernie Sanders wins the nomination.

Post #509943  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:06 am 

Goonie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-arsenal-let-lacazette-leave-142803138.html

I think we can afford to lose him. Hope we get good money and reinvest in midfield and defence.

Lacazette issues stark response to reports Arsenal exit clause exists

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/alexandre ... use-exists

Post #509944  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:14 am 

I read stories that we have decided to activate our purchase option on Pablo Mari even though he is yet to start a game for us.

Seems a bit odd really, wouldn't you wait and see how he performs in matches before committing to buy him, however good he has looked in training?

Post #509945  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:31 pm 

I've managed to track down the hiding place of an old forumite.

Attachments:

Post #509946  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:06 pm 

John wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

He looks ace.

Greetings John. It's good to see you back. I though you had been injured in a Hurling accident or something like that.

Post #509947  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:14 pm 

Rich wrote:
richie wrote:
I think there's a touch of jealousy re Liverpool. Of course they have had some luck but to win 26 out of 27 games is a remarkable achievement whatever spin you put on it. They have a points tally that have won leagues and it's only February. Once they have won the title then the next thing is to do is remain unbeaten and possibly win all their remaining games. It may be that sub consciously they take their foot of the gas and slip up. They need four more wins to guarantee the prize. Could be fewer if City drop points and that will leave seven games to negotiate to remain unbeaten. I don't think they will win every game here on in but can see them going unbeaten. We have the opportunity to spoil things if they come to our place unbeaten. The pressure on them will be cranked up once they have secured the title and if still unbeaten.

They are fantastic and will be worthy champions and likely with an unbeaten season and record points tally but that doesn't mean that I see them as the best prem side ever.
For example, In City's 17/18 title season they won 13 games by 3 clear goals. Liverpool only have 6 so far. Liverpool have 13 games won by only a single goal. City won 10 games by a single goal all season.
City scored 5 or more on 6 occasions, Liverpool only have once so far.
I just see that City team of 17/18 as more dominant in individual games than this Liverpool team.

Also I think the quality of the league is particularly low this season. Of the traditional big 6:
City having their worst season for 4 seasons
Chelsea having a poor season and had a transfer ban and rookie manager
Man U perhaps just steadying a long period of decline and an unproven manager
Spurs with their worst season for 4 years, sacked their manager
and we all know this is Arsenal's worst season for 30 odd years
Teams like Leicester, wolves, sheff utd all having good seasons but their points tallies wouldnt be much to shout about if the big 6 had pulled their finger out. 3 seasons ago we got 5th on 75 points, the season before we had 4 fewer points but finished 2nd. I see this season with a lot of similarities to that Leicester title winning season - a huge lack of quality in the rest of the league.

I think you have a good point about drop off in quality from Liverpool to City, and then from City to the rest, means it is easier to go unbeaten than it was in years when there was a strong top 4 or 6. On the other hand, there is a fair amount of depth and a relatively short tail in the league. Unbeaten is one thing, winning every game bar the one is astounding.

Post #509948  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:17 pm 

warrior wrote:
There are still a couple of people who are having trouble staying logged in to the forum.

When the PHP Sessions table crashed, it created a problem with some users 'cookies'.
If you delete the board cookies from your browser then relog back in, it should be ok.

Also, ensure you are logging in via this link : index.php
as this link is the secure SSL one.

The 'sessions table' keeps track of who is logged in and whatnot and when it crashed, it lost track of things.

You deserve 5 Eboues* for sorting this out. Thanks mate!
(can't seem to find them )

Post #509949  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:24 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:

One of my favourite forummers. His battles with chocolate were old kinds of everything.

Post #509950  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:25 pm 

Decaf wrote:
John wrote:
He looks ace.

Greetings John. It's good to see you back. I though you had been injured in a Hurling accident or something like that.

Not me, never.

Post #509951  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:56 pm 

John wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Not me, never.

I'm glad. I watched a bit of it on the telly when I was last in Ireland and it looks rather hair-raising, even to the spectators. Not to mention rather peculiar! :laughing7:

Post #509952  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:01 pm 

John wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

One of my favourite forummers. His battles with chocolate were old kinds of everything.

He was the master chocalatier.

Post #509953  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:10 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Mustafi should go before Lacazette does. Not that both go, but I'm not confident in the current Mustafi form. I think all it should be seen as is to make it easier to sell him in the summer and not have to beg or give him away. I'm not buying he has some how been coached into a solid defender.

Lacazette and Aubameyang are good friends and Lacazette going will make Aubameyang more willing to leave. Still, I agree we can afford to get rid of Lacazette. That said, I wonder if things change if we get into the Cl next season?

I get the sense that there won't be any major 'outs'. Things are definitely looking up.

Post #509954  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:38 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
My (realistic) wish list for the rest of the season.

1. Liverpool loses a league match.
2. We win the FA cup / Europa double.
3. If we get knocked out of the FA cup before the final, then Liverpool wins it on the way to a treble.
4 Sheffield United gets into either the CL or Europa. I like seeing things shaken up a bit.
5. Leicester finish 2nd.
6. We can some whow catch Tottenham or Man Utd....preferably the former.
7. We don't lose another league match this season .
8. Bernie Sanders wins the nomination.

Surely your number 2 should be number 1.
Why would you want Liverpool to do the treble? I always cheer on every minnow in the fa cup and every Non English team in the champions league.
If we won the fa cup and europa league double I wouldn’t be that bothered what we did in the league!

Post #509955  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:18 pm 

Slow start to the game, I'd like to see us up the intensity and get after them.

Post #509956  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:24 pm 

How on earth is that not a red card!??

Pépé is on the edge of the box, past the last defenders and his next action would be a free strike at a GK 1v1 from about the penalty spot. How does the ref decide that is not a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Just awful from the ref, clearly doesn't want to make such a big decision so early in the game, utterly pathetic

Post #509957  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:35 pm 

Half an hour in and the Greeks will be the happier so far, still well in the tie. Our passing has been sloppy, especially in the final third.

Post #509958  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:51 pm 

Poor first half- too slow, no urgency. Carry on like that and the Greeks will get more and more encouragement.

Post #509959  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:52 pm 

One shot by us in the half - and that was off target. We seemed to get slower and slower as the half went on.

Hopefully the end will justify the means.

Post #509960  Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:01 pm 

A lack of any real quality. The build-up is too slow.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12746, 12747, 12748, 12749, 12750, 12751, 12752 ... 14269  Next