Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 26 guests

Post #480201  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:24 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Adams was a great defender. Sansom was a great defender. Nacho is a half-decent defender.

I would say Adams was a world class defender, if we are going to get tied down in subjective player classifications.
Apart from at Trudie's Bondage Parlour no better place to get tied down. I give you Robert Moore, Paolo Maldini and Franco Baresi as other great defenders. Of all those I have seen in an Arsenal shirt O'Leary and Simpson were the only ones to match Adams.

Post #480202  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:30 pm 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Your dropping him for Özil are you?

He's scored 32 goals in his career with us and he's now 27 years old. Doesn't suggest he could ever be that prolific in any way

I don't think Özil is staying.

Then your saying we can compete for the title with Aaron playing the number ten role?

On the basis he's scored 32 goals in his career now aged 27 if keeps up this strike rate he could finish his Arsenal career on around 50/60 goals depending on his time of retirement or being sold off. This is about a third of what Frank Lampard scored at Chelsea and their games were similar as based on making runs into the box and movement rather than passing attributes.

Therefore Ramsey is a third of the player Lampard was. You don't win titles with players of this type being your focal midfielder

Post #480203  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Therefore Ramsey is a third of the player Lampard was.

Can't compete with math.

Post #480204  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:46 pm 

Shlomo is good too.
https://youtu.be/oQPSQzfOrL4

Post #480205  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:48 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Anyway, half-decent is obviously preposterous when talking about Monreal in the last few seasons. He's even managed to consistently look good in our defensive setup.

Sorry Haz but half-decent means 'pretty good' or 'not bad' which I think is obviously a fair assessment.

Post #480206  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:56 pm 

Or Benjamin?
https://youtu.be/qZMkvfdv_Sk

Post #480207  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:39 pm 

Daz wrote:
Sticking with The Kinks - and why not - this is actually up there with Waterloo Sunset for me even though it's much later.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M1l1Vjl6E4[/youtube]

And sticking with the metrosexual vibe that's been creeping in to the forum with John1's revelations I don't mind adding Ray Davies to Joachim Loew (prior to the finger-sniffing clips) as men I slightly fancy.

Great song writer and super live band. Saw them in 81 and either 82 or 83.

"The day they knocked down the Palais, my sister stood and cried. The day they knocked down the Palais, part of my childhood died."

Post #480208  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:52 pm 

On bands .... couple of questions

The Smiths ? Any good and where should I start

Stone roses ? Some good songs but are they over rated ?

Post #480209  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:15 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Anyway, half-decent is obviously preposterous when talking about Monreal in the last few seasons. He's even managed to consistently look good in our defensive setup.

Sorry Haz but half-decent means 'pretty good' or 'not bad' which I think is obviously a fair assessment.

Sorry bromley but I don't think half-decent, or pretty good, or not bad is anything like a fair assessment. Monreal is comfortably better than that on a consistent basis.

Post #480210  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:22 pm 

We have conceded the last 23 penalties we have given away in the league. Stretching back to August 2013

The most shocking part is that we’ve conceded 23 penalties in 4.5 seasons. Top clubs just don’t concede that many.

Post #480211  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Sorry bromley but I don't think half-decent, or pretty good, or not bad is anything like a fair assessment. Monreal is comfortably better than that on a consistent basis.

He's better than "pretty good" ? Really what's that excellent ? He's a 6/10 or 7 at most. The fact we have an absence of talent is lending people to think these players are better than they are.

I seriously think some folks on here are over rating our players, there's a reason we are 6th.

Mourinho, pep, klopp even Poch are not touching Monreal or Ramsey and they would be shipped out in 5 seconds

Post #480212  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:47 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

The Smiths were very good. There's a compilation called Louder Than Bombs which would be a good place to start. The Queen is Dead is a brilliant album.

Stone Roses. The first album and the associated singles and b sides are great along with Fools Gold, One Love and to a lesser extent Elephant Stone. The second album wasn't great at all although Love Spreads is ok.

Steer well clear of anything live though as Ian Brown is an abysmal lead singer.

Post #480213  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:49 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The Smiths were very good. There's a compilation called Louder Than Bombs which would be a good place to start. The Queen is Dead is a brilliant album.

Stone Roses. The first album and the associated singles and b sides are great along with Fools Gold, One Love and to a lesser extent Elephant Stone. The second album wasn't great at all although Love Spreads is ok.

Steer well clear of anything live though as Ian Brown is an abysmal lead singer.

Thanks Dec I'll start with the Smiths. Sound advice

Post #480214  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:05 pm 

Well according to you Top Gun, Monreal is better than Clichy, which I'd agree with. When Manchester City, one of the world's richest clubs, decided they wanted a new left back they bought him. When Guardiola arrived there he got rid of the likes of Hart immediately and Toure pretty damn quickly. But he kept Clichy a whole season, only getting rid of him when he was well in his thirties. As Monreal is better than Clichy who he kept until around 32, there's nothing to suggest Guardiola would have shipped him out in 5 seconds.

Sorry, I agree with lots of your viewpoints but you come out with a load of bollocks about many. Monreal is one of them.

Post #480215  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:10 pm 

john1 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
strictly women and sheep for me .

And not necessarily in that order?

At this very moment I'd take the sheep any day of the week .

Two blokes arrived to do the fence one with a bobcat [ that's a little tractor thing for all you highfalutin physicists , scriptwriters and deskbound blowflies ] and are happy to cart away the mountain of debris I've created the day before at no cost to me .

I'm excited [ not as excited as Brom over John1 or Daz over Joechim the Kraut ] but very pleased ...... say to Mrs Kiwi .... "magic they are getting rid of the tree for nothing " .... saved probably three trips to the dump $45 plus a mountain of labour for me .
She with a face like a twisted prune .

"Whats wrong with you "

"Oh I hardly slept last night worrying about the fence ... we have had no official statement outlining what exactly they are going to do .... go and tell them to stop "

"Bit late for that I'm not telling them , you go out if you feel that strongly "

Post #480216  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:14 pm 

Monreal gets a 7 from me. Still comfortably better than Clichy to be fair.

Post #480217  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:24 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Well according to you Top Gun, Monreal is better than Clichy, which I'd agree with. When Manchester City, one of the world's richest clubs, decided they wanted a new left back they bought him. When Guardiola arrived there he got rid of the likes of Hart immediately and Toure pretty damn quickly. But he kept Clichy a whole season, only getting rid of him when he was well in his thirties. As Monreal is better than Clichy who he kept until around 32, there's nothing to suggest Guardiola would have shipped him out in 5 seconds.

Sorry, I agree with lots of your viewpoints but you come out with a load of bollocks about many. Monreal is one of them.

city were signing our players left right and centre including Toure when he had malaria for 15 million and adebayor. Doesn't mean they are amazing players, Monreal is better than clichy but Clichy wouldn't have got anywhere near a regular role in a pep side. He was a squaddie

Monreal wouldn't be a bad substitute for arsenal.

Nachos heavy heights were playing for osasuna and Malaga. No one of note ever displayed an interest. He is a trier and "not bad" but not much more.

Post #480218  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:27 pm 

Niall wrote:

Seriously, what would you give Clichy then? He was much better than people here used to admit and better than Gibbs.

Post #480219  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:29 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Evening Bernard.
In my language any of the statements (maybe I should have said 'not bad at all' as opposed to a simple 'not bad'), accompanied by a knowing nod (hard to get across on the forum) are intended as compliments. I like Nacho. He's competent and committed. But I also think he's a bit limited and prefer him at left back in a 4 than as a centre back in a 3, and he's definitely not a centre back in a back 4. I just thought Haz was over-egging the pudding describing him as 'great' - we've been blessed with a few great defenders over the years but he's not one of them.

Post #480220  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:31 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Niall wrote:

Seriously, what would you give Clichy then? He was much better than people here used to admit and better than Gibbs.

On reflection I think Clichy has a slightly bad rap, in the end he was better than Gibbs but not much worse than Monreal. Those 3 are proper Wenger defenders

Post #480221  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:32 pm 

All of the players City bought from us were intended to improve them. I thought Clichy played lots of games for Guardiola last season.

Post #480222  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:
All of the players City bought from us were intended to improve them. I thought Clichy played lots of games for Guardiola last season.

His first season. Didn't win the league.

Post #480223  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

city were signing our players left right and centre including Toure when he had malaria for 15 million and adebayor. Doesn't mean they are amazing players, Monreal is better than clichy but Clichy wouldn't have got anywhere near a regular role in a pep side. He was a squaddie

Monreal wouldn't be a bad substitute for arsenal.

Nachos heavy heights were playing for osasuna and Malaga. No one of note ever displayed an interest. He is a trier and "not bad" but not much more.

Also worth noting that Clichy counted as a 'homegrown' player at a time when City were busy signing lots of non homegrown players and were struggling to meet the quota.
It is no coincidence that they have signed Stones, Walker and Sterling - some of the best young homegrown talent to ensure they are well stocked in that area because it is unlikely (however good they are) that City are bringing through any of their own youngsters to the first team proper.

Post #480224  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Tickets on sale for red members now at 10 quid a pop for the lower tier for the 2nd leg v Chelsea.

The drop off of demand for tickets is incredible. This wouldn't have happened a few years back.

Fascinating situation at Arsenal off the pitch. On it it's tedious

Perhaps this is the type of thing, more than the mediocrity we're routinely seeing on the pitch, that will make Kroenke think about whether it's time to bring in a new manager? If Darren is right though, I won't be happy with Wenger joining the board. He's such a control freak I just don't see him being able to stop himself from interfering. I reckon he'd want to choose the new manager who will be someone willing to listen to Wenger's advice, which is a way of saying do as he's told.

I am with you on this situation. Under no circumstances do I want Wenger to help select his successor and I don't want him to have any position at the club. I do not want a statue erected to him. Maybe after they put up one to George Graham. The chances of that are pretty slim.

Post #480225  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:08 pm 

Simple header at the far post goal from Lemar for Monaco tonight. For those like me who follow French football their game vs Nice (feat. Seri) is on BTSport.

Bernard not much between Clichy and Montreal. Personally, I think Monreal does not close down crosses well enough to be considered top drawer though I do like his commitment and he can be effective going forward.

Post #480226  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:13 pm 

Daz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Tomorrow's paper. Life after Sanchez looks rosy. What a crowd

Nah I will be disappointed on the day young footballers with a ton of money don't rent an Air B and B for a party the night before a cup game. Good on you, Alex. It sits nicely with Bellerin's yellow hat at London Fashion Week.

Like the Style Council, my moods are ever-changing and the Arsenal soap opera is becoming more and more entertaining by the day. Nobody could have failed to derive a degree of entertainment and amusement from the debacle at Forest which in a sterile football world is something. It is the Eighteenth Brumaire of Arsene Wenger - first time tragedy, second time farce.

Well I would rather Bellerin be out trying to pick up a couple of anorexic models to shag than Iwobi being at drugs party before an important game.

Post #480227  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Daz wrote:
His form's dipped recently but I still like him and wouldn't write him off just yet.

If you had your way we'd be playing 0-0-0 formation because they've all been sacked off at some time or another for being utterly useless and beyond redemption. OK maybe 0-0-1 if you take Sanchez into account...

Not true

Looking long term we have 4 players I consider to be at the level of quality to compete for the title.

Özil, Sanchez, Lacazette, wilshere

In addition to this you have Ramsey, mustafi and Kolasinic who aren’t quite that level of technical ability but could make a contribution if used sparingly in a squad that could be successful.

Outside of this I don’t see the remaining players as having much of a future with us or being technically Good enough to compete at the highest level.

We have the biggest drought of talent in the squad for some time and the next manager will rapidly need to bring in new firepower the moment he’s onboard if he wishes to prolong his arsenal tenure after the damage Wenger has caused

Wilshire . Your having a f...en laugh

Post #480228  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:22 pm 

Northern Ref wrote:
Anyway off to take my whippet to the vet to have her anal glands squeezed.

This is actually true apart from the breed of dog; she is a soft southern cockerpoo.

I suggest the vet practices on you first so there are no mistakes.

Post #480229  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:28 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

And not necessarily in that order?

At this very moment I'd take the sheep any day of the week .

Two blokes arrived to do the fence one with a bobcat [ that's a little tractor thing for all you highfalutin physicists , scriptwriters and deskbound blowflies ] and are happy to cart away the mountain of debris I've created the day before at no cost to me .

I'm excited [ not as excited as Brom over John1 or Daz over Joechim the Kraut ] but very pleased ...... say to Mrs Kiwi .... "magic they are getting rid of the tree for nothing " .... saved probably three trips to the dump $45 plus a mountain of labour for me .
She with a face like a twisted prune .

"Whats wrong with you "

"Oh I hardly slept last night worrying about the fence ... we have had no official statement outlining what exactly they are going to do .... go and tell them to stop "

"Bit late for that I'm not telling them , you go out if you feel that strongly "

Pretty good day to find some urgent project away from the house

Post #480230  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:45 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Northern Ref wrote:

This is actually true apart from the breed of dog; she is a soft southern cockerpoo.

That's a bit harsh ... I'd suggest doing it himself at home https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNbmHF2Cftc

[ 1 ] less stress on the dog ..familiar surroundings etc
[ 2 ] educational for Max and his sister [ what is her name by the way ... Conchita ..Popsical , Clarabell ]
[ 3 ] and what a wonderful conversational piece over wine , nibbles and hor d'oeuvres with Dame Helen , Annabel Wallace and Thandie Newton at the next TV get together .

Post #480231  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:23 pm 

OMOH, what is it that you found so wrong or snoozeworthy about my post? The one you put lots of Z's against. Do you not think Wenger enjoys control? Do you not think if he joined the board he would want a big say on who gets the job? Then, do you not think he would try and influence his successor?

Post #480232  Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:54 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
I just thought Haz was over-egging the pudding describing him as 'great' - we've been blessed with a few great defenders over the years but he's not one of them.

I meant great as in 'very good', not as in 'one of the greats'. Obviously not comparing him to Adams or Campbell, but his best seasons more than matches anything that players like Sagna and Clichy gave us. Think some of our players get underrated because we often suck as a team.

Post #480233  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:47 am 

For Oz viewers the arsenal Chelsea game will be on Foxtel tomorrow morning. I think 514 on my package. Watched the Bristol city man city game - Bristol really tried hard and could have got a draw

Post #480234  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:03 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
For Oz viewers the arsenal Chelsea game will be on Foxtel tomorrow morning. I think 514 on my package.

I for one can assure I am in no way interested in viewing your package !

Post #480235  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:13 am 

warrior wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
For Oz viewers the arsenal Chelsea game will be on Foxtel tomorrow morning. I think 514 on my package.

I for one can assure I am in no way interested in viewing your package !

I can promise you there are no surprises in the package. You would not bother posting any photos of it on the internet.

Post #480236  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:14 am 

VAR just used in the Wellington v Melbourne Victory to upgrade a yellow to a red card for a last man foul.

Post #480237  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:29 am 

Then we just saw a total mess with the VAR about an offside

Post #480238  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:50 am 

Reports saying the fee for Sanchez is £20m. What an absolute mess we have made of this. Has Sanchez been worth £40m for his contribution this season? Because that is what we’ve written off by pulling out of the £60m offer in the summer.

In transfer windows past I thought arsenal had reached a new low. The summer after the 8-2 Man U springs to mind. Also the season we decided all the squad needed to be champions was a gk. however, the window just gone tops them all I think. So much was staring arsenal and wenger in the face for what had to be done, and he failed in almost every aspect.

I get the point that it doesn’t matter who we sign if Wenger is still the boss nothing will change. But transfers give fans some excitement and no matter what wenger does to the team, replacing a donkey of a CB with a much better one would improve the team.

I’m encouraged by talk of a clear out, coq out for £10-12m, a few prem clubs wanting Walcott....both good sales. Elneny, Chambers, debuchy all need to go. Simply replace those 5 who are first team
Players but have contributed very little this season both in minutes and quality, and the squad is stronger.

Post #480239  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:56 am 

kiwipete wrote:
what is her name by the way ... Conchita ..Popsical , Clarabell ]

Much more traditional.

I dimly remember there is a Kiwi fille in among all the various Granty and Kurty boys there god help her.

What's she called - Mitchell? Swarfega?

Post #480240  Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:05 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Northern Ref wrote:

I get the missus to do mine.

Any road, nice to talk to somebody from a more manly part of t'world where fools are not suffered gladly and jokes are frowned on unless it involves a bit of non-PC "fancy dress" and a bonfire. (My home town of Eckythump is twinned with Mungallala).

Two London teams in t'cup tonight - tricky one for northern refs he might have to even up the cards a bit.

No doubt yon Lomekian will be on screaming like a tart in a toaster.

[ 570665 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12003, 12004, 12005, 12006, 12007, 12008, 12009 ... 14267  Next