Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 107 guests

Post #508161  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:17 am 

I think the top 4 is a bridge too far. Europa qualification is within our sites.

Post #508162  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:36 am 

Rich wrote:
All about Pépé. He’s so strong on the ball, always with the ball to feet and a half turn or spin, he hardly ever loses it.
He rolls his man and sets away Lacazette, back to Pépé scuffed to Nelson and scuffed in.
Tip: don’t get tight to Pépé

Morning Rich,

Pépé has amazingly quick feet, skill and balance. I'm not sure I'd agree that he hardly ever loses it, though, I think he loses it quite a lot but mainly because he is always trying a trick or dummy or just overelaborating a bit, sometimes in inappropriate areas.

He's the best dribbler in the team and I think is also the most dangerous player we have, apart from Aubameyang because of his goals. There is no doubt that Pépé has the potential to do big things but he feels a bit like an unpolished diamond at the moment. He needs some proper coaching to shape his game and iron out those rough edges. I reckon that, coupled with a few hours in the gym each week to build his core body strength, and we could have a monster on our hands.

He could explode like Henry did, although I don't know if he has the game intelligence and mentality that Henry had.

Post #508163  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:38 am 

Martinelli impressed again. He always seems to make things happen.

Post #508164  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:51 am 

Leeds were great in the first half and made every Arsenal player look poor. Much, much better second half when every Arsenal player except Holding, who presumably is still some way from being adequately fit for first team football, improved greatly.

Guendouzi showed the drive that he started the season with and from a poor first 45 minutes made himself a candidate for our man of the match. I’ve no doubt Arteta must have been delighted with the second half.

Well done to Xhaka too for his second half performance. He did well in the second 45 minutes. I wouldn’t go as far as one of the people near me who considered him our man of the match but he did do very well in the second half.

Post #508165  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:57 am 

socrates wrote:
Martinelli impressed again. He always seems to make things happen.

I didn’t actually think that was one of Martinelli’s better games. Good but not great.

Post #508166  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:05 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Arteta set the standard he wants- they fell short. What is he going to do about it? Yep, harsh. But that’s what u get paid to do.

Or do you say. We give him 2 chances or 3. Every game they should come out to give 100%. The malaise at this club needs to end. I was hoping Arteta would be the person to correct it. The jury is out for me on this issue.

Here we have folks ..... a classic example of the disastrous effect fluoride can have on the brain cells .

You've come up with all this and you didn't even watch the match :laughing7: :laughing7: .

A team allowed to wallow aimlessly under Wenger , Emery and Ljungberg ; everyone and their dog rabbiting on about the need for new players .

Arteta has turned that around ..... installed fight , passion ... amazing .

Raising the skill level , tinkering with personel , playing style will take longer

We were poor in the first half but that in some ways is to be expected .

Leeds would have far more "fire in their belly" ..... underdogs , away from home ... there is no way around that .

Little teams often perform heroics in the FA Cup that is part of the magic of the competition .

Given time ; a few $$$$ to spend I think Mikel will be become one of our best ever managers .

Post #508167  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:35 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Arteta set the standard he wants- they fell short. What is he going to do about it? Yep, harsh. But that’s what u get paid to do.

Or do you say. We give him 2 chances or 3. Every game they should come out to give 100%. The malaise at this club needs to end. I was hoping Arteta would be the person to correct it. The jury is out for me on this issue.

Here we have folks ..... a classic example of the disastrous effect fluoride can have on the brain cells .

You've come up with all this and you didn't even watch the match :laughing7: :laughing7: .

A team allowed to wallow aimlessly under Wenger , Emery and Ljungberg ; everyone and their dog rabbiting on about the need for new players .

Raising the skill level , tinkering with personel , playing style will take longer

Leeds would have far more "fire in their belly" ..... underdogs , away from home ... there is no way around that .

Little teams often perform heroics in the FA Cup that is part of the magic of the competition .

Given time ; a few $$$$ to spend I think Mikel will be become one of our best ever managers .

True I did not see the match but I did look at a number of sites like the guardian where they were doing a live blog and read them thru. Plus comments on a number of sites. First half figures of passing and also this site where Xhaka hardly came up smelling of roses. Did he play well first half, did the team turn up, have they only turned up for half a game for about 9 months - in other words slipping back to old ways. Yep they picked it up but we were at home and couldn't bother for half a game. The question remains will Arteta cop this and for how long. He did say he would not tolerate it -let us see if he is true to his word. Remember Emery tried and failed with Özil. Maybe he will turn it around. But simply they quickly slipped back to their old habits. Lets see the level of effort in the next game and then the next and next.

Post #508168  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:02 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

True I did not see the match but I did look at a number of sites like the guardian where they were doing a live blog and read them thru. Plus comments on a number of sites. First half figures of passing and also this site where Xhaka hardly came up smelling of roses. Did he play well first half, did the team turn up, have they only turned up for half a game for about 9 months - in other words slipping back to old ways. Yep they picked it up but we were at home and couldn't bother for half a game. The question remains will Arteta cop this and for how long. He did say he would not tolerate it -let us see if he is true to his word. Remember Emery tried and failed with Özil. Maybe he will turn it around. But simply they quickly slipped back to their old habits. Lets see the level of effort in the next game and then the next and next.

They did and he roused them for the 2nd half. They were excellent 2nd half.

Post #508169  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:20 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Holy moly. That’s a bit savage.

We give him 2 chances or 3. Every game they should come out to give 100%. The malaise at this club needs to end. I was hoping Arteta would be the person to correct it. The jury is out for me on this issue.

Arteta needs to be given time and understanding to restructure the midfield and get 2 players in the centre who can play a pressing game but distribute the ball faster and more accurately. I think a younger cazorla would be really suited to the way Arteta wants us to play. As it stands we sold Aaron Ramsey and didn’t replace him. It’s hurt us so badly and we can longer control or dominate any midfield in the league.

Our midfield is still non existent, Guendouzi is too raw right now and Xhaka is well xhaka. All our creativity comes from players in wide positions

Only transfer windows will rectify this, be prepared to win some but also lose some whilst personnel can be a exchanged. Arteta has done a great job of picking the players up and restoring confidence but isn’t a miracle worker. The quality just isn’t there right now.

Post #508170  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:13 am 

Stefan Schwarz today in 1995 (v Millwall).

Attachments:

Post #508171  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:19 am 

They are hinting at non football reasons for his departure. If he's a good center back, I'm hoping we take a look at him

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/01/07/s ... star-pays/

Post #508172  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:29 am 

Gaz, I think you make a lot of good points but in my view it was wrong to single out Xhaka for the first half, if that was what you were trying to do. Every outfield player underperformed and Xhaka was no worse than others, and even better than some.

At least he went on a very impressive run in the first half even though he badly messed up the final delivery. He was no more to blame than others for the first half, and was one of the reasons the second half was so much better.

I can’t speak for kiwipete, but your initial post made me understand his reaction to it. I think criticism is made more meaningful when it’s deserved and to be honest I don’t think criticism of Xhaka for last night is warranted. Xhaka isn’t great and there will probably be opportunities to justifiably moan about him in the future. My advice is to single him out on those occasions.

Post #508173  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz, I think you make a lot of good points but in my view it was wrong to single out Xhaka for the first half, if that was what you were trying to do. Every outfield player underperformed and Xhaka was no worse than others, and even better than some.

At least he went on a very impressive run in the first half even though he badly messed up the final delivery. He was no more to blame than others for the first half, and was one of the reasons the second half was so much better.

I can’t speak for kiwipete, but your initial post made me understand his reaction to it. I think criticism is made more meaningful when it’s deserved and to be honest I don’t think criticism of Xhaka for last night is warranted. Xhaka isn’t great and there will probably be opportunities to justifiably moan about him in the future. My advice is to single him out on those occasions.

Spot on. I would go further and say that, overall, Xhaka has improved since Arteta arrived.

The first half was poor, really poor, but credit also to Leeds who I thought was excellent. Nice to see MA can provoke a reaction, I was watching him on the touchline during the first half and you could see he was pissed off with the players. My concern from the night was Holding's distribution which was shite. Put us under all sorts of pressure. Hopefully, that's fixable as he's a decent tackler and wins his fair share of headers, but he can't keep giving the ball away that cheaply.

Post #508174  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:07 pm 

We were shocking 1st half and some of the credit for that must go to Leeds who started impressively. Our mf was non existent and defense error prone and sloppy. Guendouzi could take a leaf out of Fabregas book and scan who’s around him before receiving the ball, he might then be a little more circumspect about when h lets the ball run across him.

Arteta deserves credit for turning things around in the 2nd half, early signs are that we may have landed on a proper coach, liking everything about him at the moment.

Post #508175  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:13 pm 

Holding had a stinker, maybe gets a pass for last night due to rustiness.

Will be interesting to see if Arteta is allowed to bring in another cb this window, lord knows we need more quality in that position.

Post #508176  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:34 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Arteta deserves credit for turning things around in the 2nd half, early signs are that we may have landed on a proper coach, liking everything about him at the moment.

Same. He's re-energised me as a fan and that took some doing!

Post #508177  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:45 pm 

So Xhaka has improved because he had an ok 45 minute period out of 90 againest a championship side.

I just don’t buy it at all. Take a look what James Maddison and Henderson are doing week in week out to see the level we need our midfielders to be at.

Even in the 2nd half he looked slow, was Clumsy and as usual was lucky to stay on the pitch. It seemed a classic Xhaka performance. Really not sure what has changed

Post #508178  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:46 pm 

Europa is winnable. Man Utd seems the toughest club left, but also Roma, Porto, Sevilla appear to be the toughest probably.

I'd like to see Man Utd lose out. I am not so sure we can beat them a 2nd time.

Post #508179  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:59 pm 

I love reading Chelsea starting to become a money pit for Roman.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51017102

Post #508180  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:15 pm 

Referee was surprisingly lenient last night, much to our advantage for a change.

Post #508181  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:19 pm 

[quote="socrates"][/quote]

I know Soc, American leaves me lost for words too.

Post #508182  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:47 pm 

The forums tables crashed - It's fixed now.
I'll optimise them now to make them more responsive - It might go offline again for a bit while it does it.

Edit - Tables optimised now. The forum should be a bit zippier now.

Post #508183  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:11 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
All about Pépé. He’s so strong on the ball, always with the ball to feet and a half turn or spin, he hardly ever loses it.
He rolls his man and sets away Lacazette, back to Pépé scuffed to Nelson and scuffed in.
Tip: don’t get tight to Pépé

Morning Rich,

Pépé has amazingly quick feet, skill and balance. I'm not sure I'd agree that he hardly ever loses it, though, I think he loses it quite a lot but mainly because he is always trying a trick or dummy or just overelaborating a bit, sometimes in inappropriate areas.

He's the best dribbler in the team and I think is also the most dangerous player we have, apart from Aubameyang because of his goals. There is no doubt that Pépé has the potential to do big things but he feels a bit like an unpolished diamond at the moment. He needs some proper coaching to shape his game and iron out those rough edges. I reckon that, coupled with a few hours in the gym each week to build his core body strength, and we could have a monster on our hands.

He could explode like Henry did, although I don't know if he has the game intelligence and mentality that Henry had.

Henry was exceptional in that he added to his game from season to season. We'll only see if Pépé has anything like the intelligence and mentality of a Henry if he is given consistent gametime, and has the chance to figure out how he needs to play in this league. Henry himself needed a while to adjust. Being in and out of the side is not what Pépé needs.

I'm still puzzled by the reluctance (seemingly) of all three of our managers to start him. I wonder if he comes across as lackadaisical in training or something like that? I understand the need for discipline but we do need to accommodate different kinds of characters provided they are not disruptive and deliver on the field of play.

Post #508184  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:13 pm 

warrior wrote:
I'll optimise them now to make them more responsive - It might go offline again for a bit while it does it.

Thanks so much for making it a great place for us to seamlessly interact ... appreciate it :53big-emoticons:

Post #508185  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:15 pm 

Kudos Mikel, for changing the formation when it was needed :53big-emoticons:

Post #508186  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:31 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
warrior wrote:

Thanks so much for making it a great place for us to seamlessly interact ... appreciate it :53big-emoticons:

Come on gooner7, it's the least you'd expect from a man on such a massive salary.

Post #508187  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:44 pm 

Far more important than the tactics and such is the change in belief going on. Emery's tactics worked in Sevilla and brought him a lot of success and it could have worked with us. The simple fact of the matter is some of the players, too many probably, just didn't get along with him. Not saying its his fault, he inherited a team with no belief. One could argue the manager's at fault for any persistent lack of team belief.

No matter what. and didn't matter what the tactics we employed, if the squad as a whole lacks belief, we aren't going to be successful simple as that. I think Mikel coming in from a highly successful club gets automatic respect. Pep respects him highly so the players will from the onset.

Post #508188  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:23 pm 

Came home from my early morning walk and turned on tv and it is Man U 0 Man C 3 in the league cup. Yep I still hate Utd and their snide players like James. Put them to the sword.

Post #508189  Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 pm 

Well, out of Lamps, Emery and OGS, I didn't think Emery was going to be the first to go but that's how it turned out. Lampard is the most secure. I can't see OGS keeping his job. They'll change managers in the summer is my guess. If he can't hold down a Europa spot he may go before the season ends.

City continue their dominance. It's pretty much the only thing I like about City with money. They get to stick it to Man Utd.

Post #508190  Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
As it stands we sold Aaron Ramsey and didn’t replace him. It’s hurt us so badly and we can longer control or dominate any midfield in the league.

:laughing7: It's not like we sold Patrick Vieira in his prime ...... I can remember some pretty ordinary performances from Aaron .

Post #508191  Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:54 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
As it stands we sold Aaron Ramsey and didn’t replace him. It’s hurt us so badly and we can longer control or dominate any midfield in the league.

:laughing7: It's not like we sold Patrick Vieira in his prime ...... I can remember some pretty ordinary performances from Aaron .

Doesn't look like he's up to much at Juventus either.

Post #508192  Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:46 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yes so can I but contrast that to Monday when Granit Xhaka runs 30 yards forward with the ball at his feet before slipping over and our fans think he had a great game. Our standards have slipped so far

Guendouzi One paced, doesn’t create, doesn’t score, doesn’t cycle possession, can’t defend but can provide a bit of energy. He gets a pass because of his age but these guys make Ramsey look like Pele.

Post #508193  Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:29 am 

kiwipete wrote:

Hey kiwi,

Think yourself lucky that you don't have any brain cells to be effected by flouride then :laughing7:

Post #508194  Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:35 am 

grantyboy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Doesn't look like he's up to much at Juventus either.

Morning granty,

I saw Ramsey play for Wales u21 v England U21's when he was 17 and he was the best player on the park by a mile. I thought then that his potential was amazing and he would possibly be the next great PL midfielder, following the likes of Keane, Vieira and Gerrard.

Sadly, that leg break and other subsequent injuries have hindered his progress somewhat. He's still a very good player just not the player I think he might have become had injuries been kinder to him.

You could probably say the same of Diaby, what might he have been but for a virtual career-ending injury.

Post #508195  Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:50 am 

The Alan Alan celebration today in 1980.

Attachments:

Post #508196  Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:13 pm 

Came across this on youtube. Probably already seen by a few of you but not everyone.

Post #508197  Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:00 pm 

Palace away is a good road test for us. They are in transition so may have tactical issues. A road win is a nice confidence booster but being a derby, a draw may be all we get from it. I don't want to but I'm expecting a win. I want to manage my expectations.

We have some very winnable games coming up sans Chelsea away. I'm expecting us to go up the table. I also wonder what the rest of the league, especially the top 6 thinks of us now? The first half of Chelsea and the Man Utd game has to have raised some eyebrows. My guess is they are casting a wary eye and waiting what happens over the course of the season to see if we are real or not. My guess is they think its early days. The new manager bump and then we resort to type.

Post #508198  Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:43 pm 

Good interview with Alan Smith mainly about his career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB6xiUwuE1U&t=2232s

Post #508199  Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:08 pm 

Will take a look. He's been discussed on here from time to time.

Post #508200  Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:47 pm 

Interesting Alan Smith interview. Had no idea he played his last game for Leicester City against us knowing he was being sold to us. The manager shouldn't have played him. Put him in an awkward position.

Some interesting things such as he's only taken 2 PKs.

They mentioned the '88 league cup final. How did we lost to Luton? Were they that good or we had a bad day? They mentioned Amy Lawrence's book. I haven't thought of her in a while. Gotta be on the look out for it. Didn't know she wrote more than Arsenal books until I looked her up.

I felt a need to look at his highlights. Thanks for the link.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12702, 12703, 12704, 12705, 12706, 12707, 12708 ... 14269  Next