Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 257 guests

Post #496241  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:02 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
0MOH, I am impress with your writing style. I understand you self published and I congratulate you. Did u produce enough to market copies.
Thank you very much. 'The Seventeen Year Drought' was always intended as a personal pleasure project, so I produced only enough complimentary 'hard' copies for my family, friends and a few libraries. When I can get around to it I will make it freely available online. Although quite different in scope, the book covers the Arsenal years 1953-1970, the period of Jon Sowman's excellent 'The Long Sleep', which is commercially available, and which I heartily recommend, especially as part of the proceeds go to Bob Wilson's charity.

Post #496242  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. I think Ian Ure is one of the numerous Arsenal players whose reputation has little or no relationship with his actual capability as a player. Grossly under-rated. Didn't know he was an Arsenal fan as a kid. My first assumption is always that Scottish football fans support either Rangers or Celtic. Where did you hear that? As a kid I read his autobiography Ure's Truly, but I don't remember it being in that.
Thank you. In an Arsenal Match Programme he said he was a childhood Arsenal fan. He was a fine player - when we signed him he was regarded as one of Europe's top defenders, a vital man in Dundee winning the Scottish League in 1962 and also reaching the European Cup semi-final in 1963. On his own admission when he transferred to Manchester United he was already well past his best.

Post #496243  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:26 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
0MOH, I am impress with your writing style. I understand you self published and I congratulate you. Did u produce enough to market copies.
Thank you very much. 'The Seventeen Year Drought' was always intended as a personal pleasure project, so I produced only enough complimentary 'hard' copies for my family, friends and a few libraries. When I can get around to it I will make it freely available online. Although quite different in scope, the book covers the Arsenal years 1953-1970, the period of Jon Sowman's excellent 'The Long Sleep', which is commercially available, and which I heartily recommend, especially as part of the proceeds go to Bob Wilson's charity.

I will be interested in reading the book when it is available. I think it is a great achievement and I congratulate you. I read a lot and what you have reproduced on here is an easy read but shows an underlying wordsmith.

Post #496244  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:29 pm 

Don’t know if any of you watched that Harry’s heroes programme last night. Nonsense programme but in the middle there was a section where Merson broke down and admitted his gambling problems have re occurred.

Quite difficult to watch, he was one of my favourite players growing up and I was gutted when we sold him. Having seen him speak for after dinner twice, met him and read his books I worry he’ll always have serious problems. Hope he sorts himself out. Magic merse

Post #496245  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:37 pm 

I wonder if we can go 6 wins and 2 draws over the last 8 games and if so, will that be enough to get top 4?
Away to Wolves is going to be tough. They are not scared of any top side. We avoid any top 6 side but the sides we have to play below the top 6 contain some very hard nuts to crack.

Post #496246  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:04 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I will be interested in reading the book when it is available. I think it is a great achievement and I congratulate you. I read a lot and what you have reproduced on here is an easy read but shows an underlying wordsmith.

OMOH can consider selling as ebook at Amazon (or other platform/s) for 99 cents.

Post #496247  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Quite difficult to watch, he was one of my favourite players growing up and I was gutted when we sold him.

So was I, particularly as Merson was sold when he'd scored 99 goals for Arsenal, so one short of joining what's called the 100 Club.

Post #496248  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:45 pm 

See young Saka has scored 2 for England under 19s, he's definitely one for the future.

Post #496249  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:50 pm 

Goonie wrote:
OMOH can consider selling as ebook at Amazon (or other platform/s) for 99 cents.
Thanks Goonie - as it was a labour of love more than anything else, and I am not a professional writer, I am happy to make available online for free - once I work out how to do so!

Post #496250  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:40 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Good point. I know they gouge the authors but a great idea

Post #496251  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:33 am 

Draytonkid wrote:
See young Saka has scored 2 for England under 19s, he's definitely one for the future.

An assist as well, Saka isn’t 18 until September. Probably the most exciting youth prospect we have for me

Post #496252  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:35 am 

Hey Decaf - you getting ‘power shedding’ in your area - Eastern Cape, aren’t you? I’m in the Western Cape and we’re getting 5 hours of power cuts a day. Pain in the arse.

Post #496253  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:41 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/arsena ... unai-emery

Post #496254  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:59 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Ian Ure was also ahead of his time in terms of his preparation. Influenced by the great Australian runner Herb Elliott, he was into eating all the right foods well before many other British players. When we signed him he was regarded as one of the world's best defenders, and he remains one of my favourites. I wrote this of him: 'I have to select a man who admitted in his autobiography that he only became a footballer because as an unemployed eighteen year-old he had nothing better to do! Ure’s resilient and self-sufficient character was born out of his working-class upbringing in Ayr. He was only fifteen when his father died, and he soon learned how to look after his family. He put the hours in to make himself a model professional player, and wanted others to respect his worth. He could be hard-nosed and as unflinching in his contract bargaining as he was in the tackle. Arsenal was always his team as a lad, so when he moved south from Dundee in 1963 Highbury was a natural home. Ure was tall and lean, and his head of hair, as white as gin, gave him a striking presence. He was always immaculately turned out and fastidious as his team mate Jim Furnell recalled. ‘He had new white laces in his sparkling boots, new studs and meticulously taped his shin guards on. The tapes had to be spot-on, all the same length. He’d try about six pairs of shorts on until he got it right. He was unbelievable. Then Frank McLintock would ruffle his hair up and he’d go mad. Frank did that once before a team photo and when Ian saw his hair was ruffed up he ripped the photo up!’ Some may remember Ian Ure as a perfect combination of imperfections, especially when his mistakes led to losses, but considering he often had scant supporting cover from his midfield or attacking colleagues, he was mostly magnificent. He is in my side alongside Simpson and Neill as a carver of meat for men.'

I'm sure many of us would love to buy a copy if that option was available.

Post #496255  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:06 pm 

DHD wrote:
Hey Decaf - you getting ‘power shedding’ in your area - Eastern Cape, aren’t you? I’m in the Western Cape and we’re getting 5 hours of power cuts a day. Pain in the arse.

Indeed. You may have read about Grahamstown's water woes too. The electricity situation is pretty bad here because we have unscheduled power failures overlaid on the scheduled outage. Our local authority is a shambles. We were out for two days last week (they could not fix the problem until they fixed their 'cherrypicker', which evidently lacked a wheel ...) and came back on just in time for the scheduled outage.

People are pretty fed up.

Post #496256  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:23 pm 

Decaf wrote:
DHD wrote:

Indeed. You may have read about Grahamstown's water woes too. The electricity situation is pretty bad here because we have unscheduled power failures overlaid on the scheduled outage. Our local authority is a shambles. We were out for two days last week (they could not fix the problem until they fixed their 'cherrypicker', which evidently lacked a wheel ...) and came back on just in time for the scheduled outage.

People are pretty fed up.

I’m in Franschhoek. Such a beautiful place but I feel really sorry for the poor bastards trying to make a living - no power, no lights, no wifi, no tills, no cooking, no beer pumps. All means no commerce for 5 hours a day. Next cut due at 20:00 in about 90 mins. I was in the V & A Waterfont for a few days and you didn’t really notice it there because all the establishments have generators.

Post #496257  Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:44 pm 

Reiss Nelson on BT Sport 2 playing for England U21's v Poland U21's.

Post #496258  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:34 am 

Attachment:

Post #496259  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:16 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Reiss Nelson on BT Sport 2 playing for England U21's v Poland U21's.

an assist for England's goal

Post #496260  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:43 am 

A few highlights of the saves Leno has made this season, some routine but many 1v1's and made saves at crucial times. He single handedly kept us in the wolves home game.

For £20-25m is he £40-50m worse GK than Kepa or Alisson? I think Leno has improved as the season has gone on. His one area of weakness is crosses but that is also the area of weakness for many GK in the prem. I think he's adapted well to the physical side and the lack of clean sheets is much more the defences fault than his. I think we have a very good GK for a number of years

Last edited by warrior on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed YouTube link

Post #496261  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:59 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Goonie wrote:

As things stand with the assumption the out of contract players would all leave... Jenkinson and Chambers probably surplus as well.

GK: Leno
Defenders: Bellerin, Sokratis, Koscielny, Monreal, Mustafi, Mavropanos, Holding, Kolasinac
Midfielders: Xhaka, Torreira, Guendouzi
Attacking mids: Mhkitaryan, Iwobi, Özil
Forwards: Aubameyang, Lacazette
Squaddies: Martinez, AMN

Internal solutions? Nelson, Willock, Emile Smith Rowe and Nketiah should be good enough to be squaddies... offer new contract to Welbeck? Another GK would be nice but seems like we need another centre mid. Must make plans for Monreal and Koscielny's replacements as well.

Jenkinson will be with us till 2020 when his contract runs out. Literally no club will offer him the 45k he gets paid by us. It’s the reason we haven’t sold him yet.

If the leaked home and away shirts are anything to go by then the design team can *%^@ right off

Post #496262  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:07 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
French Football has produced their list of the 50 greatest managers. It's not mine. There are two Arsenal managers in it. Chapman at 24, Wenger at 32. Can't work out why Klopp is as high as 27. Sure, he won a couple of Bundesliga titles at Dortmund, comfortably Germany's second biggest club who, not under Klopp, have won the Champions League. But he hasn't won any at Liverpool yet, and may not this year either.

I suspect Wenger would have come higher had he not hanged around with us for so long like a bad smell, damaging the club in the process.

I reckon any assessment of Wenger at Arsenal has to be considered in stages. I accept some will want to split these into shorter periods, but an obvious way of doing it was the Highbury and Emirates years. What a difference!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 155314.amp

So are u satisfied that Wenger was better than George Graham . Given amount of spending, other teams who were competitors at the time I am not sure. I know one thing I rank Clough ahead of Mourinho, Klopp and maybe even Ferguson.

Ferguson? No way. Clough got it right for a period but sozzled off a cliff. Miurinho close but a one trick pony. Klopp, yeah but he hasn't been around long enough to compare.

Post #496263  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:18 pm 

Other thoughts, it was always interesting to see how Man U /Solskjaer would react after their little hype bubble of success was burst. Ditto spuds, ditto Chelsea. Lol. Arsenals early cherry popped and theres little fear of that returning in a hurry despite recent success. Nz actually try to do something to deal with weapons. Sadly too late. Wondering if Australia would be well served to do the same thing before some nutcase decides to go crazy here.

Post #496264  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:42 pm 

Oh it's not too shabby. Who wouldn't want a bruised banana....or a few stripes. And it's Addidas.

Attachments:

Post #496265  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:25 pm 

Zed wrote:
Oh it's not too shabby. Who wouldn't want a bruised banana....or a few stripes. And it's Addidas.

The new Argentina home shirt by Adidas is very nice. Should inspire Messi to win the Copa America.

Post #496266  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:39 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Other thoughts, it was always interesting to see how Man U /Solskjaer would react after their little hype bubble of success was burst. Ditto spuds, ditto Chelsea. Lol. Arsenals early cherry popped and theres little fear of that returning in a hurry despite recent success. Nz actually try to do something to deal with weapons. Sadly too late. Wondering if Australia would be well served to do the same thing before some nutcase decides to go crazy here.

Actually that happened years ago but there are always people pushing back against it. Farmers saying they need automatic weapons to deal with vermin. Do you not recall Port Arthur. Maybe too young. A lot of weapons that will still be available in NZ are still Banned in Australia. Apparently the gunman was able to legally buy them for a number of years in NZ.

Post #496267  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:11 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Zed wrote:

The new Argentina home shirt by Adidas is very nice. Should inspire Messi to win the Copa America.

Nice sky blue/white. Easy on the eyes.

Attachments:

Post #496268  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:41 pm 

On the new shirt debate ..

If they literally replicated the shirts from our 90-91 season including bruised banana they would enhance their Sales so incredibly it would be bonkers.

My favourite kit season as both shirts were the dogs bollocks

Post #496269  Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:42 pm 

I'm always very suspicious about the stuff that comes out about what the new shirts will be. Have the first claims ever ended up as the actual shirts? Apart from probably being based on the basic design of a red torso, white sleeves and crests, the only thing guaranteed is three stripes being somewhere, as that's the Adidas logo.

Post #496270  Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
On the new shirt debate ..

If they literally replicated the shirts from our 90-91 season including bruised banana they would enhance their Sales so incredibly it would be bonkers.

My favourite kit season as both shirts were the dogs bollocks

Totally agree. The 91-92 kits were perfect. My favourite shirts. Also loved the 2004-05 kits with the all blue away. The home shirt that year was the best Nike shirt imo.

Post #496271  Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:53 pm 

It may be iconic, but I don't like the bruised banana shirt. I loved the 98 home kit. Adidas can't replicate that though. I'd take their three stripes over the current pink arm bands any day

Post #496272  Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:21 pm 

Two other 2019/20 season kit concepts. Adidas does like the stripes. The black one a possible 3rd away kit.

Attachments:

Post #496273  Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:41 pm 

dec wrote:
It may be iconic, but I don't like the bruised banana shirt. I loved the 98 home kit. Adidas can't replicate that though. I'd take their three stripes over the current pink arm bands any day

Worthwhile to reproduce the 1988-91 away kit for next season - we won the league twice in that. Might as well reproduce the home shirt of that era as well. :)

Post #496274  Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:01 pm 

Zed wrote:
Two other 2019/20 season kit concepts. Adidas does like the stripes. The black one a possible 3rd away kit.

You have to like a kit with a sash. The 3rd kit is a chance to have a bit of fun, and that black kit is certainly that

Post #496275  Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:54 pm 

An updated version of this would be excellent.

Attachments:

Post #496276  Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:12 pm 

Another Adidas striped sash look.

Attachments:

Post #496277  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:54 am 

Spurs stadium nearly ready. From the pics it obviously looks fantastic inside - even if many if the ideas have been nicked from our stadium! 2 things will be interesting.
1) How it will affect Spurs home form. Arsenal actually had pretty decent home form when we first opened the Emirates, my memory is we drew games we shouldn't but didn't lose many early on.
2) How the repayment affects them. The money side of football has changed in the 13 years since we built our stadium, TV money is now a huge piece of clubs income rather than match day revenue - but then Spurs stadium cost £550m more than ours. The easiest and quickest way for Spurs to pay off the stadium is to sell their star players Kane £150m, Eriksen £70m, Ali £60m, Son £60m - that is more than 1/3rd of the entire stadium paid off - but as we know selling star players, replacing with cheap players, staying in the money gravy train that is the champions league is incredibly difficult

Post #496278  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:03 pm 

I could not resist looking at this story.

https://talksport.com/football/516335/a ... -contract/

One part of this story had better be fake news. If in any way the club has been considering extending this blokes contract then I know we have almost hit rock bottom. There can be simply no truth in this. Not good enough from day 1 at Arsenal.

Post #496279  Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:43 pm 

I envision the national team doing well on a regular basis due to a few factors. First, the English national team players are playing with or against some of the best in the world on a weekly basis so there is no fear factor. Salah, Siliva, Aguero, Hazard, and all the best in the league have made English players better in training as well and when the English team meets any country, they are confident. I've noticed the technical ability of the better English players have gotten better over the years. More continental in skill set. The foreign players have made it popular for the very young up and coming players to have more flair and the present players seem to have a bit more flair. I've noticed it in players like Sterling for example. Not just pace with some skill, he's a lot more skillful on the ball. I have to think its being in training with the foreign players.

Post #496280  Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:47 am 

Rich wrote:
Spurs stadium nearly ready. From the pics it obviously looks fantastic inside - even if many if the ideas have been nicked from our stadium! 2 things will be interesting.
1) How it will affect Spurs home form. Arsenal actually had pretty decent home form when we first opened the Emirates, my memory is we drew games we shouldn't but didn't lose many early on.
2) How the repayment affects them. The money side of football has changed in the 13 years since we built our stadium, TV money is now a huge piece of clubs income rather than match day revenue - but then Spurs stadium cost £550m more than ours. The easiest and quickest way for Spurs to pay off the stadium is to sell their star players Kane £150m, Eriksen £70m, Ali £60m, Son £60m - that is more than 1/3rd of the entire stadium paid off - but as we know selling star players, replacing with cheap players, staying in the money gravy train that is the champions league is incredibly difficult

It is unacceptable that Spurs now have a larger stadium than Arsenal but I don't expect the club will do anything about it as we lack any real ambition from our evil overlord.

[ 571641 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12404, 12405, 12406, 12407, 12408, 12409, 12410 ... 14292  Next