Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 95 guests

Post #524201  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:04 pm 

Derby vs Forest in a league match in the Championship. I have to assume a couple decades ago it would have been a 'must see' game. No?

Post #524202  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:10 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
A little thing I haven't seen discussed about last night, but I think Leno did well not going all in on the Benfica player who scored the second goal. If Leno brings him down, and it wouldn't have taken much contact, it's a penalty and a red card and we're left trying to turn the game around with ten men. It was a very smart split second desicion on Leno's part.

I thought similarly. Leno might have thought about it, but then made the right decision.

Post #524203  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:11 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
We've faced Olympiakos ten times, with the teams winning five times each. They knocked us out last year obviously, but apart from that we had them in our Champions League group in 09/10, 11/12, 12/13 and 15/16. Must be one of the non-English teams we've played the most?

They have the psychological edge over us right now. But once the ball is kicked, we will lord over them.

Post #524204  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:13 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Twelve times apparently, winning three and losing seven. Barcelona nine times, losing six and winning once.

I remember us playing Barcelona in the quarter finals in 2010. After 20 minutes a wag behind me in the crowd shouted out “Can we have our ball back?”.

We had barely touched it and Barca seemed to create and miss chances at will. It was astounding that it was still 0-0, and more so that it stayed that way throughout the first half. It was like watching a masterclass. How we got out of that with a draw having subsequently gone 0-2 down remains a mystery.

That first 20 minutes was maybe the best I've ever seen a team play. Barca were absolutely mesmerising. I nearly just stood up and applauded (which would have been a bit embarrassing, given that it was 7am in Australia, and I was in my lounge-room in my pyjamas).

Post #524205  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:22 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
We've faced Olympiakos ten times, with the teams winning five times each. They knocked us out last year obviously, but apart from that we had them in our Champions League group in 09/10, 11/12, 12/13 and 15/16. Must be one of the non-English teams we've played the most?

On paper our record isn't great with 5 wins for each but I think at least 2 of those defeats have been dead rubber games in Greece, when we played weakened teams at the end of group stages I think. It will be tough but our best performance is better than theirs I think.
Key will be making sure Leno, Gabriel, Tierney, Partey, Saka and Aubameyang are 100% fit to play both legs

Post #524206  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 pm 

Arsenal's most common European opponents
12 Bayern Munich
10 Olympiakos (soon to be 12)
9 Barcelona
8 Ajax
8 Dortmund
8 Milan
8 Panathinaikos

Post #524207  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Yes - but played Bayern more often.

Been on the same pitch you mean. Played is overstating it on occasions. :sad4:

All we needed against Bayern was for matches to finish at half-time. The weird thing about the 10-2 defeat in 2017 was that in the first leg in Munich it was 1-1 at the break, and at the Emirates we were 1-0 up. Rather inconveniently, Bayern scored nine goals in the second half of the two matches.

Post #524208  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:30 pm 

It is important to go far in the Europa League evn if we don't go on to win it because this all still effects UEFA co-efficient rankings. Despite 4 years in Europa we're still ranked 11th. There isn't many extra ranking points for being in Champions League rather than Europa. For example - wining Europa gets your 30 points and winning champions leagu gets you 36. Going out of Europa to Olympikos last year only got us 10 points but getting to the final vs Chelsea got us 26 points.
Basically a steady QF and better in Europa League still stands you in a good position to be one of the better seeded teams when you do make it back in to the Champions League.

What you can't afford is to miss out on Europe all together - zero points and plenty of teams will steam past you.
At the moment Arsenal in the champions league would be 2nd seeds - which is where we were seeded for maybe the last 8 or so years we were in the CL anyway.
https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations ... /#/yr/2021

Post #524209  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:53 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Derby vs Forest in a league match in the Championship. I have to assume a couple decades ago it would have been a 'must see' game. No?

Still is an interesting game for the neutral tbh. That the fixture has any resonance really is down to one man, by and large. The incredible Brian Clough.

Post #524210  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:05 pm 

You can Analyse it but you would have taken that draw in a heartbeat

Must fancy our chances

Post #524211  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:35 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal's most common European opponents
12 Bayern Munich
10 Olympiakos (soon to be 12)
9 Barcelona
8 Ajax
8 Dortmund
8 Milan
8 Panathinaikos

When I first started watching Arsenal we seemed to draw Valencia every season.

Post #524212  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:37 pm 

Darren wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Still is an interesting game for the neutral tbh. That the fixture has any resonance really is down to one man, by and large. The incredible Brian Clough.

Certainly. The pandemic has made me realized I've taken the possibility of live viewing for granted. One of my bucket list items is to take a month or so and see football all over the country, all divisions. Same for Europe. I'd love to take trip through various countries and catch local football.

Post #524213  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
You can Analyse it but you would have taken that draw in a heartbeat

Must fancy our chances

I agree. We avoided Manchester United, Tottenham, Milan and Roma. Can’t ask for more than that.

Post #524214  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:20 pm 

https://streamable.com/c2h6di

Tierney doesn't seem too fond of players diving

Post #524215  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:18 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Yes - but played Bayern more often.

Twelve times apparently, winning three and losing seven. Barcelona nine times, losing six and winning once.

That the one victory was when Messi absolutely tore us to pieces in the opening 20 minutes but Barca somehow only scored one. Then we improbably turned it round. Then Van Persie was ridiculously sent off in the second leg. That still rankles.

Post #524216  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:25 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
I think there is something to be said about not overplaying youngsters who burst onto the scene as such a young age. I think Fabregas's best years were before his 25th birthday, Michael Owen was another whose career was on a steep downward trajectory after his mid 20s.

Saka needs to be carefully managed but at the moment he's our get-out-of-jail player who can't be dropped.

Morning socrates. My guess is the days of top players staying at one club for the whole of their careers, like Adams at Arsenal or Terry at Chelsea, is pretty well over. The selfish way of looking at it is if we overplay Saka now, the chances are we’ll be compromising his injury record at another club, whoever it is he ends up going to.

Maybe I’m looking at it too much from a moral standpoint but I think that would be wrong. In my opinion Saka should be rested. Not in the Europa League which I see as Arsenal’s big priority this season now. But certainly in some Premier League games. Why can’t he rested (you call it dropped) for a league we’re not going to win or even get into the top four? Okay, we have a chance of getting a position for Europa League qualification but I would hope we could pick and choose the right Premier League games to rest him for to avoid severely compromising our chances of getting one of those places.

Kane may yet prove you wrong.

I completely agree regarding Saka. Apart from protecting Saka, we need players like Pépé and Willian to be getting decent minutes in that position in case Saka gets injured.

Post #524217  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:06 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Morning socrates. My guess is the days of top players staying at one club for the whole of their careers, like Adams at Arsenal or Terry at Chelsea, is pretty well over. The selfish way of looking at it is if we overplay Saka now, the chances are we’ll be compromising his injury record at another club, whoever it is he ends up going to.

Maybe I’m looking at it too much from a moral standpoint but I think that would be wrong. In my opinion Saka should be rested. Not in the Europa League which I see as Arsenal’s big priority this season now. But certainly in some Premier League games. Why can’t he rested (you call it dropped) for a league we’re not going to win or even get into the top four? Okay, we have a chance of getting a position for Europa League qualification but I would hope we could pick and choose the right Premier League games to rest him for to avoid severely compromising our chances of getting one of those places.

Kane may yet prove you wrong.

I completely agree regarding Saka. Apart from protecting Saka, we need players like Pépé and Willian to be getting decent minutes in that position in case Saka gets injured.

To be fair, that’s why I said “pretty well over” rather than completely finished. There can always be rare exceptions, be it Kane or someone else. Having said that, it wouldn’t shock me if Kane moves eventually even if it’s not anytime soon.

Post #524218  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:57 am 

Willian has revealed that he really wanted to stay at Chelsea

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/transfe ... li=AAgfLCP

Post #524219  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:45 am 

...and as further proof, he's been playing as such.

Post #524220  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:16 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
In my youth European football consisted of the annual match against Racing Club de Paris. Read all about it in this fine article.

https://blog.woolwicharsenal.co.uk/archives/7957

Post #524221  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:09 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
In my youth European football consisted of the annual match against Racing Club de Paris. Read all about it in this fine article.

What a brilliant read.

Amazing story and to think that they are now an amateur side.
For some reason it brought to mind great names (but faded glories) from my youth such as Ujpest Dozsa and Partizan Belgrade. Major forces in their time.

Post #524222  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:08 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Wonderful article omoh. Many thanks, enjoyed the read. It brings up a question. What is your (or others) guess of when Arsenal became the biggest club in London? In the 30s for sure. But approximately when did we become the biggest and who did we usurp from that perch?

It would be 'cool' to play them again.

Post #524223  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:45 am 

A preview of the 2024 Republican national convention....

Attachments:

Post #524224  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:23 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
...What is your (or others) guess of when Arsenal became the biggest club in London? In the 30s for sure. But approximately when did we become the biggest and who did we usurp from that perch?...
October 1886...or more seriously in 1893/4 when we became the first southern and London team to join the Football League. The next southern team to join was Luton in 1898/9; and then not until 1905/6 did London get members with Chelsea and Leyton Orient. In 1907/8 Fulham joined, and a year later Spurs. West Ham joined in 1919/20. In 1920/1 the League added a third division and that is when more London clubs joined - Palace, QPR, Millwall and Brentford. In 1921/2 the third division was divided into north and south, and Charlton joined.

In all the years since 1893/4 Arsenal have been London's biggest club - we never needed to usurp any other club. From time to time others have been more successful, and while Spurs may be our biggest rivals, they have won comparatively few trophies. Historiccally speaking Chelsea are getting closer to eclipsing us in that regard - possibly by the 2030s.

Post #524225  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:06 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
In all the years since 1893/4 Arsenal have been London's biggest club - we never needed to usurp any other club.

Although we did fiddle our way into the top division at others expense. :12hello-bye:

Post #524226  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:57 pm 

19 years ago today. What a beauty.
https://www.facebook.com/Arsenal/videos/1301889716859253

Post #524227  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:00 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...What is your (or others) guess of when Arsenal became the biggest club in London? In the 30s for sure. But approximately when did we become the biggest and who did we usurp from that perch?...
October 1886...or more seriously in 1893/4 when we became the first southern and London team to join the Football League. The next southern team to join was Luton in 1898/9; and then not until 1905/6 did London get members with Chelsea and Leyton Orient. In 1907/8 Fulham joined, and a year later Spurs. West Ham joined in 1919/20. In 1920/1 the League added a third division and that is when more London clubs joined - Palace, QPR, Millwall and Brentford. In 1921/2 the third division was divided into north and south, and Charlton joined.

In all the years since 1893/4 Arsenal have been London's biggest club - we never needed to usurp any other club. From time to time others have been more successful, and while Spurs may be our biggest rivals, they have won comparatively few trophies. Historiccally speaking Chelsea are getting closer to eclipsing us in that regard - possibly by the 2030s.

OMOH, I remember you saying around the time Ashley Cole left us for them that Chelsea had overtaken Arsenal as London’s biggest club. Me and EEG argued with you about it. But if you thought that back then, considering the trophy count of both clubs since, and their reported overtaking of us in fan base size, what has changed your mind?

Post #524228  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:01 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I think with those under 30 globally Chelsea is bigger. In London, I wonder? I don't live in London so will defer to this forum's Londoners for their opinion.

Post #524229  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:12 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
In all the years since 1893/4 Arsenal have been London's biggest club - we never needed to usurp any other club.

Although we did fiddle our way into the top division at others expense. :12hello-bye:

I choose to ignore that. We have never been relegated. That's the story I'm sticking with.

Post #524230  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:31 pm 

City has moved up on the AG's most hated clubs list. Congrats to them on this achievement.

1. Man Utd / Tottenham
2. Any club fat ass Sam manages
3. City
4. Chelsea
5. Everton

Post #524231  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:37 pm 

Few questions for the forum for the sake of conversation to cure lockdown boredom ... (there’s no wrong answers btw)

1) do you believe Josh Kroenke has the necessary qualifications and experience to appoint a manager and technical director of a major European football club?

2) do you believe you will see Arsenal return to a position where we are competing for major trophies whilst Stanley Kroenke is owner ?

3) do you believe if Wenger was allowed to continue after 2018 we would have improved or got worse than our 6th place ?

4) considering your answers to points 1+2+3 do you believe the timing and content of Michael Artetas substitutions are having a major impact to our direction as a club?

Post #524232  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:43 pm 

Can someone he hasn’t blocked tell him, again, that Arsenal have been relegated? A long time ago, in 1913. But it did happen.

Post #524233  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Can someone he hasn’t blocked tell him, again, that Arsenal have been relegated. A long time ago, in 1913. But it did happen.

:laughing7:

Post #524234  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Can someone he hasn’t blocked tell him, again, that Arsenal have been relegated. A long time ago, in 1913. But it did happen.

:laughing7:

You’ve been blocked though.

Post #524235  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:33 pm 

See Zech Medley scored Kilmarnock’s equaliser in their draw against Dundee United today.

Post #524236  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:59 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I choose to ignore that. We have never been relegated. That's the story I'm sticking with.

You stick to that story. Even if it is totally wrong.

Post #524237  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:15 pm 

This for AG's benefit, as apparently he doesn't seem to research info entirely.

Arsenal was the first club from the South of England to join The Football League, in 1893, and they reached the First Division in 1904. Relegated only once, in 1913, they continue the longest streak in the top division, and have won the second-most top-flight matches in English football history.

Post #524238  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:50 pm 

Lee Mason once again showing his utter incompetence as a referee. Watch the West Brom v Brighton game later if you haven’t seen what happened.
He disallows a goal, then gives it, then disallows it again.....and no one is still any the wiser why

Post #524239  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:16 pm 

Update

Tried to remake the beef stew I mentioned a few weeks back

Incorporated the strategy Bernard, granty, decaf suggested and the inclusions like worcs, flour, even chopped apple made it 100 percent better wow great effort lads.

Weird how a few ingredients here and there can make such a massive difference

Would show a picture but it didn’t last long with the kids about !

Post #524240  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
Lee Mason once again showing his utter incompetence as a referee. Watch the West Brom v Brighton game later if you haven’t seen what happened.
He disallows a goal, then gives it, then disallows it again.....and no one is still any the wiser why

If you want to see refereeing incompetence re-defined, watch a re-run of Wales v England this afternoon.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13103, 13104, 13105, 13106, 13107, 13108, 13109 ... 14269  Next