Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 101 guests

Post #522281  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:17 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Agreed. But, given the pile-up of fixtures, Arteta was always going to have to choose between his strongest XI in this match and the league fixture on Tuesday. So it comes down to whether you think we're more likely to win the FA Cup than finish seventh. I can see why Mikel gambled on seventh. And, frankly, I'm getting a bit bored with winning this tin-pot trophy every other year. Four times since Ariana Grande's first UK number one - what more do you want?
The fixtures pile up for Soton too, who are also wanting Europe, so I can't go with that. To answer your question - five times please! I never tire of winning the FA Cup - greatest, and most interesting competition in football.

Yes, five would have been good! Still, the fact that Arteta had to allow for a string of Europa League games as well (nine, hopefully) meant he had a bit more on his plate than Hasenhuttl.

Post #522282  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:36 am 

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.4466822

Sadly pretty true.

Post #522283  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:45 am 

I'm always intrigued by the ability of some clubs to spend vast sums of money. Take Aston Villa for example. Last season they spent £143m and recouped £3m in the market. People will point out that this was their first season back in the prem so they benefit from the increase revenue that brings, but that is the same (if not more) for every existing prem club who spent nowhere near that amount. And to prove that wasn't a one off that they now count the cost for they spent another £74m this year with only £2m recouped in sales. They're close to spending another £18m on a French midfielder (who's name escapes me).

So I'm not necessarily comparing this to Arsenal because we know we have spent over the years and had a wage bill that dwarfed any spending by other clubs, but why can Villa spend this much when clubs like Burnley, Newcastle, Palace and Brighton barely spend anything when they've been established in the top flight for a lot longer? Villa may have better sponsorship deals, but not £100m a season better.

We all know how City and Chelsea's owners have propped them up over the years, surely there are other clubs' owners doing the same thing just on a smaller scale. Everton are another example, over the last 4 seasons they have a net spend of £225m with no european football and zero success. How are they sustainable or in line with FFP?

Post #522284  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:56 am 

https://www.planetfootball.com/videos/w ... under-23s/
Balogun's goal for the U23's.

I get that there is this stand off between player and club which is basically "commit and we'll play you" versus "play me and i'll commit" but eventually Arsenal are going to be the ones who lose out in this.

If Balogun gets minutes and leaves for free or if he doesn't play and leaves for free he is going to get a very good deal at a very good club, there is nothing we can do to stop that. But if the only way to get him to sign a deal is to give him minutes then we need to take that first step. If Arsenal are worried about setting a precedent for other young players in terms of them delivering ultimatums 'play me or i'll leave' I think that is nonsense because Balogun is worthy of a place in match days squads.

What makes it all the more silly is Nketiah is down to the last 18 months of his contract now, so in the summer Arsenal are going to need to make a decision on him and for my money that decision should be to sell to the highest bidder which opens up the route to the first team even more clearly for Balogun. The Same is true of Lacazette who will only have a year left. And then consider Aubameyang is 31. The pathway to regular first team football couldn't be any more clear.

Post #522285  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:44 am 

Rich wrote:
I'm always intrigued by the ability of some clubs to spend vast sums of money. Take Aston Villa for example. Last season they spent £143m and recouped £3m in the market. People will point out that this was their first season back in the prem so they benefit from the increase revenue that brings, but that is the same (if not more) for every existing prem club who spent nowhere near that amount. And to prove that wasn't a one off that they now count the cost for they spent another £74m this year with only £2m recouped in sales. They're close to spending another £18m on a French midfielder (who's name escapes me).

So I'm not necessarily comparing this to Arsenal because we know we have spent over the years and had a wage bill that dwarfed any spending by other clubs, but why can Villa spend this much when clubs like Burnley, Newcastle, Palace and Brighton barely spend anything when they've been established in the top flight for a lot longer? Villa may have better sponsorship deals, but not £100m a season better.

We all know how City and Chelsea's owners have propped them up over the years, surely there are other clubs' owners doing the same thing just on a smaller scale. Everton are another example, over the last 4 seasons they have a net spend of £225m with no european football and zero success. How are they sustainable or in line with FFP?

Stan has a bit less money on his own than Abramovich but his wife Ann, an heiress to the Walmart retail chain in the US, is also a multi billionaire many times over. The Kroenke’s together have more than Roman. Maybe Ann could lend Stan a few bob?

Indeed, Stan on his own, not even with Ann, has a lot more money than Everton’s owner Farhard Moshiri. In short, Arsenal has a richer owner than clubs perceived as financially doped. It’s just that Stan is unwilling to put his own money into Arsenal. I understand some people will approve of that.

But regardless of the pros and cons of rich owners doing that, as a result I’m always a little uneasy when I see moans about us not being able to compete with financially doped clubs. If Kroenke wanted us to, we could do. For me it’s not that we can’t compete; it’s that we don’t. It’s his choice.

Post #522286  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:59 am 

Rich wrote:
https://www.planetfootball.com/videos/watch-folarin-balogun-skips-past-defenders-scores-stunning-goal-for-arsenal-under-23s/

I get that there is this stand off between player and club which is basically "commit and we'll play you" versus "play me and i'll commit" but eventually Arsenal are going to be the ones who lose out in this.

If Balogun gets minutes and leaves for free or if he doesn't play and leaves for free he is going to get a very good deal at a very good club, there is nothing we can do to stop that. But if the only way to get him to sign a deal is to give him minutes then we need to take that first step. If Arsenal are worried about setting a precedent for other young players in terms of them delivering ultimatums 'play me or i'll leave' I think that is nonsense because Balogun is worthy of a place in match days squads.

What makes it all the more silly is Nketiah is down to the last 18 months of his contract now, so in the summer Arsenal are going to need to make a decision on him and for my money that decision should be to sell to the highest bidder which opens up the route to the first team even more clearly for Balogun. The Same is true of Lacazette who will only have a year left. And then consider Aubameyang is 31. The pathway to regular first team football couldn't be any more clear.

If Balogun is better why hasn't he played ahead of Nketiah?

Post #522287  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:18 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Rich wrote:
https://www.planetfootball.com/videos/watch-folarin-balogun-skips-past-defenders-scores-stunning-goal-for-arsenal-under-23s/

He’s out of contract and leaving.

There’s no point playing a player who doesn’t want to be with us

Post #522288  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:24 am 

Rich wrote:

If he’s not going to sign a contract why should Arsenal have to play him and give him minutes ? Either he wants to be involved or not.

The real question for me is why isn’t martinelli getting another try up front instead of Nketiah. When he played centrally he looked far more assured than Nketiah who doesn’t look anywhere near premiership standard.

Post #522289  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:41 am 

gooner7 wrote:
And the clear favouritism from Arteta and Edu :20hospitals:

Seems to me that it's a good idea for them to try and show support for Willian - a very good player who has hit a rare patch of bad form during a really poor spell for the entire team. Getting him back to performing to the ability he showed for Chelsea during his 7 years there is definitely in the best interest of the club. Thought his performance against Southampton was a step forward for him.

Post #522290  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:46 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

It might be worth asking why Balogun doesn’t want to be with us, if he doesn’t? Could it be a lack of playing time? If it is, would he have stayed had he Nketiah’s playing time? If so, it takes me to Gunfire’s question. If Balogun is better than Nketiah, why hasn’t Arteta played him more?

Post #522291  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It might be worth asking why Balogun doesn’t want to be with us, if he doesn’t? Could it be a lack of playing time? If it is, would he have stayed had he Nketiah’s playing time? If so, it takes me to Gunfire’s question. If Balogun is better than Nketiah, why hasn’t Arteta played him more?

Same answer really Bernard. If he has no future with the club and is leaving for zero transfer fee why should the club give him valuable experience. I don’t think we should be playing him if that’s the case.

Post #522292  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:55 am 

Hazuki wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
And the clear favouritism from Arteta and Edu :20hospitals:

Seems to me that it's a good idea for them to try and show support for Willian - a very good player who has hit a rare patch of bad form during a really poor spell for the entire team. Getting him back to performing to the ability he showed for Chelsea during his 7 years there is definitely in the best interest of the club.

I’m no longer considering his previous form for chelsea. He’s dreadful

The worst Brazilian since Stevie Wonder tried to shave his wife’s minge

Post #522293  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:59 am 

Frank Lampard to be sacked. Enjoy yourself Thomas Tuchel.

Post #522294  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:01 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Seems to me that it's a good idea for them to try and show support for Willian - a very good player who has hit a rare patch of bad form during a really poor spell for the entire team. Getting him back to performing to the ability he showed for Chelsea during his 7 years there is definitely in the best interest of the club. Thought his performance against Southampton was a step forward for him.

I think people are writing off Willian as useless far too quickly. As you imply he produced enough over a long time at Chelsea to show he has the ingredients to be a fine player for Arsenal. Unless age has caught up with him and since joining he’s grown older by five years rather than five months.

Post #522295  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:17 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Same answer really Bernard. If he has no future with the club and is leaving for zero transfer fee why should the club give him valuable experience. I don’t think we should be playing him if that’s the case.

My question has more to do with why he wasn’t given more playing time before he decided to leave, if he has and if he is better than Nketiah?

Post #522296  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:54 am 

Zed wrote:

Bad news. Tuchel could do something with them.

Post #522297  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:55 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

But he wants to stay if he gets game time.

Post #522298  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:12 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

But he wants to stay if he gets game time.

His agent is asking prospective clubs for 100 grand a week. It’s another Gnabry type situation rather than about game time.

Post #522299  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:16 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

My question has more to do with why he wasn’t given more playing time before he decided to leave, if he has and if he is better than Nketiah?

That’s absolutely the most pertinent question than why won’t we play him now. Seems crazy considering his recent performances. Worth remembering though he’s still only 19 so has time on his side but it seems a Gnabry situation.

The club might feel let down by him and his agent if they reneged on promises made to sign hence not playing him who knows

Post #522300  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:27 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Zed wrote:

Bad news. Tuchel could do something with them.

You'd certainly think he'd be better placed to get more out of the high priced signigs they made in the summer, particularly the German duo.

Lampard did pretty well with the young English players he had, the transfer ban was a blessing for him, then he was handed £220m and it didn't work out.

Lots of comparisons between Arteta/Solksjaer/Lampard - Solskjaer has had a lot more experience than the other two. One big difference I've noticed is how many managers, players, ex players say Arteta really will be the business and the way he talks about football is top class. I have rarely heard that about the other two. Of course, talk is cheap and he still needs to produce the results

Post #522301  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I think people are writing off Willian as useless far too quickly. As you imply he produced enough over a long time at Chelsea to show he has the ingredients to be a fine player for Arsenal. Unless age has caught up with him and since joining he’s grown older by five years rather than five months.

Agreed, he's not performing at the moment but you don't go from decent to awful over night. Someone needs to sit down and watch all his best performances for Chelsea over the last 2 seasons and study the position he played with and without the ball, the position he generally received the ball in, where his full back was, the typical passes/crosses he was making and the movement around him.

If you can pick like-for-like situations and Willian is consistently messing it up with us when he wasn't with Chelsea then the severe drop off would carry more weight. My nagging feeling is the team isn't set up to get the best from Willian. There needs to be a bit of blame from both sides because there are things a player can do to play himself in to form and it doesn't usually start with goals and assists.

Post #522302  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
Lots of comparisons between Arteta/Solksjaer/Lampard - Solskjaer has had a lot more experience than the other two. One big difference I've noticed is how many managers, players, ex players say Arteta really will be the business and the way he talks about football is top class. I have rarely heard that about the other two. Of course, talk is cheap and he still needs to produce the results

Of the three, Arteta is the only one where I've seen some semblance of a method with the way he improved our organisation and defensive structure in very little time. We went from being a complete mess defensively to being pretty hard to score against, and not by luck, desperate last ditch defending or a goalkeeper that constantly bails us out. That doesn't happen unless you have some managerial ability.

Post #522303  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:16 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

Of the three, Arteta is the only one where I've seen some semblance of a method with the way he improved our organisation and defensive structure in very little time. We went from being a complete mess defensively to being pretty hard to score against, and not by luck, desperate last ditch defending or a goalkeeper that constantly bails us out. That doesn't happen unless you have some managerial ability.

I’m getting tired of pointing out that you are not allowed to be positive about Mikel Arteta on this forum without countering it with a negative. For example your post should have ended with something like “doesn’t happen unless you have some managerial ability but I still think he doesn’t have a coherent plan and is probably a deviant too”

Please can you remedy this in future ..

Post #522304  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:16 pm 

Özil did *%^@ all for the club so better to say nothing than the saaccharine crap the club is trotting out to the media.

Post #522305  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:32 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Özil did *%^@ all for the club so better to say nothing than the saaccharine crap the club is trotting out to the media.

Know what you mean. It’s like a virtue PR contest. Just doesn’t need to happen

Post #522306  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:32 pm 

After signing Čech, Luiz and Willian as players recently, now Chelsea have sacked Lampard as manager what’s the betting on Arsenal giving him a contract as a player?

Post #522307  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:12 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

OGS is a funny one. He reminds me of Biden in the sense that the label on the tin should be 'underestimate at own peril'.

People keep writing him tactically, but, while it is too early to tell, the evidence suggests he certainly has something. I haven't watched united enough to know what that is. Possibly with a team like United, and given the quality of the league the season, Solsjaar's resilience and ability to motivate and keep the peace amongst the players are sufficient?

Post #522308  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Know what you mean. It’s like a virtue PR contest. Just doesn’t need to happen

I disagree. It would be extremely poor form to do otherwise.

Post #522309  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:52 pm 

Bound to be lots of Arteta/Lampard comparisons in the next few weeks (and every time Arsenal get a bad result and journalists look at the table and see us below Chelsea) - but the comparisons need a heavy dose of realism. Firstly Arteta won the FA Cup against Lampard's chelsea, that brings a certain amount of patience in itself. Then look at the starting point each manager inherited, some may say Lampard operated his first season under a transfer ban, in reality he had first use of £60m Pulisic and got through a loophole to be able to sign Kovacic for £40m because apparently a transfer ban allows you to permanently a player you had on loan the season before!? Finally, Lampard has then had £220m to spend on his squad and Arteta had £75m odd and has had the £50m main signing out injured all season.

Post #522310  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:02 pm 

Decaf wrote:
OGS is a funny one. He reminds me of Biden in the sense that the label on the tin should be 'underestimate at own peril'.

People keep writing him tactically, but, while it is too early to tell, the evidence suggests he certainly has something. I haven't watched united enough to know what that is. Possibly with a team like United, and given the quality of the league the season, Solsjaar's resilience and ability to motivate and keep the peace amongst the players are sufficient?

I'm still puzzled by Ole and whether hes actually any good or not. It might seem churlish to suggest otherwise considering where he has Man U at the moment but he things that swing me the other way are:
Constantly conceding early and first in games. Forget the comebacks, managers work all week to pick the best 11 and tactics for a game. If Man U keep conceding first and have had some awful first halves where they should have been buried by the opposition Ole is constantly getting it wrong. Fair enough he makes some corrections and is bailed out by a stirring comeback
Individual brilliance. This is a tough one, but it seems that a lot of Man U's victories come from moments of individual quality than any sustained pressure or tactical nous. The other side of this is a manager sets his team up to get those moments of individual brilliance from players
General dominating games. Man U just haven't. They beat Wolves with a last kick of the game deflection in a very drab game, snatched a win v Villa that could have gone either way, Brighton hit the woodwork 5 times against them in a 3-2 win with an after the final whistle penalty. West Ham and Southampton should have seen them off with ease in their matches.
Only 1 goal and zero wins in 5 games against the other 'big 6' so far.

it is hard to argue when they are top of the league and keep getting results but this is a far cry from anything Liverpool or Man City have been doing for the last 3 seasons - or many previous champions.

Post #522311  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:05 pm 

Hopefully the club have got this all planned out. It would be awkward if we can’t actually play him.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier ... d=msedgntp

Post #522312  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
After signing Čech, Luiz and Willian as players recently, now Chelsea have sacked Lampard as manager what’s the betting on Arsenal giving him a contract as a player?

:53big-emoticons:

Post #522313  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:10 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/arsena ... i-contract
Arsenal looking to terminate Mustafi's deal now to free up space for new signings. If we want space in the squad for new signings we shouldn't be letting Mustafi being here or not stop that. Just don't include him in the prem squad like we did with Özil and Sokratis. I understand that isn't ideal and is a slap in the face for any professional footballer but it is better than it stopping us bringing in a player we want.

Even if we paid some of them off if we come out of January having moved on Özil, Sokratis, Kolasinac and Mustafi then in terms of 'outs' that is a good start to some squad churn

Post #522314  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:04 pm 

If we manage to pay off Mustafi that’d be a massive positive. He can’t leave soon enough the useless cart horse.

Post #522315  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:04 pm 

There is a strong chance Saints will be missing 3 of their regular back 4 on Tuesday. Vestegaard is injured, Bertrand is suspended and Walker-Peters is struggling with an injury. Bednarek and Stephens almost certainly play CB as they did in the cup, then they're bringing in Valery who hasn't started a game this season and someone else for the full-back positions.
They haven't got much depth beyond the front 6 they played against us in the cup. There is no excuse for being over run or out run considering a lot of our players will be fresh and they will be playing twice in 4 days

Post #522316  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:13 pm 

Darren wrote:
If we manage to pay off Mustafi that’d be a massive positive. He can’t leave soon enough the useless cart horse.

Absolutely brain dead defender

Remember when he did this in the first minute of a game !

Attachments:

Post #522317  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:27 pm 

Darren wrote:

I'd agree but I'm not allowed to.

Attachments:
handovermouth.jpg
handovermouth.jpg [ 20.16 KB | Viewed 5194 times ]

Post #522318  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:29 pm 

Is Man Utd for real?

Post #522319  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:32 pm 

Darren wrote:

You must think Wenger was a right prat, being it was him that paid £35m for him?

Post #522320  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:34 pm 

Sokratis has signed for Olympiacos. We might meet him in the Europa league

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13055, 13056, 13057, 13058, 13059, 13060, 13061 ... 14269  Next