Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gaz from Oz, Googlebot and 166 guests

Post #517081  Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:16 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Zed wrote:
Welcome to Arsenal Partey.
He flys out Tues or Weds to Africa to play in a world friendly match against Mali on Thursday.

Does he have to quarantine on his return.

Not sure about this.

Post #517082  Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:19 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Ash wrote:

If it’s not him it’s the other guy, Moshiri? Think they’ve had big big spends for a while going back to Allerdyce and I think before.

But you’re right I really don’t think of Everton as a ‘money’ club, but especially if ffp has finally completely pulled out its false teeth they’ve got two billionaires behind them. Plus they’ve got a start of a foundation of success which is what Chelsea and City needed to get that bit of credibility to start attracting mostly whoever they wanted.

Hard to take them really seriously because they’re Everton, but like City they’ve got the added incentive of their nearest revivals being super successful. Don’t know what to expect of them this season, they’re candidates for flying for a while and then feeling the pressure at some point later in the season. Biggest bonus for them right now is Calvert-Lewin banging in the goals, I thought the Prem was a step beyond him for a while.

If they can build their proposed new ground without it affecting them like it did us then we’ll know that there is serious money there.

I suspect that Usmanov would have been a better outcome for us despite his ‘background’.

At least Usmanov is a football aficionado, whereas Stan K isn't.

Post #517083  Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:22 pm 

Zed wrote:
Gunnersaurus is back! Well played Mesut Özil.

Well played my arse ! He’s having a dig!

He refused a 12.5% pay decrease during lockdown the rest of the players agreed. Even players like holding on 50k a week agreed it and he gets paid 5 times as much

As soon as Özil leaves the better, situation is beyond ridiculous

Post #517084  Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:

He refused a 12.5% pay decrease during lockdown the rest of the players agreed. Even players like holding on 50k a week agreed it and he gets paid 5 times as much

Couldn’t agree more. Özil possibly did this to disrupt the fan base who are beginning to feel a little more optimistic. Divide them into the naive kids and gullible adults who think Gunnersaurus is god’s gift to mascots.

Otherwise there are those who concern themselves with the mascot being linked in some way to the history of a club. Apart from keeping Wenger in post until he was a footballing dinosaur, what the hell do dinosaurs have to do with Arsenal?

Post #517085  Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:40 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Couldn’t agree more. Özil possibly did this to disrupt the fan base who are beginning to feel a little more optimistic. Divide them into the naive kids and gullible adults who think Gunnersaurus is god’s gift to mascots.

It’s just 2 fingers up at the club ( who must be desperate to say something about the lazy little *%^@)

How entitled are these dickheads ? Mesut will live his entire life unable to spend the sheer volume of money Arsenal football club deposited in his bank account down the years because it’s so much

Post #517086  Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It’s just 2 fingers up at the club ( who must be desperate to say something about the lazy little *%^@)

How entitled are these dickheads ? Mesut will live his entire life unable to spend the sheer volume of money Arsenal football club deposited in his bank account down the years because it’s so much

He should be left out of the premier league and Europa squads, and told to stay away from the ground.

Post #517087  Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:08 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He should be left out of the premier league and Europa squads, and told to stay away from the ground.

Buy him a gym membership and tell him he’s not allowed in the training ground either. The gym membership is probably more than gunnersaurus got paid a year by the way

Post #517088  Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:56 pm 

Gunnersauras has given more joy since 2018 to Arsenal than the Kroenkes ever will. Özil aside, 2 fingers up to you Stan and Josh, as you both will do everything to preserve your self-importance of a hold onto a club with a history that will continue to be around after you're both long gone (whenever that will be). Saved a bloke to keep his 30K a year job he's done well. Kroenke's aren't worth taking a pay cut for. Please remember, Stan isn't in this to win trophies.

Post #517089  Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:41 pm 

Football fans are on another planet

Post #517090  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:05 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Football fans are on another planet

Realisation is the first step to recovery

Post #517091  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:22 am 

Sad :22cry:

Eddie Van Halen dies at 65 after cancer battle

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/06/ente ... index.html

Post #517092  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:24 am 

Very excited with Partey coming to Arsenal. Looking forward to a more assured Arsenal defence.

On the flip-side, feel very disappointed with the Saliba situation. Is there more than meets the eye? Even before he starts to feature for the team, I fear it might develop into another Arteta-Guendozi relationship issue. Could be the effects of his omission from the French cup final spilling over.

Post #517093  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Otherwise there are those who concern themselves with the mascot being linked in some way to the history of a club. Apart from keeping Wenger in post until he was a footballing dinosaur, what the hell do dinosaurs have to do with Arsenal?

But it's no ordinary dinosaur. :42laughter:

Post #517094  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:

The club situation with Özil is ridiculous. He is basically a persona non grata now. He is Wenger/Gazidis player, the current management got no time for him. They want him to leave but he doesn't want to lose his salary. Or go on loan to a less fashionable club.

The club should just pay up his contract and sever ties with him. If not he will just stick around until end of season anyway until his contract expires.

Post #517095  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:01 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Why not make him play for the reserves then sack him for not doing anything?

I'd rather a court case and lose it than him taking the piss. A case we could win as we can prove he's not fit for purpose.

Post #517096  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:11 am 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The club situation with Özil is ridiculous. He is basically a persona non grata now. He is Wenger/Gazidis player, the current management got no time for him. They want him to leave but he doesn't want to lose his salary. Or go on loan to a less fashionable club.

The club should just pay up his contract and sever ties with him. If not he will just stick around until end of season anyway until his contract expires.

Goonie,
I agree with some of this. In that Özil, being that he's not incorporated into MA's tactical style if play, including any lack of discipline or desire to be part of a new structure. He just rather sit it out, collecting what some feel are silly wages. Then, he should move on and stop wasting his and the club's time. But, he should not be shot down for saving anyone's job.

Post #517097  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:11 am 

I really don’t understand why Atlético are so mad at us for doing the exact thing they told us to do repeatedly over the summer. We made lots of offers but they stood firm. My guess is they really didn’t think we had the money for the buy-out clause and so were relaxed. The trouble is the buy-out clause was always there so they should have planned against us triggering it in the final moments of the window. Atlético thought they held all the cards but we did all along. If they were so upset about the lack of time to buy a replacement they should have thought about that and either negotiated with us earlier or maintained better relations with us.
I don’t believe any of this nonsense about ‘irreversible relationship breakdown’ if we want each other’s players in the future badly enough we’ll be talking again

Post #517098  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:14 am 

I’m assuming Özil is being a golden child in terms of his contract, not allowing Arsenal to be able to fine him because if ever there was a player who Arsenal could do with hitting with a few fines it is Özil, a 1 weeks wages fine once a month would be a tidy £4m in the bank for us!

Post #517099  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:42 am 

Zed wrote:
But, he should not be shot down for saving anyone's job.

He didn't save anyone's job though. And there's nothing stopping him from paying this guys wages without making a hashtag of it.

Post #517100  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:44 am 

Zed wrote:
Gunnersauras has given more joy since 2018 to Arsenal than the Kroenkes ever will. Özil aside, 2 fingers up to you Stan and Josh, as you both will do everything to preserve your self-importance of a hold onto a club with a history that will continue to be around after you're both long gone (whenever that will be). Saved a bloke to keep his 30K a year job he's done well. Kroenke's aren't worth taking a pay cut for. Please remember, Stan isn't in this to win trophies.
Yes agree with that. Also why knock Özil for doing a decent thing? Presumably other players in the club have enough spare cash to have done similar? The Özil hating is stupid - the guy is fully entitled to abide by his contracted salary.

Post #517101  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:48 am 

bubblechris wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Why not make him play for the reserves then sack him for not doing anything?

I'd rather a court case and lose it than him taking the piss. A case we could win as we can prove he's not fit for purpose.

You are talking absolute nonsense.

Post #517102  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:54 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Why not make him play for the reserves then sack him for not doing anything? I'd rather a court case and lose it than him taking the piss. A case we could win as we can prove he's not fit for purpose.
OK I must have missed it. What has he done to merit the sack? I assume adhering to a contract is not worthy of the old tin tack?

Post #517103  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:59 am 

Rich wrote:
I’m assuming Özil is being a golden child in terms of his contract, not allowing Arsenal to be able to fine him because if ever there was a player who Arsenal could do with hitting with a few fines it is Özil, a 1 weeks wages fine once a month would be a tidy £4m in the bank for us!
True, but fair play suggests the guy has to do something wrong to be fined? Making yourself available for selection on a big salary contract, but not being picked, is not sufficient cause!

Post #517104  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:30 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:
True, but fair play suggests the guy has to do something wrong to be fined? Making yourself available for selection on a big salary contract, but not being picked, is not sufficient cause!

In fact , as was pointed out on Arseblog sometime ago, Özil was an automatic pick until he refused to take a salary cut. He may be able to take action himself. Özil has done nothing wrong, nor has Sokratis and others. I understand they train well . They are entitled to their salary. Pay them out in full if you want them to leave. Would I do the same - probably.

Post #517105  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:08 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

In fact , as was pointed out on Arseblog sometime ago, Özil was an automatic pick until he refused to take a salary cut. He may be able to take action himself. Özil has done nothing wrong, nor has Sokratis and others. I understand they train well . They are entitled to their salary. Pay them out in full if you want them to leave. Would I do the same - probably.

He hasn't done anything wrong, contractually. It is just a shame that a player with that amount of talent has effectively retired long before his time. I can't think of any other top player who did this. Winston Bogarde to a point but he was never at Özil's level.

Post #517106  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:19 am 

dec wrote:
He hasn't done anything wrong, contractually. It is just a shame that a player with that amount of talent has effectively retired long before his time. I can't think of any other top player who did this. Winston Bogarde to a point but he was never at Özil's level.

Agree completely. I actually think his first four seasons here were underrated. He was top, top class, quickest player ever to reach 50 assists in the Premier League (not sure if De Bryune has beaten that record now) but we never really had the team to properly utilise his immense talent. He was never the type of player who would drive a team forward on his own, but not everyone is like that.

Post #517107  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:20 am 

Zed wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Goonie,
I agree with some of this. In that Özil, being that he's not incorporated into MA's tactical style if play, including any lack of discipline or desire to be part of a new structure. He just rather sit it out, collecting what some feel are silly wages. Then, he should move on and stop wasting his and the club's time. But, he should not be shot down for saving anyone's job.

He's doing it as a cheap(for him anyway) publicity stunt to appear like a nice guy while he simultaneously takes the piss out of the club. Özil is an a****** and the sooner gone from Arsenal the better. Mourinho also does charitable stuff but doesn't make him any less odious.

Post #517108  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:23 am 

Hazuki wrote:
dec wrote:

Agree completely. I actually think his first four seasons here were underrated. He was top, top class, quickest player ever to reach 50 assists in the Premier League (not sure if De Bryune has beaten that record now) but we never really had the team to properly utilise his immense talent. He was never the type of player who would drive a team forward on his own, but not everyone is like that.

4 years!? Is that a wind up. We got maybe 18 months out of him before he completely lost interest. Coincidentally around the time when Germany dropped him after through his bs.
Lucky for him Uncle Wenger sorted him out with a cushy job and massive pension.

Post #517109  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:32 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I'd do the same too. Just do the minimum to fulfill the contract's obligations. The club decided to take a hard stance against him and it has backfired. Both parties have done themselves no favour over the whole thing.

Post #517110  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:36 am 

grantyboy wrote:
4 years!? Is that a wind up. We got maybe 18 months out of him before he completely lost interest. Coincidentally around the time when Germany dropped him after through his bs.

He had 8 goals and 9 assists in his fourth league season with us. 19 assists the year before. It was clearly more than 18 months.

Post #517111  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:43 am 

dec wrote:
For me it is not fair to even link Bograde's name with Özil's in this context. At the time there were many negative comments about Bogarde's recognised poor attitude towards his club and fellow professionals - he really was sleeping comfortably on the gravy train. From what we hear there is nothing like that with Özil. He is training and ready to play. It is a case of the manager choosing not to play him - which is Arteta's prerogative - but a policy that is at least questionable.

Something like this happened years ago when Billy Wright chose to freeze the equally creative George Eastham out of his plans in favour of younger, more functional players. Results forced him to change his mind. At the moment Arteta has the luxury of having no such problem, but it is a long season.

Post #517112  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:55 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Something like this happened years ago when Billy Wright chose to freeze the equally creative George Eastham out of his plans in favour of younger, more functional players. Results forced him to change his mind. At the moment Arteta has the luxury of having no such problem, but it is a long season.

You have to admit though, with Özil being completely out of the team he could've ensured a move to another club this summer if he was interested in playing. He knows he's probably not going to play at all this season but chose to stay anyway. People are asking why he would move when it would in all likelihood mean a drop in wages, and my answer to that would be to play football. He's a professional footballer after all, and if he cares as little about playing as it seems, then I'd question whether his mentality is right for a team trying to get back into the Champions League and eventually compete for big trophies.

Post #517113  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:32 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

He had 8 goals and 9 assists in his fourth league season with us. 19 assists the year before. It was clearly more than 18 months.

Are those league stats or all comps. If the former, I find it staggering given what I thought of him by that stage.

Ah yes now I remember it was contract renewal time. He could still do something when he was bothered.

2016-17
Played 33
Goals 8
Assists 9
Yellow 2
Red 0
2015-16
2014-15

Post #517114  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:39 pm 

dec wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I can think of plenty who Arsenal maintained on a medical pension over the years. :laughing7:

Post #517115  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:54 pm 

Sadly, the guitarists that could actually play well are dying off. Eddie and others raised it to a true art form. I recall finishing HS in the Philadelphia suburbs and some of the most heated arguments at the lunch table was about who was the best guitarist. Typically, it was Jimmy Hendrix and everyone else. But some dared to challenge that. And a heavy price was paid if you did. There were face to face, red faced with anger, arguments that I thought there was no way this would end without someone getting one square on the nose.

Eddie van Halen was always in the conversation. I liked Van Halen and Eddie. Great band, they lived the rock and roll lifestyle or at least David Lee Roth did. Eddie, was a happily married man when I was younger and I heard David didn't like that because it didn't fit the image he wanted them to have.

By all accounts he was a good guy. RIP.

Post #517116  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:56 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Are those league stats or all comps. If the former, I find it staggering given what I thought of him by that stage.

Ah yes now I remember it was contract renewal time. He could still do something when he was bothered.

Only league stats, was too lazy to look up the rest but the league stats paints a good enough picture of his performances. Combine it with Europe, just to give the full picture, and his stats aren't bad at all:

2013-2014
33 (1) appearances, 6 goals, 11 assists

2014/2015
25 (1) apps, 4 goals, 6 assists

2015/2016
43 apps, 8 goals, 19 assists

2016/2017
39 (2) apps, 12 goals, 12 assists

2017/2018
31 (2) apps, 5 goals, 12 assists

After that it of course went downhill pretty quickly. So for the contract renewal point, that would've been 2017/2018, wouldn't it? He signed his new contract in February 2018. And honestly, that was another reasonably productive season for him.

Post #517117  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:43 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
From what we hear there is nothing like that with Özil. He is training and ready to play. It is a case of the manager choosing not to play him - which is Arteta's prerogative - but a policy that is at least questionable.

If he was performing in training at his levels of a few years ago, I don't believe for a second that Arteta would freeze him out. Let's not forget that Arteta was his team-mate when Özil was really doing his stuff for us. Arteta knows how good Özil is.

Post #517118  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:00 pm 

I'd welcome Jack back actually. Injuries killed his career and since he is on a free, why not? Some sort of pay as you play or what ever type of contract or something that is reasonable to both sides. Were I one of the newly promoted clubs I'd certainly be interested in him or even a championship side on the cusp of promotion.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1344861/Arsenal-transfer-news-Jack-Wilshere-Mikel-Arteta-West-Ham

Post #517119  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:11 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
You have to admit though, with Özil being completely out of the team he could've ensured a move to another club this summer if he was interested in playing. He knows he's probably not going to play at all this season but chose to stay anyway. People are asking why he would move when it would in all likelihood mean a drop in wages, and my answer to that would be to play football. He's a professional footballer after all, and if he cares as little about playing as it seems, then I'd question whether his mentality is right for a team trying to get back into the Champions League and eventually compete for big trophies.
I can see the argument, though with football having been rendered so fake by Covid, how much is he really missing by not playing right now? Let's be honest this is not football as we know it - without the crowds it is a computer game. In the extremely unlikely situation that I had to choose to uproot myself to play this fake football for less money I might just wait and see how things develop.

Post #517120  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:16 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Let's be honest this is not football as we know it - without the crowds it is a computer game. In the extremely unlikely situation that I had to choose to uproot myself to play this fake football for less money I might just wait and see how things develop.

Disagree completely. There's certainly a big part missing with no crowds, but the intensity of the actual games are the same as ever. Most players don't seem to have any problem caring about actually playing and giving their best to win, so I don't see why Özil should get a pass from this.

[ 571631 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12925, 12926, 12927, 12928, 12929, 12930, 12931 ... 14291  Next