Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, Rich and 172 guests

Post #519641  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:05 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
So fans allowed back in. And Millwall take the opportunity to loudly boo players taking the knee. How utterly depressing.

*%^@*** morons. Still the knuckle draggers they always were. They shame football, Britain and indeed the human race.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11735/12152113/millwall-fans-boo-as-players-take-a-knee-in-support-of-fight-against-racial-injustice

Post #519642  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:12 pm 

Surely the sweeney tops the list.

Ridiculous remake though with Ray Winstone basically going “grrrrr” for 2 hours.

Post #519643  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:28 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
DHD wrote:

Anyone remember Joe Baker knocking out man-mountain Ron Yeats in a Cup game?

1963 I think.
Yes. A while ago I wrote this about it: "Amongst the many dramatic matches between Arsenal and Liverpool, the FA Cup clash of February 1964 ranks mountain high. It was an epic barney set before a large floodlit crowd. North squared up to south, rock collided with rock, and a blatant injustice prompted a moment of magnificent violence. Pre-match Wright hinted that his tactics would focus on his inside men playing quick, accurate football through the middle. On the night he banked on his speedy wingers’ ability to outrun the slowish Liverpool backs. It could have worked, but typically absent-minded defending let in St. John for the only goal of a raucous evening. Arsenal pressed hard, and according to Ure they ‘paralysed’ Liverpool, only to be denied a penalty when the referee missed Moran clearly punching a Baker shot off the line. Two minutes later the same forward was cut down in the area, and again no penalty. When Yeats fouled Baker fifteen yards inside Liverpool’s half they looked at each other with eyes full of fire and then traded blows. Though Yeats was the bigger man Baker was not one to let the same dog bite him twice. Referee John Taylor decided they were obviously not nonchalant gentlemen picking pears in an orchard and sent both off. The Times described the tie as having ‘more of the drama of a popular uprising than a game of football.’ True, and how we loved it! In the mayhem Liverpool manager Shankly ran on to the pitch to attend Yeats. The referee asked him what he was doing there and Bill explained ‘I merely said I was rearranging the team. He said ‘That’s alright’, and with my job done, I walked off.’ Yeats showered and dressed, left the ground and grabbed a cup of coffee in a nearby café. He returned in time to greet his jubilant team at the final whistle."

Thanks Old Man. If I may observe, the piece doesn’t fully chime with my memory of the violence of the encounter. It was a full blown fist fight with our Joe (cast in the role of David?) bringing down - decking / destroying - the much bigger Yeats who was a very scary ‘enforcer’ figure and the totem of that very tough Liverpool team.

Proper fight. Proper punches. Proper knock-out. And our bloke won. Had been in the street outside, you just know Joe would’ve kicked his head in. Me and my mates talked about it for ages.

Post #519644  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:37 pm 

A mate of mine was friends with an ex millwall player who went on to have a decent career in the premiership and at international level. I won’t name him but he told me he instructed his parents to stay away from the den so they didn’t have to witness acts of racism towards him or in general. Not really surprised at that today.

That said I thought Les Ferdinands intelligent comments about the issue were spot on that the message was being diluted by its over use and message lost.

Post #519645  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Ridiculous remake though with Ray Winstone basically going “grrrrr” for 2 hours.

For me The Sweeney tops the list by a huge distance. Couldn’t agree more about the Ray Winstone film. Utter garbage. A much younger Ray Winstone was actually in one of the television episodes of The Sweeney. It was called Loving Arms. He had a fairly minor part and it wasn’t one of my favourite episodes, but it wasn’t one of the worst either. Good but not great in my view.

Post #519646  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

For me The Sweeney tops the list by a huge distance. Couldn’t agree more about the Ray Winstone film. Utter garbage. A much younger Ray Winstone was actually in one of the television episodes of The Sweeney. It was called Loving Arms. He had a fairly minor part and it wasn’t one of my favourite episodes, but it wasn’t one of the worst either. Good but not great in my view.

I have to say I’m quite partial to a Ray Winstone movie that shocking sweeney remake aside. He’s very good in sexy beast but the one that had me was “nil by mouth” where he plays an alcoholic husband on a south London council estate. I can’t think of a film that stirs such emotions and portrays a dysfunctional family as well. They nailed it.

Post #519647  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I have to say I’m quite partial to a Ray Winstone movie that shocking sweeney remake aside. He’s very good in sexy beast but the one that had me was “nil by mouth” where he plays an alcoholic husband on a south London council estate. I can’t think of a film that stirs such emotions and portrays a dysfunctional family as well. They nailed it.

I think Ray Winstone is a fine actor too. But that Sweeney film where he played Jack Regan was abysmal. Also the actor they got to play George Carter in it. He was so young he looked as though he could have still been in primary school.

Post #519648  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:00 pm 

Just watched some of the Chelsea game. Good game to watch and both teams are in a different league to us.

Post #519649  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:25 pm 

DHD wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
So fans allowed back in. And Millwall take the opportunity to loudly boo players taking the knee. How utterly depressing.

*%^@*** morons. Still the knuckle draggers they always were. They shame football, Britain and indeed the human race.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11735/12152113/millwall-fans-boo-as-players-take-a-knee-in-support-of-fight-against-racial-injustice

Probably won’t happen but I’d laugh my head off if Millwall had fans banned from their home games for a further period.

Post #519650  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:40 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Hugely depressing.

Those who think they are better than the next person/s are in themselves, flawed.

Post #519651  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:34 am 

long time gooner wrote:

I’d rank them as
1 Morse
2 Endeavour
3 Lewis

Kevin Whately (never better than in Auf Wiedersehn) was quoted as saying that he hated police procedurals and wouldn’t watch such stuff.

I'm on it. I'm enjoying Endevour partially because I like the Sherlock Holmes-esque shows and movies and partially because its a glimpse of British culture and life years ago.

Post #519652  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:35 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Tories? :icon_mrgreen: (joking for those who take an ideological offense, I have no horse in that race)

Post #519653  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:47 am 

With all the slow motion replays, var and goal line tech the officials still couldn’t decide if the ball had crossed the touchline yesterday for man u’s equalising goal vs West Ham yesterday. Moyes said it was miles out as the ball floated over his head.
If you haven’t seen it the ball is about 5 yards in from touch near man u’s penalty area, their gk comes out and launches it 60 yards down the touchline it bounces about 2 yards in from the touchline, 1 pass later and Man U score. The question is whether the ball went out of play and came back in like you see from corners.
Given the spin or curls on the ball which is evident from when the ball lands and curls quite far back in to play I’d say it probably did go out of play as it is just impossible to kick a ball pretty much dead straight for 60 yards and for it to only take on any curl you put on the ball AFTER it bounces.

Post #519654  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:52 am 

Man U’s last two league results are both good away wins against teams in form. But I think they are the reason people don’t rate solksjaer. He has all week to set his tactics, pick his team and analyse the opposition and against Southampton and West Ham he’s been thoroughly outplayed. Granted he turned it around at half time to come back and win but it feels more like moments of individual brilliance from the players than any great managerial thinking

Post #519655  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:15 am 

It’s funny I saw MOTD do some analysis on Giroud, showing lots of his play to show how great he was yesterday. It’s strange because I saw plenty of missed chances as well, and if the Leeds had won or equalised then you could have just equally used the same analysis to show how Giroud wasn’t clinical enough and it cost chelsea the game.

Post #519656  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:31 am 

Leeds player gets kicked in the box but not enough to go down so he stays on his feet and strikes at goal which is saved. Var doesn’t look at it. If he goes down it forces var to look at it and it is 100% a penalty with the threshold that has been set with var.

Today we’re playing a team who have a number of player who will throw themselves to the ground in the box at any opportunity, kicked or not. With var in play the risk reward is so heavily in the attacking teams favour we need to start doing the same. I don’t like it but what the point in not playing the system to your advantage. Literally any touch in the box and we must go down.

Post #519657  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:34 am 

Only 2 players have created more chances than Szoboszlai in the champions league this season. No player has created more chances in the Austrian league than him and he has the most assists.
I really hope we make a move for him in January. Sister club Leipzig will be favourites but I think we’d stand a chance

Post #519658  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:37 am 

A Man Utd supporting friend I used to pick up to go to the pub with in LA (now back in London) thinks the job is way over OGS's head.
He thinks its a matter of when not if OGS goes. As far as us, he likes Arteta a lot and thinks he will be good. Says there seems to be something going on internally with us. He asked me if I knew and I of course said no idea. But there is something. He also thinks we have a bad owner.

Post #519659  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:32 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
A Man Utd supporting friend I used to pick up to go to the pub with in LA (now back in London) thinks the job is way over OGS's head.
He thinks its a matter of when not if OGS goes. As far as us, he likes Arteta a lot and thinks he will be good. Says there seems to be something going on internally with us. He asked me if I knew and I of course said no idea. But there is something. He also thinks we have a bad owner.

I hope your friend is right ... but United have so much talent and the league table doesn't lie... if OGS can get the like of Pogba performing at their full potential United are definitely contenders. We definitely aren't.

Post #519660  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:36 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I'd forgotten about the Sweeny. It's very much on the list for the summer holidays if I can find it anywhere.

Post #519661  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:05 am 

Decaf wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I hope your friend is right ... but United have so much talent and the league table doesn't lie... if OGS can get the like of Pogba performing at their full potential United are definitely contenders. We definitely aren't.

4 straight league wins after the defeat against us. We need to string a similar run of wins soon. Starting today would be nice.

Post #519662  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:57 am 

It occurs to me that Millwall need to consider excluding yesterday’s 2,000 fans from being considered for any more limited attendances.

Unfair to those who didn’t boo but it is simple and does make a statement.

Post #519663  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:20 am 

Isn't Millwall the outfit that doesn't care if they are liked or not? :42laughter:

Post #519664  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
Leeds player gets kicked in the box

Ouch !

Post #519665  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:10 pm 

Attachment:

Post #519666  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:22 pm 

Good effort Warrior. :58big-emoticons:

Post #519667  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:36 pm 

Arteta bottles his selection but Aubameyang plays as does Lacazette but none of the kids...........................

Post #519668  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:37 pm 

Leno, Bellerin, Holding, Gabriel, Tierney, Saka, Xhaka, Partey, Willian, Lacazette, Aubameyang

Could be 3-4-3 with Saka as a wing back
Could be 4-3-3 with Saka in midfield

Bit disappointed to not see AMN or Elneny in there for the energy and speed they can bring to midfield. Really not sure what Willian has to do to get dropped at the moment. Need him to step up today

Perhaps it is the 4-4-1-1 with Lacazette as the 10 behind Aubameyang and Willian and Saka playing as wide men

Post #519669  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:38 pm 

Edit: Saka plays

Atkinson refs. Don't suppose there's a chance he hates Spurs more than he hates us?

Post #519670  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:39 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Arteta bottles his selection but Aubameyang plays as does Lacazette but none of the kids...........................

Nelson not even in the squad.

I find it frustrating when players are seemingly picked on name and past form rather than what they're doing right now.

Post #519671  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:41 pm 

To be honest it really pisses me off. I can't see me enjoying this game and I will be terribly disappointed if we lose.

Post #519672  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:44 pm 

Why play Xhaka for ffs when you got Elneny and AMN who bring more energy and pace.
Willian gets selected again when Nelson had a good game on Thursday.
So Willian goes to Dubai against orders and doesn't even get dropped despite stinking the place out.
Guendouzi does what he does against brighton and doesn't get another chance again.
Wheres the consistency with Arteta's non negiotiables????
Right now Willian and Xhaka are passengers in this team.

Post #519673  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:17 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
To be honest it really pisses me off. I can't see me enjoying this game and I will be terribly disappointed if we lose.

Partey does give some hope as does Saka. But Aubs, Lacazette and Willian do not inspire at the moment. Neither does Xhaka. They need to start earning their keep. :20hospitals:

Post #519674  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:25 pm 

Only hope is Lacazette playing like he did on Thursday?

Post #519675  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:44 pm 

:20hospitals:

Post #519676  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:48 pm 

The Harry Kane love in is sickening

Post #519677  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:50 pm 

Harry Kane is a diving prick, he won a penalty endangering a jumping player a few weeks ago, I do respect his great play, he’s a great player, but someone needs to do him please. He’s getting ridiculous decisions now.

Post #519678  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:50 pm 

john1 wrote:
The Harry Kane love in is sickening

It’s ludicrous. You’d have thought he was the greatest living human

Post #519679  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:53 pm 

Xhaka having a Xhaka game.

Post #519680  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:54 pm 

Willian having a Willian game.

Sigh

[ 571933 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12989, 12990, 12991, 12992, 12993, 12994, 12995 ... 14299  Next