Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dec, warrior and 183 guests

Post #501201  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:24 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Iwobi going is sad only because he’s a youth product. But he has only ever scored 3 league goals a season for us. It also really opens a pathway to first team football for Nelson, Saka and martinelli

Really have high hopes for Nelson this season, with the squad as it stands he’ll get to play. But I think a lot of Arsenal fans are overrating our teenagers. I’ve seen people suggest that Iwobi and Mkhitaryan can easily be replaced by the likes of Saka, Martinelli and Smith-Rowe and I think those are ridiculous expectations for players who have barely played any first team football at all. It’s one thing to make a few good runs and crosses in a pre-season friendly, another thing entirely to be relied upon to contribute in the Premier League grind.

It is easy to get carried away with the kids, as I know from past experiences with the likes of Miyaichi and Wellington.

Willock looks ready, Nelson will probably get some minutes here and there as a back-up but I'm not sure Martinelli will get much of a look-in this season barring perhaps some minutes in the Europa League or cups.

Post #501202  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:29 am 

socrates wrote:
Those who participated in the WeCareDoYou campaign are claiming this forced the Kroenke's hands but I think that's bollocks. Most of the deals will have been in planning for weeks if not months.

Agree completely. I don't have a problem with the fans venting their frustration, but thought both the timing and the message was weird. To complain about how nothing changes when we're right in the middle of the biggest re-organization the club has seen in decades just comes off as strange to me, and the notion that they are responsible for the club signing Pépé is laughable actually.

Post #501203  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:42 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Iwobi going is sad only because he’s a youth product. But he has only ever scored 3 league goals a season for us. It also really opens a pathway to first team football for Nelson, Saka and martinelli

Really have high hopes for Nelson this season, with the squad as it stands he’ll get to play. But I think a lot of Arsenal fans are overrating our teenagers. I’ve seen people suggest that Iwobi and Mkhitaryan can easily be replaced by the likes of Saka, Martinelli and Smith-Rowe and I think those are ridiculous expectations for players who have barely played any first team football at all. It’s one thing to make a few good runs and crosses in a pre-season friendly, another thing entirely to be relied upon to contribute in the Premier League grind.

Hi Haz, yes it is definitely easy to get too excited by young players.
My slight worry for Nelson is he’s primary position is the same as Pépé. I think if Nelson was a left winger he might get more of a chance especially given Iwobi has gone.
My hope for the players like Nelson, Saka and Martinelli is although they are young I would feel a bit more excited about them coming off the bench for the last 15 minutes of a game we desperately need a goal in as opposed to Mkhitaryan. Mkhi is consistently average for us, those young players are more likely to have a 3/10 impact sub game or a 9/10 impact sub game. That is the sort of risk I’d rather take if we’re chasing a game than bringing on a 6/10 Mkhi

Post #501204  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:57 am 

Rich wrote:
Mkhi is consistently average for us, those young players are more likely to have a 3/10 impact sub game or a 9/10 impact sub game. That is the sort of risk I’d rather take if we’re chasing a game than bringing on a 6/10 Mkhi

I think even this is too much to ask of them at this point, and I think Mkhitaryan is a lot better than he's given credit for. Very inconsistent, and can waste attacks by missing very simple passes at times, but he creates a lot of chances. 6 goals and 4 assists in 19 starts is decent return for what is essentially a squad player. To be honest, I think his biggest problem is his wage.

Post #501205  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:01 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Feel Iwobi leaving is quite sad.

Clearly an effort to balance the books because we couldn’t shift el Nenny and mhikitaryan. Some of the most average players we have seen. Always played with his heart.

I’d be interested in seeing a net spend calculation for the club for this window as it won’t be far off the 45 million budget that was being quoted.

Despite this being a decent window I’m still not sure if we are making enough investment to get back to the top. A twitter ITK type was suggesting we will spend the Iwobi money in January on Upmanecano or whatever his name is. Whilst I’d like to believe this is true the jury is still out a little bit for me. Just a little.

Here you go, TG. 2nd highest net spend in the league behind the bizarre carry-on at Villa.

Attachments:

Post #501206  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:04 am 

socrates wrote:
Can't wait to see our new look side all fit and fully integrated. Will obviously take a while but it should be exciting times.

Me too, but it don't expect them to gel immediately. We will have a couple hiccup matches before it happens. We are still a work in progress.

Post #501207  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:06 am 

It turned out to be a spectacular transfer window for us. Some contrast to how most of us felt at the end of last season. For me, the biggest risk is Pépé. He is instantly the star of the team and might need time to find his feet. I'm very happy with Luiz. Yes he makes silly errors and can be lazy-minded but he is exceptionally talented and is a big big personality - something we lack. As it happens, I suspect Tierney will end up being the best transfer of the summer for us.

Post #501208  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:00 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Feel Iwobi leaving is quite sad.

Clearly an effort to balance the books because we couldn’t shift el Nenny and mhikitaryan. Some of the most average players we have seen. Always played with his heart.

I’d be interested in seeing a net spend calculation for the club for this window as it won’t be far off the 45 million budget that was being quoted.

Despite this being a decent window I’m still not sure if we are making enough investment to get back to the top. A twitter ITK type was suggesting we will spend the Iwobi money in January on Upmanecano or whatever his name is. Whilst I’d like to believe this is true the jury is still out a little bit for me. Just a little.

Here you go, TG. 2nd highest net spend in the league behind the bizarre carry-on at Villa.

How is Spurs only £70 odd million, ndombele was £55-60m, lo Celso was meant to be £55-60m and the lad from Leeds for £10-12m

Post #501209  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:02 am 

I find it strange that so many journalists are lining up to say that they are really unsure of Luiz signing for us. They note that it is a good price but also that he is mistake ridden and will cost us.
The reason it is strange is when I read season reviews of Chelsea last year or even season previews of Chelsea this year I didn’t read a peep about Luiz being a liability in chelsea’s Defence and how they were going to struggle because they couldn’t sign anyone to replace him

Post #501210  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:14 am 

Well that was all pretty positive, wasn't it?

Shame about Iwobi. It's always sad to see a home-grown player leave but realistically, we can't be too critical of a £35m price-tag given that he never really kicked on they way we all hoped. That's good business.

If I'm being critical, I'd say we haven't addressed the need for defensive shielding in midfield. I know we have Torreira but after a bright start, he disappointed. He finished the season like a little lost schoolboy.

Luiz is better than we've got. Sure he makes mistakes but so do all the rest. He still improves us and he has character. I'm really looking forward to liking him.

I don't know too much about the others so I'll reserve judgement, but I am really optimistic. We're turning into Emery's team with Emery's players and I'm really looking forward to seeing us play the Emery way. I really think he has a plan.

Lastly, there's still plenty of time to offload some deadwood. Nobody in the PL was ever going to take Elneny, Mkhitaryan or Mustafi but there may still be realistic options abroad. And Özil to DC United??? I can only hope.

Post #501211  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:24 am 

DHD wrote:

If I'm being critical, I'd say we haven't addressed the need for defensive shielding in midfield. I know we have Torreira but after a bright start, he disappointed. He finished the season like a little lost schoolboy..

Luiz could be deployed there. Arguably he is a better defensive midfielder than CB.

Post #501212  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:38 am 

Rich wrote:
dec wrote:

How is Spurs only £70 odd million, ndombele was £55-60m, lo Celso was meant to be £55-60m and the lad from Leeds for £10-12m

That table is on Sky sports. Looks like they never updated it for the Lo Celso signing.

Post #501213  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:10 am 

Gunfire wrote:
DHD wrote:

If I'm being critical, I'd say we haven't addressed the need for defensive shielding in midfield. I know we have Torreira but after a bright start, he disappointed. He finished the season like a little lost schoolboy..

Arguably he is a better defensive midfielder than CB.

That would be arguable Gunfire. From my recollection, Luiz only played a few games as a DM so the evidence would be pretty thin.

There'd probably be more evidence for using Chambers in that role.

Post #501214  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:23 am 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

That table is on Sky sports. Looks like they never updated it for the Lo Celso signing.

Wasn't Lo Celso a loan with an option to buy next year?

Post #501215  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:38 am 

socrates wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Arsenal above Spurs for me. They seemed to skate under the radar of criticism but barely performed better than us last year.

Hi Gaz, granty,

They've made some good signings as well. If they keep Eriksen I think they will be very decent again.

Their run to the CL final probably took its toll on their league results for a while.

Will be interesting if they can maintain the intensity from the last few seasons. they have generally been reasonably stable in squad players and you start to wonder if in fact they can maintain it for another year and still believe their manager, not having won any trophies.

Post #501216  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:58 am 

According to this article a number of players are in doubt for the Newcastle game including Lacazette (he may still be fit), Smith-Rowe and Pépé. Some injuries or not ready to play.
https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... e-16727138

No mention is made of Tierney so I assume he must be available to play. I looked on the official site as well and he is not mentioned while all the others are.

Post #501217  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:09 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
According to this article a number of players are in doubt for the Newcastle game including Lacazette (he may still be fit), Smith-Rowe and Pépé. Some injuries or not ready to play.
https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... e-16727138

No mention is made of Tierney so I assume he must be available to play. I looked on the official site as well and he is not mentioned while all the others are.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/team-news-lacazette-pepe-bellerin-holding

This is probably as reliable as anything Gaz - not that it's particularly helpful.

As I understand things, Tierney is some weeks away from fitness. Luiz and Caballos should both be available though.

Post #501218  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:22 am 

socrates wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Arsenal above Spurs for me. They seemed to skate under the radar of criticism but barely performed better than us last year.

Hi Gaz, granty,

They've made some good signings as well. If they keep Eriksen I think they will be very decent again.

Their run to the CL final probably took its toll on their league results for a while.

By the time I wake in the morning the season will have already commenced. I am not getting up at 5am to watch Liverpool and Norwich. Go Norwich

Post #501219  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:14 pm 

DHD wrote:
https://www.arsenal.com/news/team-news-lacazette-pepe-bellerin-holding

This is probably as reliable as anything Gaz - not that it's particularly helpful.

As I understand things, Tierney is some weeks away from fitness. Luiz and Caballos should both be available though.

Implies Tierney could be in full training in four to six weeks. I would not bet on him being in the first team before the end of September.

Post #501220  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:27 pm 

DHD wrote:

If I'm being critical, I'd say we haven't addressed the need for defensive shielding in midfield. I know we have Torreira but after a bright start, he disappointed. He finished the season like a little lost schoolboy.

The thing about Torreira that gets missed that winds me up is that he was very good until we switched formation and played 3 at the back.

Everyone always misses this, because of the Holding and Bellerin injuries we started playing 3 central defenders and it meant asking him to play further forward and be more creative. I really don’t think that’s his strength. He’s a destroyer and simply wants to sit in front of the defence breaking up play, yes he has a good range of passing and can drive forward but it was patently obvious that the new formation doesn’t get the best out of him or Özil

Post #501221  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Astonishing to think of the player turnover since the winter 2017 transfer window.
Roughly speaking, and in terms of genuine first team squad players I make it that those 4 transfer windows have seen 15 players out and 13 players in.
Best 11 now
Leno
Bellerin-Sokratis-Luiz-Tierney
Xhaka-Ceballos
Pepe-Ozil-Aubameyang
Lacazette

Second 11
Martinez
AMN-Chambers-Holding-Kolasinac
Torreira-Guendouzi
Nelson-Willock-mkhitaryan
Martinelli

Not sure I agree with your first eleven. Mine would be Leno, Bellerin, Sokratis, Luiz, Tierney, Torreira, Guendouzi, Ceballos, Pépé, Lacazette, Aubameyang.

This is very close to the first 11 I’d be interested in seeing apart from I’d swap Luiz for Holding when fit and I’d pretty much rotate Luiz and sokratis. This means we haven’t got 2 thirty year old defenders and Holding can do some of their running for them. I can’t see Mustafi getting a look in this year.

This leaves Xhaka, Özil and Mhikitaryan benched and as back up.

I think what will actually happen is there will be a lot of rotation with Emery rotating his strikers and only playing them together now and then meaning Özil gets games.

Post #501222  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:12 pm 

On the predictions for the year it’s early doors but I’ll call it and say I think we will make the top 4. Man united and chelsea are there for the takings at the moment and if we can integrate our new signings we can do well.

Post #501223  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:26 pm 

I wasn't looking forward to the start of the season. Now, I'm a bit more interested. I'm also doing my annual "holding my breath until City and Liverpool [insert the current top sides] lose'.

I'm going to prefer City over Liverpool for the title for a few reasons I won't go into. Not a big deal if Liverpool wins it but if one of them has to, let it be 'Citeh' I guess.

If I had my way, Tottenham would fall out of the top 4 along with Man Utd.

Post #501224  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:45 pm 

DHD wrote:

That would be arguable Gunfire. From my recollection, Luiz only played a few games as a DM so the evidence would be pretty thin.

There'd probably be more evidence for using Chambers in that role.

https://theprideoflondon.com/2019/01/14 ... ield-base/

A good sum of Luiz and his ability as a DM. Makes sense to me from what I have seen of Luiz.

Post #501225  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:57 pm 

One of the annoying things about being obsessed with Arsenal and football at large is that my American friends who don't follow the sport will tell me well known public news about Arsenal as if its going to be new to me. Its nice and being a friend but really, its like saying to a Los Angeles Lakers fans, "Hey did you hear LeBron James is coming to the Lakers?" Or telling a Brit "Hey did you hear Boris Johnson is Prime Minister" It's like 'duh'.

I get the sentiment but really? Especially if its news I don't feel like re-living. "They AG, Arsenal lost to Tottenham yesterday" Really? That's conversation? And I've gotten a few of those.

Post #501226  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:08 pm 

Can understand the clamour to get rid of Mustafi but,we only have 3 first choice centre halves, Sok, Luiz and Chambers if you don't count him, Mavro is not thought to be good enough, Holding won't be available for several weeks Medley is no where near ready so although he's a mistake waiting to happen, we really can't lose him .
Also it's a pity we couldn't find a short term rightback, although Ainsl tries his best he struggles there.

Post #501227  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:30 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
dec wrote:

Ah I see I hadn’t realised that. So does our total include the full £72m for Pépé and the full £25m for Saliba?

Post #501228  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:49 pm 

Draytonkid wrote:
Can understand the clamour to get rid of Mustafi but,we only have 3 first choice centre halves, Sok, Luiz and Chambers if you don't count him, Mavro is not thought to be good enough, Holding won't be available for several weeks Medley is no where near ready so although he's a mistake waiting to happen, we really can't lose him .
Also it's a pity we couldn't find a short term rightback, although Ainsl tries his best he struggles there.

Moreover, Chambers was good in midfield but appalling in central defence for Fulham last season. I’m not at all sure he’s any better than Mustafi in defence. I agree that Mustafi probably couldn’t be unloaded because of our lack of numbers in central defence.

Post #501229  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:18 pm 

Believe me if we get an offer for Mustafi we will sell. He’s central defender number 5 and not needed because he’s a liability

Monreal is also being linked to sociaded today as we can still sell overseas after the window

Post #501230  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:39 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Ah I see I hadn’t realised that. So does our total include the full £72m for Pépé and the full £25m for Saliba?

A few fans were saying on twitter that the cash the club have actually spent itself this summer is around the 45 million budget being quoted after the deductions. The rest is on instalments.

Fans are hailing Raul Sanelhi for the acquisitions and I agree in a footballing sense they are all good buys on paper but is the club just loading itself with debt to get talent into the team. For example we only paid 22 million of Pepes fee up front.

I know most transfers were always paid on instalments but I always thought the bulk of it 50% plus was paid up front by Arsenal. I guess what I’m saying is the new day and celebrations some of our fans are jubilating about maybe not an increased transfer spend just loading up debt.

Post #501231  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:48 pm 

Club bulletin on Tierney: "Groin. Will continue to receive treatment and assessments. Hoping to integrate into full training in 4-6 weeks."

Sounds like late September or even October before we see him. Bellerin sounds like he's a month behind Tierney.

Going to be quite a while before we see our new defence.

Post #501232  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:31 pm 

#AFC statement: "Mesut Özil and Sead Kolasinac will not be part of the squad for our opening match against Newcastle United following further security incidents which are being investigated by the police."

Seriously wtf ! The line up v Newcastle will be all over the place

Post #501233  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
#AFC statement: "Mesut Özil and Sead Kolasinac will not be part of the squad for our opening match against Newcastle United following further security incidents which are being investigated by the police."

Bizarre.

I’m old enough to remember a time when squads started the season fit and raring to go.

Now it seems as if players are already crocked, or tired from playing during the league break. This one is a newbie though.

Post #501234  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:05 pm 

Conflicting reports apparently on Tierney's injury time. Lennon states about 2 weeks only.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footba ... 730787.amp

Post #501235  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

A few fans were saying on twitter that the cash the club have actually spent itself this summer is around the 45 million budget being quoted after the deductions. The rest is on instalments.

Fans are hailing Raul Sanelhi for the acquisitions and I agree in a footballing sense they are all good buys on paper but is the club just loading itself with debt to get talent into the team. For example we only paid 22 million of Pepes fee up front.

I know most transfers were always paid on instalments but I always thought the bulk of it 50% plus was paid up front by Arsenal. I guess what I’m saying is the new day and celebrations some of our fans are jubilating about maybe not an increased transfer spend just loading up debt.

Or it could just be that the £45m figure was taken as fact at the start of the summer and used as a stick to beat the club with. Rather than admit they were wrong could it just be that people are now coming up with various ways to make a £45m figure fit. We spent a lot of money. It was needed. Now it's up to the players and management to make it work.

Post #501236  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:32 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Bizarre.

I’m old enough to remember a time when squads started the season fit and raring to go.

Now it seems as if players are already crocked, or tired from playing during the league break. This one is a newbie though.

It is very odd indeed and maybe there is something a bit more sinister behind it. You couldn't see the club inventing a security threat just to justify squad selection.

Post #501237  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:55 pm 

dec wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Bizarre.

It is very odd indeed and maybe there is something a bit more sinister behind it. You couldn't see the club inventing a security threat just to justify squad selection.

No way, that would ridiculous.

Don’t rule out it being Özil using it to pull a sickie though !

Just weird.

Post #501238  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:27 pm 

dec wrote:

I doubt it. I'd say it's advice from the plod.

Post #501239  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:20 pm 

Liverpool starting off with a bang. Not gonna watch any more of this massacre. With what we are fielding at Newcastle, I'll predict a draw as of now. 0-0 or 1-1.

Post #501240  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

No way, that would ridiculous.

Don’t rule out it being Özil using it to pull a sickie though !

Just weird.

Well no. Apparently there was a recent incident or two since that attempted car jacking 2 weeks ago. Just saying.

[ 571656 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12528, 12529, 12530, 12531, 12532, 12533, 12534 ... 14292  Next