Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 166 guests

Post #512961  Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:20 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Nothing unlucky about Luiz signing a new contract, if it’s true he has. It was surely the club’s decision to offer him a new deal. Luiz couldn’t force them to, and you can’t blame him for signing it.

The conclusion can only be that Arteta rates Luiz more highly that some of us. Again, that isn’t bad luck. It’s the head coach’s opinion. I disagree with it myself. Personally I’d rather keep Mustafi, although maybe we still will.

Going back to my previous point, maybe it reflects the financial restrictions of the owner. He would presumably rather extend Luiz’s contract than buy someone new as it’s cheaper. Poor old Stan does only have ten billion after all.

I expect you are correct in that Arteta sanctioned it. I will be surprised if Arteta is still in a job at Arsenal by next Easter. I am calling him already. The Brighton game did my head in because it was obvious Arteta was happy to play for a 1-1 draw after we conceded. I repeat we see no style of play and the players he rates and plays have failed us before.

Do you know that Emery had thirteen Premier League games in charge this season from which we won eighteen points. Arteta has had twelve Premier League games in charge from which we’ve won seventeen points. If we draw at Southampton on Thursday, our points total from Arteta’s first thirteen league games will be exactly the same as the points total from Emery’s last thirteen league games, which had got him the sack.

If we win at Southampton Arteta’s points per game will be a bit better, and if we lose it will be a bit worse. But whatever happens the difference isn’t that big or noticeable. The biggest managerial plonker at Arsenal this season was Ljungberg. We got five points from his five games.

I realise it’s not a perfect measure, mainly because it takes no account of the opposition in their fixtures. From memory Arteta had both our games against Chelsea but Emery had games against Liverpool and Tottenham, which Arteta hasn’t yet. They’ve both had one each against both of the Manchester clubs. So again, not that different. Indeed, Emery had a game against Leicester, which Arteta hasn’t.

Post #512962  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:50 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I expect you are correct in that Arteta sanctioned it. I will be surprised if Arteta is still in a job at Arsenal by next Easter. I am calling him already. The Brighton game did my head in because it was obvious Arteta was happy to play for a 1-1 draw after we conceded. I repeat we see no style of play and the players he rates and plays have failed us before.

Do you know that Emery had thirteen Premier League games in charge this season from which we won eighteen points. Arteta has had twelve Premier League games in charge from which we’ve won seventeen points. If we draw at Southampton on Thursday, our points total from Arteta’s first thirteen league games will be exactly the same as the points total from Emery’s last thirteen league games, which had got him the sack.

If we win at Southampton Arteta’s points per game will be a bit better, and if we lose it will be a bit worse. But whatever happens the difference isn’t that big or noticeable. The biggest managerial plonker at Arsenal this season was Ljungberg. We got five points from his five games.

I realise it’s not a perfect measure, mainly because it takes no account of the opposition in their fixtures. From memory Arteta had both our games against Chelsea but Emery had games against Liverpool and Tottenham, which Arteta hasn’t yet. They’ve both had one each against both of the Manchester clubs. So again, not that different. Indeed, Emery had a game against Leicester, which Arteta hasn’t.

I know I am harsh but just not seeing anything to brighten the horizon. The players he seems to favour are just not good enough or he has not been able to improve them. Luiz - what can I say. Ceballos - a nothing player who will cost us. His Martenelli stance - not just now. And I can go on. Tactically I have seen nothing. But he is looking like Emery II. The players he is bringing in for the defence are ordinary and we are signing them to long contracts but have not got Saka in contract.

Post #512963  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:59 am 

I had no idea the beloved Philly mob boss the late Angelo Bruno had ties to the Krays and Wilf Pine.

Post #512964  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:27 am 

I know this is a bit of a questionable source but it may have some legs. Reported Arteta will move on Guendouzi.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... y-22242351

Post #512965  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:23 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I know I am harsh but just not seeing anything to brighten the horizon. The players he seems to favour are just not good enough or he has not been able to improve them. Luiz - what can I say. Ceballos - a nothing player who will cost us. His Martenelli stance - not just now. And I can go on. Tactically I have seen nothing. But he is looking like Emery II. The players he is bringing in for the defence are ordinary and we are signing them to long contracts but have not got Saka in contract.

I agree with most of this. But tactically I did like the simple move to have Xhaka sit in at left third CB to cover Saka when he bombed forward from left back. It was only simple but did seem to be a thoughtful solution and a cut above what Emery was capable of.
And might be a role that Luiz can fill, as a temporary left CM who can sit in as a third CB to cover an attacking LB. Though overall I wish he had not extended his contract.

Post #512966  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:40 am 

Did we really have a choice but to extend Luiz's contract and offer Mari one? Without either next season and very few other options, and no from what I read we are not close to any significant central defense signings, we had no choice.

I don't like it but when you don't make buying good if not great central defenders a priority and keep having your head turned by any available somewhat inexpensive attacker on the market you get this.

We should have hung on to Kos, in hindsight, he's miles better than what we have even though he wasn't as good as he once was.

If I'm not correct, didn't we pay the most for a defender in Mustafi? Whoever scouted him should be shot. 36 od million quid for that. We haven't spent big on defenders in years. We have always bought stop gaps. Sol came to us, and he was on a free. Since the back line retired, we haven't bought a well established top defender since Gallas and his best years had passed by and he only came because of other factors. We have bought 'promise' or disgards from other clubs (Sylvestre). Saliba is highly rated but young. We keep rolling the dice, hoping to get lucky like we did with Kolo. We need to stop BSing and spend 40 mil on a defender or more like we do for attacking and creative players.

Post #512967  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:59 am 

Özil offered new 4 year contract

Post #512968  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:08 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Özil offered new 4 year contract

Doubling his salary to £700k a week and with the option of playing and training "only when he feels like it".

Post #512969  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:15 am 

I do have a tiny bit of sympathy with our transfer policy last summer, we went big on Pépé who looked like he might be a worldbeater. If he had been he might have had a Gareth Bale effect and propelled us into the CL spots. Sadly, it hasn't worked out.....yet.

We bought a very highly regarded LB and brought in on loan a young highly regarded midfielder who should have given us energy and skill in abundance. Neither have worked out for differing reasons.

Luiz was supposedly just a one year stop-gap.

However, the recent signings and contract extensions just look like unambitious moves of a club who are settling for midtable mediocrity.

Post #512970  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:30 am 

Bernard wrote:

One factor is Emery had 3 transfer windows spending £195m on 11 players (not counting Saliba). He bought and shaped half the current squad (or at least had some say in it). Arteta has had 2 January loans when no money was available and walked in to a squad with far more on and off field problems than Emery started with. No Ramsey, Player Contract issues, the Xhaka problem, morale at an all time low.

I'm not saying Arteta will fair any better than Emery but he needs more time and at least the same backing in the market to shape his squad

Post #512971  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:32 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
The players he is bringing in for the defence are ordinary and we are signing them to long contracts but have not got Saka in contract.

Again to be fair to Arteta I don't think the Saka contract is his role. He's played the guy a lot and I can't believe he's saying anything other than give this kid a long deal to the club

Post #512972  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:35 am 

socrates wrote:
I do have a tiny bit of sympathy with our transfer policy last summer, we went big on Pépé who looked like he might be a worldbeater. If he had been he might have had a Gareth Bale effect and propelled us into the CL spots. Sadly, it hasn't worked out.....yet.

We bought a very highly regarded LB and brought in on loan a young highly regarded midfielder who should have given us energy and skill in abundance. Neither have worked out for differing reasons.

Luiz was supposedly just a one year stop-gap.

However, the recent signings and contract extensions just look like unambitious moves of a club who are settling for midtable mediocrity.

Yes, we were all fairly positive in the summer (I certainly was). Emery wanted Zaha rather than Pépé - similar money but I still think Pépé was the right move of the two if not the best way to spread £70m amongst the squad.
Tierney has been unfortunate, Ceballos for whatever reason hasn't clicked. I had plenty of opposition fans think Luiz was a smart move at the time.
In reality a £70m defender and a stop gap winger would have been the better way.
We're pinning a lot of hopes on Saliba

Post #512973  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:36 am 

One-year deal for @DavidLuiz :8angers:
Long-term deal for @PabloMV5
Long-term deal for @OficialCedric
Loan extension for @DaniCeballos46

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1275693011863777281

Post #512974  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:39 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Not really a fair comparison given Emery had a full season previously.

Post #512975  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:28 am 

Gunfire wrote:
One-year deal for @DavidLuiz :8angers:
Long-term deal for @PabloMV5
Long-term deal for @OficialCedric
Loan extension for @DaniCeballos46

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1275693011863777281

I know I am going thru a negative stage In life but there is not one positive in any of those deals. Long term deals for an injured player, an unproven player, extending the deal on 2 players who have been failures. One of which was reportable earning 10mil per year. I could accept a short deal with option on Mari and Soares until we know if they are good enough.

In 3 years time when we are trying to offload overpaid Mari & Soares who decide they will do an Özil we will look back

Post #512976  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:29 am 

I cannot believe that clown Luiz has be given another year. Presumably Arteta must have had some input on that decision. If so you've got to wonder about him.

Post #512977  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:05 am 

Gunfire wrote:

Maybe not but in Emery’s first season we finished fifth with 70 points. In the season before that we finished sixth on 63 points. It is possible to suggest we improved a bit in Emery’s first season. But regardless of that, my point was that Emery was sacked because of his record in his thirteen games this season and so far under Arteta there’s little sign of much change. If we draw at Southampton it will be exactly the same; if we win a bit better; if we lose a bit worse.

As I said before, I think Arteta needs more time and I don’t want to see him sacked. But I was hoping for a few more signs of improvement than we’ve seen so far. Apart from Manchester United at home, have there been many (or even any) really impressive performances, especially against good sides? Sure we had a good win against Newcastle at home, but how good a side were they at the time? Also, some people talk about wanting us to have a clear style of play. Perhaps I’m missing something but I haven’t noticed one.

Post #512978  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 am 

socrates wrote:
... and with the option of playing and training "only when he feels like it".

So, same as the current contract then.

Post #512979  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:15 am 

Even Pépé set the world alight, it wouldn't have been enough. You MUST have a defense to go with it. A good back line and/or a great team defense. We don't have the firepower to do it Kevin Keegan style.

It's criminal how much the defense has been neglected.

Post #512980  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:55 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Maybe not but in Emery’s first season we finished fifth with 70 points. In the season before that we finished sixth on 63 points. It is possible to suggest we improved a bit in Emery’s first season. But regardless of that, my point was that Emery was sacked because of his record in his thirteen games this season and so far under Arteta there’s little sign of much change. If we draw at Southampton it will be exactly the same; if we win a bit better; if we lose a bit worse.

As I said before, I think Arteta needs more time and I don’t want to see him sacked. But I was hoping for a few more signs of improvement than we’ve seen so far. Apart from Manchester United at home, have there been many (or even any) really impressive performances, especially against good sides? Sure we had a good win against Newcastle at home, but how good a side were they at the time? Also, some people talk about wanting us to have a clear style of play. Perhaps I’m missing something but I haven’t noticed one.

Hi Bernard - Do you think the lack of a really noticeable 'new manager bounce' (save for a decent performance against Man U) is more down to the players or Arteta?
I've seen a lot of pretty average managers get that bounce out of their players. A lot of those managers tend to be old fashioned throw the tea cups british managers so maybe players respond to that initially. I do find myself often quite exasperated with the players lack of motivation, desire, professionalism, energy. Is Arteta not instilling that in them, or does it take longer for players to unlearn their norm and get out of a funk that has hung over the club for far to long?

Post #512981  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:43 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi Bernard - Do you think the lack of a really noticeable 'new manager bounce' (save for a decent performance against Man U) is more down to the players or Arteta?
I've seen a lot of pretty average managers get that bounce out of their players. A lot of those managers tend to be old fashioned throw the tea cups british managers so maybe players respond to that initially. I do find myself often quite exasperated with the players lack of motivation, desire, professionalism, energy. Is Arteta not instilling that in them, or does it take longer for players to unlearn their norm and get out of a funk that has hung over the club for far to long?

It could be either, or more likely a bit of both. Has Arteta failed to inspire them? My guess would be yes. To be fair the two players who have possibly improved the most, who has represented an Arteta bounce, is firstly Mustafi who our friend from across the Atlantic refuses to acknowledge, possibly because he’s his girlfriend’s bit on the side considering how he continues to go on and on about him. The other is Xhaka. Leno has been great all season (apart from the Chelsea at home howler), so has he improved? Probably not. I’d say the of Aubameyang as he was arguably as good under Emery as Arteta.

So is the lack of bounce down to the players generally, mostly Arteta or a bit of both of both? My guess would be a bit of both, but doesn’t that reflect as badly on Arteta as the players?

Post #512982  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
It could be either, or more likely a bit of both. Has Arteta failed to inspire them? My guess would be yes. To be fair the two players who have possibly improved the most, who has represented an Arteta bounce, is firstly Mustafi who our friend from across the Atlantic refuses to acknowledge, possibly because he’s his girlfriend’s bit on the side considering how he continues to go on and on about him. The other is Xhaka. Leno has been great all season (apart from the Chelsea at home howler), so has he improved? Probably not. I’d say the of Aubameyang as he was arguably as good under Emery as Arteta.

So is the lack of bounce down to the players generally, mostly Arteta or a bit of both of both? My guess would be a bit of both, but doesn’t that reflect as badly on Arteta as the players?

Agree that Mustafi and Xhaka are the two he certainly has improved the most - albeit the bar might have been set quite low.
There were lots of stories from his time at City about how he coached certain players almost 1 on 1, the best example being Sterling who went from a 10 goal a season winger in to a 20-25 goal a season winger under his tutelage.
Arteta firstly needs to get Arsenal performing greater than the sum of the parts with the parts he currently has, far too long we've been less than - but perhaps we need to re-evaluate how good the parts are? I would guess peoples estimations are getting lower by the day. Is that an Arsenal thing or is it a player thing. Probably a bit of both, Pépé and Özil being the examples that come in to my head at each end of the club v player scale.

Post #512983  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:37 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Recommend this weeks new Tuesday club.

Davies goes in a comprehensive and totally nailed on rant right from the start about everything going wrong at Arsenal. Tragically funny and more concise about our problems than any pundit or journalist.

Brilliant stuff - as usual.

Angry men ranting but generally, nail on head.

Post #512984  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Agree about the front three. Only thing I think doesn't matter though is the points so we may as well play some youngsters. Not going to get top anything and should stay out of relegation with a win or two. Total write off season.

Are you happy to drop into the bottom half of the table then ?

That’s what will happen if we play them and they lose more games. Is it good for the players to be getting thrashed so much?

I get it and my respect for ljungberg increased when for his final game he simply played all the youngsters because he was appalled at the attitude of the senior pros but are we happy to terminally damage the rest of the season to make a point

Don't really care whether we drop into the bottom half anymore. If the players aren't up to it in training or fitness then leave them out. Not sure how this season could be terminally damaged. It is already a terrible season but one that had Emery in charge for half of it. If Artera wants to try a few things in the remainder of the season and we lose then I don't really care. 10th or 14th makes little difference.

Post #512985  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:44 am 

tomc wrote:
I cannot believe that clown Luiz has be given another year. Presumably Arteta must have had some input on that decision. If so you've got to wonder about him.

And it is the club making decisions like that which makes me care even less. Gutless management.

Luiz was described on Fox Sports over here as a "walking blooper reel". Hard to argue :laughing7:

Post #512986  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:15 pm 

I cannot believe that we have signed, on four year contracts no less, someone who has been injured for six months and not played for us, someone who has played a handful of games and is out injured for three months plus. And we have resigned on a 12 month deal an incredibly expensive accident waiting to happen. I hope he was resigned on reduced terms. He is an ageing clown who is not even Europa League standard anymore.
Jesus Christ we must be *%^@*** desperate.
In two years time no one will take Mari or Cédric off our hands as their wages will be too high. They will sit out their over paid contracts on the bench.
Mark my words neither will have any resale value as we will be paying them more than they will ever get at any other club

Post #512987  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:42 pm 

This is wonderfully depressing. If this is even half true we’re a *%^@*** shambles

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-news-mikel-arteta-sanllehi-mislintat-joorabchian-luiz-a9580756.html

Post #512988  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:52 pm 

Darren wrote:

We are absolutely desperate. We have the wrong profile of personnel in the wrong roles, who are incapable of doing what we need, both on and off the pitch.

Post #512989  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:34 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
Can someone help me out here but why are the plod investigating the banner flown over the Burnley game last night as a hate crime? Genuinely don't understand.

http://www.skysports.com/share/12013169
Thanks for that. So well put and necessary.

Post #512990  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:36 pm 

Darren wrote:

Absolutely appalling.

Post #512991  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:40 pm 

socrates wrote:
...It would not surprise me if Arteta is on the ropes by Christmas, bar some major investment in the summer. He talks a good talk but his team selections and tactics leave much to be desired.
Try this for a more positive view on the tactics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPdPraP6fbk

Post #512992  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:54 pm 

Darren wrote:

:sad5:

Post #512993  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:09 pm 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Recommend this weeks new Tuesday club.

Davies goes in a comprehensive and totally nailed on rant right from the start about everything going wrong at Arsenal. Tragically funny and more concise about our problems than any pundit or journalist.

Brilliant stuff - as usual.

Angry men ranting but generally, nail on head.

The 3 things I found myself nodding my head too were.

1) yes it’s crazy we aren’t playing Aubameyang as a 9 with Özil as a 10. I’m aware Özil is going through the motions a bit but they are all we have at the moment. By all means sell them in the summer but in the meantime.,

2) I agreed with Davies on the defence in that you can have any defender you want but if they have Guendouzi and Ceballos in front of them ANY defender would be screwed.

3) not signing Cahill on a free but paying a fortune for Luiz. Just absolute madness, then his prophetic prediction that we will pay Luiz another 100k a week for a new contract but won’t be able to get Saka to Renew.

Post #512994  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:41 pm 

Petit nails it. Shame we haven't got him in the dressing room

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -joke.html

Post #512995  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:34 pm 

Quite like this Wolves side, and would like them to pip the likes of Man U to top 4. But my word thy manage to turn out pretty much the same 11-13 players week after week for 2 seasons now.
When they got promoted I couldn't name any of their side, now I feel I could name their 1 to 11 in a heartbeat. Such stability in the side and so few injuries helps so much

Post #512996  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:10 pm 

Rich wrote:
Quite like this Wolves side, and would like them to pip the likes of Man U to top 4. But my word thy manage to turn out pretty much the same 11-13 players week after week for 2 seasons now.
When they got promoted I couldn't name any of their side, now I feel I could name their 1 to 11 in a heartbeat. Such stability in the side and so few injuries helps so much

So does not buying rubbish like Luiz

Post #512997  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:43 pm 

I thought not having away fans would help us away but it hasn't. We are piss poor away and I thought we may do a wee bit better but alas it was not to be.

Post #512998  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:31 pm 

Give yerselves a break from all this nonsense.

Watch Netflix The Last Dance. Michael Jordan may be an a****** but he is mesmeric at the focus of these programmes and even to the untrained eye, he is a truly amazing athlete and player.

Post #512999  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:18 pm 

Arteta said He expects Saka’s new deal to be done shortly. Great news. He’s been one of the few positives this season, excelling in a number of positions down the left side

Post #513000  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:22 pm 

DHD wrote:
Give yerselves a break from all this nonsense.

Watch Netflix The Last Dance. Michael Jordan may be an a****** but he is mesmeric at the focus of these programmes and even to the untrained eye, he is a truly amazing athlete and player.

Yeah one of the best things I’ve watched recently.
Jordan’s desire to be the best and will to win is unrivalled, so rare to have that level of determination in any sport.
Interesting that he was quite nasty to his team mates, but to push them on to be the best team. And pretty much every one of his team mates now says, yes he was an a** but he was right, he made us all better players and winners.
The Arsenal could do with a few with this attitude

[ 571657 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12822, 12823, 12824, 12825, 12826, 12827, 12828 ... 14292  Next