Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, Rich, warrior and 168 guests

Post #519041  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
That was exactly my point. Players can perform at different levels for alternative clubs. Willian was good at Chelsea and has so far been disappointing at Arsenal. Hence I’m not sure why you questioned my suggestion.

At chelsea he had midfielders like Kanté feeding him.. at Arsenal he has Xhaka so the ball arrive on the halfway line 10 minutes later after Xhaka has trapped it 5 times.

Passing isn’t Kante’s main strength. Despite your gross exaggerations, Xhaka might even be a better passer than Kante. Over longer distances I’d say he definitely is.

Post #519042  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
An interesting stat, just proves at the end of the day this is about individual quality and ability. When your star player receives the ball more from his keeper and a substitute than the team you have to question it.

And question the style of play facilitating it.

Post #519043  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:06 pm 

By the way the stat I’d be interested in hearing is the number of occasions in each game Pépé and Willian take receipt of a successful pass over the halfway line with no more than 6 opposing players in their own half.

That’s the one.

Post #519044  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
An interesting stat, just proves at the end of the day this is about individual quality and ability. When your star player receives the ball more from his keeper and a substitute than the team you have to question it.

The style of play is determined by the players you have on the pitch. Even Wenger said this in his recent podcast where he said it wasnt a change of style after the invincibles period ended that created the wengerball tikka taka it was the players he simply had at the time that created the style based on their characteristics

Post #519045  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:39 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The style of play is determined by the players you have on the pitch. Even Wenger said this in his recent podcast where he said it wasnt a change of style after the invincibles period ended that created the wengerball tikka taka it was the players he simply had at the time that created the style based on their characteristics

Confirms what a self-serving prat Wenger was. He decided to recruit a bunch of skilful midgets who could only play tika-taka. As Martin Keown said, after seeing the Barcelona of the Messi, Iniesta, Xavi era Wenger fell in love with the way they played and decided to copy it with inferior players. Hence the ‘get on her bike Vieira, you’re not the type of player I want anymore.’

Post #519046  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:11 pm 

Just realised that the Wolves match, Nov 29, is wedged in between both EL matches, Molde Nov 26 and then Vienna, Dec 3. At least the Wolves and Vienna matches are at Ems. The Spurs Dec 5 match may not happen. What a run of games. Players being knackered is the least of it all. :5encouragement:

Post #519047  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:11 pm 

Pépé has put out an apology on social media after his red card. Admitted his error and apologised. He’ll surely start the europa games now.

Post #519048  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:12 pm 

Zed wrote:
Just realised that the Wolves match, Nov 29, is wedged in between both EL matches, Molde Nov 26 and then Vienna, Dec 3. At least the Wolves and Vienna matches are at Ems. The Spurs Dec 5 match may not happen. What a run of games. Players being knackered is the least of it all. :5encouragement:

All the more reason to secure europa top spot early then just play the kids and anyone who won’t be anywhere near the starting 11 in the prem

Post #519049  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:16 pm 

Zed wrote:

The 5th December is a Saturday Zed. Won’t the Tottenham game just be moved back to Sunday the 6th?

Post #519050  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:23 pm 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:

All the more reason to secure europa top spot early then just play the kids and anyone who won’t be anywhere near the starting 11 in the prem

It's all important Rich. We're 11th and Wolves at 12th and with a win against Southampton tonight, could move above us obviously. First see who flies out to Norway for the Molde match. MA needs this win.

Post #519051  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:44 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

But he would say that, wouldn't he?

Post #519052  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:00 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He wasn’t claiming credit he was saying the opposite about how things evolve.

Post #519053  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:34 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Indeed. It was Wenger who chose the players he signed. Nobody made him sign a load of skilful midgets and adopt the tika-taka game.

Post #519054  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

But he also wasn't taking responsibility.

And we didn't just happen across a bunch of skillful midgets. He was buying the players to fit the style rather than having to adapt because of the players he had.

If it was 5'7 or less, unstable in a stiff breeze, and had an unpronouncable name, Wenger wanted to buy it. It was only the fact that he had nailed his wallet shut, and that the trolley dashes did not allow us to be so discerning, that saved us from from become completely Lilliputian.

Maybe my memory is faulty :laughing7: :laughing7: .

Post #519055  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:42 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

And we didn't just happen across a bunch of skillful midgets. He was buying the players to fit the style rather than having to adapt because of the players he had.

If it was 5'7 or less, unstable in a stiff breeze, and had an unpronouncable name, Wenger wanted to buy it. It was only the fact that he had nailed his wallet shut, and that the trolley dashes did not allow us to be so discerning, that saved us from from become completely Lilliputian.

No I’d suggest this is totally accurate, it was only after he’d signed rosicky hleb and co that the realisation occurred we didn’t have enough physicality in the side.

I guess the point he was trying to make was not about the players size specifically but that there was not an intentional decision to play differently ie the training methods and instructions didn’t change it was just a product of having smaller and quicker players who could buzz around the pitch

Post #519056  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:53 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Any lack of money would have applied to anyone he bought. I doubt we spent any less money on skilful midgets than we would have done by signing players with more physical presence. For me he turned his back on what made his Highbury years so successful. I strongly suspect Martin Keown is right. He saw Barcelona of the Messi, Iniesta and Xavi years and fell in love with the way they played. He decided that was how he wanted Arsenal to play, so copied them with inferior players to the ones they had. It didn’t work.

Post #519057  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

No I’d suggest this is totally accurate, it was only after he’d signed rosicky hleb and co that the realisation occurred we didn’t have enough physicality in the side.

I guess the point he was trying to make was not about the players size specifically but that there was not an intentional decision to play differently ie the training methods and instructions didn’t change it was just a product of having smaller and quicker players who could buzz around the pitch

And to be fair, in that period we had some real tough luck with injuries and players buggering off inopportunely to Barcelona and Italy. Rosicky and Eduardo and Hleb in particular. Not to mention Flamini.

But didn't the dismal sideways period come later?

Post #519058  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

If you’re right it surely means Wenger was completely lacking in foresight. You’re saying he signed a bunch of skilful midgets and only then realised we lacked physical presence. Maybe I’m being too kind in calling it a lack of foresight. Being thick or incompetent might be nearer the truth.

I still remember a game against Chelsea. We played a back four and before or maybe after substitutions the six in midfield and attack on the pitch at the same time were all the proverbial skilful midgets. I can’t now recall who they were. Who knows? Players around the size of Fabregas, Denilson, Hleb, Rosicky, Arshavin, Eduardo. But whoever it was, Chelsea comfortably beat us. It was like men against boys.

Post #519059  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

If you’re right it surely means Wenger was completely lacking in foresight. You’re saying he signed a bunch of skilful midgets and only then realised we lacked physical presence. Maybe I’m being too kind in calling it a lack of foresight. Being thick or incompetent might be nearer the truth.

I think budget played a part in this period, physical players like drogba and Essien were out of reach financially for us. I think he was naive about the physical side of the game for a while also.

Post #519060  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:26 pm 

We are just incredibly boring to watch aren't we.

Post #519061  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think budget played a part in this period, physical players like drogba and Essien were out of reach financially for us. I think he was naive about the physical side of the game for a while also.

Against what transfers fees were at the time, didn’t we pay a lot of money for the likes of Arshavin and Rosicky. I might be wrong but wasn’t Arshavin our record transfer at the time? I’d be astonished if we couldn’t have found more physically robust players for similar amounts.

I accept some big players would have been financially out of our reach. But so were plenty of small players. We couldn’t get anywhere near the fees needed to buy the likes of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. But the point remains that with the money we had, Wenger spent it on skilful midgets we could afford in preference to bigger players he could afford.

Post #519062  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:31 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

And to be fair, in that period we had some real tough luck with injuries and players buggering off inopportunely to Barcelona and Italy. Rosicky and Eduardo and Hleb in particular. Not to mention Flamini.

But didn't the dismal sideways period come later?

Indeed. He built the team around Fabregas and adopted a style similar to Barca and full of promising young players. The 2008 Arsenal was a very good side and played great attacking football. They fell short with injuries being a killer and let's not forget Chelsea and Man Utd were exceptionally strong back then....they contested the CL final. By 2011, he also had a good side with Ramsey and Wilshire in there but again disastrous injuries. There's no doubt some more physicality would have helped but Arsenal got no help whatsoever from some appalling refereeing of our games back then. From 2011 on is when it started to fade and become slower and slower tika taka. Not sure anything was as bad as Emery's last couple of months though.

Post #519063  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Against what transfers fees were at the time, didn’t we pay a lot of money for the likes of Arshavin and Rosicky. I might be wrong but wasn’t Arshavin our record transfer at the time? I’d be astonished if we couldn’t have found more physically robust players for similar amounts.

Players like drogba and Essien were way more than Arshavin. Even Makélélé cost 17 million and that was several years before Arshavin came to us.

When Wenger finally realised we were missing physicality in came Chamakh. Our drogba :laughing7:

Post #519064  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Arshavin remained our record transfer for 4 or 5 years though and didn't he only cost something like £16m? We spent virtually nothing for several seasons.

Post #519065  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:39 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Arshavin remained our record transfer for 4 or 5 years though and didn't he only cost something like £16m? We spent virtually nothing for several seasons.

Yes drogba signed for chelsea several seasons earlier for 24 million. We were spending next to nothing and Arshavin was a final fling of the dice to get champions league which worked. We were spending a bare minimum.

Arshavin would look like a maestro in our current side.

Post #519066  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:43 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Reyes cost £17m so if Arshavin was our record signing he must have cost more than that. I remember Reyes and Hleb because, I don’t know the reason why, but when their signings were confirmed on Arsenal.com they were the only times I ever recall the transfer fee being disclosed. Normally it was called an ‘undisclosed sum’ if my memory serves.

Post #519067  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

Yes drogba signed for chelsea several seasons earlier for 24 million. We were spending next to nothing and Arshavin was a final fling of the dice to get champions league which worked. We were spending a bare minimum.

Arshavin would look like a maestro in our current side.

To be fair, on his day Arshavin would look like a maestro in any side. Hugely gifted player. On his bad days he was diabolical.

Post #519068  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Players like drogba and Essien were way more than Arshavin. Even Makélélé cost 17 million and that was several years before Arshavin came to us.

When Wenger finally realised we were missing physicality in came Chamakh. Our drogba :laughing7:

I still suspect a player’s perceived quality is far more important in determining his transfer fee than his size. Both out of our price range but I honestly think the smaller Messi would have cost even more than the bigger Ronaldo. If Wenger had wanted to buy bigger players, I’m sure he could have found plenty he could afford.

Post #519069  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:28 am 

Rich wrote:
Pépé has put out an apology on social media after his red card. Admitted his error and apologised. He’ll surely start the europa games now.

Good of him to do so. Hope the red card incident instilled a new desire in him. Push him to play harder on the pitch.

Post #519070  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:30 am 

socrates wrote:
We are just incredibly boring to watch aren't we.

what an understatement :42laughter:

Post #519071  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:11 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

To be fair Adebayor was our drogba and for a while he was very very good, with him scoring 24 goals in the league we went very close to the title. At his peak with us Adebayor totally bullied defences.
Also I think the physical players out of our price range were just the very good, well known and highly sought after. Wenger could have bought more physicality if he wanted. Remember the continual links to Hangeland and Baba Diop both at Fulham, both huge but not as good on the ball as the type of player Wenger was buying at the time

Post #519072  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:28 am 

I've seen us linked with Isco from Madrid and Boateng from Bayern. It really isn;'t the sort of player we should be going after now. You might get a perceived bargain transfer price because these guys leave on free transfers or the bigger club just want them off their books but they are still hugely expensive and if they don't work out they retain no transfer value.

Looking round our squad at the moment there isn't great transfer value, but it really does feel like we need to try to make something happen. Apparently we had an offer for Lacazette from Roma in the summer but turned it down, I don't know how much for but lets say it was £15-20m, probably a knock down price on where we think he's worth but could that £15-20m plus another big saving in wages be put to better use in a young hungry striker?

Post #519073  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:29 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

To be fair Adebayor was our drogba and for a while he was very very good, with him scoring 24 goals in the league we went very close to the title. At his peak with us Adebayor totally bullied defences.
Also I think the physical players out of our price range were just the very good, well known and highly sought after. Wenger could have bought more physicality if he wanted. Remember the continual links to Hangeland and Baba Diop both at Fulham, both huge but not as good on the ball as the type of player Wenger was buying at the time

Indeed. It is a pity he turnout out to be such a *%^@, and that RVP had such bad luck with injuries.
Wenger really was up against in the 2004-2011 period, with injuries and with financially doped rivals poaching our best players.

Post #519074  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:26 am 

Rich wrote:
I've seen us linked with Isco from Madrid and Boateng from Bayern. It really isn;'t the sort of player we should be going after now. You might get a perceived bargain transfer price because these guys leave on free transfers or the bigger club just want them off their books but they are still hugely expensive and if they don't work out they retain no transfer value.

Looking round our squad at the moment there isn't great transfer value, but it really does feel like we need to try to make something happen. Apparently we had an offer for Lacazette from Roma in the summer but turned it down, I don't know how much for but lets say it was £15-20m, probably a knock down price on where we think he's worth but could that £15-20m plus another big saving in wages be put to better use in a young hungry striker?

When Emery took over we proceeded on the basis we would buy young players to raise funds and get returns when they move on. But now Arteta has started buying players who are older, no resale value and most of whom seem to be winding down. They are what I call players to try and save the managers job, if we purchased 25yo players I could see it but WillianSoares Aubameyang and Luiz extended are no where near our corporate objectives. If Arteta does not succeed it is a total disaster for the club. He is buying players like Pep but with no thought to where this leads.

Post #519075  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:58 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

When Emery took over we proceeded on the basis we would buy young players to raise funds and get returns when they move on. But now Arteta has started buying players who are older, no resale value and most of whom seem to be winding down. They are what I call players to try and save the managers job, if we purchased 25yo players I could see it but WillianSoares Aubameyang and Luiz extended are no where near our corporate objectives. If Arteta does not succeed it is a total disaster for the club. He is buying players like Pep but with no thought to where this leads.

To some extent I can understand the methods though. If you have a budget of £50m and you feel you need 5 new players, do you go and get 5 x £10m players who will all fill gaping holes in your squad but none will ever really be good enough unless you unearth an absolute gem. Or do you go and get 2 x £25m players at the right profile who immediately improve the team and (you hope) can form the spine of the side for some time, and then fish around for some free transfer experienced pros who will do a job for you as a stop gap until the next transfer window comes and you have the same budget again?

Post #519076  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:37 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

To some extent I can understand the methods though. If you have a budget of £50m and you feel you need 5 new players, do you go and get 5 x £10m players who will all fill gaping holes in your squad but none will ever really be good enough unless you unearth an absolute gem. Or do you go and get 2 x £25m players at the right profile who immediately improve the team and (you hope) can form the spine of the side for some time, and then fish around for some free transfer experienced pros who will do a job for you as a stop gap until the next transfer window comes and you have the same budget again?

Risks either way I think. We have made such a notch of transfers for years I have little faith left. It is not just poor purchases but not moving players on at the right time. In the last window I think we should have sold Lacazette and M-N to raise some funds. We may have got the elusive other midfielder we wanted.

Post #519077  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:55 am 

Rich wrote:

Won't mind Isco or someone similar. Still only 28, theoretically in his prime.

Post #519078  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:56 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

Risks either way I think. We have made such a notch of transfers for years I have little faith left. It is not just poor purchases but not moving players on at the right time. In the last window I think we should have sold Lacazette and M-N to raise some funds. We may have got the elusive other midfielder we wanted.

Luiz, Mustafi, Sokratis, Kolasinac, Özil definitely out the door next summer (if not before), Lacazette likely to go too and Ceballos unlikely to join. That's around £1m a week off the wage bill. I think we just have to brace ourselves for a rough ride this season, and hope that 1) we get a proper rebuild in the summer and 2) Tottenham don't win the title :23cry:

Post #519079  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:01 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

I rather we embark on a youth project. It served Wenger quite well, ensuring we got top 4 finish. Our fortunes under Wenger worsened when he started to buy established players.

Post #519080  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:16 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I accept some big players would have been financially out of our reach. But so were plenty of small players. We couldn’t get anywhere near the fees needed to buy the likes of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. But the point remains that with the money we had, Wenger spent it on skilful midgets we could afford in preference to bigger players he could afford.

I love our skillful midgets. Fabregas, Rosicky (when fit), Cazorla (who doesn't!)... and even Arshavin. For whatever reason Wenger didn't fancy the enforcer type after Flamini. Remember how excited the fans got when Frimpong, Coquelin and Torreira played a few good games?

[ 571924 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12974, 12975, 12976, 12977, 12978, 12979, 12980 ... 14299  Next