Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 102 guests

Post #503561  Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:00 pm 

I definitely thought Pépé had a legitimate PK claim. The referee seemed to have based it purely on the first touch of the defender who got the ball, credit to him. BUT I thought Pépé could still get to the ball that was nudged away and the defender impeded him. Maybe the referee thought, the momentum of the defender was unavoidable given the first legitimate and fair tackle and I can see that point of view and if reversed and we got a PK I'd feel a little hard done by. However, I think part of defending is not just the initial contact but also follow through and its often a foul in other such similar circumstances outside the box.

Post #503562  Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:03 pm 

I'm not going to complain about how we win during this rebuilding process. And we are certainly a rebuilding project.

City and Liverpool fans can complain about how they win because they are a finished product. We can't. We need to get to top 4 again as a priority. How we get there doesn't matter right now. The great sides we had the early '00s didn't always win pretty. There were more than a few 'One Nil To The Arsenal' wins in those days, especially given the fact pitches in a lot of clubs seemed better for horse racing than football.

Post #503563  Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:25 pm 

Toon teenager, 1st start in a league match, game winner.
I'm still haunted by Rooney's strike against us for Everton as a 16 year old. I recall exactly where I was. Cock 'N Bull Pub, Santa Monica, Ca. Stunned.

Post #503564  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:13 am 

long time gooner wrote:
There was a law change this year. It was to stop the situation where a ball hitting a ref gave an unfair advantage.

Although that doesn’t quite seem to apply to what you’ve described.

Dropped ball : laws 8 and 9

I think dropped balls are inevitable as you get older. The way mine have been acting, they should get a SAG award.

Post #503565  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:55 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to say it 8 games in. Liverpool will win the title and the media will go on a nostalgic bore tour down memory lane. 20 years since they last won, blah, blah effing blah.

30 years...

Seems like 20. lol

Math was never my strength. Thanks.

Post #503566  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:58 am 

8 games in and we're only 1 point behind City. Emery out! :36angers:

Post #503567  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:10 am 

Well done Newcastle!

Post #503568  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:03 am 

Gunfire wrote:
We've been poor and the youngsters are looking every year of their inexperience.

I think you‘ve raised an important issue Gunfire. Inexperienced kids are normally going to be inconsistent. That’s the reality of the situation. He’s a fantastic prospect but for the first time Saka looked like he was running out of steam and a spell on the bench may benefit him and the team, as Willock has had. Fans are crying out for youngsters to play. But they have to be managed carefully and I think people should try and accept that useful teams like Bournemouth aren’t always going to be hammered 5-0 when we play inexperienced kids against them.

Also, the way some go on (and on, and on, and on) about Xhaka seems way over the top. , I’m not convinced Xhaka is the first place where people should look when they want to apportion blame for us only winning narrowly. Every time I log on after a game (or at any point) I wonder if I’m going to see Xhaka blamed for the rise in knife crime, world poverty or global warming.

I strongly suspect he could be a steadying influence on the younger players. As I’ve said I’m not a huge fan of Xhaka myself and for a vital game would be happy not to see him start. Yet he isn’t as bad as some make out and shouldn’t be blamed for everything.

Post #503569  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:12 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
We've been poor and the youngsters are looking every year of their inexperience.

I think you‘ve raised an important issue Gunfire. Inexperienced kids are normally going to be inconsistent. That’s the reality of the situation. He’s a fantastic prospect but for the first time Saka looked like he was running out of steam and a spell on the bench may benefit him and the team, as Willock has had. Fans are crying out for youngsters to play. But they have to be managed carefully and I think people should try and accept that useful teams like Bournemouth aren’t always going to be hammered 5-0 when we play inexperienced kids against them.

Also, the way some go on (and on, and on, and on) about Xhaka seems way over the top. , I’m not convinced Xhaka is the first place where people should look when they want to apportion blame for us only winning narrowly. Every time I log on after a game (or at any point) I wonder if I’m going to see Xhaka blamed for the rise in knife crime, world poverty or global warming.

I strongly suspect he could be a steadying influence on the younger players. As I’ve said I’m not a huge fan of Xhaka myself and for a vital game would be happy not to see him start. Yet he isn’t as bad as some make out and shouldn’t be blamed for everything.

Spot on, especially given the loss of Ramsey and the effective loss of Özil. We could see in the second half how badly those two are missed.

However, I am hopeful that with Torriera coming back fully we can drop Xhaka if needs be. The other three CMs really do look promising.

Yesterday also highlighted how we can't keep relying on Aubameyang, and how badly we Lacazette back.

Finally, two major positives: our two backup fullbacks were mostly good yesterday as were the centre backs, and Leno was again excellent.

Post #503570  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:15 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I definitely thought Pépé had a legitimate PK claim. The referee seemed to have based it purely on the first touch of the defender who got the ball, credit to him. BUT I thought Pépé could still get to the ball that was nudged away and the defender impeded him. Maybe the referee thought, the momentum of the defender was unavoidable given the first legitimate and fair tackle and I can see that point of view and if reversed and we got a PK I'd feel a little hard done by. However, I think part of defending is not just the initial contact but also follow through and its often a foul in other such similar circumstances outside the box.

If it had been given on field VAR wouldn't have overturned it.

However, I think it wasn't quite nailed on either way. Pépé did seem to be going down before he was fouled (if he was fouled) which blurs the lines a bit.

Post #503571  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:21 am 

We miss what Ramsey gives us for sure, the nearest player to his skill set in the squad is Willock. Özil and Ceballos don’t run beyond strikers they want to sit in pockets or sit deep and get loads of touches and dictate play. Willock is more of a runner and wants to get in the box to get on the end of things.
I think getting that balance right in midfield and getting Tierney and Bellerin up to speed will improve is immensely. That’s not to say Kolasinac and Chambers did anything wrong yesterday, far from it, but they don’t provide the attacking balance the first choice two do.

International breaks are always a pain but having won before it starts and it gives more time to get key players back, it isn’t the worst timing for us.

We’ve got a run of fixtures where we’d expect to win most but I wouldn’t underestimate our next game away to sheff Utd. They look the best of the promoted teams based on their defence. Liverpool really struggled to beat them, and they beat Everton away. I’d happily take another scrappy 1-0 victory!

Post #503572  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:27 am 

The two games where we’ve taken the most shots by some distance are spurs and villa at home. No coincidence that we were behind in both and were forced to attack more.

Post #503573  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:33 am 

Bernard wrote:

The problem for me, as I’ve alluded to before, is who do you replace him with from our current squad? Willock is an exciting player, but a midfield three of Willock, Guendozi and Ceballos just looks terribly unblanaced to me. Three players who have an attacking mindset and wants the ball constantly, with nobody to provide any depth. Torreira is a good dm in terms of energy and winning the ball, but seeing how we’re struggling with creativity I don’t see how making the midfield less creative makes it better.

Post #503574  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:50 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

That's a good point about steadying influence. He clearly is seen by people at the club as officer material and he is the dest and most experienced midfielder. I also agree he is not as bad as some make out. Leaving aside the rash tackles he is a decent player.

Post #503575  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:59 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The problem for me, as I’ve alluded to before, is who do you replace him with from our current squad? Willock is an exciting player, but a midfield three of Willock, Guendozi and Ceballos just looks terribly unblanaced to me. Three players who have an attacking mindset and wants the ball constantly, with nobody to provide any depth. Torreira is a good dm in terms of energy and winning the ball, but seeing how we’re struggling with creativity I don’t see how making the midfield less creative makes it better.

Torreira, Guendozi and Ceballos looks quite promising to me. Especially as we have excellent prospects with our fullbacks and wide forwards.

Post #503576  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:26 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

And yet he was *%^@ again yesterday ...

I agree about the inexperienced kids though. It’s alright utilising on martinelli, Saka and Nelson now but at the business end of the season will they deliver the goods. At the moment I think we are far too dependant on Guendouzi who should be gradually eased in. I’ve got a feeling we could see a similar scenario to last season after January when we just run out of steam.

Post #503577  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:30 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The problem for me, as I’ve alluded to before, is who do you replace him with from our current squad? Willock is an exciting player, but a midfield three of Willock, Guendozi and Ceballos just looks terribly unblanaced to me. Three players who have an attacking mindset and wants the ball constantly, with nobody to provide any depth.

Torreira as DM ... Guendouzi as a box to box midfielder then Willock or ceballos as attacking midfielders with specific instructions to support Aubameyang with runs into the penalty area.

I generally think that if we aren’t gonna play Özil we will have to buy another creative no10 type as I’m not sure we have one otherwise.(although I have a feeling Emery doesn’t like them)

Post #503578  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
The problem for me, as I’ve alluded to before, is who do you replace him with from our current squad? Willock is an exciting player, but a midfield three of Willock, Guendozi and Ceballos just looks terribly unblanaced to me. Three players who have an attacking mindset and wants the ball constantly, with nobody to provide any depth.

Torreira as DM ... Guendouzi as a box to box midfielder then Willock or ceballos as attacking midfielders with specific instructions to support Aubameyang with runs into the penalty area.

I generally think that if we aren’t gonna play Özil we will have to buy another creative no10 type as I’m not sure we have one otherwise.(although I have a feeling Emery doesn’t like them)

Happy with not explicitly looking for another no.10 (of the Özil type). I think width and a solid spine is what works in the premiership.

Post #503579  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:41 am 

Video Ref at our game .....................Antony Taylor
Pen not given because B'mouth player touched the ball.Ignoring the fact he went throuh Pépé? if it had been out of the penalty it would have been a nailed on foul, wouldn't it? G agrees Halsey in the sun says it was a pen.

Gallagher verdict on Liverpool pen - it was a foul so penalty nm the axaggerated dive......

Foul on Salah according to G was a def yellow wtf

Post #503580  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:57 am 

Brexit past week update

No more holidays, a hard Irish border and no more pizzas coming

Hooray, more sunny uplands coming in next weeks update

Post #503581  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
And yet he was *%^@ again yesterday ...

I didn’t think he was actually. Whatever word *%^@ replaces, not only must it be vulgar in its meaning, I’m sure it grossly exaggerates his performance in an overly negative sense. He wasn’t brilliant, but was okay, alright, decent or similar such terms.

Post #503582  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Yep. I said as much last week. I don't think he trusts creative midfielders. He dropped both Özil and Ramsey last season. His favourite attacking ploy is the overlapping fullback. It's actually odd that such a conservative coach isn't much good at setting up his team defensively.

Post #503583  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:39 pm 

Liverpool has upcoming matches against Man Utd and Tottenham and I hope either or both beats them. At this point, I don't care who is playing them. I want them to get a loss in the league.

What is shocking is seeing Man City losing 2 matches already in the manner of how they lost it and to whom they lost to. Man City are operating at such a high level that its hard for such clubs (Barca for example) to mentally get up for clubs seemingly far below them. I've seen Barca play a number of times against inferior league opposition. Their stars are global stars and it seems like they are going through the motions playing a Getafe or Alaves away. They will save it for late. If its 0-0 at half time they turn it up after 50 or 60 minutes to get that goal and usually they score and then relax and wait to counter after the opposition comes forward for an equalizer.

City are like that. They will not be like that much more I imagine because they have a lot of ground to make up.

Post #503584  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:48 pm 

It's amazing a club, arguably the 2nd biggest in the country has gone nearly 30 years without winning the league. In the interim they have won every other trophy so its dissimilar from what both Man Utd ('68 to '92) and Arsenal ('71 to '89) went through. We won a couple cups. Man Utd about 4 FA cups in the interim.

I also would rather see Liverpool have the most titles if it can't be us. I hate seeing Man Utd with the most titles. Not that I want Liverpool to regain that crown but given a choice, I'd take LFC. I want us to expand our FA cup totals. I also fear at some point our number of titles will be threatened. I thought Chelsea would get to it in a decade or so when they were doing better. City may end up doing it with the money they have. Unless that oil and gas money runs low.

Post #503585  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:54 pm 

My guess is, its clubs like Newcastle, Everton, Southampton, West Ham.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... gue-offers

Arsene Wenger says he has turned down Premier League offers

Post #503586  Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:24 pm 

It will be interesting to see Liverpool in more games where they go a goal down 2nd half.

Post #503587  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:51 am 

...and it has come to pass, the 5th sign of the prophesied apocalypse. "...and it shall come to pass, a man appeared on a canon and the Devil, reddish in colour shall proclaim him".

Its actually great seeing old rivalries like that become amicable over the years. Some that I think will never become amicable? Sherringham, Giggs and Scholes and Arsenal. Me and Fat Sam. Me and...er..ah...nevermind. :42laughter:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-20534202
Sir Alex Ferguson's praise for Arsene Wenger on big night for ex-Arsenal boss

Post #503588  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:54 am 

There was once a time we gave players time to get adjusted. Wenger routinely let big transfers sit on the bench and watch the game and get subbed in later and adjust fairly slowly. Now it seems if they don't make an immediate impact its a busted transfer.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/hes-not-co ... kub5tnj3m4

'He's not completely adapted' - Wenger warns out-of-form Pépé to expect fight for Arsenal place

Post #503589  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:56 am 

Says the man who is at the root of our woes.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... t-20533807
Unai Emery set Arsenal target by ex-Gunners chief David Dein

Post #503590  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:47 am 

Rich wrote:
...How do Bournemouth find their strikers running in behind our defence so often and we couldn’t do it once?
Could be that nobody else in our squad has Özil's vision for a pass? If we are not going to use him, Özil to United could be a good fit for him and that club. They need some creativity to go with their youthful energy.

Post #503591  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:53 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
It gets easier if you add an s to the end...

Post #503592  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
Also, the way some go on (and on, and on, and on) about Xhaka seems way over the top. , I’m not convinced Xhaka is the first place where people should look when they want to apportion blame for us only winning narrowly. Every time I log on after a game (or at any point) I wonder if I’m going to see Xhaka blamed for the rise in knife crime, world poverty or global warming....
Indeed. For some of his critics the instinctive turning of his head for the McTominay goal was enough to send him to the gibbet. It seems Maguire may have to join him after his flinch for the Newcastle goal?

Post #503593  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:57 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:
...How do Bournemouth find their strikers running in behind our defence so often and we couldn’t do it once?
Could be that nobody else in our squad has Özil's vision for a pass? If we are not going to use him, Özil to United could be a good fit for him and that club. They need some creativity to go with their youthful energy.

OMG this is the Poirot moment. Are you saying we lack creativity? Everyone else is pussyfooting around this. ( Who invented the word pussyfooting). poirot points to the fact we have basically been outplayed in every game this season. Bit like last season.

I don’t think other than some of the Europa/ League cup games that we have actually dominated. Personally i think Özil is too lazy but we need a creator. I would push Guendouzi forward for this role in some games and relieve him of the defensive duties he has to do mainly to cover for Xhaka. If Xhaka is so good he should be receiving the ball from goal kicks and creating but he is too slow. The start of the imbalance in the team. I would give Torreira 5 games in place of Xhaka. I would move Pépé to the Europa Lesgue and see if he settles into the club. His confidence is shot.

As for Utd they got Alexis but never knew what to do with him. Maybe Özil is a fit. We still owe them back for Silvestre. They will have a new manager before christmas. Maybe someone drummed out of Spurs.

Post #503594  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:51 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
It gets easier if you add an s to the end...

lol. Actually we don't add the 's' and I thought it was odd when I would hear Brits add it, cultural affectation I guess. But since you guys originated the language, I assume we changed it (for the better...haha).

Post #503595  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:55 am 

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... n-17049414
'Destroyed Arsenal, now us' - AC Milan fans rage at Ivan Gazidis with manager set to be sacked

Post #503596  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:34 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Liverpool has upcoming matches against Man Utd and Tottenham and I hope either or both beats them. At this point, I don't care who is playing them. I want them to get a loss in the league.

Not me. As painful as it is we have to cheer for results that are in arsenal’s Best interest. There is no chance we finish above Liverpool this season so we must want them to beat every one of our rivals for a top 4 place.
Yes I do want Liverpool to lose a game but given the choice between Liverpool going unbetend and arsenal getting back in the champions league vs Liverpool winning the title but losing 1 game and arsenal finishing 5th again you have to go for the option that gets arsenal in the champions league.
For the same reasons I cheer City on when they play spurs, Chelsea and Man U .....and Leicester.

Post #503597  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:41 pm 

I think (maybe its my annual paranoia) Liverpool have a very good chance of going undefeated. So, for me, it works in our best interest in terms of the legacy of the Invincibles.

Post #503598  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:02 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I think (maybe its my annual paranoia) Liverpool have a very good chance of going undefeated. So, for me, it works in our best interest in terms of the legacy of the Invincibles.

Based on what? It's only been done once.

Post #503599  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:28 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Based on what? It's only been done once.

No matter how good you are, there are always games when things go against you. Injuries play a part too. Liverpool,, like everyone else, have some players they cannot replace. It's too early to make any call on it.

Post #503600  Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:57 pm 

Ceballos could be a permanent fixture next season. Price may be the biggest obstacle.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/08/real-mad ... -10882792/

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12587, 12588, 12589, 12590, 12591, 12592, 12593 ... 14269  Next