Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 93 guests

Post #519761  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:11 pm 

Transfer policy has been a massive problem, our players are simply not good enough. We are signing players then having to move them on quickly for whatever reason Torreira, Guendouzi patching the squad up with overpaid makeshift fillers.

Chucking youngsters into the mix who simply aren’t ready like willock, Nketiah even Nelson. Just nowhere near the level required

It’s such a *%^@*** mess

Post #519762  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:18 pm 

Just seen some stats and rankings of where we sit in the league.
Chances created = 20th
Shots on target = 18th
Goals = 17th

If we wanted to be more solid at the back to mean we don't concede so many chances every game it is utterly pointless if we offer nothing, and I mean nothing going forward. It is basically just waiting for the first goal for the opposition and you'll lose the game.

Plenty of teams go through rough periods and the thing that always gets them out of it is character, hard work and a sheer determination to pick up some points no matter what it takes. Where are those players in this squad?

Post #519763  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:47 pm 

Rich wrote:
Just seen some stats and rankings of where we sit in the league.
Chances created = 20th
Shots on target = 18th
Goals = 17th

?

I see Aubameyangs agent just put this on social media. He’s basically highlighting it’s not his client fault. He’s right it’s not. I’ve read all manner of nonsense about Aubameyang now and people talking *%^@ about him not trying since his new contract. He’s scored goals at every level he’s played at. Our fans have rocks in their heads these days

Post #519764  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:47 pm 

James from Gunnerblog stated there is a stat that Arsenal have the least second half shots of all 92 teams in the football league. I assume this season.

Post #519765  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:50 pm 

Souness absolutely hits the nail on the head when talking about Xhaka. Souness says as a central midfielder, particularly a more defensive minded one you should always be looking over your shoulder thinking ‘where are we vulnerable’ and Xhaka never ever does that.

It really is time to give someone else a go

Post #519766  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:54 pm 

Ash wrote:
DHD wrote:

Bit too deep for me there Ash.

Grasshopper stuff.

In that case keep your $@$*#y patronising bollocks to yourself then

Don’t think I was patronising you there Ash. Sorry if you think I was. I just didn’t understand the point you were trying to make.

Post #519767  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:54 pm 

So while Tottenham under Mourinho are first, we are 15th with the only five teams below us being, from 16th down, Brighton, Fulham, Burnley, West Bromwich and Sheffield United. I’m beginning to think we’re fortunate there’s enough absolute rubbish in that group to save us from relegation.

I still support giving Arteta more time as I don’t want Arsenal to become a sacking club. But considering our lack of mobility in midfield I think he’s an idiot getting rid of the player who comfortably gave us the most energy in that area of the pitch, Guendouzi. Moreover, to be honest that’s not the only issue giving me doubts about Arteta.

Post #519768  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:58 pm 

DHD wrote:
Ash wrote:

In that case keep your $@$*#y patronising bollocks to yourself then

Don’t think I was patronising you there Ash. Sorry if you think I was. I just didn’t understand the point you were trying to make.

About Maitland-Niles? Really how hard was that to work out.

Post #519769  Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:09 pm 

Ash wrote:
DHD wrote:

About Maitland-Niles? Really how hard was that to work out.

AMN played a full and very active game on Thursday. He was never going to start today. He might have been on the bench, I grant you but well though he played the other day, he would never have been a part of tonight’s planning.

Post #519770  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:08 am 

john1 wrote:
Bellerin making a habit of foul throws these days

Bellerin passed onto opposition players at least 4 times, and one of them led to the quick attack for their goal. He is no longer a valuable player to the team.

Post #519771  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:24 am 

Rich wrote:
Can we just look at this for the utter chaos that is ready to unfold for the second goal.
Aurier is just about to win the ball from Aubameyang. Partey is hobbling off the pitch on the right touchline which leaves a 3v2 at the back, even if Partey is fit it is a 3v3 which is far too risky....but then add in 2 more spurs mids who are in the gap between our defence and midfield.

One simple pass to Lo Celso and he is in so much space, no one within 25 yards and can’t get near him. One simple clearance becomes a 4 on 2 one minute before half time and the goal kills the game.

Where is the awareness of literally anybody in this team. I don’t blame Bellerin, he’s made a decent run to get in the box and square the ball, it didn’t come off but where is the cover.

And look at where Willian is? Not close enough to support the play, and not anywhere near to defend when needed. Lazily standing far away from the action.

Post #519772  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:27 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I didn’t get up for the game . Just watched 25 min highlights. The moment we started with Partey Xhaka and Willian he lost me. Partey because Arteta is prepared to risk a players long term injury to save his job. We now only have the relegation candidates below us on the table. I really want to vent a lot more but I will say Arteta is a coach not a manager as his man management is appalling. About as bad as Lenos positioning and response on the first goal.

Agree regards Lenos positioning for the first goal.

Post #519773  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:15 am 

gooner7 wrote:
john1 wrote:
Bellerin making a habit of foul throws these days

Bellerin passed onto opposition players at least 4 times, and one of them led to the quick attack for their goal. He is no longer a valuable player to the team.

It's just crazy that Bellerin can't be coached to take a proper throw-in. Maybe that's why we can't score from corners and free kicks.

Arteta was just too desperate yesterday. Playing a half-fit Party was a mistake. Pushing the full backs up was a big mistake. Should have just asked them to stay back and go for 0-0 or nick one on the counter. Getting the wide players to put in 30+ crosses didn't work for two games already - need a new game plan.

Post #519774  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:28 am 

A friend asked me if I thought Arteta's position was irredeemable and if so why. It is a personal opinion but I believe it is. Let me give my reasons. It is not just the results.

Firstly -It is the lack of a cohesive way to play. There is no style of play at all that we are aiming towards. He started with defend, press and score off the break. Other managers have now taken that apart on a regular basis. So, his next plan which he is spruiking in press conferences is numerous crosses and we will score. Crosses are generally recognized as a low return way to score. But an essential is a great header in the box. There are no Alan Gilzean’s in the Arsenal team and while we can get crosses in most players have no ability to pick out a player. It is luck if anyone gets onto the cross at all. Tactically this is a stone age tactic and I can see no value in it. How you hope to bring the players along with you, with such a plan, is a mystery to me.

Secondly - He has his favourites but they are not performing. Just as an example - Willian and Xhaka chosen again when they continue to disappoint. But his players also breach the whole ethos that he is trying to sell to us. The ‘non negotiables’ he told us about. Apparently, Guendouzi’s actions at Brighton were non negotiable. He never played for the club again. Tierney behaved at least to the same extent, if not even worse and no action at all. Willian flew basically 12 hours return for lunch against club and country rules – no action. He is untouchable. If he was playing out of this world he might get away with it but he is not. Ceballos blow ups at training and with M-N before a game and not a word. Last season, Ceballos was whinging about no game time and apparently not training well. What do you know within days a miracle – he is picked. He is not good enough in the position IMO and never will be.

Thirdly – Who plays. Martenelli was not picked to play last for numerous games before he was injured. M-N does not get game time – why not. Saliba – this is a disgrace. Arteta tells us he is good at getting the best out of players and yet he has not worked with this kid at all. Partey – was not fit for the NLD and was sacrificed by Arteta. I won’t even talk thru Özil and Guendouzi on this.

Fourthly – The players he has bought in create long term problems with overpaid underperforming players stuck at the club for many years to come. He were told we would be buying young players and developing them only last year. Now we buy players who are very old and will have no resale value. There is no cohesive plan for the future.

In summary, he would need to change many aspects of his role before I can even consider he should stay beyond this season. Disappointed is the least I can say.

Post #519775  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:36 am 

"I take a lot of positives for the way we played, when we come here in this moment and play with the personality, the courage, the passion, the energy and the belief the boys showed. At the end it's a football match and you have to win it, and we lost again today."

Worrisome, Arteta is beginning to sound like Wenger

Post #519776  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:52 am 

Zed wrote:
Arsenal are a lovely club rich in stature, history, reputation, currently sitting on.....landfill. In the illustrious words of Josh Kroenke, Arsenal are on a "Champions League wage bill on a Europa League budget". Oh yes, please "be excited". So far, 12 years and counting of KSE. Shall we have more? You got it. It ain't over.

When that happened to the Glazers, the father followed the son's advice to just 'shut up, stay out and sign checks'. They were told how much is needed and sanctioned the amount. Let the football people handle it. They have their ups and downs but they can't be accused of being penny pinchers.

It's easy to say it but it really does start at the top. I said a long time ago, when the Kroenke's were being considered over Usmanov. You don't want American owners who don't know/love/respect the sport. They will 'cock it up' as you all say.

Anyway, that said, Arteta? Right man, wrong tactics. Not sure what he's trying to do. I think he'll figure it out eventually. Xhaka must be one helluva practice player. He has the respect of this teammates. Those are the only two attributes I can see. I don't see enough on the pitch to warrant the starts and minutes he gets. Seems a nice enough guy but you don't get points for being nice.

I hope we aren't looking to change managers so quickly. End up like Newcastle, Sunderland, Palace, West Ham and a few others did for a while and have more managers than seasons for a spell. Any big name is going to want to spend.

Post #519777  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:01 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
A friend asked me if I thought Arteta's position was irredeemable and if so why. It is a personal opinion but I believe it is. Let me give my reasons. It is not just the results.

Firstly -It is the lack of a cohesive way to play. There is no style of play at all that we are aiming towards. He started with defend, press and score off the break. Other managers have now taken that apart on a regular basis. So, his next plan which he is spruiking in press conferences is numerous crosses and we will score. Crosses are generally recognized as a low return way to score. But an essential is a great header in the box. There are no Alan Gilzean’s in the Arsenal team and while we can get crosses in most players have no ability to pick out a player. It is luck if anyone gets onto the cross at all. Tactically this is a stone age tactic and I can see no value in it. How you hope to bring the players along with you, with such a plan, is a mystery to me.

Secondly - He has his favourites but they are not performing. Just as an example - Willian and Xhaka chosen again when they continue to disappoint. But his players also breach the whole ethos that he is trying to sell to us. The ‘non negotiables’ he told us about. Apparently, Guendouzi’s actions at Brighton were non negotiable. He never played for the club again. Tierney behaved at least to the same extent, if not even worse and no action at all. Willian flew basically 12 hours return for lunch against club and country rules – no action. He is untouchable. If he was playing out of this world he might get away with it but he is not. Ceballos blow ups at training and with M-N before a game and not a word. Last season, Ceballos was whinging about no game time and apparently not training well. What do you know within days a miracle – he is picked. He is not good enough in the position IMO and never will be.

Thirdly – Who plays. Martenelli was not picked to play last for numerous games before he was injured. M-N does not get game time – why not. Saliba – this is a disgrace. Arteta tells us he is good at getting the best out of players and yet he has not worked with this kid at all. Partey – was not fit for the NLD and was sacrificed by Arteta. I won’t even talk thru Özil and Guendouzi on this.

Fourthly – The players he has bought in create long term problems with overpaid underperforming players stuck at the club for many years to come. He were told we would be buying young players and developing them only last year. Now we buy players who are very old and will have no resale value. There is no cohesive plan for the future.

In summary, he would need to change many aspects of his role before I can even consider he should stay beyond this season. Disappointed is the least I can say.

Very apt, agree 100%

Post #519778  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:03 am 

Bernard wrote:

I still support giving Arteta more time as I don’t want Arsenal to become a sacking club. But considering our lack of mobility in midfield I think he’s an idiot getting rid of the player who comfortably gave us the most energy in that area of the pitch, Guendouzi. Moreover, to be honest that’s not the only issue giving me doubts about Arteta.

I think this is probably an area that is illogical and they should have addressed. Our midfield is the problem in this team and cannot move the ball up the pitch quick enough. Guendouzi is better than Xhaka but so was Torreira in my opinion who seemed a player perfect for a game like yesterday which was a fight. Quite simply Torreira, Ramsey and Guendouzi have been sold and only one of their replacements are of similar quality or better than the player who left. If you take a step back you have to acknowledge that’s naive and a massive mistake

Post #519779  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:05 am 

Hey window lickers, nothing Leno could do about the first goal. It’s a worldie you just need to hold yours hands up. Get a grip folks

Post #519780  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:43 am 

We are exactly where we deserve to be. Of all the teams above us in the league it’s probably only Newcastle who have an attack weaker than ours. And in Callum Wilson they have a striker who individually would still walk in to our side.
I look at the teams below us, Brighton, Fulham, West Brom, Burnley, Sheff Utd and think that’s about right as those are the only teams worse than us in the league. And yet every single one of them would give us a tough game.

Post #519781  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:45 am 

DHD wrote:
Ash wrote:
AMN played a full and very active game on Thursday. He was never going to start today. He might have been on the bench, I grant you but well though he played the other day, he would never have been a part of tonight’s planning.

Isn’t that just pointless though? If you pre pick the team for thursdays and sundays irrespective of any sort of form or nod to tactics and opposition that’s crazy.

Post #519782  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:56 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hey window lickers, nothing Leno could do about the first goal. It’s a worldie you just need to hold yours hands up. Get a grip folks

So you say but others think differently. His positioning was the problem. He was in no mans land.

Post #519783  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:00 am 

Goonie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

It's just crazy that Bellerin can't be coached to take a proper throw-in. Maybe that's why we can't score from corners and free kicks.

Arteta was just too desperate yesterday. Playing a half-fit Party was a mistake. Pushing the full backs up was a big mistake. Should have just asked them to stay back and go for 0-0 or nick one on the counter. Getting the wide players to put in 30+ crosses didn't work for two games already - need a new game plan.

The mistake was playing him as the attacking midfielder. If he'd played defensive mid he would have used his brains more and his legs less.

Post #519784  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:29 am 

Rich wrote:
I look at the teams below us, Brighton, Fulham, West Brom, Burnley, Sheff Utd and think that’s about right as those are the only teams worse than us in the league. And yet every single one of them would give us a tough game.

If Brighton win tonight we’ll drop below them to 16th. They’re three points behind with a game in hand, but already have a better goal difference. This is Brighton’s game in hand and a win by any score at all will put them above Arsenal.

They’re playing Southampton who are having a good season. So Southampton probably start favourites. But as Brighton are at home it’s hardly impossible for them to win.

Post #519785  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:56 am 

My summary of our offensive ability right now:
We struggle to look a threat from set pieces
We lack anyone good enough in the air to make crossing tactics work
We don’t get enough bodies in the box to make crossing tactics work
We don’t have consistently good enough delivery to make crossing tactics work
We don’t have forwards who make runs in behind
We don’t have midfielders who see the passes quickly enough to play balls in behind
We lack pace all over the pitch which negates any counter attacking opportunities
We lack players who can dribble and beat a man
We lack anyone at all who can unlock a defence with cute 1 touch football and triangles
We start most of our attacking moves 70 yards from goal
Too many players are afraid or unable to play a riskier pass to make something happen

Post #519786  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:11 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

So you say but others think differently. His positioning was the problem. He was in no mans land.

It’s a 25 yard screamer right in the corner. He’s not the problem but whilst we are not creating anything people micro analyse every other aspect of our failures

Get a grip

Post #519787  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:18 am 

Rich wrote:
We don’t have midfielders who see the passes quickly enough to play balls in behind
We lack pace all over the pitch which negates any counter attacking opportunities
We lack anyone at all who can unlock a defence with cute 1 touch football and triangles
Too many players are afraid or unable to play a riskier pass to make something happen

Don’t agree on the forwards and wingers. They are good players many who have proved themselves on countless occasions and of course Aubameyangs career has been solely about getting in behind.

It’s the midfield. Can’t create chances and move us up the pitch quick enough and as a consequence we don’t get our wide players and strikers in the space to see them operate well. We have no through ball just crosses.

We need 3 new midfield players. It must soul destroying for Lacazette and Aubameyang to have to endure a barrage of abuse about their performances. Neither player had a clear and obvious strike on goal they missed yesterday.

Post #519788  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:26 am 

Ornstein saying Szoboszlai's release clause of 25 million euros must be paid in full and Salzburg have a 20% sell on fee as part of the clause.
We're crying out for a player like him - but it is pointless us buying individuals and putting them in this team and expecting them to carry us. We have to have multiple threats.
Take Partey for instances, head and shoulders above our midfield, everyone saw how he dominated the game from back to front against Man U - Leicester cut off any passing channels in to him and Spurs sat Lo Celso on him all first half. Teams have also worked out Aubameyang is the only goal threat. If you play Arsenal you just cover the 3 best players and you nullify the whole team.

Post #519789  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:27 am 

I have said thi several times but I am not convinced by Arteta. He does not have the greatest squad in the world but he does hve one that should be capable of higher than 15th. I am puzzled by his team selections, his tactics and his substitutions. His man management is also a concern with some players seemingly subject to preferential treatment.

He is rookie manager who is basically learning on the job. He talks the talk but is finding it inceasingly difficult to walk the walk. His FA cup win gave him some breathing space but I am just not sure. He might be a fantastic manager in 5 years time but can we really wait that long?.

Personally, I'd try for Poch or Allegri before they end up elsewhere.

Post #519790  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Don’t agree on the forwards and wingers. They are good players many who have proved themselves on countless occasions and of course Aubameyangs career has been solely about getting in behind.

It’s the midfield. Can’t create chances and move us up the pitch quick enough and as a consequence we don’t get our wide players and strikers in the space to see them operate well. We have no through ball just crosses.

We need 3 new midfield players. It must soul destroying for Lacazette and Aubameyang to have to endure a barrage of abuse about their performances. Neither player had a clear and obvious strike on goal they missed yesterday.

I don't see Aubameyang or any of our forward players make runs in behind, or in to the channels. Part of that may be because they know no one is good enough to see or play that pass to them so they think what is the point?
As for the wingers, when was the last time we saw an Arsenal winger pick the ball up about 40 yards out and just drive straight at the full back? The standard play is to slowly amble about 10-15 yards forward, just to the point where the defender decides he's backed off enough and will no go and engage and the ball goes backwards or square

Post #519791  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:04 am 

So assuming Partey is out until after Xmas, what is the midfield Arteta picks for the next 2 home games.
Against Burnley you'd expect them to sit deep and defend the box
Against Southampton you'd expect them to press high and play high energy high tempo football

If we were Liverpool or City you'd just pick your best midfield because the midfield you have is better than both of the midfield's your facing and the players you have can combine high tempo, work ethic, pace and creativity. However we are certainly not that and we have a midfield with huge flaws and players who are going to be suited to one game and not the next which is why we shouldnt be picking the same midfield against each side.

The Southampton game is easier to pick in my mind, a high press means an open game if we can pass the ball quickly enough and we must match their high tempo so in the current team you have to go for Elneny and AMN in central midfield

Against Burnley we need players who might be able to create. I really don't want it to have to be a midfield of Xhaka and Ceballos. I we can't keep hanging Willock out to dry in a No.10 position. In my view in that game you need a disciplined sitter (lets say that is Elneny) and then 2 No.8s. That could be Saka and Willock, or you could try Willian in that role - not that he deserves it - or if Smith-Rowe is up to fitness Id honestly give him a go.

Post #519792  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

It’s a 25 yard screamer right in the corner. He’s not the problem but whilst we are not creating anything people micro analyse every other aspect of our failures

Get a grip

Ring up Graeme Souness and tell him plus a number of other newspaper ratings which mentioned it. I suppose you don’t agree with football London who I think also asked how he was beaten on the near post by Kane. You can defend him all you like but you are wrong again.

Post #519793  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:09 am 

socrates wrote:
I have said thi several times but I am not convinced by Arteta. He does not have the greatest squad in the world but he does hve one that should be capable of higher than 15th. I am puzzled by his team selections, his tactics and his substitutions. His man management is also a concern with some players seemingly subject to preferential treatment.

He is rookie manager who is basically learning on the job. He talks the talk but is finding it inceasingly difficult to walk the walk. His FA cup win gave him some breathing space but I am just not sure. He might be a fantastic manager in 5 years time but can we really wait that long?.

Personally, I'd try for Poch or Allegri before they end up elsewhere.

I concur

Post #519794  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:22 am 

We're just *%^@. It's that simple. Bad recruitment, not just on the pitch but further up the chain and an owner who really doesn't see us as anything other than an asset, albeit one that will be losing value.

If Arteta was to go, who makes the next choice? Edu? Vinai? Josh? Anyone in that list you'd back to get it right? I think we've thrown everything in with Arteta, there's not even anyone in his backroom staff you'd fancy to step in as a caretaker is there? I say stick with him, back him in the upcoming window and see where we are after that. Whilst not really comparing it's worth noting that Fergie was one game from the sack at Utd and his first four league finishes were 11th, 2nd, 12th, 13th. Different era, yes but sometimes patience plays out to your advantage, other times it doesn't. I think we have to be patient because if nothing else, we just don't have the nouse at the club to do anything else.

Ps. Allegri wouldn't come to Arsenal. He wants a ready-made project he can step into. We're too much of a basket case currently.

Post #519795  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:23 am 

I'd love us to sign the RB Lamptey from Brighton. Young, fast, bundles of energy and quality as well. Perfect for a side trying to rebuild.

Post #519796  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:29 am 

Darren wrote:
We're just *%^@. It's that simple. Bad recruitment, not just on the pitch but further up the chain and an owner who really doesn't see us as anything other than an asset, albeit one that will be losing value.

If Arteta was to go, who makes the next choice? Edu? Vinai? Josh? Anyone in that list you'd back to get it right? I think we've thrown everything in with Arteta, there's not even anyone in his backroom staff you'd fancy to step in as a caretaker is there? I say stick with him, back him in the upcoming window and see where we are after that. Whilst not really comparing it's worth noting that Fergie was one game from the sack at Utd and his first four league finishes were 11th, 2nd, 12th, 13th. Different era, yes but sometimes patience plays out to your advantage, other times it doesn't. I think we have to be patient because if nothing else, we just don't have the nouse at the club to do anything else.

Ps. Allegri wouldn't come to Arsenal. He wants a ready-made project he can step into. We're too much of a basket case currently.

You are probably right Darren but sometimes guys with massive egos think they can make a once great team great again.

Poch might not be willing to come either with his Spuds connections but you never know until you try.

I just think Arteta is a rookie who needs to cut his managerial teeth at a lesser club. His ideas and philosophy sound great but implementing them is another thing entirely.

I know I will probably get laughed at but if we stick with him then see if we can get Wenger in as his no 2. His experience coupled with Arteta's ideas might be the perfect combination (or not) :laughing7:

Think about it Wenger's ego is too big to accept a no.2 role so I'd best shut up.

Post #519797  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:44 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don't see Aubameyang or any of our forward players make runs in behind, or in to the channels. Part of that may be because they know no one is good enough to see or play that pass to them so they think what is the point?
As for the wingers, when was the last time we saw an Arsenal winger pick the ball up about 40 yards out and just drive straight at the full back? The standard play is to slowly amble about 10-15 yards forward, just to the point where the defender decides he's backed off enough and will no go and engage and the ball goes backwards or square

Willian scored 11 goals for all competitions for chelsea last season and also provided 9 assists not to mention has 70 caps for Brazil. Yet he’s not good enough for us ? How do you explain that? I don’t believe it. Lacazette and Aubameyang who have both scored goals all their lives are now not up to it? I don’t believe it

We are a car with no engine and everybody is criticising the wheels and brakes for it not moving.

Post #519798  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:49 am 

Do people believe Pochettino would touch arsenal with a barge pole :laughing7:

Allegri already turned us down because he said we would need a 150 million investment to compete.

Darren’s right we are a basket case right now and our fans are refusing to believe reality

Post #519799  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:58 am 

Bernard wrote:
So while Tottenham under Mourinho are first, we are 15th with the only five teams below us being, from 16th down, Brighton, Fulham, Burnley, West Bromwich and Sheffield United. I’m beginning to think we’re fortunate there’s enough absolute rubbish in that group to save us from relegation.

To be fair all the reports suggested Guendouzi had a real attitude problem and was disruptive.

Post #519800  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:05 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Willian scored 11 goals for all competitions for chelsea last season and also provided 9 assists not to mention has 70 caps for Brazil. Yet he’s not good enough for us ? How do you explain that? I don’t believe it. Lacazette and Aubameyang who have both scored goals all their lives are now not up to it? I don’t believe it

We are a car with no engine and everybody is criticising the wheels and brakes for it not moving.

I'm with you on that, but at the moment none of them are producing for us. Strikers aren't making runs and wingers aren't dribbling at defenders. Of course we've seen them do it before and for other clubs so why aren't they doing it for us. The whole system is broken, and I agree with you it stems from midfield but everyone needs to take responsibility.
We need to look at every aspect of our play because I don't think you can just fix one aspect of what I listed above, each one of those is the cause and the result of another. It can become a bit chicken and egg. ie: Midfielder looks up and sees space behind but no one making a run, so keeps it safe. Striker has already made the run but midfielder was too slow to see it, so he doesn't bother making the run again because he has no faith in midfielder finding him.
Of course the midfield is the main thing to fix, but if we had Salah/Mané/Firminho as our front 3 they would be a lot more movement and incisiveness.

To be honest I think we can dress up any sort of tactics or style but for me it mostly boils down to a lack of quality right through the team. I also think you could take a number of the individual players and put them in a better team and they'd look quite at home and far from the weak link.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12992, 12993, 12994, 12995, 12996, 12997, 12998 ... 14269  Next