Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 111 guests

Post #480441  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:49 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Darren wrote:
I honestly think there's a link between Arshavin's form whilst playing in a country where state sponsored doping was rife and encouraged and his form dropping off after a few months in a new country where it's not.

Ain't rocket science.

Are you saying he was on drugs. Maybe all our players are, would explain stuff. Horse tranquillisers possibly.

More plausible that simply the premier league is a different kettle of fish to Russian football

I think Wenger is definitely on some kind of hallucinogenic drug because he is definitely not seeing what everybody else is seeing. :laughing7:

Post #480442  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 am 

If your doing a bad list for arsene then you should do a good list

1)Vieira
2)Anelka (500k!)
3) Henry
4) Pires
5) Kolo Toure

For me...

Sol I never really considered a Wenger signing as it had David Deins finger prints all over it but those 5 are distinctly Wengers buys. Honourable mentions for Sanchez and Özil but their size of fees makes it difficult to consider when compared to those 5 buys.

Post #480443  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:02 am 

Given his profile I found it really weird that Baptista struggled to make any impression on the team. Arshavin proved to be a disappointment as on his day he was world class, yet after a promising start he lost interest and looked like he would rather be out shopping for designer ripped jeans on Bond Street. Santos is probably the obvious candidate though.

Post #480444  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 am 

Other bad signings Eboue and Denilsen. Both didn't financially didn't cost much but denilsen played about 100 times for arsenal and Eboue 132 so it took Wenger and awfully long time to realise those 2 players were not up to scratch to the detriment of our team.

Post #480445  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 am 

Best signing must be Henry for me. Vieira, Pires, Petit, Anelka, Campbell all great, but Henry more than anyone gave us a chance to win against any team. Didn’t matter how good they were, with Henry on the pitch there was a chance he’d score a goal or two (or three) against anyone when he was on his game. Best player in the world for several years. He could’ve cost twice as much and I’d still see him as our best signing.

He was absolutely robbed of at least two Ballon d’Ors as well, just look at the top three from Henry’s best years:

2002: Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Oliver Kahn
2003: Nedved, Henry, Maldini
2004: Shevchenko, Deco, Ronaldinho
2005: Ronaldinho, Lampard, Gerrard
2006: Cannavaro, Buffon, Henry

The only one who come even close to Henry those years are Ronaldinho, with a nod to Kahn and Buffon as it’s hard to compare keepers and outfield players. Henry was the man.

Post #480446  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Other bad signings Eboue and Denilsen. Both didn't financially didn't cost much but denilsen played about 100 times for arsenal and Eboue 132 so it took Wenger and awfully long time to realise those 2 players were not up to scratch to the detriment of our team.

They were poor in terms of what came before them but by today's team's standards they are probably no worse than what we currently have.

Post #480447  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:28 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Best signing must be Henry for me. Vieira, Pires, Petit, Anelka, Campbell all great, but Henry more than anyone gave us a chance to win against any team. Didn’t matter how good they were, with Henry on the pitch there was a chance he’d score a goal or two (or three) against anyone when he was on his game. Best player in the world for several years. He could’ve cost twice as much and I’d still see him as our best signing.

He was absolutely robbed of at least two Ballon d’Ors as well, just look at the top three from Henry’s best years:

The only one who come even close to Henry those years are Ronaldinho, with a nod to Kahn and Buffon as it’s hard to compare keepers and outfield players. Henry was the man.

Its hard to comprehend looking back how he didn't get at least one. I suppose us being shite in the CL didn't help in terms of his european profile.

Post #480448  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:29 am 

Denilson had a couple of seasons for us where he looked really promising. Stuck with him for a couple of years too long, but our team was based a lot around youth back then, it wouldn't have worked if we got rid of players after their first bad spell. I can understand that one.

Eboue was just *%^@ always. Funny guy though.

Post #480449  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

They were poor in terms of what came before them but by today's team's standards they are probably no worse than what we currently have.

I think that's slightly unfair. Bellerin is better than Eboue and Xhaka (whilst not impressing me) is better than denilson.

I agree with what you said on Arteta and Mert, 2 solid professionals and decent players in the new diminished Arsenal. Either of them would have spent and awful lot of time sitting the bench if they were in the squads of any of Wengers title winning sides.

Post #480450  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 am 

socrates wrote:
Its hard to comprehend looking back how he didn't get at least one. I suppose us being shite in the CL didn't help in terms of his european profile.

I mean, I know my position is probably a bit extreme, but I honestly can’t see how anyone can make a case for Nedved or Shevchenko over him in 2003 and 2004. This was during the years where I regularly watched at least 3-4 games per week, I saw these players a lot. Both of them were great, but the way Henry won games on his own and toyed with some of the best defenders in the world on a consistent basis was something else entirely.

And Deco?? That was the most ridiculous of them all. Not even a top three player in his own team.

Post #480451  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:39 am 

Hazuki wrote:

Henry is a great shout and our best ever player but if you are looking at the business transaction and judging the manager on the ingenuity of it then Vieira and Anelka top it as far as giving props to the manager. Vieira was 3 million and playing in milans reserves and went on to be our greatest midfielder of all time and Anelka was a 500k buy as a 19 year old nobody had heard then sold to Madrid for 23 million with the entire fee building our new training ground and buying Henry. 2 incredible pieces of transfer business, Henry was an amazing buy but the other 2 our absolute testaments to Wengers acumen in recruitment (at that point in time)

Post #480452  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:52 am 

Jeffers is the obvious worst signing for reasons outlined already. I would put Xhaka close to the top. He cost a lot of money and has delivered very little.

Although Arshavin's final season was abysmal, he doesn't really come into the reckoning for me because he was very good for his first year and a half....and that performance at Anfield...

Gervinho is right up there. He was highly rated and had tremendous dribbling ability but quite bizarrely for a professional footballer, he couldn't kick the ball properly. At least we got most of the money back, but he was bad.

Richard Wright was another huge disappointment. He looked like the perfect candidate to take over from Seaman but ended up being 3rd choice.

But for the fact that Liverpool paid us a fortune for him, I'd consider Oxlade Chamberlain a poor signing. We paid £12/15m for him when he hadn't kicked a ball in the PL. That was a lot of money for a totally unproven teenager.

Post #480453  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:58 am 

dec wrote:
Jeffers is the obvious worst signing for reasons outlined already. I would put Xhaka close to the top. He cost a lot of money and has delivered very little.

Although Arshavin's final season was abysmal, he doesn't really come into the reckoning for me because he was very good for his first year and a half....and that performance at Anfield...

Gervinho is right up there. He was highly rated and had tremendous dribbling ability but quite bizarrely for a professional footballer, he couldn't kick the ball properly. At least we got most of the money back, but he was bad.

Richard Wright was another huge disappointment. He looked like the perfect candidate to take over from Seaman but ended up being 3rd choice.

But for the fact that Liverpool paid us a fortune for him, I'd consider Oxlade Chamberlain a poor signing. We paid £12/15m for him when he hadn't kicked a ball in the PL. That was a lot of money for a totally unproven teenager.

Ox is a good shout. Actually you could even suggest Chambers who at 15 million was a lot of money for unproven talent and you could have signed a very experienced right back to cover his development instead.

Post #480454  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 am 

Wasn't the rumour at the time that Wright and Jeffers were not Wenger's choices?

Post #480455  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:01 am 

and Gervinho had quite a good season in Italy after he left us. Frustrating player but not without some skill.

Post #480456  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:01 am 

Hazuki wrote:

Ronaldinho did more than come close. He was the best player in the world for a while. Absolute genius. Ronaldo was better than Henry but not in 2002. Didn't he miss most of that season but was top-scorer in the World Cup?

Henry should definitely have got it in 2003 or 2004 though. He was the best at that stage.

Post #480457  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:06 am 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
and Gervinho had quite a good season in Italy after he left us. Frustrating player but not without some skill.

Very skilful. Brilliant ability to dummy and feint. Couldn't pass or shoot though, which is somewhat useful for an attacker.

Post #480458  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:07 am 

dec wrote:
Ronaldinho did more than come close. He was the best player in the world for a while. Absolute genius. Ronaldo was better than Henry but not in 2002. Didn't he miss most of that season but was top-scorer in the World Cup?

Henry should definitely have got it in 2003 or 2004 though. He was the best at that stage.

Yeah, Ronaldinho has an excellent case from 2004 to 2006. Think Henry edges him for that first year though.

Post #480459  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 am 

I remember Ronaldinho's peak at Barcelona as being longer. He was only there for five seasons, and the last one really wasn't that great. Him being compared to the all-time greats was done very prematurely it must be said considering how short his peak was compared to most of them. Henry as a comparison had seven straight seasons with 20+ goals, and five seasons scoring 30 or more.

Post #480460  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 am 

On the subject of bad signings, rumours that Real Betis want to terminate the Joel Campbell loan and send him back to Arsenal. That's Sanchez replacement sorted.

Post #480461  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:26 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Henry is a great shout and our best ever player but if you are looking at the business transaction and judging the manager on the ingenuity of it then Vieira and Anelka top it as far as giving props to the manager. Vieira was 3 million and playing in milans reserves and went on to be our greatest midfielder of all time and Anelka was a 500k buy as a 19 year old nobody had heard then sold to Madrid for 23 million with the entire fee building our new training ground and buying Henry. 2 incredible pieces of transfer business, Henry was an amazing buy but the other 2 our absolute testaments to Wengers acumen in recruitment (at that point in time)

Ljungberg also. Watched him vs England and signed him immediately for £3m. That was Wenger at his best too, taking an ingenious punt. The result, one of the best goalscoring widemen in the era with important goals and assists |(one in particular) that will live in the memory banks forever.

Overmars and Petit in '97 also have to be up there despite the fact their spells were relatively short.

Post #480462  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:33 am 

Niall wrote:
Ljungberg also. Watched him vs England and signed him immediately for £3m. That was Wenger at his best too, taking an ingenious punt. The result, one of the best goalscoring widemen in the era with important goals and assists |(one in particular) that will live in the memory banks forever.

Overmars and Petit in '97 also have to be up there despite the fact their spells were relatively short.

I know some will disagree but Gilberto was an inspired signing on the back of a WC. No expensive either, was it £6m or something for a WC winner.

Exactly what we need right now in the middle of the park, a strong athlete with some defensive nous and a decent technique.

Post #480463  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:40 am 

Hazuki wrote:
On the subject of bad signings, rumours that Real Betis want to terminate the Joel Campbell loan and send him back to Arsenal. That's Sanchez replacement sorted.

He's better than Iwobi, I'd take him

Post #480464  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
He's better than Iwobi, I'd take him

Andre Santos level player. Tracking back a bit and scoring one good goal was all it took for some.

Post #480465  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 am 

Good news!

Quote:
http://news.arseblog.com/2018/01/wilshere-ill-be-back-in-a-couple-of-days/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Post #480466  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:46 am 

Iwobi on coke is more of a threat than Campbell.

Post #480467  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:48 am 

Igor Stephanovs...as told by Ray Parlour.

https://www.balls.ie/football/ray-parlo ... nal-333476

I wonder if this is true.

Post #480468  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Are you saying he was on drugs.

I suspect he was on PEDs, yes. He admitted himself in an interview a couple of years back that "sport was impossible without doping". Didn't Wenger also say a few years back that when he signed certain players, blood levels were abnormal in a few of them?

Post #480469  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 am 

Darren wrote:
I suspect he was on PEDs, yes. He admitted himself in an interview a couple of years back that "sport was impossible without doping". Didn't Wenger also say a few years back that when he signed certain players, blood levels were abnormal in a few of them?

Yeah but, I mean, this was far from stale and boring Arsenal:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPyludgy0_A[/youtube]

Post #480470  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Are you saying he was on drugs.

They can't have been very effective, I watched him at Barnet and he came back from summer training vastly over weight.

Just read those comments he made which are bizarre and would indicate he may have however wasn't he the Russian captain ? It's par for the course he's going to say something pro Russia as Putin has a habit of putting bullets in heads of those who oppose the state.

Post #480471  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:52 am 

The gooner seem pretty sure Ancellotti is coming this summer

http://onlinegooner.com/article.php?sec ... lig9tGnyhA

Post #480472  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Darren wrote:

They can't have been very effective, I watched him at Barnet and he came back from summer training vastly over weight.

Just read those comments he made which are bizarre and would indicate he may have however wasn't he the Russian captain ? It's par for the course he's going to say something pro Russia as Putin has a habit of putting bullets in heads of those who oppose the state.

It's the only explanation I can find for his dramatic decline in form after a few months. He went from top class to bang average.

Post #480473  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Darren wrote:

Yeah but, I mean, this was far from stale and boring Arsenal:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPyludgy0_A[/youtube]

This was sensational.

Our defending was not.

Post #480474  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:25 pm 

Not sure about these Malcom rumours.
Looks exciting but I think we should be looking at someone a bit more established.
Would love Draxler and Mahrez as replacements for Özil and Sanchez.
They would be my first choices and 2 deals seemingly easy to get over the line.
Havent mentioned Lemar because too many rumours he prefers Liverpool and 90 million is just ridiculous.
80 gets you Draxler AND Mahrez.

Post #480475  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:31 pm 

david.d wrote:
Looks exciting but I think we should be looking at someone a bit more established.
Havent mentioned Lemar because too many rumours he prefers Liverpool and 90 million is just ridiculous.

Mahrez would be a better signing if getting fourth place this season is the target. I don't really care about that though, so give me the potential Brazilian whizkid who can dribble, pass, and score wonder goals with a cracking left foot. Might not pan out, but would at least be exciting to follow.

Post #480476  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:44 pm 

david.d wrote:

Why shouldn't we get them all? We've made £40m in profit this window and are about to make another £50m from sales of Walcott and Sanchez. There is your £90m for Lemar to just break even for the season. Then we could actually spend what should be a reasonable transfer budget of £80m for a club of our size and revenue and get Mahrez and Draxler.

Post #480477  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:55 pm 

If Allerdyce is desperate for Theo we should squeeze the money from them. Everton have lots of money, time for us to be a bit more ruthless. £20m isn't enough. Liverpool want £30m for Sturridge

Post #480478  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:07 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
I remember Ronaldinho's peak at Barcelona as being longer. He was only there for five seasons, and the last one really wasn't that great. Him being compared to the all-time greats was done very prematurely it must be said considering how short his peak was compared to most of them. Henry as a comparison had seven straight seasons with 20+ goals, and five seasons scoring 30 or more.

His peak was relatively short but he was stellar. He was also quite unique. The body swerve combined with the outrageous flicks and stunning control. Magnificent footballer and so much fun to watch.

Post #480479  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:10 pm 

socrates wrote:
Niall wrote:

I know some will disagree but Gilberto was an inspired signing on the back of a WC. No expensive either, was it £6m or something for a WC winner.

Exactly what we need right now in the middle of the park, a strong athlete with some defensive nous and a decent technique.

Excellent signing and I completely agree, he is just what we need now. A no-nonsense player with excellent ability to read the game defensively. And a master of the necessary but innocuous foul.

Post #480480  Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
If Allerdyce is desperate for Theo we should squeeze the money from them. Everton have lots of money, time for us to be a bit more ruthless. £20m isn't enough. Liverpool want £30m for Sturridge

Totally agree. Just offer Everton 30 million quid to take him of our hands and be done with it

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12009, 12010, 12011, 12012, 12013, 12014, 12015 ... 14269  Next