Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], old man of hoy and 105 guests

Post #512401  Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:11 am 

My favorite character actually even though he was in maybe a half dozen or so episodes. Unconfirmed rumor has it he resurfaced later on the SG forum as Cannon Balls' nemesis...

Post #512402  Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:32 pm 

The Athletic have a piece on tactical fouls and it turns out Arsenal employ the most tactical fouls in the league. They've calculated it as a % of opposition turnovers that end in a foul. Clearly not an exact science and open to lots of interpretation but tactical fouling is something that has come in to the game for some of the most successful sides who dominate the ball and look to stop quick counters before they happen. Very annoying but very effective

Post #512403  Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:07 pm 

I wouldn't mind seeing the break down by player.

Post #512404  Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
I have long resisted blocking anybody as it kind of renders the whole thing pointless. But finally I've had enough and blocked you know who as he/she has been seriously spoiling my enjoyment of the forum. That video on not being ignored was just too weird for me.

I haven’t watched the video but, and if not watching it has sent my thoughts off in completely the wrong direction I apologise, the desire to not be ignored does strike me as likely to be very important to him.

That video is from movie Fatal Attraction.

Post #512405  Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
Yesterday marked 1 yr ago of the EL Final in Baku. Some on here went to it. 4-1 loss aside, was it worth it?

No it wasn’t worth it. Not by a long way. The whole trip cost £1,143 and some pence that I wouldn’t have spent had I not gone. Total waste of money. It would have been worth it had we gone. But we didn’t just lose, we were humiliated in the second half.

Some people seemed upset by the way Koscielny left, with the shirts incident. After his performance in that final, I’m delighted he went. He was a fine player alongside Mertesacker and together they produced a good partnership. But that final showed Koscielny’s time was up. He made Giroud look like Ronaldo at his peak.

Thanks Bernard. The cost alone to get there would put one off. Overall, how was the city itself?

Post #512406  Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:34 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:
No it wasn’t worth it. Not by a long way. The whole trip cost £1,143 and some pence that I wouldn’t have spent had I not gone. Total waste of money. It would have been worth it had we gone. But we didn’t just lose, we were humiliated in the second half.

Some people seemed upset by the way Koscielny left, with the shirts incident. After his performance in that final, I’m delighted he went. He was a fine player alongside Mertesacker and together they produced a good partnership. But that final showed Koscielny’s time was up. He made Giroud look like Ronaldo at his peak.

Thanks Bernard. The cost alone to get there would put one off. Overall, how was the city itself?

Hardly saw anything of it. Fans were taken direct from the airport to the ground and back again after the game. Presumably to avoid fans of each club having much opportunity to mix as we had our own coaches and Chelsea had there’s. For the official trips we went from Stanstead and I heard the Chelsea fans planes went from Luton. I don’t recall seeing a single Chelsea fan at Stanstead before or after the flights there and back.

I went on an official club trip. To see more of the place you probably had to go under your own steam.

One thing I noticed in the coach trip to the stadium before the game (after it was too dark to really see much) was that there must be wide differences in people’s accommodation. I saw some huge mansions, but also high rise blocks of flats that from my memory of the place made the Gorbals in Glasgow, when I was taken there in the sixties as a kid, look luxurious.

Post #512407  Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:01 am 

Warrior, why are your journalists in the states attacking our police? (in m most sarcastic, red state mid American accent)

Post #512408  Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:05 pm 

Is anyone else getting seriously worried at the increasingly extreme, reactionary and downright bizarre actions of POTUS? Does anybody believe or trust him?

Is anybody getting seriously angry at the way Boris and his cronies are treating us like serfs with their lies, damn lies and statistics? Does anybody believe or trust them?

Post #512409  Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Hardly saw anything of it. Fans were taken direct from the airport to the ground and back again after the game. Presumably to avoid fans of each club having much opportunity to mix as we had our own coaches and Chelsea had there’s. For the official trips we went from Stanstead and I heard the Chelsea fans planes went from Luton. I don’t recall seeing a single Chelsea fan at Stanstead before or after the flights there and back.

I went on an official club trip. To see more of the place you probably had to go under your own steam.

One thing I noticed in the coach trip to the stadium before the game (after it was too dark to really see much) was that there must be wide differences in people’s accommodation. I saw some huge mansions, but also high rise blocks of flats that from my memory of the place made the Gorbals in Glasgow, when I was taken there in the sixties as a kid, look luxurious.

Interesting. Thanks Bernard.

Post #512410  Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:43 pm 

DHD wrote:
Is anyone else getting seriously worried at the increasingly extreme, reactionary and downright bizarre actions of POTUS? Does anybody believe or trust him?

Is anybody getting seriously angry at the way Boris and his cronies are treating us like serfs with their lies, damn lies and statistics? Does anybody believe or trust them?

Evidently about 42% of US voters still believe and/or trust Trump. That is as terrifying and depressing as the man himself.

Trump's antics dominate the media so much that Boris and co hardly get a look in. The site of Boris face makes me feel nauseous so not seeing it (or hearing the accompanying plummy tones) is a (very small) silver lining to the slow-motion spiral to catastrophe that is Trump's presidency.

I can't see where this is going to end. I don't think Trump has any limits.

Post #512411  Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:50 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Zed wrote:
Yesterday marked 1 yr ago of the EL Final in Baku. Some on here went to it. 4-1 loss aside, was it worth it?

It wasn't even worth watching it for free on TV. The result wasn't unexpected.

Yes we were utterly dire. Sadly even the manner and margin of defeat wasn't unexpected. You can't even say that it was a new low for us.

Post #512412  Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:33 pm 

DHD wrote:

Hi DHD.

Trump - Yes, extremely. Even by his own low standards, recent events have been frightening and his decision making suspect. there have been theories doing the rounds that he has got some form of Alzheimer's, and based on his actions and words that could be an valid interpretation. Did you hear his excuse to Fox News about why he hid in the bunker at the White House? Hopefully enough people in the administration will decide enough is enough, and either talk him into dialling back the rhetoric, or find him a way out of a position which has always been beyond his abilities.

I wonder if even kiwipete would defend him now?

Johnson - Yes, extremely, and no absolutely not. He is a buffoon who is way out of his depth, and has never excelled at anything he's done. Well, apart from getting women pregnant perhaps.

In both cases though, and I'm going to sound like a conspiracy theorist to some, I believe they are acting under the influence of other parties. In Trump's case, Putin has lots on him; lots being information which is compromising to say the least.
In Johnson's case, the malign influence of Tufton St is making him do and say things that, much as I dislike him, I don't think he genuinely believes. Again there's a Russian influence at play; the meeting at a mansion in Italy he attended with some Russian 'businessmen' who then donated a large amount to the Tory party, for example.

Whatever the truth, the sooner both are removed from office the better in my opinion. Otherwise the world will carry on heading towards hell in a very fast handcart.

Post #512413  Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:42 pm 

DHD wrote:

Trump is clearly displaying fascistic traits now. A revolting narcissist who needs to be removed from office.

My thoughts on this government are well documented here. I urge you all to watch Dispatches on C4 from tonight. There should be criminal charges now against these incompetents.

Incidentally, Admins. Has my IP address been banned from here? I can only get into the forum if I switch off my WiFi on my phone and use 4G or if I’m elsewhere when connected to WiFi. Cannot get on at home via any browser when connected to the web. Hopefully that’s not the case but if it is, why?

Post #512414  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:21 am 

Darren wrote:
Incidentally, Admins. Has my IP address been banned from here? I can only get into the forum if I switch off my WiFi on my phone and use 4G or if I’m elsewhere when connected to WiFi. Cannot get on at home via any browser when connected to the web. Hopefully that’s not the case but if it is, why?

Can you send me a PM of the problem IP ?

Thanx

Post #512415  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:21 am 

warrior wrote:
Darren wrote:

Can you send me a PM of the problem IP ?

Thanx

Had the same problem recently with TalkTalk but it cleared itself up. It was a fault on their system.

Did you try rebooting your router. Everything off and disconnected. Switch back on after 2 mins at least and internet should improve. If you haven't done this you should regularly every few weeks.

Post #512416  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:27 am 

DHD wrote:

Therein lies the problem. Devil if you do devil if you don't.

Trump is out of his depth ffs he's a relic which cannot control himself. There must be serious problems in the US if he's the best they can do......

Boris can do nothing right for 48% of the population. Whatever he does he's damned. I'd like to see the keyboard warriors sort out the crap he has to sort out.

Post #512417  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:00 am 

bubblechris wrote:
DHD wrote:

Trump is out of his depth ffs he's a relic which cannot control himself. There must be serious problems in the US if he's the best they can do......

Boris can do nothing right for 48% of the population. Whatever he does he's damned. I'd like to see the keyboard warriors sort out the crap he has to sort out.

I’d like to ask you if this had been a Corbyn administration overseeing 60000 deaths would you be saying the same thing

Post #512418  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:46 am 

bubblechris wrote:
DHD wrote:

Johnson caused most of the 'crap' in the first place - it's of his own making. His ineptitude, arrogance, bluster and cowardice in not sacking Cummings will define him.

Post #512419  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:21 am 

john1 wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Johnson caused most of the 'crap' in the first place - it's of his own making. His ineptitude, arrogance, bluster and cowardice in not sacking Cummings will define him.

Those who are being charitable to Boris excuse his recent performances by saying he isn’t well.

More objectively, it’s becoming clear that he just doesn’t have the smarts to do the job he’s always craved and I think he’s beginning to realise just how out of his depth he is. It wasn’t like this in your dreams, was it Boris? He is intellectually challenged but to be fair to him he’s pretty typical of privileged upper class males in Britain – educated to *%^@ but essentially a bit dim. He’s also lazy; he doesn’t read his briefs so he is particularly poor at responding to questions. He’s easily caught out, as has been shown time and again in recent pressers and at PMQs. When cornered, he thinks he can blag it with a few Latin phrases and a hefty dose of harrumphing, flag-waving and bluster. Taken with his well-documented traits and track record of amorality and lying, his performances in recent encounters can reasonably be summed up as execrable and downright embarrassing. As a result, both his credibility and his popularity are plummeting.

Post #512420  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:56 am 

A resounding yes and no, respectively. Since he was elected, I've been thinking that I've never seen a democratically elected president talk and behave like a dictator as often as Trump. Luckily, American democracy actually is robust enough to keep his worst instincts in check normally, but what we're seeing right now is fascism in action right in front of our eyes.

Forget about the looting, forget about the vandalism, those are just red herrings being used as an excuse to carry out the most vicious acts of police brutality I've witnessed in a long time. In the last week I've seen easily 50 different incidents that would've normally gone viral and resulted in police officers being fired or even prosecuted, but since so much is happening at the same time nothing seems to be investigated. A kid standing with nobody near him being shot in the head with a bean bag, an old man with walking sticks being shoved to the ground by police officers in riot gear because he didn't move away fast enough, mounted police swarming and using tear gas on peaceful protestors sitting on the ground and playing guitar.

They're targeting peaceful protestors, journalists, basically anyone they feel like beating up, to assert their power and knowing nothing will be done about it. The thing that sums it all up was when Trump had them tear gas a group of people - including a priest - outside a church for a photo op. The police literally tear gassed a priest away from his own church, so Trump could have his photo taken in front of it.

Anyone defending him at this point is actively defending fascism, there's no grey area.

Post #512421  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:00 pm 

Hope everyone is doing well, by the way. Would gladly have Emery back as a coach if we could erase the last four months or so.

Post #512422  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:29 pm 

Dafatone wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I’d like to ask you if this had been a Corbyn administration overseeing 60000 deaths would you be saying the same thing

I would say the same about any elected administration. They need to be supported and called out for factual errors not political errors. Do you seriously believe Starmer would do a better job?

Post #512423  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:39 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Dafatone wrote:

Do you seriously believe Starmer would do a better job?

Yes. And by miles.

Post #512424  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:56 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Dafatone wrote:

I would say the same about any elected administration. They need to be supported and called out for factual errors not political errors. Do you seriously believe Starmer would do a better job?

Are you being serious as I said 60000 deaths the herd immunity fiasco the delays in lockdown the PPE delays the lies about testing and tracing. Jeez my 16 year old grandson would do a better jobs than these cretins.

Post #512425  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:20 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Dafatone wrote:

Anyone capable of tying there own shoe laces would out perform the idiot seed spiller.

Post #512426  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:32 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
...They need to be supported and called out for factual errors not political errors...
What does that mean?

Post #512427  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:26 pm 

Looks like Timo Werner has agreed a £50m deal to join chelsea on a 5 year deal.

Post #512428  Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:36 pm 

Rich wrote:

Give me Eddie any day of the week. One of our own, one we can can believe in. May not be a world beater but someone we can connect with.

Post #512429  Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:14 am 

john1 wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Do you seriously believe Starmer would do a better job?

Yes. And by miles.

The leader who cannot decide whether he's pro or anti brexit. You're having a larf

Post #512430  Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:57 am 

bubblechris wrote:
john1 wrote:

Yes. And by miles.

The leader who cannot decide whether he's pro or anti brexit. You're having a larf

You seriously think Boris is doing a better job than Starmer could? Outstanding level of cognitive dissonance.

Post #512431  Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:29 am 

So the UK doesn’t have exclusive rights to idiots. The Portuguese league restarted with a Benfica home game. A crowd gathered outside during the match. Then as the Benfica team bus departed someone lobbed a brick through the window and injured two players with hospital visits ensuing.

Let’s see what the Premier League restart brings (fingers crossed).

Post #512432  Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:19 am 

bubblechris wrote:
john1 wrote:

Yes. And by miles.

Only a fool would believe Brexit was a simple yes or no decision. Didn't the national vote reflect that? See this for Johnson's own toing and froing over the subject.
https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... -on-europe

Post #512433  Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:23 am 

Post #512434  Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:07 pm 

Darren wrote:
Rich wrote:

Give me Eddie any day of the week. One of our own, one we can can believe in. May not be a world beater but someone we can connect with.

And who may turn out to be a very good player. And we have Balogun waiting in the wings who is looking very promising.

Post #512435  Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:22 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Only a fool would believe Brexit was a simple yes or no decision. Didn't the national vote reflect that? See this for Johnson's own toing and froing over the subject.

He made a list of pros and cons and picked the right one. What fool would pick the wrong one?

Post #512436  Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:27 pm 

Darren wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

You seriously think Boris is doing a better job than Starmer could? Outstanding level of cognitive dissonance.

Considering the number of variations he's being presented with every time he makes a decision yes I consider he is doing a fine job.

Only a fool and his dog would say there's only one way to do something but the pathetic levels to which he is being harassed is very sad considering we are at war with Covid.

Post #512437  Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:39 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
He made a list of pros and cons and picked the right one. What fool would pick the wrong one?
Time will tell what was the right choice. I wouldn't criticise any politician for having doubts about leaving or staying in the EU. For all the propaganda on both sides at the time, and the binary nature of a referendum, it was never an easy choice to make. The national result told us that.

Post #512438  Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:13 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Time will tell what was the right choice. I wouldn't criticise any politician for having doubts about leaving or staying in the EU. For all the propaganda on both sides at the time, and the binary nature of a referendum, it was never an easy choice to make. The national result told us that.

Very well said OMOH. But shouldn't the same comment on essence apply to the present Government's handling of Covid 19?

Post #512439  Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:53 am 

Morning forum
Hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe.
Have to say getting a bit worried about these Tierney rumours to Leicester.
Yes he hasn't had the best of starts injury wise but goodness me he looks a player in the few appearances he made.
I'm thinking this is nothing but paper crap because arteta himself has gone on record as saying he will bring something special to the team.
That doesn't strike me as someone we are looking to get our money back on. Surely not???
However the ineptitude we have shown in recent times with poor transfers and decision making in relation to letting players leave for free AND the current financial Climate means anything is possible.
Tierney has to be given a proper run in the team and will prove to be an excellent signing.
Interested to hear what you guys think?
Do you think it is just rubbish paper talk and would you be sorry to see him go??

Post #512440  Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:59 am 

Agree with Darren and Tom.
I think Eddie needs to be trusted and was very surprised with the faith arteta has shown in him.
Really hope he continues to justify the faith shown in him. Have a soft spot for him being a fellow Ghanaian too.
We have the makings of some great strikers coming through with Martinelli too and I pray Balogun is someone arteta wants to give chances to.
I would be happy to trust these 3 if we sold Aubameyang and Lacs.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12808, 12809, 12810, 12811, 12812, 12813, 12814 ... 14269  Next