Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 107 guests

Post #505401  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Niall wrote:
I don't think Ljungberg should be the next manager, but I see Juan Carlos Carcedo as Emery's assistant rather than Freddie. Ljungberg was touted as more a conduit with the younger players coming into the squad.

So is Ljungberg a cone man in your view? What else does he do? I agree with you, however, when you say you don’t think Ljungberg should be Arsenal’s next manager. But it seems some people do.

No I wouldn't descrbe him as a cone man, I'm sure he has an input mainly in regard to the younger players. However, I'd say Emery & Carcedo run the first team themselves and call the shots.

Post #505402  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:01 pm 

Caught a little of the action between Pool & City. Boy, do they move so much faster. Emery's style is so boringly slow.

Post #505403  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:53 am 

City and 'Pool is video game football. That's another level altogether.
As for Emery, he didn't become a bad manager overnight. The guy is a proven manager He has managed sides with both less and more talent than The Arsenal. I'm inclined to give him more than a year and third of a season, the players he needs, to prove himself.

Post #505404  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:40 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
City and 'Pool is video game football. That's another level altogether.
As for Emery, he didn't become a bad manager overnight. The guy is a proven manager He has managed sides with both less and more talent than The Arsenal. I'm inclined to give him more than a year and third of a season, the players he needs, to prove himself.

Where and who needs replacing?
What type of players does he need? And to play what type of football?

I think he has a very expensive buy in Pépé, who he has not been able to get much out of. Or is Pépé really that bad?
Ceballos is another supposed good player. But he has given very little in terms of end-product to our very strong frontline.
Why is Kola preferred to Tierney, when Tierney is clearly better in what he does.

I put it down to the inability to organise the team, and coach them to success. Week-in, week-out, look at how disjointed the play is.

Post #505405  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:49 am 

"on the gap between us and the top four...
It depends because now Chelsea and Leicester are with Liverpool and Manchester City - they have got a difference between them and us. But also, we have Manchester United and Tottenham behind us. It's been a very equal competition with a lot of teams, but really now the difference that Chelsea and Leicester have created with us... they've had time to be consistent. The competition is 38 matches and now we are behind them with nine points difference. It's good for them but we have time to achieve and recover that difference."

He forgot Sheff Utd, yes Sheff Utd, is ahead of us!

Post #505406  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:16 am 

If emery and the arsenal hierarchy are churning out the ‘patience’ line, saying there is plenty of time to close the gap to top 4 shows they really have no idea about the Arsenal fan base. We are the fans that have been told to be patient for 14 years. Any outside criticism of impatience from Arsenal fans is hugely misplaced.

Post #505407  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:16 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Chelsea are doing really well so far, they’re even ahead of City at the moment. And they have a worse defense on paper than Arsenal. We need to strengthen certain positions, but there’s no excuse for the terrible football we’ve played the last year and there are virtually no signs we’re about to improve.

Post #505408  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:56 am 

Hoping things turn around fast though, I've just managed to get tickets to the Southampton game. It will be my first Arsenal visit in about 10 years, but watching us play this season I'm not sure it's a great decision...

Post #505409  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:22 am 

Hazuki wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Chelsea are doing really well so far, they’re even ahead of City at the moment. And they have a worse defense on paper than Arsenal. We need to strengthen certain positions, but there’s no excuse for the terrible football we’ve played the last year and there are virtually no signs we’re about to improve.

Exactly, but Chelsea have a simple system 4 at the back, 2 holding mids, 3 attacking mids and 1 front man.

The 4 defenders know their shape, positioning and discipline - and they have chopped and changed that defence with young players like Tomori and James coming in. The 2 in midfield, again, hold their shape - you don't see Jorginho/Kovacic/Kante wandering out to the wing and it is rare their are gaping holes for players to run straight at the back 4.
The 3 attacking mids are able to keep their width, track back and get in the box.

Really the 4-2-3-1 is dead simple. It offers natural balance in nearly all aspects of the game.

Post #505410  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:28 am 

David Ornstein of The Athletic claims ‘the internal view’ to be that Arsenal ‘had been dominating play, creating doubts in their opponents’ minds and building momentum’

I'd rather the club said nothing. Has there ever been a point in Arsenal's recent history when the club were so out of touch with the fans?

Post #505411  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:54 am 

I would move back to 4-5-1. I was very disappointed in some of the players attitudes in the last couple of matches. I don't care whether they think Emery is on his last legs - 100% is required every game. Aubameyang was one of the main culprits in the last match. Make them captain and they are on the way out of the club before you know it.

Post #505412  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

I've looked in a few times but as I have a scroll button I've no idea what AG has been saying.

I did, however, notice Top Gun telling heinous lies about me.

What specifically dude? I always thought you were a good sport

Welcome back btw

You made a post claiming I'd posted during half-time in the spanking at Old Trafford. I know this is a lie because at the time I was in the bloody ground drinking as much beer as I could in 15 minutes!

(I wouldn't have mentioned it but Decaf did say "People are having to find really petty issues to pick fights over" and I didn't want to let people down so soon after coming back)

Post #505413  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:19 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I would move back to 4-5-1. I was very disappointed in some of the players attitudes in the last couple of matches. I don't care whether they think Emery is on his last legs - 100% is required every game. Aubameyang was one of the main culprits in the last match. Make them captain and they are on the way out of the club before you know it.

I thought Lacazette was also very poor yesterday. With regards to the players’ attitudes I guess the issue is whether their performances were driven by a lack of effort or they simply played badly despite trying. I’ve no idea which one it was, although I hope it was the latter.

Post #505414  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I thought Lacazette was also very poor yesterday. With regards to the players’ attitudes I guess the issue is whether their performances were driven by a lack of effort or they simply played badly despite trying. I’ve no idea which one it was, although I hope it was the latter.

What has worried me most recently is that (to me) it does look like the players are trying but they don't seem to know what they're supposed to be doing. The biggest problem as I see it is there's no connections between different areas of the team. I may well be wrong but I can't help thinking that having different coaches for different parts of the team may be stopping them playing as a team rather than separate units.

Post #505415  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:34 am 

btw thanks for sorting my avatar, Rog.

Post #505416  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:35 am 

In 50 years supporting Arsenal I can't remember being as bored or disinterested as I am now. Saturday's defeat barely registered, apart from being surprised Leicester only scored 2.

Emery is clueless, an awful manager. And if Raul and Edu can't see that then they are as culpable as he is. But if it really boils down to Silent Stan not wanting to fork out £6m to pay off Emery then there is no hope for us. If we are stuck with him for the rest of the season I won't be watching, or caring.

Post #505417  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:45 am 

Not sure if this will work but I've been tweeting 'on this day' stuff from my Arsenal collection and this is today's. If there is any interest I'll keep copying them here.

https://twitter.com/N5_1BU/status/1193829382743306241

edit - oh well, you'll have to follow the link.

editedit - if you want to see previous ones follow this link https://twitter.com/search?q=%40n5_1bu% ... ery&f=live

Post #505418  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:02 am 

tomc wrote:
In 50 years supporting Arsenal I can't remember being as bored or disinterested as I am now. Saturday's defeat barely registered, apart from being surprised Leicester only scored 2.

Emery is clueless, an awful manager. And if Raul and Edu can't see that then they are as culpable as he is. But if it really boils down to Silent Stan not wanting to fork out £6m to pay off Emery then there is no hope for us. If we are stuck with him for the rest of the season I won't be watching, or caring.

It's like the fag end days of George Graham's tenure. A team clearly not good enough in most departments, players lacking motivation, boring football being served up on a weekly basis, management losing the plot, a lack of ambition.Everything Emery says reeks of a lack of ambition.

Post #505419  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:02 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:

:58big-emoticons:

Post #505420  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:04 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Not sure if this will work but I've been tweeting 'on this day' stuff from my Arsenal collection and this is today's. If there is any interest I'll keep copying them here.

https://twitter.com/N5_1BU/status/1193829382743306241

edit - oh well, you'll have to follow the link.

editedit - if you want to see previous ones follow this link https://twitter.com/search?q=%40n5_1bu% ... ery&f=live

You can add twitter feeds directly now.

Post #505421  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
What specifically dude? I always thought you were a good sport

Welcome back btw

You made a post claiming I'd posted during half-time in the spanking at Old Trafford. I know this is a lie because at the time I was in the bloody ground drinking as much beer as I could in 15 minutes!

(I wouldn't have mentioned it but Decaf did say "People are having to find really petty issues to pick fights over" and I didn't want to let people down so soon after coming back)

I think your right and I think I owe you an apology as it was Lom posting that not you from a quick glance back. You’ve both got quite distinctive avatars and I probably confused you. Wasn’t intentional.

Post #505422  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 am 

Niall wrote:
Everything Emery says reeks of a lack of ambition.

What nonsense Niall. Everything is going to plan, don't you know ?

Post #505423  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:33 am 

warrior wrote:
Niall wrote:
Everything Emery says reeks of a lack of ambition.

What nonsense Niall. Everything is going to plan, don't you know ?

Good ebening Rog, I respect a lot your intensity, the structure of your post, eeeeh, how you execute your posting game-plan, your hair and your hair colour. My message is clear but its very difficult.

Post #505424  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:58 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
What has worried me most recently is that (to me) it does look like the players are trying but they don't seem to know what they're supposed to be doing. The biggest problem as I see it is there's no connections between different areas of the team. I may well be wrong but I can't help thinking that having different coaches for different parts of the team may be stopping them playing as a team rather than separate units.

You could be right. Just looking at the official handbook, in addition to the Head Coach Unai Emery there is a whole page listing the First Team Coaching Staff with nine names (and photos) on it. Freddie Ljungberg is the Assistant Head Coach & Transition Partner, Juan Carlos Carcedo is the Assistant Head Coach, Pablo Villanueva is the First Team Coach, Javi Garcia is the Goalkeeping Coach, Shad Forsyth is the Head of Performance, Gary O’Driscoll is the Medical Director, Chris Morgan in the First Team Senior Physiotherapist, Julen Masach is the Fitness Coach, and Edu is the Technical Director.

It seems obvious that O’Driscoll is the club doctor and Morgan is the physiotherapist, while Garcia coaches the keepers. Masach must presumably be some sort of supremo at getting and keeping players fit. But it doesn’t seem so clear to say what Edu does as the Technical Director. Nor what the division of responsibilities between the two Assistant Head Coaches Ljungberg (Transition Partner must mean something) and Carcedo are, as well as the First Team Coach Villanueva and the Head of Performance Forsyth. For example, who coaches the defenders, midfielders or forwards?

Post #505425  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

You could be right. Just looking at the official handbook, in addition to the Head Coach Unai Emery there is a whole page listing the First Team Coaching Staff with nine names (and photos) on it. Freddie Ljungberg is the Assistant Head Coach & Transition Partner, Juan Carlos Carcedo is the Assistant Head Coach, Pablo Villanueva is the First Team Coach, Javi Garcia is the Goalkeeping Coach, Shad Forsyth is the Head of Performance, Gary O’Driscoll is the Medical Director, Chris Morgan in the First Team Senior Physiotherapist, Julen Masach is the Fitness Coach, and Edu is the Technical Director.

It seems obvious that O’Driscoll is the club doctor and Morgan is the physiotherapist, while Garcia coaches the keepers. Masach must presumably be some sort of supremo at getting and keeping players fit. But it doesn’t seem so clear to say what Edu does as the Technical Director. Nor what the division of responsibilities between the two Assistant Head Coaches Ljungberg (Transition Partner must mean something) and Carcedo are, as well as the First Team Coach Villanueva and the Head of Performance Forsyth. For example, who coaches the defenders, midfielders or forwards?

God be with the days when every club had a gaffer and he was in charge.

Post #505426  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

What I don’t really get is this thing where the new manager brings their whole staff with them every time they move. If you need to replace the
Manager then you have to replace the whole staff and start again. It’s loopy

This sounds proper Brexit but for example why couldn’t we appoint a British or Irish goalkeeping coach. You have a Spanish goalkeeping coach providing advices to a German keeper on playing out from the back. No advices on variation or whatever. This could be contributing to why we are getting nowhere with that tactic.

Should be The manager gets to appoint his assistant coach and that’s it and all the rest should be decided by the technical director.

When you take a step back and look at that huge list of coaches and consider how unorganised we look it’s remarkable.

Post #505427  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm 

warrior wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

Welcome back, Exiled. By the way, I'm sure Rog would have sorted it a bit more swiftly if your initial post hadn't required cryptanalysis via plugboard by a team of analysts conversant in Schreibmax and Fernlesegerät. Impenetrable. That's right - impenetrable.

Post #505428  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:01 pm 

Thing is though we have good players across the squad now. Could you honestly say that the day Arsene left.

We have a good goalkeeper, 2 good full backs, the most sought after winger in europe this summer, a strong defensive midfielder and promising energetic 19 year old French player and 2 world class strikers. Aside from that we have a few promising youngsters who can sporadically contribute well.

Surely there’s enough there for a manager to be able to build a competitive enough side to show a glimpse of form here and there.

The club have simply got to change it. It’s a spectacular and highly visible car crash.

Post #505429  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

What first got me thinking about this was last season there were a couple of clips of us defending free kicks/corners where you could see Emery go back to the dug out and one of the other coaches sent into the technical area to coach it. It was complimented by the commentator but I couldn't help thinking that when you get the ball from a corner you have to have some idea of how to attack with it but you've got a defensive coach on the touchline so how does that work?

Also I've read a few times that the team practices in separate units (attack/midfield/defence I'd guess) and whilst 2+2 often equals 5 when I read this and then see the lack of connections in the team I can't help wondering if the problems really is that simple because I firmly believe our players are one hell of a lot better than their performances would suggest.

Post #505430  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

What I don’t really get is this thing where the new manager brings their whole staff with them every time they move. If you need to replace the
Manager then you have to replace the whole staff and start again. It’s loopy

I think maybe it has always been like that, it's just now there are far more people to move around so we notice it more. Having said that maybe with 'manager' responsibilities generally moving away from the 'head coach' it would certainly seem logical to have different departments within the set up run by club man rather than manager men.

(btw that misquote ain't nothing - if Decaf had only mentioned petty arguments rather than very petty ones I probably wouldn't have mentioned it!)

Post #505431  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:09 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
warrior wrote:

Welcome back, Exiled. By the way, I'm sure Rog would have sorted it a bit more swiftly if your initial post hadn't required cryptanalysis via plugboard by a team of analysts conversant in Schreibmax and Fernlesegerät. Impenetrable. That's right - impenetrable.

haha - cheers mate.

Didn't mean to cause confusion, I thought the Prince hat-tip was fairly obvious but we always see what we thought of ourselves as obvious.

Post #505432  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Thing is though we have good players across the squad now. Could you honestly say that the day Arsene left.

We have a good goalkeeper, 2 good full backs, the most sought after winger in europe this summer, a strong defensive midfielder and promising energetic 19 year old French player and 2 world class strikers. Aside from that we have a few promising youngsters who can sporadically contribute well.

Surely there’s enough there for a manager to be able to build a competitive enough side to show a glimpse of form here and there.

The club have simply got to change it. It’s a spectacular and highly visible car crash.

I think we're at the stage where Cannon Balls could do a better job.

Yes, I really did say that.

Post #505433  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:37 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
I think we're at the stage where Cannon Balls could do a better job.

Yes, I really did say that.

Post match press conferences would be even more confusing though.

Post #505434  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:46 pm 

Very depressing watching us these days. I have been watching more non Arsenal football just to get some enjoyment out of the game and not have any emotions. I am hoping we turn the corner. Chelsea seemed to be on a very good run. Lamps had a slow start but seems to have turned the corner....for the time being. Fortunes change in football quickly as we all know.

Tottenham don't look like last season's Tottenham. They seem decent enough but haven't been able to kill teams off like they could. That has helped us in terms of CL hopes. Man Utd is playing a wee bit better as well and that is not good for us. Leicester may pull off another miracle and get a top 4. They lost their best players sans Varny and are still good. Especially for a club that is not one of the major clubs. Credit to Rodgers and their management.

There is something in the club, its the same intangibles. It's been there since Wenger and seems to be pervasive no matter who is running the squad.

Post #505435  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:07 pm 

What position(s) should we spending for in January and next summer?

Post #505436  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:20 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

haha - cheers mate.

Didn't mean to cause confusion, I thought the Prince hat-tip was fairly obvious but we always see what we thought of ourselves as obvious.

G'Day Exiled.

Been in jug?

Post #505437  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:50 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
What position(s) should we spending for in January and next summer?

Dugout

Post #505438  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:28 pm 

Surely the Arsenal hierarchy don’t believe their quotes about Emery being the right man and the club is moving forward etc. I think I’m right in saying in every single measurable stat for on pitch displays we are worse than last year which was worse than the year before.

Post #505439  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:33 pm 

With the mess that wenger left us with I predicted 8 years to get us back challenging for the title. That was based on things getting worse before they got better due to the lack of money and big players going for knock down sums, players being impossible to shift and too many old players......it was also based on Arsenal making the right decision in terms of manager, recruitment etc a lot more times than they made a wrong one (you can’t expect every decision to be right but we need at least 75% success rate)
At the moment nothing I’ve seen betters that 8 year prediction, it only worsens it.
To think, of the board had pulled their finger out, realised what was going on and made the right calls in 2015 we could have enticed Klopp when we sacked Wenger.

Post #505440  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:36 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:

What first got me thinking about this was last season there were a couple of clips of us defending free kicks/corners where you could see Emery go back to the dug out and one of the other coaches sent into the technical area to coach it. It was complimented by the commentator but I couldn't help thinking that when you get the ball from a corner you have to have some idea of how to attack with it but you've got a defensive coach on the touchline so how does that work?

For Leicester's first corner on Saturday all of our players were in the penalty box. The whole team. I've no idea what defensive coaching manual that came from but it's just mad. Whether that is down to separation of coaching or not, I don't know, but it is blatantly obvious that the coaching is a mess.

Welcome back, btw.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12633, 12634, 12635, 12636, 12637, 12638, 12639 ... 14269  Next