Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 101 guests

Post #499041  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:15 pm 

Ash wrote:
How are you feeling if City are banned and we get the passed down CL place?

At this point I'd take any kind of handout. We could then see how good we are in the transfer market with a half decent budget.

Other than that I'd throw in the kids next season and just enjoy watching them develop rather than watch this bunch of overpaid dross again.

Post #499042  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:16 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
From the little bits I’ve seen of Willock, Nketiah, Smith-Rowe and Nelson I’d much rather have them in the squad than some of our more higher profile names.

So looking at young players did you think N-M and Guendouzi had a reasonable season.

Yes. The expectation levels for young players are lower, fans will forgive their mistakes if they see potential and them improving.
AMN has made some big mistakes in defence but he’s a central mid by trade and has been asked to fill in in all sorts of positions. Was one of the best players in the first half. Guendouzi has a lot of potential and a great season for a French league 2 player, so yes I think they’ve both had good seasons. Very few arsenal players have had great seasons

Post #499043  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
So Allegri has left Juve - he’s available. Do you ditch Emery and go for Allegri?
We all know Emery will be here next season.

Allegri wouldn't come without a massive budget, he doesn't want to tarnish his reputation.

Post #499044  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 pm 

Darren wrote:
Sack the manager. He’s bang average managing a bang average team with an owner who is not committed. We’re going nowhere under him.

Owner the same and team the same. I think we’re on a hiding to nothing if we do that personally. I’d keep him for another year.

Post #499045  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:18 pm 

Darren wrote:
Sack the manager. He’s bang average managing a bang average team with an owner who is not committed. We’re going nowhere under him.

Sadly, I agree with you about the team and owner.
Sadly I am starting to agree with you about Emry.

Post #499046  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:21 pm 

Darren wrote:

I think this transfer window will show if Emery is the real deal or not. Does he have the balls or indeed the power and influence to undertake the clear-out that is so obviously needed?

I somehow doubt it.

Post #499047  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:22 pm 

socrates wrote:
Ash wrote:

At this point I'd take any kind of handout. We could then see how good we are in the transfer market with a half decent budget.

Other than that I'd throw in the kids next season and just enjoy watching them develop rather than watch this bunch of overpaid dross again.

Yeah, I’m for playing the kids. So long as they’re round pegs in round holes. Id like to see M-N even once in midfield. Even Bielik you’ve got to think has got a shout to play Europa and league cup where I’d expect him to cope, and show if he can make the jump. Nelson I think is definitely going to get some games.

Post #499048  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:23 pm 

Decent start but didn't get the marginal calls (2 possible pens & lots of small Chavski fouls) when we were on top, and wasted good positions by not thinking quickly enough.

Chelsea slightly changed formation and started to take control before half time.

Excellent goal from Giroud from a nothing cross, but he only got there because Koscielny's acceleration went in late March and he's clearly playing through pain to such a degree that he might be done.

Once Chelsea had the lead it was crying out for a formation change, but Emery sat on his hands until 3-0. Sure, we looked vulnerable when we went more attacking and conceded a poorly defended 4th, but we also created 4 good to excellent chances.

Letting Chelsea outnumber us 3 to 2 in midfield cost us the game.

Killer was the second goal which was the direct result of a clear foul on AMN, and then came via his absented position.

Özil was isolated by the set up, but after the first 30 mins disappeared and by the end was causing more problems than he solved - once Chelsea scored he stopped trying to interrupt Jorginho and then the game became easy for chelsea. Iwobi and Willock had nothing to lose but made an impact, and despite Willock's awful miss, he made more happen in 10 mins than Özil did in 80 *(though partly the formation change).

If Bellerin, Rasmey and Holding were fit we play 4-3-3 and we win the game in my opinion. Emery felt he had little option tactically and it cost us.

Time to go full project youth - akin to when GG took over...we have the best crop of kids we've had since the mid 80s, and European clubs are sniffing around to take them off our hands.

Keep the strikers (unless an amazing offer comes in for any of them), Keep Sokratis, one of the left backs, Leno, maybe Xhaka. Everyone else over 25 can go.

Also, we'll win nothing until we get a top quality centre half as Kos looks done, Sokratis is a junior partner and Mustafi is a disaster zone.

Post #499049  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:27 pm 

socrates wrote:
Darren wrote:

I think this transfer window will show if Emery is the real deal or not. Does he have the balls or indeed the power and influence to undertake the clear-out that is so obviously needed?

I somehow doubt it.

I think every decision I’m football is a roll of the dice to some degree. City are rolling at a 99% chance of success, we’re somewhere around 30.. I just don’t think you beat the odds over a period of time. Could the season go ok next year, it really could, with the wages we’ll save from players going, and if Özil goes and we buy well and young gifted players step up. It really could be not too bad - but the chances really aren’t high.

Post #499050  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:27 pm 

Ash wrote:

They'll appeal and it won't kick in until next year.

Post #499051  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:27 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Pathetic showing in a major final. Absolutely dreadful.

I've always thought a lot of teams pass the ball better than us and in Hazard they had a player who has burning desire to create something .
We just don't have that type of player .

I've rabbited on ad nauseum .... spending a ton of cash on new players isn't the problem .
Our build ups remain too slow and our passing needs to improve .

Could have been the lost situation but our subs showed far more enthusiam .

..... but the bottom line was we were the far inferior team on the night .

Post #499052  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:28 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Goonie wrote:

We are still a good side. A couple of solid defenders need to be brought in. And just allow Özil to play in the league and FA cups comps.

Mate, If someone served you up a shite sandwich you would still see the positive - nice fresh bread.

I am a pessimist by nature so I don't see any future for most of the team including all those on the bench.

We lost badly in a cup final. But there's a lot of over reaction. Not just from you. Suddenly nobody is good enough.

Post #499053  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:32 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Mate, If someone served you up a shite sandwich you would still see the positive - nice fresh bread.

I am a pessimist by nature so I don't see any future for most of the team including all those on the bench.

We lost badly in a cup final. But there's a lot of over reaction. Not just from you. Suddenly nobody is good enough.

It’s these games that players aren’t good enough in. We’re aiming above this level. It’s these games they’re judged on. And they aren’t good enough.

Post #499054  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:35 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Goonie, how many of our players would get in Liverpool or City's side? How many would even get in the squad?

Post #499055  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 pm 

Ash wrote:
Goonie wrote:

It’s these games that players aren’t good enough in. We’re aiming above this level. It’s these games they’re judged on. And they aren’t good enough.

We are work in progress. Emery has made a slight improvement to last season. I think it's fair to see if he can improve the team further next season. And getting rid of everyone is just stupid.

Post #499056  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Because by and large they aren't. With a couple of exceptions, a shower of overpaid journeymen lacking creativity, in many cases basic skills, and no backbone when the going gets tough.

Dreading next season unless a miracle occurs during the off season, and don't even want to think about the potential horror of the CL Final. :20hospitals:

Post #499057  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:44 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Ash wrote:

We are work in progress. Emery has made a slight improvement to last season. I think it's fair to see if he can improve the team further next season. And getting rid of everyone is just stupid.

Everyone expects their team to build and be better next season. Everyone. Clearly that can’t be the case. This year the majority of our good results and performances were with Ramsey in the lineup. Which, although surprising to me, doesn’t bode well for next season does it? You don’t automatically improve your position just because it’s next season, progess isn’t inevitable. It COULD be ok, but like I said, the chances are not good. No one else is likely to go backwards around us either.

Post #499058  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:45 pm 

Čech, Lichtsteiner, Ramsey, Welbeck, mustafi, Özil, Mkhitaryan, Kolasinac, ospina, Chambers, Elneny, jenkinson all OUT. Koscielny may move on if the club won’t offer him a new deal.

That’s 12 or 13 players

Promote Willock, Nelson, Nketiah. Look for good loans for Saka, Smith-Rowe, amaechi and look to integrate them in the first team next year if they do well on loan.

That’s 3 players who are ready to fill first team squad positions.
We then need these 9 positions
Left back, 2x CB, RB, wide left, 2 x attacking mid one who can play wide, box to box mid, back up gk

13 out 12 in. Have the club got the balls to do it? These don’t have to be big money signings, they need to be at the right age and have the right profile - pace, power, stamina, work rate, desire.

Post #499059  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:46 pm 

Ash wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Everyone expects their team to build and be better next season. Everyone. Clearly that can’t be the case. This year the majority of our good results and performances were with Ramsey in the lineup. Which, although surprising to me, doesn’t bode well for next season does it? You don’t automatically improve your position just because it’s next season, process isn’t inevitable. It COULD be ok, but like I said, the chances are not good. No one else is likely to go backwards around us either.

To be fair if Chelsea lose hazard and can’t sign anyone due to a transfer ban they are prime candidates for a team going backwards

Post #499060  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:46 pm 

socrates wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Goonie, how many of our players would get in Liverpool or City's side? How many would even get in the squad?

We are not at their level at the moment. And yet Aubameyang is a shared golden boot winner. That's beside the point though. We are a work in progress. How long did it take Klopp to make Liverpool competitive?

Post #499061  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 pm 

socrates wrote:
Darren wrote:

I somehow doubt it.

He found himself in a great position with 5 or 6 games left in the PL. Tottenham had fallen apart. Chelsea were hugely inconsistent all year and Man U were just rubbish. He failed miserably to take that opportunity. Our defence is as bad as ever and we really have no discernible style of play.

Post #499062  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
Čech, Lichtsteiner, Ramsey, Welbeck, mustafi, Özil, Mkhitaryan, Kolasinac, ospina, Chambers, Elneny, jenkinson all OUT. Koscielny may move on if the club won’t offer him a new deal.

That’s 12 or 13 players

Promote Willock, Nelson, Nketiah. Look for good loans for Saka, Smith-Rowe, amaechi and look to integrate them in the first team next year if they do well on loan.

Left back, 2x CB, RB, wide left, 2 x attacking mid one who can play wide, box to box mid, back up gk

13 out 12 in. Have the club got the balls to do it? These don’t have to be big money signings, they need to be at the right age and have the right profile - pace, power, stamina, work rate, desire.

Has a big club ever sold 13 and bought 12 in? As much as we'd like to see it happen it just doesn't.

I'd be surprised if we bought more than four players.

Post #499063  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:50 pm 

Ash wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Everyone expects their team to build and be better next season. Everyone. Clearly that can’t be the case. This year the majority of our good results and performances were with Ramsey in the lineup. Which, although surprising to me, doesn’t bode well for next season does it? You don’t automatically improve your position just because it’s next season, progess isn’t inevitable. It COULD be ok, but like I said, the chances are not good. No one else is likely to go backwards around us either.

"You don’t automatically improve your position just because it’s next season, progess isn’t inevitable."

And I've said nothing of that sort. I just said it's fair to see if Emery can improve the team further next season. To me he has earned it with the slight improvement made fro last season.

Post #499064  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:52 pm 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:

I somehow doubt it.

He found himself in a great position with 5 or 6 games left in the PL. Tottenham had fallen apart. Chelsea were hugely inconsistent all year and Man U were just rubbish. He failed miserably to take that opportunity. Our defence is as bad as ever and we really have no discernible style of play.

I agree but I just think you have to give him one more transfer window. At the end of Aug if it is glaringly obvious by the signings made and the lack of clear-out that he is just a puppet then I'm not sure what good sacking him will do. We will just end up bringing in another yes-man and continue our journey into mediocrity.

Post #499065  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:55 pm 

Rich wrote:

That’s 12 or 13 players

I agree on what we need but 9 players? Bloody hell, it just doesn’t bode well. The only team this season to add that many and start them were relegated before Easter.

Post #499066  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:58 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Ash wrote:

"You don’t automatically improve your position just because it’s next season, progess isn’t inevitable."

And I've said nothing of that sort. I just said it's fair to see if Emery can improve the team further next season. To me he has earned it with the slight improvement made fro last season.

That’s a clear implication he’s going to improve on this season. That’s what I’ve responded to.

Post #499067  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:59 pm 

socrates wrote:
Özil gets subbed and walks slowly off feeling sorry for himself. I I had been Emery I would have run on the pitch and dragged him off.

:laughing7: Oh no you wouldn't have Mr Hardarse ..... you'd have given him a little cuddle , a reassuring pat on the back , a little whisper of " Well Done " in his ear .

Post #499068  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:07 pm 

Emery needs to go. A marginal points increase in the PL but due to a season start where everyone was trying hard to prove themselves to the manager. No improvement in defence.

Apparently he was hired on the basis of having a detailed plan about how to improve each and every player. Of the squad, how many improved? I'd also say that most of them got worse as the season wore on.

Give him a season I hear the cry. What for? He's a dud so why bother wasting another year.

Post #499069  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 pm 

If the ref had given the Lacazette penalty do we think var would have over turned it?

Post #499070  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:09 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:
Özil gets subbed and walks slowly off feeling sorry for himself. I I had been Emery I would have run on the pitch and dragged him off.

:laughing7: Oh no you wouldn't have Mr Hardarse ..... you'd have given him a little cuddle , a reassuring pat on the back , a little whisper of " Well Done " in his ear .

I wouldn't have let him sit on the bench with his "team". Send him off for an early shower. He should never be seen playing for Arsenal again.

Post #499071  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:23 pm 

Wenger's team played better against Atletico Madrid than that shot show tonight.

Post #499072  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:25 pm 

Niall wrote:
Wenger's team played better against Atletico Madrid than that shot show tonight.

Wenger *%^@** the semi and did not get to the final pretend

Seriously pretend Arsène had a great European record

Post #499073  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:28 pm 

Just read the comments here

The club is finished

Over

We’re done.

Who didn’t expect this.

Post #499074  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:30 pm 

Niall wrote:

We played a team who were one man short after 10 minutes and we were at home and we failed to win the game. How was that a better performance.

Post #499075  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Niall wrote:

We were far more impressive against Atletico than tonight and at least had a pattern of play that was recognisable. They were a much better side than anyone we played in Europe this season.

Post #499076  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:34 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

That’s 12 or 13 players

Has a big club ever sold 13 and bought 12 in? As much as we'd like to see it happen it just doesn't.

I'd be surprised if we bought more than four players.

There is a lot of deadwood in the club. We cannot get rid of it all in one window. Have to pick off the four or five we most want rid of,or are going anyway and replace those areas.

Post #499077  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:35 pm 

Having taken an hour to think about it - what really hurts is the fact that once Chelsea scored the team stopped trying. By the time it was 3-0 there was total and absolute surrender. That’s what is unforgivable.

Emery and each and every player needs to be asked about this.

Post #499078  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:39 pm 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We were far more impressive against Atletico than tonight and at least had a pattern of play that was recognisable. They were a much better side than anyone we played in Europe this season.

Willian on the bench

Think again mate

Post #499079  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:43 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Having taken an hour to think about it - what really hurts is the fact that once Chelsea scored the team stopped trying. By the time it was 3-0 there was total and absolute surrender. That’s what is unforgivable.

Emery and each and every player needs to be asked about this.

I thought the same. No *%^@*** fight in any of them.

Now totally given up on Özil. Čech gone, Kos and Monreal done. Kolasinac not good enough. Xhaka taking the piss. Those six are a lot for one team to replace before we even consider the squadies who are not even in the first xi.

Post #499080  Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:51 pm 

Looking for a link to Emery’s press conference after the game but nothing up yet. If I see one positive comment from any of the players on any of their social media pages I could lose it big time.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12474, 12475, 12476, 12477, 12478, 12479, 12480 ... 14269  Next