Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 179 guests

Post #499281  Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:26 pm 

dec wrote:
john1 wrote:

You’ve mentioned them a couple of times now dec - have you got some inside info?

No I don't John. It's hard not to look at it without a suspicious eye though. Liverpool press harder than any other team. They have been almost injury free and you have a guy like Milner covering every corner of the pitch.

And Milner’s got that square jawed look. Hmm, maybe there something in what you say.

Post #499282  Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:27 pm 

dec wrote:
you have a guy like Milner covering every corner of the pitch.

Morning Dec .... obviously I don't know the guy ..... might be a closet wife beater but when Milner came on I thought same .

What a wonderful professional to have , done the rounds at a million clubs , unspectacular but does a bloody good tradesman like job in any position on the field he asked to play .

Thinking Arsenal maybe Kevin Richardson , John Hollins ..?

Post #499283  Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:31 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:
No-one tell me the score.

I’m watching it on Match of the Day later.

Cheers

:laughing7: :laughing7: ... Johnny Boy .. one of your best ...sitting on a FOOTBALL forum and say don't tell me the score .

Son had a dream few weeks back where he saw Liverpool holding up the trophy .... went out and slapped $100 on them .. won $475 .

Not one to get my rocks off laughing at other teams misfortunes to cover my team's inadequacies

...... but seeing Tottenham despondent is a hell of a lot better than seeing them high fiving . :laughing7:

‘Twas a poor attempt at a joke Pete.

Is that $NZ? So he won about £1.12p? :7laughter:

Post #499284  Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:31 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
dec wrote:
you have a guy like Milner covering every corner of the pitch.

Morning Dec .... obviously I don't know the guy ..... might be a closet wife beater but when Milner came on I thought same .

What a wonderful professional to have , done the rounds at a million clubs , unspectacular but does a bloody good tradesman like job in any position on the field he asked to play .

Thinking Arsenal maybe Kevin Richardson , John Hollins ..?

Look no further than our own Pascal Cygan. Just as comfortable taking long elegant strides at CB as he is striking fear into full backs at Left wing.

Post #499285  Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:37 pm 

How many times do Tottenham players dive?, yet no one seems to mention it?, very curious...

Post #499286  Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:55 pm 

At least no total meltdown among Arsenal fans...

Been all gloom and down after the EL loss. Time to regroup. Emery needs to get the fans excited. He's been more reform than revolution, he needs to stamp his philosophy, culture and style on the club to get everyone on board with the Emery Project. If he doesn't fancy Özil (Özil doesn't seem to contribute to Emery's cause either) and we can't get rid of our highest paid player, then just don't play him - live or die by that decision instead of the indecisiveness we saw in his first season re: the Özil situation.

Post #499287  Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:01 pm 

Sperz are going to release a 30 second DVD

Post #499288  Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:11 pm 

john1 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: :laughing7: ... Johnny Boy .. one of your best ...sitting on a FOOTBALL forum and say don't tell me the score .

Son had a dream few weeks back where he saw Liverpool holding up the trophy .... went out and slapped $100 on them .. won $475 .

Not one to get my rocks off laughing at other teams misfortunes to cover my team's inadequacies

...... but seeing Tottenham despondent is a hell of a lot better than seeing them high fiving . :laughing7:

:laughing7: I think having that same 1.12

... is better than having to offer three coracles , an eel trap and six bags of leeks to pay for a day trip to Tenby for you and the missus .... boyo .

Post #499289  Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:33 pm 

Goonie wrote:

Been all gloom and down after the EL loss. Time to regroup. Emery needs to get the fans excited. He's been more reform than revolution, he needs to stamp his philosophy, culture and style on the club to get everyone on board with the Emery Project. If he doesn't fancy Özil (Özil doesn't seem to contribute to Emery's cause either) and we can't get rid of our highest paid player, then just don't play him - live or die by that decision instead of the indecisiveness we saw in his first season re: the Özil situation.

Do you think Everton or Newcastle fans regroup after every season? Or do they just go - well I will take an interest in the club next season but I know nothing much will change as we just battle along. I think it is the second option and most of our fans are gravitating to this mind set. It is like electing government - nothing much will change except they will try and take more money off me and often waste it. People feel powerless. That is how I am starting to feel now in relation to football. There is lack of ambition at our club - if the fans continue to give support to it nothing will change.

Post #499290  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:38 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Do you think Everton or Newcastle fans regroup after every season? Or do they just go - well I will take an interest in the club next season but I know nothing much will change as we just battle along. I think it is the second option and most of our fans are gravitating to this mind set. It is like electing government - nothing much will change except they will try and take more money off me and often waste it. People feel powerless. That is how I am starting to feel now in relation to football. There is lack of ambition at our club - if the fans continue to give support to it nothing will change.

I meant management and players to regroup. Emery must do something to get the fans behind him. At the moment, like you implied, fans are disillusioned. Do or die for Emery anyway next season - he might as well go all out and do things his way.

Post #499291  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:18 am 

RIP Reyes

Post #499292  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:23 am 

Congratulations to Pool!

so lucky for us, the Sperts did not win it

Post #499293  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:12 am 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

:laughing7: I think having that same 1.12

... is better than having to offer three coracles , an eel trap and six bags of leeks to pay for a day trip to Tenby for you and the missus .... boyo .

It’s 7 bags of leeks now, the robbing barstewards.

Oh, and I only take the girlfriend to Tenby. :58big-emoticons:

Post #499294  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:46 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Congratulations to Pool!

so lucky for us, the Sperts did not win it

Last night was really unusual for me. A cup final I actually wanted Liverpool to win. I actually felt dirty wanting Liverpool to win but at least now I can get back to routinely wanting them to lose.

Glad it was a dire match. Doubt many new fans would go to either club after a game as boring as that.

Post #499295  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:42 am 

dec wrote:
john1 wrote:

You’ve mentioned them a couple of times now dec - have you got some inside info?

No I don't John. It's hard not to look at it without a suspicious eye though. Liverpool press harder than any other team. They have been almost injury free and you have a guy like Milner covering every corner of the pitch.

Your probably right that that its going on somewhere. The performance of Russia st the last world cup is a case in point. There must be other Rodchenkovs that havent been caught.

Post #499296  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:53 am 

RIP Antonio Reyes. Am I correct in thinking that he is the first of the invincibles to leave us.

Post #499297  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:46 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
How many times do Tottenham players dive?, yet no one seems to mention it?, very curious...

Danny Rose has actually taken over from Kane, son and alli as the worst of the bunch.

I’m worried spurs will realise they can really cash in on Eriksen this summer. He’s pretty inconsistent at the moment (I’d take him over Özil don’t get me wrong) but if Real came in with a £80-100m bid they should sell Eriksen in a heartbeat. Only 1 year left on his deal, I would back Poch to spend that money well and create a better squad

Post #499298  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:58 am 

https://sincespurslastwonatrophy.co.uk

I know they’re better than us right now but it is worth remembering this amongst all the praise spurs get

Post #499299  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:15 am 

Ash wrote:
Glen Hoddle - 'Spurs were the better team' :1cry:

They were.

Post #499300  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:42 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
...People feel powerless. That is how I am starting to feel now in relation to football. There is lack of ambition at our club - if the fans continue to give support to it nothing will change.
Don't know about you, but I have always felt powerless as a football supporter, for the simple reason that I am. In my time following Arsenal I never had a single call from George Swindin, Billy Wright, Bertie Mee, Don Howe, Terry Neill, George Graham, Bruce Rioch or Arsene, seeking my input. It is a disgrace, but I reluctantly live with it.

Post #499301  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:47 am 

Goonie wrote:
...Do or die for Emery anyway next season - he might as well go all out and do things his way.
Yes, he s our guy, and until he is not we have to get behind him. Objectively his first season was no disaster. Some missed opportunities, but European qualification and a cup final appearance, is worthy of some trust. For now.

Post #499302  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:49 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
RIP Antonio Reyes. Am I correct in thinking that he is the first of the invincibles to leave us.
Yes, though I think Sol Campbell once died at half-time only to be later resuscitated.

Post #499303  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:54 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Ash wrote:
Glen Hoddle - 'Spurs were the better team' :1cry:

They were.
I agree. They were just the better of two tired teams, yet missed a good opportunity last night. Having been sparkling all season Liverpool were bang average and got away with it. The dreadful penalty decision seemed to freeze the game.

Post #499304  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:28 am 

They shouldn't have been in the final, they only got there because of VAR which for the last 50+ years of the 'European cup' was not in place, they got extremely lucky against Ajax as well, scoring on 96', this isn't even me being a biased gooner, objectively speaking they were very lucky to get there.

As for fans being powerless, this is a total myth, fans have all the power - walk away if you disagree with what the club is doing, there is always the excuse that someone else will come along and fill your seat, but that is just that - an excuse.

Tourists might have filled the ground whilst we were a CL team but now we are a full on Europa league club I don't think they'll be queuing up round the block to see us play Torpedo Moscow or FC Qarabag..

Post #499305  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:41 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Was thinking of Arsenal players I've seen play for us in a competitive first team game who have now died. In alphabetical order I can think of: George Armstrong, Alan Ball, Tommy Caton, Jose Antonio Reyes, John Roberts, Dave Rocastle, Paul Vaessen.

Have I forgotten any?

Post #499306  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:52 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
They were.
I agree. They were just the better of two tired teams, yet missed a good opportunity last night. Having been sparkling all season Liverpool were bang average and got away with it. The dreadful penalty decision seemed to freeze the game.

Spurs were the better of two poor teams and Liverpool were there for the taking.

It was a club-defining opportunity, to lift the CL would have catapulted Spurs onto a new global level.

Thank goodness they did an Arsenal and bottled it.

Having said that I thought the pen was soft and thankfully they didn't really get the run of the ball at key moments.

Allisson gave an assured goalkeeping display, catching when he needed to catch and parrying or punching it well out of the danger area when required. His distribution was excellent as well.

Post #499307  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:49 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
...People feel powerless. That is how I am starting to feel now in relation to football. There is lack of ambition at our club - if the fans continue to give support to it nothing will change.
Don't know about you, but I have always felt powerless as a football supporter, for the simple reason that I am. In my time following Arsenal I never had a single call from George Swindin, Billy Wright, Bertie Mee, Don Howe, Terry Neill, George Graham, Bruce Rioch or Arsene, seeking my input. It is a disgrace, but I reluctantly live with it.

Well I know you weren’t going to speak up against Wenger but others did. But ultimately it made a difference. If people don’t even speak up on forums against Kroenke and players failing to put in effort then nothing will change. We may feel powerless and probably over here more than those in the uk but make no mistake clever organisations monitor the media. Whether we are clever as a business only time will tell. Spare seats also tell. Let’s see what happens in the transfer market as to whether there will even a little change next season.

Post #499308  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:52 pm 

socrates wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Spurs were the better of two poor teams and Liverpool were there for the taking.

It was a club-defining opportunity, to lift the CL would have catapulted Spurs onto a new global level.

Thank goodness they did an Arsenal and bottled it.

Having said that I thought the pen was soft and thankfully they didn't really get the run of the ball at key moments.

Allisson gave an assured goalkeeping display, catching when he needed to catch and parrying or punching it well out of the danger area when required. His distribution was excellent as well.

Dreadful spectacle last night. I thought VVD and Allisson were what made the difference. A couple of good saves from the GK at crucial times and a really solid central defence performance with a few timely interceptions and challenges from the CB. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Agree that Liverpool were poor and that the Shite could have taken them. Massive error from Poch to play Kane who was clearly not ready for the game and did not even get a chance to fall over in the box.

Also agree it was a club defining game and thank god for us they did not take their chance. Still plenty of catching up for The Arsenal to do.

Let's hope for some carefully invested funds in the playing staff and some shipping out of those who are clearly not up to the task. Bring on the kids to fill in the squad places and go for a much stronger defence minded summer window.

Post #499309  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:49 pm 

Thinking on Reyes

People have written on here he could have been as good as Ronaldo. I absolutely agree. His ceiling was definitely as high the only thing was he seemed to lack self confidence that Ronaldo has in abundance and he couldn’t adapt to life in England. If he could have mastered that he would have been one of the greats. For me he was another superb Wenger signing

I read he crashed his Mercedes Brabus at 120 miles per hour. I’ve always owned fast motors and last week bought an AMG Merc and there is something wrong about the car in as much as in its sports mode it seems to want to drive at insane speeds feels uncomfortable just as a run around and you have to be really careful with the power at your disposal.

Genuine sadness at his passing but when I heard for some reason I wasn’t shocked. Sometimes there’s something about some characters psyche or aura where they are on the edge. Reyes seemed like that. Anyway I hope he rests in peace

Post #499310  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:14 pm 

Bayern put Jerome Boateng up for sale for £20m. He’s 30. Would you go for him?
I want young signings.....but if the club bought Sokratis for £20m as more of a short term signing to ‘try’ to add some experience and stability then Boateng is better

Post #499311  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
I want young signings.....but if the club bought Sokratis for £20m as more of a short term signing to ‘try’ to add some experience and stability then Boateng is better

Absolutely
Unless, there are question marks over his fitness, he would be an excellent signing. If we did nothing this summer but sign good defenders, I would be ok with it, despite the fact that we need improvement elsewhere too. I've said it before, but I'd push the boat out for Declan Rice. Can play centreback and midfield and if he turns out to be the real deal, he could transform us.

Post #499312  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:38 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:

Terry Neill did phone me up to ask me to go in and meet him. I'd written a letter to him and as I wasn't ex-directory in those days, he was able to get my phone number and call me.

Post #499313  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:46 pm 

Rich wrote:

I don’t think we should be signing many more players in that age bracket right now.

I think we need to look to the future

Post #499314  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:15 pm 

I was obviously very relieved when Liverpool beat Sperz last night, but now the dust has settled a bit, i'm a bit jealous that Arsenal seem far away from appearing in the CL, never mind actually being in the final. I don't even like the CL thanks to Wenger's Arsenal being spectacularly non competitive despite being in it for 20+ years. But seeing all those Liverpool fans having a big old party in Madrid makes me a but sad for the drift we've experienced over the last 10 years or so...

At what point do we as supporters start actively campaigning for the removal of our couldntgiveatoss owner?

Post #499315  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Terry Neill did phone me up to ask me to go in and meet him. I'd written a letter to him and as I wasn't ex-directory in those days, he was able to get my phone number and call me.

I think you've mentioned that before, Bernard. It's just brilliant. Sone contrast with today's players and managers.

Post #499316  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:37 pm 

Bored wrote:
I was obviously very relieved when Liverpool beat Sperz last night, but now the dust has settled a bit, i'm a bit jealous that Arsenal seem far away from appearing in the CL, never mind actually being in the final. I don't even like the CL thanks to Wenger's Arsenal being spectacularly non competitive despite being in it for 20+ years. But seeing all those Liverpool fans having a big old party in Madrid makes me a but sad for the drift we've experienced over the last 10 years or so...

At what point do we as supporters start actively campaigning for the removal of our couldntgiveatoss owner?

A few weeks into the season I said we would see Kroenke our protests within 2 years, pretty much still think this.

I felt exactly the same watching that game last night. Were years away from those two teams. Kroenke let Wenger run us adrift and there’s now no money or value in the squad to rebuild either. Next year will bring the end of emery and the realisation will set in about where we actually are as a club and that pro and cons of a managers approach are irrelevant

Post #499317  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Did you go and see him?

I wrote to GG in about 1986 to give him some advice about who to sign. At the time Brady was coming back to the UK and I wanted Arsenal to sign him. George was very polite in his reply and gave me a considered argument as to why it was not the right thing to do. He did talk about a new generation of young players and how he did not want to stifle their progress. He was right.

Post #499318  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:37 pm 

Rich wrote:

Too old and no resale value. Also wages probably too high and I bet he is not hungry enough. I want players with something to prove who are at the start of their career and are on the way up, not on the way down.

Post #499319  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:52 pm 

I must be in a minority of one but let’s get this right, that was sp**s 20th defeat of the season, if they had fluked a win last night they’d have been the weakest team to get their hands on the trophy since Mourinho’s cheating Porto outfit. The way they and Potch have been lauded is quite bizarre.

Post #499320  Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:23 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
I must be in a minority of one but let’s get this right, that was sp**s 20th defeat of the season, if they had fluked a win last night they’d have been the weakest team to get their hands on the trophy since Mourinho’s cheating Porto outfit. The way they and Potch have been lauded is quite bizarre.

I agree. I've been stunned by all the 'Tottenham were the better team' type of stuff that's been coming out. They had plenty of possession but what did they do with it? It was like watching us towards the end of Wenger's time with a 'let's pass it around amongst ourselves rather than try to score' attitude.

A dismally boring game between two teams way below their best. But of the two, I always thought Liverpool were more likely to score than Tottenham.

[ 571641 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12480, 12481, 12482, 12483, 12484, 12485, 12486 ... 14292  Next