Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 105 guests

Post #513721  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:25 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Total myth. Against City he was pretty good going forward in the first 25. But defensively particularly after the first 25, then down his side they absolutely flooded down and he was out of position and continually left players spare. Then when he went into the back 3, a position he has played for Scotland he was absolutely terrible and outplayed totally. Traore took him apart in Wolves game. In the rush to want a British player as a success in the team he has been granted a Donald Trump immunity by supporters. It was him that failed to jump for Spurs second goal wasn't it. He is getting a free ride because simply the rest of defense is worse but this does not mean he is doing well at all.

Traore took him apart? eh? traore played up front in that game until Jota came on at which point Traore went wide and AMN was bought on to man mark him. Traore had 2 chances all game, 1 in the first 30 seonds straight through the heart of the team and one he chipped over the bar from a left side but hardly the wing back's fault. I thought it was one of the major talking points after the game how quiet Arsenal had managed to keep Wolves danger man Traore.
I saw a graphic yesterday of the 11 chances Spurs created in yesterday's game and every single one of them came from our right half of the pitch

He was taken off against Wolves. Did he jump for the Spurs goal? Simple question - Yes or No. Did he give away a really stupid penalty in an earlier game this season.- yes or no. Better than some other bog average defenders - nothing more.

Post #513722  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:31 am 

Rich wrote:
but also means we'll automatically lose around £30m in guaranteed revenue and who knows how it effects transfers.

I know what the impact is that it’ll have my money on. Just observing the forum, I’ll repeat what I’ve suggested a few times. People go on about selling this or that player and replacing him. I just don’t see it happening to any material extent. My advice is get used to the idea of the big majority of the current squad still being part of the squad next season.

This massive turnover in players that many want to see? In my view, it ain’t gonna happen.

Post #513723  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
but also means we'll automatically lose around £30m in guaranteed revenue and who knows how it effects transfers.

I know what the impact is that it’ll have my money on. Just observing the forum, I’ll repeat what I’ve suggested a few times. People go on about selling this or that player and replacing him. I just don’t see it happening to any material extent. My advice is get used to the idea of the big majority of the current squad still being part of the squad next season.

This massive turnover in players that many want to see? In my view, it ain’t gonna happen.

Hi Bernard,

So what you are really saying is get used to midtable mediocrity.

Post #513724  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:49 am 

socrates wrote:
So, as we suspected, FFP is a complete waste of time because the big clubs with the cleverest lawyers can simply find a way to circumnavigate the rules.

I am sick of PL clubs being owned by foreigners. The govt should never have allowed foreign ownership.

The only chance we have of competing at the top again is to find an owner willing to splash inordinate amounts of cash, and that says it all.

I saw Ivan Gazidis give loads of Q&As at various events including AGMs, end of season events, Diamond Club talks and so on. I think overall he performed badly as Arsenal’s chief executive. But following early optimism when he was trying to justify the self-sustaining strategy, one thing he was unusually frank about was politely saying FFP was a pointless waste of time. The loopholes weren’t just big, they were so big it would take less time to hitchhike from Lands End to John O’Groats than it would take to cross the loophole in a brand new Ferrari.

Post #513725  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:51 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi Bernard,

That’s my advice.

Post #513726  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:13 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
Traore took him apart? eh? traore played up front in that game until Jota came on at which point Traore went wide and AMN was bought on to man mark him. Traore had 2 chances all game, 1 in the first 30 seonds straight through the heart of the team and one he chipped over the bar from a left side but hardly the wing back's fault. I thought it was one of the major talking points after the game how quiet Arsenal had managed to keep Wolves danger man Traore.
I saw a graphic yesterday of the 11 chances Spurs created in yesterday's game and every single one of them came from our right half of the pitch

He was taken off against Wolves. Did he jump for the Spurs goal? Simple question - Yes or No. Did he give away a really stupid penalty in an earlier game this season.- yes or no. Better than some other bog average defenders - nothing more.

He was subbed against Wolves, because he was tiring after a long time out and games in quick succession - not because he was being 'taken apart' as you say. Yes he lost the header to Alderweireld and yes he conceded a silly penalty but I wouldn't lump him in with the other defenders most of us agree are not good enough for us.
I would have thought most people can see that his delivery from wide areas is more often than not pretty decent, and certainly the best final ball I've seen from an Arsenal full back for some time.
He's 19 games in to his Arsenal career and I think he's shown enough, british or not, to think there is something worth pursuing with and not chucking on a scrap heap with the rest of them so soon

Post #513727  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:04 am 

socrates wrote:
Mustafi was so bad in the 2nd half I was half expecting Harry Kane to throw a custard pie in his face.

Sorta like having to choose between shot or stabbed to death, if you had to keep one but the other would have to go, Luiz or Mustafi?

Post #513728  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:07 am 

I'm not even upset at the defending as much as I used to. We don't do well with defensive cast offs from rivals. Sol came to us at the peak of his powers. He wanted to stay in London with his family and win trophies. Since him? Gallas, great for a while, not strong enough mentally to lead a team to a title. Silvestre, 'nuff said. Luiz, 'nuff said.

I''m not going to be too harsh on Arteta until he gets the defense he needs.

Post #513729  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:08 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

More than a little, he was superb at city for the first 25 minutes charging around like a madman. He struggled a bit at wolves but to say he’s no good at crosses is ludicrous. He’s the most capable defender we have.

Our problems are obvious ..

Mustafi, Xhaka, Özil, kolasinac, Luiz and sadly I hate to admit it because I like him Bellerin. Our squad is clogged with players who aren’t good enough technically or motivated.

Total myth. Against City he was pretty good going forward in the first 25. But defensively particularly after the first 25, then down his side they absolutely flooded down and he was out of position and continually left players spare. Then when he went into the back 3, a position he has played for Scotland he was absolutely terrible and outplayed totally. Traore took him apart in Wolves game. In the rush to want a British player as a success in the team he has been granted a Donald Trump immunity by supporters. It was him that failed to jump for Spurs second goal wasn't it. He is getting a free ride because simply the rest of defense is worse but this does not mean he is doing well at all.

We lost the city game because of individual errors from David Luiz and we actually won againest wolves.

If you want to be super critical you could criticise him for that goal yesterday but what on Earth the left back is doing picking up Alderweirld for the corner instead of our 3 centre halves I have no idea. Sheer lunacy and a lack of organisation.

Your talking codswallop mate.

Post #513730  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:29 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think your right ...

Özil ain’t going nowhere with that contract
Kolasinac probably getting paid twice what he should be because he was a Bosman, who will pay his salary and take him off our hands?
Xhaka out of contract in 2023.
Luiz just renewed his contract!,,

Etc etc etc if you know what I mean. We’re talking about replacing players with little transfer value on huge wages. We’re not going to have the budget. I think your right we will be complaining about these guys for some time yet and the revolution won’t be televised because it won’t be happening.

Post #513731  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Kolasinac probably getting paid twice what he should be because he was a Bosman, who will pay his salary and take him off our hands?

And the free transfer market is the dangerous market we're going to be shopping in this summer.
With no Europe, and no recent pedigree that may resonate with younger players the only thing swinging signings our way might be a big pay day.

Post #513732  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:44 am 

So City have still been fined £10m. So one would assume they are guilty of something. It is utterly pointless to fine a side guilty of breaking financial fair play rules. Just toss the whole lot out of the winder and give up. There is no incentive to run a club properly, no incentive to reach higher through proper means because you can just find an oil barren who can take you there immediately - or someone else will find one and push you down further.

Aren't Newcastle's prospective Saudi owners 10 times richer than City's owners? God help football

Post #513733  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
Hi Bernard,

That’s my advice.

Don't agree. I think we are good enough for top 6. I can see 1 or 2 coming in.

Post #513734  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:21 pm 

Every week I change my opinion on where the team needs the most urgent work. Apart from GK you could make a case for all positions.
Seeing the effect Fernandes has had on Man U shows what we lack from attacking central midfielders. The days of a luxury 10, particularly in a 4-2-1-3 formation are long gone. Özil might as well give up on football. No team is having a guy who has such a free reign to play as they feel and not contribute without the ball.
We know we need a holding dynamic midfielder and a new CB. But looking at the way Arteta might want to play - and taking reference from City and Liverpool (and most top teams) the full back positions are key.
Finally those wide forwards. Man U's front 3 are banging in goals and assisting each other. Firminho/Salah/Mané have been doing it for a few years, as have Aguero/Sterling/Sane/Silva/Mahrez whichever 3 they choose.
These teams can attack with just these 3 plus a full back or midfielder and still be incredibly dangerous whilst still maintaining at least 5 players keeping the back door shut.
The attributes of the current squad just don't come close to what the current en vogue style for successful teams is.

Post #513735  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

We lost the city game because of individual errors from David Luiz and we actually won againest wolves.

If you want to be super critical you could criticise him for that goal yesterday but what on Earth the left back is doing picking up Alderweirld for the corner instead of our 3 centre halves I have no idea. Sheer lunacy and a lack of organisation.

:53big-emoticons:

Post #513736  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:03 pm 

Gunfire wrote:

I can see one or two arrivals, but check the posts of numerous people. They appear to be talking about a lot more than one or two.

Post #513737  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:51 pm 

I like looking at the xG stats for games, it gives a better reference than merely shots on target or possession. I think for example when Southampton beat City 1-0 City had an expected goals of 3.5. Meaning they were all over them and on any other day they'd have won comfortably. It was a useful stat in explaining how Emery's 22 game unbeaten run was over achieving the performances. It also shows that in Arteta's games before lockdown Arsenal out performed their xG against. We conceded maybe 12 but the xG would have expected us to conceded about 20 given the chances we gave up. Since lockdown it has returned to a statistical normal with the two stats very similar. I like it because it gives a better indication of luck and longer term patterns you can expect. When Arsenal concede 12 but would have expected to concede 20 that is more about opponents finishing and shows there are still holes to patch up in a defence that for that period isn't getting punished.

One failing of xG is a chance such as Aubameyang's miss kick from Bellerin's cut back early on yesterday. It was clearly a very very good chance, but in terms of xG and the likelihood of it being a goal it ranks as a 0 (on a 0 to 1 scale with a penalty being up around 0.8) because Aubameyang didn't actually take a shot.

Post #513738  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:05 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I can see one or two arrivals, but check the posts of numerous people. They appear to be talking about a lot more than one or two.

There will always be a difference in what fans want, what fans think we need and what the club does or can do. It has been that way ever since I've been a fan and is probably the same for all but 3 clubs in the league. Those 3 clubs can create their fantasy transfer window and often see it actually play out.

Since last summer we've already signed 2 players, Cédric and Mari, and Saliba is coming in. We've been particularly poor at moving players on and part of getting new players in is getting the old ones out. I saw this morning that Elneny will return to us as Besiktas don't want him. We have such a long list of players we don't want or don't need and can't get rid of.

There is a list of players who simply have to go. Then there is a list of players who we would sell if it meant they raised a decent fee to bring in better suited players. Then you're left with about 6-7 players.

I would agree that maybe 2 max incomings would be realistic, but if we cant sell anyone then I'd be surprised if we sign anyone else.

Post #513739  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:35 pm 

Paul Merson: “I don’t care if you’ve got Guardiola sitting on Mourinho’s lap, on top of Sir Alex Ferguson’s lap, on top of Arsène Wenger’s lap & all four of them are one manager; if you’ve got a defender who can’t pass the ball five yards to another defender, you are in trouble.”

Post #513740  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:50 pm 

Oh that UEFA comment on the City appeal outcome.
Just say what was probably really said down to the wire, as a more acceptable argument to overturn the appeal. City don't want to see Pep walk away, players that are in their prime possibly moving on. City won the Carabao Cup, are in the FA Cup semi against Arsenal upcoming, maybe with a win to the final. And in pole position to be in next season's CL, let alone another chance to take the PL title back. Therefore, it's in the best interests to overturn this appeal in favour of the noisy neighbours.
Today money walked and bullshite talked. :14laughter:
Sorry.... :15laughter:

Post #513741  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:24 pm 

If you ask anyone on football to rank the defences of Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs we’d come last in most fans ratings. However we have conceded fewer goals than both chelsea and spurs. So is it because the goals we concede tend to have a high proportion of mistakes?
Obviously we’re behind both in the table so that had a say in it. But Burnley are below us and conceded more but you wouldn’t hear much said about their calamitous defence, on the contrary Burnley are thought of as relatively tight and organised.

I suppose also you can win 3 games 3-2 or lose 3 games 2-0 and you’ve conceded the same amount of goals but the team who is losing will come under much more scrutiny as the defence cost the game

Post #513742  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:38 pm 

Absolutely no coincidence that Man U have got their mojo back by basing the team around pace and power. The front 3 are exceptionally quick, both full backs are quick.
In the spine of the team, maguire, Lindelof, matic, pogba, Fernandes all 6 foot plus powerful players.

Post #513743  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:45 pm 

Romeu on greenwood- very similar contact on the ankle as Aubameyang vs the palace player. Var looks at it nothing given. I can’t help but feel we’ve been on the rough end of the inconsistency of var far too frequently this season.

Post #513744  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:06 pm 

https://arseblog.com/2020/07/tactics-co ... y-blanket/

Interesting read on teams who press us vs teams who don't. Spurs didn't press us and we struggled for creativity, Arteta probably should have switched to a back 4 and put the extra man (willock or Saka) in central midfield to add some direct running. Almost certainly Arteta would have been cautious about doing this given it could have left Mustafi and Luiz 2 v 2 against Kane and Son

Post #513745  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:00 pm 

Southampton score very late equaliser v Man U.
Wonder what the inquest in the media will be after for the Man U defence. Didn’t win the header from the corner and then Lindelof never got goalside of his man who tapped it in. If it was Luiz and Mustafi they would be absolutely panned

Post #513746  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:14 pm 

Rich wrote:
Wonder what the inquest in the media will be after for the Man U defence. Didn’t win the header from the corner and then Lindelof never got goalside of his man who tapped it in. If it was Luiz and Mustafi they would be absolutely panned

It's worth looking at the league table. Liverpool have been phenomenal. City just about OK but quite poor by their standards. After that it's varying shades of mediocre. Whoever finishes third this season won't get to 70 points. Chelsea have lost eleven league games and are still 3rd. Eleven. Really poor campaigns by all the big clubs except for Liverpool.

Post #513747  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:32 pm 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Well the proof will be in the team for Liverpool. Obvious change is Tierney to go into the back 3 if he so good, and Saka to be left midfield. Why that wasn't the set up for the last game defies logic.

Post #513748  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:57 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

:53big-emoticons:[/quote]
Well the proof will be in the team for Liverpool. Obvious change is Tierney to go into the back 3 if he so good, and Saka to be left midfield. Why that wasn't the set up for the last game defies logic.[/quote]
I think the logic was that same set up had won 4 of the last 5. Saka hasn’t played wing back for some time. He was mostly used as a traditional left back when he first broke through mid season.

I’m not sure what proof on Tierney’s ability the team sheet for the Liverpool game will give? Are you suggesting if Tierney is deployed in the back 3 it proves Tierney is rubbish and Arteta doesn’t fancy him as a left wing back? Or that if Tierney isn’t moved in to the back 3 it proves he can’t be up to all that because of the rubbish back 3 we already have? Both seem pretty illogical arguments to justify your view on Tierney

Post #513749  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:01 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

It's worth looking at the league table. Liverpool have been phenomenal. City just about OK but quite poor by their standards. After that it's varying shades of mediocre. Whoever finishes third this season won't get to 70 points. Chelsea have lost eleven league games and are still 3rd. Eleven. Really poor campaigns by all the big clubs except for Liverpool.

We came 5th with 70 points a few seasons back. Agree it is been a poor season for 5 of traditional big 6. But like the Leicester title winning season

Post #513750  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:18 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Well the proof will be in the team for Liverpool. Obvious change is Tierney to go into the back 3 if he so good, and Saka to be left midfield. Why that wasn't the set up for the last game defies logic.[/quote]
I think the logic was that same set up had won 4 of the last 5. Saka hasn’t played wing back for some time. He was mostly used as a traditional left back when he first broke through mid season.

I’m not sure what proof on Tierney’s ability the team sheet for the Liverpool game will give? Are you suggesting if Tierney is deployed in the back 3 it proves Tierney is rubbish and Arteta doesn’t fancy him as a left wing back? Or that if Tierney isn’t moved in to the back 3 it proves he can’t be up to all that because of the rubbish back 3 we already have? Both seem pretty illogical arguments to justify your view on Tierney[/quote]
How about this. SK is a total failure at back 3. But wait we have a player who was sold to us as a LB and could play in a back 3 like he has done for Scotland. With me so far. So how about we play Tierney in a back 3. Well the only reason why Arteta wouldn't do that is because he does not trust him. How can I say that? Well there was a number of stories about us selling him to leicester. Arteta has since confirmed his faith in him but maybe there is truth in this. Arteta has done the same with Xhaka, Mustafi and others. Many of them should be on the way out.

Is Tierney indispensible at left midfield. Nope Saka is much better than him at LB and left midfield. Neither are great defenders. So if Arteta doesn't slip him into the back 3 it is becoming obvious Arteta does not think he is good enough in that position. He will probably survive at the club but he will need to improve substantially as a defender and crosser to give us a player capable at the highest level. he is like many others at the club - limited.

Post #513751  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:48 am 

Rich wrote:
We came 5th with 70 points a few seasons back.

That was actually as recently as last year, the 2018/19 season. Emery’s first and only full season in charge.

Post #513752  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:21 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
We came 5th with 70 points a few seasons back.

That was actually as recently as last year, the 2018/19 season. Emery’s first and only full season in charge.

Your right. Seems a long time ago. I had a look back and we came 5th on 75 points in the 2016/2017 season!

Post #513753  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:27 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

Well the proof will be in the team for Liverpool. Obvious change is Tierney to go into the back 3 if he so good, and Saka to be left midfield. Why that wasn't the set up for the last game defies logic.

I’m not sure what proof on Tierney’s ability the team sheet for the Liverpool game will give? Are you suggesting if Tierney is deployed in the back 3 it proves Tierney is rubbish and Arteta doesn’t fancy him as a left wing back? Or that if Tierney isn’t moved in to the back 3 it proves he can’t be up to all that because of the rubbish back 3 we already have? Both seem pretty illogical arguments to justify your view on Tierney[/quote]
How about this. SK is a total failure at back 3. But wait we have a player who was sold to us as a LB and could play in a back 3 like he has done for Scotland. With me so far. So how about we play Tierney in a back 3. Well the only reason why Arteta wouldn't do that is because he does not trust him. How can I say that? Well there was a number of stories about us selling him to leicester. Arteta has since confirmed his faith in him but maybe there is truth in this. Arteta has done the same with Xhaka, Mustafi and others. Many of them should be on the way out.

Is Tierney indispensible at left midfield. Nope Saka is much better than him at LB and left midfield. Neither are great defenders. So if Arteta doesn't slip him into the back 3 it is becoming obvious Arteta does not think he is good enough in that position. He will probably survive at the club but he will need to improve substantially as a defender and crosser to give us a player capable at the highest level. he is like many others at the club - limited.[/quote]

Complete gobbledygook, real authentic outlaw gibberish this :laughing7:

Doesn’t even make sense, If Arteta doesn’t take him out of his best position he must not rate him. Eh you what ! If Arteta isn’t playing Martinelli at centre half then he clearly can’t rate him.

To compound it all Tierney has just been voted our player for the month for June. :laughing7:

Post #513754  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:28 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Is Tierney indispensible at left midfield. Nope Saka is much better than him at LB and left midfield. Neither are great defenders. So if Arteta doesn't slip him into the back 3 it is becoming obvious Arteta does not think he is good enough in that position. He will probably survive at the club but he will need to improve substantially as a defender and crosser to give us a player capable at the highest level. he is like many others at the club - limited.

There is a lot of speculation, opinion and 'ifs' in that.
So you're saying if Arteta doesn't go with Tierney in a back 3 and Saka at LWB v Liverpool that is all the evidence you need to prove that a) Arteta doesn't rate Tierney and b) he isn't good enough for Arsenal?

Post #513755  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:42 am 

I know Gaz from Oz will disagree with me, but I actually think that Tierney is a better left back than Saka because, in my opinion anyway, he is a better defender than Saka. I’m a bit of a traditionalist, so for me the most important quality for a full back is how good a defender he is? Attacking prowess is a valuable add on, most certainly. But I think less relevant than competence as a defender.

I’m not saying Tierney’s defending is remotely comparable to the likes of Sansom, Cole and Winterburn, let alone Lahm and Maldini. But seeing Saka at left back convinced me that will not become his established position in the long-term. He performed commendably there but in my view that was much more to do with his abilities going forward than his defending. At left back Saka’s defending was okay, but a long way from outstanding. I see any suggestion he was a brilliant defender as a gross exaggeration.

I also reckon Tierney is a good crosser of the ball. Not a left sided version of David Beckham but he consistently slings dangerous crosses into the box when he’s in a wide attacking position. I believe there’s room for both of them in the same team. Tierney as a left sided defender (full back) with Saka as a left sided attacker in front of him.

For me the bigger potentially negative issue regarding Tierney relates to his fitness more than his quality as a player. Gaz from Oz was always concerned about that from his injury record at Celtic. Looking at his initial season at Arsenal, I can understand why. To date he’s only made ten starts and come on a sub twice in the Premier League. So he’s played a dozen league matches. With only three league games left, that surely adds up to a disappointing first season at Arsenal regarding his injury record.

Post #513756  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:58 pm 

Marc Roca from Espanyol is supposedly a holding midfielder we're looking at. He had a release clause of 40m euros, but Espanyol have just been relegated so his price could be cut in half.

Whether we have money or not this is the sort of smart way we need to shop

Post #513757  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:50 pm 

Rich wrote:
Marc Roca from Espanyol is supposedly a holding midfielder we're looking at. He had a release clause of 40m euros, but Espanyol have just been relegated so his price could be cut in half.

Whether we have money or not this is the sort of smart way we need to shop

There seem to be a few young spanish players we’re being linked to, is it just the presence of Arteta you wonder. I’m eternally dubious about transfer links, it will depend on the confirmation of Europe or not who are targets are. Crazy to think if we miss out on Europe and we’ve got the outstanding young defensive prospect in Europe arriving. Now that FFP is basically dead in the water, Stan can’t hide behind that as a reason not to inject some funds, maybe he’ll pump some money in.... I jest.

Post #513758  Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:49 pm 

I think we can get something out of the Liverpool game. Home advantage and them starting to think of the holidays. City - well we have done it before and they do give up some chances.

Post #513759  Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
I know Gaz from Oz will disagree with me, but I actually think that Tierney is a better left back than Saka because, in my opinion anyway, he is a better defender than Saka. I’m a bit of a traditionalist, so for me the most important quality for a full back is how good a defender he is? Attacking prowess is a valuable add on, most certainly. But I think less relevant than competence as a defender.

I’m not saying Tierney’s defending is remotely comparable to the likes of Sansom, Cole and Winterburn, let alone Lahm and Maldini. But seeing Saka at left back convinced me that will not become his established position in the long-term. He performed commendably there but in my view that was much more to do with his abilities going forward than his defending. At left back Saka’s defending was okay, but a long way from outstanding. I see any suggestion he was a brilliant defender as a gross exaggeration.

I also reckon Tierney is a good crosser of the ball. Not a left sided version of David Beckham but he consistently slings dangerous crosses into the box when he’s in a wide attacking position. I believe there’s room for both of them in the same team. Tierney as a left sided defender (full back) with Saka as a left sided attacker in front of him.

For me the bigger potentially negative issue regarding Tierney relates to his fitness more than his quality as a player. Gaz from Oz was always concerned about that from his injury record at Celtic. Looking at his initial season at Arsenal, I can understand why. To date he’s only made ten starts and come on a sub twice in the Premier League. So he’s played a dozen league matches. With only three league games left, that surely adds up to a disappointing first season at Arsenal regarding his injury record.

:58big-emoticons:

Post #513760  Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:11 am 

The price for Ceballos is 23 million apparently being reported

That’s going to be a really tough call. He seems priced reasonably for his age but I’m not sure has shown enough generally whilst being promising in certain games.

It could be a good or bad piece of business considering what other ins and outs need to take place.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12841, 12842, 12843, 12844, 12845, 12846, 12847 ... 14269  Next