Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 103 guests

Post #499841  Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:48 pm 

Goonie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Iwobi is a hard working player. He does try very hard to change the game for us. But, he just does not have it. He rushes his play, and his pass accuracy suffers because he lacks the calm and vision to find the right pass. Too often, he dribbles himself into a tight spot.

Zaha was struggling in his early 20s but has managed to reach another level past couple of seasons. I'm not saying they are the same type of player or Iwobi will reach Zaha's level but it's reasonable to think it's not beyond Iwobi to improve further. He is only 23.

Yes, he can improve. This is always a possibility for all young players. Just that, IMO, he don't seem to have it in him. Perhaps Emery could coach him better? Or, perhaps, teammates should be closer to him when he goes on these runs, so he could relay the ball off to them when he is crowded off?

Post #499842  Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:41 pm 

gooner7, what’s your evidence for saying Wenger didn’t value Sanchez? By Wenger’s own admission it was him who turned down City’s £60m offer for him. Doesn’t that suggest Wenger valued Sanchez?

Post #499843  Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Bored wrote:
I do like this promo video for the new Arsenal kit.

https://arseblog.news/2019/06/video-adi ... e-arsenal/

I think it’s a really nice shirt. Hope the shorts and socks match up.

Never had you down as a full kit wanker Bernard????

Post #499844  Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:13 pm 

Congrats to the U.S. women's football team. I felt badly for the French side, they have been great to watch this tournament and played with great national pride as did the '98 men's side. I've always enjoyed watching the women's side more than our men's side. Way back before it was fashionable in America. They played attacking football while the men were more defensive and not as attractive to watch. Women's football is huge in America at the youth level. I would put it as the number one girl's sport if I had to guess at its popularity. Interestingly enough they could be better if the sport was more widely played in the inner cities.

Bring on the Brits! :1laughter:

Post #499845  Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:15 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Zaha was struggling in his early 20s but has managed to reach another level past couple of seasons. I'm not saying they are the same type of player or Iwobi will reach Zaha's level but it's reasonable to think it's not beyond Iwobi to improve further. He is only 23.

Yes, he can improve. This is always a possibility for all young players. Just that, IMO, he don't seem to have it in him. Perhaps Emery could coach him better? Or, perhaps, teammates should be closer to him when he goes on these runs, so he could relay the ball off to them when he is crowded off?

Iwobi is obviously skillful. He seems to miss having that final ball or shot on goal. His 'football brain' could be better. It's a bit frustrating to watch sometimes, someone so skillful but lacking something intangible when needed. A bit too 'invidualistic' at times instead of what is best for the team.

Post #499846  Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:17 pm 

I'd love to get Zaha but if the choice is Zaha and getting 2 (maybe 3) very good defensive signings I'd take the latter. We are woeful at the back.

Post #499847  Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:21 pm 

I've hated Rooney ever since his strike against us as a teenager. But I have to give kudos to this.

Post #499848  Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:43 pm 

I've read valuations of Zaha as much as 80 million. Even if the player wants to come to us and forces a transfer, and a fee discounted, it would still be way more than we can afford unless we sell Aubameyang or Özil.

Wonder if we could get Özil interested in going to Palace the other way plus cash? Yeah, I doubt it as well, but its worth a thought perhaps.

Post #499849  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:29 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7, what’s your evidence for saying Wenger didn’t value Sanchez? By Wenger’s own admission it was him who turned down City’s £60m offer for him. Doesn’t that suggest Wenger valued Sanchez?

Wenger: Alexis, please come into my office
Alexis: Boss, here I am. What are we talking about?
Wenger: I don't value you!

There, here's the evidence :12hello-bye:

Post #499850  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:37 am 

I'll this in some context. The St. Louis Blues, ice hockey team in the NHL won the championship, the Stanley Cup, first time I believe in its 52 year history. I was a big ice hockey fan as a kid (Montreal). The city hates Stan.
an excerpt

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns ... e3fb5.html

BenFred: Sorry, Stan. This year has shown the world the truth about sports in St. Louis

A sign spotted during the Blues’ Stanley Cup championship parade made me smile.

“Stanley Cup > Stanley Kroenke!” A question that came days later made me pause.
I was asked when I would stop finding reasons to bring up Enos Stanley Kroenke.

Fair question. Perhaps I have been guilty of going to the Kroenke well too many times, of looking — hard — for reasons to write critically about the owner who ripped the Rams out of St. Louis and set his flamethrower to scorched-earth as he departed.

Some want to know why St. Louis is still mad, still suing the Rams and the NFL, still pursuing the personal seat license money that is owed, still connecting current events — like the Blues winning the Cup, for example — to the Rams returning to California.

Why don’t we just move on?

Sure, the relocation of the Rams was a long con greased by lies from the team and the league. But that is standard operating procedure from The Shield. St. Louis made its own mistakes by leaving open loopholes that could be exploited by an owner who wanted out. We went from becoming the Rams’ greener pasture to seeing them leave for one. Some see justice served, and there’s more truth to that than most like to admit.

The problem with this synopsis of the outcome is that it overlooks both the play-by-play and the parting blow. On their way out, Kroenke and the Rams painted an inaccurate and disparaging image of our sports scene. It was untrue and unnecessary. They told the world we were a declining sports market. Screamed it from the 29-page relocation application with lines that landed like repeated cheap shots after the bell:

• St. Louis is a market that will in all likelihood be unable to sustain three professional sports teams.

• The market lacks a robust regional area from which to draw individuals and corporations that are not already attending games and purchasing tickets.

• Compared to all other U.S. cities, St. Louis is struggling.

St. Louis has its problems. No disagreement there. But the suggestion that this region’s appetite for sports is anything other than ferocious is a farce.

That was the case in 2016, when the Rams tried to conjure up falsehoods to disguise a bad product that purposefully alienated fans. It is the case now, when the past year has debunked Kroenke’s false claims. That’s why I’m bringing up Enos today. Not to criticize him. To applaud the sports scene he criticized.

We are approaching the one-year anniversary of the 100th PGA Championship at Bellerive Country Club, a golf tournament that turned West County into a party. An estimated 550 million TV viewers across the world saw a course flooded with fans who were praised by players for their passion and enthusiasm. Before the event, golf experts questioned everything from the course to the climate. After it? A standing ovation, led by runner-up Tiger Woods.

Post #499851  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:57 am 

I wonder if we could propose a cheeky Özil/bale loan swap, similar as we did with baptista/Reyes. Real can forget about a player Zidane doesn’t want and can try Özil for free. We get a packet wide man who would certainly contribute more than Özil

Post #499852  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:00 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

That story has the same credibility as many media reports and some of the stories online and in podcasts. Bernard, over to you. To disprove this you need to get Arsene on the forum to deny it. Tell us when he is coming on because I need to ask him about the Özil contract renewal, Mustafis purchase and a few other minor issues. No need to give him the heads up.

Post #499853  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:37 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

That story has the same credibility as many media reports and some of the stories online and in podcasts. Bernard, over to you. To disprove this you need to get Arsene on the forum to deny it. Tell us when he is coming on because I need to ask him about the Özil contract renewal, Mustafis purchase and a few other minor issues. No need to give him the heads up.

:42laughter:

Post #499854  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:47 am 

john1 wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I think it’s a really nice shirt. Hope the shorts and socks match up.

Never had you down as a full kit wanker Bernard????

All I’d buy is the shirt. But with such a nice one I hope the shorts and socks look as stylish on the team.

Post #499855  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:11 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Congrats to the U.S. women's football team. I felt badly for the French side, they have been great to watch this tournament and played with great national pride as did the '98 men's side. I've always enjoyed watching the women's side more than our men's side. Way back before it was fashionable in America. They played attacking football while the men were more defensive and not as attractive to watch. Women's football is huge in America at the youth level. I would put it as the number one girl's sport if I had to guess at its popularity. Interestingly enough they could be better if the sport was more widely played in the inner cities.

Not the 'Brits', the English.

Post #499856  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:13 am 

Rich wrote:
I wonder if we could propose a cheeky Özil/bale loan swap, similar as we did with baptista/Reyes. Real can forget about a player Zidane doesn’t want and can try Özil for free. We get a packet wide man who would certainly contribute more than Özil

That's highly unlikely but still more likely than Özil to Palace.

Post #499857  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:55 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Not the 'Brits', the English.

:1laughter:

The men’s side are defensive probably because they have no choice as the level of competition is far higher

Post #499858  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:31 am 

Ash wrote:
:1laughter:

The men’s side are defensive probably because they have no choice as the level of competition is far higher

There is some truth in that. But on balance, our best athletes that are suited to football don't play it. We talkeed about this many years ago and obviously it was not popular on here...lol...but if America committed to football, we'd be a top 5 power easily. We have 4 major sports professionally. Football, via the MLS is a blip. Ice Hockey, via the NHL, is more popular and that's a cold weather sport and seen as a Canadian sport by many but still is more popular from a fan point of view.

With America being estimated about 20 percent latin, one would think our football would be much better. We have a huge (350 million) and diverse population. Probably the most diverse globally, especially given our size.

The women's side offers some indication of what the men's side may be like if football was among the top 2 sports.

But our best athletes are going into American football, basketball, baseball and ice hockey. Even the athletes that would excel at football aren't going to pursue it as a professional. One big reason is money, the other is the other sports are more popular.

Post #499859  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:59 am 

Rich wrote:

No Özil burnt his bridges with Real too,

I think we need to be pragmatic about some of these deadwood type players and just take peppercorn transfer fees to get them off our books.

Like accept 5-10 million for mhikitaryan or Mustafi

Post #499860  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:33 pm 

Just went to the bureau de change to get some Dollars for our holiday

Exchange rate was 1.22 to buy. I went to the US ten years ago and it was 2.05

*%^@ brexit, just *%^@ it. Anyone who thinks it’s a good idea is a moron of the highest order.

Post #499861  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:34 pm 

Matt Targett signing for Villa for £14m rising to £17m. No reason we couldn’t get more for Chambers. Let’s see

Post #499862  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

No Özil burnt his bridges with Real too,

I think we need to be pragmatic about some of these deadwood type players and just take peppercorn transfer fees to get them off our books.

Like accept 5-10 million for mhikitaryan or Mustafi

Sadly you may be right, the ridiculously high contracts these players are paid are crippling us.

Post #499863  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Just went to the bureau de change to get some Dollars for our holiday

Exchange rate was 1.22 to buy. I went to the US ten years ago and it was 2.05

*%^@ brexit, just *%^@ it. Anyone who thinks it’s a good idea is a moron of the highest order.
Holiday in England instead. Clacton is not all that bad...

Post #499864  Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:07 am 

Looking forward to next week, to see what deals Emery finally made.

Post #499865  Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:39 am 

gooner7 wrote:

With Kroenke’s financial restrictions I think you should try and keep your expectations realistic.

Post #499866  Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:16 am 

gooner7 wrote:

The good thing about Emery is that he has experience building a competitive side with limited funds. I don't think Seville was awash with euros when he built those trophy winning sides. I'm guessing he has more money available than then, just a guess. It's not PSG by any stretch but the club has experience identifying good young talent, with the occasional misses. Which will invariably happen.

Post #499867  Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:47 am 

gooner7 wrote:

I am already wearied by all the media speculation about transfers, and it's not even July yet.

Post #499868  Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:12 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

With Kroenke’s financial restrictions I think you should try and keep your expectations realistic.

Yup, not hoping to hear fantastic news. Just hope he focuses on buying defensive strength, and give youth a chance next season. The report about a discouraged Beliek looking elsewhere is bad news.

Post #499869  Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:54 pm 

Bayern Munich’s fans voted to make Serge Gnabry the club’s player of the season for 2018/19.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fcbayern.c ... rge-gnabry

Post #499870  Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Bayern Munich’s fans voted to make Serge Gnabry the club’s player of the season for 2018/19.

:20hospitals:

So we were waiting for good news and you give us this. Look Bernard if you’re not part of the solution...

That transfer was proper shady by Bayern and it’s just been roses all round for them. Arschlöcher...

Post #499871  Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:05 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I am already wearied by all the media speculation about transfers, and it's not even July yet.

Same here, i just see the headlines and don't bother reading the article

Post #499872  Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:06 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

The good thing about Emery is that he has experience building a competitive side with limited funds. I don't think Seville was awash with euros when he built those trophy winning sides. I'm guessing he has more money available than then, just a guess. It's not PSG by any stretch but the club has experience identifying good young talent, with the occasional misses. Which will invariably happen.

That is my hope with Emery. Season 1 is over. He had a full season to assess his players. He needs to build strongly now. Bring on the youth!

Post #499873  Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:31 am 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

:20hospitals:

So we were waiting for good news and you give us this. Look Bernard if you’re not part of the solution...

That transfer was proper shady by Bayern and it’s just been roses all round for them. Arschlöcher...

There is a story going round that Celtic have gone to Austria to play a few friendlies against local teams and Tierney has left their training camp to return to the UK.

Post #499874  Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:30 am 

Juve looking likely to get Rabiot on a free to go with Ramsey on a free.....and this list of past free transfers Fabio Cannavaro, Andrea Pirlo, Paul Pogba, Kingsley Coman, Sami Khedira and Dani Alves

Post #499875  Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:15 am 

Seen some reports saying we’re signing Yacine Brahimi from Porto on a free transfer. 29 year old Algerian winger

“Brahimi’s best attributes are his dribbling, his through balls and his passing, though he doesn’t provide anything much in the way of defensive contribution. His finishing is also a bit inconsistent, even if he’s on a great goalscoring run at the moment, with four goals in six games.”

Post #499876  Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:39 am 

lol @ new kit - pictures of Elneny in it (?!) and Mustafi looking miserable.

Is anyone really buying this?, seriously?, tell the club to f*ck off if you have any sense!.

One thing is for sure - our next kit deal wont be anywhere near as lucrative if we continue down the path KSE have set us on.

Post #499877  Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:59 am 

The excellent Swiss ramble has been doing some financial work and put it on Twitter.

I found the following chart of most interest. Just shows how few of our recent transfers work out

Attachments:

Post #499878  Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:21 pm 

Hey guys, I saw this 15% off discount code for all Adidas gear at the Adidas online shop, including all new Arsenal gear.

https://discountcode.dailymail.co.uk/adidas

Might be worth it if any of you are buying shirts etc.

Post #499879  Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:29 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hey guys, I saw this 15% off discount code for all Adidas gear at the Adidas online shop, including all new Arsenal gear.

Cheers soc

Just ordered my new Zaha shirt

Post #499880  Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Cheers soc

Just ordered my new Zaha shirt

:laughing7:

You've not gone for a Neymar one then?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12494, 12495, 12496, 12497, 12498, 12499, 12500 ... 14269  Next