Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 93 guests

Post #501041  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:50 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
DHD wrote:
Attachment:
Class of 2012-2013.JPG

All gone

2012, DHD? Wow. Farewell the Unconvincibles.

Some decent memories nonetheless.

To be accurate McQ (and before Bern steams in), the BFG is still at the club.

Post #501042  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:54 pm 

DHD wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

An important correction!

Post #501043  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:56 pm 

DHD wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Jenkinson too! He was chubby back then, but that's him in the back.

Post #501044  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:56 pm 

DHD wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

To be completely accurate, he isn't currently - he's on a 2-week holiday, back Monday. :58big-emoticons:

Post #501045  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:57 pm 

On holiday in Poland and looking forward to a couple of bottles of Bernard :58big-emoticons:

Attachments:

Last edited by warrior on Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edit - Corrected picture - It was doing my head in.

Post #501046  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:15 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Ash wrote:
Just watched a 9 minute compilation of about 100 tackles from him nd he went to ground... once :love4:

Looks strong and pacy and decent on the ball. Seems like we've left it a tad late tho.

The £70m valuation is crazy, but when Lewis Dunk is valued at £50m and James Tarkowski at £45m then it suddenly starts to look like good value in a twisted way. At least there’s a chance he turns into world class.

10 years ago, £80m got you Cristiano Ronaldo. Today it gets you Harry Maguire :sad4:

Post #501047  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:23 pm 

Our "Captain" has left. He is a pretty quiet one for a Captain.

Post #501048  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:02 pm 

If the only way to get Upamecano was to sell (not loan) Smith-Rowe to Leipzig would you do it? Let’s say based on us paying Leipzig £45m plus Smith-Rowe?

Post #501049  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:04 pm 

A lot of crazy rumours flying around on twitter. I think the Pépé deal has just ignited peoples imaginations and raised expectations beyond reality.

Nice while it lasts but I'm taking them all with a pinch of salt for the time being.

Post #501050  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
If the only way to get Upamecano was to sell (not loan) Smith-Rowe to Leipzig would you do it? Let’s say based on us paying Leipzig £45m plus Smith-Rowe?

Would he even want to go there permanently?

Post #501051  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:21 pm 

Rich wrote:
If the only way to get Upamecano was to sell (not loan) Smith-Rowe to Leipzig would you do it?

Yes

Post #501052  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:40 pm 

Ash wrote:
The thing that struck me was that he moved from ‘sister’ side RB Salzburg. Having effectively a B team is a huge advantage in developing young players.

I'm surprised there has not been more "cooperation" amongst clubs sponsored by Emirates. Surely some sort of arrangements can be worked out with likes of RM (Ceballos on loan, yay!), PSG, Benfica, AC Milan, Hamburg, etc for sale or loan of players...

Post #501053  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:50 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Ash wrote:
The thing that struck me was that he moved from ‘sister’ side RB Salzburg. Having effectively a B team is a huge advantage in developing young players.

I'm surprised there has not been more "cooperation" amongst clubs sponsored by Emirates. Surely some sort of arrangements can be worked out with likes of RM (Ceballos on loan, yay!), PSG, Benfica, AC Milan, Hamburg, etc for sale or loan of players...

True. There really isn't enough corruption in football.....

Post #501054  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:37 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
On holiday in Poland and looking forward to a couple of bottles of Bernard :58big-emoticons:

Hope you enjoy it.

Post #501055  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:34 pm 

Rooney as player/coach at Derby in January. This ought to be fun to watch.

Post #501056  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:48 pm 

Koscielny’s unveiling at Bordeaux has him taking off his Arsenal shirt to reveal a Bordeaux shirt. Seems a bit tasteless but entirely in keeping with his exit from the club. He backed Srsenal in to a corner and I’m glad they dealt with him quickly and seemingly ushered him out the back door. We have to be utterly ruthless with any kind of behaviour like this.

Surely the irony isn’t lost on Koscielny that he seemed to think that Arsenal should have respected his tenure more by giving in to his demands of a free transfer but his actions in forcing the move have shown anything but respect for the club.

He’ll remain a footnote in Srsenals history over a strange period for the club

Post #501057  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:31 pm 

Few reports saying we’re close to the Rugani deal from Juve. 1 or 2 year loan deal with an obligation to buy for €40m.
Risky move but we don’t have the money now so what option do we have. If he is a success €40m will be pennies in two years. If he’s another Mustafi it is going to be embarrassing having to buy a player who we know is rubbish

Post #501058  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:43 pm 

Rich wrote:
Few reports saying we’re close to the Rugani deal from Juve. 1 or 2 year loan deal with an obligation to buy for €40m.
Risky move but we don’t have the money now so what option do we have. If he is a success €40m will be pennies in two years. If he’s another Mustafi it is going to be embarrassing having to buy a player who we know is rubbish

Got to say this does have the panic look about it. But what alternatives do we have.

In relation to our other signings they signal a potential change in the way we play. I would not be surprised if Özil is not a lot happier this year. A number of our players including Pépé can play very well on the break from what I am hearing on podcasts. I think quick transition will suit a number of our players better. I know Kiwi is a great fan of tippy tappy but let us hope it will be disappearing from the club.

Don't know much about Rugani but what we need is someone to marshall the defence when the going gets tough. Maybe Sokaratis or Rugani can do it. Just looking around there is not much talent available in the CB positions so yes we are paying a lot of money. But then in relative terms we paid a lot for Chambers,given his inexperience, and taking into account wages we have paid he really is a dud at the back. Kolasnic was apparently a fullback of the year in Germany but his defense is often terrible so I suppose a gamble on Rugani may be essential with no guarantees at the end.

Post #501059  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
Koscielny’s unveiling at Bordeaux has him taking off his Arsenal shirt to reveal a Bordeaux shirt. Seems a bit tasteless but entirely in keeping with his exit from the club. He backed Srsenal in to a corner and I’m glad they dealt with him quickly and seemingly ushered him out the back door. We have to be utterly ruthless with any kind of behaviour like this.

Surely the irony isn’t lost on Koscielny that he seemed to think that Arsenal should have respected his tenure more by giving in to his demands of a free transfer but his actions in forcing the move have shown anything but respect for the club.

Just watched the shirt unveiling. Bit strange but I think that they have used our clubs images from the jersey for there own promotion purposes. They should therefore have to pay a sum for that use. I think 50mil would be okay as a settlement.

I won't miss him at all - cost us 2 trophies and never acted like a proper captain ala Adams, Campbell.

Post #501060  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:12 pm 

Everton close to signing Sidibi on loan from Monaco. That would have been an idea 1 year loan for a decent right back who can cover that position until Bellerin is back and still get plenty of minutes

Post #501061  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:14 pm 

Some mention online from a totally unreliable sources that Özil's representatives looking at the US as an option. So what about Coutinho in and Özil out. I doubt it, but lets just start adding to the wild speculation all over the internet.

Post #501062  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:23 pm 

Rich wrote:

I’m not sure about that guy. Surely there’s a reason he’s not getting games at Juve. We could be walking into Mustafi version 2.0

Post #501063  Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:33 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

Just watched the shirt unveiling. Bit strange but I think that they have used our clubs images from the jersey for there own promotion purposes. They should therefore have to pay a sum for that use. I think 50mil would be okay as a settlement.

I won't miss him at all - cost us 2 trophies and never acted like a proper captain ala Adams, Campbell.

Surely anyone is entitled to wear an Arsenal shirt whenever they like, so I don’t see how we can expect anything like £50m. I was hoping to show him respect when he left but his departure leaves a bad taste in in the mouth. A poor captain. A fine player over the years he played with Mertesacker, whose arrival went some way to making him. I also firmly believe his departure as a player compromised Koscielny’s form along with now getting old and injury problems. But not one of the best central defenders we’ve had.

Post #501064  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:11 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Surely anyone is entitled to wear an Arsenal shirt whenever they like, so I don’t see how we can expect anything like £50m. I was hoping to show him respect when he left but his departure leaves a bad taste in in the mouth. A poor captain. A fine player over the years he played with Mertesacker, whose arrival went some way to making him. I also firmly believe his departure as a player compromised Koscielny’s form along with now getting old and injury problems. But not one of the best central defenders we’ve had.

50 mil just happens to be a number that would purchase us a CB. As to who can wear an Arsenal shirt I would be shocked if Arsenal did not have a clause in his sale about use of our products by him, particularly to represent himself as having a connection with the club. By putting on the shirt and having it placed on social media he is representing a continuing (beyond the time he signed his new contract) connection with our club. It is good business to have a clause when separating from an employer that prohibits such actions. I am pretty sure nothing will come of it other than him looking like a total tosser, but depending on the split and relationship I would never rule it out.

One thing is sure he has burnt his bridges with the club. I think you are absolutely correct in that Mertesacker was the making of him. When Mert started to fade he did not step up to be the skipper like he should have. The sooner all the remainers from the Wenger era are shunted out the door the better. They failed to achieve but also had almost a sense of entitlement. Just not sure how deep this goes is unclear - does it extend to Iwobi and M-N who were technically under Wenger.

Post #501065  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:21 am 

Rich wrote:

I think I would. I know a lot of people rate Smith-Rowe highly, but from the few times I've seen him I haven't seen that it factor. If we were looking at someone who's 28-29 I probably wouldn't want to give Smith-Rowe up, but when there's a chance to get a 20 year old potentially top class centre back I would be ok with it.

Post #501066  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:48 am 

Spurs being linked to a lot of expensive signings, Dybala, Le Celso, Fernandes, Coutinho.
Spurs total wages are significantly lower than he rest of the top 5, but with their new found ‘success’ they will find that those wages rise rapidly. There is talk of Dybala wanting to be the highest paid player at the club - £300k per week, higher than £250k per week Kane.
For clubs like Arsenal our wage bill creeps up but I suspect not at a faster rate than spurs. For example when we lose a player Čech, Welbeck, Lichtsteiner, Ramsey, Koscielny and replace them with a big signing Pépé, Saliba, Torreira, Leno it is likely their wages are relatively similar. But if spurs get Dybala they are going from llorente wages to Dybala wages. Obviously the step up in quality is huge but spurs have survived with wage budgets a lot less than the rest, it will be interesting how it plays out - not only do they put big wages on the incoming player but it sets the bar for the rest of the squad.
Wenger once said the only guarantee with expensive signings is big wages and he is exactly right

Post #501067  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:13 am 

The whole situation with Koscielny is so strange. From everything we’ve heard, Emery rated him and saw him as an important player for this season. He’s been at the club for 9 years, and it’s not like Fabregas and van Persie who wanted to go to bigger clubs to win trophies. Don’t get why Koscielny suddenly disliked being at Arsenal so much that he would go on strike. One of Wenger’s last unknown gems, there was a 2-3 year period where he was one of the best central defenders in the league. Shame he chose to leave the club like this.

Post #501068  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:34 am 

A lot of rumours out there but seemingly with very little substance and often contradictary.

I would have thought that today was the last chance saloon with players needing to get flown in and medicals etc needing to get done.

Post #501069  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:28 am 

It will be a shame if we don't get a LB and CB.

It will undermine what was shaping up to be a fantastic window.

I can only assume we don't really want Kierney as surely a deal would have been done by now.

Post #501070  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I’m not sure about that guy. Surely there’s a reason he’s not getting games at Juve. We could be walking into Mustafi version 2.0

To be fair to him, he has Chiellini and Bonucci ahead of him, two of the best central defenders in the world. I’d be fine with him, even if someone like Upamecano sounds more exciting because of the potential upside. Don’t like the rumour about a loan with an obligation to buy though, it would suck if he turned out to not be good enough and we had to buy him.

Post #501071  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 am 

It does seem quite odd if we go into the new season and are actually weaker defensively than we were last season, and we were terrible then.

People might argue that Chambers coming back is a plus but he's not an elite CB by any stretch.

We've made some very exciting midfield and attacking signings but defence is where we needed massive improvement and the evidence of pre-season suggests nothing much has changed and that teams are still going to find us far too easy to create chances against.

Saliba could be a gem but he's a season away from having any kind of impact and even then he will still only be 19 and probably not an immediate starter.

Post #501072  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:20 am 

Hazuki wrote:
The whole situation with Koscielny is so strange. From everything we’ve heard, Emery rated him and saw him as an important player for this season. He’s been at the club for 9 years, and it’s not like Fabregas and van Persie who wanted to go to bigger clubs to win trophies. Don’t get why Koscielny suddenly disliked being at Arsenal so much that he would go on strike. One of Wenger’s last unknown gems, there was a 2-3 year period where he was one of the best central defenders in the league. Shame he chose to leave the club like this.

Not sure I’ve mentioned it here, but I’d heard that Koscielny was firmly a Wenger man and he even wanted to leave last summer, the first without him. What I can’t do is guarantee whether the rumour is true. But I have certainly heard Koscielny wasn’t keen on staying once Wenger went.

Post #501073  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:28 am 

socrates wrote:
We've made some very exciting midfield and attacking signings but defence is where we needed massive improvement and the evidence of pre-season suggests nothing much has changed and that teams are still going to find us far too easy to create chances against.

It would be very disappointing to not get any defensive signings in, but remember that Klopp arrived at Liverpool in October 2015, and it wasn’t until January 2018 he shored up their defense with the signing of Van Dijk. Before then he had already turned Liverpool around though, making them into a threatening attacking side that was a challenge for any team.

So there’s still a lot of work to be done with the team, apart from improving our defense. We need to set a formation and a starting eleven, and build an attacking identity for the team, and then we can try again to improve the defense in January or next summer.

Hoping we can pull something out of the hat before tomorrow though. Deadline deals can happen in a flash, as we’ve seen before.

Post #501074  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:53 am 

socrates wrote:
It will be a shame if we don't get a LB and CB.

It will undermine what was shaping up to be a fantastic window.

I can only assume we don't really want Kierney as surely a deal would have been done by now.

Unfortunately with the LB we put our faith in getting Tierney. He is still not fit and even if he was to start training next week he would not be match fit until well into October. He has now missed 5 competitive Celtic games in this season. I am starting to think Lennon actually wants shot of him and is trying to pull a swifty by always being in the newspapers telling people how Arsenal won't pay his price. If he is so sure lets do a deal like this. We pay 25mill but for every week he is unable to play until full match fit they drop 300,000 per week. We judge when he is match fit. I bet he would shut up pretty quickly. He has played very few games since mid November last year and has had a lot of injuries. Look elsewhere

Post #501075  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:03 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Unfortunately with the LB we put our faith in getting Tierney. He is still not fit and even if he was to start training next week he would not be match fit until well into October.

Don't see how that’s relevant. We wouldn’t buy a 22-year old just so that he can play for us in August and September, we’d be buying him with the view to make him a part of our team for years to come obviously.

Post #501076  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:12 am 

Hazuki wrote:
DHD wrote:

Jenkinson too! He was chubby back then, but that's him in the back.

And now he's gone.

Post #501077  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:18 am 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

To be fair to him, he has Chiellini and Bonucci ahead of him, two of the best central defenders in the world. I’d be fine with him, even if someone like Upamecano sounds more exciting because of the potential upside. Don’t like the rumour about a loan with an obligation to buy though, it would suck if he turned out to not be good enough and we had to buy him.

Loan with obligation to buy is basically an outright purchase, no? The concept doesn't make sense to me. Don't see how it's different from paying in installments.

Post #501078  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:24 am 

Goonie wrote:
Loan with obligation to buy is basically an outright purchase, no? The concept doesn't make sense to me. Don't see how it's different from paying in installments.

It’s different because we could face a situation where we have to buy a player that we don’t want. Any signing could flop, but it’s another thing having to pay for someone who has already proved he’s not good enough, if that turns out to be the case.

Post #501079  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:27 am 

dec wrote:
Goonie wrote:

True. There really isn't enough corruption in football.....

Haha. Surely preference to work with certain clubs be it they have a common sponsor or not does not constitute corruption?

Post #501080  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:30 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Goonie wrote:

It’s different because we could face a situation where we have to buy a player that we don’t want. Any signing could flop, but it’s another thing having to pay for someone who has already proved he’s not good enough, if that turns out to be the case.

Let say after two seasons we have to buy Rugani. We offer him a lousy contract and he refused. Then what? If he's still contracted to Juve, he stays there? And we still have to pay whatever amount we agreee with Juve? f he's out of contract with Juve, then he's a free agent and yet we pay Juve the transfer fee?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12524, 12525, 12526, 12527, 12528, 12529, 12530 ... 14269  Next