Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 94 guests

Post #510201  Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:13 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
The wheels coming of the Liverpool season. They look tired and lack the dynamism of earlier in the season.

But I thought they were the greatest team of all time.

Post #510202  Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:47 pm 

dec wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
The wheels coming of the Liverpool season. They look tired and lack the dynamism of earlier in the season.

But I thought they were the greatest team of all time.

‘The greatest team of all time’TM

Haven’t they got Atletico coming up again? I’ve always liked that Simeone, decent and fair chap. Paragon of virtue etc etc

Post #510203  Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:57 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Ash wrote:
The way Jota and Jiminez counter attack! :love4:

Not to mention Traore on the right he’s like the flash and the juggernaut in one. There’s a team set up to counter. Really interesting next few years for them because I think the perceived wisdom is you need to dominate possession to succeed at the top.

Great entertainment for neutrals. A bit like we used to be.

You just had to bring me down didn’t you :20hospitals:

For future reference these are the topics that will cause me to have the vapours so please kindly do not mention them:

1. How good we used to be. Because it reminds me of how rubbish we are now.

2. How rubbish we are now. Because it makes me realise how rubbish we are now.

3. How hard it’s going to be to not be as rubbish as we are now because the future is uncertain and scary and we might still be as rubbish as we are now for an indeterminate period of time.

So as long as you don’t mention the past the present or the future you have my blessing to talk about whatever you like. Honestly some people...

Post #510204  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:40 am 

Liverpool is looking like they are having a week like we had in April in our invincible season. They will win the league but the CL is looking a bit tougher. They are losing games in Europe even though for most of the season they are visibly the best team in the world.

That week in April 2004 for us was heartbreaking. We really could have won the treble that season. The FA cup game against Man Utd was against a weak Man Utd team that was spiraling down in bad form. Wenger thowing Cygan at wing showed you how he panicked.

It was a week from hell fixture wise. Man Utd in the FA Cup, Chelsea over2 legs in he CL with Liverpool after.
The FA cup tie could have been drawn. Even won with a bit of luck. The CL was the most egregious. Up 2-1 agregate with 45 minutes to go. We reached from depths to beat Liverpool in the 2nd half being down 2-1 at the half but it could have been a glorious week. The CL was there for the taking. We could have beaten Porto.

Anyway, If Liverpool fails to win the CL in a strange way some will see their season as a downer despite winning the league for the first time in 30 years. They will win the league well before the season is over. I wonder if the media will still treat them? They will be overjoyed playing up the 30 years but it won't be the same possibly because they were chasing our records.

Post #510205  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:43 am 

If City win the domestic double in cups, how much lustre will that take from Liverpool?

Post #510206  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 am 

Goonie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Good to see the future of Arsenal FC on display against Portsmouth. Eddie should start ahead of Lacazette from hereon. I prefer the directness of Reiss to Pépé's useless trickery.

We have quite a good bunch of players below 25 including Pépé.

Martinelli, Nketiah, Pépé, Saka, Torreira, Guendouzi, Tierney, Holding, Bellerin, Nelson, Willock, Smith-Rowe... plus Saliba next season. The next couple of seasons could be exciting.

Ceballos too - wonder if he is part of Arteta's plan next season. And AMN - but he hasn't impressed lately.

Exciting times ahead for us. Of the lot, I think Bellerin is going downhill (sadly). His fantastic pace is no longer there, and he is much more tentative with his forages. Hope AMN respond positively to Arteta's feedback. He has the size and ability to be just as good as Saka.

Post #510207  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:43 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Goonie wrote:

We have quite a good bunch of players below 25 including Pépé.

Martinelli, Nketiah, Pépé, Saka, Torreira, Guendouzi, Tierney, Holding, Bellerin, Nelson, Willock, Smith-Rowe... plus Saliba next season. The next couple of seasons could be exciting.

Ceballos too - wonder if he is part of Arteta's plan next season. And AMN - but he hasn't impressed lately.

A good crop of young players for sure. AMN hasn't played lately, so he's had no chance to impress. Can't help thinking he'd do a decent job instead of Bellerin though, who doesn't look to be properly over his injury yet.

I believe a much more motivated AMN will do a much better job than Bellerin

Post #510208  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:03 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Of the lot, I think Bellerin is going downhill

Was he ever up there ; to go downhill .

My view is Bellerin never mastered his trade in either direction . Rubbish going forward and rubbish in defence .

Supposedly faster than Walcott ; plus earning us a draw at Chelsea his only claims to fame .

Should have sold him to Barcelona three seasons back when everyone thought he showed promise .

Post #510209  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:34 am 

Man City v Arsenal in the premier league will take place next Wednesday. Premier League have hastily slotted in this game which was postponed because of the League Cup Final.
Not much consideration for the travelling Arsenal fans. Arsenal have offered to subsidise away travel

Post #510210  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:58 am 

Rich wrote:
Man City v Arsenal in the premier league will take place next Wednesday. Premier League have hastily slotted in this game which was postponed because of the League Cup Final.
Not much consideration for the travelling Arsenal fans. Arsenal have offered to subsidise away travel

The away tickets haven’t gone on sale yet. Wonder when they will as there’s not much time for posting them out?

Post #510211  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:43 am 

Gunfire wrote:

They're going to win the PL by a dozen or more points Gunfire. I wish Arsenal's wheels were coming off like that.

Post #510212  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:44 am 

Yep just feels like we have a few years in the wilderness now.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/02/mikel-ar ... -12330870/

Post #510213  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

We are now reaping what has been sown for the last 5 years or more. If we don't get CL, and let's face it we're unlikely to, then getting £100 - £120m in for Aubameyang and Lacazette is a no brainer, especially given that we have Eddie, Martinelli and Balogun coming through. Get Saka signed up and try to get another centre half and centre mid in.

Basically rip it up and start again, as the song goes.

Post #510214  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:55 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
A good crop of young players for sure. AMN hasn't played lately, so he's had no chance to impress. Can't help thinking he'd do a decent job instead of Bellerin though, who doesn't look to be properly over his injury yet.

I have my doubts AMN has much of future at the club. If Sokratis is filling in at rb and AMN isn’t making squads, where does that leave him??

Post #510215  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:57 pm 

Rich wrote:

That’s the same night as Liverpool vs Atletico Madrid then.

Post #510216  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:59 pm 

Ash wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I have my doubts AMN has much of future at the club. If Sokratis is filling in at rb and AMN isn’t making squads, where does that leave him??

And not forgetting Cédric Soares - another in a lengthening list of players who join us but don’t play.

Post #510217  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:26 pm 

tomc wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We are now reaping what has been sown for the last 5 years or more. If we don't get CL, and let's face it we're unlikely to, then getting £100 - £120m in for Aubameyang and Lacazette is a no brainer, especially given that we have Eddie, Martinelli and Balogun coming through. Get Saka signed up and try to get another centre half and centre mid in.

The thing is if Saka doesn’t sign a new contract he’ll presumably be sold next summer as well. For me that will tell us everything about where the club is going under Kroenke. Downhill in a virtually vertical direction.

Is anyone still glad Red & White didn’t take us over rather than KSE? I accept we don’t know whether Usmanov would have been a good owner. But we sure as hell know what Stan is like as an owner and I’m struggling to see how Usmanov could have been any worse.

Post #510218  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
tomc wrote:

The thing is if Saka doesn’t sign a new contract he’ll presumably be sold next summer as well. For me that will tell us everything about where the club is going under Kroenke. Downhill in a virtually vertical direction.

Is anyone still glad Red & White didn’t take us over rather than KSE? I accept we don’t know whether Usmanov would have been a good owner. But we sure as hell know what Stan is like as an owner and I’m struggling to see how Usmanov could have been any worse.

Indeed. One thing cashing in on 30 year olds in the last year of their contract. Quite another if we sell our best young prospect for the same reason. Hopefully Kroenke will eventually bugger off. Sooner rather than later would be nice.

Post #510219  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:37 pm 

Ash wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Seems it is his attitude that needs changing. Arteta obliquely stressed that aspect of him. If he does get his head down, and work hard, he can be a good player.

Post #510220  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:53 pm 

Klopp won't talk to The Sun. He's "blocked" them. They were probably trolling :42laughter:

Post #510221  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:44 pm 

tomc wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

They're going to win the PL by a dozen or more points Gunfire. I wish Arsenal's wheels were coming off like that.

All things are relative. I think they will win the league but given the start they had pre Christmas I feel there might be a twinge of disappointment i they don't add another trophy.

Post #510222  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:

At least Usmanov was a fan and cared about the club and football. Nothing positive about the Kronks

Post #510223  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:11 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Ash wrote:

And not forgetting Cédric Soares - another in a lengthening list of players who join us but don’t play.

That signing looks totally bizarre. He divided opinion among saints fans and was signed on loan for 6 months for a large fee for a loan even though he was injured until late March ! I mean ffs

It looks entirely done By Edu as a favour to his own agent Kia Joorbachin who also has Soares as a client apparently. How much better an option is that guy instead of Niles or Sokratis on the basis it was obvious we are finishing mid table regardless.

Post #510224  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:41 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

That signing looks totally bizarre. He divided opinion among saints fans and was signed on loan for 6 months for a large fee for a loan even though he was injured until late March ! I mean ffs

It looks entirely done By Edu as a favour to his own agent Kia Joorbachin who also has Soares as a client apparently. How much better an option is that guy instead of Niles or Sokratis on the basis it was obvious we are finishing mid table regardless.

I've got a feeling that this one's going to work out ok. We need depth at full back, with the type of game Arteta seems to want to play. Sok isn't a full back, and Ainsley while better suited to the position doesn't seem to want to play there and Arteta doesn't seem very impressed by that. Cédric is a Portuguese international full back. We'll sign him on a Bosman this summer and he'll be settled in and ready to go from the off next season. I can see the logic in the whole thing.

Post #510225  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:58 pm 

Sheffield Utd away in the cup

Post #510226  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:28 pm 

Looks like Spurs will win the CL this season because that’s all that is left in Jose’s trophy magic this season. Spurs out on pens.

Post #510227  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:30 pm 

Tottenham are out. Drew 1-1 but Norwich beat them in the penalty shootout.

Post #510228  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:35 pm 

Bernard wrote:

So did they lose the game or...?

Joking, don’t know and don’t care. I felt sorry for all of them in the moment... it’s tough to watch someone miss under all the pressure and see them crumble under the realisation. It was the youngster Troy Parrot and the new signing Gedson - really rough. I wish it would have been Kane and Alli.

Not sure in the slightest we’ll get past Sheffield Utd :icon_eek1:

Post #510229  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Eric Dier has just run up in to the stand and had an ‘altercation’ with a spurs fan. Video on twitter

Post #510230  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:13 am 

Aways nice when Tottenham loses and especially out of a cup.

As an aside, do they have their own version of St. Totteringham day?

Post #510231  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:47 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Eric Dier has just run up in to the stand and had an ‘altercation’ with a spurs fan. Video on twitter

What penalty did Cantona get?

Post #510232  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:15 am 

Jose doing his classic routine at Spurs. He came in saying he was the humble one, did lots of good PR with ball boys and praising people but pretty quickly that has turned in to his old tricks.
He belittles players in public
Drops players and makes them resent him rather than want to play better for him
Moans about bad luck and how he’s basically working miracles with what he’s got
Has basically said spurs season is already over
Plays dour safety first football
Says he doesn’t have the squad to compete in all the games he has to play etc etc

Every spurs fan I know has already turned against him

Post #510233  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:07 am 

Rich wrote:
Jose doing his classic routine at Spurs. He came in saying he was the humble one, did lots of good PR with ball boys and praising people but pretty quickly that has turned in to his old tricks.
Says he doesn’t have the squad to compete in all the games he has to play etc etc

Football in North London isn’t looking too healthy at this point in time. How are Barnet doing these days?

Post #510234  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:02 am 

Rich wrote:

Emery was flop but at least he wasn't toxic. So on the whole I'd say we dodged a bullet ... which subsequently found its way into the nether regions of our neighbours :laughing7: :laughing7: .

Post #510235  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:10 am 

Arsenal fans won’t be able to use their 7 home cup game credits this season. We’ve only played 5 cup games at home and have no chance of any more. It means the club are having to give a rebate to season ticket holders for the 2 games. Seen some estimate this is about £4.5m.....or about 3 months of Özil’s wage to put it another way.

Post #510236  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:27 am 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal fans won’t be able to use their 7 home cup game credits this season. We’ve only played 5 cup games at home and have no chance of any more. It means the club are having to give a rebate to season ticket holders for the 2 games. Seen some estimate this is about £4.5m.....or about 3 months of Özil’s wage to put it another way.

Interesting.

I wonder how it will work if the fixture list is suspended, cancelled or all matches are played behind closed doors?

Post #510237  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:37 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gafWr4v_fyE

According to Jose he went to defend his younger brother.

Post #510238  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:57 am 

It's all unravelling down at 'The Lane That Time Forgot' (copyright CB). That place can turn toxic in a heartbeat and when it does, it's far far worse than anything we ever see at The Arse. The periods of unrest and protest under AW and Ernie were largely characterised by empty seats. I used to go down there regularly in the '60 with mates to watch what was then a team in decline after their 1961 Double. I have never heard anything approaching the abuse they used to hurl, in particular in those days at Alan Mullery - who was widely hated for not being John White. Hundreds/thousands of foaming-mouthed grown men would scream at him every time he touched the ball. Classy.

Post #510239  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:22 am 

DHD wrote:
Rich wrote:

Interesting.

I wonder how it will work if the fixture list is suspended, cancelled or all matches are played behind closed doors?

That bastion of wisdom Matt Hancock said closed doors would just lead to people watching together down the pub and catching corona virus there.

However the euros and Olympics blatantly aren’t happening surely

Post #510240  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:33 am 

The way football is today, it probably wouldn't be the greatest financial loss if matches were played behind closed doors. Matches would be televised or streamed and there'd probably be a significant uplift in payments. As long as the TV money keeps rolling in, most clubs would probably be relatively relaxed.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12753, 12754, 12755, 12756, 12757, 12758, 12759 ... 14269  Next